Waive Babies

Everyone has their favourite subjects, one of mine is acquiring players via waivers. Edmonton claimed Brandon Davidson and Nathan Walker last season and I’m going to bet there will be some impressive offensive forwards sliding through waivers in the fall. Will Edmonton grab one?

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $5 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.

WAIVE BABIES

I do this every year, list all the wonderful skill forwards and defensemen who are available. The Oilers claims have gone to Ryan Jones, Steve MacIntyre and others, but I remain convinced one sweet day they’ll strike it rich like Leduc No. 1. Last year it was Brandon Davidson and Nathan Walker, this year my vote goes to.

• Anaheim: Chase De Leo. The Ducks traded for him at the end of June. He scored 69, 12-23-35 in the AHL and I think he could easily replace Drake Caggiula (they are similar players) at a far lower cap hit.
  • Arizona: Michael Bunting. I liked his speed and skill on draft day 2014, not much has changed. His AHL totals (67, 23-20-43) showed marked improvement and he has to be close to making his NHL debut.
  • Florida: Frank Vatrano. The Panthers shuffle players with extreme regularity, Vatrano has some offensive touch and doesn’t cost a lot.
  • Tampa Bay: Adam Erne. He’s been a slow developing player in a machine gun system, but I like his size/speed/low center of gravity. He’s the kind of player who can dig out pucks for the skill forwards.
  • Toronto: Josh Leivo. Toronto has a bunch of kids who are pushing by him (Johnsson for sure) but Leivo remains a worthy bet.
  • Winnipeg: Marko Dano. Has many nice things, including speed and skill. Bloom is off the rose now but maybe all he needs is a change of scenery. Has played for three NHL teams, that’s a lot for someone 24 who isn’t completely established.

TY RATTIE

Had a couple of conversations yesterday about right wing. Ty Rattie is among a group of players vying for time on the skill lines in 2018-19, and I suspect he’ll get the lion’s share of the early McDavid RW minutes. Rattie is a little unusual for a skill NHL winger, he is 25 and has played fewer than 50 NHL games. Since the turn of the century, there aren’t many players who are comparable to Rattie who went on to significant NHL success:

• Matt Moulson 0.41 points-per-game through 2008-09 (22 games)
  • Daniel Carr 0.39 points-per-game through 2015-16 (23 games)
  • Ty Rattie 0.39 points-per-game through 2017-18 (49 games)
  • Ryan Jones 0.36 points-per-game through 2008-09 (46 games)
  • Dominik Simon 0.37 points-per-game through 2017-18 (38 games)
  • Source

I hope you recall my Farm Workers post I write every spring and you may recall the passage about men who are similar to Ty Rattie. It discusses their chances of making the NHL as skilled men after significant minor-league time.

• For Rob Schremp fans, there’s exactly ONE pure offensive player who made it: Mike WaltonCondors 16-17: If Leon had stayed a whole season on the farm, we could claim him as an example, but offense is too valuable. Chiarelli kept David Krejci on the farm for a time, he would be an example. Source

Mike Walton was not similar to Rob Schremp or Ty Rattie but did in fact play a lot on the minors (172 games) before beginning his NHL career (588 games). He was an NHL regular on his way to 30 goals at age 22. Rattie is 25, has played 49 NHL games and 268 AHL games at this point in his career, so expecting 201 NHL goals (Walton’s total) is a stretch. That said, Rattie has a shot, we’ll see if he can keep the job (his work with Nuge and McDavid 5-on-5 was impressive in goal differential, but a sawoff in possession).

Bob’s math is correct here (see below) but I’m not certain it is a wise path for Edmonton. As I wrote in my article for The Athletic yesterday, there are still players out there who can help. Perhaps the plan is to invite some at the lower end (Jason Chimera, Joe Colborne) to camp.

50-MAN LIST

If this is the roster (with additions mentioned above) I think we can safely guess Edmonton’s opening night lineup:

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid—Ty Rattie
  • Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Tobias Rieder
  • Jujhar Khaira—Ryan Strome—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Drake Caggiula—Kyle Brodziak—Zack Kassian
  • Pontus Aberg
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Darnell Nurse—Matt Benning
  • Andrej Sekera—Kris Russell
  • Kevin Gravel—Evan Bouchard
  • Cam Talbot—Mikko Koskinen

Rattie gets the first lash at No. 1 right wing, Kailer Yamamoto walks the streets of Bakersfield. For me personally, I would not invest another season in Milan Lucic as the No. 2 left wing, but Todd McLellan is going to push the veterans so Leon’s likely wingers out of the box are Lucic and Rieder. I like that third line and they did some good business in a very small sample one year ago:

• Khaira—Strome—Puljujarvi: 28 minutes, 52 percent Corsi for 5-on-5, 4-0 goal differential (Corsica)

That might be the No. 3 line this coming season. I like it.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we have a full boat, doesn’t matter what happens on the river. TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Mike Heika, DallasStars.com. The Erik Karlsson trade talk continues into mid-July.
  • John Horn, aroundthehornmedia. We’ll chat Milos and the brilliance of Wimbledon.
  • Rob Vollman, NHL.com and ESPN. Smart dollars in free agency, what’s left?
  • Murat Ates, The Athletic Winnipeg. Connor Hellebuyck is getting paid.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

232 Responses to "Waive Babies"

« Older Comments
  1. Paddy Morans Jockstrap says:

Here are the first three options (with scoring stats and NHL games) listed by Lowetide for top 6 RW:

Rattie 9-10-19 (49 games)
    Puljujarvi 13-15-28 (93 games)
    Aberg 5-13-18 (68 games)

Here is the 4th guy on his list of RW:

Kassian 52-65-117 (387 games)

Seems pretty obvious who you should try first in the top 6 instead of two AAAA wingers (Rattie and Aberg) or a slow developing 19 year old. But nobody in the media suggests that and coach seems allergic to the guy. Although far from a perfect player, Kassian hits, checks and has speed to keep up with twice the NHL experience and double the goals of all the others combined.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

PokeCheck:
    “Darnell Nurse isn’t interested in a long-term deal with the Edmonton Oilers”
    Source: https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/nhl-edmonton-oilers-darnell-nurse-not-interested-in-long-term-contract?video_autoplay=false

To be clear (for those that don’t read the article), his agent is stating that the Oilers don’t have the cap room to sign him long term, not that he wouldn’t be interested in signing long term if they numbers worked.

Its interesting that the agent directly points to the Koskinen contract as a reason for this.

3. Georges says:

Ryan: Yup.

Initially good teams pounded the hell out of also rans on both the shot clock and goal sheet.

Then shitty teams started chasing Corsi which obfuscated this correlation.

Goodbye correlation.

This theory doesn’t hold up according to the NST data. At least, not last season.

CF% and HDCF% correlation with GF% were at the same level, .32 and .30 respectively.

4. Gerta Rauss says:

Bay City Rollers Aug 76- I was 11, my older sisters took me

Bag of Pucks: My first concert was KISS with Cheap Trick as opening act.

I was at that show-summer ’77

To CHI:
    Kruger
    Entwhistle
    Maletta
    Campbell
    2019 5th

ARI had just traded Martinook for Kruger who was assumed to be 4C, but looking at Rel and RelT Hinostroza is the better player and younger so that’s a win.

Oesterle is a legit 6/7 imo, maybe more.

Looks like Maletta (RHC) is not doing well in the AHL, Campbell is an AHLer and Entwistle (RHC)is a B/C level prospect.

So ARI loses:

1) one prospect to CHI

ARI gains:
    Upgrade on 4C
    Actual NHL 6/7 Dman (might be more)
    Moves 2 contracts they probably don’t want (Maletta, Campbell)
    Upgrades a 5th to a 3rd

Great deal for ARI and CHI gets their cap space.

7. Jethro Tull says:

RonnieB: Also. Hossa only costs $200K annually because 80% of his remaining 3 X $1 million salary is paid by insurance.

Hossa’s cap hit is $5.275 M per year. Where did you get 3 x $1m?

8. GBandQ says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Hmmm. We got Dokken as openers.

Later saw Queensryche open for AC/DC in Edm.
    Likely the most debauched concert adventure i’ve ever been on. 3 Dash Tours busses picked us up along the TC highway, busses full of rowdy coke-snortin’ metalheads (and me and my equally-naive two 17-year-old friends). A stop at a McDonald’s along 8th Street in Saskatoon resulted in property damage and the cops being called (years later, i worked with a guy at S’toon Earl’s who was actually behind the counter that day)… tour included a hotel near Northlands, which just happened to feature a strip club. Lot of firsts on that trip!

9. Gerta Rauss says:

Jethro Tull: Hossa’s cap hit is $5.275 M per year. Where did you get 3 x $1m?

10. Wonder Llama says:

First concert: Kenny Rogers and the First Edition at the Regina Centre of the Arts around 1974.

First w/o parents: Rush (Hemispheres tour).

Seen most often: Broken Social Scene

Best show ever: Radiohead at Bonnaroo 2006

Next concert: Echo and the Bunnymen with Violent Femmes in Nashville next week

This is what I contribute because I know how outclassed I am in hockey talk.

11. GBandQ says:

stephen sheps,

stephen sheps:
    What’s this about 1st concerts?

Big stadium show: Rolling Stones 94 at commonwealth.

All ages punk show: Furnaceface at the Bronx – how’s that for 90s cancon, Romulus Apotheosis,?

Ok, we could start a whole new thread about 90s music.

Furnaceface at the Bronx was great. So many great little Canadian bands… Jale, Killjoys, the Inbreds, Hardship Post, Treble Charger, Joel Plaskett Emergency…

Also… Rheostatics at the Powerplant, Bob Wiseman at the Sidetrack

Worked nights for a time in the kitchen at the Sidetrack, heard all sorts of great stuff. Valdy, Eric Burdon… even made a 2am ham sandwich for Bo Diddley!

12. Jethro Tull says:

Gerta Rauss: Hossa signed one of those back diving contracts (since outlawed by Sheriff Bettman)-his salary is $1m in the last 3 years of his contract

Ahh, I believe he had a front loaded contract, but your link still states that although he’s only paid $1M, his cap hit is still $5.275m, unless I’m reading it wrong.

13. Gerta Rauss says:

Jethro Tull,

Teams used to be able to tack on “fake” years on the end of a contract and agree to a salary far less than market, and the cap hit would be reduced significantly for the overall contract. And there was an implied agreement that the player may or may not be around for these last few years.

I think the Luongo contract was the tipping point and Bettman outlawed them in the last CBA. I believe it’s called cap recapture penalties.

*edit-Lou and Kovalchuk in NJ weren’t making any friends at NHL HQ either

*edit2-yes, you’ve got that right, his cap hit is $5.25m

*edit3-take a look at Luongo’s salary-he gets paid $850k the last 2 years of the deal. Imagine the hardship in the Luongo household..:)

14. rickithebear says:

Georges:
    rickithebear,

Aww, why’d you have to pick on Giordano? Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic… sure. Why Gio? His numbers are dreamy.

He yield hi HD penetration.
    But he has one of the worst 2nd Shot open shot rates as a dman.
    The save % avg for him is bottom of league.
    Brodie LD – Gio is a symbiotic pair that is HD sublime.

Hamilton addition by subtraction.

Gio’s Strength part of rare High sh% PP d.
    Not a pocession waste on PP.

But 7.35g is even diff wise on PP
    2.35g is even diff wise at even.
    PPG have 3 times less goal diff value to evg.
    That is why you want elite Even GA defence.

Low GA wins Conf/cup championships.

15. northerndancer says:

PokeCheck,

PokeCheck

Not surprise he would bet on himself and on increased cap room moving forward.

Most memorable single human musical performance was Taj Mahal at the Broadway Theatre in Saskatoon, sometime in the hazy early 80’s. He had the crowd dancing through his entire second set. Solo….awesome.

16. rickithebear says:

Georges: “Then good teams started chasing HD chances while shitty teams continued to chase Corsi.”

As the season goal count climbs the HD:LD ratio reduces.
    The shrinking of goalie equipment.
    How I forgot about the change in Goal equip this year while I finalized Coal conversion data.
    So pissed me off.

17. Georges says:

rickithebear,

If his shots against rate is high and his sv % is low, then his goals against would be terrible.

I don’t think it is. I don’t have the data in front of me, but his on-ice GF% is consistently on the right side of 50.

And his Rel GF% is highly positive. Over his career, his team has done significantly better with him on the ice. He’s one of very few defenders that I can say this about. Hedman and Lidstrom are a couple of others.

18. Georges says:

rickithebear: As the season goal count climbs the HD:LD ratio reduces.
    The shrinking of goalie equipment.
    So pissed me off.

Nope. This one’s too cryptic.

Wonder Llama:

First w/o parents: Rush (Hemispheres tour).

Seen most often: Broken Social Scene

Best show ever: Radiohead at Bonnaroo 2006

Next concert: Echo and the Bunnymen with Violent Femmes in Nashville next week

This is what I contribute because I know how outclassed I am in hockey talk.

That’s a helluva list.

20. Craig Zonit says:

PokeCheck,

My first big concert was also Radiohead, touring the sublime In Rainbows in 2008.

They were a very different band by that point in many ways. But I agree that nothing I’ve been to since has measured up. Incredibly cohesive unit, with drummer Phil Selway leading the charge (h/t Melvis).

I’m young, but I learned that you hold on to a good drummer a long time ago. However you all have taught me a great deal about whisky, investing, and handedness.

21. BONE207 says:

Wilde,

That is a rough, rough , rough essay. Damn good work Mr. Wilde.
    Maybe you should consider the Athletic job.
    I enjoy your efforts. I hope someone applies some of your thoughts.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JimmyV1965: – [ ] As far as salary dumps go i think the return was pretty meh. The Hawks can do an awful lot with that extra cap space. I don’t have a good memory on recent salary dump trades, but didn’t the Sabres just get Connor Sheary in a salary dump?

The Hawks have won one playoff round in 3 years.

They traded away Kempny and signed Manning.

Their Dcorps now is: Keith, Seabrook, Rutta, Murphy, Manning, Gustavsson

Unless Crawford stays healthy all year and is still Crawford it will probably be one playoff round in 4 year.

23. Melvis says:

I’m up fairly early most days glancing off a few art related webs.

I thought Woodguy might be interested in this. I quite like Helen O’Leary and if I was a collector I might look at an acquisition, especially if it suited a company or corporate wall.

24. Yeti says:

Wonder Llama:

First w/o parents: Rush (Hemispheres tour).

Seen most often: Broken Social Scene

Best show ever: Radiohead at Bonnaroo 2006

Next concert: Echo and the Bunnymen with Violent Femmes in Nashville next week

This is what I contribute because I know how outclassed I am in hockey talk.

That’s quite the cool llist you llovely camelid!

My first concert: Santana at the Hammersmith Apollo.
    Favourite concert: Rolling Stones in the Azteca stadium, Mexico City 1999.
    Last (big) concert: Steven Wilson @ the Circus, Helsinki.

25. Professor Q says:

My first concert was actually in the former Copps Colosseum, which I thought was interesting given a few years later Mr. Jim Balsillie would purchase it with the intent of adding another Canadian NHL franchise.

“Toronto doesn’t want Hamilton to have an NHL team because then they’d be jealous and want one too!”

Anyway, the concert at the time was a “Battle Cry” Acquire the Fire event (can’t find the ticket or full lineup anymore) with Skillet, P.O.D. (who couldn’t make it as their vehicle had broken down or something, but still called in to the arena apologizing), and Casting Crowns (there were other bands, one of which I got a signed shirt from, but I forget their names). It turns out that the A.T.F. event was very controversial regarding its affect on vulnerable youth, and the whole Teen Mania stuff was shut down a number of years later. Glad I had gotten out of that scene shortly after that event.

Anyway, my next concert, which was my favourite of all time, was during Oktoberfest in Kitchener (second largest celebration outside of Munich!). We were just in this large beer tent, and after two polka bands (world-famous ones) did their thing, we were treated to Our Lady Peace ending their Naveed and Clumsy re-release tour while beginning their Burn, Burn tour.

Basically, imagine beer, pretzels, and Our Lady Peace going through three albums (basically 3 concerts in one, and playing for 3 hours). One of the band members said they’d see us after the show (my friend and I were in the front of the line), but after waiting for a bit their manager came and told us they had left already, so tough luck. Of course, we could see through the curtains that they were still packing up so we knew the manager was being a control freak. Still have a Burn, Burn CD and a signed poster from that night, though.

Most recent concert was a Kim Mitchell and The Tea Party gig down at Victoria Park here in London. Amazing show and the first time I’ve even heard of Kim Mitchell!

Our Lady Peace, The Offspring (last year’s Rock The Park), The Tea Party. I need just a few more (I missed the Bush and Moist concert they had here a few years ago) and my ’90s wishlist will be almost complete!

There’s an Aqua, Prozzäk, and Whigfield concert coming up soon here, too. Should be very cool.

26. €√¥£€^$ says:

digger50: Honeymoon Suite?Wonder where this came from this morning?

One of my favourite bands really. I’m not much of a music expert, I just believe in how music makes you feel and where it takes you.

In those years I bounced through every little watering hole in Western Canada. The local Zoo. And on every stop it seemed there was a small touring band pumping out Honeymoon Suite songs. Fun times, wild times and fantastic memories. Seen the real Mcoy only twice though.

I loved Honeymoon Suite growing up in the mid-80’s, and as a teen who loved guitar-driven rock music, (and a big fan of Can-con) I had no opportunities to experience live music as a teenager (not including local yokel country music) so it was an absolute thrill when I got to see them live. Very early in 1990 at CFB Gagetown (just outside of Fredericton) they were performing at the junior ranks club one Friday night. I think it was something like a $10.00 cover charge and I sat no more than 15 feet from the stage (the place was very small, I don’t think it held 250 people). It was a surreal experience for me at that time in my life (I was 20 yrs old).

Fast forward to 1999 and I was sitting at the McDonalds in Cold Lake with my young family one morning and I see a guy walk in who reminded me of Rod Stewart, but looked vaguely familiar, and then a minute later a few more guys follow him in. There was Honeymoon Suite walking into Rotten Ron’s for a late breakfast in Cold Lake and it brought me back to that experience, which had been one of the highlights of my life to that point.

Also, in Cold Lake, my Sergeant and I had gotten together a few times to sing (I used to write lyrics almost daily through my teen years, but I had never learned to play an instrument) either at karaoke or at his place with him playing his acoustic guitar. He had grown up in St. Catherines-Niagra and had told me he used to jam with the band members in one of their basements pre-Honeymoon Suite when he was a teenager. Apparently at one point they had asked him to be their lead singer, but he told me he really wasn’t interested in making such a commitment like that at that time in his life. He had a great voice, and it was better than their lead singer’s voice, but I am sure he would have eventually been replaced since he wasn’t “pretty” enough to be the front man for an 80’s rock band.

First concert: Eric Clapton (Bos Skaggs opening), late seventies Northlands.
    Last concert: Courtney Barnett, Tuesday, Danforth Music Hall.
    Next concert: Janelle Monae, Monday, whatever they are calling the place down at Polson Pier these days…Rebel, I think)

Most significant concerts:

Gang of Four, Carleton U, Summer 1981
    Feist, solo, Cameron House, a couple of years before she broke, early 2000’s
    (and at a CMW show upstairs at the Big Bop, even before that in 2000 thereabouts)

Guilty Pleasure: The Corrs at Barrymore’s in Ottawa in the late nineties. I was right in front of the stage. Like I could have reached out and touched Andrea Corr. Some of her sweat blessed me.

I have had the good fortune to see my favorite bands multiple times…R.E.M., 4 times in the eighties, before Losing My Religion, Wilco, multiple times, The Roots, multiple times, Radiohead, Rheostatics, Sarah Harmer, Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Metric (when they were playing in Clubs)

28. deardylan says:

Best show ever: Bob Dylan’s 1st concert in Vietnam on a small university cricket pitch at RMIT Vietnam.
    First concert: John Denver, Bruce Coburn and Barenaked Ladies at a Toronto Hippy Event.
    First w/o parents: Pope John Paul Visit to Canada with Choir Singers at Downview Airport
    Seen most often: Bruce Springsteen in Edmonton Coliseum and Ireland RDS Field.
    Loudest Concert: Metallica around the release of their Black album.
    Best Bang for the Buck Concert: M.Manson in 1990s.
    Most money ever made at a Concert: Rolling Stones in 90s.
    First concert I snuck into and had front row seats: Eagles (Hell Freezes Over Tour)
    Next concert: In Toronto for Caribbean Festival.

29. Wonder Llama says:

godot10:
    First concert: Eric Clapton (Bos Skaggs opening), late seventies Northlands.
    Last concert: Courtney Barnett, Tuesday, Danforth Music Hall.

Most significant concerts:

Gang of Four, Carleton U, Summer 1981
    Feist, solo, Cameron House, a couple of years before she broke, early 2000’s

Guilty Pleasure: The Corrs at Barrymore’s in Ottawa in the late nineties. I was right in front of the stage. Like I could have reached out and touched Andrea Corr.Some of her sweat blessed me.

You saw Gang of Four back in the day?

I don’t even want to think about what I ‘d give to see them or The Jam in their prime.

Nice.

30. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GBandQ:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Hmmm. We got Dokken as openers.

Later saw Queensryche open for AC/DC in Edm.
    Likely the most debauched concert adventure i’ve ever been on. 3 Dash Tours busses picked us up along the TC highway, busses full of rowdy coke-snortin’ metalheads (and me and my equally-naive two 17-year-old friends). A stop at a McDonald’s along 8th Streetin Saskatoon resulted in property damage and the cops being called (years later, i worked with a guy at S’toon Earl’s who was actually behind the counter that day)… tour included a hotel near Northlands, which just happened to feature a strip club. Lot of firsts on that trip!

Yeah, QR’s first show was supposed to be the EDM show and they got held up at the border so Sentinal filled in.

Wonder Llama: You saw Gang of Four back in the day?

Nice.

Yes. I saw Gang of Four in ’81. Effing changed my life forever.

godot10: Yes.I saw Gang of Four in ’81.Effing changed my life forever.

Fantastic sound.