The Edmonton Oilers added Scottie Upshall on a PTO yesterday and things are far more interesting because of it. As I mentioned in an article for The Athletic Sunday, general manager Peter Chiarelli has a few more options than he did previously. The combination of Andrej Sekera’s injury and Upshall’s addition makes things…interesting.
Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $4 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.
- New Lowetide: No. 7 prospect—Tyler Benson.
- New Lowetide: Oilers sign Scottie Upshall to PTO, expand options
- Jonathan Willis: No. 8 prospect—Caleb Jones.
- Lowetide: Are there any outliers headed to Oilers camp who could steal a job?
- Jonathan Willis: State of the franchise.
- Jonathan Willis: With Andrej Sekera injured, how should the Oilers proceed?
- The Athletic Cross Canada Tour Will hit Edmonton!
- Lowetide: No. 9 prospect—Filip Berglund.
- Jonathan Willis: No. 10 prospect—Dmitri Samorukov.
- Lowetide: No. 11 prospect—Stuart Skinner’s net worth.
- Jonathan Willis: No. 12 prospect—Joel Persson.
- Lowetide: No. 13 prospect—Ostap Safin
- Jonathan Willis: No. 14 prospect—Olivier Rodrigue
- Lowetide: No. 15 prospect—William Lagesson
- Jonathan Willis: No. 16 prospect—Cameron Hebig
- Lowetide: No. 17 prospect—Graham McPhee
- Jonathan Willis: No. 18 prospect—Ryan Mantha
- Lowetide: No. 19 prospect—John Marino
- Jonathan Willis: No. 20 prospect—Tyler Vesel
- Lowetide: Top 20 prospects: Forwards outside the top 20
- Jonathan Willis: Are Hayden Hawkey and Phil Kemp underrated gems?
- Lowetide: Assessing the cost of the Oilers ill-advised AHL experiment.
- Lowetide: Oilers 2013 draft: Two NHL players and one crazy trade.
- Lowetide: Some lingering questions about Oilers 2018 draft and evaluating goalies.
- Lowetide: Oilers training camp: 28 men for 23 jobs.
- Lowetide: Is Evan Bouchard NHL-ready?
- Lowetide: The maturation of Daryl Katz, or heading down a dangerous road?
WHAT’S GOING ON?
The two recent news items have changed things quite a bit, bringing all kinds of names into play. Andrej Sekera has moved from the “Certain” list to the “Distant Bells” list, and only because I don’t have a “Injured before camp” list to put him on.
CERTAIN OILERS (DOWN ONE NAME)
- These 18 names are secure unless one of them gets traded for defensive help. The Sekera injury opens a window.
- I mentioned yesterday about Peter Chiarelli’s quote surrounding his knowledge of the Sekera injury, and if it is long term that opens up an interesting set of possibilities. One of the names here might be headed out of town for a defenseman.
- The kicker, the thing we could not see until now, is the player acquired could be an expensive blue and the Oilers might be able to send back an inexpensive young player (plus a pick) for that rearguard. This is a fascinating development and worth contemplating.
- I think the goalie, all five defensemen, the centers and Nuge, Lucic, Rattie, Rieder and Puljujarvi are safe.
- That leaves Zack Kassian, Jujhar Khaira and Drake Caggiula. You can see why a team would value each, for me losing Khaira and his inexpensive contract would be the least attractive option. Therefore, assume it is Khaira heading out.
- One of the keys to the season will be Leon Draisaitl’s line. Jesse Puljujarvi would make life easy for his coach if he can slide up to No. 2 RW and allow Tobias Rieder to help the No. 3 line.
- Scottie Upshall has been added to the list and as of now there are five open jobs: Backup goalie, No. 6 and No. 7 defense, No. 13 and No. 14 forward. Edmonton may aim higher (trading for a second pairing defenseman like Torey Krug or Justin Faulk) but those are the jobs currently in play.
- I believe Upshall has a job. I don’t think any of the other forwards is a lock.
- I believe Mikko Koskinen has a job. I don’t think Al Montoya will be in the organization opening night.
- I have no idea how the defense is going to shake out.
- William Lagesson and Caleb Jones are the only two defensemen who have even a snowflake’s chance in hell among the blue.
- Goal is completely up in the air after the NHL group.
- I would nominate Tyler Benson, Joe Gambardella and Tyler Vesel as long shot NHL recalls for 2018-19.
POSSIBLE ROSTER 2018-19
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid—Ty Rattie
- Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Tobias Rieder
- Drake Caggiula—Ryan Strome—Jesse Puljujarvi
- Scottie Upshall—Kyle Brodziak—Zack Kassian
- Extras: Pontus Aberg, Brad Malone
- Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
- Darnell Nurse—Justin Faulk
- Kris Russell—Matt Benning
- Kevin Gravel
- Cam Talbot (Mikko Koskinen)
I think the Oilers would be interested in a trade that sends away a young inexpensive winger and a draft pick for Justin Faulk, even if there’s a risk later in the year re: Sekera coming back. It’s vital for this organization to make the playoffs, sending away Zack Kassian in February is a smallish price to pay (and I like Kassian but you get the point). Will this happen? I think it may.
10 SECONDS TO GLORY
Tyler Dellow wrote another tremendous article, it’s out today. If you’re an Oilers fan, it’s a must-read and offers incredible insight into one of last season’s most baffling statistics. Lordy.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
We’re back, baby! At 10 this morning we hit the air with 10 days of pent-up verbal! Who knows how this will go???? Scheduled to appear, TSN1260:
- Rod Pedersen, voice of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. A fabulous football game last night, SK winning over Calgary to end the Stampeders hopes of a 18-0 regular season. It also means the Labour Day classic in Calgary has some intrigue.
- John Keim, ESPN reporter on the NFL’s Washington franchise. We’ll chat about the team, injuries, and the division.
- Andy Strickland, Fox Sports Midwest. We’ll chat about the newest Oiler, Scottie Upshall, and what he’ll bring to the club this winter.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. I’ll also be on the roundtable this morning with Dusty, Iwanyk and Yaremchuk. I’ll be trying to get a word in! See you on the radio!