God Only Knows

The Hockey News came once a month, so you had to pace yourself. The inside cover offered the table of contents, so I would race to the Boston Bruins (“Orr’s surgery successful, should be ready for the season”) and to the draft portion (“Montreal drafts five in 1974’s first round”) but you couldn’t gobble it all up in one day. The California Golden Seals article was always a catastrophe (“Seals could be spending final summer in Bay area” or “No television or radio games for Seals in 1974”), but the WHL was a highlight (“Tiger Williams sets penalty record”) and I read two articles a day until complete, then read it again cover to cover. And then again.

What I really wanted was an interactive edition of The Hockey News, where I could ask why Bob Hess wasn’t developing and why Bobby Leiter looked 90 and why Oakland’s top rookies always fell flat in year two. And you know what? It finally arrived, with the internet and the various places we interact. Thanks, Al Gore!

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $4 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.

THE 2008 TOP 20 PROSPECTS

I ran a throwback item on the 2003 top 20 prospects one month ago (here) and discovered four men who played 400+ games: Jarret Stoll, Raffi Torres, Matt Greene, M-A Bergeron. Five years later, in 2008, things looked about the same.

The 2008 successes are Jordan Eberle, Jeff Petry, Devan Dubnyk and Riley Nash. When faced with this kind of result, it’s easy to hammer the scouting and development departments. Here’s the thing, though: Of the eight names (four from 2003, four more from 2008), all were sent away from Edmonton while being entirely useful. You can’t fault the scouts for trading young players who did develop and every damn one of the eight names who made it were gone too soon.

THE 2015 TOP 20 PROSPECTS

Three men are clearly on track for 400 games, and Peter Chiarelli has signed two of those three to long-term deals that should have them playing their best hockey in Edmonton. I don’t think getting Nurse signed to a bridge deal should be Everest, your mileage may vary. We can’t see the fourth player yet (Pitlick?) but there are miles to go.

THE 2017 TOP 20 PROSPECTS

I ran this list just to show the new group and maybe shine a light on the importance of these young men to the Oilers future. Trading one or more of Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamoto, Ethan Bear, et cetera, exacerbates a problem that has been hanging around this team for over a decade: The Edmonton Oilers don’t value their own draft picks, or didn’t, so many productive players had to find their way in other organizations. I don’t know that Jujhar Khaira is this generation’s Kyle Brodziak or Jason Chimera, but best to find out while he is wearing an Oilers logo.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy and educational show this morning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Recent Oilers moves (Upshall, Jerabek) and summer changes by the team that will have the biggest impact.
  • Michael Chandler, The Score. EPL season underway, concern for Man U while Man City is 2-0 and has a +7 goal differential.

We’ll also talk NY Giants as we prepare for the NFL season and your comments are welcome @Lowetide or via test 10-1260. See you on the radio!

59 Responses to "God Only Knows"

1. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

I don’t really have anything to say but I just love being the first to post!

Hey everyone!

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Of the 2015 prospect, who will get to 400 games?

Locks: McDavid, Drai, Nurse

Probably: Khaira, Pitlick

Unknown but reaonsanble shot: Bear

Unknown but a distant bell shot: Jones, Lagesson (Jones may be one category up).

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Of the 2017 top 20 prospects, who will play NHL games this year?

Locks: Puljujarvi, Khaira

Highly likely: Yamamoto, Bear

Reasonably likely: Benson, Jones

Longshot: Joe G.

4. oilersjo says:

I am excited to see how the young defensemen will react to Dave Manson in Bakersfield. He has a lot of experience with developing young defense.

5. Westchester Oil says:

Appreciate the post, LT. One little thing that stood out for me is seeing that Alex Plante was only the 20th ranked prospect a year after being drafted in the middle of the first round. That’s amazing, but you absolutely nailed it. Don’t spend high draft picks on defensive dmen!

We had four picks in the top 36 (or so) that year and came away with only Gagner, Plante and Riley Nash. Nash has turned out as a decent late bloomer (for another team) but I remember being upset at the time that we traded up to grab someone who was ‘off the board’. Damn that DoD (sigh).

6. Justenvogt says:

OriginalPouzar,

Agree with your breakdowns and you could add a wild card group in which Safin, Maksimov and the goalies would sit and there is a decent chance we get something out of that group as well. Some nice things bubbling under.

Westchester Oil:
    Appreciate the post, LT. One little thing that stood out for me is seeing that Alex Plante was only the 20th ranked prospect a year after being drafted in the middle of the first round.That’s amazing, but you absolutely nailed it. Don’t spend high draft picks on defensive dmen!

8. Woogie63 says:

I would like to see the Oiler’s establish a development pattern where they graduate 2 players from their AHL team each year and get exposure for 1 player from their AHL team (who should graduate next year).

Graduated players would play +50 games
    Exposure players would play +15 games

This year graduated players -Rattie, Bear
    Exposure player – Yamamoto

9. anjinsan says:

One of the themes for this year’s songs:

Lowtide at the Beach … Boys concert 🙂

10. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Subtle shout out to OP by Bruce on the Lowdown (about the CBA verbage). Also, Bruce says cap compliance regarding LTIR is day one of the season (Oct. 3) and not game one.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Subtle shout out to OP by Bruce on the Lowdown (about the CBA verbage).Also, Bruce says cap compliance regarding LTIR is day one of the season (Oct. 3) and not game one.

Awww, man, the one time I’m not able to listen.

Thanks Bruce!

Mind if I ask what was said?

12. Geranium Lover says:

LT, I agree with your statement.

Here’s my perspective:

Jordan Eberle had two years remaining on his contract after the completion of the 16/17 season. I believe Chia made the decision to dump him after Eberles playoff performance. He is what he is, talented but not physical. It was also about cap.

Jeff Petry being traded seemed like a clear mistake at the time by MacTavish, and time hasn’t changed anything.

Devan Dubnyk was broken when the Oilers traded him. I don’t know what the Oilers could have done to save his career here. MacTavishs quote “If you have to ask the question…” was a big mistake imo.
    So he was traded to Nashville, played two games, was sent Milwaukee, then was traded two days later to Montreal and was sent to their AHL team in Hamilton. Next summer he signed as a free agent with Arizona and started his recovery.

Riley Nash I am going off my bad memory here but I believe the Oilers didn’t want him to play at Cornell. My take is that he didn’t want to play for the Oilers and wasn’t going to sign here.

So probably could have gotten more for Eberle, Petry was a huge mistake, Dubnyk had to be moved, Nash wasn’t coming here.

13. Melvis says:

It’s the trough of the week. Here’s a couple of items of interest.

I tapped in CBC for the hell of it. This was staring me in the face.

“How to Pop a Pimple Properly When You Just Have To”

Then I sauntered over to VOR’s latest:

“I am also a child of my time. I can’t read hockey analytics and not think there is a very good chance this is utter hogwash.”

I feel a little more strongly that the CBC is utter hogwash, but that’s just me. And for the record, I’m not inclined to bash anyone’s hobby, or avocation in terms of analytics. After all, some older adults mess around with Lego. I might be one of them

Currently liable for the instigator penalty, I’ll leave off now. I’ve been dry for days now. Consequently, I’ve developed a mighty, mighty thirst. That damn Hunter and his penchant for a swig straight out of the bottle. Sorely tempting.

“I was stunned by their performance” was Sinden’s assessment. Former Montreal Canadiens’ coach Claude Ruel commented that the Soviets’ forwards were one of the most finely honed units he had ever seen. “They are always moving, never standing around, they head-man the puck as well as anyone has ever done — and they always seem to be in the right place.

I cribbed those quotes from Game 1 of the ’72 Summit series. I felt the same way 46 years ago. Thing is, what are we seeing today?

14. LadiesloveSmid says:

Geranium Lover,

I have no issues with the Dubnyk or Schultz trades. Both players were so done in Edmonton, their values were deflated and there was no looking back.

15. T0ML says:

Dont see this posted ..

Elliotte Friedman
    ‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
    2h2 hours ago

There is a sense today that Erik Karlsson trade talks have picked up in the last few days. Most likely destinations appear to be Western Conference. There is also a belief VAN has stepped in to see if it is a match.

Interesting, who does Dorian want to screw over the most? Does GMGM pull it off? How would the nucks *spit* pull it off?

If Van is throwing the hat in the ring does that mean Canada is no longer on the list for No trade? Maybe Pete could pull it off?

16. geowal says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour:
    I don’t really have anything to say but I just love being the first to post!

Hey everyone!

What a friendly opening post. Hi!

17. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

“The tricky bit as I understand the LTIR process, which is to say poorly, apparently most of the regulations of LTIR aren’t actually in the CBA. Just reading the CBA part is challenging enough. In fact, I read a tweet from some guy who claimed that he wrote 180 page bank documents for bigger corporate loans for a living and the LTIR clause gave him a headache, so I’m in good company from the sounds of that.

“As I understand it if they can somehow slide Sekera’s salary in under the cap in the season, day one, not even game one, I think it’s day one, October 3rd, if they can make him fit somehow, then, they can put him on LTIR and have way more flexibility. And the idea as I understand it, is to make them fit as close to the cap as possible, that maximizes your advantage. What kind of devilish rules these are I really don’t know. Can they do that, I mean paper transactions may be the key and the unfortunate thing is the Oilers have very little flexibility in that regard, unless they actually start waiving guys. They haven’t got too many guys they can just send out on paper to Bakersfield. They could send Puljujärvi and Yamamoto; but who else? In those cases, forget the bonuses, you’re only sending out the salary. Otherwise if you want to send somebody else down, you gotta clear him, and I don’t know how many players they want to do that.”

Source:
    Lowdown with Lowetide, TSN1260, 8/22/2018, hour 1, 23:05-24:45

18. John Chambers says:

T0ML,

Interesting.

The Sedins are Gods in Vancouver, and it is arguably the worlds nicest city. The Aquilini’s need to sell tickets (you could buy tix from scalpers for twenty bucks this past year, even on weekends). They also have Cap Space for days and could pay EK $11M+.

However, even if the deal looked something like: Juolevi, Virtanen, and a 1st, I doubt it makes Van a playoff team.

19. T0ML says:

John Chambers,

Some other verbal has Van playing third wheel, taking the Ryan contract. I highly doubt Van gets Karlsson … Its a pointless expense for them at their point in their re-build.

20. dustrock says:

I would ask the Sens to please figure out the Karlsson trade in the next month before my hockey draft kthxbye

21. jtblack says:

“I read two articles a day until complete, then read it again cover to cover. And then again.”

I took a hockey news to Europe in 1994. 3 week trip with my best friend. I read the Hockey News on the plane, I would read it in my room. I would browse it after the night was done. Read articles, and re read articles.

My Best Friend got so fed up with me re reading the same Hockey news that one night after the bar, I picked up the hockey news to read it and he ripped it in half. I sat for a moment in stunned silence. Then I grabbed one of my disposable cameras and threw it at him. Hit him in the nose and he was bleeding everywhere. we both re grouped and just started to laugh.

We still laugh about it to this day.

22. leadfarmer says:

I would love for Van to spend assets to get Karlsson and just have him leave in a year. Dont see any reason for him to hang out and watch that team rebuild for the next 4 seasons.

23. John Chambers says:

T0ML:
    John Chambers,

Some other verbal has Van playing third wheel, taking the Ryan contract.I highly doubt Van gets Karlsson … Its a pointless expense for them at their point in their re-build.

& @ Leadfarmer

I dunno. I think you can re-build around 4 or 5 players, and for Van that means Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, and Karlsson. Its probably not enough to be a contender, but there’s no guarantee that after 3 or 4 more losing seasons that you get any closer.

An extension would have to be built into the fabric of the trade, but no doubt EK knows Daniel and Henrik (and Loui) very well, and like I mentioned it’s an easy lifestyle to sell Mr and Mrs Karlsson on. They also have the money to take on Ryan’s contract, or at least they did prior to going “all-in” on Jay Beagle.

I don’t disagree that it’s not a panacea for the Canucks long-term, but having worked with that ownership group I don’t think they find a long re-build appealing. Factor in that they play in the leagues weakest division and it starts to make sense.

24. Woogie63 says:

Geranium Lover:

LT, I agree with your statement.

Here’s my perspective:

We are looking for a property in Kelowna, toured some houses yesterday. It was Dubynk’s house, apparently he is going to spend more time in Minnesota and rent in Kelowna in the summer.

25. Geranium Lover says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Geranium Lover,

I believe Schultz would have to been qualified at around 4MM. He was thrown in over his head and lost confidence. Also not a physical presence.

26. Geranium Lover says:

Woogie63,

Good luck in your property search. 🙂

27. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

What do people think about Ryan Stimson’s passing project? Been playing around with it a bit after initially hearing about it here, and then again on a recent Beer League Heroes post… find the results to be interesting. Also enjoy the presentation as a comparison tool.

Frankly, I have little to no idea of the different categories beyond my understanding of the descriptions that pop up in the bubble when you hover over a line on the bar graph.

Is this all just noise, or is it valid information?

28. ACalgaryOilFan says:

Sorry I don’t post here much but I was just thinking the other day if I had to list out active X-Oilers and who would I want back ranked in order of most wanted to least, what would that list look like and this article made me think about that and was curious to what other people’s list would look like.

Here would be my list

1. Hall – obviously
    2. Hemsky – always one of my favorite and would love to see him play with McDavid
    3. Dubnyk
    4. Petry
    5. J Schultz
    6. Eberle
    7. Maroon
    8. Perron
    9. Paajarvi
    10. Cogliano
    11. Gagner
    12. Pitlick
    13. Letestu
    14. Hendricks

I excluded players playing in other leagues but Lander would be 15.

Thanks for reading

29. defmn says:

Melvis:

I’ve said for years now that prior to that series with the Russians the main requirement for coaching in the NHL was making sure everybody got on the bus after the game and that there was enough beer for the drive home.

The Russians proved that a fluid game with intermittent stoppages could still be coached. They did for hockey what the Japanese did for motorcycles. They made it better.

30. Oilman99 says:

Lowetide: About two hours after that draft, I called a scout. I was mad at Bob Stauffer who (he was on Team 1260 at the time) absolutely tore a strip off the Oilers for picking him. I said to the scout ‘how bad is it?’ and the scout said he can’t skate.

Another prime example why the team has been the laughing stock of the league for so long.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

“The tricky bit as I understand the LTIR process, which is to say poorly, apparently most of the regulations of LTIR aren’t actually in the CBA.Just reading the CBA part is challenging enough.In fact, I read a tweet from some guy who claimed that he wrote 180 page bank documents for bigger corporate loans for a living and the LTIR clause gave him a headache, so I’m in good company from the sounds of that.

“As I understand it if they can somehow slide Sekera’s salary in under the cap in the season, day one, not even game one, I think it’s day one, October 3rd, if they can make him fit somehow, then, they can put him on LTIR and have way more flexibility.And the idea as I understand it, is to make them fit as close to the cap as possible, that maximizes your advantage.What kind of devilish rules these are I really don’t know.Can they do that, I mean paper transactions may be the key and the unfortunate thing is the Oilers have very little flexibility in that regard, unless they actually start waiving guys.They haven’t got too many guys they can just send out on paper to Bakersfield.They could send Puljujärvi and Yamamoto; but who else?In those cases, forget the bonuses, you’re only sending out the salary.Otherwise if you want to send somebody else down, you gotta clear him, and I don’t know how many players they want to do that.”

Source:
    Lowdown with Lowetide, TSN1260, 8/22/2018, hour 1, 23:05-24:45

Ha – yup, that was me and that’s quotes for truth.

Thanks for posting.

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

oilersjo:
    I am excited to see how the young defensemen will react toDave Manson in Bakersfield.He has a lot of experiencewith developing young defense.

They’ll be terrified not to take instruction.

33. pts2pndr says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Geranium Lover,

Hopefully there was a full ferensic audit done so this does not happen again! Debbie does Dallas but in this case Dallas does Dubnyk and Shultz! Closest thing to tying two cats tails together and throwing them over a clothes line that I can think of!

34. Scungilli Slushy says:

John Chambers: & @ Leadfarmer

35. Scungilli Slushy says:

Scungilli Slushy: Pettersson is their hope. If his talent pans out over here they have an elite 1C. If not they better start analyzing Preds and Blues rosters about how to win reg season and lose in the playoffs. It at least fills seats.

Oops I doubt that’s how you spell his name

36. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

I talked to a guy at that time who was billeting an oilkings player. He said he asked his player about Plante and the answer he got was “Everyone laughs at him because he is so slow he is easy to get around.”

Maybe they should suripticiously ask the Oilkings players about guys they’re interested in from the WHL

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: They’ll be terrified not to take instruction.

Even with his soft and non-threatening voice? Damn you Sergio Momesso!

38. Wilde says:

Vancouver needs to draft 30 kids in the next three Junes, not draft the Virtanen again, and they’re good to go

39. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy: Oops I doubt that’s how you spell his name

It’s Petersson, Pettersson is Anaheim’s LHD guy

40. Ryan says:

I missed out on the pre “Cheques with the Oilers logo on them” Stauffer.

I’d pay money to hear some of those old shows.

I was living in Florida back then.. Whenever I felt homesick, I’d put Ice Road Truckers on and feel like I was back home.

When I moved back here, I didn’t know even know what the team 1260 was until I found out about it at this blog.

41. John Chambers says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I knew I was missing someone … like their top prospect.

42. Justthestatsman says:

Pretty poignant piece up on the TSN website now about former Oiler Joe Murphy. Sounds like his life started to go downhill even before his hockey career ended and sped up soon after. He’s now homeless, living on the streets in Kenora. Wow.

43. Wilde says:

Emmanuel Perry’s mean simulation for Edmonton is 87.8 points, median 88.

A bit higher than my spitball way earlier in the summer of 85

e: Looks like that’s with Sekera, but without Yamamoto

44. Wilde says:

(Last preseason it was 99.3; 99 respectively

Ryan: I missed out on the pre “Cheques with the Oilers logo on them” Stauffer.

I’d pay money to hear some of those old shows.

Bob has to temper his approach obviously but I think he gets his point across these days, too. He had a larger brush back then which was fun, but I give him credit for doing a highwire act.

46. Wilde says:

Doing a game for the Leon project right now; where the line is him and Milan and Jesse and they look really good.

Looking at their NST Line Tool game log, they only really got four shots at it, two in December and two in March.

Won shots decently but killed chances (microsample)

That’s a unit where, if they try it and it works it solves three problems in the forward corps:

– Lucic as a useful top-sixer

– Leon centring his own line

– Puljujarvi living on a feature line and building chemistry with two other long term members of the club

47. Wilde says:

It seems like every time they lost possession in the offensive zone with that unit, it’s because either 29 or 98 didn’t know where the other was.

You could look at that and say hey, they just don’t work well together but for me I’d just want to find out what it looks like when they /do/ know where to find each other.

They could play a seriously oppressive power game.

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

OriginalPouzar: Ha – yup, that was me and that’s quotes for truth.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for taking the trouble to transcribe, BIAGJ. At least I seem to talk in complete sentences. I hope I got the guts of It right, it’s a complicated issue.

49. Dominoiler says:

*Axe grinding alert*

Oilers Current RW depth chart (all options)
    #1 Drai
    #2 Reider
    #3 Pulj (maybe as high as #2)
    #4 Strome
    #5 Kassian
    #6 Rattie (maybe as high as #5?)
    #7 Yami (maybe as high as #3)

Since Drai is slated to centre the second line, he’s out of contention for #1 RW.. So can anyone explain why on earth Reider should be on a lower line than Rattie; who is the best RW option for McD that isn’t Drai?!..

The complete omission of discussion about RW is perplexing.. if Reider is ‘only a third line player’ then the oilers still don’t have any top 6 RW, unless Pulj emerges and / or Yami is rushed into playing tough competition..

50. Bulging Twine says:

Love, love, loved Bob on his own show!

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:

Won shots decently but killed chances (microsample)

– Lucic as a useful top-sixer

– Leon centring his own line

This line is almost a no-brainer to me, unless Jesse is up on 1RW. So many potential positives about it:

1) We know Leon can produce at a top line rate at center, even with middling wingers, however, he has lost the goal share battle. Lucic, for his warts, has still been a positive shot share and goal share player in his time as an Oiler and Jesse is no slouch either. This line should win the goal share battle.

2) Lucic will play better at evens than he has in his first two years. He’s produced at a bottom 6 rate for two straight years but I believe he will up his 5 on 5 P/60 – not back to 2011 levels but at least to a non-embarrassing level and this line gives him the best chance to do so

3) Assuming Lucic can bounce back to respectable middle 6 production, it allows other players to slot in at more reasonable spots in the lineup and it helps a potential off-season trade of Lucic

4) It allows Rieder to start on the 3rd line where I think he can be extremely effective. He has proven to be a 3rd line/middle 6 player so far in his career – slotting him in to the top 6 is slotting him in above his proven level and pay grade. No doubt he will get time in the top 6 but lets let him earn it/wait for the coming injuries.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: If my memory was any good I would have credited you, OP, & not “some dude on Twitter”.

No worries at all.

It seems there are probably only 2-3 people out there that actually understand the LTIR provisions completely – my guess is Bill Daley doesn’t even know exactly how it is supposed to work but 2-3 lawyers in NYC.

I’m working on the multi-billion dollar financing documentation for the TM pipeline but yet I can’t say I fully understand the LTIR provisions – that’s kind of silly.

53. Jaxon says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

Source:
    Lowdown with Lowetide, TSN1260, 8/22/2018, hour 1, 23:05-24:45

Options to send down / not make the opening roster: Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bear, Bouchard, Marody, Benson, Jones, Koskinen.

Koskinen is waiver exempt and therefore the big ticket item to send down for room. Puljujarvi should be on the roster all year. Yamamoto and Bear could start in the AHL even if they show well. Bouchard is a tough one. If he plays well in pre-season I’d like to see him get a few games, but maybe it’s not as valuable if they’re playing in Europe as it’s not true-to-life experience of playing in the NHL. Marody is an outside chance anyhow, so he should be in the AHL. Benson and Jones are extreme long shots so they should be in the AHL for sure. Koskinen may be key and that may mean Montoya or someone else is on the opening roster, yet never plays a game.

Dominoiler:
    *Axe grinding alert*

Oilers Current RW depth chart (all options)
    #1 Drai
    #2 Reider
    #3 Pulj (maybe as high as #2)
    #4 Strome
    #5 Kassian
    #6 Rattie (maybe as high as #5?)
    #7 Yami (maybe as high as #3)

Apparently I have become invisible. I must be getting too untrollish in my old age.

I have been arguing for Rieder with McDavid and Nuge since before the trade.

55. rickithebear says:

The act of coaches blendering lines is the single biggest contributor to regression results for players and team mediocrity.

Blendering should be limited to positive fwd and D goal dif pairs.
    Avoiding the introduction of negative diff pairs that create team mediocrity.

56. rickithebear says:

Suppose to start stem cell harvesting process Tuesday @ Tom Baker.

57. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    Suppose to start stem cell harvesting process Tuesday @ Tom Baker.

Best of luck Ricki!!!

rickithebear:
    Suppose to start stem cell harvesting process Tuesday @ Tom Baker.

You hang in there, Ricki, we’re thinking of you.