As training camp edges nearer, we are getting the fun stories (“McDavid wants to score more goals!”) and the not fun stories (“Andrej Sekera is out indefinitely”) and now, as we reach September, fresh stories with new angles. In the words of the great songwriter Paul McCartney, we’re getting closer, my salamander.
Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $4 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.
- New Lowetide: No. 1 prospect—Evan Bouchard.
- Lowetide: No. 2 prospect—Kailer Yamamoto.
- The Athletic Cross Canada Tour Will hit Edmonton!
- Lowetide: No. 3 prospect—Ethan Bear
- Lowetide: No. 4 prospect—Ryan McLeod
- Lowetide: No. 5 prospect—Cooper Marody.
- Lowetide: No. 6 prospect—Kirill Maksimov.
- Lowetide: No. 7 prospect—Tyler Benson.
- Jonathan Willis: No. 8 prospect—Caleb Jones.
- Lowetide: No. 9 prospect—Filip Berglund.
- Jonathan Willis: No. 10 prospect—Dmitri Samorukov.
- Lowetide: No. 11 prospect—Stuart Skinner’s net worth.
- Jonathan Willis: No. 12 prospect—Joel Persson.
- Lowetide: No. 13 prospect—Ostap Safin
- Jonathan Willis: No. 14 prospect—Olivier Rodrigue
- Lowetide: No. 15 prospect—William Lagesson
- Jonathan Willis: No. 16 prospect—Cameron Hebig
- Lowetide: No. 17 prospect—Graham McPhee
- Jonathan Willis: No. 18 prospect—Ryan Mantha
- Lowetide: No. 19 prospect—John Marino
- Jonathan Willis: No. 20 prospect—Tyler Vesel
- Lowetide: Top 20 prospects: Forwards outside the top 20
- Jonathan Willis: Are Hayden Hawkey and Phil Kemp underrated gems?
- Lowetide: Oilers sign Scottie Upshall to PTO, expand options
Is RFA Darnell Nurse confident he'll sign before training camp?
"I want to be there with the guys when camp starts, those guys are like brothers to me … but what I want & what will happen are two different things. I'm not sure at this point."https://t.co/vGllKzScZr
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) August 27, 2018
People keep wondering about the holdup but I think this contract writes itself. Edmonton is going to sign Nurse to a bridge deal (two years times $3-3.25 million) and that’s going make money to tight to mention. The Oilers could get to $4 million with Nurse and that would help them get right to the cap outer marker—I believe this to be the case if they’re attempting to LTIR Sekera and acquire Justin Faulk. It might look like this.
PROJECTED 2018-19 ROSTER
It certainly could be the plan, we’ll have to wait and see. Peter Chiarelli can go to camp, hope someone (Evan Bouchard, Ethan Bear) grabs the No. 6 slot with fine play, and then the defense becomes less of an issue. A guess? Justin Faulk is an Oiler shortly after the team lands back in North America after the opener in Europe. We discussed this over a week ago.
AUGUST 2017 RE (2017-18)
I had someone tell me yesterday that my RE’s are accurate and the answer is “not really” based on last season. I got close on Connor McDavid, but the overall thrust (I had 257-208, Oilers were 229-262) missed by many. The previous season, 2016-17, I predicted 226-226 and the team delivered 243-207. As much fun as projecting team scoring can be, definitely nothing you should bet money on. I haven’t published this year’s RE but have the final projection. It is shy of last year’s projection.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy morning on the show, we have some fluidity in the guest list. It starts at 10, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:
- Travis Yost, TSN. One of my favourite guests, it’s been to long. We’ll chat about the upcoming NHL season and two teams (Chicago, Detroit) in new circumstances.
- John Horn, Freelance Commentator, Reporter, Producer with ESPN, WTA, MLB Network, TSN. Sloane Stephens is off to a fabulous start at The U.S. Open, we’ll chat about it at 10:40.
- Andrew Peard, Oil Kings PBP. We’ll chat about the Oil Kings and a promising season ahead.
- Matt Barrows, The Athletic. Is this the year the San Fransisco 49er’s make it all the way back?
Text 10-1260, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!