The Edmonton Oilers are off to a quality start (2-0-0) in NHL preseason, several players 21 and under playing well enough to grab some headlines. There are a bunch of players we haven’t seen yet, from Connor McDavid to Leon Draisaitl to the top three defensemen on the roster (Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Darnell Nurse). That should change tonight.
It’s almost here! Next Monday, September 24 you are invited to a party at The Rec Room (south side). The Athletic Edmonton group would love to meet you, chat about the new Darnell Nurse contract and the team in general. You can register (we need to know how many are coming, just like your Mom at Christmas) in the link below.
The Athletic Edmonton lineup will be there, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Eric Duhatschek will attend! I’ll be there to make sure everyone uses a coaster, and I’d love to see you there. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $4 a month!
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Former Oiler Dave Manson on coaching, nicknames and his raspy voice.
- New Lowetide: RE 18-19: Cam Talbot is key to Oilers success in 2018-19
- New Jonathan Willis: Challenge accepted: Young RW’s showcase skill in Oilers preseason game.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Assessing the aftermath from Darnell Nurse’s deal with the Oilers.
- New Jonathan Willis: Pleasant and unpleasant surprises from Tuesday’s training camp cuts.
- New Lowetide: RE 18-19: A case for the defence.
- New Lowetide: Oilers sign Nurse to a two-year deal.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Can Tobias Rieder be the perfect complement to Leon Draisaitl?
- The Athletic Cross Canada Tour Will hit Edmonton!
- New Corey Pronman: Ranking NHL teams by their U23 core.
- New Lowetide: How do you replace a lost draft summer?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Even with more goaltending depth the Oilers are counting on return to form from Cam Talbot.
- Lowetide: RE 18-19: Ryan Strome and the Oilers long journey to competent third and fourth lines
- Lowetide: RE 18-19: Leon Draisaitl and the pursuit of a second outscoring line in ’18-19
- Lowetide: RE 18-19: Can the McDavid line lead the 2018-19 Oilers to the playoffs?
OILERS PRESEASON SCORING
- Kailer Yamamoto 2, 2-2-4
- Tyler Benson 2, 0-3-3
- Ty Rattie 1, 2-0-2
- Patrick Russell 1, 2-0-2
- Alex Chiasson 1, 0-2-2
- Kevin Gravel 1, 0-2-2
- Ryan McLeod 2, 0-2-2
- Jesse Puljujarvi 1, 1-0-1
- Pontus Aberg 1, 1-0-1
- Caleb Jones 1, 1-0-1
- Ethan Bear 1, 1-0-1
- Evan Bouchard 1, 1-0-1
- Ryan Strome 1, 0-1-1
- Matt Benning 1, 0-1-1
- Joe Gambardella 1, 0-1-1
- Cam Talbot 1, 1.50 .957
- Al Montoya 1, 3.00 .929
- Mikko Koskinen 1, 4.50 .842
- Shane Starrett 1, 3.00 .833
A LITTLE Q. AND A.
- Are we heading for a trade? It would appear so, yes.
- Faulk? He is the obvious name, perhaps there’s another out there. I have always thought Dougie Hamilton or Torey Krug would end up in Edmonton, that ship appears to have sailed.
- What will Faulk cost? Edmonton is a funny town, rumors arrive from some vague places and get poured out like a concrete driveway. Kassian and a pick, Khaira and a pick have been raked, tamped down and are in the drying process. Someone said Ethan Bear the other day. The real answer is blowing in the wind.
- What areas of depth can the Oilers trade from? Well, Edmonton appears to have a solid pipeline of defensemen, that might be an area. If you look at the kids who will turn pro next season (potentially Evan Bouchard, Joel Persson, Filip Berglund, John Marino, Vincent Desharnais, Phil Kemp, Dmitri Samorukov), the club can probably consider it.
- Anywhere else? I don’t think so, no. I’d say future draft picks but you’d like to have another two years of complete drafts.
- When do you publish your RE? The final installment goes today, I will link above. It includes all scorers, all goaltenders, goals-for and against, goal differential. The full Monty.
- When will you publish it here? I promised to give the raw totals, etc, the stuff that is too plodding, here at this blog. I will do that before opening night.
- What are we going to see at the Monday night event for The Athletic? As mentioned above, Jon, Daniel, Eric and myself will be there and we’ll celebrate the first year and talk about what’s to come. You can ask me about ‘the balance’ photo, I won’t reveal the actual photo, but will tell you what is in the photo. But you have to be there, and you have to ask.
- Prick. No, it’s a nice photo.
- Where do I register? Here.
- What about the waiver wire? The right wingers are playing well, and with the Nurse signing and possible Faulk trade maybe nothing there either. Goalie? I vote Josh Leivo, but right now LW looks like Nuge, Lucic, Khaira, Caggiula and Upshall to start the season.
GAME NOTES: The Jets head to Edmonton tomorrow for their first road game of the pre-season. Winnipeg's projected playing roster for the game is below. https://t.co/APOAr3YqGH pic.twitter.com/hde9z0n31Y
— Winnipeg Jets PR (@WpgJetsPR) September 19, 2018
Jets are sending some good NHL defensemen, but the goalies and forwards are not the “A” team. It will be interesting to see if the home team brings out all of their weaponry.
OILERS WHO HAVEN’T PLAYED YET
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid
- Milan Lucic—Leon Draisatil—Tobias Rieder
- Scottie Upshall—Brad Malone
- Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
- Darnell Nurse
- Dylan Wells
It’s uncertain how much of this group will play tonight, the Jets are sending a roster similar to the one Edmonton used in Vancouver the other night. My guess is we see at least one of 97 or 29 and the Swedish duo.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A fun show with terrific guests on the show today, we get rolling at 10 this morning, TSN1260:
- AJ Jakubec, Play-by-play/host at TSN 1200 Radio Ottawa. Senators, REDBLACKS, Fury FC, 67’s. We’ll chat Senators and expectations, and just how difficult this season is going to be in the Ottawa valley.
- Joe Haggerty, NBCSportsBoston.com. The Bruins have even more youngsters pushing at this year’s camp, including Zach Senyshyn and are tearing up preseason at 4-0.
- Frank Seravalli, TSN. Oilers young wingers showing well early, Domi’s hearing, Elias Pettersson and Karlsson in San Jose.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!