2018-19 Preseason Game Three: Jets at Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers are off to a quality start (2-0-0) in NHL preseason, several players 21 and under playing well enough to grab some headlines. There are a bunch of players we haven’t seen yet, from Connor McDavid to Leon Draisaitl to the top three defensemen on the roster (Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Darnell Nurse). That should change tonight.

THE ATHLETIC!

It’s almost here! Next Monday, September 24 you are invited to a party at The Rec Room (south side). The Athletic Edmonton group would love to meet you, chat about the new Darnell Nurse contract and the team in general. You can register (we need to know how many are coming, just like your Mom at Christmas) in the link below.

The Athletic Edmonton lineup will be there, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Eric Duhatschek will attend! I’ll be there to make sure everyone uses a coaster, and I’d love to see you there. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $4 a month!

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Former Oiler Dave Manson on coaching, nicknames and his raspy voice.
  • New Lowetide: RE 18-19: Cam Talbot is key to Oilers success in 2018-19
  • New Jonathan Willis: Challenge accepted: Young RW’s showcase skill in Oilers preseason game.
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Assessing the aftermath from Darnell Nurse’s deal with the Oilers.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Pleasant and unpleasant surprises from Tuesday’s training camp cuts.
  • New Lowetide: RE 18-19: A case for the defence.
  • New Lowetide: Oilers sign Nurse to a two-year deal.
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Can Tobias Rieder be the perfect complement to Leon Draisaitl?
  • The Athletic Cross Canada Tour Will hit Edmonton!
  • New Corey Pronman: Ranking NHL teams by their U23 core.
  • New Lowetide: How do you replace a lost draft summer?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Even with more goaltending depth the Oilers are counting on return to form from Cam Talbot.
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Ryan Strome and the Oilers long journey to competent third and fourth lines
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Leon Draisaitl and the pursuit of a second outscoring line in ’18-19
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Can the McDavid line lead the 2018-19 Oilers to the playoffs?

OILERS PRESEASON SCORING

15. Joe Gambardella 1, 0-1-1
  16. Cam Talbot 1, 1.50 .957
  17. Al Montoya 1, 3.00 .929
  18. Mikko Koskinen 1, 4.50 .842
  19. Shane Starrett 1, 3.00 .833

A LITTLE Q. AND A.

1. Are we heading for a trade? It would appear so, yes.
  2. Faulk? He is the obvious name, perhaps there’s another out there. I have always thought Dougie Hamilton or Torey Krug would end up in Edmonton, that ship appears to have sailed.
  3. What will Faulk cost? Edmonton is a funny town, rumors arrive from some vague places and get poured out like a concrete driveway. Kassian and a pick, Khaira and a pick have been raked, tamped down and are in the drying process. Someone said Ethan Bear the other day. The real answer is blowing in the wind.
  4. What areas of depth can the Oilers trade from? Well, Edmonton appears to have a solid pipeline of defensemen, that might be an area. If you look at the kids who will turn pro next season (potentially Evan Bouchard, Joel Persson, Filip Berglund, John Marino, Vincent Desharnais, Phil Kemp, Dmitri Samorukov), the club can probably consider it.
  5. Anywhere else? I don’t think so, no. I’d say future draft picks but you’d like to have another two years of complete drafts.
  6. When do you publish your RE? The final installment goes today, I will link above. It includes all scorers, all goaltenders, goals-for and against, goal differential. The full Monty.
  7. When will you publish it here? I promised to give the raw totals, etc, the stuff that is too plodding, here at this blog. I will do that before opening night.
  8. What are we going to see at the Monday night event for The Athletic? As mentioned above, Jon, Daniel, Eric and myself will be there and we’ll celebrate the first year and talk about what’s to come. You can ask me about ‘the balance’ photo, I won’t reveal the actual photo, but will tell you what is in the photo. But you have to be there, and you have to ask.
  9. Prick. No, it’s a nice photo.
  10. Where do I register? Here.
  11. What about the waiver wire? The right wingers are playing well, and with the Nurse signing and possible Faulk trade maybe nothing there either. Goalie? I vote Josh Leivo, but right now LW looks like Nuge, Lucic, Khaira, Caggiula and Upshall to start the season.

Jets are sending some good NHL defensemen, but the goalies and forwards are not the “A” team. It will be interesting to see if the home team brings out all of their weaponry.

OILERS WHO HAVEN’T PLAYED YET

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid
  • Milan Lucic—Leon Draisatil—Tobias Rieder
  • Scottie Upshall—Brad Malone
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Darnell Nurse
  • Dylan Wells

It’s uncertain how much of this group will play tonight, the Jets are sending a roster similar to the one Edmonton used in Vancouver the other night. My guess is we see at least one of 97 or 29 and the Swedish duo.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show with terrific guests on the show today, we get rolling at 10 this morning, TSN1260:

• AJ Jakubec, Play-by-play/host at TSN 1200 Radio Ottawa. Senators, REDBLACKS, Fury FC, 67’s. We’ll chat Senators and expectations, and just how difficult this season is going to be in the Ottawa valley.
  • Joe Haggerty, NBCSportsBoston.com. The Bruins have even more youngsters pushing at this year’s camp, including Zach Senyshyn and are tearing up preseason at 4-0.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Oilers young wingers showing well early, Domi’s hearing, Elias Pettersson and Karlsson in San Jose.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

423 Responses to "2018-19 Preseason Game Three: Jets at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Wilde says:

this was a good thread

2. Wilde says:

I take it back, nobody quite told the truth on that Jesse goal.

That was unreal, he doesn’t make that play in a million minutes of his first two years’ level of play, and I was on the guy’s side for both of them. I think he’s here.

3. Wilde says:

Also, I’ve said this before, but I don’t think it’s been fully fleshed out what happens if Plan A works on its own in the top six, and the opportunities that open up elsewhere because of it.

Plan A being Rattie delivering on the top right wing.

This means no shenanigans with Strome at 1RW, no pre-emptive promotion of Yamamoto, no Puljujarvi contingency resulting in an ill-timed contract year explosion, nothing.

If you can legit run Rattie at the top line this forward group – one which I worry about a lot – gets shifted much closer to having very reasonably manageable deficiencies than, say, possessing three 20 goal scorers among the whole lot.

4. €√¥£€^$ says:

godot10: Winnipeg was playing a lot of AHL forwards.Rattie, an AHL player, is playing against them with McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins.

Rattie is a mirage.

Gross, seriously?

I think your Oilers fandom is a mirage.

He has a legitimate chance to out-produce Maroon this season. Is Maroon an AHL player too?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909: Ok. Sekera got KO’d by the quacks in the playoffs, right?

And last year he was fairly ineffective, right?

And this year, he’s trending in a similar direction, right?

He’s starting to get up there in years, and good teams know when to keep/cut this type of player(who can still be effective).

Literally I guess I meant he’s going to be on/off injury lists for the next while, and Oilers need dependable types like Bouchard/Nurse.

He’s injured again, yup, and he may be gone for the year (although he may be back this year as well). He’s also not that old, is a dedicated pro athlete with 3 years left on his contract.

Once healthy he’s going to want to play and I don’t believe he will just remain on the sidelines for the next 3 years.

Even if some way he is going to be on LTIR for the next 3 years, we still have his $5.5M cap hit, LTIR is NOT free cap space and using it is an ineffective way to manage the cap, limits any ability to improve mid-season and hurts off-season acquisitions.

Best case scenario is Sekera comes back next season and proves to be effective to either play for the Oilers or be traded.

If he is “done” that is not a great scenario for the Oilers.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909:
    How was Lucic tonight?

*runs*

Definitely serviceable as a 2nd line LW. That line was a bit rusty but Lucic did look a bit quicker and, importantly, made a number of plays reminiscent of what made him successful through his career – 3-4 nice little passes, one that sent Jesse in alone. Made plays to get the puck out and the puck in. His PP goal was a mirror image of many of his 2016/17 PP goals.

Add the physicality that we will bring in the regular season and, if we get that Lucic, it will be very good.

7. ArmchairGM says:

Bouchard was the outlet guy on 3 of the 4 McDavid-line goals, got credit for 1 assist. Manna! This is exactly the player-type Edmonton needs.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:

Lets also not forget that LTIR doesn’t provide any cover for performance bonuses so, if Jesse vests any material amount of his bonuses, we are going to have a cap penalty for next year.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM:

We need to keep the puck out of our net.

10. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, he go hurt against the Ducks and was ineffective when he came back last year which was 100% anticipated and expected given it is well established that a player can generally come back around 8 months after the major knee surgery but that it takes 12-18 months to get their game back.

He’s injured again, yup, and he may be gone for the year (although he may be back this year as well).He’s also not that old, is a dedicated pro athlete with 3 years left on his contract.

If he is “done” that is not a great scenario for the Oilers.

(Man this team is stacked with talent at RD!)

11. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar: True but we also need our defensive group to help keep the pucks out of our net and, as many nice outlet passes that he made, he also made a similar amount of mistakes that directly led to scoring chances and, in one case, a goal against.

We need to keep the puck out of our net.

12. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR: Where did I say people shouldn’t disagree with Chiarelli and the coaching staff?

It is like you are saying that in order to disagree with them we must have the right to think they are complete idiots.

Ipersonally find it quite possible to disagree with people without thinking of them as complete idiots.

There’s no question that you can disagree with a person without thinking they’re an idiot.

I still think that your first sentence will make the reader think “they know what they’re doing so where am I wrong here” rather than what you actually want and have the reader think which I think is “what does Caggiula do that makes him valuable to the GM and coach?”

The difference might be negligible but not for every reader, imo.

Of course I’m probably just picking nits as you may view that statement the same as an economist using ceteris paribis and I just whiffed on the whole thing.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Ideally Sekera is healthy by March, doesn’t come back but gets a head-start on off-season training and comes to camp next year in the best shape of his life. He’d be the perfect partner for one of the young RD that will be pushing next year – Bouchard, Berglund, Bear and Persson.

(Man this team is stacked with talent at RD!)

I’d have to agree with this.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Oh, I’m not saying he’s ready for NHL duty today, just that he brings exactly what the team needs in terms of skill-set.

Oh, for sure – that defensive awareness, positioning, etc. will develop (as long as we allow it). He’ll be a legit 2RD floor and potential 1RD.

15. Jaxon says:

Super-duper small sample size but here’s a rundown of some positive stats for Oilers thus far:

Rattie leading NHL in preseason points (6), 2nd in goals (3), and 1st in assists (3). Nuge tied for 4th in goals and 19th in points along with McLeod and Bouchard with 2pts. McDavid tied for 3rd in points, 1st in assists, first in primary assists. Marody leading the league in shots with 9 in 2 games. Rattie and Puljujarvi are tied for 5th in shots with 7. Marody also leads the league in HDCF with 8 and rebounds created with 3. Ryan McLeod is tied for 2nd in takeaways with 3, and tied for 8th in assists with 2. Benson has blocked 3 shots (13th tied with Kris Russell). Benson has won all 3 faceoffs he’s taken. Khaira is 4-1 on the dot. Brodziak is 9-7 for a 56.25 FO%.

Takeaways from stats and eye:
    Rattie is making a damn good case to stick on McDavid’s line.
    Puljujarvi may take a big step this season.
    Nugent-Hopkins looks great on McDavid’s wing again.
    Bouchard is a great passer (but his defensive game needs a fair bit of work.
    McLeod is showing well and he may get the 9 games instead of Bouchard as there is less goals against liability as a forward. Could he really get 9?! I don’t know. If so, I didn’t see that coming.
    Marody is a real gamer. Smart, versatile, and involved in the play. He’s been producing without having the best linemates. He’s making good things happen out there. I think his versatility makes him a first call-up candidate for sure and he’s probably pushing Upshall, Chiasson, and Aberg off the roster (I wish he was pushing Caggoila, too).
    Benson has looked great out there and seems like a complete player and seems to be a bit of a leader already.
    Yamamoto has been great, but there are other youngsters who are starting to outshine him sometimes. He’ll get more opportunities, but I believe the team sees no harm in sending him down to start the season.
    I thought Lucic looked just okay last night. I saw some blunders and he still seems to be fighting the puck (although, everyone was fighting a soft puck last night). I’m not overly optimistic that his game will be any different than last year. I know, too early to judge a vet, but after last season you’d think he’d have a bee in his bonnet and want to get a jump on things. He better be one hell of a locker room guy.
    Klefbom/Larsson looked great.
    Nurse/Bouchard less so. Nurse seemed to be roaming out of a lot and I think that was partly to his inexperienced partner and trying to do too much. Bouchard seemed to get lost and stand still in his own end sometimes or to wander off.
    Bear/Jarabek. I liked Bear way more than Jarabek last night. Bear can really pass, too. Jarabek was noticeable until I saw him scrambling at times.
    I’d like to see Puljujarvi swap spots with Lucic. I think Rieder would be a better compliment to Draisaitl-Puljujarvi than Draisaitl-Lucic.
    I think there are a few vets whose jobs are no certain. Chiasson, Aberg, Kassian, and Caggiula haven’t shown well. Caggiula gets a free pass I guess. whereas Aberg is in the perpetual doghouse. Chiasson hasn’t made the team yet and he hasn’t shown much to warrant being signed. Kassian is okay as an energy 4th liner, but inconsistent in that manner and he’s expensive for the 12th forward on the roster. I wouldn’t mind it if Caggiula and Kassian were traded.
    Strome and Brodziak come as advertised. Good for their spot on the roster.
    Khaira looks good out there and can bring the fists if needed (making Kassian even more expendable).
    Upshall’s chances have really been hurt by injury. He better get up to speed quickly.
    I see Jones got sent down. I was hoping he’d get a bit longer look. But he has impressed Oilers brass in this preseason. If he continues improvement down there, he’ll be knocking on NHL icetime soon.
    Right now, I like Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Benning, Russell-Bear for pairings. Although Gravel has been very steady back there as well. Jarabek hasn’t impressed me much.
    The Koskinen/Montoya battle is a big item and Koskinen hasn’t helped himself. At all. Talbot has looked good, not great, but good enough so far.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder if McLeod gets one more game against a real team on Sunday or if he’s shipped back to junior before the weekend?

17. deardylan says:

Jaxon,

Great review of game Jaxon. Enjoyed reading it!

18. Jaxon says:

I hope McLeod gets more games. He’s earned them.

19. Jaxon says:

The Faulk storyline is interesting (rumourline?). It scares me but it is also a gamble that could pay off. That’s a lot of salary to eat, though. The only way I’d do it is if Carolina retained salary and they took Kassian and Caggiula off our hands. I’d also want Di Guisseppe coming back (to make room for Kassian and Caggiula they’d probably have to expose him on waivers anyway).
    What cap hit would be acceptable? (ie. how much would they have to retain?)

Faulk at $4M ($0.833M retained?) or $3.5 ($1.333M retained?)
    Di Guisseppe

for

Kassian
    Caggiula
    3nd Round pick

Would a 3rd do it? I suspect not. Depends on how much they want a player like Kassian.

20. Jaxon says:

deardylan:
    Jaxon,

Great review of game Jaxon. Enjoyed reading it!

Thanks!

I hope they send McLeod and Bouchard back to junior soon. At most only one more game for either, please.

Effing around with junior players shows a lack of focus at the task at hand. i.e. Not having the season be over by Christmas.

The Oilers should not be trying to run a day care and a hockey team at the same time. McLeod and Bouchard will arrive soon enough, probably next year.

Things in training camp are never what they appear to be.

Jaxon:
    What cap hit would be acceptable? (ie. how much would they have to retain?)

Faulk at $4M ($0.833M retained?) or $3.5 ($1.333M retained?)
    Di Guisseppe

for

Kassian
    Caggiula
    3nd Round pick

That is sort of like paying two $1 million dollar installments to give Faulk away for nothing.

23. maudite says:

The beauty of last nights game regardless of comp level is this:

Key to success Mcdavid line

1. Pass to Mcdavid
    2. Let mcdavid blitz around 3 people
    3. Trail after Mcdavid get open somewhere in HDSC area
    4. Have stick down
    5. Quickly release puck when it finds you on net

Nuge and Rattie have the speed to find soft ice and are both releasing quickly (honestly a reason why eberle was not a good fit for Mcdavid he takes too many touches).

If Pu and Drai can mesh and LW has some 2 way game and some passing skills…we hopefully have enough pieces left to get bottom 6 that can at least near saw off.

PP bounces a bit (this shouldn’t be rocket science McD/Drai, Nuge+ on second should at least yield mid pack results)
    PK should be better (brodziak and reider plus some better coaching strategy)

Goaltending gives us something resembling average

We are right there on the playoff bubble.

The defense just needs to tread water and make some outlet passes.

« Older Comments