Bless You, Uncle Son (they won’t forget you when the revolution comes)

This is an important day in the NHL calendar. All teams must submit to mandatory cap compliance on opening day rosters which are due at 3pm Edmonton time. As things stand this morning, the Oilers are at 25, with Andrej Sekera headed for the LTIR. There’s a possibility the two PTO’s get signed in the hours after compliance, with Sekera safely landed on the injured reserve. It’s also possible we see a trade today in an effort to achieve greater roster balance.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $4 a month!

• New Lowetide: A transaction flurry as Oilers finalize 2018-19 roster
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Leon’s time to shine. This is an amazing piece, exceptional.
  • Lowetide: Oilers waive Aberg, release Jerabek and stand at 25.
  • Lowetide: Oilers prospects Berglund, Maksimov off to fine starts
  • Lowetide: Is this the year an Edmonton Oilers player wins the Calder Trophy?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Evan Bouchard enlists former figure skater to help improve a weakness in his game.
  • Jonathan Willis: Mikko Koskinen temporarily triumphs over Al Montoya, but the real battle for the backup role has just started
  • Eric Duhatschek: Milan Lucic has made changes to try and get his swagger, and scoring touch, back.
  • Jonathan Willis: What does the preseason performance of Jesse Puljujarvi and Kailer Yamamoto mean for the Oilers?
  • Lowetide: Impressive Cooper Marody preseason could lead to NHL recall.
  • Lowetide: Oilers farm system beginning to resemble the real thing
  • New Lowetide: RE 18-19: Cam Talbot is key to Oilers success in 2018-19
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: A case for the defence.
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Ryan Strome and the Oilers long journey to competent third and fourth lines
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Leon Draisaitl and the pursuit of a second outscoring line in ’18-19
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Can the McDavid line lead the 2018-19 Oilers to the playoffs?

WAIVERS

• G Curtis McElhinney, Toronto Maple Leafs. My belief is that McElhinney is superior to Edmonton’s backup and the organization should grab this player off waivers. It won’t happen (there are $2.5 million reasons why) but that’s the play here, grab this goalie. In 18 games with Toronto one year ago, McElhinney’s save percentage was .934. He is 35 and a short-term option.
  • G Calvin Pickard, Toronto Maple Leafs. His resume is a little uneven but Pickard would be a good bet for a solid backup goalie. Posted a .918SP in the AHL a year ago.
  • RD Ryan Murphy, Minnesota Wild. Fleet offensive defender who posts good offense (11-41-52 in his last 80 AHL games) while also bringing chaos defensively. He would be a player worth considering for the Oilers, but one suspects the organization is pleased with Bouchard and convinced Bear is a solid backup position. Or at least it appears so at this time.
  • RC Rocco Grimaldi, Nashville Predators. He’s small, smaller, smallest and is 25 now, but man I love his skill. Over his last three AHL seasons, he is averaging 29 goals per 82 games. I would love to see him get a full NHL shot.
  • R Sam Gagner, Vancouver Canucks. He makes $3.150 million for the next two years, so there’s zero chance Edmonton would grab him. He was part of an electric power play in Columbus but never had the speed one associates with successful smaller high-skill forwards. Has now played 770 NHL games.
  • L Dmitrij Jaskin, St. Louis Blues. He makes $1.1 million so the Oilers could afford him. A fine utility option, he can play all three forward positions and is has always been on the right side of possession (one negative rel in his entire career).

COMPLETE RE (FORWARDS) 2018-19

As promised, here is my work, will pass along defense and goaltending tomorrow. I have time on ice by discipline as well, although can’t imagine anyone would want to see that wall of numbers. I am projecting Connor McDavid to break on through to the other side, Nuge and Leon to pop 25+ and project five men to score between 10 and 18 goals. Last season, the top nine forwards delivered 163 goals, I’m projecting 182 for this group.

As an aside, my projections are already dead in the water. Pontus Aberg, who I was hoping to see on this team in 2018-19, is gone to Anaheim. So, it’s an exercise in futility but I enjoy doing it enormously. Hope you enjoy poring over these numbers.

CURRENT ROSTER

Edmonton doesn’t have to move a muscle to get compliant today, the roster sits at 23 (PTO’s haven’t signed yet and Peter Chiarelli has $589,668 (via CapFriendly). After they are confirmed compliant, the Oilers:

• Will place Andrej Sekera on IR in the instant after declaring.
  • Will send Ethan Bear to Bakersfield.
  • Will sign Jason Garrison and Alex Chiasson.

The question I have, and we should know soon, involves another transaction. Should the general manager make a deal for Alex Petrovic? He’s $1.95 million this season and then hits free agency. If Garrison and Chiasson come in at $1.6 combined, that’s over $3.5 million spent, three million dollars covered by Sekera’s LTIR. Is it worth it? Perhaps Garrison isn’t signed if Petrovic (or similar) are acquired. We’re going to find out right away. I still worry about a trade that mortgages the future, a ‘the call is coming from inside the house’ moment just before the season begins. Probably nothing. Probably.

BAKERSFIELD CONDORS 2018-19

The AHL site has Bakersfield’s roster, Stuart Skinner isn’t on it and Luke Esposito was signed to an AHL deal. Here’s the group:

• Tyler Benson—Cooper Marody—Tyler Vesel
  • Joe Gambardella—Josh Currie—Patrick Russell
  • Dave Gust—Brad Malone—Mitch Callahan
  • Nolan Vesey—Cameron Hebig—Evan Polei
  • Braden Christoffer—Luke Esposito—John McFarland
  • Kevin Gravel—William Lagesson
  • Ryan Stanton—Caleb Jones
  • Keegan Lowe—Logan Day
  • Jake Kulevich—Jeremy Beaudry
  • Al Montoya (Dylan Wells)

Stuart Skinner and Colin Larkin do not appear on the roster, along with Shane Starrett and Ethan Bear who are in Germany with the NHL team.

TRANSACTIONS

Oilers dealt Jakub Jerabek yesterday, people went crazy for all kinds of reasons. If you want the truth, it goes like this: Peter Chiarelli, having learned about the Andrej Sekera injury, made an astute bet on the strongest (or near) option available. Jerabek didn’t have a good training camp, the organization felt a need to move on, and PC grabbed a late draft pick in 2020. It was a reasonable set of business decisions by the general manager, worthy of no monuments but we can acknowledge it as being solid work. The one area I might be critical? Jerabek may well have been a good option, exhibition games are exactly that, and Edmonton may regret making a decision on such a small sample. However, that’s nitpicking in my opinion.

The Oilers also lost Pontus Aberg on waivers to the Anaheim Ducks. I mentioned in my piece for The Athletic late Sunday it was curious the young winger didn’t get any time with Leon Draisaitl during preseason. He had played well there. I believe that’s a bigger item today than Jerabek but the general manager’s job is to provide the coach with players he can use. Todd McLellan didn’t see a way to use Aberg, we’ll see how he shines in California.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we hit the airwaves like a full force gale. TSN1260, waiver i nformation and possibly a trade today, likely one or two signings and certainly a transaction. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. Oilers cut down to 23, how much impact will the rookies have?
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. MLB playoffs, CFL crazy time, NHL rosters final.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

279 Responses to "Bless You, Uncle Son (they won’t forget you when the revolution comes)"

« Older Comments
  1. Wilde says:

hunter1909: your prediction will be duly reversed.

As always, dissenting opinion is censored, and the discourse is homogenised.

€√¥£€^$: Is he Point V 2.0?

Shy offensively by the raw counts.

I’d expect a successful NHL rookie season would be a similar total to Point’s though, 18-22-40.

Could just be nine games. Probably depends on Vilardi’s back.

2. Melvis says:

OriginalPouzar,

I’m not up on the detail. I was just thinking about and paraphrasing a Bryzgalov quote.

3. €√¥£€^$ says:

Just took a look at LA’s roster, wow!

LA’s <25 Y.O. unheralded forwards IMO, will steal at least a few wins for them this season.

1. Kempe – very fast, 22 years old, 16 goals as a rookie last year
    2. Iafalo, 24, 25 pts as a rookie last year
    3. Anderson-Dolan, 19, makes team in Draft +1 as a 2nd round pick
    4. Amadio, 22, 37 games in NHL last year, defensive acumen and considered by some as top-scoring prospect in LA's system. Second coming of Mark Stone?
    5. Wagner, 21, banged up last year in AHL, has speed in spades, might give CMD a good race…

If Quick is healthy and Kovalchuk is scoring, and these guys are populating their bottom 6, AND Doughty AND Kopitar this team will win the Division and possibly even the conference.

4. jtblack says:

Woodguy got me thinking about the 5L PP. I still don’t like it.

As an ex goalie; I can say that the Goalie is aware of everybody on the ice and what hand they are (in a PP situation). Not have 1 off hand player makes it easier for a Goalie, full stop.

Wining the draw is huge in a PP. If a team loses it, it costs them at least 20 seconds and they have to work so hard just to regain possession in the O zone. I would prefer to have a Righty take the draws on his strong side.

These are little % increments But I beleive that isthe fine line between winning amd losing in pro sports.

I hope this 5 L proves me wrong. But if doesn’t I hope the coaching staff changes it up soon, unlike last year.

Rocknrolla:
    Also are both games on the large ice? Or did they shrink the NJ game because it is regular season?

6. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: The NHL game, the Saturday game, is on NHL ice I believe. Tomorrow’s game on the ocean with Darmok.

McDavid, his sails unfurled!

7. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$:
    OriginalPouzar,

I’d like to see Kassian and Yamamoto switch spots just to see what that might look like, otherwise Rieder and Yammer…

8. Mantis says:

Hunter,

Thanks for doing this again – I’ll go 95 for the Oil, and 17 for Yak.

9. jtblack says:

So damn Nervous for the season to start.!!

TSN panel has WPG as Cup Champ.

10. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Kassian is lucky to just be on the team right now (let alone in the lineup and higher than the fourth line) given his preseason performance

You sometimes remind me of Gregory Peck, playing that whaling captain after the White Whale.

11. jtblack says:

+1. He has been junk since the last half of last year.

12. Numenius says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s 2018-19 Death March™ is Back!!

Here’s how you enter:

Predict the final points total of the Oilers 2018-19 season.

Tie break: how many goals does Yakupov score in the KHL?

That’s it!

I’ll say Oilers with 94 points

Yak with 20 goals.

13. Scungilli Slushy says:

The Oiler’s farm is pretty close to having the same quality of seed as most. They ‘currently’ have more chances at the seed store than their natural number.

It’s all about manure now. And the farmers.

I don’t worry about the other farms anymore. The Oiler’s farm has good land and everything it needs. The grass is always greener as they say.

Time to produce better crops and have the wisdom to fallow properly.

14. pts2pndr says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Let’s wait 20 games to see if we still have the same head coach. The new guy may use Kassian differently.

That is my hope as well!

15. Ryan says:

jtblack: +1. He has been junk since the last half of last year.

I’m concerned that someone may have hacked into OP’s account.

I find myself agreeing with him far more than I’m accustomed to lately.

16. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    So damn Nervous for the season to start.!!

TSN panel has WPG as Cup Champ.

They have a deep roster but I still see them as the Caps, Lightning or Preds. Reg season killers, not enough for the final 4.

I think PC has built for a team that can win in the final 4. Of course much of that was luck and good draft picks before him. The biggest missing link isn’t Lucic anymore, it’s between the pipes in that they don’t have a proven top flight, year in year out solution yet.

Maybe within a given year, anything can happen that way.

17. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

18. Rocknrolla says:

OriginalPouzar: Game in Gothenburg against the Devils is on regular NHL ice.

Thanks !

19. hunter1909 says:

Message Boards and user friendliness planned for DeathMarch site.

Trouble is, it’s run by idiots.

20. Ryan says:

jtblack,

Isn’t the magic of the right shot on the power play due to the basic reality that you can bang one-timers at the goalie’s blocker side from your off wing?

For the goalies out there, isn’t it harder to defend shots on the blocker side? Like most players, most goalies shoot left.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: We shouldn’t take away anything from the preseason for the vets … it’s only preseason. Except for certain players that is … THOSE guys not showing up big for preseason means a lot. By the way, what was your take again on Milan given his blistering preseason? Fourth line or just lucky to be on the team?

22. Rocknrolla says:

23. digger50 says:

Wait a minute, what happened to preseason is meaningless?

Unless your Aberg or Jerebeck, then I think it did have some meaning.

Edit: wasn’t trying to pile on.

24. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

€√¥£€^$:
    Just took a look at LA’s roster, wow!

1. Kempe – very fast, 22 years old, 16 goals as a rookie last year
    2. Iafalo, 24, 25 pts as a rookie last year
    3. Anderson-Dolan, 19, makes team in Draft +1 as a 2nd round pick
    4. Amadio, 22, 37 games in NHL last year, defensive acumen and considered by some as top-scoring prospect in LA’s system.Second coming of Mark Stone?

If Quick is healthy and Kovalchuk is scoring, and these guys are populating their bottom 6, ANDDoughty AND Kopitar this team will win the Division and possibly even the conference.

Kempe is the goods. I have never seen Anderson-Dolan so I have no opinion. The other three are nothing special to write home about other than probably being on real cheap contracts. Replacement level guys. Like Drake only maybe cheaper.

25. geowal says:

If Russell is on IR, when can he play again?

26. pts2pndr says:

Harsh, he actualy played well in his last game. He was involved,physical and also passable on the PK.

27. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ve posted my thoughts on Lucic’s pre-season and I saw much better with the puck at the bluelines and in transition than last year – he was making passes and little plays, the things that made him successful for most of the last decade.

He better be making more than passes and little plays if he is slotted for the 2nd line. Aberg was making passes and little plays.

28. Jaxon says:

Good news. Seattle getting closer to a done deal today. Right now, even if Bouchard and Yamamoto play over 9 games this season they very likely won’t have to worry about protecting them. It looks like pretty long odds that expansion gets pushed back a year.

It still has to go to a full board member vote on about December 7th or 8th in Florida, but Seattle is confident enough after this meeting vote that they are now starting demolition and construction. The December vote seems to be mostly a formality at this point. I think most teams want that extra $20M in expansion fees in their pocket sooner, too.

I’d still slow play Bouchard’s 9 game stint over the first 29 games so it coincides with the final expansion vote on Dec. 7th. Then if they elect to keep him with the club, then he can play their next game when Calgary visits Edmonton, or if they decide to let him go, he can go back and join the World Junior team and continue his junior career and take a run at a Memorial Cup.

If they feel he is very close to as good as Bear for 3RD or other NHL #6D, then they should give him 9 games split with Bear. I firmly believe Bouchard will learn way more staying up with the Oilers and traveling, training, practicing, watching game tape, skating with them and watching live games with a mentor, like maybe Paul Coffey, in the press box. He’ll learn the speed of the game and how to process things more quickly and where to be defensively and how to close gaps at NHL speed. He can’t learn that in junior. I think the games off between will also be useful. Recovery time and time to process what he has learned in games. The slow start may allow him to get through a long season if they elect to keep him. Plus, it will earn him some serious pocket money and good faith with the team.

29. jtblack says:

Ryan: I’m concerned that someone may have hacked into OP’s account.

I find myself agreeing with him far more than I’m accustomed to lately.

That would be a “Material” breach

30. jtblack says:

Ryan:
    jtblack,

Not sure what your point is? I was backwards (like Fuhr) … bottom line is the “threat” of the one timer matters. and quite possibly the execution matters somewhat : See Ovie. See Stammer. But what do those 2 PP’s know.

31. jtblack says:

digger50: Wait a minute, what happened to preseason is meaningless?

Unless your Aberg or Jerebeck, then I think it did have some meaning.

Edit:wasn’t trying to pile on.

Well said. The Pre season doesn’t matter; unless it does.

32. jtblack says:

Rocknrolla: Thanks…makes sense then to have Koskinen in for the big ice…apparently Jack michaels was laughing that CamBot had a very tough time with the angles at practise today!

McDavid may have the puck for half the game on that ice

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Jack may be laughing but I’m not – I’ve got a concern about (a) Talbot practicing on the big ice the last few days and that messing with him a bit and (b) Talbot not playing a game for a full week heading in to Saturday (his Oiler history shows he’s not great with long layoffs).

34. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50: Wait a minute, what happened to preseason is meaningless?

Unless your Aberg or Jerebeck, then I think it did have some meaning.

Edit:wasn’t trying to pile on.

I never said preseason is meaningless.

What I said was the early preseason games, the first half or so of preseason, are meaningless with respect to NHL readiness of the young higher talent players. Guys like McLeod, Yamamoto, etc. are generally going to produce offence in those games – it happens year after year after year, however, its not translatable to NHL readiness. People opining that Ryan McLeod should be given NHL games this year is mind-boggling to me.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

geowal:
    If Russell is on IR, when can he play again?

He is actually eligible to come off for Game 1 as the start date of IR can be back-dated to the date of injury.

36. €√¥£€^$ says:

OriginalPouzar,

Sure, he’s underwhelmed and so has Leon. Put him with a primetime player and let’s see if it lights a fuse…that is all

More importantly, Yamamoto on the 4th line gives each line a “driver”. I’d like to see how that might work out.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Jaxon:
    Good news. Seattle getting closer to a done deal today. Right now, even if Bouchard and Yamamoto play over 9 games this season they very likely won’t have to worry about protecting them.It looks like pretty long odds that expansion gets pushed back a year.

This is a major major thing and I sure hope expansion isn’t delayed – the only benefit i see to it being delayed is we lose Russell’s NMC and he won’t be a must-protect.

If it is delayed, anyone that turns pro this year will no longer be exempt (Yamamoto, Marody, Benson, potentially Bouchard).

38. Glovjuice says:

Justthestatsman: Never eaten there TBH, but there’s lots of nice places just down the road on the main drag in Jasper if you’re headed that way.

39. Glovjuice says:

GMB3:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat in Hinton?

40. €√¥£€^$ says:

€√¥£€^$:
    Just took a look at LA’s roster, wow!

1. Kempe – very fast, 22 years old, 16 goals as a rookie last year
    2. Iafalo, 24, 25 pts as a rookie last year
    3. Anderson-Dolan, 19, makes team in Draft +1 as a 2nd round pick

*Note Amadio shown as 6’3″ 227 on CapFriendly/Elite Prospects, while LA Kings site shows him as 6’1″ 204, so the Mark Stone comparison doesn’t apply.

41. €√¥£€^$ says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan,

I respectfully disagree. I really liked Wagner in the Dub, and although I am not familiar with the others I have seen Cagguila, er once or twice and I am betting the others would impress me more.

42. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

€√¥£€^$:
    Decidedly Skeptical Fan,

I respectfully disagree.I really liked Wagner in the Dub, and although I am not familiar with the others I have seen Cagguila, er once or twice and I am betting the others would impress me more.

Hard to say. Cagguila probably shows pretty well in the AHL. Too bad we will never find out.

Saw lots of Ontario Reign games in person the last few years. Those others were nothing special at all. Kempe on the other hand …

43. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy: The Oiler’s farm has good land and everything it needs.

my last article was on this and I’ve been railing against it for awhile but

Tampa has 7 returning non-drafted (by them) forwards signed to their farm team that scored an estimated (via prospect-stats.com) 2.00/60 5v5

Pittsburgh has 6.

Philidelphia has 7.

Our farm has 1, and it’s Josh Currie coming off of a career year.

Tyler Vesel, the guy they’re playing with our two main prospects up front didn’t reach PPG in the NCAA as a 24 year old playing top line minutes.

We don’t sign players with offense to play on our farm team with our skill prospects.

It’s a problem.

44. JimmyV1965 says:

€√¥£€^$:
    Just took a look at LA’s roster, wow!

1. Kempe – very fast, 22 years old, 16 goals as a rookie last year
    2. Iafalo, 24, 25 pts as a rookie last year
    3. Anderson-Dolan, 19, makes team in Draft +1 as a 2nd round pick

Interesting. You see all those kids and think the Kings will have a great year. I see all those kids and think they are in big trouble. I think the Kings might be the second worst team in the division. Quick will need to be out of his mind.

45. Glovjuice says:

GMB3:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat in Hinton?

hunter1909: Don’t worry DeathMarch™ is generous, and your prediction will be duly reversed.

111 points Oil and 31 Yak attacks, Mr. Hunter dude.

46. Diesel says:

Hunter, Good Sir,,,

101 points and 17 yak city slides.

Thanks!!

47. €√¥£€^$ says:

Wilde: my last article was on this and I’ve been railing against it for awhile but

Pittsburgh has 6.

Philidelphia has 7.

Our farm has 1, and it’s Josh Currie coming off of a career year.

It’s a problem.

Great job by the way, I have really enjoyed reading your work.

Thank you for putting in the time and effort!

48. GMB3 says:

Glovjuice: Folding Mountain Brewing 10 minutes west of Hinton has a totally killer restaurant at decent prices and stunning beer – the interior design is SSSOOOO awesome as well.

111 points Oil and 31 Yak attacks, Mr. Hunter dude.

Folding Mountain Brewing 10 minutes west of Hinton has a totally killer restaurant at decent prices and stunning beer – the interior design is SSSOOOOawesome as well.

I saw that! I’ll make sure to check it out before I leave. Thank you.

49. €√¥£€^$ says:

JimmyV1965,

The way I look at it is, much like every team, if their key players are healthy and play to their potential, they could really surprise. Of course this can be said of many teams, but not many teams have a Doughty, Kopitar and Kovalchuk. I am thinking if they don’t make hay this season, we won’t see them back in the play-offs until after Doughty has hung up his skates.

These young guys won’t be playing big minutes, but they could be very important minutes. And I see them as superior to the Cliffords, Lewis’s and Thompsons, at least in terms of scoring chances.

After this season with their old dudes on the team, I think the Kings will be hanging out with the ‘Nucks in the Divisional cellar for a few years.

50. jm363561 says:

Woodguy v2.0: They had 8MM in cap space last year so they could afford him.

His$1.3MM buyout cap hit would have ended after the 19/20 and not 20/21 season.

That matters.

We can’t assume that Pete explored a trade with retained salary since right after he bought out Gryba we saw Gryba sign for more than 50% of his previous salary in NJD.

i think Shero would rather have Gryba at 450 2 ways than 700/300.

These things matter.

========
    Much better explained than I ever managed. You are 100% correct when you say these things matter. Sigh.

The Pouliot buyout / unused cap fiasco was when I finally accepted Chia was not competent. I had not realised Gryba signed for 50% more — even greater incompetence than I had originally thought. Sigh.

I recall you saying Peter has a history but smart people learn from their mistakes. Is Chia smart? Sigh.

51. Pescador says:

I endorse these comments,
    Folding Mountain is a damn fine brewery

52. flea says:

jm363561,

I always look at buyouts as an employee getting fired. Most people said – oh they did Gryba a solid ’cause he’s a stand up guy. I really don’t think that’s the mentality in a buyout. That player is no longer wanted on the team. Maybe the agents leak the situation to other GMs so no one will trade for them. Why trade when you can force an opponent into a buyout and sign the player for no assets later.

So the Oilers wanted Pouliot and Gryba gone, too much grilling, not enough hockeying.

There must be other benefits to the buyouts (get rid of said player could be one) that outweigh the financial penalty. At least you’d hope there is.

53. TeeVee says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for:

Oilers 111
    Yak 23

54. OilSlickster says:

LadiesloveSmid,

So was Jonathon Marchessault. Why cant we have our version 🙂

55. Zelepukin says:

Hunter:
    96 points
    Yak 20 goals

Thanks for doing this once again Hunter

56. OriginalPouzar says:

None of Russell, Larsson or Khaira will play today but coach is hopeful all theee will be playing on Sat.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Chiarelli mentioned this morning that, when Reggie comes back, that’s where using LTIR space causes a challenge. I’m very happy he’s acknowledging the risks of uaonf the LTIR cushion iand interesting to note the implication that Sekera will be returning.

58. Johnny Larue says:

Game day here in Cologne on the Oilers Now trip . Seen the boys out and about all together as a team and talking to insiders trip has so far been a great bonding experience. TMac gave our group a short talk and said the intensity of the players has been greater than ever before and they are ready to get going. They are cautiously optimistic about the team but were nervous about this first game on the large ice as they are in a no win situation as they are expected to win and it’s just an exhibition but the Sharks are going to be treating it as their Stanley Cup. Anyways off to the pub to get ready for puck drop. Game starts here at 4:00 pm it’s a holiday here in Germany reunification day so should be a lot of fun.

59. Johnny Larue says:

OriginalPouzar:

60. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Issue is:

1) Oilers were not in a position to commit the type of money it was going to cost to find a goalie that may “supplant Talbot”; and

2) Aside from goalie Bob, is there a single recent example of a long-time KHL goalie coming over and becoming a starter – not to mention at 30 plus years of age?

You make good points.

Which of the FA goalies would you have signed?

If Talbot has a bad year in 18/19 then 3 of his 4 years here are bad and you need to find another starter.

61. Woodguy v2.0 says:

knighttown: Jeez that’s almost plagiarism on my part. Exact same line of thinking including the bizarro-Jets and 97 being on the half wall on both units. I normally read all your stuff on Twitter but missed that stretch in mid September golfing in Ireland.

I still haven’t heard a good answer as to why it wouldn’t work. If 5 right shots is awesome what could even be the theory as to why 5 left shots would struggle ?

“Great minds” and all sir. 🙂

62. London Jon says:

Ryan:
    jtblack,

In ye olden days it was known that goalies tended to push off the right skate better than the left due to ‘footedness’. I was weirdly the opposite – pushed off the left skate better despite being right footed. I’m sure NHL goalies have figured that out and trained that out.

The bigger deal is that your glove is a lovely big free flowing mitt to stop the puck with. Your blocker always feels like the awkward rectangle that it is. And it’s encumbered, dragged down and made even more awkward because you’ve got a heavy old stick to hold in it as well.

I love seeing the stick drop, last ditch, blocker first, launch to the right. What a move…

63. London Jon says:

Johnny Larue:

Are you going to Sweden as well?

64. dessert1111 says:

Hi Hunter,

Please put me down for 100 for the Oilers and 20 goals for Yak.

65. nelson88 says:

Looking to watch the game in Berlin if anyone on this great big ball of knowledge has any suggestions?

Thrilled to see Bear take another step forward this year. Never understood all the love for the Lames young d prospects while Bear was/is considered by many pundits as a lesser product

66. Primetime says:

Woodguy v2.0: You make good points.

Which of the FA goalies would you have signed?

I have stated before that if he has a GOOD year, then still 2 of his 4 years have been bad. Are you willing to commit the cap hit that he is likely to demand coming of a good year to someone that has been 50% at best? Obviously, we wouldn’t if he has another off year. Either way, I think we are in the market for a new starter next year…

67. €√¥£€^$ says:

nelson88:

or

or if you are looking for a sports bar, Belushi’s – although it is holiday, so it might be closed.

68. nelson88 says:

€√¥£€^$,

Many thanks!

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Really looks like Yamamoto has the 2RW spot over Rieder. As much as Yamamoto did not work there in pre-season, I would rather see him there over Rieder so I’m happy about this. The question is where does Rieder slot in when Khaira plays in his 3LW spot? At 4LW with Caggulia out?

EXPECTED LINEUP

The Oilers will go with a younger blueline with the following potential line combinations for the contest:

Nugent-Hopkins – McDavid – Rattie
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Yamamoto
    Rieder – Strome – Puljujarvi
    Kassian – Brodziak – Caggiula

Defence pairings:

Garrison – Bear
    Klefbom – Bouchard
    Nurse – Benning

70. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Primetime: I have stated before that if he has a GOOD year, then still 2 of his 4 years have been bad.Are you willing to commit the cap hit that he is likely to demand coming of a good year to someone that has been 50% at best?Obviously, we wouldn’t if he has another off year.Either way, I think we are in the market for a new starter next year…

– I agree with this: Let’s say Talbot returns to form from last year: how much do you think the Oil would be willing to pay him long-term based on 2 good and 2 not good years?

– The thought of signing Talbot for a 4x$5MM, because he’s plays better this year is worrisome

– The good thing is there are now a number of goalies who are closer to NHL starting in 2019

– I suspect Talbot will be much better this year, and that is a good problem of course.

– Vezina votes for him this year will be dear, and hopefully doesn’t trick the Oil into thinking he’s a long-term 5 year contract G

Gameday post is up.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

Johnny Larue: TMac in the talk to our group also said that he expects that they all would be ready to go for the game in Sweden.

Yes, he said that in his presser this morning (although he said “expected” but then changed it to “hopeful”.

Who gets re-assigned if/when Russell is activated? Got to be Bear.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Oooops, wrong thread – Go Oilers!

74. Spartacus says:

I am at the game in Cologne, sitting in the stands of this sports arena waiting for the game to begin. Red lights, green light, strawberry wine, a good friend of mine, follows the stars, Venus and mars are all right tonight. It’s about two minutes to game time. There aren’t Oilers jersey is everywhere.

75. Spartacus says:

It looks like nurse Benning… Draisaitl, Rieder, and Lucic. Koskinen , of course.

76. Spartacus says:

I’m fascinated by the fan here. The fans in the seats behind either net, what I am assuming are the club seats, each have a drummer and they go back-and-forth with Chad Dan and Wayne being. They really know how to hockey in Cologne.

Oilers look tentative, I think NHL.com might have the feed for those not watching on television.

78. Spartacus says:

Brian Jones is a pretty big star here. His picture was on the Billboard plastered on the stadium and he was just standing at the weather and blue line while the play was still in the shark end of the eight

79. Kmart99 says:

Final roster looks pretty good IMO.
    Not having the 16/17 Andrej Sekera will continue to hurt this team.
    I would have liked Aberg instead of Caggiula, but Chiarelli is clearly committed to the player.
    Fully expect Talbot to bounce back to his 15/16 and 16/17 Oilers numbers. .917-.919 range is more than possible. Even a +.920 season should be achievable for CT.
    I really expect Klefbom to bounce back to his 16/17 performance. He has looked really solid in comparison to last season.

Al,

Your RE looks very realistic. Not sure CMD can do 120, but I’d never bet against it.
    Ty Rattie and JP at 40pts doesn’t seem completely impossible to me either, but I your projections are very reasonable.

« Older Comments