2018-19 Preseason Game Eight: Oilers at Cologne Sharks

Cologne is the fourth largest city in Germany, with a metro population of 3.5 million Schweinsteigers. Although Berlin, Hamburg and Munich are larger (and more famous) there is much to admire about Cologne. The city’s history is stunning, you could get lost in it and never find your way back to the 20th century, let alone this one. The Rhine floods routinely, soccer rules the day and beer runs freely from dawn to dusk and beyond. City council boasts two members from “The Good Ones” which sounds adorable and I’m not going to pursue knowledge because it’ll just ruin it when they aren’t an old married couple who ride bikes and sing 99 Luftballons. Cologne is lovely, and the home of Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton’s brilliant young schwenken. The Oilers play the town team today, Leon plays his Dad’s club in the town he’s known since a boy. It’s a nice story, one we’ll remember fondly if the Oilers can escape without a defenseman getting hurt.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $4 a month!

• New Lowetide: A transaction flurry as Oilers finalize 2018-19 roster
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Leon’s time to shine. This is an amazing piece, exceptional.
  • Lowetide: Oilers waive Aberg, release Jerabek and stand at 25.
  • Lowetide: Oilers prospects Berglund, Maksimov off to fine starts
  • Lowetide: Is this the year an Edmonton Oilers player wins the Calder Trophy?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Evan Bouchard enlists former figure skater to help improve a weakness in his game.
  • Jonathan Willis: Mikko Koskinen temporarily triumphs over Al Montoya, but the real battle for the backup role has just started
  • Eric Duhatschek: Milan Lucic has made changes to try and get his swagger, and scoring touch, back.
  • Jonathan Willis: What does the preseason performance of Jesse Puljujarvi and Kailer Yamamoto mean for the Oilers?
  • Lowetide: Impressive Cooper Marody preseason could lead to NHL recall.
  • Lowetide: Oilers farm system beginning to resemble the real thing
  • New Lowetide: RE 18-19: Cam Talbot is key to Oilers success in 2018-19
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: A case for the defence.
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Ryan Strome and the Oilers long journey to competent third and fourth lines
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Leon Draisaitl and the pursuit of a second outscoring line in ’18-19
  • Lowetide: RE 18-19: Can the McDavid line lead the 2018-19 Oilers to the playoffs?

COMPLETE RE (DEFENSE) 2018-19

I published the forwards yesterday, here are the defensemen. I didn’t project anyone to play 82 games, looks like that was a wise plan based on early results. The power-play points go to Klefbom and a few for Benning. Combined with the forwards, I’m projecting 249 goals for Edmonton. That’s an increase of 20 goals year over year.

COMPLETE RE (GOALIES) 2018-19

I have Talbot correcting and Koskinen doing an Anders Nilsson impersonation. The Oilers, based on my projections, are about to improve in goals against by 33. I’m projecting a goal differential of +20 for the year to come. Godspeed.

OPENING NIGHT LINEUP CONFIRMED

That defense being down two veterans must be a sphincter tightener for all involved, I’ll bet a 2-4 Peter Chiarelli is shopping down every aisle as we speak. He did get a nice piece of the LTIR to spend, poor Original Pouzar is going to be up nights worrying about it all winter. I don’t love the team but I love the fact they kept their powder dry. Almost the entire current active defense could be around for some time and right wing might be transformed a year from now (although going three for three is unlikely). I’m projecting this team to finish between 90 and 94 points, don’t know if it’ll be a playoff team but it should be a far more enjoyable ride in 2018-19.

TODAY’S LINEUP

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid—Ty Rattie
  • Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Kailer Yamamoto
  • Tobias Rieder—Ryan Strome—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Zack Kassian—Kyle Brodziak—Drake Caggiula
  • Jason Garrison—Ethan Bear
  • Oscar Klefbom—Evan Bouchard
  • Darnell Nurse—Matt Benning
  • Mikko Koskinen (Cam Talbot)

Good information via Mark Ciampa is here, Ryan Jones and Corey Power Potterplay are Sharks and will play this morning. My first thought when looking at the defense? Oh, those Oilers.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

We’ll be live at 10 this morning, TSN1260 with a strong group of guests. Scheduled to appear:

• Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. Baseball’s playoffs can bring a city to agony and ecstasy, sometimes in the same inning. We’ll set the stage with Jeff.
  • Kent Wilson, Flames Nation. The Calgary Flames made a lot of changes in the offseason, determined to make the playoffs. How much better are they?
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal. Our friend is in Newfoundland, we’ll chat about his homecoming and the Oilers game against Cologne.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. It’s hockey day!

321 Responses to "2018-19 Preseason Game Eight: Oilers at Cologne Sharks"

« Older Comments
  1. Revolved says:

Hunter,

Please put me down for 100 points and 20 goals by yak.

Thanks!

2. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Hey Hunter, put me down for 96 points and 15 goals.

Two rookie d pushing had me concerned.

3. N64 says:

Jethro Tull: Yeah, but pucks bounce of his ass right-handed.

~ good things happen when you turn the other cheek ~

4. jp says:

€√¥£€^$: And 5 Righties on PP2:8-56-18-98-74

LT, is this what you meant by balance, lol?

Based on Dellow’s article 5R PPs have been the best while 5L were the worst.

So I guess that 2nd unit should be killing it. Maybe the 2 will offset each other.

5. Bank Shot says:

Montreal’s Kotkaniemi looks about 12 years old.

6. Professor Q says:

Wait, so Wilson is allowed to be at the game and in full gear tonight?

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Safin not in the lineup for Halifx tonight and Rodrigue getting his first night off of the year for Drummondville.

8. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Woodguy v2.0: From what I’m told Manny doesn’t get to pick who is on the PP.

He’s given players and told “make it work”

Gee … what a surprise. Who in here didn’t expect that to be the case? You could hand Todd a perfectly good fire hose and the building would still burn down. Pointing the thing at the building isn’t enough, you have to actually turn the thing on.

Those first twenty games are going to take forever to get through.

9. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OriginalPouzar: May I ask where that information comes from?

10. Bank Shot says:

Leafs running four lefthanders on PP1.

Matthews just roofed the hell out of it on a fairly routine looking opportunity.

Having elite shooters makes all the difference on a PP.

11. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    PennersPancakes,

Hope the Oil never go full Old Boy again but honestly don’t think losing Nicholson is a huge deal.

It’s my understanding that Bob’s Big Burgers is what’s holding back the OBC.

Right now he’s tied to Pete.

He won’t always be.

The good thing about Bob’s Big Burgers is the generic name. Ergo. Any Bob can replace Nicholson.

Bob, yer uncle for example.

Now if the Oilers went out and made Peter Draisaitl an offer,e.g. – the cheese loaded Peter Eater might raise eyebrows.

12. Gret99zky says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s 2018-19 Death March™ is Back!!

Oilers 88 pts.
    YakCity 14 goals.

Thanks, Hunter!

13. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy v2.0: You are also missing the forwards do better when the Dmen can move the puck.

Maybe the 30% PP.

5 points in the playoffs Kempny wasn’t driving the bus. He was alright, but that’s about it.

14. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    OriginalPouzar,

“There is a hole but, with a bit more patience (yes, ugly word for Oilers fans, I know), these holes will be filled internally with value contracts – that is the way forward for me.”

I agree with you on this and the path forward.But what doesn’t align is being paitent and making the playoff this year.

I think the Oilers miss the playoffs, the GM and Coach are fired.And the incoming GM/Coach will inherit the 1st balance photo since 2006 ….Once Bouchard and Yammy make the team for good, there is actual balance.

KLEFBOM – LARSSON
    NURSE – BOUCHARD
    RUSSELL – BENNING

That is an NHL calibre D, assuming Bouchard is decent defensively to handle 2 RD.And when Bouchard arrives, I think he will be a better option than Klefbom on PP1.

Patience Grasshopper.

I think you can swap in Sekera for Russell.

Unless Sekera comes back this season and regains his form he’ll be untradeable.

Chiarelli will have to , and will want to move salary before the start of next season. I expect to see all or some of Russell, Kassian, Lucic, Sekera, Caggiula moved.

And soon it wouldn’t surprise me to see Strome, Benning, and even Larsson moved fairly soon as well.

Next camp is going to be a hotly contested one. There are a lot of players that will be pushing hard for legit roster spots.

15. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    Woodguy (or someone) wrote in here why Alzner was overrated and a terrible signing by MTL.

Now Alzner is a healthy scratch.

Everyone has piled on Dorion, but I honestly think Bergevin is the WORST GM in the NHL.He has dismantled MTL in his 6 years and they look terrible this year and for the next while.

JT I’m not trying to pile on but your comments are interesting to me.

I think Bergeron has the same issue the Oiler GMs do. Poutine Summits perhaps 😀

I was just in Quebec City first time, what an incredible place!

16. Glovjuice says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s 2018-19 Death March™ is Back!!

Here’s how you enter:

Predict the final points total of the Oilers 2018-19 season.

Tie break: how many goals does Yakupov score in the KHL?

That’s it!

Contest open until puck drop in Europe in an NHL game.

111 Oil / 31 Yak – posted yesterday but was imbedded in other ramble.

17. Oil2Oilers says:

Has the Leaves PowerPlay single handedly won them the cup yet?

18. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack: Again. I just think at least 1 player should be “the other hand”. With that said I am trying (trying hard) to be open minded.Manny V is not a novice when it comes to PP design, so there must be a reason or a thought process behind the 5L.If EDM starts filling the net early in the year on the PP, then we can all quit worrying about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if it might have something to do with scouting. Teams don’t spend a lot reg season from what I’ve read adjusting to the next opponent, just play their system because of time. It’s also why in season adjustments are hard to do.

It would be very cagey to run the same old crappy PP and then unleash a well constructed version on them.

They would do something to update their scouting but it would take away time elsewhere.

We continue to hope for brilliance.

19. Munny says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: No, you may not. I know you. You are going to take something perfectly dreadful and depressing and try and turn it into something happy and smiley.

I think I just damaged my sinuses.

20. Wilde says:

Bank Shot:
    Leafs running four lefthanders onPP1.

Having elite shooters makes all the difference on a PP.

In fact, the biggest driver for their 5-on-4 was Mitch Marner’s playmaking.

They’re not a great example for your point

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Yes, next year is the year that, in a perfect world:

– a player like Strome is replaced with the likes of Marody or Benson (long shot McLeod)

– a player like Russell is replaced with the likes of Lagesson, Berglund, Jones

22. Oil2Oilers says:

OriginalPouzar: Safin not in the lineup for Halifx tonight

Any word if his preseason injury has flared up?

23. pts2pndr says:

Pescador: I’ll shovel the driveway

If you are in Calgary please shovel the roads comming to town for Thanksgiving!

24. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, next year is the year that, in a perfect world:

– a player like Russell is replaced with the likes of Lagesson, Berglund, Jones

I don’t think McLeod, from the clan McLeod (love the orig Highlander) is a long shot next camp. His step up from expectations was big, and he’s got NHL tools now in size and speed. And he showed well defensively already.

I can see McLeod (to bad his name isn’t Connor)
    Yama
    Benson
    Jones
    Berglund
    and even Marody

pushing others off.

This was the best camp the Oilers have seen in yonks.

25. Professor Q says:

Carey Price has been on fire tonight. Good for him and the Canadiens.

26. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Oh gawd the Leafs circlejerk is going to be unbearable this season. Did you guys know they have 3 really good centers?

27. Richard S.S. says:

Whether the Oilers win or lose games will depend on the Goaltender and the Defense, and that’s how it should be. The Objective is +/- 3 goals.
    If the Oilers score more than three goals they will win a lot of games.
    If the Oilers don’t score more than three runs, the Defense and Goaltender must be very good for the Team to win.
    If the Oilers allow less than 3 goals they will win a lot of games.
    If the Oilers can’t allow less than three goals, then the Offense needs to score very well for the Team to win.

28. pts2pndr says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Has the Leaves PowerPlay single handedly won them the cup yet?

Hope springs eternal! Eternal is 1967 until. ………. eternity but who knows!

29. Scungilli Slushy says:

Nailer Yakumoto:

I hear they invented hockey. And Canada.

30. Glovjuice says:

Jaxon:
    I’m not too concerned that this game was as close it was. They played a team that is already in regular season form, a team playing on their familiar Olympic sized ice in front of an enthusiastic hometown crowd, a team coached by probably the only pro coach in the world who has watched over 269 Oilers games in the past 4 seasons. Peter Drasaitl knows the Oilers better than any non-Oiler coach. It’s also still only a preseason game and no Oiler wants to go 110% and get injured before the regular season. Also, it would have been bad form to play very aggressive in this ‘friendly’ (even though Nurse almost got into it in defence of Benning). All in all, a fine game, with room for improvement, but I’m not going to get too concerned until real games back in North America. Even against NJD in Sweden will be a strange animal that I won’t read too much into if they shit the bed.

31. pts2pndr says:

N64: ~ good things happen when you turn the other cheek~

Yes you do not get your nose broken!

32. Kris11 says:

Oilers 98 points
    Yak 64 goals!!!

33. Scungilli Slushy says:

So if Sportsnyet is blue with blue suit talking heads, and TSN is red with an indescribable cloth pattern, is TSN for the Sens and Habs?

34. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:
    That was a nice look by Bear to Strome for the winner (and a nice finish by Strome).

I think that Bear is ahead of Bouchard to play 3RD with Garrison.

Garrison, yikes – can you believe it’s come to this.

35. Bank Shot says:

Wilde: The Leafs had an elite unit last year that didn’t feature a primary Matthews trigger.

In fact, the biggest driver for their 5-on-4 was Mitch Marner’s playmaking.

They’re not a great example for your point

Probably not. I think having tonnes of depth in good PP performers to the point where they didn’t have to lean on a guy that scored 13 PP goals through his first two seasons probably helped them.

For the record I’m on board with having a guy on the half boards feeding three opposite handed shooters for one timers. That’s a perfect setup.

But at some point the talent of the players is more important than the handness of the shots. I think it will be pretty tough to determine that line.

36. pts2pndr says:

Scungilli Slushy: I hear they invented hockey. And Canada.

37. Professor Q says:

Glovjuice: luv the killer base line in the last 1/3 of Stange Animal by the mighty Gowan – just killer.

O Ominous Spiritus!

38. jtblack says:

Anyone see that “Backstrom to Ovie” PP goal. LH player cross ice to RH player. Gets Goalie moving. Hard to stop Difficult to control rebound.

It’s not a new concept. I swear.

39. Old Timer says:

Oilers 97

Yak 17

40. Professor Q says:

pts2pndr: And when God gives Canada an ennama he will place it in the center of the country which everyone from Ontario recognizes as ???

Nunavut and Manitoba?

My initial thought was Churchill prior to looking it up, so I was fairly close.

41. Professor Q says:

jtblack:
    Anyone see that“Backstrom to Ovie” PP goal.LH player cross ice to RH player.Gets Goalie moving. Hard to stopDifficult to control rebound.

It’s not a new concept. I swear.

And in fact the opposite direction of passing that most commenters here are asking for (LH from left side pass to RH on right side, whereas Backstrom and Ovechkin are of course reversed). But, it works.

42. camelwalking says:

Thanks hunter!

Oilers 95
    Yak 18

43. who says:

Bank Shot:
    Leafs running four lefthanders onPP1.

Having elite shooters makes all the difference on a PP.

Yeah and the righty sets up on the right half wall. How will they ever score?
    Babcock must be an idiot!

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers: Any word if his preseason injury has flared up?

I’m not sure but he must be banged up as they only dressed 11 forwards.

I’m making some inquiries.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: I don’t think McLeod, from the clan McLeod (love the orig Highlander) is a long shotnext camp. His step up from expectations was big, and he’s got NHL tools now in size and speed. And he showed well defensively already.

I can see McLeod (to bad his name isn’t Connor)
    Yama
    Benson
    Jones
    Berglund
    and even Marody

pushing others off.

This was the best camp the Oilers have seen in yonks.

Fair enough on McLeod but, to me, he’s still a long shot for next year. With current NHL depth at center and Yamamoto, Benson and Marody all going in to their 2nd years of pro, presumably we don’t need to “rush” him at all.

He had a fantastic camp but, to me, alot of that was vis-a-vis expectations as noone really expected a just drafted 2nd rounder to make it past the first round of junior camps.

To me, the talk of him playing NHL games this year was kind of silly – it was never a realistic option. Of course, as per most young talented prospects, his effectiveness fell off in the back-half of camp.

For me, he will be in the “distant bell” category to start camp next year but could definitely get moved to the “Uncertain Oilers” during camp.

Of course, there is a full junior season for him to take his status to another level – Here is hoping he makes the World Junior Team – he was pedestrian at the summer showcase.

46. Genjutsu says:

delooper:
    Best beer?I’m not certain.Cologne has very high-quality beer but the thing that really distinguishes it from what you can get in Canada is the price. A half-litre bottle for a euro is very pleasant.

If beer was that cheap here, sure we wouldn’t have the same Kolsch, but a one-dollar Fin Du Monde would please me just as much.

1 dollar for Fin really would be the end of the world.

47. Professor Q says:

Oh, lordy. Dangerous play by Ouellet there. Checks Matthews, then as Matthews is falling, decides to “follow through” with a crosscheck to Matthews’ head against the boards.

Dangerous plays like that, which are subtle and hidden from view, have no place in hockey, in my mind.

48. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Leafs win the Cup!! Leafs win the Cup!!!!

49. who says:

I know this blog has no use for Alzner but he can’t be any worse than Benn and Oulette. Can he?

50. Material Elvis says:

Professor Q:

I saw that differently. He body checked Matthews cleanly. Matthews went down hard and Ouellet’s momentum caused him to land on Matthews. I didn’t see any cross check to the head.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice: Garrison, yikes – can you believe it’s come to this.

He’s an injury replacement for Russell, the 7D.

I think he’s a serviceable 7D (8D if Sekera is included).

52. Material Elvis says:

Nailer Yakumoto:
    Leafs win the Cup!! Leafs win the Cup!!!!

They were not very impressive. The Habs dominated play for long stretches. Matthews is a game breaker and capitalized on his chances. For Montreal, Domi was very strong on offence. Mete and Petry played very well on defence. Montreal deserved to win that game.

53. Bank Shot says:

who: Yeah and the righty sets up on the right half wall. How will they ever score?
    Babcock must be an idiot!

54. who says:

I’m guessing Calgary is already missing Ferland.

55. Professor Q says:

Material Elvis: I saw that differently.He body checked Matthews cleanly.Matthews went down hard and Ouellet’s momentum caused him to land on Matthews.I didn’t see any cross check to the head.

Watch it again, then.

56. Wilde says:

(Brad Marchand just earned the 2nd double digit suspension on the season)

57. Wilde says:

Tim Heed is a late scratch for the Sharks.

58. Material Elvis says:

Professor Q: Watch it again, then.

No need to. The slow motion instant replay was sufficient. That was not a cross check, especially by NHL standards. A bit of ‘gamesmanship’ at best.

59. Professor Q says:

Wilde:
    (Brad Marchand just earned the 2nd double digit suspension on the season)

Technically it would be the third.

I also think Gudbranson should join them, too, after his early interference high hit on Dube tonight (and even punched Hamonic in the back of the head during their fight).

60. Professor Q says:

Material Elvis: No need to.The slow motion instant replay was sufficient.That was not a cross check, especially by NHL standards.A bit of ‘gamesmanship’ at best.

61. Material Elvis says:

Wilde:
    (Brad Marchand just earned the 2nd double digit suspension on the season)

Are you referring to the fight?

62. Material Elvis says:

Professor Q: Sure thing, bud. His stick just appeared there by magic and Matthews’ helmet rose off his head because it grew an aversion to his new hair product.

Maybe that’s a suspendable offense in your rec hockey league. In the NHL, that’s fuck all. Certainly an over-reaction, pal.

63. Professor Q says:

Material Elvis: Maybe that’s a suspendable offense in your rec hockey league.In the NHL, that’s fuck all.Certainly an over-reaction, pal.

Yes, going on the wishy-washy DOPS apparently tough on head hits, it’s a crap shoot on whether or not that is or is not a suspendable offence. It most definitely should be, and more consistently than it has been.

64. Wilde says:

Material Elvis: Are you referring to the fight?

Couple the time and place with the history and reputation of the player and we’re looking at an in-person hearing, IMO.

Professor Q:

I didn’t get to see the replay on that

65. Material Elvis says:

Just watched the Gudbranson highlights. Definitely looks like he makes initial contact to Dube’s head. Should be suspended but I don’t think he gets a Wilson. TW’s history landed him the 20. I’ll guess 3 games for Gudbranson. Poor Hamonic, though. He stepped up to take a tough fight and that punch that dropped him looked suspiciously like broken jaw territory.

66. Wilde says:

Material Elvis: He stepped up to take a tough fight and that punch that dropped him looked suspiciously like broken jaw territory.

His reaction was exactly like what it looks like when a guy knows something’s busted.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers: Any word if his preseason injury has flared up?

Safin is day to day with a lower body injury. Uncertain (but possible) if it’s related to the hip flexor.

68. Wilde says:

I wish Thornton wasn’t a serial nut-shanker and the Sharks weren’t in our division because they’re going to be so much fun to watch

69. Glovjuice says:

Clarkenstein:
    jtblack,

He’ll be the worst GM in the league until somebody hires Kevin Lowe.So, yes, Bergevin will stay the worst cause who TF would hire Lowe?

The Pronger get was crazy good and almost won a cup – plus Rolly AND others –
    / don’t be silly.

70. Material Elvis says:

Wilde: Yup, instigator was assessed in the last 10 minutes of a 7-0 game, and Eller didn’t want to fight him.

Not only did Eller not want to fight, he got beaten and bloodied, didn’t throw a punch in return, and got five minutes for fighting. Didn’t Nurse get suspended for beating up a Flame two years ago? I’ll guess two games for Marchand because double standard rule (scorers get less time than goons).

71. who says:

Bank Shot: I noticed that. Both of Marner and Matthews were on their strong sides on that PP which goes against what you would think is the optimal set up.

I’m not sure there is an optimal set up on the powerplay. It really depends on your personel and what they’re comfortable with.
    I find this notion, that everyone has to be on their off wing loading up for one timers, kind of restrictive.
    Good powerplays use lots of puck, AND PLAYER, movement to break down the penalty kill. You don’t get the player movement if each player has a predetermined spot they have to be in.

72. Wilde says:

Material Elvis: Not only did Eller not want to fight, he got beaten and bloodied, didn’t throw a punch in return, and got five minutes for fighting.Didn’t Nurse get suspended for beating up a Flame two years ago?I’ll guess two games for Marchand because double standard rule (scorers get less time than goons).

73. Professor Q says:

Wilde: They just talked about Wilson’s number of suspensions in his last 104 games or whatever in their assessment video today, and I imagine it’s straight across from him to Marchand on that point.

Oh, I’m sure he’ll get quite the tongue-lashing, too…

74. Wilde says:

Professor Q: Oh, I’m sure he’ll get quite the tongue-lashing, too…

Guess I’m stone alone on this one, I think it’ll be 10.

75. treevojo says:

Wilde: Guess I’m stone alone on this one, I think it’ll be 10.

Sounds like a bet.

I will take the under for a woodguy to Lowetide.

76. slopitch says:

Call me a bit old school but I don’t think Marchand deserves much extra. He got the instigator. Eller got 5 mins and deserved it a bit. Chirp a team up 7-0 and things happen. Reminds me of Nurse punching out that guy on the sharks a few years ago. I’m not huge on punishing a guy for winning a fight.

77. Pescador says:

Glovjuice: The Pronger get was crazy good and almost won a cup – plus Rolly AND others –
    / don’t be silly.

Don’t forget Spacek, Peca & my personal fav Samsonov.
    Lowe is not the boogey man people love to claim he is,
    honestly at this point your just making yourself look dull with the over the top shtick.
    And petty

78. Professor Q says:

Wilde: Guess I’m stone alone on this one, I think it’ll be 10.

He never licked Mark Stone (at least not during a televised game), though?

79. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

4 – 1 for Vancouver now. My oh my that highly rated Calgary defence is good.

80. Wilde says:

treevojo: Sounds like a bet.

I will take the under for a woodguy to Lowetide.

Where did you get the idea that I’m some degenerate gambler?

81. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Munny: I think I just damaged my sinuses.

I’m sorry Munny, I never intended to injure.

82. John Chambers says:

Hahaha, CALGARY sucks!!!

Bill Peters’ defensive strategy is a godsend. Watch the Hurricanes will win their div.

83. Rube Foster says:

Mr. Hunter,

… or may I call you Tommy.

Please put me down for a Smytty for the Oil – 94 and a McClelland for the Yak – 24.

Thank you Sir.

84. Cowboy says:

I will take 98 points and 16 for yak

85. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m not going to comment on the fight between Eller and Marchand because I stepped away from the TV when it happened, but I think the pendulum has maybe swung too far when a guy mocks the opposition bench after the seventh goal in a 7-0 rout and doesn’t expect there to be consequences.

86. Oil2Oilers says:

OriginalPouzar,

Thanks, I will be in Halifax next week, but it looks like there are no home games.

87. HT Joe says:

Professor Q:

If that happened to McDavid, I would be furious.

88. Pescador says:

slopitch:

yup,
    taunt a team after scoring at the end of a blowout,
    Seems like Junior league play to me,

89. €√¥£€^$ says:

jp: Based on Dellow’s article 5R PPs have been the best while 5L were the worst.

Maybe Dellow is on to something…..

FWIW here are the numbers I counted from the preseason games, I did this all by hand, so my numbers are likely not accurate. Also, I couldn’t find the data from the Kolner game this morning, but I included the PP goal and attempts in my tallies.

1. Overall the preseason PP scored 10 goals on 21 opportunities.
    2. 7 of the 10 goals were scored by the 2nd unit, but 2 of these 7 goals were assisted by McDeity.
    3. Not counting this morning’s game PP1 generated 16 shots and allowed 8 shots against (I didn’t count the number of giveaways by PP1, but there were a shit ton).
    4. PP2 also generated 16 shots, but only allowed 1 against.
    *Note: I didn’t count individual shot data, as there actually wasn’t very much and didn’t see it as relevant.

Individual on ice results (keep in mind, some players played more games than others):

Name TOI G A
    Rattie 5:23 2 0
    Khaira 4:02 1 1
    Strome 6:54 0 1
    Lucic 9:34 2 0
    Draisaitl 11:42 0 2
    Yamamoto 9:34 1 2
    Bear 6:25 1 1
    Bouchard 4:07 0 2
    Klefbom 11:37 0 2
    Cagguila 5:44 0 3
    Nuge 11:35 0 0
    McDavid 12:00 1 3
    Puljujarvi 11:52 2 0

Benson is the only other player to get PP points, where he had an assist on Rattie’s goal vs “Calgary”

Benning only played significant PP minutes in 2 games (1:44 @ “Calgary” & 1:37 @ Winnipeg, where there were only 2 PP opportunities in each game).

90. Material Elvis says:

Pescador: yup,
    taunt a team after scoring at the end of a blowout,
    Seems like Junior league play to me,

I like what you did there.

91. Bank Shot says:

Hanifin didn’t look all that great. He appeared to have thinking problems.

Hopefully that persists over his career. 😛

92. JimmyV1965 says:

Just watched a replay of the fight. Eller clearly tried to throw two punches. He was a willing participant. I’m not sure what Marchand gets suspended for.

93. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Bank Shot:
    Hanifin didn’t look all that great. He appeared to have thinking problems.

Hopefully that persists over his career. 😛

94. Material Elvis says:

€√¥£€^$: Maybe Dellow is on to something…..

FWIW here are the numbers I counted from the preseason games, I did this all by hand, so my numbers are likely not accurate.Also, I couldn’t find the data from the Kolner game this morning, but I included the PP goal and attempts in my tallies.

1.Overall the preseason PP scored 10 goals on 21 opportunities.
    2.7 of the 10 goals were scored by the 2nd unit, but 2 of these 7 goals were assisted by McDeity.
    3.Not counting this morning’s game PP1 generated 16 shots and allowed 8 shots against (I didn’t count the number of giveaways by PP1, but there were a shit ton).
    4.PP2 also generated 16 shots, but only allowed 1 against.

NameTOIGA
    Rattie 5:232 0
    Khaira4:021 1
    Strome 6:540 1
    Lucic9:342 0
    Draisaitl11:420 2
    Yamamoto9:34 1 2
    Bear 6:251 1
    Bouchard 4:070 2
    Klefbom11:37 0 2
    Cagguila 5:44 0 3
    Nuge 11:35 0 0
    McDavid12:001 3
    Puljujarvi 11:52 2 0

Lots of variables in play with those preseason numbers but the one thing you hit on was the high number of turnovers. It’s like a quarterback sack for the power play. Seems to happen when they stop making quick passes and start handling it a bit too long.

I’m not a fan of the new PP1 all LH scheme. Get the best RH shots available (Bear, Bouchard, JP) and let CMD, RNH, and Draisaitl feed them. Balance the PP units and possibly double shift McDavid.

95. Material Elvis says:

JimmyV1965:

Yeah I watched it again just now. One rabbit punch and one swing that missed. Maybe Marchand doesn’t get suspended but it will be reviewed. Marchand was trying to fight an unwilling participant (even if Eller deserved it).

96. Bank Shot says:

Boil-in-the-Oil: I was a bit surprised to see him (Hanifin) back in the game after being literally dropped (uppercut) in a fight earlier (pretty sure it was Gudbranson). I kinda thought that this early in the season they would have kept him in the quiet room for the rest of the game… I think his head/mind was a bit scrambled.

Hamonic was in the fight. Hanifin was just throwing out bad passes, not punches.

97. MrDooman says:

Oilers 102 and Yak 18

98. OriginalPouzar says:

Adam Larsson is on the ice for practice this morning.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Fantastic lines out for practice this morning:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Rieder-Strome-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
    Caggiula-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Benning
    Russell-Bear
    Garrison-Bouchard

This is exactly how I would structure it except maybe I’d switch Khaira and Rieder.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

One thing to note about that lineup – if Russell is in (and activated from IR) then they need to re-assign someone – if not Yamamoto or Bear (both in the lineup), they’ll need to waive one of Caggulia, Chiasson, Garrison or assign Bouchard to London (which won’t happen yet).

101. OriginalPouzar says:

Wasn’t that Hamonic that got popped in the fight with Gudbranson?

102. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Fantastic lines out for practice this morning:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Rieder-Strome-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
    Caggiula-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Benning
    Russell-Bear
    Garrison-Bouchard

The more I look at it, the more I really like this lineup.

Say what we want about Russell and the contract, for the most part we agree that he is an NHL d-man and he’s finally slotted in the perfect spot for him, 3LD.

I’ve been adamant that Bear needs more AHL time based on how play last season, however, he has got better and better as camp has gone on and, given his offensive skill-set, I’m excited to see how he plays early in the season – his defensive coverage and reads have improved over last year and throughout camp – he’s ahead of Bouchard in those areas and his slapshot is a weapon.

Rattie continues to look like a player at 1RW – not just riding the coatails but contributing.

Rieder is in the bottom six where he can be effective.

Khaira is a plus plus 4th line winger.

Lets go Oilers!

103. Genjutsu says:

Scungilli Slushy:

No everything is for the leafs. Always.

Are you new?

104. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: May I ask where that information comes from?

It’s no one with an Oildrop on their paycheque but this guy knows a guy who knows a guy

105. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bank Shot: My evidence is Lars Eller scoring 18 points in 24 games. And Pelly scoring at a 23 goal pace in the playoffs (7 goals) after scoring 7 in the entire regular season.

Maybe the 30% PP.

There are lots of Dmen who rack up points, but whose teams scores less when they are on the ice.

Dmen who move the needle in terms of GF while maintaining (or improving) GA are the true “offensive” Dmen and not all of them get a lot of points.

106. €√¥£€^$ says:

Material Elvis: Lots of variables in play with those preseason numbers but the one thing you hit on was the high number of turnovers.It’s like a quarterback sack for the power play.Seems to happen when they stop making quick passes and start handling it a bit too long.

I’m not a fan of the new PP1 all LH scheme.Get the best RH shots available (Bear, Bouchard, JP) and let CMD, RNH, and Draisaitl feed them.Balance the PP units and possibly double shift McDavid.

Yes, lots of variables, but the take away (in my mind) is that the PP1, which appears to be a bad idea based on handedness is in fact a bad idea, despite the talent. Clearly the PP1 got the most opportunities and simply wasn’t as good as the less-skilled group. There needs to actually be some form of balance.

In my mind Drai should run PP2, he defers too much to McDavid. RNH was once a PP demi-god on the right half wall, but in this alignment he is not being put into a position to succeed.

107. €√¥£€^$ says:

I would run it like this:

8 – 27 – 97 – 93

98 – 16 – 29 – 56
    74/75

For The Athletic: The 2018-19 season likely a period of transition for the Edmonton Oilers

109. OriginalPouzar says:

McLellan says the plan is to have Russell in the lineup on Saturday – good stuff – Russell should be a very serviceable 3LD.

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice piece as always.

Looks like Willis and Daniel Nugent Bowman are doing a live Q&A at noon today.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Using points to determine if a Dman contributes to the offence doesn’t give you great answers.

112. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Fantastic lines out for practice this morning:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Rieder-Strome-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
    Caggiula-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Benning
    Russell-Bear
    Garrison-Bouchard

Great news that the team is looking healthy to start. And agreed, happy with these lines.

113. jp says:

€√¥£€^$: Maybe Dellow is on to something…..

I was being a little sarcastic about Dellow’s article actually.

I agree fully with his conclusions, and it’s intuitive that having at least one off handed shooter is a good thing to keep the one timer option open.

But the data he showed to segue into his argument showed basically a graded increase in the efficiency of PPs the more right shots there were, with the only big jump being the improvement from 4R1L to 5R.

Then he proceeded to tell us that 5L PPs were the worst (marginally) because you need at least one off handed shooter. He discounted the 5R PP results because of small sample size, but didn’t show the reader how much smaller it was than the other sets of results.

It struck me odd to show a data set with progressively increasing effectiveness from 5L to 5R with each right shot added, then pick out the 5L results to focus on. Basically the argument didn’t clearly flow from the data IMO.

All that said, I do agree with his conclusion, as well as your points about balance across the two units (both handedness, and personnel) – the results would likely be better mixing things up some.

114. Jaxon says:

Quick Poll that nobody should really give a crap about but I’ll put it out there anyway. I’m playing with a new team this winter and I need to pick a sweater number. I play mostly D, but enjoy playing forward when I can.

Options I’m considering:
    #25 – Nurse – as you know from my posts re: his contract, I’m a big fan.

#74 – Bear – cheering for him, as you know from my recent post re: Honore Jaxon, I feel some connection to Metis and First Nations peoples.

#75 – Bouchard – the future, and hopefully franchise D

#71 – when I lived in Edmonton in the late nineties, I ran a men’s league team (AMHL), “Pilsner Old Style Hockey Club” and wore this number.

115. frjohnk says:

Jaxon: #71Pilsner

Ding ding

116. €√¥£€^$ says:

Jaxon,

117. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: I wouldn’t mind seeing some examples of these (high point producers that aren’t great offensive d-man and more marginal producers that are).

Will do.

Probably not today as I’m not near a desk top

118. Bank Shot says:

Yeah, but we aren’t talking about a guy like Vlasic or Tanev here. Guys making the great plays to get the puck going in the right direction, and shutting down the other team.

We are talking about Kempny who trailed the other 3 top four defencemen in the playoff run by about 3 minutes per game at ES. They were clearly leaning on three guys and Kempny wasn’t one of them.

To say Kempny’s play was driving the results of guys like Eller and Smith-Pelly would be an incorrect conclusion to draw.

One middling player doesn’t have that big of an effect on an entire team.

119. Ribs says:

Jaxon: #29 – Draisaitl – big fan, I have German background. Also, Brad McCrimmon’s number and my dad beat up his dad when he went to Notre Dame. I was a big McCrimmon fan growing up, especially when he played with Howe (as a kid from smalltown Saskatchewan, the Howes were sacrosanct). Also, I was a big proponent of +/- growing up as a defensive D and McCrimmon was a +/- god. Career +448 (#10 overall). I know, I know, plus/minus is a shitty stat, blah, blah, blah. It was the most advanced stat available in the eighties.

Longest paragraph for the win!

120. LMHF#1 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Fantastic lines out for practice this morning:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Rieder-Strome-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
    Caggiula-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Benning
    Russell-Bear
    Garrison-Bouchard

The 4th pairing is better than the 3rd. Also, the likelihood the Coach will shoehorn Caggiula in there as soon as he can is very, very high.

I’d also throw Lucic somewhere else but otherwise not too shabby.

121. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

OriginalPouzar,

Oops. Thanx for the correction.

« Older Comments