Anticipation. It is such a wonderful feeling, but stretched over many days that rush becomes strained, almost anticlimactic. I think we’re probably in that spot now, today.
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I’m really with you now
Or just chasin’ after some finer day
Is makin’ me late
Is keepin’ me waitin’
We’re just over 24 hours aways from the start of the Edmonton Oilers season, less than 12 hours from the beginning of the Bakersfield Condors 2018-19 kickoff game. For all intents and purposes, this weekend is the beginning of the season for Oilers fans. The NHL and AHL teams missed the postseason a year ago, hopes and prayers for better days ahead.
The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $3 a month!
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: After the death of his father, Sweden trip holds special significance for Adam Larsson, and one of his opponents.
- New Lowetide: Orange, white and blue October: In 1979, the Oilers rocked the NHL.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Why the Nuge-McDavid-Rattie line has been so successful.
- Lowetide: The 2018-19 Oilers are in a period of transition.
- Jonathan Willis: How worried should the Oilers be about the preseason struggles of Milan Lucic and Leon Draisaitl?
- Jonathan Willis: Oilers bet on Ty Rattie paying off and other lessons learned from training camp.
- Lowetide: A transaction flurry as Oilers finalize 2018-19 roster
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Leon’s time to shine. This is an amazing piece, exceptional.
- Lowetide: Oilers waive Aberg, release Jerabek and stand at 25.
- Lowetide: Oilers prospects Berglund, Maksimov off to fine starts
- Lowetide: Is this the year an Edmonton Oilers player wins the Calder Trophy?
OILERS LINES AND PAIRINGS
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid—Ty Rattie
- Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Kailer Yamamoto
- Jujhar Khaira—Ryan Strome—Jesse Puljujarvi
- Tobias Rieder—Kyle Brodziak—Zack Kassian
- Drake Caggiula—Alex Chiasson
- Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
- Darnell Nurse—Matt Benning
- Kris Russell—Evan Bouchard
- Jason Garrison—Ethan Bear
- Cam Talbot (Mikko Koskinen)
A couple of changes here, as Khaira moves to the third line and Bouchard replaces Bear on the third pairing. That is perhaps a clue in regard to the opening lineup but we’ll know in due time. Coach Todd McLellan gave an informative media avail (here) and his comments about Yamamoto and Puljujarvi are especially (in my opinion) telling. Lineups by Bob.
CONDORS STARTING ROSTER
Oilers legit prospects (Benson, Marody, Jones, Lagesson) should all play something close to a feature role all season. I’m not sure who will get the goalie starts, it’s going to be a difficult depth chart for the two new pro backstops to climb. My under the radar hopeful is Joe Gambardella, and Kevin Gravel outplayed a few defensemen during main camp in my opinion.
CONDORS NHL PRESEASON SCORING
- Tyler Benson 2, 0-3-3 (28:16)
- Patrick Russell 1, 2-0-2 (13:00)
- Kevin Gravel 2, 0-2-2 (34:12)
- Cooper Marody 3, 0-1-1 (36:09)
- Caleb Jones 1, 1-0-1 (20:21)
- Joe Gambardella 1, 0-1-1 (14:10)
- Brad Malone 2, 0-0-0 (22:03)
- Keegan Lowe 1, 0-0-0 (15:40)
- Josh Currie 1, 0-0-0 (16:01)
- Logan Day 1, 0-0-0 (20:18)
- Ryan Stanton 1, 0-0-0 (17:30)
- William Lagesson 1, 0-0-0 (15:19)
- Tyler Vesel 1, 0-0-0 (10:16)
- Cameron Hebig 1, 0-0-0 (9:46)
- Evan Polei 1, 0-0-0 (8:48)
AND NOW, THIS
Interesting article on Connor McDavid is here.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, we kickstart a turkey weekend with two hours of unpronounceable radio! TSN1260, scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Memories of opening day.
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman, The Athletic. We’ll discuss Daniel’s excellent piece on Adam Larsson and the team in general.
- Matthew Iwanyk, TSN1260. Eskimos in the heartland Monday afternoon.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.