Game Four 2018-19: Oilers at Jets

Let’s agree about this: There will be many games this season, especially on the road, where the Edmonton Oilers will need Cam Talbot to go all Dominik Hasek on the opponent’s ass. McDavid scores twice, something goes in off someone’s ass for the third goal, Talbot stops 55 shots and Edmonton wins in overtime. Let’s also agree tonight is such a night.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $3 a month!

• New Lowetide: Math offers a surprising option for Leon Draisaitl’s struggling No. 2 line
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Patience preached as Jesse Puljujarvi attempts to carve out his spot in the Oilers lineup.
  • New Corey Pronman: Around the farm. Prospects having early success (Oilers item).
  • New Lowetide: Oilers should make a waiver claim on Marko Dano.
  • New Lowetide: College and AHL prospect update.
  • New Lowetide: Panic storm on the horizon as Oilers remain a one-man show
  • New Justin Bourne: How hockey has changed for the better and allowed its young stars to shine.
  • Lowetide: Joel Persson’s early season performance in the SHL.
  • Lowetide: Practice lines in Boston, anger in Edmonton and Kailer Yamamoto remains on the No. 2 line.
  • Jonathan Willis: At 34, is Kyle Brodziak just too old to help the Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Why Todd McLellan’s name keeps showing up on those ‘first coach fired in 2018-19’ lists

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 20150-4-0, goal differential -8
  • Oilers in October 2016: 3-1-0, goal differential +2
  • Oilers in October 2017: 1-3-0, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in October 2018: 1-2-0, goal differential -5

It’s funny how quickly these teams are separating from the 2016-17 playoff team. Bill James used to say the first 10 games dictated what kind of team you’ll be staring at all summer. My all-time favourite baseball team, the 1987 Montreal Expos, lost its first five games, went 4-6 in the first 10 and went 87-65 afterward. The Oilers would kill for 4-6-0 after 10 based on strength of schedule. Pretty sure.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OCTOBER

• On the road to: Sweden to play NJD (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Boston, NYR, Winnipeg (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Boston, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Washington (Expected 1-3-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Nashville, Chicago (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 3-6-2, 8 points in 11 games
  • Current results: 1-2-0, 2 points after three games

It’s important to be realistic about this team. I’ve seen some comments like “if they can beat Winnipeg, they’ll be rolling” and that isn’t how this month is going to work. If they beat Winnipeg it’ll be a massive win, setting the team up nicely for the first homestand of the campaign. Without being too much of a jerk about it, the four teams who will visit Edmonton starting later this week are all much better than the home team.

Edmonton hasn’t yet replaced Andrej Sekera, perhaps hoping (as I have been) that Matt Benning can hold back the water on the second pairing. We’re three games into the campaign but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out the team is looking for more help. Pittsburgh is added to the list of teams doing same.

Oscar Klefbom and Evan Bouchard can pass well, Darnell Nurse can transport. Adam Larsson, Kris Russell and Matt Benning defend, as does Jason Garrison (who also has a great shot). If the Oilers are going to make a move, it probably involves Matt Benning heading out (Larsson and Bouchard/Bear being the other RHD). I wouldn’t move Benning, not when his value is low. In fact, I wouldn’t move him full stop until Bouchard and or Ethan Bear have shown they can play well consistently in the NHL. We don’t know one damn thing about either man yet.

5-on-5 points per 60

1. Connor McDavid 3.43
  2. Darnell Nurse 1.97
  3. Milan Lucic 1.52
  4. Leon Draisaitl 1.42
  5. Ty Rattie 1.37
  6. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.27

That isn’t a lot of offense and not one spark squeezed without 97. It’s early but the problems of yesterday are still on the plate. Edmonton badly needs to make something happen, to have a breakout game that includes all four lines and a defenseman not named Darnell Nurse. The list above after three games (and three 5-on-5 goals) looks a lot like 2017, when the team scored four goals in the discipline over the first three games. Here’s last season’s numbers after three games:

1. Connor McDavid 3.54
  2. Patrick Maroon 2.58
  3. Leon Draisaitl 2.57
  4. Zack Kassian 1.52
  5. Milan Lucic 1.47
  6. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.47
  7. Kris Russell 1.44
  8. Darnell Nurse 1.25

It’s a razor thin difference (one goal) and you might think that’s reason to remain calm. However, the Oilers one year ago were in the ditch after three games and the offense this year is about the same. That isn’t progress.

JETS VERSUS OILERS

This game favours Winnipeg but there are some interesting stats to look at heading into the game. At 5-on-5, the Jets are 6-8 in goal differential after five games, Edmonton 3-5 after three contests. It isn’t an advantage but one would expect Winnipeg to be well clear of the Oilers in this area. The other truly weird stat is about the penalty kill: Edmonton has been shorthanded for 10:31 over three games, probably because the opposition scores so quickly (three goals). Winnipeg has been shorthanded for 39:25, also allowing three goals, but shorthanded for damn near eight minutes a night. Unusually high.

MCLELLAN AVAIL

Todd McLellan gave a fairly detailed state of the union media avail yesterday, it ran close to seven minutes and in modern times that’s a double album. He seemed more upbeat the previous days (wins will do that for a coach) and had some interesting comments about Jesse Puljujarvi. Daniel Nugent-Bowman’s piece has the money quote (asked by Daniel) plus input from JP and Ryan Strome. A worthy read. Corsica.hockey gives us line numbers, here are the top four lines so far this season (all numbers 5-on-5, small sample alert):

• Nuge-McDavid-Rattie: 38 minutes, 46 percent Corsi for, 2-0 goals
  • Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto: 29 minutes, 37 percent Corsi for, 0-2 goals
  • Caggiula-Strome-Puljujarvi: 15 minutes, 50 percent Corsi for, 0-0 goals
  • Khaira-Brodziak-Rieder: 7 minutes, 55 percent Corsi for, 0-0 goals

A quick note: I am posting these numbers secure in the knowledge we all understand it’s very early days. You can’t make a sweeping claim about any individual player based on these numbers and honestly even the line combinations are just getting started.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, wide range of guests. Scheduled to appear beginning at 10, TSN1260:

• Simon Boisvert, Prospect Insider. We’ll chat about Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamoto and Evan Bouchard, plus the kids in Bakersfield.
  • Eric Fawcett, Press Basketball. NBA gets rolling tonight, we’ll talk Raptors and expectations.
  • Jason Strudwick, Oilers Alumni. L’il Oilers program is underway, we’ll chat about it at 11:20.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

646 Responses to "Game Four 2018-19: Oilers at Jets"

« Older Comments
  1. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy v2.0,

4-83 would be a disastrous pairing imo. The big boys in the western conference would cycle at will.

2. BONE207 says:

treevojo: I don’t post that frequently.

But it is one of my daily routines to read all comments.

I wonder how many others there are out there like me.

Treevo…I would share your indulgence. Somethings can’t be missed

3. Bling says:

I didn’t get to watch the game tonight, but my goodness McDavid. The guy is completely ridiculous. Human highlight reel. What Shaq once said of Vince Carter applies equally to McDavid: he’s half man, half amazing.

Rattie deserves a ton of credit for his goal. What a snipe.

JP with 16 minutes of even strength ice AND a goal. McLellan with some positive comments in the post game, saying that he was good in New York and good again tonight. I really do think the org wants to see him succeed. The little hesitation before the pass on that goal was an elite play by RNH. When Nuge is on he is wily, greasy, slippery, sneaky and tricky. Like Michael Douglas in Wall Street! Beautiful play by both those guys.

Russell. I have criticized this guy a lot, but boy is he bringing it this season. He is retrieving pucks like a mad man and moving it north with purpose. Not too many Russell resets this year. Good job Kris!!!

4. Bling says:

CrazyCoach,

I don’t think OP was crapping on your post.

McDavid went Gandalf, we all agree on that. OP is just saying the Hobbits, Men, and Elves deserve some credit, too.

Keep posting!

5. OmJo says:

treevojo: I don’t post that frequently.

But it is one of my daily routines to read all comments.

I wonder how many others there are out there like me.

I fall in that category.

Not even close to being as hockey smart as everybody here so I usually just shut up and listen. You can learn a lot doing that.

6. Kraz says:

First time listening to a full game on the radio but after watching some highlights I realize I had no idea what was actually going on. Most of the game was Bob and Jack just talking with the occasional fill in on what was happening on the ice.

7. Abbeef says:

Not a fair comparison when it was clearly a horrendous call.

8. razor says:

I’d say recall Gravel and send down Garrison. Bouchard plays RD with Gravel on third pair.

OriginalPouzar:
    Who plays the left side on the 3rd pairing next game, Bouchard or Benning?

I can’t believe that is actually an issue right now.

We can’t move Russell off that 2nd pairing after the way he’s played the last two games.

9. JimmyV1965 says:

oilersfan:
    I believe toronto has played 7 games, 2 against teams that made the playoffs last year and five against teams that didn’t.

I would expect their record and goals for to decline substantially as the season wears on and they play better teams.

New Jersey may be the best team in the nhl now and based on last season Boston was top 8 and Winnipeg top 4 so the oilers are actually off to a decent start.

New Jersey beat Washington 7-0 and Dallas 3-0. Not sure how they are doing it but they are dominating

Hockey is a very funny game. I was very upset when the Oil lost to the Devils the first game because I think their roster is very meh. But I’ve watched three of their first four games and they are the best team I’ve seen so far this season. They play with amazing pace and aggression. On the other hand, I’ve watched four of the Ducks games and they were one of the worst teams I’ve seen and they were unbeaten for awhile. For the record, the Ducks played very well their last game.

10. Abbeef says:

Couple observations

McDavid = wow
    Nurse looked good, more controlled.
    Best game I remember seeing Lucic play in the last year. Who knew he could skate like that?
    Loved seeing PJ and Caggiula get rewarded for their play.
    Caggiula has been good in his 3 games.

Garrison and Benning were a tire fire in the first and could have easily cost them the game.

I’d like to see Gravel and Benning play 3rd pairing, send Bouchard down, and let Garrison sit. If injury occurs call up Bear or Jones.

11. Psyche says:

treevojo: I don’t post that frequently.

But it is one of my daily routines to read all comments.

I wonder how many others there are out there like me.

I’ve been here to read the comments everyday for over a decade.
    I don’t post much. My communication style is more suitable face-to-face.

Also, for LT, please have Jason Strudwick on your TSN show more often as guest. You two have terrific chemistry on air.

12. GMB3 says:

Ehlers with a horrible defensive effort on the game winner. Thank jebus

13. GMB3 says:

Kraz:

Likewise, they are horrible. First game I’ve listened to on 630 chef in over a decade and it was really, really bad

14. €√¥£€^$ says:

Dustylegnd:
    Chelios is a Dinosaur,

Go to bed, your life will be better

Sage advice, normally, lol.

I am glad it was worth your while to stay up too late and without your awesome lady! Hopefully she was able to watch it as well!

15. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: 1:56

Thank you. Benning sure looked a lot better in the 3rd playing alongside Nurse.

16. €√¥£€^$ says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    Lucic’ best shift in 9 month?

I thought he had a very strong game. Looks good with Strome & Yamamoto.

17. €√¥£€^$ says:

OmJo: Literally nobody on this team has done anything without McDavid not only being on the ice but contributing to the goal.

Rattie isn’t the problem. He’s looked good and does what he’s supposed to do out there – the scoring will come. Maybe.

Agree 100%, even when losing Rattie is a good fit on McDavid’s line. He is a better player than last year.

18. hags9k says:

Huge win, something to build off for this squad.

What a play by Nuge on the tying goal. JP is not afraid to go hard to the paint and pay a price, we have seen it before, tonight he got rewarded. Very Smyttiesque, he would be my “net front” guy on PP1 if I was TMac.

19. Pescador says:

OmJo: I fall in that category.

I try to read all comments everyday but not always possible.
    I’ll admit to blasting through some posters as I know its mostly negative horseshit, or some voices on the site are always talking non stop, I skip that as well gets old.
    I post quite a bit, dick & fart jokes are my specialty.
    I have a lot to offer

20. drglen says:

listening on the radio, jack michaels was clearly more excited when calling Drei as soon as JP was put on line. I hope Drake is OK. Do we even have a 4th line?

21. workaroundaccount says:

Connor will not let failure be an option. Hard to believe a guy over 2ppg isn’t leading the league right now. Hopefully the meat catches up to the leafs soon.

22. Diesel says:

Winnipeg Dave,

Love reading posts like this. Thanks!

23. bendelson says:

Kraz,

GMB3,

I don’t know exactly what Jack is doing on the radio… but I know it’s not the play-by-play.

24. Pescador says:

Glovjuice: Crazy coach, what level do you coach/did coach ? Seem whiny all the time.

OOOh!
    That’s some spicy curry

25. Pescador says:

drglen:
    listening on the radio, jack michaels was clearly more excited when calling Drei as soon as JP was put on line.I hope Drake is OK. Do we even have a 4th line?

Not sure, I saw Khaira dragging something around.
    looked heavy

26. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide should love being wrong. He thought 1-2-1 with three points would be enough. Nice 2-2-0 with 4 points record.

27. €√¥£€^$ says:

CrazyCoach: Hey, I never saw the game, but thanks for crapping on my post.

Back to not posting again.

What’s the point?

The point is your posts are excellent and I am sure many readers enjoy your viewpoint.

I am sure OP doesn’t mean to rain on your parade, he is simply super-supportive and enthused by this team.

I sincerely look forward to your next post! Cheers!

28. €√¥£€^$ says:

Winnipeg Dave,

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

Hope to see more posts from you in the future!

29. €√¥£€^$ says:

Abbeef:
    Couple observations

McDavid = wow
    Nurse looked good, more controlled.
    Best game I remember seeing Lucic play in the last year.Who knew he could skate like that?
    Loved seeing PJ and Caggiula get rewarded for their play.
    Caggiula has been good in his 3 games.

I’d like to see Gravel and Benning play 3rd pairing, send Bouchard down, and let Garrison sit.If injury occurs call up Bear or Jones.

I concur!

30. €√¥£€^$ says:

drglen:

What happened to Cagguila? I noticed Rieder on the line for a shift.or 2, but thought it was a line change situation.

31. housty17 says:

POST GAME COMMENTS

Everyone should enroll into Mcdavid Speed Class!

Defense

3 rd pairing had a rough nite
    Benning needs to watch a few upstairs
    Garrison looked slow and also made a few bad decisions

our second third pairing fared a little better but also got hemmed a few times.

i thought larson and klef i thought played better
    klef needs to keep the puck down and hit a net

noticeable offence
    whatever line mcdavid played was allstar
    draisatl the sleeping giant is still sleeping
    but a couple of wiffs of mcdavid and new line mates woke him up abit, he still has not arrived yet.
    PJ and Cags were pushing with energy and they got promoted to drai’s line. both liked the game but get caved in own end a few times.
    I thought the orignal third line with Strome played Okay. Strome i feel is going good and that reflected with whmever he played with.
    Yammer and Lucic actually played better away from drai
    both touched the puck more in the third than they did all game with drai

not so noticeable
    Khaira and reider were not creating as much as usual get hemmed a few times on fourth line
    i feelthis is more reflective of brodziaks very slow start, playing with the third pairing dman and theline matching the jets did

Sit out
    Pressbox kit for Brodziak, and Benning

Drais is not driving a line yet nor making his team mates better around him. He is mistaking alot. I hope his game comes round soon.
    PJ you can tell realy like playing with the big boys. He had zip
    Happy with rattie’s complimentary game to any line

next game I would play these lines again
    MC Nuge Rattie
    Drais PJ Cags
    Strome Lucic Yammer
    Khaira Reider Chiasson

This gives 5 pairs of wingers for Mcdavid and the odd double shift for drai

I think I see a problem in PJ’s skating and why it is not as smooth. Too much toe on the blade? Watch when his blade hits the ice there is a lag in which his stride is altered. I would recall this myself that the contact of my front portion of the skate blade contacted the ice a lil bit before where my power zone was. I always felt like almost falling. When I shave the toe off more my stride was more smooth and complete wit no loss of power .

32. €√¥£€^$ says:

Beer League Hero is saying 2 sources are saying TMac is done… if is, I sure hope it’s Viverios as I said in yesterday’s post. Need a fresh take, not re-tread coaches. We have them in place to support the newbis, Gulutzan and Yawney had their shots.

33. drglen says:

€√¥£€^$,

He didn’t seem to play the end of the game and they said was not on the bench. He was thrown to the ice, resulting in a penalty, and they were worried he may have bumped his head, with a history of concussion symptoms. Maybe just a precaution.. he was playing well.

34. Side says:

The comment section today seemed to mirror the result of the game pretty well. Absolutely brutal for the first half, much better in the second.

Looking forward to some wins just so some of the over-the-top vitriol will die.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

CrazyCoach: Hey, I never saw the game, but thanks for crapping on my post.

Back to not posting again.

What’s the point?

You said you didn’t see the game but opined that McDavid singlehandedly won the game. As a person that did see the game, I thought I’d point out that there were other players that had sold plus games. It wasn’t crapping on your post, it was responding to your post.

If it came across as “crapping”, I apologize, not my intent.

– first goal was mostly McDavid but he was fed by a perfect pass from Drai who delayed through the neutral zone and him him in stride with perfect timing

– second goal, McDavid actually mishandled the puck and Rattie made a perfect shot – lazer under the bar

– third goal was a very nice PP pressure goal and McDavid buried one off a scramble afer Nuge hit the post with a great release

– fourth goal – nice pass from McDavid to Nuge down low but a better pass for Nuge in front to Puljujarvi who showed strength to get inside position in front of the net, stay there and deflect the pass home

Four points for McDavid but full credit to his teamates.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:
    Ehlers with a horrible defensive effort on the game winner. Thank jebus

I’m not quite sure what Ehler’s did can actually be construed as “effort”…..

37. Soup Fascist says:

OriginalPouzar: You said you didn’t see the game but opined that McDavid singlehandedly won the game.As a person that did see the game, I thought I’d point out that there were other players that had sold plus games. It wasn’t crapping on your post, it was responding to your post.

If it came across as “crapping”, I apologize, not my intent.

Four points for McDavid but full credit to his teamates.

38. Crazy Pedestrian says:

workaroundaccount:

I agree. But i still hope Matthews and Marner both get in the 80-100 point range and bow out in Round 2 of the playoffs specifically this season so the Leafs have to re-up them for $12M+ and $9M+ respectively, then blow their brains out on re-upping all their other RFA’s and feel the full fledged wrath of the cap!!! Then the Leafs drop down to mediocrity (just outside the playoffs) for the next 10 years….

MUAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

39. Professor Q says:

As an aside, Sheifele calling out the media debate of “Matthews being better than McDavid now” for being rubbish (in both the existence and integrity of the debate as well as the truthfulness of it) was pure gold. Always liked Scheifele.

40. BONE207 says:

Pescador: Not sure, I saw Khaira dragging something around.
    looked heavy

He’s a big boy. Maybe he can find some room in his beard.
    Where’s the fart joke?

41. deardylan says:

Woke up this morning to cup of vietnamese coffee and one of our players scoring a perfect “10” AKA The transcendent rating in Edmonton Journal’s Cult of Hockey. #BreakfastofChampions #EatYourOates

Tran·scend·ent

from the verb transcendere
    Latin- ‘climbing over,’

The Latin verb scandere means “to climb”, so transcend has the basic meaning of climbing so high that you cross some boundary.

A transcendent experience is one that takes you out of yourself and convinces you of a larger life or existence; in this sense, it means something close to “spiritual”.

That fake of the fake that faked everyone out except Rattie was transcendent of the transcender and I am still in a 🙂 trance…anyone else?

#transcedavid #whatisinRichmondHillWater #CanadianHercules #RattieIQ #BubbleBobble

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Soup Fascist: Watch Rattie’s goal again. As Mr McCurdy broke down in his blog that was a deliberate pass to Rattie and not a whiff. Bruce does a great job breaking it down and when you see the play from that perspective it is simply unbelievable- or to use Bruce’s word – transcendent.

At the same time, as amazing as that pass seems to be, full credit for Rattie for beating the goalie clean with a plus shot – a lazer under the bar.

43. Soup Fascist says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m starting to lean that way too now that I’ve seen it more times in slow motion.

Agreed. Fantastic shot. Rattie has been a scorer at every level prior to the NHL. I hope he can stick there. Doing some good things out there – just needs to be consistent and not a defensive liability.

44. slopitch says:

So 29 and 98 were good together? I need to be able to go back and delete posts 😉 more then happy to be wrong

Is Sekera gone all season? D looks so much better with 1 more top 4 d

45. Professor Q says:

slopitch:

Is Sekera gone all season? D looks so much better with 1 more top 4 d

Maybe McLellan could take your advice more often?

46. OriginalPouzar says:

slopitch:
    So 29 and 98 were good together? I need to be able to go back and delete posts more then happy to be wrong

Is Sekera gone all season? D looks so much better with 1 more top 4 d

There has been nothing official on Sekera but, from accounts, it was a tear, not a rupture, and he is expected back this year.

I would love 1 more top 4 D but using that LTIR cushion may not be a viable option.

Maybe that top 4D comes mid-season for free – maybe Sekera is a legit 2nd pairing d-man when he comes back?

« Older Comments