Game 10 2018-19: Oilers at Blackhawks

At this early point in the season, it’s necessary to reset expectations of the 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers. The problem with doing it? The odds of overrating this team in projecting them forward is large based on the most recent performances. I had them posting eight points in 11 October games, the team now has 11 points in nine October games. What are fans to do with these Oilers? May I suggest ‘enjoy the ride’?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Special offer is here, less than $3.50 a month!

• New Lowetide: Everything’s coming up Oilers as young AHL hopefuls in Bakersfield hammer Flames’ farmhands.
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi gets scratched, so what’s next for Edmonton’s lottery winger?
  • Tyler Dellow: Oilers treading water despite tough schedule, but still struggle to score without Connor McDavid.
  • Jonathan Willis: Connor McDavid finds another gear, but Oilers still lack scoring on the wing.
  • Cat Silverman: How Laurent Brossoit found his way back to NHL form.
  • Lowetide: Todd McLellan finds a suitable spot in the order for Milan Lucic.
  • Jonathan Willis: Four reasons why the Oilers should return Evan Bouchard to junior.
  • Lowetide: Drake Caggiula might be hearing footsteps as the Oilers look for offence to replace injured Ty Rattie.
  • Lowetide: Kirill Maksimov is tearing up the OHL, three Condors fly high.
  • Lowetide: Peter Chiarelli’s race against time.
  • Daniel Nugent-HopkinsAsking McDavid to take on Bergeron line at home shows what Oilers are missing.
  • New Daniel Nugent-Hopkins: Remembering Ron Chipperfield’s brief and hellish time as captain of the Edmonton Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Grant Fuhr talks about his journey, drug use and the state of goaltending.
  • Lowetide: Math offers a surprising option for Leon Draisaitl’s struggling No. 2 line

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Russell were solid, the memories of the Penguins game beginning to fade. Went 12-12 (7-10 without 97) Corsi for 5-on-5 in 10:31 together, 8-5 shots, 3-1 HDSC and no goals. Went 6-5 in 6:15 against Fiala-Turris-Smith, Nurse on the ice for a goal against that line while Larsson was also on the ice. I thought Russell did some good things with the puck in the offensive zone early, I think Yawney’s influence is beginning to show.
  • Klefbom-Larsson had an eventful day. Were 9-11 in 12:03, 7-5 shots and 1-1 goals. Went 5-9, (0-1 goals) against Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson. Klefbom went 4-2 in 2:28 with Benning (1-0 goals) and played fully half the game. I don’t know what that might mean for today’s game but Klefbom played well. Larsson got caught a little early on what turned into an Arvidsson breakaway and then took a face full of puck later but he hung in there and played well overall. Oscar Klefbom is one of the truly valuable players on this team. Larsson is as well, if you don’t believe me check every Oilers fan reaction after the big RHD was injured yesterday. Edmonton needs both healthy and effective in order to have success.
  • Garrison-Benning were solid, going 3-5 in 6:18, 2-0 shots and no goals. A nice, calm third pairing but you’d like the group to play a little more overall (Benning did play 2:28 with Klefbom and played well). The Garrison-Benning pair were 3-3 in 4:51 against Hartman-Sissons-Jarnkrok.
  • Mikko Koskinen stopped 24 of 27, .889. He made several spectacular saves in his Edmonton debut. At 5-on-5, he stopped 15 of 16, .938. I have to tell you he impressed the hell out of me.
  • NHL.com and NaturalStatTrick.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto were 16-10 in 9:28, 13-7 shots, 1-1 goals and 5-1 in HDSC. The McDavid goal was fantastic, outstanding pass through brilliant finish. They make it look so damned easy. It is not. Yamamoto is lagging a little, I think Rattie’s job is waiting for him when he’s ready. I do think the young undersized winger has earned his roster spot.  McDavid went 6-5 against Josi-Ellis, 10-6 against Ekholm-Subban.
  • Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson went 6-6 in 8:25, 4-2 shots and 1-0 goals. Rieder is an excellent complementary winger for Leon and Chiasson is playing well enough to stay this high on the depth chart (how long can he do it?). Leon is really pushing now, he has four goals in his most recent three games. Went 6-5 in 6:07 against Josi-Ellis, 2-2 against Ekholm-Subban. Leon’s step forward this week is a major item in the team’s success, don’t let anyone tell you different.
  • Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian were 2-5 in 6:34, 2-0 shots and no goals. Went 1-0 against Bitetto-Weber, Brodziak had 1:31 clean on the PK, Khaira 0-1 goals 4-on-5 in 2:37. Kassian took a late penalty that resulted in a power-play goal but it’s unclear if it was in fact a penalty.
  • Lucic-Strome-Caggiula went 3-9 in 6:40, 3-3 shots and 1-0 in goals. Lucic-Strome appear to be a productive (in possession) unit now, Caggiula’s two goals were his first points of the campaign. Line went 0-4 against Ekholm-Subban and 2-4 against Josi-Ellis.

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 2015: 3-7-0, six points; goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-1, 15 points; goal differential +9
  • Oilers in October 2017: 3-6-1, seven points; goal differential -11
  • Oilers in October 2018: 5-3-1, 11 points; goal differential -2

This year’s team is nicely clear of the two non-playoff teams (2016 and 2017). It’s fascinating to see just how much has been established by the morning of Game 10 in these seasons. The two playoff misses here are obvious by Game 10, as is the playoff team. I picked this year’s model for 90-94 points, the current pace would see the team finish with 100. I can’t tell you what to expect today. I don’t know this team. They are a stranger to me, but in a good way.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN OCTOBER

• On the road to: Sweden to play NJD (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Boston, NYR, Winnipeg (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • At home to: Boston, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Washington (Expected 1-3-0) (Actual 2-1-1)
  • On the road to: Nashville, Chicago (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 3-6-2, 8 points in 11 games
  • Current results: 5-3-1, 11 points after nine games

The Oilers are setting themselves up very well with this current heater (I think that’s the word) that has them 5-1-1 in the team’s last seven games. If Edmonton can win today, this year’s team will be within a whisper of the 2016 playoff Oilers. It is very important to remain patient, this team is not complete and is not balanced. There will be difficult times ahead.

ZACK KASSIAN

Elliotte Friedman’s hot stove highlights on HNIC included word that Zack Kassian has permission to seek a trade from the team. That is interesting. Kassian’s redemption story has been an impressive one, hope he finds an NHL home somewhere. I expect the emergence of Alex Chiasson has something to do with it. Don’t expect a lot in return, and the Oilers may have to retain some dollars on a handsome contract for Kassian.

I also expect we’ll see a few changes as the days go down. Jason Garrison is not as effective as Kevin Gravel, so that’s a move that can be made sooner than later. If Jesse Puljujarvi isn’t playing in Edmonton he should be in Bakersfield on the No. 1 line. For a team playing well, there are a few roster tweaks that should be coming.

TOP 20 PROSPECTS

I’m just getting started looking at the winter top 20 (it will appear at The Athletic again this year) and it is interesting to look back on last year’s rankings to see what has changed. I had Kailer Yamamoto No. 1, mostly because his offensive ability is more clear. Jesse Puljujarvi was No. 2 a year ago (he has now graduated) mostly because it wasn’t completely clear to me where his offense in the NHL was going to occur. If you look at his world junior highlights, JP often does a give and go with his center, who carries the puck into the zone, finds Puljujarvi in a promising scoring position, and Puljujarvi cashes from high-danger areas.

I’ve said all along that Puljujarvi is going to be a valuable NHL player, but the offense and how he creates it is something we have to see play out. I do think he will eventually get power-play time, and let’s remember he scored 10 a year ago at 5-on-5 (ranking him No. 5 on the team).

We might be dealing with an outscoring winger as opposed to a high-scoring winger. If he pops 20 a year and is a terror in possession, who is going to complain? Not me. Jesse has to play though, in Edmonton or in Bakersfield.

If they trade him for 10 cents on the dollar, I expect the future to be more ‘Miro Satan’ than ‘Nail Yakupov’ and my guess would be somewhere in the middle.

469 Responses to "Game 10 2018-19: Oilers at Blackhawks"

« Older Comments
  1. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar: Strome has been producing, can’t deny that and, while the team does need him to start chipping in, I think he’s been a solid part of the first 9 games.His line is consistently driving possession and it seems he is a center that helps make other players better (Puljujarvi, Lucic, Yamamoto, etc.).

He is key on the PK and defensively responsible.

Yes, he needs to chip in but I’m just fine with Ryan Strome as my team’s 3C.

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Oiler Goal Share after 10 games (6-3-1)

Even strength (5v5, 4v4, 3v3):

McDavid On Ice 8-5 (62%)
    McDavid Off Ice 9-13 (41%)
    Net EV -1

Special Teams (PP+shorties for – PK + shorties against):
    10-9
    Net ST +1

Empty Net Situations: 2-3
    Net EN -1

Net Goal Differential -1

Analysis: something that makes Kinger angry

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GMB3: He’s had some decent looks lately, and I wouldn’t say he has very offensively talented singers at this time

None of em can hit the high C eh?

4. hunter1909 says:

This is McDavid’s team.

He’s not going to let them lose another season, ever. Since he’s the best player in the NHL aged 20…

yikes.

5. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: None of em can hit the high C eh?

High C is over rated. Give me a singer that can face flying beer bottles.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM:
    Probably been discussed here, but: Laine has been demoted to the 4th line. Maybe we can swap JP for him? Or maybe Winnipeg isn’t looking to trade their lottery pick?

I believe I read yesterday that he has one even strength point this season.

7. hunter1909 says:

If I ran the Oilers I might send JP to the AHL.

He might take another 2 – 3 years before he breaks out. No point in rushing him.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: Drai goal was aginst NYI in OT

It sure was – I was at that game.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909:
    This is McDavid’s team.

yikes.

Duncan Keith, and the Hawks team defence and system, had his number tonight until the one play in OT.

Was it:

1) just one of those games where he was only the best player in the world a bit?
    2) injury?
    3) cumulative fatigue?

Likely (hopefully) a function of 1 and 3 and I think McLellan needs to try and work to get his minutes down.

10. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Aberg with 2 so far for ANA tonight

11. Woodguy v2.0 says:

hunter1909: High C is over rated. Give me a singer that can face flying beer bottles.

“We have both kinds. Country and Western”

12. GMB3 says:

OP don’t watch the highlights from the Ducks game

13. Jethro Tull says:

€√¥£€^$: Maroon, not in OT

You are correct. However, that’s not the way I remember it, Marge.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers team has been full value for their points recently but tonight, they needed to rely on Talbot a little bit more – I won’t go as far as to say he stole it but I wouldn’t argue too hard against it.

Good teams some times have to rely on their goalies – they are part of the team.

Maybe, this team is actually good?

15. Bank Shot says:

Why did Lowetide choose that photo?

Is he a prophet?

16. Jethro Tull says:

Bank Shot:
    Why did Lowetide choose that photo?

Is he a prophet?

Well, he is smarter than the average bear.

17. Pescador says:

Bank Shot:
    Why did Lowetide choose that photo?

Is he a prophet?

Yes, yes he is

18. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Oiler Goal Share after 10 games (6-3-1)

Analysis: something that makes Kinger angry

That would you my friend

19. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar: It sure was – I was at that game.

Was an amazing OT goal. McD dragged Leddy from blueline to blueline.

was that in tooklyn or Nassau?

20. jp says:

GMB3:
    OP don’t watch the highlights from the Ducks game

Currently an identical stat line to Caggiula. Eerie.

6 2 0 2 -1 4

21. pts2pndr says:

leadfarmer: I like how things are going badly it’s all TMac and when it’s going well it’s the assistants.
    Just an amusing observation

How well did they go last year? Don’t remember too many people amused last year! Just saying new assistants, a better system and confidence of the team building! Results (small sample size) but quite positive!

22. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0: “We have both kinds. Country and Western”

Speaking of which,
    Am I the only one who knows about the HBO series
    Mike Judge presents :’Tales from the tour Bus’. And how fuckin sweet it was?
    I’m no country fan neither!
    Truth be told those old timey artists & songs brought back all kinds of sweet memories of visiting my grandparents farm on the south Saskatchewan river back in the 80’s when I was a kid.
    The episode about Jerry Lee Lewis is my favorite

23. €√¥£€^$ says:

Jethro Tull: You are correct. However, that’s not the way I remember it, Marge.

Oh Homie 😀😀

24. dustrock says:

Bank Shot:
    Why did Lowetide choose that photo?

Is he a prophet?

He’s old enough and has all the stories, but no long beard. Have to dig deeper.

25. €√¥£€^$ says:

Pescador: Speaking of which,
    Am I the only one who knows about the HBO series
    Mike Judge presents :’Tales from the tour Bus’. And how fuckin sweet it was?
    I’m no country fan neither!
    The episode about Jerry Lee Lewis is my favorite

Jerry Lee Lewis, you mean the fella who married his 13 year old cousin?

Great Balls of Fire Batman!

And here I didn’t take the Bombers vs Riders game seriously as the Banjo Bowl……

26. ArmchairGM says:

SJ wins 4-3. Our reign at the top was short, but sweet.

27. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Last night Shane Starret stopped 52 shots in a 2-1 OTL for Wichita.

28. slopitch says:

Man … The highs (today) and the lows (the opener). The oilers look great of late. How good do they have to play the next 20-40 games to consider buying at the btw now and the deadline to address their 2-3 holes?

I think they need to give JP 20 games in the AHL. With a couple decent options/depth on wings I think they can afford to and should play the long term. Bouchard should go to the OHL. I think the play is to plan to go for it in 2020. But this start is exceptional.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

So, the Pontus Aberg goal tonight was decent:

30. Dustylegnd says:

digger50: I

I think you answer your own question. He can be an effective NHL player. Okay, then why isn’t he?

We now have an answer why he was unmotivated: he wants out. Question is, how did this come about.

So we can say “look in the mirror” and walk away, or we can ask what went wrong here and see if was preventable. Something went sideways with Kassian. He stopped playing well some time ago. Another poster mentionedwhat I also believe – Kassian watched rookie after rookie try out for the top lines while he kept fourth line and the bench warm. But what do I know?

Anyway, it’s much too simple to just say his play sucked and send him out the door – to see him effective somewhere else. This has been a revolving door. As I said earlier, is Puljujarvi next?

Kassian has been traded 3 times previously and he definitely is dealing with demons, I appreciate that. I however see nothing in his play over the last 13 months to suggest he should be deployed higher up the line up…..Kassian needs to be honest with himself here….

The fatal flaw I see in organizations with little depth is this: every time a bottom 6 player has some scoring success, management tries to plug holes higher up in the lineup with the bottom 6 player…..said bottom 6 player fails playing further up the line up, loses his mojo and is sent back down to the bottom 6 and flounders for a while Caggs is the most recent example….Petry and Shultz are the most glaring examples of Defensemen asked to do things they were not capable of doing…

Please note I am not saying “Kassians play has sucked send him out the door”, the reality is he has asked for the door to be opened so he can walk through it to another organization….remember Kassian was close to using up all his chances prior to being picked up off the recycling heap by the Oil….he got sober, played better and all seemed well

Kassian was compensated handsomely for a strong playoff in 2017 did not produce last year, was demoted in the lineup because of poor production and now he wants out

If a player does not want to be on, or in your program, what are the probabilities of that player being a useful and key cog within your program??? In the new NHL Kassian is a replacement level player…subtracting his Salary is a net win if he wants out

31. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:
    OP don’t watch the highlights from the Ducks game

Ya, I saw the one beauty…. I know he’s got two.

32. Richard Roma says:

Speaking of enigmatic Finns…. How about that kid Jokiharju?

Drafted 29th overall in 2017, he’s averaging 21 minutes a game as a rookie and has seven points in 12 games.

He even shoot right.

Those dastardly Hawks. How’d you like to trade Puljujarvi and Yamamoto for Debrincat and Jokiharju?

It’s not fair when other teams are so much smarter.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: Was an amazing OT goal. McD dragged Leddy from blueline to blueline.

was that intooklyn or Nassau?

Brooklyn at the Barclay’s center.

Went to one of my wife’s bucket list vegan restaurants before – was amazing – was a very good night (except the POURING rain).

34. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I noticed that, impressive effort. Skinner had a nice first start in Bakersfield too. But do you know what’s up with Montoya? I noticed some other dude was backing Skinner up. Is Montoya injured?

Not injured – didn’t play for “personal reasons”, apparently.

35. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Not injured – didn’t play for “personal reasons”, apparently.

New baby related maybe. Figured you’d likely know, thanks.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

slopitch:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, even if they are in the position to “buy”, the are unlikely to have enough cap space to rent a material player.

As we know, the cap hit of a team is determined on a daily basis and, generally, any amount a team is under the cap daily (pro rated) accumulates and can be banked for later use. This is why if a team has, lets say, $1M of cap space every day through the season, they’d be able to acquire an apx.$5M player at the deadline.

The Oilers have placed Sekera on LTIR and, when you do so, you get an adjusted accrual cap limit which, for the Oilers this year, is essentially right at the cap (so no real change). Anyways, the Oilers are currently using their LTIR cushion – only about $800K of the close to $5.5M, however, they are over their adjusted accruable limit and are banking no cap space on a daily basis.

When Rattie is activated and someone comes off the active roster (and we lose their cap hit in the AHL), we will likely get close to under but we’ll be right at the limit and accruing very little if any cap space.

I don’t see them accumulating any cap space throughout the year to use at the deadline.

If Sekera remains on LTIR then they will have the rest of the LTIR cushion, however, from most accounts, he will be activated and that cushion will disappear immediately.

VOR: I know there is a wide spread believe that practice makes perfect. That more minutes equals better development. And that consistent deployment and minutes equals the best root to development.

I will try to say it again – each player follows a unique path to elite performance. Thus each needs a unique development plan.

Additionally, bad practice leads to bad performance. Bad performance becomes habitual. From time to time a coach has no choice but to interrupt this cycle by removing the player from the performance environment. This allows a focus on practising the right things in the right way.

The OIlers haven’t practiced since Puljujarvi was benched. Their last real practice was the day before the game Puljujarvi was benched versus Washington. So he skates the optionals, and does extra work with the coaches with the other pressbox players after the optionals (to get the cardio work in from missing games). And this I guess is supposed to “fix” him. I doubt there were even optionals on Saturday and Sunday. So it was probably only the bike.

38. Dustylegnd says:

The things that McDavid, Stamkos and Tavares do in the off season…the laser focus these players bring to the game every night……the ability to execute exactly as the coach would like them to execute….excellence in nutrition an fitness and the ability to listen and execute orders

Why does a 6’3″ man child not have a better release when strength is a massive contributor to puck velocity??

Why does Puljujarvi continue to make the same system mistakes over and over thus frustrating the coaching staff

Why does it appear Puljujarvi is so difficult to play with as a line mate….watching the games he is rarely where I would expect him to be

What ever the Oil have done to this point with his development is not working…..perhaps the AHL for 3 months playing on the same line with mostly the same guys is what he needs……at least it is different than the current insanity

39. tcho says:

The narrative that the Oilers somehow got lucky to get a point out of this one, seems an odd one to me. By eye, both sides were kind of sloppy and had their chances. The stats, seem to back that up too. As I listed above, Corsica has xGF favouring the Oilers slightly. Naturalstattrick has shots favouring the Hawks, but scoring chances almost even (53%/47% Hawks/Oilers), and HDC favouring the Oilers 7 to 4.

40. Pescador says:

€√¥£€^$: Jerry Lee Lewis, you mean the fella who married his 13 year old cousin?

Great Balls of Fire Batman!

And here I didn’t take the Bombers vs Riders game seriously as the Banjo Bowl……

Sure, if you’re the type of person who watches a 30 minute humorous, wildly entertaining, Rockumentary about the greatest Rock n’ Roll entertainer to ever live and can only fixate on that aspect of it.
    By all means, Fill yer boots Rusty

41. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar:
    So, the Pontus Aberg goal tonight was decent:

Hey he could help our AHL squad,
    too bad nobody’s ever mentioned it.
    You were right OP!

42. digger50 says:

Dustylegnd: I didn’t ask any questions, I stated that he can still be an effective NHL player, IMO he hasn’t put in the kind of effort and play required to be effective in the new NHL.

If a player does not want to be on, or in your program, what are the probabilities of that player being a useful and key cog within your program???In the new NHL Kassian is a replacement level player…subtracting his Salary is a net win if he wants out

I think we are on two different paths here.

You are describing the present state of “What is” meaning factually what we can observe to have taken place.

I’m speaking about “why is this so” wondering about the underlying causes that drove this state.

All clubs miss on a few talents, but Oilers seem very good at it. Perhaps if they kept talent, let it develop, coach and nurture, then the players would grow into higher spots in the line up.

Aberg seems another example. Something affected him last year. To me it was obvious from opening day of camp that he didn’t have a shot here. You could argue chicken or the egg with a few of these players mentioned.

“he’s playing poorly so he doesn’t have a chance” or “ he doesn’t have a chance so he’s playing poorly”

One thing to agree on in Kassian situation, It looks like a o win situation now.

43. Someone says:

tcho:

Definitely the kind of game that the first team to blink loses. Both took teams took turns dictating the play, with good tending at both ends. By eye I thought the hawks were slightly better, but it’s not like we had no business picking up the W.

44. who says:

Pescador: Speaking of which,
    Am I the only one who knows about the HBO series
    Mike Judge presents :’Tales from the tour Bus’. And how fuckin sweet it was?
    I’m no country fan neither!
    The episode about Jerry Lee Lewis is my favorite

I love those shows. Wish they’d make more. The George Jones one was pretty good.

45. OmJo says:

Richard Roma: Wasn’t trying to irk you.

I feel that it gives us perspective.

On the one hand, no one reasonable would select him #4 ov in hindsight, but most would still have him near their top ten.

It might not be what we would like, but that’s still a valuable player/asset.

As for the draft, sometimes that’s how it goes. No one selected in the top five in 2012 would have been picked there in a re-draft.

I know this conversation ended a hours ago (I was at work) but just wanted to clarify that you didn’t irk me, that wasn’t directed at you specifically.

If I could redo the draft, and Puljujarvi was still available at 4th, I would trade down to 14th and take McAvoy while keeping Hall.

Even today I don’t see anything wrong with taking JP at #4, and I would honestly do it again unless one of Laine or Matthews were available for some reason. What went wrong was expecting to him to fill even one of Hall\s shoes the following season. It doesn’t matter who we drafted otherwise if we gave them the same development path that we have given Puljujarvi… IMO.

46. who says:

tcho:

Looked like the Oilers were barely hanging on in the 2nd half of that game. They were hemmed in their own end a lot.

47. CrazyCoach says:

Richard Roma: Speaking of enigmatic Finns…. How about that kid Jokiharju?

He even shoot right.

I remember seeing that kid a few years back when I did a write up on Caleb Jones. I think he was a rookie then, but he had some skills.

48. VOR says:

Dustylegnd: Purposeful practice makes perfect, its not 10,000 hours of practice to become an “expert” as Gladwell suggested….it is purposeful practice….aka practicing things that are really really hard to do….like Piano Concerto No. 3 (Rachmaninoff) vs chop sticks

Purposeful Practice isn’t about what you do but rather how you do it. Selecting what to practice at the elite level is one of the many things that coach and athlete should work on together.

49. VOR says:

godot10: The OIlers haven’t practiced since Puljujarvi was benched.Their last real practice was the day before the game Puljujarvi was benched versus Washington.So he skates the optionals, and does extra work with the coaches with the other pressbox players after the optionals (to get the cardio work in from missing games).And this I guess is supposed to “fix” him. I doubt there were even optionals on Saturday and Sunday.So it was probably only the bike.

I am guessing you don’t like the Oilers management and coaches much.

There is nothing to suggest they are total idiots. They knew their practice schedule when they healthy scratched Jesse Puljujarvi. So why now?

The issue the Oilers seem to have identified in Jesse’s play isn’t one that can be fixed on the ice in team practice. This is why pro teams have video coaches. It is why they have team psychologists. It is why they employ people like me. One on one coaching is the correct approach in this case.

As for why now? Whoever they have working with Jesse was available now.

He is not just riding the bike.

50. Wilde says:

Yeah, send down Jesse if you can, and Marody if you’re showcasing Kassian.

What’s the latest on Rattie’s timeline?

I’d like to have the third line be Caggiula – Strome – Yamamoto when he comes back. I just skimmed the game-time comments, but I’m surprised nobody was on Lucic considering his status here usually. I have his name noted /nine/ times in my game notes and literally zero of them were good. That’s tough.

I checked Bruce’s game grades and he got a 4. Maybe it was just me, but I saw Caggiula the best on that line, then Strome, then six miles to Milan. I hated it because he was chipping in pretty well in his role until today. Hopefully it was an off game.

51. Wilde says:

Anyone else think Logan Day’s actually a pretty good distributor at 5-on-4?

I’m impressed considering his resume.

No one will be surprised that I’d wish he’d distribute more and shoot less there, but that’s my only gripe with the player. He’s good.

52. Wilde says:

Also Erik Brannstrom’s gonna be a star. Deuces.

53. hunter1909 says:

VOR: There is nothing to suggest they are total idiots.

There are several examples which contradict your assertion.

54. Wilde says:

Richard Roma:
    Speaking of enigmatic Finns…. How about that kid Jokiharju?
    He even shoot right.
    It’s not fair when other teams are so much smarter.

It’s okay, we’ll grab Mikko Kokkonen this year at #20.

(because apparently that’s where ~.5 p/gp Dmen playing in the SM-Liiga are ranked)

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:
    Yeah, send down Jesse if you can, and Marody if you’re showcasing Kassian.

What’s the latest on Rattie’s timeline?

His feet were moving pretty good still, to me eye.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:
    Anyone else think Logan Day’s actually a pretty good distributor at 5-on-4?

I’m impressed considering his resume.

I think he’s just on an AHL contract now but he’s working to earn himself an NHL 2-way deal for next year if he keeps it up.

57. Revolved says:

That felt distinctly like a game at the end of a winning streak, which we shouldn’t have won. Good start, glad we banked the points, but that third period did not look like the oilers of the last few games.

58. Revolved says:

If they do not send Jessie to Bakersfield, I hope they swap him with either Yamamoto or Chiasson next game.

59. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: I noticed Logan Day in camp and during the Condors games that I’ve seen – a plus puck mover.

I like that he makes plays. I think there’s more there if they adjust the way the Dmen play in the OZ, he’s a guy that like to step in all the way to the top of the circles and I think that’s optimal in the modern game.

He and Caleb Jones could both benefit well from a system that lets them make skating plays to the middle from the point and not just down the wall. Especially since 3 plays on the right side of the ice so much.

60. Wilde says:

Revolved:

It was an ugly one for sure. But it was also really nice to see Talbot can steal one, and there was a few sequences of the Yawney effect throughout the game, like when Russell made a stretch pass, then the F turned the puck over and he just made a second stretch pass after.

Revolved:

I’d say Yamamoto for sure. Jesse scored a goal with 97 in the WPG game, Yamamoto’s played well with Strome before, and the current 2nd line should probably be ridden until it breaks down because it’s the only one not to get caved so far.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Revolved:

3rd game in 4 nights, well, less than that given the afternoon games.

With the amount of minutes guys like Klef, Nurse and McDavid have played recently, I think they were pretty tired. 4th in 6 tomorrow against Minny – going to be a tough one.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Revolved:

I would like to try Kailer at 2RW again. It didn’t work earlier in the year but Drai is playing much better now and Rieder gives the line a different dynamic than Lucic on left wing.

63. slopitch says:

OriginalPouzar,

Ya I think they need to move one of Lucic, Kassian or Sekera first. But I don’t see why they are limited to one move 🙂

64. Bos8 says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m looking forward to Rattie coming back so that we can move Kailer and Chiasson down the lineup. Jesse could come in for Chiasson as well.

I would like to try Kailer at 2RW again.It didn’t work earlier in the year but Drai is playing much better now and Rieder gives the line a different dynamic than Lucic on left wing.

Disagree.
    It’s two, three games and everyone changes shorts. Mctinkering.

Chiasson has looked good, clears space for Drai, works the corners, plays an honest game. Give him an honest shot.

What’s wrong with sending Yama down for a block of 10, 15 games? The Woodcroft press would do him a world of good. We finally have a finishing school down there, run him through.

65. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, Lucic had a tough game with the puck – a few times he didn’t get the puck out of our zone and the play died with him quite a bit. He had cut most of that out of his game for the most part this year – hopefully it was just a blip – he wasn’t the only one having trouble with the puck yesterday – it was almost universal.

His feet were moving pretty good still, to me eye.

My guess is that a back to back affects a big plodding man like Lucic moreso than others.

66. russ99 says:

Richard Roma:
    Speaking of enigmatic Finns…. How about that kid Jokiharju?

He even shoot right.

It’s not fair when other teams are so much smarter.

The Hawks use their AHL affiliate correctly, we’re only starting to do that.

67. Bos8 says:

russ99: The Hawks use their AHL affiliate correctly, we’re only starting to do that.

Yep

68. VOR says:

hunter1909: There are several examples which contradict your assertion.

No there aren’t. There are several examples of them making decisions you and I and most of the posters here wouldn’t have made. Many of us told them not to do these things at the time.

69. Wilde says:

Neither of those players mentioned have played a game of American League hockey

« Older Comments