Game 17 2018-19: Avalanche at Oilers

This morning, the Edmonton Oilers are in a playoff position, No. 8 in the Western Conference. By the end of tonight’s games, the team could be anywhere from No. 3 in the Pacific Division to No. 11 in the conference. There are 65 games left in the season and already every game matters. If there’s a shortage of antacids in the Edmonton area, I’d suggest coaches and management should be listed among the suspects. Stress is good, pressure can be a good motivator. Seven straight months of both? There has to be an easier way to make a living.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Best available offer is here!

• New Lowetide: Oilers send Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to Bakersfield; recall Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers trade options: Dealing from strength is finally a possibility.
  • Lowetide: What happens to the Oilers when Alex Chiasson’s hot streak ends?
  • Jonathan Willis: Under the circumstances, playing in the AHL affords Jesse Puljujarvi the best chance at career redemption.
  • Lowetide: A new day dawning for Oilers prospects in Bakersfield as increased usage means greater success.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: In depth: Embattled Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli defends his record, remains bullish on the future.
  • Lowetide: Future Oilers bubbling under in Bakersfield may get a look sooner rather than later.
  • Lowetide: Oscar Klefbom takes a step forward for the Edmonton Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Forty years later, remembering the forgotten trade that brought Wayne Gretzky to Edmonton.
  • Lowetide: Oilers reach a pressure point on defence and right wing.

OILERS AFTER 17

• Oilers in October 20156-11-0, 12 points; goal differential -10
  • Oilers in October 2016: 9-7-1, 19 points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in October 2017: 6-9-2, 14 points; goal differential -13
  • Oilers in October 2018: 8-7-1, 17 points; goal differential -5

The 2018 team has been mirroring the playoff (2016) squad since early in the season and once again has an opportunity to equal Todd McLellan’s best start on the Canadian prairies. This week offers challenge and opportunity for a team with eight wins but a goal differential in the red.

OILERS IN NOVEMBER

• Oilers in November 2015: 2-4-0, four points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-3-1, five points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in November 2017: 3-3-0, six points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2018: 2-3-0, four points; goal differential -3

As is the case with the overall record, this year’s team has a chance to get close to the 2016 team and tie 2017’s Oilers for the best November record under McLellan. Edmonton is so close to playing a mountain of division games, a time when clearance is possible. Need to get that lineup humming.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER

• At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) Actual (1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Detroit, Washington, Tampa Bay, Florida  (Expected 2-2-0) (Actual 1-3-0)
  • At home to: Colorado, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Calgary (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Vegas (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Dallas, Los Angeles  (Expected 1-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 8-5-1, 17 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 2-3-0, 4 points in 5 games

It’s an usual schedule because there are so few games, but the three Edmonton will play before this time next week are important to the month. I spent a lot of time on predicting results for the next four games, settling on 2-2-0 but going back and forth on the actual wins. I have tonight as a loss for the Oilers.

RE GONE WILD

Back in the summer, I ran my RE series, and so far the ‘bottom-six forwards’ projections are high comedy. Here’s the list of my predictions and current totals in brackets:

• Connor McDavid 82, 50-70-120 1.46 (16, 10-13-23 1.44)
  • Leon Draisaitl 80, 25-43-68 0.85 (16, 10-7-17 1.06)
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 67, 26-41-67 1.00 (16, 3-14-17 1.06)
  • Kailer Yamamoto 44, 10-19-29 .66 (12, 1-1-2 .167)
  • Ty Rattie 51, 9-18-27 .53 (7, 1-2-3 .429)

The top group is close to correct, I think you can look at that group and claim something close to ‘in the range’ of expectation. Yamamoto hasn’t worked out but the season isn’t over. I did not include Alex Chiasson in the RE series. Let’s head for the second group:

• Ryan Strome 73, 15-20-35 .48 (16, 1-0-1 .063)
  • Jesse Puljujarvi 78, 18-18-36 .46 (11, 1-0-1 .091)
  • Milan Lucic 81, 14-20-34 .42 (16, 1-3-4 .250)
  • Tobias Rieder 80, 15-16-31 .39 (16, 0-7-7 .438)
  • Jujhar Khaira 62, 7-10-17 .27 (14, 0-4-4 .286)
  • Kyle Brodziak 75, 7-11-18 .24 (15, 2-0-2 .133)
  • Drake Caggiula 51, 5-6-11 .22 (12, 5-0-5 .417)
  • Zack Kassian 73, 7-8-15 .21 (13, 1-0-1 .076)
  • Cooper Marody 7, 0-1-1 .14 (2, 0-0-0 .000)

Drake Caggiula is making me look silly, his five goals on the season getting the utility man all kinds of minutes (I predicted the opposite). Tony Brar has an article on Caggiula at NHL.com, worth the read. I think Tobias Rieder and Jujhar Khaira are solid hits for the RE, but the rest of the group are not close to my predictions. You can blame the guy predicting these numbers or the players on the ice, but the main point is production from important parts of the roster is lagging badly.

All kinds of excitement about the Bakersfield Condors these days and with good reasons. Cooper Marody is scoring 1.43 points-per-game, Tyler Benson is over a point-per-game and the even-strength points are coming now. Cameron Hebig has six goals in 11 games, his five power-play goals leading the AHL. Patrick Russell and Joe Gambardella are solid two-way types who are showing well.

Caleb Jones and William Lagesson are both pushing in a big way, elevating their games and chances of seeing the NHL this season. Ethan Bear is back in the lineup and taking on more responsibility as he gets back to 100 percent.

A word of caution. Not all of these men will play 500 NHL games and some won’t play any at all. You can go back to any point in Oilers history and find groups of six or seven prospects who impressed for a time. It’s a long road, it’s a marathon, it’s a lot about staying healthy and thriving in new challenges.

It’s possible this Condors team develops a group like the 2011-12 Grand Rapids Griffins. Two quality NHL players (Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist) along with a defender who had several productive seasons (Brendan Smith) and some role players who hung around for a time (Joakim Andersson, Chris Conner, Andrej Nestrasil, Brian Lashoff). I honestly think that’s a better line in the sand than imagining all of these kids make it.

REMEMBRANCE DAY

I’ve been thinking a lot about my Dad lately, about his generation and the one before, and what they sacrificed for us. When I was young, he would tell me about the war, not so much the what of it, but the why of it. Personal anecdotes tended to involve bar fights and a gift exchange (he had a pair on binoculars he loved, was bringing them home but a British soldier begged him to trade it for a .303 British army rifle, and he did).

The most emotion he ever showed me about the war came when speaking about his brother Roy, who was killed in World War II. He would always say ‘never forget’ and ‘it’s up to you’ and ‘don’t let your guard down’ and that’s all good advice. Even today. Especially today.

This crazy old world has gotten itself into a whole bunch of trouble, dragging up some of the worst of our past, and deciding to embrace the things that divide us. Today, I will honor my father, the men who fought in the Great War and the big one that followed, and I will talk to my kids about the evils of embracing hatred for its own sake, about why we must never despise even one individual just because they are of a different race, creed or colour. We are all equal. All races, all creeds, all colours.

I will talk to my kids. They already know, I’m going to tell them again. It’s for my father, and his brother Roy, and those women and men who do the the impossible work of maintaining our freedom and way of life yesterday and today. They are the best of us. It’s Remembrance Day. Never forget.

451 Responses to "Game 17 2018-19: Avalanche at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The most annoying part of this game, for me, is Drai actually starting to skate in the third period, once placed with McDavid.

Selfish, petulance. Wrong guy to overpay and hope he grows into it.

2. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

I honestly think they have to keep him there.

3. wood99 says:

jp,

I don’t know who they pull out now that he can’t blame the young fellows since they were already sent down. Probably Garrison hahaha You know it won’t be one of his pets.

4. hags9k says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

Not the door back onto the ice I hope.

5. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

I go to one game per year. This year is in Philly Feb 2.

Gritty will eat my lunch if this keeps up.

6. wood99 says:

It’s going to be Koskinen that pulled out of the next game. He is playing to well and we can’t have TM buddy getting outshined.

7. McSorley33 says:

Are we still tired?

8. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

McSorley33,

Between the ears, yes.

9. Sierra says:

Disgusting effort. Coach Todd’s seat must be getting pretty hot.

10. who says:

The Oilers best players were bad tonight.
    Mcdavid, Drai and Nuge were all no shows. When that happens this is what we look like.
    Also, it would be nice to get a save once in a while.

11. drglen says:

Enough

Sorry todd you are fired.

Chia should go day later

Gutless pathetic team. At least kassian showed heart

Why wait. Clean house now

12. Paulie says:

Wilde,

Thanks. That’s promising

13. Réal Goudenyéu says:

“The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today”
    -Kevin Lowe, April 2013

Still waiting.

14. flyfish1168 says:

McSorley33:
    Are we still tired?

15. Pescador says:

I can’t decide which was worse, the goaltending or the defending
    They’ve fucked around just long enough to become a fragile team again
    Can’t wait for the constant ‘get scored on first and collapse’
    All the confidence they built up with the solid start is gone now.
    Always chasing the game is death in the NHL.

16. Dicky94 says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

Is that when Tambellini went out and got Jerred Smithson?

17. Fgary says:

Every single game I have to hear these homers talk about how milan lucic is in the top whatever for hits this season, and how he brings that toughness blah blah blah, I swear the msm are paid by the OEG. The worst,

18. Glovjuice says:

Fgary:

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddagain. Lucic does nothing for wins.

19. Glovjuice says:

Pescador:
    I can’t decide which was worse, the goaltending or the defending
    They’ve fucked around just long enough to become a fragile team again
    Can’t wait for the constant‘get scored on first and collapse’
    All the confidence they built up with the solid start is gone now.
    Always chasing the game is death in the NHL.

Coach is never ahead of the curve. Needed a lineup shuffle for Florida. Didn’t do it.

20. Zow says:

OriginalPouzar,

What’s the difference between this and putting them on the power play?

21. npanciroli says:

This team makes me ill.

22. jtblack says:

Fgary:

They constantly prraise his HITS and Russell’s BLOCKED SHOTS …hmmmm

23. Wilde says:

folks, if you’re not Oilers-exhausted tonight, I’ll direct you to a piece I published this morning –

The surface problem being investigated is that Connor McDavid’s 5v5 scoring is still not up to speed. I chop up the sample of his ice-time into the forward variations (Rattie, Caggiula, Yamamoto), identify where the shooting percentage dives and discover a problem not only in results but process. Then, I replicate the exercise with the defense pairings’ ice-time with Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and isolate another systemic issue that could potentially continue to plague their opportunities and suppress the 5v5 goal generation with 97 on the ice that this team leans on so heavily.

Also, I dip into an issue where this Oilers team has some hidden lost value: where other teams (and even Oilers teams of the past – including last year’s team) have their most deadly offensive minutes, this squad currently doesn’t – in a counterintuitive way.

24. digger50 says:

Bob Nicholson said there was a plan. And once fans understood the plan they would get on board.

Then the plan is never heard from or seen again.

25. OmJo says:

Wilde:

Also, I dip into an issue where this Oilers team has some hidden lost value: where other good teams (and even Oilers teams of the past – even last year’s team) have their most deadly offensive minutes, this squad currently doesn’t – in a counterintuitive way.

Bookmarked for tomorrow morning!

26. MrBung says:

This is just a poor roster. Chia has go to go.

27. OmJo says:

digger50:

Then the plan is never heard from or seen again.

Wait you mean this isn’t all part of The Plan™?

28. MrBung says:

digger50,

The “Plan” in actuality is just smoke and mirrors to hoodwink fans for another couple seasons and cover up the incompetence.

29. digger50 says:

OmJo: Wait you mean this isn’t all part of The Plan™?

I doubt we ever learn the plan. Rumour has it that Peter had it on a stick and the Jessie accidentally deleted it when he was trying to hand in his English homework.

30. jtblack says:

Wilde:

Good read. Interesting stuff. I think Nurse / Russell completely surpress the O as you point out

PC has gone into 2 straight seasons knowing one of his Top 4 D men is out Long term and both years he has done nothing. We shouldn’t be surprised we are here. THIS IS US

31. Pescador says:

jp:
    So Koskinen gets the start vs the Habs presumably.

Who comes out for Marody? Rattie? Chiasson? Strome?

I have no idea, but they can’t keep this lineup intact

Rattie just scored & played reasonably ok
    Strome is busy being our 4th line center.
    Chaisson could come out, should probably be Lucic

32. Pescador says:

digger50:

Then the plan is never heard from or seen again.

This is just Nicholson being a politician,
    It was his way of telling us that they are going to rebuild again 5.0
    They could tell us what the plan is but why bother, there is no way we would understand it.

33. Admiral Ackbar says:

Glad I didn’t watch this one given the comments. Sure I won’t watch th next. Guaranteed happiness.

34. bendelson says:

digger50:

Then the plan is never heard from or seen again.

Bob did release the plan. $18 burgers. That’s the plan.

35. Suntory Hanzo says:

bendelson,

He had to do that. To pay Lucic’s salary.

Call it the Penner penance. Tm

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

jtblack,

Sorry, fellas, it was Kurt’s turn. Though i did sound off a little bit in the podcast. Not an epic rant like Lowetide’s Soliloquy The Morning After The Buffalo Game, but a bit of a rant all the same.

37. Kraz says:

Wilde:

38. OriginalPouzar says:

OHL vs. Russia at 5 today – should be much more entertaining than that debacle last night.

Bouchard, Maksimov, Samorukov.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: Good read.Interesting stuff.I thinkNurse / Russell completely surpress the O as you point out

I think this is more Russell than Nurse (and the combo makes Nurse worse).

Last year, the Oilers had a 3.54GF/60 with McDavid and Nurse on the ice which was middle of the pack vis-a-vis McDavid and individual teamates. With that said, their GF% was over 70% as their GA/60 was 1.44.

The possession metrics for McDavid/Nurse were much better than McDavid/X.

Its likely the Kris Russell factor – and I’ve praised Russell for his work at 2RD for most of the year – he has fallen off massively over the last two weeks (as has Nurse).

40. Wilde says:

I think a ton of it is tactical, but Russell’s a veteran’s veteran and I’ve been waiting for Nurse to become more active on non-rush plays for… three years?

A lot of made of McLellan’s mishandling on Puljujarvi, but I think the fact that Nurse has had no other coach in his formative NHL years may have career-long repercussions in this area and others.

Though I’m not as sure as I used to be that some stuff is irreversible. Anecdotal, but a lot of anecdotal evidences to the contrary.

Kraz: Excellent read. Some of the second pairing issues in the O zone could be Russell playing on his offside and not having a good one time shot. Also Oiler Dmen seem like some of the least active in the league in coming down in the ozone to support the forwards and help create some space for them. This was especially noticeable last night after watching a dman like Girard play.

One thing I want to hammer down on is that, like in every other aspect of the Oilers’ systems, the middle of the ice is rarely used.

As in, if a guy is pinching he’s coming down the wall and then skating back up at the first opportunity.

I think the most dangerous pinches is when a good skating Dman cuts to the middle and threatens the first check. There’s a ton of ice that’s never used by the blueliners on this team.

(Also thank you both for your kind words)

OriginalPouzar:

I think this is more Russell than Nurse (and the combo makes Nurse worse).
    The possession metrics for McDavid/Nurse were much better than McDavid/X.

I mentioned this at some point in the piece too – that Nurse was the strongest defenceman for McDavid’s minutes last year, as we both talked about a bunch while it was happening. It’s definitely not a pure personnel issue even with KR.

It’s not going to go away unless they change the way they play.

41. Melvis says:

Wilde: From my non-video room viewings, I’ve actually been annoyed recently with the slower pace the 97 lines are playing with in the OZ, and what they’re settling for in terms of releases. Relying on a roll of the dice from the point in order to get to the net,with Connor McDavid on the ice, is heinously unambitious.

Thanks for the input.

Among other things, so have I,fwiw.

The students of the game and of the Oilers as avocation in particular, by eye and metrics – tend to beat me in describing what contitutes some largely intuitive personal eyeball related twitches on my part. The result of which, I end up fucking the dog with off piste nonsense. Also a result of slow typing hands and processing.

That said, there are a lot of flies in this ointment called the Oilers. You seem to have picked out a few of them.

I appreciate your posts.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: Rattie just scored & played reasonably ok
    Strome is busy being our 4th line center.
    Chaisson could come out, should probably be Lucic

I have a feeling the coach might actually give Lucic the pressbox next game.

43. pts2pndr says:

flyfish1168: 1st game back from a road trip is always difficult. But this is where the head coach needs to motivate and challenge his players.

Old school thinking he probably read from the good book so to speak adding pressure! This coach is a lesson in what not to do in even the most basic of leadership methodology. By my observation Todd McLellan does not have the requisite leadership skills to take a team to a Stanley Cup! He may know hockey and the leadership deficit not withstanding, I believe he is a good man! Being a head coach in this day and age is a delicate balance and in no way easy!

44. russ99 says:

Hate to say it again but Chia spends $6.5M to give Strome, Cagguula and Benning raises and tried to fill other holes with kids.

We needed more talent added this summer, not go with what lost a ton of games last year in the hopes they all figure it out at the same time.

GM is the issue more than coach.

45. Gret99zky says:

OriginalPouzar: I have a feeling the coach might actually give Lucic the pressbox next game.

It will only invoke further discontent, resentment, and perhaps a lopsided trade.

46. Gret99zky says:

russ99:

GM is the issue more than coach.

Dry Powder Pete™

47. sumaclab says:

Oilers on a path to nowhere if the definsive liabilities of this team are not addressed. Talbot has to make a save. Not all of them. A few.
    If I owned the team. Me. I would have fired MacT. He was the victim of his own undoing though. Hiring Eakins .
    If it were me. Id fire Chiarelli too. His inability to keep talent and aquire players who are questionable is beyond my limits of comprehension.
    This morning we are all pouring gasoline onto the fire.

Only Katz has the ability and means to stop the fanbase from disassociating themselves from this team.

48. Oilanderp says:

Good push-back in the third period. Score effects perhaps and blah blah but at least that period wasn’t horrible to watch. I doubt Lucic comes out now given he actually generated a point last night. Or did I imagine that?

I’m of the idea to run McD, Drai, and Nuge all on their own lines, with the occasional double shift of Nuge or Drai on McD’s wing depending on how things are going.

I have no math to back up this hunch. Ah, but I may as well try and catch the wind.

49. pts2pndr says:

russ99:

GM is the issue more than coach.

San Jose GM continued to get him the players he wanted and he is not able to get out of the conference! New coach and team goes to the finals! Yes it is is definetly the GM! Please check coahes history with some really good teams! Note in 2006 this coach had the Oilers down three games to one and lost the series!

50. pts2pndr says:

Gret99zky: Despite Looch’s poor play, I don’t see the advantage for Peter, Todd, or Milan in pressboxing him.

He is rapidly running out of players to blame and put in the pressbox! Maybe the orange team needs a new head coach!

51. pts2pndr says:

russ99:

GM is the issue more than coach.

russ99:

GM is the issue more than coach.

Strome and Benning contracts are within reason! Lucic contract is a done deal and at the time was the going rate to acquire him! The problem as I see it is the Russel contract. It is too high for third pairing left shot D and he is unable to cover big minutes as a second pairing right D. The cost of the contract not withstanding the no trade no movement clause is odiferous!

« Older Comments