A Worried Mind

One thing’s for sure: This isn’t Jesse Puljujarvi’s fault. The Edmonton Oilers were beyond bad on home ice last night, in a game they needed to win in order to stop the bleeding. It was 60 minutes of coach killer and it’s impossible to ignore this spectacle. When your best players—and make no mistake that ghastly effort involved everyone but the fourth line—play that poorly, it’s a bad day.

I’m casting about looking for a song to match the mood, and find myself drawn to a hotel room in Orillia, Ontario and a wordsmith writing about the gales of November. We’re not there yet, but it’s in the forecast.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Best available offer is here!

• New Lowetide: Oilers send Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to Bakersfield; recall Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers trade options: Dealing from strength is finally a possibility.
  • Lowetide: What happens to the Oilers when Alex Chiasson’s hot streak ends?
  • Jonathan Willis: Under the circumstances, playing in the AHL affords Jesse Puljujarvi the best chance at career redemption.
  • Lowetide: A new day dawning for Oilers prospects in Bakersfield as increased usage means greater success.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: In depth: Embattled Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli defends his record, remains bullish on the future.
  • Lowetide: Future Oilers bubbling under in Bakersfield may get a look sooner rather than later.
  • Lowetide: Oscar Klefbom takes a step forward for the Edmonton Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Forty years later, remembering the forgotten trade that brought Wayne Gretzky to Edmonton.
  • Lowetide: Oilers reach a pressure point on defence and right wing.

GAME NOTES

• Ordinarily I do breakdowns of all the possession numbers and shots, et cetera, but always reserve the right to pass on the opportunity. I don’t work when the Oilers don’t work.
  • There’s also lots of score effects in the possession numbers, so not much to learn. Bottom line: Connor, Oscar, Nuge, Leon, Cam, not one of the key players had a good game. If I had to pick a first star it would be Zack Kassian. Second star? Mikko Koskinen.
  • Apologies. You can grab the info at NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.
  • Ty Rattie scored a goal, he’s up to 8, 2-2-4 now and 1.77 per 60 scoring 5-on-5. That number ranks him No. 4 among Oilers forwards.
  • Cam Talbot was poor. I’m normally upbeat on the goalers but he wasn’t good from the start.
  • Connor McDavid deserves linemates of a quality Nathan MacKinnon enjoys. One day he’s going to wake up and be extremely pissed with this organization. That’ll be a bad day.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was not good. You can look through all seven years of this blog and find very few times I’ve been overly critical. I appreciate his game very much. He was off.
  • Zack Kassian was fantastic, and the entire fourth line easily the best thing going for this club.

OILERS AFTER 17

• Oilers in October 20156-11-0, 12 points; goal differential -10
  • Oilers in October 2016: 9-7-1, 19 points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in October 2017: 6-9-2, 14 points; goal differential -13
  • Oilers in October 2018: 8-8-1, 17 points; goal differential -8

The four game losing streak has coincided with a blip for the 2016 team, but in the following five games the 2016-17 playoff group went 3-1-1 to correct the course. Will this team do the same? Not with an effort like last night.

OILERS IN NOVEMBER

• Oilers in November 2015: 2-4-0, four points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-3-1, five points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in November 2017: 3-3-0, six points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2018: 2-4-0, four points; goal differential -6

Oilers this November remind me of that 2015 team to be honest, kind of careening between individual brilliance and collective malaise. We’re at a point now where it’s pretty freaking serious for the head coach, so Tuesday is a big game.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN NOVEMBER

• At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) Actual (1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Detroit, Washington, Tampa Bay, Florida  (Expected 2-2-0) (Actual 1-3-0)
  • At home to: Colorado, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Calgary (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Vegas (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Dallas, Los Angeles  (Expected 1-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 8-5-1, 17 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 2-4-0, 4 points in 6 games

Off the rails now, the ‘expected’ results were taken out back and shot last night around midnight. At this point, it’s probably fair to suggest the two Los Angeles games are winnable. After that? Depends on whether or not the Oilers decide it’s a good night to show up. Edmonton has gone 0-2, 6-2-1, 2-4-0 to start the season. Not much consistency there.

FIRE THE COACH

History tells us the coach is the first to get the pink slip. I have argued Todd McLellan doesn’t have the horses, but at some point that’s not going to fly. The Oilers rarely fire coaches in the middle of a season (Bryan Watson, Ted Green, George Burnett, Dallas Eakins). Todd McLellan has coached the Oilers for 13 playoff games, don’t know that he’ll get another one.

I don’t think this roster is good enough and that’s on the general manager. Four years now into Connor McDavid’s career and nothing rhymes. That’s on management, in my opinion. I’m thrilled with the progress in procurement, that is going to pay dividends. I’m not sure Peter Chiarelli or Todd McLellan are going to be around to see their dream come to fruition.

I don’t think the losing goes on much longer without a change. The Montreal game is a monster.

WHAT ABOUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

It’s the right thing to do, but may cost the general manager his job. I wouldn’t be shocked to see one giant trade here, something designed to shock the system. What does it look like? Maybe it’s Tanner Pearson or Mats Zuccarello, maybe it’s Tuukka Rask. Expect the startling.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

I’ll be on the round table of the Dustin Nielson show at 9 this morning, TSN1260. Jamo will join me, we’ll talk CFL, Oilers and other things! At 10, it’s the Lowdown, scheduled to appear:

• Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. We’ll chat Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Tennessee Titans and more. Crazy football weekend.
  • Darrin Bauming, TSN1290 Winnipeg. The Blue Bombers are moving on, after a big win in Regina yesterday.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. What’s the next step for the Oilers?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

312 Responses to "A Worried Mind"

« Older Comments
  1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

drglen: You guys. Sekera is not going to be effective. A warrior desrving of respect but his time has come and gone.Only a fool would bank on him as any king of d fix. At best he should be 6 7 d.

I diagree.

He was a disaster last year while his brace was on, but looked good at the WC.

This injury is different.

Many players come back well from Achilles tears.

Might have even given his knee more time to heal.

They need to start him in AHL on a conditioning stint and not jam him right in the NHL like they did last year.

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

UnjustEnrichment:
    My final comment of the day: One needs smart and innovative people at the top of an organization, not those who are plodding thinkers without an iota of imagination or vision.

I’ve enjoyed your posts today.

3. drglen says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Could be. Train differently. Look at tom brady. He got a personal trai er. And changed e erything to keep suppleness and looesness. Not hard musle. I may be too harsh. Achilles is a different beast. Thats going to rewuire very disciplined pre and post game care and probably play p ly every third game

4. Alpine says:

The plan should have never been to rely on fast-tracking prospects to fill holes on D that our brilliant GM couldn’t fill with actual NHLers. Sorry but that rarely works because you have to heavily shelter those players. Bear got worked regularly on his own zone last year.

What’s the rush to get him here so quickly anyways? Shea Theodore played 19 and 34 games in his draft plus-3 and 4 seasons respectively. And he was a first rounder that made Canada’s WJC team. Bear has unfortunately been hurt in both his first two pro seasons so yeah, he’s gonna need some more time in the AHL.

Bouchard is already gone. He was playing 11 minutes a night which is like 65% of what a good team’s third pairing should be playing. That wouldn’t help our team long term as much as it was nice to have his passing. Let the kid develop at his own speed and not on the Oilers’ panicky “wow we need puckmovers yesterday” timeline.

5. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

OriginalPouzar: Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Rieder-RNH-Chiasson
    Lucic-Strome/Marody-Rattie
    Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Looking at this line-up sparked a few thoughts…

First, I “dislike” seeing > $21,000,000 on one line. This is desperation.

Second, there have been significant arguments and data for Strome at 3C instead of RW, BUT the 3rd line has not been able to “get going offensively”, while generally managing defensively most nights this year (if I recall correctly). IF, Marody could handle 3C with some capable veteran wingers (e.g., Reider and Chiasson), which centre does Strome work with best historically (97 or 29)?

Caggiula-McDavid-Strome/Rattie
    RNH-Draisaitl-Strome/Rattie
    Rieder-Marody-Chiasson
    Khaira/Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

This would put some more skill in the top 6 and perhaps bring some much needed creativity to the 3rd line. Caveat: TMac clearly does not like Strome, so I doubt he would get the chance to move up the line up when he hasn’t “earned it”.

Third. I have loved this team for a long time. I hurt when they lose. I am convinced they will never win a Stanley Cup with TMac at the helm. The sick masochistic part of me wants to see them suffer a bit more over the next 2 weeks so there is no choice but to fire the coach. Why put off the inevitable?

Fourth. My gut tells me Connor is done playing for TMac.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

From listening to Chiarelli today – talking about Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, it sounds like he thinks that that Yamamoto is closer (and he may be right). He though that Kailer played well but he wanted to send him down to get his offensive confidence and his scoring going. With Jesse it sounds like there are more parts of his game that need to be worked on.

I don’t disagree with his assessment to tell you the truth.

7. workaroundaccount says:

I just want to comment on the TMac communication thing. I’ve coached a lot of teams, and sometimes teams develop a bad character. Character typically comes from the top, but enough losing can lead to players going a different way from what the coach or GM prescribe. Bad players look to blame everyone around them for the lack of success. That’s cleary what the senators are doing if you saw the leaked clip. If Iiro was curious why he’s a borderline NHLer, I’m sure he had ample time to ask. These are adult men who have played hockey their whole lives. The sport isn’t rocket science, and 90% of all systems are the same. Figure it out. This isn’t the NFL where you have to memorize 50 looks every week. I’m fine with getting rid of TMac for JQ, but don’t expect him to be the mosiah. The oilers do not have enough actual NHL players. It’s time for a hard ass if that’s the kind of whiny BS that is going on over there. Rob Shremp is a better 1RW option than Rattie. Let’s stop pretending that it’s a shock and that changing the coach is gonna do a damn thing.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Stauffer asking about Koskinen and mentions that pretty much all year long he was the first guy on the ice – early, working on his game with the goalie coach and, as an aside, he mentioned that Jesse was often the guy out there with him.

There has been some questioning Jesse’s dedication to improving as per the coaching staff’s requirement but it seems to me he has full dedication.

9. bendelson says:

Woodguy v2.0: So last night was your faulty then.

Fucking Bendelson.

Don’t be ridiculous…
    That said, there has been a change of plans. For our next date night, we are going to the Citadel – livelier crowd and less drama.

10. drglen says:

Alpine,

Couple things. I dont disagree at alll. I think tha says we should have had quality d prospects in the farm system four to six years ago ? Did we ?

The rush is we are close to rock bottom here. Very close.

Lame effort fot mtl and you Will See. Season ticket holdersnot show up. Tv networks revising schedules. And even bags on heads.

The fans. I am a fan. I want to cheer for something. For fans the hope if your team helps the darkness in life in gereral. It goes beyond hockey. When you lose hope in your team the rest of the week is tougher.

I want to see youth because youth is hope. Irrational perhaps

And i rember the youth oilers of 1981? Id rather hope for potentially overacheiving youth than be cynical about underachieving vets.

The panic is that im tired of being cynical about my team and im not alone. Beyond that i have no solid rationale

11. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to OHL/RUS in 20 minutes – Bouchard, McLeod, Samorukov, Maksimov

12. Woodguy v2.0 says:

bendelson: Don’t be ridiculous…
    That said, there has been a change of plans.For our next date night, we are going to the Citadel – livelier crowd and less drama.

Well done.

And to be clear, I was blaming you and not your awesome wife.

13. ArmchairGM says:

Woodguy v2.0,

What do you think of Pysyk as a 2RD target? His scouting reports have all the right words (offensive defensemen, good skater, PP ability, etc) and yet he hasn’t outscored Petrovic at any level even though Petrovic is touted as a shutdown guy with no offense. What gives?

Do you think Pysyk would be a better bet at 2RD than Benning? A cursory look at the numbers doesn’t show a lot of daylight between these two.

14. jake70 says:

Lowetide: One of the things I wonder about is who Katz would name general manager. There aren’t a ton of names.

Tambellini?

15. drglen says:

Do you think tbere are maybe too many teams now?

1978 canadians had savard lapointe robinson and langway

16. Glovjuice says:

Material Elvis: Yeah I think I’m going to walk back on my $7-7.5M contract prediction for Talbot.Seems pretty silly in hindsight.He’s playing himself out of a starters position.It’s too bad that he can’t figure it out.

He was so good in 16-17. A few around here thought (and I agreed but wasn’t posting then – too smashed all the time) that we should have went all in for the cup that year. McD, Talbot on fire, Klef and Larson on fire, some balance, and many said it was a wide open year. Nope, Chia said we were not ready.

17. hunter1909 says:

drglen: I want to cheer for something. For fans the hope is your team helps the darkness in life in general. It goes beyond hockey. When you lose hope in your team the rest of the week is tougher.

Okay. Basically sports has been described as men’s equivalent of women watching soap operas. There’s no law; natural or otherwise compelling anyone to be a fan of anything.

Once upon a time Oilers traded Mark Messier to the Rangers for shitty players and that killed my interest in NHL hockey for about 10 years. I only started following the Oilers again because in the early 2000’s I used to hang out in hockey chatrooms, and needed a team to support.

Right now TMac has lost the team. When Connor McDavid is dogging it, you know there is a monster problem. Also, the team has literally fallen off a cliff, losing so many games that they’ve dropped back into the gutter of the Conference.

So basically, all there is left to talk about is: Fire Chiarelli/McLellan. Everyone knows the AHL players aren’t anywhere near ready to help the team in any meaningful way. It’s just Fire McLellan, fire Chiarelli, or fire both of them.

Call that what you like, but it’s hardly sports fandom. You’re better off watching Stan Brakhage movies.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Russia scores on a wrist-shot from outside the blue line less than a minute in – now that was a poor goal.

19. drglen says:

hunter1909,

Or reading. Ive been saying that for years

20. Dustylegnd says:

Man this guys nails it on Lucic……these stats are worse than I thought

21. Glovjuice says:

HugThePost:
    Oilers sure make it easy to be negative in a hurry;10+ years of being the League laughing stock will do that.

Why stop at TMac getting fired?I think when he gets fired, one of the assistants will take over as Chia had planned for over the summer.When said assistant can’t turn it around, Chia gets fired, and the OBC move in and re-establish themselves as the group with power running the team.The Oilers go on to be run on decisions made at the mystical Red Wine Summits and enter even a darker era of their history that sees many players leave including 97 and permanent occupation at the bottom of the league again.The between whistle entertainment at Rogers Place becomes a rotation of good ol’ Oilers from the 80s who gets dusted off and throws on a current jersey and gets spotlighted in the stands in a never ending carousel of “Legends Nights” as the OBC decides nostalgia will drown out the fans’ sorrow and despair about the current team.

Seriously……get a hobby people, there are better things to do in 3 hour segments than watching this tire fire.Rome has been burning for over a decade.

I actually think we would be better off with Tambo as GM for the last 4 years but I guess that’s going too far back for this comment to mean anything. LOL.

22. Munny says:

bendelson: For our next date night, we are going to the Citadel – livelier crowd and less drama.

+100

23. Glovjuice says:

drglen:
    I was also considering a connor trade. And thinking of lindros

This team is toast.All the wtong players are overpaid and extended.Its not fixable.

Today bob nich should fire todd and peter

Talbot does not see another game.Shop hom for peanuts doesnt matter

Pretend its the wha xpansion draft and let loose

This franchise is a collossal failure

Actually is there s female pro league ?Im serios id be interested in that and edmonton should get a team

Gorgeous. This post is the greatest, most accurate characterization and solution I have read. Notwithstanding the gibberish. Beautiful. Frame it. It’s correct to the umpteenth degree.

24. Munny says:

LT,

To which artist’s Worried Mind does your post title refer? I’m trying to guess, but you fit for all of them except maybe Glenn Frey’s.

25. Glovjuice says:

PinkSocks: Oh FFS.<40% scoring per WG with 97 off ice, so naturally, put the second best player on the team on his line.

Someone needs to whisper in TMac’s ear that if he wants the team to score better with 97 off the ice that the answer is X-97-X and 93-29-X.

Don’t whisper. Let him hang himself. Please.

26. JimmyV1965 says:

Dustylegnd:
    Man this guys nails it on Lucic……these stats are worse than I thought

27. Glovjuice says:

UnjustEnrichment:
    It may be time to jettison Darnell Nurse + another assetor draft pick for a winger who can play with McDavid–say, William Nylander. But can the Oilers afford him? William Lagesson is playing very well in Bakersfield. He is an older prospect who could replace Nurse. We are already losing with Nurse there.Might as well roll the dice. I don’t think Nurse will ever be much more than he is at present, a good 3-4 defenceman. Lagesson seems to have the defensive consistency and balance to his game that would translate well to the NHL. Caleb Jones still needs more defensive development, so I would leave him in Bakersfield for now.Would Toronto be interested in Darnell Nurse? There might be a bigger possible deal between the two teams.I would also be willing to give up Yamamoto, but I would not part with Puljujarvi.

Do it. Now

28. Woodguy v2.0 says:

ArmchairGM:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I’m not sure he’s better than Benning but I think he is.

29. OmJo says:

I think the real question is: is Pysyk better than Russel as 2RD? He’s our defacto 2RD atm.

30. Glovjuice says:

UnjustEnrichment:

Such a great two posts. Good microcosm of his Chia would fail in the real world.

31. PinkSocks says:

Glovjuice: Don’t whisper. Let him hang himself. Please.

I agree of course, I just struggle with the concept of cheering against the team even if it’s likely for the greater good.

32. PinkSocks says:

JimmyV1965: At some point, probably before the start of next season, this team needs to have a Come-To-Jesus reckoning with Milan Lucic. He doesn’t produce any offence and he can’t play either special teams. That puts him outside the NHL. Yet he can’t be sent to the AHL. That means at some point the team will have to basically make him a permanent healthy scratch. Or do you sacrifice a first round pick to trade him? Is it worth giving up a first round pick to save $6 mill in cap per year. Keep in mind that we can likely dump his contract for free in two years with the new CBA. So the question is do we sacrifice a first round pick to save $12 mill in cap over two years?

I’d rather not lose the pick. I know the guy is a train wreck and it is only getting worse, but the 1st rounder would sting considering the 2 right wingers that were drafted in 2016 & 2017 not exactly showing up-arrows.

PC needs to be a bit brutal with him. He is not an NHL player anymore. Oil need to take their medicine regarding the cap and drop him in the AHL. Yesterday. When the new CBA hits then buy the man out. Mistakes happen, tough for the player, tough for the cap, but it’s better to hide $1m of his salary in the AHL and use that on a sub $1m replacement as they will most certainly provide more benefit to the team.

33. drglen says:

Glovjuice,

You could get something for nurse

34. Ribs says:

So this is what a 110% ankle looks like!

Oh my…

35. texmex says:

PinkSocks,

You don’t think he is tradeable with 3 or 4 million retained?

I’d be happy with Lucic on my team for 2 million

36. PinkSocks says:

PinkSocks:

PC needs to be a bit brutal with him.He is not an NHL player anymore.Oil need to take their medicine regarding the cap and drop him in the AHL.Yesterday.When the new CBA hits then buy the man out.Mistakes happen, tough for the player, tough for the cap, but it’s better to hide $1m of his salary in the AHL and use that on a sub $1m replacement as they will most certainly provide more benefit to the team.

Nevermind. NMC. So he literally can’t be sent down. Katz is pissing in PC’s coffee guaranteed.

The only solution is to healthy scratch him permanently and hope he has a melt down and walks and they can terminate the relationship for breach of contract.

If there was a NPC (No-pressbox-clause), PC most certainly would have given him that as well.

37. Pescador says:

Paddy Morans Jockstrap:
    They will play like junk against the habs and coach will be gone – have to do it soon as the season is still salvageable.

I doubt Peter makes the same mistake again this year.
    Coach todd is out rope and almost out of time

38. PinkSocks says:

texmex:
    PinkSocks,

You don’t think he is tradeable with 3 or 4 million retained?

I’d be happy with Lucic on my team for 2 million

I’d be fine with him for $2m (as opposed to $6m) but the most the Oil can retain is $3m. Even then, no GM will trade for him unless we are giving significant assets back.

Per Ryan Lambert at Yahoo Sports, “Among all 165 forwards to play at least 700 minutes at 5-on-5 in 2018, Lucic ranks No. 164 in points per 60 (0.63).”.

No one is trading for him as I don’t think anyone sees any potential of him rediscovering his touch. It’s over.

39. drglen says:

I have a tbeory

In hockey the team that scores more than the other team. Wins.

So get players who can score. And other players who stop the other team from scoring. Especially goalies

Do we have a roster that can do these rhings ?

We dont. That is 100 percent on tbe gm and he should be fired

If he also blew your budget and prevented you from getting players. He should have been fired yestetday and fined

That said. Are players asking for too much money ? I think so

40. Pescador says:

UnjustEnrichment:

The Oil have exactly 3 competent top 4 D.
    Nurse needs help, I’ll give you that but who will replace his minutes if you acquire a winger?
    Certainly you are not suggesting one of the kids from Bakersfield,
    Also Oilers have no cap space for his Williams contract.
    I’m sorry but Nurse for Nylander is a terrible idea

41. texmex says:

PinkSocks,

That’s fair. I think he can be traded with 50% retained and a second rounder or b prospect.

I think he could be useful in another organization, outside the fishbowl of Edmonton where careers go to die.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov with a nice assist – cross-ice pass near the offensive blue line to start the play.

43. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar:

Waas Talbot in Goal? 😉

44. who says:

Pescador: Last year the calls for the coaching change got extremely loud around xmas and that awful stretch of (5?) consecutive losses. That game in Wpg sticks out in my mind for some reason
    I doubt Peter makes the same mistake again this year.
    Coach todd is out rope and almost out of time

Tmac has his veteran team now. Let’s see what he does with it.

45. Alpine says:

How about putting Lucic and Nuge together?

From 2016-18: 50.5 CF%, 51.8 GF%, 49.9 SCF%, 100.3 PDO

HD chances is 46% for the pair, so not that great, but last year it was 49.5%, so they improved a lot last season and that was without having Eberle presumably creating looks in the OZ.

It’s too bad we don’t have a real RW for those two to play with. I suppose you throw Rattie there since him and Nuge should have some understanding of each other now.

Also, I know Looch probably shouldn’t play more but maybe splitting up him and Strome could make L2 and L3 better as a collective.

I admit, logically 27 and 18 stay together as they just need to cash more to start owning souls.

46. who says:

OriginalPouzar:

Really like what I’ve seen from Samorukov this series. He probably needs at least 1, probably 2 years in the AHL but I think he has an NHL future.

47. jtblack says:

This commentary has been far too kind. The Oilers are …. in trouble. They are leaking Oil (so to speak). Unravelling? maybe.

Let’s be completely honest. They are Losing amd look like Sh*t in the process. These aren’t close games. We can’t dilute our minds with “The good old College try”.

We keep having major areas of concern and the options to Improve won’t work. Let’s recap.

Most on the Blog agreed to some of the following:
    TALLBOT NEEDS TO BOUNCE BACK

DADBOT – POOR
    OSCAR – VERY GOOD
    LUCIC – NEXT QUESTION
    DRAI DRIVING A LINE – SOMETIMES
    NO TO JP
    NO TO KY
    I AM STILL UNSURE OF WHAT NURSE IS??
    BENNING CLEARLY CANNOT HANDLE TOP 4 DUTIES
    TODD SEEMS TO BE DOING TO MANY TODD THINGS

How is this going to turn around? Can anybody answer that?

LT warned it could be a “LOST” season while we wait for the Prospects and Suspects to Develope and be ready to impact the NHL Roster.

#Frustrated

48. drglen says:

who,

Its more about intensity than this or that player

49. who says:

PinkSocks: I’d be fine with him for $2m (as opposed to $6m) but the most the Oil can retain is $3m.Even then, no GM will trade for him unless we are giving significant assets back.

No one is trading for him as I don’t think anyone sees any potential of him rediscovering his touch.It’s over.

Cassandra was right. You couldn’t get a 7th round pick for him.
    Having said that, I really am rooting for him. It’s the quintessential underdog story. Odds stacked against him and all that.
    Seems like he puts the work in, his teammates like him and he has been a better player this year.
    He just can’t score!

50. OriginalPouzar says:

texmex:
    PinkSocks,

You don’t think he is tradeable with 3 or 4 million retained?

I’d be happy with Lucic on my team for 2 million

Can only retain half – so $3M

51. Scungilli Slushy says:

Alpine:
    How about putting Lucic and Nuge together?

From 2016-18: 50.5 CF%, 51.8 GF%, 49.9 SCF%, 100.3 PDO

If I was Pete I’d go to Nicholson (who would have been all for Lucic as the RWS) and say to him that this is not a Cup year, the playoffs are important, but the future is even more important.

Let’s not do anything rash, and let’s do everything possible to get Lucic scoring at a tradeable rate. Luc has value if he is scoring, probably a lot still.

Gretzky made every plugger look good, and Connor can do the same ‘if’ there is tolerance and creativity from the coaches. Short term pain. long term gain. Don’t forget Lucic’s contract gets actual cash lighter every year. Perfect for a cap floor team, Katz has paid a lot of the salary already.

I would also trade Talbot in a heartbeat for long term help. He’s ok, but at this point who can say he’s a top 5 starter? Koskinen and Montoya aren’t going to be that much worse. This is a playoff team with a few basic additions as WG suggests.

I am also ok with Nurse going for a good haul. He’s youngish and tough etc, but for reasons I have observed from games and interviews that I won’t go into because I don’t wish to start a pile on, I would move him. He’s at his ceiling now IMO, and it’s not better than a few behind him will be soon other than the pugilism. His skating isn’t creating a difference on D or O.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: The Oil have exactly 3 competent top 4 D.
    Certainly you are not suggesting one of the kids from Bakersfield,
    Also Oilers have no cap space for his Williams contract.
    I’m sorry but Nurse for Nylander is a terrible idea

The suggestion seemed to be Willie Lagesson at 2LD as a Nurse replacement. Now Lagesson is one of my favorite prospects but to think that Lagesson can come in and “replace Nurse” is pretty out there to me.

53. Paulie says:

who: Cassandra was right. You couldn’t get a 7th round pick for him.
    Having said that,I really am rooting for him. It’s the quintessential underdog story. Odds stacked against him and all that.
    He just can’t score!

To be fair, he’s third in the league in hits. That must be worth something. Probably not worth $6M.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Really like what I’ve seen from Samorukov this series. He probably needs at least 1, probably 2 years in the AHLbut I think he has an NHLfuture.

Yup, he’s been great in the series and was great tonight. The issue with Samorukov in the OHL seems to be consistency but I would suggest that’s not uncommon for a teenage d-man.

Definitely will need some significant AHL time but he’s got a chance at an NHL career.

55. drglen says:

jtblack,

The giving up in games as a team eexcept for kassian was not predicted. Thats a new thing.

You know one thing comes to mind. Our captain. I feell like im criticizing john coltrane for a poor solo which is insanity. But. He has more power than he realizes. Connor could start to kick ass and call people out in the room.

He should channel phil esposito 1972

56. Scungilli Slushy says:

Let’s not forget players find their games again away from Edmonton. Lucic on the Kings probably does ok with Kopitar or Carter, older centres he can relate to game wise. Probably does well in Boston because of the style they like.

57. jtblack says:

drglen:
    jtblack,
    The giving up is worrisome. It’s not new. They were shut on home ice last year 6 times I beleive. and most of the 4-0 & 5-0 variety. Connor is more tha pulling his weight

You know one thing comes to mind.Our captain. I feell like im criticizing john coltrane for a poor solo which is insanity. But.He has more power than he realizes. Connor could start to kick ass and call people out in the room.

He should channel phil esposito 1972

58. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, he’s been great in the series and was great tonight.The issue with Samorukov in the OHL seems to be consistency but I would suggest that’s not uncommon for a teenage d-man.

He’s got all of the tools it takes, it’s up to him.

59. JimmyV1965 says:

who: Cassandra was right. You couldn’t get a 7th round pick for him.
    He just can’t score!

More then once on his show Gregor has stated that he has never seen Looch work on his game before or after practice. And I don’t think he would say this without asking others if they have seen Looch put in extra practice.

60. unca miltie says:

When I was a young boy, my dad and I used to go to my grandmother’s house to watch the Nhl. my first year of really following the league was 1958. I remember Willie O’Ree playing for the Bruins. Being a farm boy from Saskatchewan, I had no idea about color but I do remember cheering for his success. neat to see him go in the hall of fame.

61. McSorley33 says:

Dustylegnd,

Wow.

This is a terrible/embarrassing indictment of our head coach.

Lucic was painfully in the top 6 to start the season.

62. Wilde says:

–hudson–: We worked on some things in practice and for us to get out of it is much a mental decision to play the game with the right amount of risk at certain times, better game management, obviously bringing it to begin with, and we talked about those things. So we packaged up this year’s team and talked about that we didn’t start well, but we got to work, and it began in Boston. Then it went to New York from there we found a lucky game in Winnipeg because we weren’t very good to start with, but we worked their way through it.

All of our wins, except for the one outlier in Winnipeg, we’ve given up three or fewer goals so there is a common theme to that. All of our losses were over three or over, and I’m not just talking about the Edmonton Oilers, I’m talking about the NHL. That’s how it works and right now we’re chasing mistakes and we’re hoping that we’re gonna get to four or five or six a night, and it doesn’t happen on a regular basis. We proved it with our own wins so understanding that offense comes when it’s presented, and you work to it, and you try and create it. But you’ve gotta manage the risk part, it’s really important for our team right now.

We meet with the staff and one of the assistant coaches asked, “Can we win a game one-nothing right now?” That’s something we have to have. That mentality of it doesn’t mean we’re trying to take away their scoring, their creativity, anything like that. But we’ve got to manage risk a little bit better and we got to understand that every play has an impact on the game, as little as it may feel like when you’re on the ice, but every play has an impact on the game.

Thanks for the transcript Hudson.

This part I’ve quoted is the definition of insanity.

63. franksterra says:

Wilde,

By the end he sounds like a python trying to squeeze all the players to death.

64. Pescador says:

who: Actually, I’m in no rush to fire him. The player who was being hurt by his presence is gone.
    Tmac has his veteran team now. Let’s see what he does with it.

I wonder if our GM is interested in waiting to see what happens
    I’m guessing the answer is no

65. Wilde says:

franksterra:
    Wilde,

By the end he sounds like a python trying to squeeze all the players to death.

Especially the part about “we got to understand that every play has an impact on the game”.

NOT TO MENTION –

Thinking goals-against is the problem right now is just obscene.

The Oilers, at 5v5, are at 1.87 goals-for per 60 and 2.32 goals-against per 60.

They would need to be a top-4 team in the league at suppressing goals in order to BREAK EVEN with this goal-scoring rate.

66. Richard S.S. says:

To trade Milan Lucic, a 2019 3rd round pick, a 2020 1st Round pick, a 2021 2nd Round Pick and someone else might get a 4th Round pick back, possibly less. If acquiring someone useful, the “someone else” should be good.

67. Pescador says:

McSorley33:
    Dustylegnd,

Wow.

This is a terrible/embarrassing indictment of our head coach.

Lucic was painfully in the top 6 to start the season.

The fact remains that a new coach isn’t going to be able to fix the shitty roster.
    But it’s past time for a change

68. who says:

Pescador: I wonder if our GM is interested in waiting to see what happens
    I’m guessing the answer is no

Yeah. He’s got a lot more on the line than I do.
    But I do think Katz will tell him when he HAS to fire the coach.
    It’s in Chias best interest to hang on to Tmac as long as he can. Once he fires Tmac it’s all on him. That’s where it gets real uncomfortable.

69. digger50 says:

Tonight Pontus is top line right winger and first PP unit.

Hmmmm

Todd is just so dang good at assessing talent? Pontus may not have been “the” answer, but he may have provided a piece of the answer. However he is sent packing, we lose the emerging prospect.

Oiler fans state he wasn’t very good anyway. This cycle repeats.

70. who says:

digger50:
    Tonight Pontus is top line right winger and first PP unit.

Hmmmm

Oiler fans state he wasn’t very good anyway. This cycle repeats.

Yeah he’s looking pretty good too.
    But once Todd decides he doesn’t like you, you’re done.

71. Wilde says:

The teams that give up less goals than the Oilers score right now – 1.87/60, are the top three teams in save-percentage.

Two of them are Nashville and Boston, the other is Anaheim.

So, Talbot has to be a Vezina goalie and/or the Oilers have to defend as well as Boston or Nashville.

Then, they’ll break even in goals.

Todd McLellan doesn’t appear to know where we are or how we got here.

Those are two things you usually have to be aware of before you find out how to get out.

72. OmJo says:

Wilde: Thanks for the transcript Hudson.

This part I’ve quoted is the definition of insanity.

You have Connor f’ng McDavid and your biggest concern is that the team can’t win games by scoring 1 goal?

Is Chiarelli just screwing with us at this point?

73. OmJo says:

digger50:
    Tonight Pontus is top line right winger and first PP unit.

Hmmmm

Oiler fans state he wasn’t very good anyway. This cycle repeats.

I remember at the start of the season OP was getting some slack for complaining about losing Aberg. Aberg was a bum, after all.

Think some owe him an apology.

74. OmJo says:

Also, good for Aberg that he got out while he still had a chance to salvage an NHL career. Right now he’d either he playing 4RW or, more likely, watching from the McLellan Doghouse.

75. v4ance says:

Wilde:
    The teams that give up less goals than the Oilers score right now – 1.87/60, are the top-three teams in save-percentage.

Two of them are Nashville and Boston, the other is Anaheim.

Then, they’ll break even in goals.

Todd McLellan doesn’t appear to know where we are or how we got here.

Those are two things you usually have to know before you find out how to get out.

He knows. That’s why Caggulia is on the first line! Drake will save us!

76. OmJo says:

Also also, Yakupov scored his 8th goal in 16 games tonight.

77. Wilde says:

The diminishing returns on trying to lower your goals against is absurd compared to just… scoring more than 2 goals an hour 5v5 with the best 5v5 player on the planet playing 25 minutes.

78. northerndancer says:

It takes a worried man to sing a worried song
    It takes a worried man to sing a worried song
    It takes a worried man to sing a worried song
    I’m worried now, but I won’t be worried long…..

LT, I bow down to your optimism. And a tip of the hat to the original WG, Woodie Guthrie.

I was on a long trip down across the mighty rockies today and came home to find the masses burning pitchforks like their was no hay crop tomorrow……yikes. The road is long, with many a winding turn..82 games. And now I duck back into my kootenay cave to wait out the storm.

79. Scungilli Slushy says:

digger50:
    Tonight Pontus is top line right winger and first PP unit.

Hmmmm

Oiler fans state he wasn’t very good anyway. This cycle repeats.

The Oilers roster isn’t perfect but no team’ is because cap.

Your comment hits the nail on the head with my issues with what’s going on.

This roster is the best we’ve seen in years. It could be better but what about now?

I have no confidence that the most is being made of what’s there. Maybe it comes from above the ice or issues with players and agents but there is more to get out of the players and system.

Maybe a new coach, but Gulatzan and all players the Sask boys are cut from the same cloth, and a step down from Babcock. Or two. Most people can’t do what he does being a grumpy hard ass or so his public persona seems.

I’d go with Quenneville or Vivieros. Yawney maybe but probably too old school.

Shake the deployments up to a different look and let them play for a stretch. Trade Talbot before Koski takes his job and kills his value.

80. Scungilli Slushy says:

Scungilli Slushy: The Oilers roster isn’t perfect but no team’ is because cap.

Yourcomment hits the nail on the head with my issues with what’s going on.

I’d go with Quenneville or Vivieros. Yawney maybe but probably too old school.

Meant Sask coaches not players. The cabal has mostly run its course it seems.

81. Glovjuice says:

Wilde:

Two of them are Nashville and Boston, the other is Anaheim.

Then, they’ll break even in goals.

Todd McLellan doesn’t appear to know where we are or how we got here.

82. Wilde says:

Glovjuice: Fak. Who can tell him this? Surely there MUST be someone on staff that should/can/will I would think.

Guessing here, I imagine his response would be that after the team tightens up defensively, the offense will come. That’s a common coaching sentiment and one that he added during that same avail.

Which is all well and good when we’re talking about having the puck more meaning scoring more goals – but this team has trouble with the second portion of that much more than it has trouble with the first.

If they keep making low shooting percentage offensive plays, they’ll keep getting outscored regardless. They can be as tight defensively as they want, goals against will still happen. Whereas, goals-for don’t just ‘happen’ at the same rate because of how uncreatively and unambitiously the team attempts to generate offense 5v5, even with McDavid on the ice atm.

The bounces will create goals-against regardless of execution, and they won’t create goals-for because the team doesn’t induce scenarios where dangerous bounces happen.

I’m seeing a lot of posts about effort today and they’re missing something. It’s not effort, and it’s not attitude.

The fourth line created the most against Colorado because they made plays from below the dots into the slot area. No other line was doing that. The rest were all going with the grain and not against it, shooting from distance or in the goalie’s set vision.

83. franksterra says:

Pontus

84. franksterra says:

Turris somehow gets Gibson to give him half the net

85. franksterra says:

Iron

86. franksterra says:

Getzlaf stoned

87. franksterra says:

Gibson glove on ellis

88. franksterra says:

Rakell lube hands

89. franksterra says:

Fiala lame. Ducks 2pts

90. franksterra says:

Sorry all, I’m a few pops in in a Vancouver hotel

91. season not played says:

I would look at waiting to see who ends up with the number one pick this year and trade mcdavid for Jack Hughes plus. For example, Colorado (via Ottowa) + Cale Makar + Grubauer. Move the time line back giving me a few years to dig out of the cap situation and still turn the 2015 lottery win in to a dynasty.

92. €√¥£€^$ says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Looking at this line-up sparked a few thoughts…

First, I “dislike” seeing > $21,000,000 on one line. This is desperation.

Caggiula-McDavid-Strome/Rattie
    RNH-Draisaitl-Strome/Rattie
    Rieder-Marody-Chiasson
    Khaira/Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

This would put some more skill in the top 6 and perhaps bring some much needed creativity to the 3rd line.Caveat: TMac clearly does not like Strome, so I doubt he would get the chance to move up the line up when he hasn’t “earned it”.

Fourth. My gut tells me Connor is done playing for TMac.

I agree with all your points.

It seems that Connor has lost “the fire” over the last few games. And from the outside looking in, and considering comments we’ve heard from Hall, Pakarinen and even Uber passengers, players like employees do often tune out their coach/boss and lose that intangible that often makes them exceptional at what they do. I can relate on a few levels.

This is a big one, and if this organization (BobKat) (waidaminit…does this explain the choice of mascot?) is satisfied with mediocrity, then instead of occassionally “losing” CMD, they may end losing him for good as many others have suggested today.

Of course in Oilerland the 4 loses in a row equates to a falling sky, so if they happen to get a few W’s stitched together then all the angst will be behind us until the next losing skid.

Like I said after the NJ game, it would be better for the org if they lost early and often and made a change ASAP. Likely Gulutzan would be annointed HC, but this is what unimaginative teams do. I’d like to see MV be given the keys to this team.

Anyway, I am guessing this team limps to .500 by Christmas and then just after Christmas the whells will fall off and Chia won’t make a move until mid-January to replace the HC.

93. --hudson-- says:

Wilde: The part about “I’m not trying to take away their creativity when I’m talking about risk management” (paraphrased) is like sticking ‘no offense’ in front of something highly offensive.

NOT TO MENTION –

Thinking goals-against is the problem right now is just obscene.

The Oilers, at 5v5, are at 1.87 goals-for per 60 and 2.32 goals-against per 60.

It struck me as odd as well. You don’t want to parse the words too closely but he sounds the exact opposite of Gerard Gallant. Being afraid to make a mistake sure lines of with place and chase, big point shots, and not really the type of hockey I want to watch.

I was happy to hear the chunk at the end on the Strome line and that they need to get producing. Not sure how he thinks that’s going to happen though.

94. hunter1909 says:

€√¥£€^$: players like employees due often tune out their coach/boss and lose that intangible that often makes them exceptional at what they do.

When a low talent player tunes out the coach it’s often dismissed as how a player isn’t of the proper level to play for the coach…

But when a superstar dogs it, like McDavid during the last few games; tonight’s game might be called:

“Todd McLellan’s Last Stand”.

95. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Given current bodies, I want to see this fwd lineup:

1. Strome MacDavid Chiasson: Unlock attempt for Strome and at least Chiasson can shoot.
    2. RNH Draisaitl Rieder: This is a good second line.

Those two lines ought to outscore the opposition, especially at home. Can they outscore given:

3. Khaira Marody Kassian: Its already getting ugly but these three all have something to play for.
    4. Lucic Caggiula Rattie: Not Rattie’s fault, maybe switch with Kassian but I like the muscle on L3.

They can, if L4 gets 10-12 minutes and KMK are playing with their asses on fire.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

With no center and 3 weak defensive players, I don’t think that 4th line can even get 10-12 minutes – they would never have the puck, would be chasing and likely getting scored on and/or taking penalties.

97. Wilde says:

One of the Nylander articles at The Athletic bounced a Faulk + Teravainen deal before noting that Faulk wasn’t the D-man the Leafs are looking for and Teravainen isn’t as good offensively as Nylander.

So then, adding Brett Pesce apparently makes more sense but is still “sacrificing a star for two role players”.

Am I crazy to think that’s completely ludicrous?

Like, I’m basically pro-Leafs compared to what the usual Oilers fan / / Edmontonian feels about Toronto, I don’t mind them or their amount of coverage at all.

But talking about that deal that way is nuts. Teravainen is a top-line forward. He’s a legitimate star of the same variety Nylander is – he and Aho elevate a grinding third player (Ferland) just like Matthews and Nylander and Hyman.

Then you splash in a legit 2/3 guy on a Nashville-deal and it “makes a little more sense”?

?????????????

98. Wilde says:

According to Dom L’s fantasy projection, we’ll get to watch around –

33 more Connor McDavid goals,

25 more Leon Draisaitl goals,

and

24 more Ryan Nugent-Hopkins goals, this season.

99. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wilde:

Am I crazy to think that’s completely ludicrous?

?????????????

Nylander is way ahead of where Teravainen was at the same age.

That said, thinking that Nylander is worth both Teravainen AND Pesce is ridiculous.

He’s worth a bit more than Teravainen, but Pesce is a top pairing quality Dman and not a “trade topper”

Many fans over rate the value of their players, TOR fans/writers are no different.

100. Jethro Tull says:

Wilde,

Kicker is that the Leafs don’t save that much money id they do this deal and Teravainen will need to enter new contract negotiations next year.

This means the trade could cost potentially more in 2yrs time as it would if they just signed Nylander.

101. Wilde says:

Woodguy v2.0: Nylander is way ahead of where Teravainen was at the same age.

Either way the age thing makes Nylander a better asset, but calling those two (Pesce&Teuvo) players ‘role players’ was the part that got my goat

102. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wilde: I have Nylander being better on the condition he stays on-curve yeah, but sometimes guys don’t

Yeah, first line wing and first pairing D aren’t “role players”

103. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur,

What if you swap Khaira and Caggiula?

104. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde:

Am I crazy to think that’s completely ludicrous?

?????????????

If the Leafs could get either Faulk or Pesce, the deal would be done. Adding in TT is ridiculous homerism.

105. who says:

I think Pesce and his contract is a good deal for the Leafs.
    No way they trade Nylander straight up for Faulk.

For The Athletic:Connor McDavid, a 50-goal season and chasing Phil Esposito’s magical 1970-71

107. drglen says:

intriguing first paragraph… I guess I’ll have to subscribe to the athletic. Phil’s 76 Goals does kind of stand out as an outlier, but as you say he had Bobby Orr setting him up.

When Connor realises that he actually IS Messier, he will get 50. He has to stop apologizing to coaches, linemates, other players, and media, and simply own the league

. Hook him, dirty play, .. payback is an elbow to the face right then and there. ala Gordie Howe. Then he scores 60.

108. drglen says:

I’m curious, how many goals have been scored from D this year. ?

(maybe I should ask how many points from D,)

Of course, that first pass from D is often the fourth assist.

109. knighttown says:

You can argue the Leafs didn’t need Tavares but you can’t really say he’s overpaid. He’s right there in that top-10 in the NHL range and most believe stars are underpaid compared to the mid-level guys.

This reminds me of the Leon/Pastrnak signings. Leon got his money but that cap hit pretty much guarantees that he’ll never be a “value” guy. Pastrnak signed for a bit of a bargain and now he’s exploded and is on one of the best contracts in the NHL.

In my world I’m a big fan of wage grids. Have a plan and stick with it. You sign Tavares but only if he slots in below Matthews. Marner gets more than Nylander but less than Tavares. Nylander gets less than Marner. Once you start crossing swords you can make a mess.

If that’s the hill Dubas dies on I can’t blame him. Treat his season like a red-shirt season if you have to.

110. ArmchairGM says:

Woodguy v2.0: That post was inspired by Stauffer and Spector today.

Stauffer read a text that said McLellan should have left JP with McDavid because Bednar left Rantanen with MacKinnon to help develop him.

Spec’s response was “well Puljujarvi is no Rantanen”

So I looked to see if he was right.

Turns out they were very, very, very close in results in JP’s 19 year old year and Rantanen’s 20 year old year.

So JP was actually ahead of him.

Then in JP’s 20 year old year the head coach shivs him.

I didn’t hate JP on the 3rd line, but keep fucking playing him and quit benching him for mistakes that others don’t get benched for.

Completely messing with that kid’s head and he’s got oodles of talent waiting to be blossom.

I’ve posted this before but it wouldn’t hurt to post again I’m sure:

[all numbers 5v5 points/60 and (TOI)]

DRAFT +1
    Rantanen w/ MacKinnon: 0.00 (0:43)
    Rantanen w/ Duchene: 0.00 (29:09)
    Puljujarvi w/ McDavid: 2.86 (84:01)
    Puljujarvi w/ Draisaitl: 1.67 (107:28)

DRAFT +2
    Rantanen w/ MacKinnon: 1.66 (684:55)
    Rantanen w/ Duchene: 0.86 (350:34)
    Puljujarvi w/ McDavid: 1.87 (256:57)**
    Puljujarvi w/ McDavid [w/o Lucic]: 2.42 (74:34)**
    Puljujarvi w/ Draisaitl: 2.37 (101:22)

Rantanen is getting over 1000 minutes with skill centers!

DRAFT +3
    Rantanen w/ MacKinnon: 2.28 (946:52)
    Rantanen w/ Duchene: 0.00 (12:48)
    Puljujarvi w/ McDavid: 8.76 (6:51) ***
    Puljujarvi w/ Draisaitl: 0.00 (31:58) ***

So those 1000 minutes Rantanen got in the top-6 paid off the next year, he’s now scoring at a 1st line pace.

** Much of this time included Lucic on the other wing, stunting JP’s numbers (and McDavid’s), so I also show Puljujarvi’s P/60 without Lucic
    *** These numbers are from this season, so small sample size alert.

Another way Puljujarvi got short-changed was in PP time. The PP is an ideal place to play a young player, as they have extra time and space and their mistakes are less likely to end up in the back of the net.

[all numbers PP goals/60 | points/60 (TOI/gp) and most common linemates]

DRAFT +1
    Rantanen 0.00 | 0.00 (0:00)
    Puljujarvi 2.65 | 2.65 (0:48) Maroon, Nugent-Hopkins – 2nd PP unit

DRAFT +2
    Rantanen 1.17 | 2.92 (2:51) MacKinnon, Barrie – 1st PP unit
    Puljujarvi 2.48 | 2.48 (0.44) Lucic, Maroon – 2nd PP unit

DRAFT +3
    Rantanen 2.38 | 6.94 (3:46) Landeskog, MacKinnon – 1st PP unit
    Puljujarvi 0.00 | 0.00 (0.50) Strome, Yamamoto

It’s pretty clear that McLellan hasn’t been serious about developing Puljujarvi’s offensive game at all. In 2017-18, Puljujarvi was 18th on the roster for PP time/game, but 2nd for PP goals/60. He scored at about 2.5x the rate that Lucic did, yet somehow Lucic “earned” 2:07/gp vs JP’s 0:44.

And another thing: although just one draft-year apart, Puljujarvi is more than 18 months younger than Rantanen – October 1996 to May 1998.

111. jake70 says:

Interesting….I have this game on TSN2 ….looks like regional feed for the Canadiens.

« Older Comments