Rocky Mountain High

Things got a little crazy in the third period, and the MASH unit was busy mending blue all night long, but the Oilers won again and are now 8-2-1 under Ken Hitchcock. Music! We’re on to Winnipeg. Oscar is on to Edmonton, gone for weeks. Sad trombone.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Tyler Dellow: A look at which first lines are producing (and which ones aren’t) (Oilers content inside)
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Connor McDavid became the world’s fastest skater.
  • Lowetide: Contemplating Oilers roster changes as injured players prepare to return.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers are bending, but not breaking, in one-goal games under Ken Hitchcock.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Kim Boutin: Amid threats, she took the short track to Canadians’ hearts.
  • Lowetide: I have seen the future of Edmonton’s power play, and its quarterback is Evan Bouchard. Or Joel Persson. Or both!
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect winter 2018: Cooper Marody
  • Jonathan Willis: Ken Hitchcock’s turnaround of the Oilers takes another positive step as they climb back to a playoff pace.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect winter 2018: Ethan Bear.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect winter 2018: Ryan McLeod.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect winter 2018: Tyler Benson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect winter 2018: Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect winter 2018: Evan Bouchard.

OILERS AFTER 31

• Oilers in 201514-15-2, 30 points; goal differential -7
  • Oilers in 2016: 15-11-5, 35 points; goal differential +6
  • Oilers in 2017: 13-16-2, 28 points; goal differential -6
  • Oilers in 2018: 17-12-2, 36 points; goal differential +2

This Oilers team is the best of the McDavid era, based on points. Built on strong goaltending, structure, shot suppression and the three big guns up front. It’s working! Currently on track for 45-32-5, 95 points. One worry: Depth, and that will be tested with Oscar on the shelf.

OILERS IN DECEMBER

• Oilers in December 2015: 6-0-0, 12 points; goal differential +7
  • Oilers in December 2016: 2-1-3, seven points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in December 2017: 3-3-0, six points; goal differential +4
  • Oilers in December 2018: 5-1-0, 10 points; goal differential +7

Nothing to criticize this December, the record is outstanding. Hitchcock is pulling out all of the stops (he ran with 10 forwards and 5 defensemen last night, that’s 1971-style) and still won the two points. He’ll need to get some goals from the Spooner line, lord knows what it’ll be called on the day they click.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• At home to: Vegas (Expected 0-1-0) Actual (1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Minnesota, Calgary(Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • On the road to: Colorado, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, San Jose, Winnipeg (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 5-1-0, 10 points in six games

Well, my prediction ability this season is completely off the rails. Honestly, an absolute abomination. I had them going 2-4-0 in the first six, they are 5-1-0. This follows up my fantastic October (predicted 3-6-2, they went 6-4-1) and scintillating November (predicted 8-5-1, they went 6-7-1). Riddle wrapped in a mystery solved by Hitchcock!

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Klefbom-Larsson went 5-6 in 6:57, 2-3 shots, no goals and 1-1 HDSC. I hope you enjoyed that pairing, they won’t be around for some time.
  • Nurse-Larsson went 10-12 in 8:43, 7-6 shots, 2-0 goals and 4-4 HDSC. This is extremely likely to be the top pairing until further notice, the duo has performed well in the past in this role.
  • Nurse-Russell were 5-17 in 11:12, 1-7 shots, no goals and 0-3 HDSC. Honestly I’m tired of writing these crazy Corsi numbers, it’ll be a relief to see this pairing split.
  • Gravel-Benning went 7-4 in 5:37, 5-3 shots, 1-0 goals and 3-0 HDSC. Gravel went 3-7 with Larsson in 5:43, Benning went 3-7 in 2:58 with Nurse.
  • What a mess.
  • Nathan MacKinnon went 13-7 against Larsson (2-1 goals); 15-9 against Nurse (0-1 goals); 8-2 against Russell (no goals); 4-1 against Gravel (2-1 goals); 2-2 against Klefbom (no goals); 0-3 against Benning (0-1 goals). Players listed by TOI against MacKinnon.
  • Mikko Koskinen stopped  39 of 43, .907. Damned shame those late goals went in, he was exceptional.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Chiasson-McDavid-Draisaitl went 16-20 in 15:54, 7-11 shots 1-1 goals and 3-4 HDSC. It was a wild night at both ends, looked like the Star Wars bar scene at times. McDavid and Leon are so damned good together, I swear Leon’s backhand beauty was as fine I’ve ever seen. McDavid’s goal on the play just added to the fun. Went 10-13 against Girard-Johnson, McDavid going 6-14, 0-1 against MacKinnon. Would love to see this as a playoff series.
  • Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian went 11-11 in 12:34 (Kassian) and 7-10 in 9:40 (Khaira). It was the No. 2 line on the night in terms of time on ice, Khaira being placed with the checkers I’m not sure why. One possible reason was the matchup of Brodziak v. MacKinnon, a total run time of 6:13, Edmonton winning the Corsi’s 5-6 and goals 1-0. Hitch relied on Brodziak a lot last night, might explain Khaira moving to this trio. Does that mean he moved up to the Brodziak line from the Nuge group? This needs some examination! Line was 2-0 (Kassian) and 1-0 (Khaira), this might have been Brodziak’s best game this year. Went 6-7 against Zadorov.
  • Zykov-Spooner-Rattie were 3-7 in 4:01, 2-4 shots. Barely played. Oilers are going to need more from this line.
  • Lucic-Nuge-Puljujarvi went 3-14 in 8:09 (Puljujarvi) and 4-10 in 6:27 (Lucic). Went 2-9 against Cole-Barrie, that’s a strong pairing for the Avalanche, Barrie looks comfortable there. Nuge was fire last night, his goals enormous moments in the game. The line was not effective in possession. Some of that is due to game state (Avs spent a lot of time pushing) but I thought it was fascinating that Hitchcock went with Brodziak as the checking option. Learning opportunity for all Oilers fans, in my opinion.
  • At 5-on-5, MacKinnon faced McDavid line 9:00 (6-14 Corgi for 97, 0-1 goals), Brodziak trio 6:14 (5-6 Brodziak, 1-0 goals), Nuge line 2:43 (1-3 for Nuge, 1-1 goals), Spooner line zero minutes. Hitch can coach.

WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE OSCAR?

The hockey Gods, realizing that Hitchcock may tip the balance too much in Edmonton’s favor, struck down the dreamy Oscar last night. “Weeks” is what the organization is looking at, that’s not good. Impossible to conceive of an outside replacement playing at that level (so very many minutes), suspect we’ll see this in Winnipeg:

• Nurse—Larsson
  • Gravel—Benning
  • Garrison—Russell
  • Wideman

If there is a recall, it could be any of Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear and William Lagesson, even Keegan Lowe or Ryan Stanton is possible. Here are the 5-on5 goal differentials by player so far this season:

1. Ethan Bear 12-7 [+5]
  2. Caleb Jones 16-12 [+4]
  3. Ryan Stanton 13-10 [+3]
  4. Keegan Lowe 15-15 [0]
  5. William Lagesson 14-14 [0]
  6. Logan Day 9-15 [-6]

FORWARDS SCORING, 5-ON-5

Edmonton has three men who are delivering in the discipline at a first-line rate (Nuge is close to 2.00/60), followed by a couple who are on the fringe. After that, it’s an elevator shaft. Hitchcock mentioned last night they needed more players going offensively, something that becomes obvious when looking at this list.

1. Connor McDavid 2.69
  11. Zack Kassian 0.60
  12. Jesse Puljujarvi 0.54
  13. Ryan Spooner 0.54
  14. Valentin Zykov 0.00
  15. Cooper Marody 0.00

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

It’ll be a fun morning as we discuss the victory in Denver last night, there are some items coming out today for Edmonton sports fans and we’ll cover them as well. Begins at 10, TSN1260:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Bruce had his keen eye on the game last night, we’ll talk about what he saw, and options to replace Klefbom.
  • Jon Campbell, OddsShark. Patriots Super Bowl chances, who are the favourites, NBA’s strongest teams and good bets (Celtics coming on), plus Oilers and their goal suppression helping the under
  • Laura Armstrong, Blue Jays beat for the Toronto Star. Lots of baseball news yesterday, we’ll chat about the big items including sail on, Tulowitzki.

255 Responses to "Rocky Mountain High"

« Older Comments
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

giddy: At least it happened around when the NHL does their small Christmas break. Oilers play on the 22nd then not again till the 27th. Small as it sounds that’s basically 2-3 games we don’t have to play without Klef.

Last year on the holiday trip, I streamed Oiler games in the middle of the night from the comfort of my bed at the Hong Kong Island Shangri-La – that won’t be an option on this vessel – although I will be on the mainland, in the Colombo Shangri La for the NYE game so I will get one.

2. Andy Dufresne says:

Stealing from Woodguy here, but if the Oilers beat Winnipeg with no Klefbom and Talbot in net then Hitch truly does deserve to be canonized.

( The Catholic Church canonizes people who have performed miracles and are declared — literally — to be saints.)

3. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Oh great!! Swedish MRSA getting surgery.

Surgery vs. no Surgery has not been decided/disclosed yet.

I am expecting it though…

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Dicky94:
    OriginalPouzar,

Probably around the same time as Sekera?Or is he coming back sooner now?

No official time table for Reggie’s return has been announced but, from accounts, its likely to be at some point in January.

5. jp says:

Wilde:
    If you listed off all of the attributes of Matt Benning, I would guess he’d be a fan favourite.

He’s remarkably far from that, and it’s strange to me because typically it’s not too complicated to take the temperature and forecast pretty well when it comes to fanbases.

Well said. It really is odd.

6. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar: and 2-3 days where I’ll be on a boat (catamaran) in the Indian Ocean off the south coast of Sri Lanka.

Sounds awesome! How did you come to select Sri Lanka? Do you know people there?

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: It’s pretty terrible , I’m not excited about tomorrow

I’m totally excited for the tomorrow – the red hot Oilers play.

I’m excited to see Nurse play with Larsson.

I’m excited to seen Benning (Gravel) with some additional minutes.

I’m excited to see Talbot continue his plus play.

The Jets are an entire 4 points up on the Oilers (with a (home, I think) loss to the Oilers on their resume)…….

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Andy Dufresne: Sounds awesome! How did you come to select Sri Lanka? Do you know people there?

It was pretty odd – the wife and I were humming and hawing over a bunch of places – SE Asia, Japan, Brazil – all places high on our list and one day she e-mailed me a G-Adventures itinerary “Sailing off the South Coast of Sri Lanka” and we booked it within a few hours.

Its a long ways to go for 8 days but we do it all the time (last year went to Hong Kong for 8).

This is going to be really tough though as, not only is it a perfect 12 hour time difference (actually 12.5 hours) to really eff us up but Sri Lanka isn’t a hub for travel.

Calgary to Toronto
    Toronto to Abu Dhabi (almost 14 hours)
    Abu Dhabi to Colobmo (almost 5 hours – arriving at 3:30am)
    3 hour transport to the south coast.

Thank god for business class and on Ethiad Air at that (love the luxury middle eastern airlines).

9. giddy says:

Dedication to the craft. Enjoy your trip!

10. Glovjuice says:

frjohnk:
    Draisaitl is the best backhand passer is the league.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. It’s a “Lazy Backhand”

His long backhand pass is unique and amazing.

11. Reja says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Good News Bad News Lowetide.

Bad News Carson Wentz may be out for the year.

Good News!6% chance Tampa Bay Rays move to Montreal!

(So you’re saying there’s a chance!)

Loved the Expos always will. The homerun by Rick Monday still hurts to this day.

12. pts2pndr says:

Bulging Twine:
    Nurse and Russell potentially split up and both on their strong side will give more info on what the problem is there.Both?Russell?Nurse?

If you have to ask the question!

13. CallighenMan says:

Bismarck:
    Bag of Pucks,

I recall reading up on this a few years ago.Apparently it has to do with the age at which most players start playing the game (and their relative strength at such time).When you start playing hockey at a very young age, the tendency is to play with your dominant hand further up the shaft of the stick for some reason.If you take up the game when a bit older (and stronger), the opposite tends to be the case.There is apparently quite a difference between the percentages of hockey players who are righty/lefty (i.e. right handed in everything else, but shooting left) in Canada (where kids tend to take up the game earlier) as compared to the American cousins.Anecdotally, I am aware of more RHD coming out of the US than out of Canada.

I started hockey when I was 3.5 and shoot right, golf right, catch left (including as goalie), write with my right hand … as far as I can remember my right was always stronger – so I am Mr. opposite I guess.

After hockey my second sport was soccer – shoot and pass equally well with either foot/leg. I guess leggedness (ha) isn’t the same as handedness…

14. Scungilli Slushy says:

So it’s interesting that PCs roster is playing well now. Outside of the 3 trades things have been ‘normal’.

Who knows what has or is going on but things look right now. Lots of quality players pushing, so any moves have to be low key as our anti explosion host says.

15. LadiesloveSmid says:

I think I’ve done this in the past and he slowed down towards season end maybe, but Larsson on pace for 24P and he plays no PP. Would tie his career high.

16. Bag of Pucks says:

Bismarck:
    Bag of Pucks,

That makes absolute sense.

17. Scungilli Slushy says:

To me given ~10% of the league shoots right, a disproportionate number of elite goal scorers shoot right. The best players of all time have shot left still.

18. kgo says:

Oil shutout the flames, posters here complain about how the boys played, say the flames were missing guys…oil beat Col, posters say we got outplayed…if the boys beat WPG without top 2 D or starting goalie what angle will the haters complain about I wonder? Me thinks nothing short of a cup will offer Chia redemption, perhaps even Stanley won’t be enough for some.

19. kgo says:

People naturally want to be heard….saying negative things is a good way to be heard unfortunately

20. Halfwise says:

Scungilli Slushy:

I shoot left, golf and bat and write right. A RW gets fed by a good left shot centre on his forehand (eg Kurri from Gretz) and everyone wins.

When I started playing in the 60s we almost all shot left except the southpaws, who of course shot right.

I couldn’t believe meeting righties who shot right. That was just wrong.

Strong hand on top, like when I rake or shovel.

hunter1909: Hitch already invented the wheel.

Geez…

I think Hitch would say that Clare Drake invented the wheel, and that he stole it.

22. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

kgo,

– Don`t worry: with Klef out, this will cascade down to all the D, who have to play higher up, the G won`t be as good, we will be behind a little more, then the drums will beat stronger, and this stretch will be chalked up to luck and small sample size, and Hitch bump, and Chia will be punted, and we will rejoice

23. jenga66 says:

kgo,

If the Oilers win the cup in 6 games, there will be posters complaining that they could have won it in 5 if Chia hadn’t traded Hall.

24. TeeVee says:

Lucky POS Flames.

25. oilersfan says:

Is there a team in the history of hockey that scores more 6×5 than the flames?

I have never seen a team do it so frequently. I think this is the fifth time this season!

26. LadiesloveSmid says:

Can Philly roll over like that against Edmonton FFS

27. TeeVee says:

Tied it with 7 sec left and win in OT.

Scungilli Slushy:

Mario Lemieux, Gordon Howe,
    (Ovechkin, Kurri)

Robert Orr, Wayne Gretzky
    (Jagr, Forsberg)

29. SelathioHarms says:

I just want everyone to know…nothing makes me (and I’m sure all of you) feel better than the Oilers winning and the flames in misery, so I decided to watch the last five minutes of the flames game for gits and shiggles. Hate those bastards.

30. Reja says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Can Philly roll over like that against Edmonton FFS

They were short handed half the third period flames flopping like fishes.Glad we didn’t have those goofball Refs for our game.Kelly Hrudy tied with Drew Remaida as the worst color announcers ever:

31. JimmyV1965 says:

Glovjuice: His long backhand pass is unique and amazing.

I still remember that amazing saucer pass to Desharnais to beat the Sharks in the playoffs. It wasn’t a long pass and it was in his forehand, but it went through two defenders and landed absolutely perfectly on his stick. Amazing.

32. JimmyV1965 says:

Scungilli Slushy:

33. Jethro Tull says:

JimmyV1965: I disagree. I think we need to get a legit sniper for RNH. This team will be so much better if we have a second line that is a true threat to score. I don’t want to see the team sit on its hands like it did two years ago.

Hiw about a legit sniper WITH RNH?

34. Wilde says:

kgo:
    Oil shutout the flames, posters here complain about how the boys played, say the flames were missing guys…oil beat Col, posters say we got outplayed…if the boys beat WPG without top 2 D or starting goalie what angle will the haters complain about I wonder?Me thinks nothing short of a cup will offer Chia redemption, perhaps even Stanley won’t be enough for some.

sir is the webpage to your liking

35. JimmyV1965 says:

Jethro Tull: Yeah, RNH only scored 2 last night.A legit sniper on the 2nd line with Spooner as center would have had 5 or 6, easy.

Hiw about a legit sniper WITH RNH?

So did you somehow infer something derogatory from my comment? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I have no idea what Spooner has to do with RNH, unless you’re saying he should play on the second line. RNH has brought his game to a new level this year. We’re wasting his talent by not getting him a legit sniper to work with.

36. kgo says:

Wilde: sir is the webpage to your liking

Haha! I should have prefaced by saying I think Chia should have been fired last year, but he wasn’t, and now has a chance at redemption…I’m just annoyed by the fact that dozens of folks, DOZENS! won’t grant him redemption IF he earns it….and he’s still 51 + at least 14 games away from earning it.

37. Wilde says:

kgo: Haha!I should have prefaced by saying I think Chia should have been fired last year, but he wasn’t, and now has a chance at redemption…I’m just annoyed by the fact that dozens of folks, DOZENS! won’t grant him redemption IF he earns it….and he’s still 51 + at least 14 games away from earning it.

One thing I like to do when the grievance-airing posts start coming in is re-read the thread and tally up what everyone was actually talking about before things like “the drums will beat stronger” and “oilers beat COL, posters say we got outplayed” began to be said.

Here’s what I found:

18 posts participating in a discussion about player handedness.

6 posts talking about the Drai pass.

24 posts mentioning Duncan Keith.

31 posts participating in a discussion speculating about the Dcorps (and updating on Klef; discussing Sekera; Caleb Jones, Garrison/Benning/Wideman dynamic) with a neutral or positive outlook.

10 posts with a negative or worried outlook on the Dcorps.

4 posts purely about Sekera.

32 posts positive about Hitchcock; Hitchmas

11 posts mentioning Puljujarvi

1 post mentioning Chia re: the Reinhart trade

1 post subsequently defending Chia on Reinhart trade

25 posts speaking positively about Chiarelli players or roster construction (signings and trades, not drafted so excluding Jones/McDavid etc,) including Larsson, Lucic, Sekera, Benning, Klefbom’s contract, Koskinen

6 posts speaking negatively in any way about Chiarelli players or roster construction (Benning, cap space, Eberle trade)

5 posts speaking positively about the game last night

0 posts that said we got outplayed last night

53 posts that didn’t fit into any of these categories (I should have made one for Nuge, was probably ten plus in that category)

A great many posts overlapped and entered several categories.

I think this place and the posters here get mischaracterised and that when the team is winning there’s much less complaining than there is complaining about people complaining.

I also think that if Chiarelli wins a cup, or even if the team goes deep, critics of Chiarelli will likely be shouted down on social media (the best evidence we have for this hypothesis is the happenings of February-October 2017) and the majority of the visible fanbase will not be critical of him.

38. Pescador says:

jenga66:
    kgo,

Haha

39. 106 and 106 says:

Pescador,

“They’d also complain Chia would have won it in 4 if Hall didn’t spend the night between game 3 and 4 at Oil City Roadhouse.” -Ference

[at least that’s where i always saw Hall/Ebs]

40. kgo says:

Wilde: I just vehemently disagree with a common framing that this place is overwhelmingly unfair to Peter Chiarelli, that this unfairness goes uncontested, or any of the other related refrains.

Here’s what I found:

18 posts participating in a discussion about player handedness.

6 posts talking about the Drai pass.

24 posts mentioning Duncan Keith.

10 posts with a negative or worried outlook on the Dcorps.

4 posts purely about Sekera.

32 posts positive about Hitchcock; Hitchmas

11 posts mentioning Puljujarvi

1 post mentioning Chia re: the Reinhart trade

1 post subsequently defending Chia on Reinhart trade

5 posts speaking positively about the game last night

0 posts that said we got outplayed last night

A great many posts overlapped and entered several categories.

This is Amazing! I would love to see this kind of breakdown on every LT post! I agree with your conclusions, the only problem with your argument, ironically, is sample size.

My comments today reflect the previous 3-4 posts, not just today’s….I realize that it is bad blog etiquette to comment on an earlier post…I believe it is referred to as a thread-jack and I apologize for same.

41. kgo says:

Wilde,

Oh, and I don’t think you caught the “dozens of us!” reference…it implies an extremely small minority…wasn’t meant to be taken literally….

42. who says:

Here’s what I found:

18 posts participating in a discussion about player handedness.

6 posts talking about the Drai pass.

24 posts mentioning Duncan Keith.

10 posts with a negative or worried outlook on the Dcorps.

4 posts purely about Sekera.

32 posts positive about Hitchcock; Hitchmas

11 posts mentioning Puljujarvi

1 post mentioning Chia re: the Reinhart trade

1 post subsequently defending Chia on Reinhart trade

5 posts speaking positively about the game last night

0 posts that said we got outplayed last night

A great many posts overlapped and entered several categories.

Hey wait a minute. I said we got outplayed last game. I DEMAND TO BE HEARD!

43. Jaxon says:

I know they called up Jones but maybe they should make a trade. Spooner out for one of Petrovic, Folin, Lovejoy, Rutta, or Bortuzzo. Petrovic (Florida, Eastern team out of playoff picture) makes the most sense. They’re all RHD on expiring contacts on currently non-playoff teams so they’d be rentals but I think there would be a great chance Petrovic would re-sign for his hometown Oilers. He’s also still young so his play shouldn’t fall off anytime soon. He’s decent as third pair guy who can do well at 2nd pair too. He’s big and has some (some) offensive skill to his game. Dump Spooner’s too expensive contact for a serviceable and possibly long term right D. Florida has the cap space to take on Spooner’s 3.1M in exchange for Petrovic’s 1.95M. Or the cheap route is to gamble on Justin Holl, who should be given a chance but isn’t getting it in Toronto. He was arguably the best RHD not in the NHL last season but has played only one game this year and has to be placed on waivers to get sent down. He’s big, fast, dependable and showed some great offense last year.

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

kgo,

You are annoyed at your assumptions about what people will do if something theoretical happens?

45. Jethro Tull says:

Here’s what I found:

18 posts participating in a discussion about player handedness.

6 posts talking about the Drai pass.

24 posts mentioning Duncan Keith.

10 posts with a negative or worried outlook on the Dcorps.

4 posts purely about Sekera.

32 posts positive about Hitchcock; Hitchmas

11 posts mentioning Puljujarvi

1 post mentioning Chia re: the Reinhart trade

1 post subsequently defending Chia on Reinhart trade

5 posts speaking positively about the game last night

0 posts that said we got outplayed last night

A great many posts overlapped and entered several categories.

Who died and made you the Thread Police?

Live and let live.

Here’s what I found:

18 posts participating in a discussion about player handedness.

6 posts talking about the Drai pass.

24 posts mentioning Duncan Keith.

10 posts with a negative or worried outlook on the Dcorps.

4 posts purely about Sekera.

32 posts positive about Hitchcock; Hitchmas

11 posts mentioning Puljujarvi

1 post mentioning Chia re: the Reinhart trade

1 post subsequently defending Chia on Reinhart trade

5 posts speaking positively about the game last night

0 posts that said we got outplayed last night

A great many posts overlapped and entered several categories.

What I didn’t say, and this blog proves, is that there is a population sliver in the group who feel no need to forgive Chiarelli at all. That’s an incredible range of opinion, each set in their specific opinion. Chiarelli is the most divisive personality on the team since Justin Schultz. Ideally your GM has more people onboard with his opinion after just 3 years but it has been a very eventful time.

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull: Who died and made you the Thread Police?

Live and let live.

He was challenging a narrative another poster had tried to establish with facts on the thread, not being a cop.

48. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: This is brilliant and I think fair reflects this group. I love this blog because there IS nuance, there’s a massive range of opinion. I was mentioning on the air yesterday that (imo) some Oilers fans would forgive Chia if the team won One Stanley, others would do it if Two arrived, while others would never forgive him.

If EDM won the Cup I’d be deliriously happy and enjoy it to the hilt. We actually took Cup wins for granted when I was a teenager.

Man.

How will I feel about Pete if they win?

Not sure.

It would probably depend on what he did to help them win.

Which players were key to the win and did Pete bring them in?

Did he flush his mistakes off the roster without burning buyout cap space like it was an unlimited resource?

Is the procurement system productive and producing NHL players on a regular basis?

There are some up arrows in some respects (procurement) and down arrows in others (cap hell brought upon himself)

What the actual situation is at the time they ever win the Cup would have a lot of bearing on it.

I don’t think he survives that long though.

49. 106 and 106 says:

I love this – shows great nuance.

50. Pescador says:

Jethro Tull: Who died and made you the Thread Police?

Live and let live.

Its actually Live and Let Die
    I thought you were the 5th Beatle?

51. Jaxon says:

Adding Petrovic now would also allow them to gauge whether they can afford to trade Russell and/or Sekera in June. If they like Petrovic as 2RD, then they can try to sign him before June.

Top 4
    Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Petrovic

3LD: Russell/Sekera/Jones/Lagesson –
    3RD: Benning/Bear/Persson/Berglund/Bouchard

52. OriginalPouzar says:

A Petrovic type move would make sense with equal cap going out.

The acquisition of a major top 4 piece as suggested by Andy, to me, doesn’t make any sense, in particular given we couldn’t do it, cap wise, with a combination of picks, prospects, Puljujuarvi’s.

53. Professor Q says:

Pescador: Just make sure you don’t make a mistake and end up with
    Irish and Mexicans,that could be a disaster

Auston Matthews and Max Pacioretty are not that bad at all, though. Prime Gomez and Owen Nolan weren’t bad, either.

I’d take them all!

Oh, and I guess Edmonton did have Bill Guerin, and he was Nicaraguan and Irish. Torres was Mexican.

We’re on to something here, but we should likely focus on the Finnish Line.

54. Professor Q says:

Pescador: Its actually Live and Let Die
    I thought you were the 5th Beatle?

Roger Moore?

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy v2.0: If EDM won the Cup I’d be deliriously happy and enjoy it to the hilt.We actually took Cup wins for granted when I was a teenager.

Man.

How will I feel about Pete if they win?

Not sure.

It would probably depend on what he did to help them win.

Which players were key to the win and did Pete bring them in?

I don’t think he survives that long though.

So, you’re saying you don’t think he lasts until June?

Signed, Incurable Optimist