Something Else

The Edmonton Oilers are 9-2-2 with Ken Hitchcock as coach, and the mind cannot resist wandering. Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Should you save your pennies for playoff tickets? If the Oilers lose tomorrow night in the shadow of Chilliwack, does it mean the beginning of the end? Does it mean two weeks until this blog’s first look at the 2019 draft? If Oilers fans find true hope, will the Hockey Gods punish them again?

The Oilers under Todd McLellan were a lot like the Kinks—plenty to like, but never the band you anticipate, never the group who produces that must-have album (they did, Something Else, but for some reason no one noticed). The Beatles were sunshine and good times, the Stones were the moon and all the things that happen at 3am. The Kinks? Neither fish nor foul. Just like the Oilers these many years, until Hitchcock, Koskinen and the rise of the post-game media avail.

Ken Hitchcock is giving this team a personality, giving the fans something to hold on to, and giving this organization a complete makeover. Ken Hitchcock makes sense. He’s cocaine verbal in a homogenized world. He delivers. Every damned time.

THE ATHLETIC

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: No. 7 prospect Winter 2018: Caleb Jones
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How the Oilers Alex Chiasson is able to maintain his scoring touch.
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi as an offensive player and what that tells us about his future with the Oilers.
  • Tyler Dellow: A look at which first lines are producing (and which ones aren’t) (Oilers content inside)
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Connor McDavid became the world’s fastest skater.
  • Lowetide: Contemplating Oilers roster changes as injured players prepare to return.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers are bending, but not breaking, in one-goal games under Ken Hitchcock.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect winter 2018: Cooper Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect winter 2018: Ethan Bear.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect winter 2018: Ryan McLeod.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect winter 2018: Tyler Benson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect winter 2018: Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect winter 2018: Evan Bouchard.

OILERS AFTER 33

• Oilers in 201514-17-2, 30 points; goal differential -13
  • Oilers in 2016: 16-12-5, 37 points; goal differential +4
  • Oilers in 2017: 14-17-2, 30 points; goal differential -9
  • Oilers in 2018: 18-12-3, 39 points; goal differential +4

The 2018 McDavids are now putting in a genuine effort in the race to be considered the best of His Oilers teams. Part of that is McDavid (on pace for 122 points, 48 goals) and part of it is the .930 train in goal, Mikko Koskinen. The current Oilers project to 82, 45-30-7, 97 points.

OILERS IN DECEMBER

• Oilers in December 2015: 6-2-0, 12 points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in December 2016: 3-2-3, nine points; goal differential 0
  • Oilers in December 2017: 5-3-0, 10 points; goal differential +7
  • Oilers in December 2018: 6-1-1, 13 points; goal differential +9

Whatever happens after this, I know, I know, we’ll never forget. The 2018 McDavid Oilers grabbed 13 of a possible 16 points, have three locks for the All-Star game (McDavid, Draisaitl, Koskinen) and a guy making less than $700,000 on pace for 35 goals.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• At home to: Vegas (Expected 0-1-0) Actual (1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Minnesota, Calgary (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • On the road to: Colorado,Winnipeg(Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-0-1)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, San Jose, Winnipeg (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 6-1-1, 13 points in eight games

Absolutely Sweet Marie in December, I estimated 15 points for the entire month and Edmonton is within two points after eight games. Six games left and this team has a chance to tear up the blacktop and push to the top of the division. No losing streaks, no less than zero. Just an entertaining three hours of hockey followed by the Answer Man in the postgame. Is Hitchcock available for financial planning, life advice and marriage counselling? What does he have to say about pipelines?

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Gravel-Jones went 11-10 in 10:51, 4-6 shots, no goals and 1-2 HDSC. Gravel stepped up, especially on the PK. Jones played a calm, controlled game in his debut, just one giveaway. Went 3-6- in 3:57 against Voracek-Couturier-Simmonds, 2-3 shots, no goals, 1-1 HDSC. I liked this pairing and believe they should stay together, maybe get more playing time.
  • Garrison-Benning were 5-7 in 11:19, 3-3 shots, 1-0 goals and 0-3 HDSC. This pairing posted 5-6 shots and 2-0 goals in the last two games. Unlikely combination, early results solid. Went 4-6 in 7:07 against the Couturier line, 1-0 goals and 1-2 HDSC.
  • Nurse-Larsson went 12-22 in 17:43, 7-12 shots, 2-1 goals and 1-7 HDSC. Larsson made a poor play on the GA (had the puck and didn’t get it out) but also scored and played a solid game. Nurse was also in photo on the goal but Larsson was a bigger factor. Hitchcock suggests Nurse gets better the more he plays, a wrinkle I had not heard before. Pairing is getting caved in shots and Corsi, that will need to change. Played four fewer minutes as a pair than the Winnipeg game. Went 6-9 in 7:52, 4-6 shots, 1-1 goals and 0-4 HDSC against JVR-Giroux-Konecny.
  • Mikko Koskinen stopped 29 of 30, .967. He’s fantastic.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Khaira-Nuge-Puljujarvi were 7-4 in 10:24, 4-2 shots, no goals and 2-1 in HDSC. Although they didn’t score, the line was a pain and I think it might have been the best game by the trio. Went 7-3 against Provorov, 4-1 shots and 2-1 HDSC. This is going to be a good line. Puljujarvi is now a man possessed on the forecheck, Hitchcock has gotten to him. Poor poor pitiful NHL blue, you have no idea what you’re in for over the next 15 winters.
  • Lucic-Spooner-Caggiula went 6-0 (Lucic, 4:49) and 8-4 (Caggiula, 7:28) on a line that finally appears to be finding the range. Lucic moving on to the line (it’s the No. 4 line) seemed to spark something and the results were solid. Went 4-4 in 3:52 against Hagg-Gudas. Milan’s passing is still erratic, but he has been throwing in some gems in the last 10 days.
  • Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian were 7-6 (Rieder, 6:25) and 8-13 (Kassian, 10:28). Line was 0-3 HDSC. Went 3-5 against Gostisbehere. Also saw a spike from the shuffle. Rieder is money on breakaways but forgot to pay the toll this time and whiffed on the chance. He’s back now, I believe.
  • Chiasson-McDavid-Draisaitl went 9-22 in 14:33, 5-15 shots, 2-1 goals and 0-8 HDSC. What a crazy night. Hahaha. Hockey is such a silly game. Line outscores team 2-1 and gives up tons of great chances but it doesn’t matter because hockey is going to hockey. Went 5-10 against Gostisbehere.

THE WHO, BY NUMBERS

• Connor McDavid is now tied for No. 2 in NHL scoring (32, 19-29-48).
  • Leon Draisaitl is now tied for No. 7 in NHL scoring (33, 16-26-42).
  • Alex Chiasson is now tied for No. 28 in goals (14).
  • Darnell Nurse is now tied for No. 20 among blue in even-strength points (13)
  • Mikko Koskinen’s .930 save percentage is No. 2 in the NHL.

332 Responses to "Something Else"

« Older Comments
  1. McSorley33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Never in the history of hockey have I seen an organization so concerned about a player (with no even strength goals ) feelings.

Yesterday, December 14th 2018 Milan Lucic was, finally, slotted in his proper role.

To be sure Hitch deserves credit for how he handled the demotion.

But, this move should have taken place a lot earlier.

Now, if you squint, Rieder, Brodziak, and Kassian may form an actual checking line.

2. who says:

OmJo: But why? Surely a proven NHL backup is less risky than an unproven KHL goaltender?

Talbot over the last 3 years
    15/16 .917, 2.55
    16/17 .919, 2.39
    17/18 .908, 3.02

Two good seasons, one poor season. So what is he? Under Hitchcock he is 0.912, 3.00. Massive improvement from under McLellan. He might not be able to be a 60-game starter but I don’t think 15/16 and 16/17 were flukes.

I see 1 good season in 4. Not a goaltender I want to hang my hat on. Given what we knew about Talbot I am comfortable with Chias “big gamble “.

3. Wonder Llama says:

Jethro Tull: The Cast Off Kinks still play at my mum and dad’s local pub in the UK.

Cool. Hope they’re still preserving those village greens!

4. silasbengtsson says:

OriginalPouzar: Jujhar Khaira was having a poor season with a couple of nice/solid games intertwined, however, since Hitchcock took over he has completely turned his season (and maybe his career around).

I’m not sure what Hitch said to him or if its simply a defined role or the overall team structure benefits JJ more, however, he is a completely different player. He is playing like a legit middle six winger night in and night out.His work in the offensive zone, creating turnovers, puck retrieval, board work and, yes, making nice passes, has been plus plus and its leading to possession and goals – just as the coach has advised will happen in his verbals.

Lets hope it continues for, well, forever – consistency has been a crutch for this young player.

I may be in the minority but I never really felt Khaira was having a bad season this year- even before Hitch. He was making some mistakes, but they weren’t egregious or regular enough to bother me. You could always see what he was trying to do when he made one and I was confident those things would work with even one better linemate and better structure (not Todd’s system of isolation).

I think what Hitch describes as ‘soft touches of the puck’ when he was discussing Draisaitl applies very aptly to Khaira as well- though to a lesser extent. He has a great mind for the game and his hands are capable of executing the small plays that are needed to get the puck both to safety or to a linemate in position to create offense. That’s part of why I think Drai has success with him on his flank; they approach the game similarly. If they know where they’d put the puck in any given situation, they know where the other would want them in said situation.

5. thehop says:

nelson88,

I’m interested in this player as well.

Math people: What are the fancy stats saying about Berglund?

Good fit for the bottom six with potential to play top six when needed.

I’d take a shot if Buffalo eats some salary, or take Lucic straight up.

Kinks needed to gather their best songs and put them on an album once a year. Instead, some of their truly amazing songs are obscure b-sides.

Gerta Rauss: wonderful

I know. Man, absolutely devastating song.

8. jtblack says:

who: He was unknown to you.
    Maybe he wasn’t unknown to your friend.
    An NHL GM relies on an army of scouts and contacts to make a decision like this.
    And yet a bunch of guys behind a keyboard look at Koskinens KHL save percentage and decide Chia has made a terrible mistake.
    Which party has the most information?

The party that had all the info on Griffin Reinhart …. They are the true winners …

9. OmJo says:

who,

Lmao. I owe you an apology. I responded to your post as frjohnk quoted it and he replaced Koskinen with Reinhart. I missed the “FTFY” part of his post.

My bad.

To answer your question though, I’ve given Chiarelli credit for Talbot, Maroon., Benning – who I like. I’ve eaten crow on Koskinen. A lot of it.

10. deardylan says:

LT, can i pay Kinger’s bond so he comes back again. Im 97% certain he will stick to Oilers blogosphere and not cross anymore lines.

11. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Surgery for Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom on his injured finger…out 6 to 8 weeks.

As per John Shannon’s twitter account

Woodguy v2.0:
    Surgery for Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom on his injured finger…out 6 to 8 weeks.

As per John Shannon’s twitter account

Bah!

13. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Surgery for Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom on his injured finger…out 6 to 8 weeks.

As per John Shannon’s twitter account

Certainly ramps up the pressure …. Guess Darnell will get 26+ mins per night!

Go Jones. Go Oilers.

14. OmJo says:

who: Well the way I see it is most NHL backups are failed starters. Which means you are counting on Talbot to carry the load . In 3 of his 4 seasons in Edmonton Talbot has been average to poor in the first half of each season. He has been good to great in the second half of each season.
    I see 1 good season in 4. Not a goaltender I want to hang my hat on. Given what we knew about Talbot I am comfortable with Chias“big gamble “.

My memory is foggy but I seem to recall most of the team starting slow under McLellan. Even McDavid started his seasons relatively “slow” and then went supernova in the second half of the past few seasons.

I was okay with the Koskinen signing. Better than the Gustavsson signing. Just a bit annoyed that it cost Brossoit, as I wasn’t really ready to give up on him yet.

Talbot isn’t a great starter but he was good enough to get us to a few competent NHL referees away from the WCF. IMO McLellan played him into the ground.

15. Wonder Llama says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Surgery for Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom on his injured finger…out 6 to 8 weeks.

As per John Shannon’s twitter account

I can never determine how much is bad lluck and how much is actual fragility.

16. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Surgery for Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom on his injured finger…out 6 to 8 weeks.

As per John Shannon’s twitter account

Why can’t we have nice things?

17. jtblack says:

Flames won this afternoon …….. Boooooooooooooo

deardylan:

The thing is, the internet is a wide open space, and I’m not asking for a lot. This is the Lowetide blog, we do have rules.

There have been times when very popular posters here have been asked to take their leave, and we move on. In fact, I can say without doubt that I miss most all of them, especially G Money, who made this place a grand visit, and DSF, who kept us all on our toes. I will especially miss Kinger, because he brought stunning humor and truly thoughtful prose most every day.

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

19. Wonder Llama says:

jtblack:
    Flames won this afternoon ……..Boooooooooooooo

Yeah, but against the Wild and in regulation. So Booooooourns!

20. Munny says:

Ideally I think the Oil try to get to the Xmas break without the need to activate Sekera, just to buy his Trojan Tendon a few more days off.

Also there’s possibly a Led Zeppelin song in our future.

21. jtblack says:

Lowetide: You know, I can’t tell you the number of truly cruel things that have been posted by others about me on this blog. That’s fine, you know it’s the internet and people are people. I had one person say “soon you’ll get diabetes and die you fat fuck” some time back, deleted that one, but mostly I let things go.

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

It’s your sandbox LT.

It’s our privilege to play in it.

Thank you for your daily commitment, your love of all things Oilers and for being an excellent person.

I have never met you, but do hope to one day when I make up to Edmonton.

22. JamesL says:

Wonder Llama,

I’d argue you can draw a direct line from The Kinks (post-Kink Kontroversy) to Madness to Blur. They all mined the same vein of music that was just a little TOO British for North America.

23. who says:

Lol.
    No worries and no apology necessary. Feel free to argue with me whenever the mood strikes.

24. Wonder Llama says:

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

You’ll always have it from me, my friend.

I think the first day I read Llowetide was the day of the camping box story. I’ve been hooked ever since.

You are greatly appreciated and an important part of so many people’s daily llives.

25. flyfish1168 says:

jtblack:
    Flames won this afternoon ……..Boooooooooooooo

No Bettman point so helps us

26. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Surgery for Oilers’ Oscar Klefbom on his injured finger…out 6 to 8 weeks.

As per John Shannon’s twitter account

27. frjohnk says:

Some good news.

Bouchard made WJ team.

28. who says:

OmJo: Fair enough. Curious which season is the “one good” on in your opinion? Considering the players in front of him in 15/16 I think he did a pretty good job in that season.

The playoff season he was pretty much good to great, start to finish. Lost the net for a month in that first season.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a strong second half again. Especially with a reduced workload.
    Just don’t want to commit starters money and term to him again.

29. stephen sheps says:

Lowetide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWoVnvl9aYc

this was the correct song choice to defend your position, LT.

I don’t think there’s another Townes song that could’ve said it better.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965:
    I think the team should make a hockey trade sooner than later. I’m not sure the team can make it to the trade deadline in a playoff spot. And I certainly don’t want to give up assets for a rental player. We need to make a real trade and get someone back with term.

Christmas in January!

31. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster:
    Chiasson must absolutely love his hockey life atm, first he wins a Stanley in a minor role, ends up in Edmonton as a pto, gets signed and suddenly finds himself with two of the best offensive players in the league. Talk about a nice couple of months to think back on after retirement.

I thought he would have slowed down by now but he makes do with that shot and ability to find good ice. His lack of hands and vision kills quite a few plays but as long he keeps producing, while working hard and retrieving pucks he’s more than fine as a place holder on that top line.

You aren’t wrong about his lack of hands and vision but we should note he showed some pretty good vision on the pass to McDavid for the winning goal against the flames.

32. defmn says:

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

Can’t disagree with any of this. I’ll miss Kinger but as others have said this is your blog and you have earned the respect you ask for. The community you have built around a passion for the Oilers is impressive – given the team’s performance over the years this blog has been running it is even more so.

Anyway, I thought I would stick my nose in and use this as an opportunity to thank you for your talent and tireless commitment to keeping the door to this place open.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Now does Matt Bennings GF% make him a top 4 dman in your eyes?
    Or were you just looking to start a discussion?

Neither really – was really just pointing out a positive stat on a player that is fairly often maligned.

Less on this platform than various others but there is a wide section of Oiler fans that believe he’s “terrible” or non an NHL player, etc. He has proven to be a very good 3rd pairing d-man throughout his young career.

No, I can’t say he’s a legit 2nd pairing guy, he’s struggled there in the past. At the same time, I do feel like that position isn’t out of his skillset and he can become a 2nd pairing guy (yes, I realize his age).

34. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Chiasson is a much more complete version of Maroon, and I doubt he will let his #McDraivid fueled heater go to his head come contract time, like it did for #theMarooned

We’ve seen this before.Blair McDonald, Dave Lumley, Warren Young, Rob Brown, etc.

Is Chiasson a more complete version of Maroon?

Aside from the PK, which I believe is a new role for Chiasson, what does he bring that Maroon doesn’t?

I’m not sure he’s a better skater and he’s definitely not as good as Maroon on the boards in the offensive zone and with puck retrieval. I believe Maroon has “softer hands” and is a better passer.

Different type of player – Chiasson can find the soft areas and shoot whereas Maroon was able to time his arrival at the net for his goals and added puck retrieval and, of course, a presence.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Bos8:
    Actually I like this team just fine.With Pulju improving, the top three lines are set.Rieder with Brodziak and Kassian is a revelation.

With Bouchard and McLeod coming next year, the pipeline is primed.I can’t see either one spending more than half a season in the AHL.

McLeod could need a year plus of development time in the AHL and that should be expected for a second round pick. Expecting a second round pick to start in the NHL in his draft plus 2 year is a bit unrealistic in my mind.

Benson and Marody will be battling with McLeod for prospect graduation roster spots – both having played a year of pro.

Bouchard will have a swath of d-men that all are on the cusp of NHL readiness – Jones, Bear, Persson, Lagesson, Berglund.

Starting next year we should have MANY NHL-ready or close to NHL-ready prospects in the AHL – there should be fantastic depth of talent for injury cover.

36. Oiler_Kiwi97 says:

I don’t post much but have followed Lowetide since the HF Boards days with Red Twilight RIP. This blog has been my artery into the heart of Oilers fandom for years. I do have a problem with anyone that upsets our host here. Everyone can be a keyboard warrior but this is not the place you are welcome imo. Think before you hit the submit button.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Alpine:
    One thing I’ll caution with Koskinen is his how many games he’s played per season. The high water mark for him is 49 GP in the SM-Liiga a few years ago. He’s played 40ish games two more times, and played under 30 games in a few more separate seasons.

So he might not be a 60 or 50 game guy because he’s never been one at the pro level. However he might not be burnt out from playing too much in his 20s, so maybe he can adjust to a higher workload over time.

I have been concerned about the same thing although, to be fair, his international games should be included in his overall games played.

This is a main reason why I am generally against a growing segment of the fan base that wants to trade Talbot. Shit, Koskinen has already showed signs of fatigue, during the Avs game (and no I won’t just chalk it up to the thin air).

I believe that what Hitch has said about the two goalies is correct and very important for this team’s success.

Of course, Koskinen is the man right now but I’m thinking a 65/35 or 70/30 type split. We do have the benefit of having an elite back-up in Talbot that can win or steal a game on any given night. If Talbot is traded we are looking at starting Koskinen for 85% of the games – I can’t imagine that would be a good thing.

We may even need both in the playoffs, if we are there, its such a grind.

We aren’t going to get a plus player straight up for the UFA goalie – to me, the plus of a Talbot trade would be cap space to acquire a rental – we will have limited space at the deadline this year.

Its likely much too risky.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

kgo:
    I wonder if we see a flurry of extensions after Jan 1, when 1 year guys are eligible….Koskinen, Chiasson, Gravel, Reider…..what are reasonable extensions here?

Koskinen : $4.5M x 3
    Chiasson : $2M x 3
    Gravel : $1.8M x 2
    Reider : $2.4 x 3

I’ll hang up and listen.

None of those are egregious but all of them are higher than I’d want.

I wouldn’t sign that Chiasson contract and that is a large commitment to Koskinen given sample size.

Rieder will be an RFA so there is less rush and that $400K raise for a player with zero goals……

39. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: I thought it was 14 days.

I stand corrected, thank you.

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning
    Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen
    (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to
    investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the
    Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan
    to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such
    disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during
    the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be
    entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

————————————-

Lets not forget, when on a conditioning stint the player still counts to towards the active NHL roster so its also effectively reducing our roster size to 22 while he’s on loan.

40. Jethro Tull says:

No mockery. Meeting LT and talking hockey and shite for an hour is on my bucket list. In fact, meeting fellow Lowetidians is also pretty high up there.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk:
    Some good news.

Bouchard made WJ team.

The only real question for Bouchad is if he’ll be wearing a C or an A…

42. kgo says:

OriginalPouzar: Neither are a lock to make the team next year – although we know they will probably have Bouchard penciled in.

43. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack:
    Flames won this afternoon ……..Boooooooooooooo

But MIN lost in regulation and they’re in the Wildcard fight with EDM so a small “yay”

Note: my phone changed wildcard to wildcat….i don’t mind that

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bos8:
    Hitch has stated many times that in the west you need two goalies to split the load.

The best part of that Hitch quote was him relating that he’s run goalies ragged in the past and learned his lesson.

Love that EDM has a head coach that never stops learning.

Clare Drake forever and ever.

45. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: But MIN lost in regulation and they’re in the Wildcats fight with EDM so a small “yay”

More like”ugh, can’t they both lose? Bettman can rig it for both teams to win, ffs.”

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

McSorley33:
    Bag of Pucks,

To be sure Hitch deserves credit for how he handled the demotion.

But, this move should have taken place a lot earlier.

I honestly think the concern wasn’t feelings but trade value.

I still think that there’s a market for Lucic is EDM holds $3MM and adds a sweetner.

Hbomb thought Lucic and a 2nd while holding $3MM for a 7th is possible and I agree.

Far superior to buying him out imo.

I’m still on team “wait for the amnesty buyouts with the next CBA in 2020”

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

It’s very smart imo and a great use for older goalies who can still play at a high level with a smaller workload.

48. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OmJo: Why can’t we have nice things?

We’re Oiler fans

49. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909:
    Just wondering…

People like to say what a good coach McLellan was. What exactly was good about him?

He understands the game. But these days being a motivator is as much or more important. All high level coaches get the Xs and Os. I think TMac will adjust what he does as Hitchcock did, especially with a break now, time to reflect. You have to evolve with the times as we all do.

It’s hard to strike the balance between task master as PC called Hitchmas and players being comfortable. The Oilers look more relaxed, seem happier AND are working harder than I’ve seen in years.

Good on the geezer:)

50. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar,

I thought it was 14 days as well and just did a little digging-from the waivers section of capgeek

Exemptions
    -A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)
    -A player whom consented to a Conditioning Loan can be Loaned to a minor league club for a maximum of 14 days without passing through waivers. CBA Reference 13.8
    -A player whom was previously on long-term injured reserve (LTIR), may be loaned to a minor league club for a maximum of 6 days or 3 games for the purpose of determining if the player is fit to play. This player does not need to pass through waivers. CBA Reference 13.9

So it’s 6 days/3 games for Sekera, if he agrees to go to Bako

51. treevojo says:

Lowetide: I had one person say “soon you’ll get diabetes and die you fat fuck” some time back, deleted that one, but mostly I let things go.

Note to self.

Mr. Lowetide wants stevia cookies for Christmas not sugar cookies.

52. Woodguy v2.0 says:

thehop:
    nelson88,

I’m interested in this player as well.

Math people: What are the fancy stats saying about Berglund?

Good fit for the bottom six with potential to play top six when needed.

I’d take a shot if Buffalo eats some salary, or take Lucic straight up.

Wilde had a great post on that yesterday: https://lowetide.ca/2018/12/14/game-33-2018-19-flyers-at-oilers/comment-page-1/#comment-793670

53. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wonder Llama: Dammit. Every year it seems between Klef and Sekera we’re llucky to get one whole season combined.

I can never determine how much is bad lluck and how much is actual fragility.

With Klef is always something different and nothing re-occuring like a pubis thing.

Knees and shoulders are the things to worry the most about with hockey players. He had a shoulder thing, but not since. *crosses fingers*

Let’s just hope he doesn’t contract typhoid or whatever while his fingers heal.

I’m cautiously optimistic about Seksey as his knee, which is the big injury, had had a ton of time to heal.

54. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar: They are getting a top 4 d-man for free some time in January – no acquisition cost and his cap hit is already being included.

Christmas in January!

And why wouldn’t you sign Chiasson at $2m. I know he may regress/revert but if he’s still playing well by late Jan I think we should sign him. Then in the summer try and trade Kass.

55. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wonder Llama: You’ll always have it from me, my friend.

Camping box story is incredible.

56. Woodguy v2.0 says:

flyfish1168: Coming back after even at 8 weeks I can’t see Oscar being effective taking a slapshot. His PP effectiveness will be limited.

I think the PP will benefit from having someone else play his spot.

My vote is for RNH in that spot and another RHS in RNH’s spot.

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Is Chiasson a more complete version of Maroon?

Maroon was great at banging in loose pucks at the net.

58. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy v2.0: Maroon was great at banging in loose pucks at the net.

Woodguy v2.0: I honestly think the concern wasn’t feelings but trade value.

Far superior to buying him out imo.

I’m still on team “wait for the amnesty buyouts with the next CBA in 2020”

Agreed.

60. who says:

Woodguy v2.0: There is a trend for NHL backups to be “old starters” when a team is locked into their starter line ANA with Gibson and Miller and BOS with Rask and Halak.

Good point.
    For this to work, and older starter would have to accept a lesser role. And probably a lot less money.

61. pts2pndr says:

True but he should be well rested for the playoffs!🙄

62. Woodguy v2.0 says:

McNuge93: OP, we are hoping he will be recovered and be a top 4 again. Last year when he came back head to very good.

And why wouldn’t you sign Chiasson at $2m.I know he may regress/revert but if he’s still playing well by late Jan I think we should sign him. Then in the summer try and trade Kass.

You are wary of Chiasson because while he is producing well, it’s at a 30% SH% and he’s a career 13% shooter.

You may also want another player with a higher offensive acumen in that spot and then that line could be the best in the leauge.

Right now there are a few lines producing more than that line and 97-29 should be THE BEST imo.

63. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

jtblack: It’s your sandbox LT.

It’s our privilege to play in it.

I have never met you, but do hope to one day when I make up to Edmonton.

64. Pescador says:

kgo: With this much D depth, we will almost certainly be offloading Russel or Sekera this coming summer…Those 2 contracts will look a lot sweeter after July 1st 2019, both become trade-able, Russel’s back dives hard…..Thank Christ Seattle couldn’t get their arena renovations together in time for 20-21….

Wishful thinking IMO,
    It’s far from a guarantee that Sekera & Russell will be offloaded.
    Russell will still carry a cap hit of $4M, his limited trade clause might be filled with teams that have zero cap space.
    Do we know that all 10 teams want & or need Russell?
    The last time I watched Sekera play in the NHL he was at about a Healthy Scatch level.
    Any expectation that Sekera will be holding down a spot in the top 4 upon returning is not realistic to me.
    Hope I am wrong.

65. Pescador says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Couldn’t agree more. This is the only blog of any kind I follow. I don’t post every day but I log in and read the comments every day. Not sure what I would do if this went away and I really don’t want to think too hard on it. Thank you LT, and thank you to everyone here that makes this place something truly special.

Well said DSF!
    +1000

66. CallighenMan says:

Gerta Rauss,

Gerta Rauss:
    OriginalPouzar,

Exemptions

So it’s 6 days/3 games for Sekera, if he agrees to go to Bako

I interpret that as both being possible: 6 days/3games to see if he can play without pain, for example; and 14 days for conditioning if he agrees to the loan.

(edited for ipad-handedness)

67. Gerta Rauss says:

CallighenMan,

could be

I’d have to read all of section 13.9 in the CBA to see if there is anything we’ve overlooked- if I get motivated maybe I’ll do that and report back

68. Bos8 says:

As you know I’m. very high on both Benson and Marody. But the kiss of death in the modern NHL is 6’ 185 and average skater. Benson is a great passer, Marody a hellacious puck distributor but skating is suspect as is D. Those are McLeod’s strengths. All three are auditioning for the bottom six. The road to the final leads through Calgary and Winnipeg, need both, McLeod and Bouchard, to come into their milk. (Oil Patch ref)

69. OriginalPouzar says:

We’ll see with Sekera – lets not forget how darn good he is when healthy – sure, we don’t know the level of health and performance we’ll see but we very well could be getting a very good 2nd pairing d-man.

While all those prospects I listed are on the cusp of NHL readiness (at least I think they are), I would say that only Bouchard is one that could be projected with some level of certainty higher than the third pair at evens and, of course, that won’t be for a few years.

While, lets just, Jones and Bouchard may prove truly ready for the NHL next year, I doubt either would be truly ready to play in the top 4 and we still have a hole there.

Andrej Sekera is a top 4 dman.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:

I am so not on board on adding a 2nd round pick if $3M is being retained.

$3M and a material sweetner? No thanks – I’ll keep the player for now.

71. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think the PP will benefit from having someone else play his spot.

My vote is for RNH in that spot and another RHS in RNH’s spot.

Yes! They need a rhs there
    How about chaisson to the side and JP to front of net?

72. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss:
    OriginalPouzar,

Exemptions

So it’s 6 days/3 games for Sekera, if he agrees to go to Bako

Yes and no – those are two different situations.

Pursuant to Section 13.8, they can activate Sekera and then he can go (if he consents) to the AHL on a conditioning stint for up to 14 days – he will count against the 23 man roster during this time.

Separately, pursuant to Section 13.9, while Sekera is still on LTIR, in order to see if he’s physically ready to be active, with his consent, he can got down for 6 days (or 3 games) while still remaining on LTIR.

I guess, technically, they could do both, back to back, 6 days to see if he’s ready and, if he is, activate him and then send him down (if he consents) for the true conditioning stint.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, he came back and wasn’t very good but that was 100% expected and I remain somewhat boggled that many were surprised by it. It is widely accepted that, while NHL players can often get back in to games 6-8 months after the major ligament and meniscus surgery, they won’t get back to close to full healthy and ability for a good 12-18 months. For one, the brace is highly mobility limiting but, also, given the nature of the game, its a trust thing with the knee (mental) and strengthening it in hockey situations – skating and hockey is all about quick movements.

Prior to hurting the achilllies, Sekera was essentially past that 18 months, had a full summer to train on a healthy knee and was ready to go.

While an achillies tear (not rupture) is a major injury, generally NHL players are able to come back from it and regain form quickly. Its simply a different type of injury than the knee.

While, of course, I have concern about the back to back nature of the two injuries, I do not anticipate we’ll see his game at the low level it was last year.

I could be wrong but the knee shouldn’t be a big issue at this point.

74. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar,

thx

edit* -if they opt for option 2 (6 days) and Sekera is technically on LTIR, does he count against the 23 man roster..?

You would think he wouldn’t count against the active roster if he’s not active

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Oh, and with re-signing Chiasson, he has gone on goal scoring heaters before – sure, they haven’t lasted this long but I think we need to “calm our tits” on re-signing the player to anything starting with a “2” or any term longer than 1 year.

He’s been a god-send but this isn’t a 23 year old prospect finding his game – this is a late 20s player that is shooting 30% – he’s been extremely valuable but in no way do I give him term.

I COULD justify $2M for 1 year if he continues to produce at reduced but solid levels for another good stretch.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss:
    OriginalPouzar,

thx

You would think he wouldn’t count against the active roster if he’s not active

77. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar: Nope, Section 13.9 is express, he continues to be on LTIR and not included on the 23 man roster max.

edit* – I think the league has some say in when/if a player is assigned to a conditioning stint, so the league may determine which option the Oilers exercise

78. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: I am so not on board on adding a 2nd round pick if $3M is being retained.

$3M and a material sweetner?No thanks – I’ll keep the player for now.

That’s not tempting for you? Considering expansion; future RFA situations?

It’s been four years since the 2014 draft, guys are 22 and that’s a pretty healthy amount of time to make judgements. In the middle 10 of the 2nd round (selections #40 through #50) there’s 53 combined NHL GP and 8 combined NHL points. There’s probably three guys with a shot.

I think it’s more risky to retain Lucic, when many ELC guys will be playing with the NHL’s current 2nd and 8th leading scorers over the years between now and 2023. There’ll be nothing to complain about if, say, Maksimov scores 50 goals on his ELC and Evan Bouchard torches the planet on the powerplay through his, but it’d be a damn shame to have to trade one of our good players as a result.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with an assist on an empty net goal.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss: that would seem to be the play imo unless Reggie feels he needs more than 6 days in California

I think the league will allow for application of each Section without investigation unless it seems like something is fishy which it shouldn’t.

The 3 game (6 day) trial, while still on LTIR, to see if the player is healthy, can be extended with the agreement of the commissioner’s office for a couple of games.

81. tileguy says:

Is Rattie done as an Oiler?

82. Scungilli Slushy says:

I’ll be surprised if Reg goes to the AHL. He’ll practice with them and start 3rd pairing when he’s ready to get his wind. Doesn’t happen much high level vets to the AHL for game shape. Although he said he would, classy.

tileguy:
    Is Rattie done as an Oiler?

I don’t think so, but he’s at the end of the roster and needs to force his way into the lineup.

84. Scungilli Slushy says:

One goes for sure, maybe both. Although they may value what Russell does and keep them both if they can’t trade Seksy. It’s the Oilers, we hoped for the best…..

85. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde: That’s not tempting for you? Considering expansion; future RFA situations?

86. YKOil says:

Scungilli Slushy: I think players in his position should take the best contract if he can get one, his time in the league is tenuous. He’s also likely to get bumped off the top line with all the talented wingers coming up soon, then what? It’s different for vets that have banked lots.

Agreed, took a look at his career earnings:

_800,000
    _900,000
    _900,000
    1.200,000
    _900,000
    _660,000
    _650,000

He’s going to take the biggest contract he can. That said, I think he is a player and I love the way he plays.

87. Scungilli Slushy says:

YKOil: Agreed, took a look at his career earnings:

_800,000
    _900,000
    _900,000
    1.200,000
    _900,000
    _660,000
    _650,000

He’s going to take the biggest contract he can.That said, I think he is a player and I love the way he plays.

Yes he’s been good. If read somewhere player’s only bank 50% after agent, escrow and taxes. Not what most here make and not enough to hit the golf course full time 😀

88. OriginalPouzar says:

Josh Currie from Bear and Marody gives the Condors a 1-0 lead.

Dylan Wells has been recalled from the ECHL and is given the start – he’s stopped all 12 shots with 5 to go in the 2nd.

Montoya not dressed.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like its only one finger that is broken for Klef – the left pink – broken bones though, plural.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Retention of $3M should be plenty – adding a sweetener is just egregious.

If a roster spot is required for an exploding player on their ELC, well, they can always send someone like Caggiula, Rattie, Kassian, etc. to the AHL or trade them for a non-roster player.

91. Woodguy v2.0 says:

who: Good point.
    For this to work,and older starter would have to accept a lesser role. And probably a lot less money.

Miller puts up similar (better actually, but ANA has good D) results as a back up (SV% wise) as he did when he made $6MM and $6.5MM as a starter for 8 years.

Made $2MM last year and $2MM this year and is FA.

Wonder if he’d workfor that much for EDM?

92. anduril says:

I’m wondering if Burakovsky would be a good trade target. Top 6 potential. Feel like he and Rieder and Draisaitl could form a good line.

93. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy: First and second round picks are now life blood for the Oilers. They should be certain if they move them they are getting a young under term contributor back, or the cap will crush them. It’s always important butmore now as the core is becoming established.

Gaining cap space is a way to retain young contributors

OriginalPouzar:
    Retention of $3M should be plenty – adding a sweetener is just egregious.

This doesn’t make sense. What small deals have resulted in uneven cap assets to the tune of 3Mx5?

Is there precedent for a sweetener-less cap dump? If so, does the contract traded compare to Lucic’s current deal? AFAIK, almost every deal involving monied players moving that isn’t a blockbuster consists of even salary going both ways or legit sweeteners.

Last summer moving Steve Mason’s 4.1AAV x 2y (with no bonuses, easy buyout) cost the Jets Armia (25yo oversized, plus two-way middle-six winger), a 4th, and a 7th.

The buyout resulted in a cap hit of 1.336 for 2 years.

Contrasting that with the cap burden a trade partner takes on in our scenario, 3.000 for four more years after this, I think there’s no way simply trading Milan Lucic at half retained for nothing is ‘plenty’ in a league where cap dumps never happen for free

94. anduril says:

anduril:

He also played with McDavid in Erie. Seems like he’s fallen out of favour in Washington (Sportsnet) and might be had for a reasonable price.

95. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde: Gaining cap space is a way to retain young contributors

This doesn’t make sense. What small deals have resulted in uneven cap assets?

The buyout resulted in a cap hit of 1.336for 2 years.

Yup, my point being as we know players on ELcs and first RFA contracts that can contribute (most often first and second rounders) help keep the expensive players until someone makes sense to move

96. 719 says:

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

I do not post very often, even though I read everyday. This one hit close to home. We lost my dad this year because of diabetes complications (far too early and the loss is felt everyday). That someone would wish this upon you due to a hockey blog is incomprehensible to me. It is not something that I would wish on my worst enemy.

Thank you for continuing to do what you do Mr. Babkooooook (one of my favourite Lowetide stories). You are a gentleman and a scholar.

97. anduril says:

719: I do not post very often, even though I read everyday.This one hit close to home.We lost my dad this year because of diabetes complications (far too early and the loss is felt everyday). That someone would wish this upon you due to a hockey blog is incomprehensible to me.It is not something that I would wish on my worst enemy.

Thank you for continuing to do what you do Mr. Babkooooook (one of my favourite Lowetide stories).You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Hear hear!!

98. who says:

Woodguy v2.0: Miller puts up similar (better actually, but ANA has good D) results as a back up (SV% wise)as he did when he made $6MM and $6.5MM as a starter for 8 years.

Made $2MM last year and $2MM this year and is FA.

Wonder if he’d workfor that much for EDM?

He’d be perfect with Koskinen and 2 million is reasonable but didn’t he pick Southern California cause his wife wanted to be an actress or some damm thing?

I can never determine how much is bad lluck and how much is actual fragility.

Klefbom’s injuries, like Pitlick’s, are mostly just bad luck.

jtblack:
    Flames won this afternoon ……..Boooooooooooooo

But they beat Minnesota in regulation. Yea!

101. OriginalPouzar says:

Dylan Wells with a 27 save shutout in his 2nd ever AHL game for his first win.

Condors win 1-0.

102. Professor Q says:

This Browns team is so infuriating and extremely fun to watch.

Mayfield and Co. breaking negative streaks and positive records by the game.

In many respects, they are the Oilers of the NFL.

103. Reja says:

I don’t buy this scheduled night loss. How do I find winning percentage of road teams on a non back to back and on a back to back and three games in four nights.

Gerta Rauss: I hope Maroon is on Chia’s radar-St Loo appears to be in distress and would be a nice fit for little expense. I bet Maroon would be willing to waive his NTC as well given the state of that team at the moment

Lucic has Maroon’s spot. You can only have one of them. You can’t have two big slow left wings, neither of whom is particularly good defensively, and neither of who can PK. Plus, Jujhar is arriving as we speak.

The Oilers will be running Draisaitl, Khaira, and Rieder as the top three left wings.

105. Reja says:

Professor Q:
    This Browns team is so infuriating and extremely fun to watch.

Mayfield and Co. breaking negative streaks and positive records by the game.

In many respects, they are the Oilers of the NFL.

I’ve been a Browns fan since the cardiac kid days they finally have a Franchise QB. That was a crazy fourth down gamble he’s lucky the defense bailed him out.

106. thehop says:

Professor Q,

Been saying that for years

Glad to see others come around

tileguy:
    Is Rattie done as an Oiler?

No, because Caggiula. But maybe, because Caggiula is signed to another year. Spooner has another year. Kassian has another year. Chiasson is filling the net. And Puljujarvi is on the verge.
    And Rieder is just flat out better.

Made $2MM last year and $2MM this year and is FA.

Wonder if he’d workfor that much for EDM?

Miller wanted to play in California for family reasons. He wouldn’t play for that in Edmonton. He has a great gig behind Gibson. Why would he leave?

109. slopitch says:

I agree that the oilers should br creative in its efforts to move Lucic. Id package a 2nd to get it done as well. They need to be opportunistic while still playing for 2020. If there is an opportunity to add Parayko (the oilers franchise historically trades well with the Blues) or move Lucic i think any time is good.

As for keeping the powder dry so to speak i dont know if id ever move a 1st for a rental. The next 10 games will be big to see if the last 10 was real or a heater. Even then id like to have confidence the oilers are in the elite tier before buying and id still never mivd a 1st for a rental. A 1st for parayko (assuming other pieces are included to get thd oilers under the cap)? Sure.

But a team with McDavid, Drai, Nuge and goatending? Thats a tough out.

110. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10: Lucic has Maroon’s spot.You can only have one of them. You can’t have two big slow left wings, neither of whom is particularly good defensively, and neither of who can PK. Plus, Jujhar is arriving as we speak.

meh

The team did alright in 16/17 with both Maroon and Lucic in the lineup

With the likes of Zykov and Rattie on the current active roster I’d find a sweater for Maroon if he was available

111. jm363561 says:

Wonder Llama: You’ll always have it from me, my friend.

100%

112. Glovjuice says:

Munny: I can listen to Give the People What they Want all the way through, no problem.Low Budget too.

The problem with popular music of course is that it all comes down to personal taste.I mean, LT likes Country AND Western.That’s just nuts.

Around the Dial and Destroyer were on heavy rotation for me walking to Junior High with my ghetto blaster back in the day. Wicked songs.

113. kgo says:

I can never determine how much is bad lluck and how much is actual fragility.

114. Suntory Hanzo says:

I’m not sure if you can track the effect, but the Kinks were banned from touring the states from ’65-’69 I believe. Something to do with a trade union. Thats a pretty major hit at the prime of the British Invasion successes.

115. Yegfoundation says:

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

I support and respect your decision to move on from Kingwr. Reading his posts comments that were directed at you made me uncomfortable and they were inappropriate. I appreciate the respectful and inviting environment you’ve created within this community.

116. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar: Nope, not tempting with a new CBA about to be negotiated and amnesty buyouts likely negotiated and even, if not, I’d rather buy him out on the even of expansion if he won’t waive.

Retention of $3M should be plenty – adding a sweetener is just egregious.

OP: a question for you please.

Following his July 1st, 2019 bonus Lucic will be owed an average of $4 million x 4 years.
    How could the Oilers retain $3 million in a trade ? I thought the maximum retained salary was 50%.

If i’m right, the Oilers could retain a max of 1/3rd of his $6 cap hit or $2/year. The acquiring team would get Lucic for 4 years at a cap hit of $4 and an average cost of $2. Surely someone would find Lucic useful on those terms without a sweetener. BTW, i am strongly against a sweetener except possibly a 6th/7th round pick.

Or am i wrong ?

117. oilersfan says:

When Gaudreau broke his fingers two years ago they said he would be out for 6-8 weeks and he was back in 3 weeks with some extra padding in his gloves. Isn’t 2 months a bit much for a broken pinky ?

118. Gerta Rauss says:

RonnieB,

OP won’t be out a of bed for a couple hours so if I may:

You are correct, the max allowed retained in a transaction is 50%- I think the confusion is in the terminology we’re using

50% of his AAV is $3M a year-this is his cap hit and where the $3M figure being discussed comes from

As for the money remaining over the final 4 years-the math gets tricky because of the signing bonuses, but after the July 1 signing bonus is paid, the Oilers would be on the hook the 50% of the remaining money owed.

But you raise a good point, are the Oilers responsible for 50% of any signing bonuses remaining, or just the salary remaining (I think it includes bonuses, but I could be wrong) ie:the Oilers would pay for 50% of all monies remaining

At any rate, the discussion is centered around the cap hit retained by the Oilers, and that would be $3M a year, every year

The remaining dollars owed would fluctuate each year, but it would average $2M a year(ie: his cap hit would be higher each year than the money owed)

119. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan,

OP mentioned above that Klef broke just one finger, but broke it in multiple places, so maybe the severity of the breaks resulted in the timeline

But I’m not a doctor, just a network administrator*

*Dr McCoy voice

120. Oz says:

I am a person. I ask respect. When it does not come, we move on.

Respect. Please and thanks.

Thanks LT for hosting this blog in the manner you do.
    Really enjoy posting my random nonsensical views on all things oilers without prejudice.
    Also quodos to other posters who give opposing points of view in a respectful manner.
    Love the stat contributors, not that I am one, but their is value in stats😎
    Edit: one more point when I read the blog it is if I am sitting across from the poster shooting the shit …. love that

121. Wonder Llama says:

kgo: I can assure you the average human finger will fracture when hit by 6 ounces of vulcanized rubber going 100+ kph….nothing fragile about Oscar on this one.

Can’t argue with that.

122. 106 and 106 says:

Scungilli Slushy,

That cant be right. They lose 50% to agent and then 40% on taxes?

Wheres your source?

An agents fees have to be 10-12%, not 50%.

123. 106 and 106 says:

Respect for you and the community that is here, LT.

Sorry you have to take this shit from people but the vast majority of us have serious respect for you and this place. Especially us ex-edmontonians who come here to remind us of home.

124. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Yes! They need a rhs there
    How about chaisson to the side and JP to front of net?

That’s probably a good idea

125. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: Miller wanted to play in California for family reasons. He wouldn’t play for that in Edmonton.He has a great gig behind Gibson.Why would he leave?

I have no idea what motivates Miller, that’s why I’m “wondering”

I wonder how much retiring with a Cup means to him?

126. treevojo says:

106 and 106:
    Scungilli Slushy,

That cant be right. They lose 50% to agent and then 40% on taxes?

Wheres your source?

An agents fees have to be 10-12%, not 50%.

50% total including taxes, fees and escrow was the way I read it.

127. Woodguy v2.0 says:

106 and 106:
    Scungilli Slushy,

That cant be right. They lose 50% to agent and then 40% on taxes?

Wheres your source?

An agents fees have to be 10-12%, not 50%.

I think he was saying “totals to ~50%” not 50% + 40%.

Agent fees are around 2-3% for contracts and more for endorsements.

128. Soup Fascist says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think he was saying “totals to ~50%” not 50% + 40%.

Agent fees are around 2-3% for contracts and more for endorsements.

I agree he was saying 50% total is deducted, but that doesn’t quite cover it.

NHL escrow starts at 15% – last year I believe it was 18% that comes off the top so on $1MM bucks you start at $820K.

From that $820K:

Marginal tax rate in Alberta 48% for provincial / fed taxes
    Agent is typically 3-5% depending how contract is structured – call it 4%
    These guys still pay EI / CPP though it is capped so % wise it’s not a lot
    Typically these guys insure their careers for injury – if anyone has disability insurance at work, it isn’t cheap, at a minimum I would expect 2%.
    Add in NHLPA fees and incidentals- say 1% which is likely light.

So off the $820K that is 55% deducted. So money in the jeans is $369K from a million dollar cheque. I am not an accountant (or an architect for that matter) and may be skipping some of the finer points, but I think this is reasonably close.

I am not saying we should be holding a tag day for these guys – it is a pretty nice gig. But a million bucks doesn’t go as far as it used to (offered without political comment – sort of).

129. Scungilli Slushy says:

treevojo: 50% total including taxes, fees and escrow was the way I read it.

Morning folks
    Yes 50% total. It was I believe from The Player’s Tribune piece by Clune – I have hockey so can’t track it ATM

130. pts2pndr says:

oilersfan:

You look much smarter to use worst case scenario and plan for same!

131. CallighenMan says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes and no – those are two different situations.

That is what I meant … either or both.

« Older Comments