Higher Ground

Since we have a few minutes, I thought it might be an idea to have a conversation about quality of prospects. For instance, while we all have our favourites, how many current Oilers prospects (eligible for the Calder) can be considered locks for NHL careers? How many would be considered ‘unavailable at any price’ by the team? My guess is one.

At the NHL level, Edmonton has a rather large list of forwards (and some blue) who are trying to get established as NHL players. I’m not talking about Jesse Puljujarvi or Caleb Jones, I’m talking older men like Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira, Matt Benning and Valentin Zykov. We usually ask ourselves ‘who will emerge from this group as a bona fide NHL player?’ but the better question might be ‘are any of these prospects actually good enough to survive in the NHL for 500 games?’ For me, the answer among Oilers hopefuls is mostly no, and a large reason why we are here.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Total recall—Who should be next on the Bakersfield-to-Edmonton shuttle?
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers’ Rattie still figuring out how to play for new-old coach Ken Hitchcock.
  • Lowetide: No. 8 prospect Winter 2018: Kirill Maksimov.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Condors coach Jay Woodcroft has a lifetime of hockey knowledge to share and the notebooks to prove it.
  • Jonathan Willis: The Ryan Spooner for Ryan Strome trade has yet to pay dividends for the Edmonton Oilers.
  • Lowetide: Ken Hitchcock, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and finding that elusive perfect fit on the Oilers No. 2 line.
  • Jonathan Willis: Milan Lucic should not be an everyday player for the Edmonton Oilers.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 7 prospect Winter 2018: Caleb Jones
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect winter 2018: Cooper Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect winter 2018: Ethan Bear.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect winter 2018: Ryan McLeod.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect winter 2018: Tyler Benson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect winter 2018: Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect winter 2018: Evan Bouchard.

The Oilers will spend Christmas in the playoffs! In 2016, the team was in second place in the Pacific on Christmas morning, one point behind San Jose. Last year? Sixth in the Pacific. This is progress and a little luck, I’m sure Oilers fans will take it.

RUE THE POO

In March of 2008, I wrote the following about young Oilers prospect Marc Pouliot:

• He has some traction again as an NHL player (he must love spring) and may have done enough in the last 13 games since his callup (1-5-6, +5) to be considered in the mix for the big club next season. In his brief NHL career (76gp, 6-12-18) he has not established himself as an offensive option worthy of minutes on the skill lines but seems to have found a role on the 3/4 lines by doing the right things and playing a more physical game.
  • Pouliot has had a nice AHL career (this would have to be considered less than a compliment since these guys don’t want to have AHL careers) including being a very valuable rookie for Hamilton in 05-06. Here, let’s run his AHL seasons:
  • 05-06 (age 20) 65gp, 15-30-45 -7 .692ppg
  • 06-07 (age 21) 33gp, 14-17-31 -2 .939ppg
  • 07-08 (age 22) 50gp, 20-22-42 -9 .840ppg

We didn’t have access at that time, but the Pouliot 2007-08 NHL numbers were good. Here’s a ‘modern’ view on an old timey season from a distant Oilers draft pick (numbers via NaturalStatTrick).

That’s a solid player card, but he lacks offense and MAP was a first-round selection. At the time of his draft (2003), the Oilers were still ensconced in an era of drafting mediocre offensive players (the “in search of MacT” years). Pouliot was 22 that season and spent most of the season in the minors after splitting 2006-07 between the AHL and NHL.

He didn’t make it, for all kinds of reasons, and there is evidence both prospect and team contributed to the eventuality. Pouliot’s offensive ability was shy, the Oilers continued drafting that way for the rest of the decade and into the next.

This is Caggiula in 2016-17, also 22. Although he isn’t a perfect comp for Pouliot, he once again points out the lack of offensive ability in the Oilers young hires. It’s a thing. Caggiula is a lesser possession player than Pouliot at the same age, so Pouliot (in my opinion) is a better prospect at 22 (even before we discuss McDavid’s zooms).

Here’s the thing, though. Caggiula is one of the Oilers most successful young scorers, averaging 14.29 goals per 82 games. He’s bested men like Anton Slepyshev, Iiro Pakarinen, Anton Slepyshev, Valentin Zykov in his Oilers seasons.

I’ve been thinking about the Oilers and offense this week. The assumption is ‘well, they have finally figured out how to draft skill’ and maybe that’s true, but even when they get it right (Pontus Aberg) there seems to be a break in the chain. Is this fixable?

AIM HIGHER

Pouliot’s scouting final mark from Red Line Report is one of the best that fine publication has ever delivered. Smart, sassy and damning:

• Pouliot is considered a very good two way player. He pays attention to his own end of the ice which is surprising for a Quebec League player. He also played for a bad team in the Rimouski Oceanic. Scouts reportedly would only go to see him play and the assessment was a question: how much better could he have been if he had some wingers to play with? There also were some questions as to whether he was taking some nights off. Still, there are those who think he is an exceptional talent and could be a solid second line center in the NHL. Pouliot played for Team Canada at the recent WJC’s. He recorded only 2 goals, but had 9 points in 7 games. He scored 32 goals in his second year in the QMJHL last year. Look for him to increase those numbers next season.

Now, to be clear, Red Line are the world’s hardest markers (called Ales Hemsky ‘no balls’). That said, the scouting report above included enough storm clouds to make one wonder why the Oilers looked past the available talent and chose him. Note: MP had a string of injuries, those maladies no doubt contributed to his career trajectory.

NHL EQUIVALENCIES

I don’t run these much anymore, mostly because I don’t have time. That said, we have a little window of opportunity here and I thought it might be an idea to see how things are progressing. The NHLE’s also make the point of this article (Cooper Marody is looking like a real NHL talent) so it’s a good place to run the equivalencies. By the way, using the NHLE’s of their time (God bless you, Gabriel Desjardins), Pouliot’s draft day NHLE was 27.6. Here are this year’s Oilers.

1. Cooper Marody 47.3
  2. Kirill Maksimov 36.5
  3. Ryan McLeod 31.1
  4. Joe Gambardella 30.1
  5. Tyler Benson 29.1
  6. Kailer Yamamoto 27.9
  7. Cam Hebig 27.6
  8. Ostap Safin 21.0
  9. Tyler Vesel 12.1
  10. Skyler Brind’Amour 8.2
  11. Graham McPhee 6.9
  12. Aapeli Rasanen 5.4

If we use Pouliot as the arbitrary line in the sand, then Marody, Maksimov, McLeod, Gambardella, Benson and Yamamoto have a chance. I think Marody is underrated by many fans, likely because his first NHL trips have been pedestrian. Suspect he’s exactly the player I’m trying to find in the first segment of this morning’s conversation. Marody’s math is screaming ‘NHL skill player’ and even though it’s a small sample, he spiked a year ago too. Please baby Jesus, don’t let him be another Pontus Aberg.

DEFENSE NHLE

1. Evan Bouchard 36.7
  2. Joel Persson 28.2
  3. Caleb Jones 22.8
  4. Filip Berglund 16.9
  5. Ethan Bear 15.2
  6. Dmitri Samorukov 15.0
  7. William Lagesson 12.8
  8. Vincent Deslauriers 10.1
  9. Mike Kesselring 8.7
  10. Matthew Cairns 6.3
  11. Phil Kemp 5.7
  12. Markus Niemelainen 4.44
  13. John Marino 4.2

The lock among Oilers prospects is Evan Bouchard, his ability to move the puck expertly badly needed on this Edmonton team. Joel Persson is the other offensive defenseman, I keep wondering if the club brings him over later this campaign to have a look. Caleb Jones played well and based on play in the NHL, everyone has to be pleased with his progress.

Dmitri Samorukov and Phil Kemp will join Evan Bouchard at the WJ’s this week, Oilers fans will get a look at a possible future on the blue line.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

When I was a kid, growing up Jehovah’s Witness, it was routine to see a Watchtower or Awake! magazine with the title “bringing you good news about this system of things!” and I think there is good news coming here. I don’t know how many or how high, but between the current amateur scouting staff, some astute trades and Woodcroft’s magic in Bakersfield, some of these fellows look wildly out of place compared to the Oilers own AHL past. Merry Christmas, I think.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A tremendously busy Christmas Eve morning show today, we get rolling at 10 on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Mark Masters, TSN. An up close look at the World Juniors.
  • Eric Fawcett, Gator Country. What we can look forward to from the NBA on Christmas day.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Oilers will wake up on Christmas day inside the playoffs, but with injuries depleting the defense. How can they cobble together a working V-6?
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. Cleveland wins! Eagles win! The playoff picture and more.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Merry Christmas, best of the season to those who do not celebrate. And if you know any Jehovah’s Witness kids, please be kind. It’s a tough time of year for those little ones. By the way, you can give a gift to a Jehovah’s Witness kid this week, if it is given in friendship. That is all.

121 Responses to "Higher Ground"

1. leadfarmer says:

This is why I liked the Woodcroft hire. This was an experienced guy that knew his job is to develop players and not some up and coming guy who needed wins above development to get his career up and running
    We’re sitting in 4th place in division and multiple prospects are tracking well and getting a chance to develop instead of packing the team with Ahl vets

2. jtblack says:

IMO. CGY, SJS, VGK are all superior teams and Edm won’t catch them. VGK was 3 games under .500 on November 19th. They are 11-3-3 since …

Anaheim? Mostly Mr. Gibson. If he gets hurt or comes back to earth, Anaheim is catchable.

Minny – Dumba out hurts them bigtime.

Dallas – Seem like Edm to me. No second layer scoring. WG said Klingberg is coming back, so they should hang around at the very least.

MY POINT: The hockey Gods have gift wrapped a year where a mediocre Oilers team CAN Make the dance.

EDM is 3 Games over fake. 500. 46 games remaining. Assuming 94 points gets in, that leaves a record of

24-17-5 … would put EDM at 92 points …

so it’s not going to be easy, but thanks to the Hitchmas Miracle, it is possible.

LETS GO OILERS

3. fishman says:

A capped out team that only has maybe 4 top 6 forwards and mud in the bottom 6 has to hope for help from it’s draft and develop department. After years of nothing from the minor league system there now seems to be some reason to hope. Can’t happen soon enough!!

Merry Christmas to all!!

4. trencan says:

Merry Christmas from Europe.

5. €√¥£€^$ says:

I would like to wish everyone a “pre-lated” Merry Christmas from Zhuhai, China.

We’ve been in China for the past 7 days now and just spent the day exploring Hong Kong. It was mentioned last year by a poster that the mass of humanity was overwhelming for an LTer who had travelled to HK around xmas. I have to say, as someone who has occassional anxiety in crowded places, I didn’t have any negative experiences anywhere today and we spent about 45 minutes at different times and a few different routes on the subway. Even when the car was too full to fit all the folks waiting on the platform.

After spending a cumulative 7 weeks in China in about 20 different cities over the past 3 yrs, I have to say that the people of Hong Kong are surprisingly polite and respectful of personal space in comparison to the Chinese. FYI, there are no stop signs in China, only yield signs, but it is very uncommon for a Chinese driver to yield to someone else. In stating this I want to say that as a pedestrian I have NEVER been yielded for even once that I can recall walking or getting off/on a bus, the subway or an elevator or an escalator by other pedestrians anywhere in China (unless I am forceful/aggressive – which I am not very often). In Hong Kong today I lost count after 12. It was a pleasant surprise.

Just wanted to share in case someone was on the fence about travelling there.

Cheers all!

6. leadfarmer says:

fishman,

So much dead cap on this team and we added another one in Spooner.
    We really need new CBA to get us out of Lucic contract
    Between Lucic Russell Spooner and even Sekera (yes he will probably recover but that just adds back to leftorium) that’s over 18 mil cap we need to patiently shed

7. Jethro Tull says:

€√¥£€^$,

In China as a Canadian?

8. BONE207 says:

Merry Christmas to all. Great to come here for all the entertaining commentary & humor. Thanks LT for all you do here & on the radio.

9. drglen says:

Can’t figure out Caggula. ? (Can anyone?)

I have a new mental game to weigh players ( .. ah, hard data probably being a better method), but that is to imagine these players not playing for Edmonton, but for Tampa Bay. Can you see any of these players, once they self actualize, cracking the tampa bay lineup? Khaira,.. yes, Drake, no. Matt . yes as 7 D, Zykov, . . . unkown. This Zykov guy might actually start firing in mental Tampa Bay. Zykov… the enigma. but Drake… gosh I’m a fan, but no..

Marody, .. probably does not make Tampa Bay. He’s like Lander plus. I’d so love for him to prove me wrong.

Yamo……. no, but as pointed out here… Yamo.. could he be St. Louis II ?

Benson,… I say yes. Projects solid NHL for me.

Gambardella… isn’t he like top gun in Bake right now? Probably does not translate to NHL outside of emergency call up.

Kirill,… well mental tampa bay is full of Russians who overperform. Terrible camp here, but I’m saying yes. He finds the range and becomes 30 goal man.

McLeod…. not enough info… probably yes.

D.
    Don’t know if Bear’s game matures enough to play for the champs…. , could I see Bear in his prime paired with hedman…. or running 2nd PP? … I’m going to say yes actually.

Anyway I don’t follow Bake and Junior enough to have an informed opinion, but thanks for the indulgence. But I do see Benson, Kirill, McLeod, and Bear as cracking oilers . ( assume Jonesy is ‘in’ already. ) and Bouchard of course.

10. €√¥£€^$ says:

Jethro Tull:
    €√¥£€^$,

In China as a Canadian?

No issues, I’m a nobody and have a Visa that’s good til 2025. Plus my spouse’s brother is a police Captain. Also, I have had no issues entering or going in and out of HK and Macau.

Plus there was a shit-ton of gui lau, like myself, going thru customs in Beijing and no one was detained or delayed that I could see.

11. Woogie63 says:

As Conner’s Left Wing

Maroon scores 27 goals
    Chiasson on pace for +30 goals

What do these two players provide that Spooner wouldn’t?

12. drglen says:

€√¥£€^$:
    I would like to wish everyone a “pre-lated” Merry Christmas from Zhuhai, China.

We’ve been in China for the past 7 daysnow and just spent the day exploring Hong Kong.It was mentioned last year by a poster that the mass of humanity was overwhelming for an LTer who had travelled to HK around xmas.I have to say, as someone who has occassional anxiety in crowded places, I didn’t have any negative experiences anywhere today and we spent about 45 minutes at different times and a few different routes on the subway.Even when the car was too full to fit all the folks waiting on the platform.

After spending a cumulative 7 weeks in China in about 20 different cities over the past 3 yrs, I have to say that the people of Hong Kong are surprisingly polite and respectful of personal space in comparison to the Chinese.FYI, there are no stop signs in China, only yield signs, but it is very uncommon for a Chinese driver to yield to someone else.In stating this I want to say that as a pedestrian I have NEVER been yielded for even once that I can recall walking or getting off/on a bus, the subway or an elevator or an escalator by other pedestrians anywhere in China (unless I am forceful/aggressive – which I am not very often).In Hong Kong today I lost count after 12.It was a pleasant surprise.

Just wanted to share in case someone was on the fence about travelling there.

Cheers all!

China, right on man!. Merry Christmas. Those little ferries are awesome, worth the trip just to take the star ferry. Hong Kong felt safe and interesting, but so exhausting as this wave of humanity moves/pulsates along the sidewalks. No where to sit and rest.

13. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Western Conference Playoff Standings via Points Percentage expressed as points over/under fake Bettman .500

Central

DAL 2
    VAN -1
    ARI -2
    STL -2
    LAK -6
    CHI -7

The Oilers are in a playoff spot at Christmas.

LT got his Hitchmas wish.

14. drglen says:

I’m so glad that he let me try it again
    ‘Cause my last time on earth I lived a whole world of sin
    I’m so glad that I know more than I knew then
    Gonna keep on tryin’ . . . . .

Sorry man had to do it. Somebody had to… might as well be me.

15. €√¥£€^$ says:

drglen: China, right on man!.Merry Christmas.Those little ferries are awesome, worth the trip just to take the star ferry.Hong Kong felt safe and interesting, but so exhausting as this wave of humanity moves/pulsates along the sidewalks.No where to sit and rest.

Yes, we took the ferry as well and before that went to top of Ping Ding mountain by tram. The line-ups are brutal, it was about a 45 minute wait for an uncomfortable 10 minute ride up. Wooden benches, very steep climb, the buildings look like they are on a 45 degree angle as you pass by. I don’t recommend it, unless the line-up is moving quickly.

It was a grey/drizzly day though so might be best on a blue sky day.

16. rbjork says:

€√¥£€^$,

The Chinese traffic hierarchy was described to me as bus, truck, car, motor cycle, bike, and then pedestrian, and having a light that says it is your turn means nothing. But I found the subway system in Beijing to be excellent.

17. Jethro Tull says:

€√¥£€^$: Yes.

No issues, I’m a nobody and have a Visa that’s good til 2025.Plus my spouse’s brother is a police Captain.Also, I have had no issues entering or going in and out of HK and Macau.

Stay safe and happy Christmas!

18. drglen says:

DAL 2
    VAN -1
    ARI -2
    STL -2
    LAK -6
    CHI -7

The Oilers are in a playoff spot at Christmas.

LT got his Hitchmas wish.

Calgary pulling away from the pack it seems.

SJS… working out the kinks. yikes.

ducks and knights and canucks… its rumble time.

19. DeeJay says:

“Merry Christmas, best of the season to those who do not celebrate. And if you know any Jehovah’s Witness kids, please be kind. It’s a tough time of year for those little ones. By the way, you can give a gift to a Jehovah’s Witness kid this week, if it is given in friendship. That is all.” Alan Mitchell……you are a good man…..thanks for all you give us – Merry Christmas!

20. ArmchairGM says:

Woogie63:
    As Conner’s Left Wing

Maroon scores 27 goals
    Chiasson on pace for +30 goals

What do these two players provide that Spooner wouldn’t?

Goal scoring. Spooner doesn’t fit at all, although Zykov might.

21. Bill says:

Lowetide and all fellow posters/lurkers,

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to each and all.
    Hope y’all have a safe and wonderful time.

22. Ribs says:

Woogie63:
    As Conner’s Left Wing

Maroon scores 27 goals
    Chiasson on pace for +30 goals

What do these two players provide that Spooner wouldn’t?

Goals, I would guess.

23. €√¥£€^$ says:

rbjork:
    €√¥£€^$,

The Chinese traffic hierarchy was described to me as bus, truck, car, motor cycle, bike, and then pedestrian, and having a light that says it is your turn means nothing.But I found the subway system in Beijing to be excellent.

Lol, that is correct.

Beijing is relatively orderly, but as you get further away from the capital drivers are more iffy. Today someone did a semi U-Turn in traffic, 5 cars in 2 lanes had to come to a complete stop because this ass clown on the other side of the road couldn’t wait for traffic to pass.

After he cut everyone off we had to wait while they backed up and then moved forward to complete the turn. I’ve seen some stuff, but this was another level stupid.

24. Munny says:

LT sits down at the laptop, puppy nipping at his heels…

It’s Christmas Eve morning already and I haven’t written a jot about Mrs. Pouliot’s favourite son in months. How in the name of sweet baby Jesus lying in a manger am I gonna deliver any gold… or even frankincense or myrrh?

Wait a minute…. what about renaming the Mendoza line?

Lol… Merry Christmas, Mrs. Pouliot

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

Man, that 2003 draft. All the hype about how deep it was, which proved accurate. Calgary goes & picks a local guy who plays in Red Deer in Dion Phaneuf, & the backgrounder video shows several angles of him blowing up some guy named Pouliot in the Top Prospects game. Then the Oil trade down 5 spots to add a “second round” pick at #68 (Were there 34 teams at that time?), and stand by as future stars like Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, & Brent Burns went off the board. So who do they pick? That Pouliot guy who we’ve already seen get blown up by Calgary’s new hotshot. The optics were flat out terrible, and frankly remain so.

At least Oilers got that second round pick, though, eh. Applying LT’s five-year rule, by 2008 JFJ had played 53 NHL games, with bixcars of 0-0-0, -17 to show for it. Not one stinking point! Alas, his legacy, and to a cetain degree Pouliot’s, is taking up development time with precious little payoff. A bottom line accountant might conclude that those two picks had a bigger net debit on the org than the infamous 16 & 33 from 2015 which were pissed away but at least didn’t cost the team a bunch of time & opportunity to prove they couldn’t cut it. (Other than two years of same for Reinhart, mind)

Here’s a depressing fact for Oil fans: in the 2003 draft, every player selected between #13 & #24 played at least 600 NHL games except two — Robert Nilsson & Marc Pouliot. The two future Oilers mustered just 444 GP combined, while the other ten players of the second dozen stand at 8619 GP, & counting. Just a monumental fail by the Oil, one that hurt them for years and arguably still does.

26. McSorley33 says:

If you are going to healthy scratch him or only play him 5 minutes – probably best to waive
    the Zykov. kid.

Let’s not waste his time by playing him with Spooner and then only 5 minutes.

How bad is Spooner? I actually miss Strome…

16gp – 2 goals + 4 assists

27. McSorley33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

That is really depressing….

28. Bad Seed says:

Bruce McCurdy,

The Oilers would be a far better organization if they’d have done Opposite George for the last 30 years!

29. Woodguy v2.0 says:

A fun follow on twitter is @VintageOilers

They (he/her?) post a lot of cool pics and facts about the early days of EDM, including WHL stuff.

This morning they posted the HNIC video intro to EDM’s first NHL home game vs DET, October 13, 1979.

The city has changed a bit in 39 years….

30. McSorley33 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Freakin awesome….thanks.

leadfarmer:
    This is why I liked the Woodcroft hire.This was an experienced guy that knew his job is to develop players and not some up and coming guy who needed wins above development to get his career up and running

This team has more high end offensive forward draft picks than Nelson’s teams had.

Marody has the Lander “problem”. He will need the right situation with the right coach. Lander was unlucky in that regard.

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woogie63:
    As Conner’s Left Wing

Maroon scores 27 goals
    Chiasson on pace for +30 goals

What do these two players provide that Spooner wouldn’t?

Caggiula has goals because he has hands, but also because he cheats for offense. He gives up more than he contributes. In the bottom of the roster low event players are better than high event players, because high event players will lose you games.

The more marginal the actual NHL ability, low event is preferable to high event. Plus one wants PK ability.

34. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: The city has changed a bit in 39 years….

(Quote)  (Reply)

There wasn’t even a Whyte Ave as we know it back then. The old post office was an empty shell…

35. Munny says:

McSorley33: How bad is Spooner? I actually miss Strome…

I wonder if the trade was really more about next contract than anything else…

36. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny: There wasn’t even a Whyte Ave as we know it back then.The old post office was an empty shell…

I beg to differ, The Strath and the Commercial were there, Boston Pizza, Uncle Alberts, the cornerstones 🙂

There was Whyte Avenue, but it catered to a different crowd, the crowd who made Whyte before the well paid professional cool chasers stole it and arguably “debased” it.

The money moves in. The cool is forced out. Same as it ever was. Paris is a movable feast.

38. Glovjuice says:

leadfarmer:
    fishman,

So much dead cap on this team and we added another one in Spooner.
    We really need new CBA to get us out of Lucic contract

Everyone is catching on to how awful the Spooner trad was.

39. drglen says:

godot10:
    Caggiula has goals because he has hands, but also because he cheats for offense.He gives up more than he contributes.In the bottom of the roster low event players are better than high event players, because they will lose you games.

The more marginal the actual NHL ability, low event is preferable to high event.Plus one wants PK ability.

Yes he cheats and takes penalties when outmatched. It might be a case where he dominates college players but cant fool the top nhl guys. Its been long enougj yo know the player. Bring him out of press box as needed. He has. Value. But is not going to drive offense.

40. drglen says:

godot10: There was Whyte Avenue,but it catered to a different crowd, the crowd who made Whyte before the well paid professional cool chasers stole it and arguably “debased” it.

The money moves in.The cool is forced out. Same as it ever was. Paris is a movable feast.

I avoid whyte ave. It scares me. But obyrnes celtic tuesday is good. And commercial sat afternoon blues jam still wonderful. Otherwise. Ya leave whyte ave to the hipster punks and cool tough guys

41. Munny says:

godot10,

Actually it was Yiannis Psalios who was responsible for much of the revitalization, in the early 80s, and it was done (mostly) with government money. Whyte Ave prior to that was largely a hangout for bums, drunks and derelicts, with the exception of the Princess Theatre (opened in 1978).

42. drglen says:

Glovjuice,

Yep. If a team or two teams are willing to pass on a player there is a reason. Dear Peter. Look up “red flag”

I dont even care about eberlre connection. Just want the suffering to end. Get rid of spooner. New topic

43. Glovjuice says:

Woogie63:
    As Conner’s Left Wing

Maroon scores 27 goals
    Chiasson on pace for +30 goals

What do these two players provide that Spooner wouldn’t?

Quick thinking – finding space – fast hands in traffic areas. Simple really.

44. who says:

Scungilli Slushy: Big boys that go to the paint and can shoot well enough to finish chances. Also more drive heading back to the D zone.

You actually think Maroon had more drive on the backcheck?
    Can I borrow your glasses? The rose colored ones.

45. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy: I beg to differ, The Strath and the Commercial were there, Boston Pizza, Uncle Alberts, the cornerstones

Lol… ever walk into the Strath circa 1980?

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10: This AHL team has more AHL vets than most of Nelson’s OKC teams, except for the first season and the first half of the lockout season.

Marody has the Lander “problem”. He will need the right situation with the right coach.Lander was unlucky in that regard.

47. Glovjuice says:

drglen:
    Glovjuice,

Yep.If a team or two teams are willing to pass on a player there is a reason. Dear Peter. Look up “red flag”

I dont even care about eberlre connection. Just want the suffering to end.Get rid of spooner. New topic

Booze is my prediction

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10:
    Caggiula has goals because he has hands, but also because he cheats for offense.He gives up more than he contributes.In the bottom of the roster low event players are better than high event players, because high event players will lose you games.

Caggiula under Hitchcock: 12 GP, 1-1-2, -1. The goal came in Hitch’s first game, since then Caggs has been stuck on 7 goals for over a month. His ice time has gradually diminished, from 20:57 in that game in San Jose to 4 straight games below the 10:00 mark as of now.

Since his return from short-term injury on Dec 13 he is 5 GP, 0-0-0, even, with 9:34 ATOi and just 7 hits (he had 30 hits in his first 7 under Hitch, which even adjusting for ice time is an entirely different level of physicality than he’s shown lately). Not a stat to place a whole lot of trust in, but a bit of a barometer for this guy IMO. If he’s not going where angels fear to tread, he’s not very useful.

49. who says:

Glovjuice: Everyone is catching on to how awful the Spooner trad was.

Spooner trade was meh for meh. Can’t believe people are fixating on this trade.
    Everyone should go back to yesterdays post and read Woodguys list of players chosen between 16 and 37 in 2015. That is the trade that is currently killing this franchise.
    Not the Hall trade.
    Not the Eberle trade.
    And certainly not the Strome trade!

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

Used to go to the Strath to celebrate Oilers wins on Friday &/or Saturday nights back in the day when a) I could afford season tickets & b) Oilers used to win (way) more than they lost. Not saying there were a bunch of lefties at our table, but I once met the president of the Communist Party of Canada in that watering hole.

Hmmm, CPC. There must be a joke in there somewhere….

51. Glovjuice says:

who: Spooner trade was meh for meh. Can’t believe people are fixating on this trade.
    Not the Hall trade.
    Not the Eberle trade.
    And certainly not the Strome trade!

Agreed 100 % – worst trade in Oilers history.

Bruce McCurdy: Disagree in that the Lander problem included keeping him in the NHL for the first 3/4 of his first campaign in North American pro. Marody has been up and down like a toilet seat in a co-ed washroom, but at least he’s had meaningful time at the AHL level to develop his game.

I meant speed.and quickness. Those type of players need the right coach and the right situation to establish themselves in the NHL.

Lander is better than most of the Oilers Current bottom six.

53. drglen says:

Bruce McCurdy,

superlative metaphor.

54. franksterra says:

drglen,

That’s too bad its obviously changed since I left.
    Add original Hub Cigar and original Greenwoods to the good list. And original Cafe La Gare and of course the Princess. I worked at the last two places in the early 90s.
    Yikes I’m really curmudeon-ing myself with adding “original ” to everything!

55. franksterra says:

Bruce McCurdy,

60 cent draft for all!

56. Munny says:

franksterra:
    Bruce McCurdy,

60 cent draft for all!

25 cent actually, lol.

57. drglen says:

franksterra:
    drglen,

That’s too badits obviously changed since I left.
    Yikes I’m really curmudeon-ing myself with adding “original ” to everything!

Welcome to your curmudeion years my friend!

58. Ryan says:

godot10: I meant speed.and quickness.Those type of players need the right coach and the right situation to establish themselves in the NHL.

Lander is better than most of the Oilers Current bottom six.

That’s hard to say.

On the one hand, the Oilers bottom six is not good.

On the other hand, Lander was such a slow skater.

The game’s even faster now, I do not think he would have the speed to play in today’s NHL.

59. unca miltie says:

Bruce McCurdy,

our fastball team used to frequent the strath after games. early 70’s though. often played in the park across from the municipal airport and race down 109th street to see who got to the strath first.

60. franksterra says:

Munny,

Well cents per glass is actually a very accurate chronometer for the year….I’m thinking 1988. You, 1975?

61. franksterra says:

drglen,

It happened awfully fast

62. fishman says:

Munny: 25 cent actually, lol.

The drinking age lowered to 18 the spring I turned 18! Draft was $.20/ glass. $2 in your pocket and you were set for the night!!!

63. Melvis says:

Two bit beer. You and a date could go out, get sloshed, gorge on a pizza, burn a couple of spliffs followed by neked craziness until dawn – and still find enough change of a tenner in your jeans for breakfast.

64. Woogie63 says:

Goals without an assist from Conner

Spooner 305 games 48 goals
    Maroon 400 games 40 goals
    Chiasson 411 games 63 goals

65. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I’m just glad all you old bastards are calling it by the proper nickname, The Strath.

There was a poll on twitter not long ago and it turns out the kids these days call it The Strat.

It’s not sacrilegious but its close.

66. Munny says:

franksterra:
    Munny,

I think it is was at 25 cent glasses for a good portion of the 80s (at Happy Hour–remember those?). They were those 8 oz ALCB glasses with the line around the rim, and the quality of draft… well it was early 2000s Oilerish, although I do remember the brand being OV.

67. Ryan says:

Woogie63:
    Goals without an assist from Conner

Spooner 305 games 48 goals
    Maroon 400 games 40 goals
    Chiasson 411 games 63 goals

I’d be curious to see goal splits for guys like Caggiula, Aberg, Rattie, JJ, Chiasson, Lucic, when they’re not playing with McDavid, Nuge, or Draisatl.

68. --hudson-- says:

The first bar fight I witnessed was at the Strath over a game of pool. A younger guy versus an older one. It was terrifying! The young guy got a lucky shot in near the eye, breaking skin both above and below, blood was everywhere and no bouncer to split them up.

69. drglen says:

–hudson–:
    The first bar fight I witnessed was at the Strath over a game of pool.A younger guy versus an older one.It was terrifying!The young guy got a lucky shot in near the eye, breaking skin both above and below, blood was everywhere and no bouncer to split them up.

yep. part of the ambience is a scuffle and old school gang escort out to the street. 20 guys suddenly get up and nicely ask the ruffian causing trouble to kindly go home. .. ( there’s an NHL hockey lesson in here somewhere) Bouncer often present, but no way he has to handle things alone.

70. drglen says:

Ryan: Interesting that you mentioned that. We don t have much depth scoring to begin with, but how many goals are scored by our tweeners when they’re actually playing in the bottom six?

Yes, the odd pitlic-esque timely yet unexpected goal would be nice. JP and Khaira are giving us a bit of this now, but they’ve graduated.

71. innercitysmytty says:

Woodguy v2.0,

When I was going to the U of A in the mid-90s it was already being called the Strat. Not sure it’s just the kids these days.

72. drglen says:

tsk tsk, typically lazy youth. Can’t even bother to pronounce the ‘th’ …. .imho … ttyl brb

73. Alpine says:

Whyte Ave is still cool. It’s been gentrified but not so much that all the flavour is gone. I kinda prefer when it’s more quiet though i.e. during the week.

74. StixMalone says:

Ah the good ol days. Dozen bottles was around 6 bucks. Smokes were a buck. Life was good! Flash ahead to now and I don’t smoke anymore and I seldom drink beer. But I do enjoy a nice aged (12-21 yr. old) dark rum straight. Taste has matured as have I lol. Wishing all of you here a merry Christmas. Please don’t drink and drive. Cheers

75. mupface says:

Merry xmas LT and thanks for everything you do! And happy holidays to all the posters here who I also enjoy reading every day.

76. Jethro Tull says:

Alpine:

Whyte Ave should be pedestrianised. Would solve a lot of problems.

mupface:

Merry Christmas to you and to everyone who pops in here for a day or for every day.

78. tileguy says:

Munny:
    godot10,

And after that he made 124st a cool place to be.

79. tileguy says:

Munny,

That would be around the time when Uncle Bens was filling up the kegs with a fire hose

80. tileguy says:

drglen:

Que the salty old man remark.

81. Katz_kat says:

Jethro Tull: Whyte Ave should be pedestrianised. Would solve a lot of problems.

82. geowal says:

Katz_kat: This is the truth! Also I think it would do a lot for the area and make even more people want to go down there

83. Jethro Tull says:

geowal: It sounds like a nice idea but always comes down to the challenges, namely lack of options, heading east-west over the tracks. Which road gets loaded up when it’s pedestrianized?

84. unca miltie says:

Is lowetidian a word? A wish for a very merry Christmas to all fellow Lowetidians where ever you may be. And a special thank you to our host for the many hours of entertainment over the years.
    Good health to all

Jethro Tull: Whyte Ave should be pedestrianised. Would solve a lot of problems.

That doesn’t work. See Sparks Street in Ottawa.

86. Gerta Rauss says:

unca miltie: Is lowetidian a word?

I think Lowetide-nicks is the plural

Merry Christmas all

87. Statsman says:

In the playoffs at Christmas with our current roster construction and major injuries to our d-corps.
    I think we should all be thankful for that (and many other things including this fine blog).

Hitch is really just starting to put his fingerprints on this team.

Merry Christmas to all from Turks and Caicos!!!

88. ArmchairGM says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

89. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny:
    godot10,

I grew up on Strathcona, those type were there but it was a mixed community also full of kids, university profs and working people, all ending up at the Strath for merriment. Yannis was best when you could dance in a line arm in arm, the whole restaurant, around park cars face sticky with ouzo from a wine skin they squeezed in your mouth

90. OriginalPouzar says:

trencan:
    Merry Christmas from Europe.

91. drglen says:

OriginalPouzar: Merry Christmas from a catamaran in the Indian Ocean off the south coast of Sri Lanka.

No way. Nice.

92. Professor Q says:

Here you go, sir.

Maldives is a very special place.

93. HT Joe says:

drglen:

First of all, Merry Christmas to Lowetide and to the posters that make this place really great.

Secondly, I just checked with my father (whom I guarantee is older than EVERYONE who posts here), and back in his day, the hotel was referred to as “the Old Strathcona”. Haha!

Take care everyone!

94. drglen says:

Statsman:
    In the playoffs at Christmas with our current roster construction and majorinjuries to our d-corps.

Hitch is really just starting to put his fingerprints on this team.

Merry Christmas to all from Turks and Caicos!!!

No way. Nice

95. drglen says:

Merry christmas from millwoods.

96. Sierra says:

Merry Christmas from Georgian Bay

97. Genjutsu says:

Merry Christmas from Buckhorn, ON

98. Fuhr and Lowething. says:

Merry Christmas from Coastal North Carolina!

99. Professor Q says:

Sierra:
    Merry Christmas from Georgian Bay

100. LMHF#1 says:

Merry Christmas to all, and especially to you LT for all you do, for this place and keeping a spot for the many of us who’ve made the trek since HF Boards to gather and commiserate, celebrate, and elaborate. *cheers*

101. Keith says:

Merry Christmas from Kanchanaburi Thailand

102. treevojo says:

Merry Christmas from Falmouth, Nova Scotia

103. Scungilli Slushy says:

who: You actually think Maroon had more drive on the backcheck?
    Can I borrow your glasses? The rose colored ones.

CoH had him as defensively reliable if a tad slow.

104. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny: Munny

A few too many times. I miss the ratty old terry cloth table tops. Never a dull moment. You could rack em up with Semenko and he wouldn’t even take you outside if you won!

105. Scungilli Slushy says:

Statsman:

Hitch is really just starting to put his fingerprints on this team.

Merry Christmas to all from Turks and Caicos!!!

Awesome. I’m taking a grand tour of Prince George then Edmonton. A tour of winter I suppose.

106. Glovjuice says:

Jethro Tull: Nearly every European city with medieval street wandering street plans and insane population densities seems to do okay.

Don’t be silly; can’t compare them.

107. Glovjuice says:

drglen: No way. Nice.

Weird place for Christmas unless you live there.

108. Derek says:

Merry Christmas from Lomond Alberta by way of Calgary or vice versa.

To the poster travelling China and HK right now, please be careful. My gf and her family are from HongKong, Huizhou and Zhangzou originally and we were speaking about going back to China or HK for Chinese New years and they didn’t think it was a good idea with the current political goings on.

I know nothing however, I’m just a farm boy from Southern AB. Stay safe.

109. Jaxon says:

Merry Christmas to all from Humboldt, Saskatchewan.

110. drglen says:

Glovjuice: Weird place for Christmas unless you live there.

yep, Live here. Milllwoods… grows on you when you live there.

111. maudite says:

Beat me to it. 23 years ago was my first of many nights there and it definitely had been called the strat for at least a few years before that.

innercitysmytty:
    Woodguy v2.0,

112. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

The “Strat” since at least 1999.

Happy Festivus from Sardinia.

May the new year bring a healthy d, secondary scoring, a third art ross and the playoffs. Also my return to North America so I may watch these games at a godly hour.

113. Glovjuice says:

maudite:
    Beat me to it.23 years ago was my first of many nights there and it definitely had been called the strat for at least a few years before that.

I remember StraTH during the Grunge/Shoegaze era.

114. ArmchairGM says:

Professor Q: I’ll be having their gin tomorrow. Merry Christmas cheers to you, the family, and all here at Lowetide.

Haha, I was drinking Collingwood Rye about the time this was posted last night, but I was offline.

If you haven’t tried it, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Merry Christmas.

115. flyfish1168 says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone here
    My only ask from Santa is Oilers to make playoffs.

116. Glovjuice says:

flyfish1168:
    Merry Christmas LT and everyone here
    My only ask from Santa is Oilers to make playoffs.

Mine is for management changes

117. €√¥£€^$ says:

Derek:
    Merry Christmas from Lomond Alberta by way of Calgary or vice versa.

To the poster travelling China and HK right now, please be careful.My gf and her family are from HongKong, Huizhou and Zhangzou originally and we were speaking about going back to China or HK for Chinese New years and they didn’t think it was a good idea with the current political goings on.

I know nothing however, I’m just a farm boy from Southern AB.Stay safe.

Thanks Derek!

Spent 10 hrs on a train and we are in my spouse’s hometown of Putian.

I joked with several co-workers and acquaintances before I left about my new weight loss plan, aka a Chinese prison. Honestly, it is safe (other than the being a pedestrian part, lol).

I think the politics are over-blown, the actions by the Chinese government were pointed, as they normally are. They will not retaliate further with Meng out on bail.

Merry Christmas e’rybody!

118. Oz says:

Thanks LT for this wonderful blog and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Keep well.
    To all the posters a big thank you also, I always read, occasionally post and enjoy the personal stories,, game/player stats and the varied viewpoints. Safe travels where ever you are …. I am particularly envious of some, looking at you OP

119. YKOil says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Man, that 2003 draft. All the hype about how deep it was, which proved accurate. Calgary goes & picks a local guy who plays in Red Deer in Dion Phaneuf, & the backgrounder video shows several angles of him blowing up some guy named Pouliot in the Top Prospects game. Then the Oil trade down 5 spots to add a “second round” pick at #68 (Were there 34 teams at that time?), and stand by as future stars like Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, & Brent Burns went off the board.So who do they pick? That Pouliot guy who we’ve already seen get blown up by Calgary’s new hotshot. The optics were flat out terrible, and frankly remain so.

I remember watching a Rimouski game back in the day – team was headlined by Crosby and Pouliot – and it was clear the only guy who could properly play with Crosby was Pouliot. They played different lines so ice time together was limited but there was no question in my mind that Crosby looked for Pouliot and trusted Pouliot and liked playing with Pouliot. Reminds me of the first X-Men movie, every time Stewart and McKellan hit the screen, especially together, the quality of acting jumps 1000%.

A bit of “saw him good” perhaps, but it seemed clear as day to me that there was a player there. Maybe not a star but a solid player nevertheless. Red Line throws some shade but Pouliot was highly regarded for being a ‘never-give-up’ leader on a team that, pre-Crosby, was short on talent in every way.

My belief has always been, and continues to be, that Pouliot is an example of what can happen when a young prospect suffers injury/sickness and development issues in general.

Your point holds, turns out there were better choices, some amazing (Parise, Getzlaf) and some pedestrian (Fehr, Stuart) and one ‘who knows’ (would the Oilers have played Burns at defense?), but it wasn’t a terrible move in the grand scheme of things at the time and Pouliot was a legit pick. FTR, I wanted them to move up and get Coburn.

120. YKOil says:

Also, Merry Christmas everyone!