Decade, Volume 4

Back when this blog began, and even before, in the old hippie hfboards days, we’d sit around and drink our beer and complain about how hard it was to acquire difference makers. We all agreed, and it wasn’t just the beer talking, that the key was acquiring an impact talent, one of the 10 (or so) best players in the game. Add in some strong NHL veterans and a healthy system, and music! In 2010, Edmonton drafted an impact player, the best player on the roster since Doug Weight got traded a decade before. The years that have passed hammer home an important additional point, one we knew as hippies, but thought so easy to do, it need not be listed as a priority: Along with that impact player, an NHL team needs to have NHL average or above average talent across the roster. It is in this area, the ‘great young talent with below average help in too many places’, Oilers fans have dwelled in these years.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Jonathan Willis: Edmonton’s collection of prospect defencemen gives the team options now, in the future and in trade talks
  • New Jonathan Willis: With Mikko Koskinen and Cam Talbot bound for free agency, what is the Oilers goaltending plan?
  • New Lowetide: What could the Oilers acquire in a Jesse Puljujarvi trade?
  • New Jonathan Willis: The Edmonton Oilers are one good summer away from being competitive.
  • New Daniel Nugent Bowman: Why Joseph Gambardella’s first NHL call-up really hit home.
  • Pierre Lebrun: LeBrun Notebook: Chiarelli under pressure to deliver in Edmonton.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Peter Chiarelli’s reasoning for acquiring Brandon Manning doesn’t add up
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 9 prospect Winter 2018: Joel Persson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers acquire Brandon Manning in a Sunday shocker, and this ought to be interesting.
  • Lowetide: Oilers acquire Alexander Petrovic from Panthers, flushing Chris Wideman and a 2019 third-round pick in the trade.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 8 prospect Winter 2018: Kirill Maksimov.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 7 prospect Winter 2018: Caleb Jones
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect winter 2018: Cooper Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect winter 2018: Ethan Bear.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect winter 2018: Ryan McLeod.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect winter 2018: Tyler Benson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect winter 2018: Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect winter 2018: Evan Bouchard.

OILERS FORWARDS 2007-08

These are the primary forwards in that season, as you can see there is no Connor McDavid, no Taylor Hall, ya no hay estrellas . There are four full time forwards (Horcoff, Hemsky, Nilsson and Cogliano) over 2.00/60 5-on-5 scoring, with Gagner and Brodziak not far behind. This 2007-08 Oilers team boasted 10 forwards with 10+ goals and three (Hemsky, Penner, Horcoff) scored over 20. This group scored 1.74 5-on-5 goals per game.

There are too many young players, but the balance on the roster is actually impressive. Behind the kids (Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson) is a strong two-way line (Stoll) and veterans like Pisani and Reasoner to show the way. Glencross was an inspired pickup. MacT sure could play that rock and roll at even strength, although, as you see here, four of his top nine forwards were under 1.50/60 scoring.

OILERS FORWARDS 2018-19

McDavid and Draisaitl tower over anyone from the 2007-08 group and the club has three men (Nuge, Chiasson and Khaira) over 1.75. The Oilers have the top end, but don’t have the depth displayed 11 years ago (and remember, that team missed the playoffs while finishing with 88 points).

I think there are going to be two keys to summer among forwards: Edmonton needs another skilled veteran, preferably a scoring winger, to add to the group. Also, the team badly needs one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto to turn into an NHL player worthy of trust.

MAXIME COMTOIS

I grew up Jehovah’s Witness. We were taught a lot of things that kind of screwed me up (the world was going to end in 1972, and 1975, for instance), but it was drilled into my young brain “all of us are created equal”. I can recall many times my parents reaching out to help those in our community who had less than we did, calling it ‘being Christian’ and providing me with a wonderful moral compass.

Come to find, in the real world, it is easier to let things slide. When I was about 22, I worked at a job that included a person who was horrible racist. This was in a city (not Edmonton) that contained a large first nations population.

One day, this individual was in a room with me and about five other people, and he was being especially horrible. There had been a stabbing at the mall. One of us, one of us, stood up to it. His name was Dave, and he stood alone, the moment passing uncomfortably. After it passed, Dave looked me in the eye and said “shame on you.”

It was a horrible, valuable lesson and a reminder of my own past and principles. I walk the walk now, have for years and have passed along the lessons of my parents to my own children. I understand that you can’t let even one of these moments pass without speaking up.

We are all equal. Race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, the entire rainbow of possibilities. Equal. And now, today, that involves everyone, including me, maybe especially me because I am a white male, to stand up and say enough. To say “shame on you” and to remind or inform those who have decided it’s okay to say horrible and hurtful things out loud in front of all of us, thereby implicating some and intimidating others. No. Not today, not ever. We are better for having each other.

The last time Edmonton had this kind of quality across the positional spectrum was probably late 1990’s or 2000 with Claude Julien as coach. We don’t know the names of future NHLers playing in Bakersfield now, but we do know the increase in potential Oilers year over year is impressive. Tyler Benson, Cam Hebig, Dylan Wells, Cooper Marody and others are playing feature roles out of the box, and perhaps that’s the greatest gift Woodcroft provided these kids and the organization.

I believe the following players from this year’s team have a chance to play in the NHL as regulars: Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamoto, Caleb Jones (already there), Ethan Bear, Dylan Wells, Cooper Marody, Cam Hebig, Tyler Benson, Joe Gambardella, William Lagesson, Stuart Skinner. That’s 11.

The 1999-00 Hamilton Bulldogs produced Dan Cleary, Dan Lacouture, Jason Chimera, Brad Norton, Alex Henry. That’s five. I expect this current Condors group might produce more. That’s outstanding production.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

It’s Friday! Looking forward to the weekend and WJ’s, along with two Oilers games this weekend. Starting at 10, TSN1260:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. World Juniors and what happened to Canada, plus Oilers road trip and the All-Star game.
  • Andrew Peard, Oil Kings PBP. Edmonton’s junior team is grabbing points in every game recently and moving to the top of the division.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. We’ll chat NFL playoffs, Oilers playoff chances.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

257 Responses to "Decade, Volume 4"

« Older Comments
  1. northerndancer says:

My comments weren’t meant to be addressed only to those on this blog but to fans in general.

2. digger50 says:

northerndancer: No.VOR is Hitch.Or a virtual Hitch!Or virtually a Hitch!
    The anti-Todd.I think I should stop now.
    The science guiding sport or athletic development is so fascinating.A far cry from “don’t go swimming until an hour after dinner”

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe

Though hard to visualize Hitch coaching track.

3. healthyscratch says:

OriginalPouzar,

I had a great experience with air BnB in Kyoto. My host who lived in the apartment next door invited me over for breakfast several times, and to the brewery he worked at for a beer. Because of their culture I wouldn’t hesitate to use air BnB in Japan.

I’d also pack lightly and find a way to do laundry while you’re there. One of my hotels in Tokyo had a washing machine in the room. Hauling a lot of luggage through the train stations could be a major hassle because it’s so crowded. I wouldn’t travel any other way there.

4. northerndancer says:

digger50,

For sure. He does seem quick however. I live in the Koots where tin foil hats are a year round fashion statement.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Marody from Benson

6. OriginalPouzar says:

healthyscratch:
    OriginalPouzar,

I had a great experience with air BnB in Kyoto.My host who lived in the apartment next door invited me over for breakfast several times, and to the brewery he worked at for a beer.Because of their culture I wouldn’t hesitate to use air BnB in Japan.

I’d also pack lightly and find a way to do laundry while you’re there.One of my hotels in Tokyo had a washing machine in the room. Hauling a lot of luggage through the train stations could be a major hassle because it’s so crowded.I wouldn’t travel any other way there.

Excellent – we’ll probably stay at the Shangri-La in Tokyo but look at rentals for the rest.

7. smellyglove says:

OriginalPouzar: Shangri-La in Tokyo

Enjoying the world in style, my hat’s off to you OP. Very jealous.

8. Jordan says:

Lowetide: I agree with everything Burke said in terms on the team’s direction. Draft and develop, don’t trade, because the deals available come at too high a cost. When you enter into a negotiation as the aggressor, the other side can be indifferent. Build your system, offload extra talent to re-tool. Add WHEN you’re ready.

In theory that’s a great plan. And I firmly agree that overall, in a salary cap league, that’s the only path to long-term success.

But that’s not what the team has been doing up until now.

The Management style we’ve seen is bleed talent to meet perceived need – that need being tough players who can wear down the opposition. It’s not enough to beat the opposition on the ice, these Oilers need to be able to beat them in the parking lot too.

The Oilers plan isn’t necessarily a bad one. But most of the bets they’ve made haven’t turned out well enough to cover their costs, both in assets out and opportunities missed.

The Oilers have no gotten enough good players, or kept enough good players to be a good team.

So, what do you do?

You either make a statement supporting the GM, and let him keep doing what he’s been doing, or you decide it’s not good enough and make a call.

If the Oilers aren’t in a playoff spot by the all-star break, I think Chia’s done.

If he is done, I sure hope they trade off most of the UFA players they can before the deadline. If we”re going to draft and develop, I sure hope they’re aggressive about it.

If they are in the playoffs, I sure hope they can find some help up front. But then, if you’ve been reading my posts, you already know this…

9. northerndancer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Marody from Benson

The future is arriving

10. northerndancer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Marody from Benson

How does Benson’s skating look? The video I saw of him skating earlier this year looked much more free or loose (and quicker) than even a year ago. Those injuries must have been brutal to try to play through.

11. Glovjuice says:

northerndancer: The future is arriving

I’m afraid not. Neither can skate well enough for the current NHL.

12. northerndancer says:

Glovjuice: I’m afraid not. Neither can skate well enough for the current NHL.

I fear that you may be right on that. The Benson story is compelling and I wish him well. I am hoping that his injuries merely retarded his skating development, not capping it. He may be motivated and able to change his skating approach and overcome this deficiency.

northerndancer: How does Benson’s skating look?The video I saw of him skating earlier this year looked much more free or loose (and quicker) than even a year ago.Those injuries must have been brutal to try to play through.

He looks leaner than he did in junior, to my eye.

14. Glovjuice says:

I’m embarrassed that I just clued in now. Volume 4. by Black Sabbath is a towering musical achievement and is the most underrated Sabbath album with one of the greatest drumming performances in the history of recorded music. Oh, and a bonus for anyone who is into classical/early music that puts the effort into seeking out an album called Sabbatum by an early music band from Estonia called Rondellus will be rewarded with the greatest cover album of all time – seriously. The vocals are all the actual Sabbath lyrics sung in Latin with the music played on period instruments. It is one of my favourite albums of all time. Absolutely incredible.

15. northerndancer says:

Lowetide: He looks leaner than he did in junior, to my eye.

Thanks for the reply, LT.
    Are the Condors games on youtube or ???
    Development of these kids is so hard to predict. You do a reasonable job in taking up the challenge but so many factors at play. Success in the NHL is such a narrow measure of a young persons life and the balls in the air – physical, emotional, situational, luck – all at play at the same time.

16. northerndancer says:

Glovjuice:
    I’m embarrassed that I just clued in now. Volume 4. by Black Sabbath is a towering musical achievement and is the most underrated Sabbath album with one of the greatest drumming performances in the history of recorded music. Oh, and a bonus for anyone who is into classical/early music that puts the effort into seeking out an album calledSabbatum by an early music band from Estonia calledRondellus will be rewarded with the greatest cover album of all time – seriously. The vocals are all the actual Sabbath lyrics sung in Latin with the music played on period instruments. It is one of my favourite albums of all time. Absolutely incredible.

Tell us what you really feel lol. I grew up listening to Sabbath. First album or 2 that I ever owned. I probably still have those first 4 albums in my basement. But I now can’t get past the the thought of Ozzie and his fam on tv…yikes.

At least Denny Doherty of the Mama’s and the Papas hid behind the screen when he played the voice of Theodore Tugboat.

17. Glovjuice says:

northerndancer: Tell us what you really feel lol.I grew up listening to Sabbath.First album or 2 that I ever owned.I probably still have those first 4 albums in my basement.But I now can’t get past the the thought of Ozzie and his fam on tv…yikes.

Yikes, you let Ozzy’s tv show impact your enjoyment of Sabbath. Wow.

18. northerndancer says:

Glovjuice,

Glovjuice: Yikes, you let Ozzy’s tv show impact your enjoyment of Sabbath. Wow.

Not so fast. I let life get in the way of Sabbath. No time to rest.

19. northerndancer says:

northerndancer,
    I have begun surfing for random ‘prog rock’ these evenings. Some interesting choices to amuse my sweetie who grew up on classical music and pop. I usually get to squeeze one or two obscure scandanavian choices into the evening DJ mix before I get a suggestion. I need more time lying in the lake and looking at the clouds, whilst wearing headphones.

20. JimmyV1965 says:

€√¥£€^$:
    JimmyV1965,

I sent my email to:bnicholson@edmontonoilers.com and Cc’d wgretzky@edmontonoilers.com & dkatz@edmontonoilers.com

*edited

The Gretzky email didn’t go through, as it was bounced back as not a valid email address.Whether or not they were filtered & sent to junk folder, I have no idea.

Thanks for that. Maybe we should try to organize a mass email campaign. All the people in this site anyhow.

21. northerndancer says:

Before I end the evening, LT if you still read these lame, non-hockey comments, perhaps give a thought to seeding a question among your loyal and varied readers: what music did they listen to while preparing for or travelling to hockey games when they were young? And why?

Deep Purple – good for a goal a night.
    Thanks again.

Go oilers.

22. Glovjuice says:

northerndancer:
    Glovjuice,

Not so fast.I let life get in the way of Sabbath.No time to rest.

Weird. Music takes no time. It can be played in parallel to life.

23. northerndancer says:

Glovjuice,

The joys of children mean the world gets wider, deeper. More people, more musical choices. So many tunes, so little time.

24. Glovjuice says:

northerndancer:
    northerndancer,
    I have begun surfing for random ‘prog rock’ these evenings.Some interesting choices to amuse my sweetie who grew up on classical music and pop.I usually get to squeeze one or two obscure scandanavian choices into the evening DJ mix before I get a suggestion.I need more time lying in the lake and looking at the clouds, whilst wearing headphones.

Check out the album Terminal by Circle. It’s cool new Prog. Or all the Grails albums.

25. northerndancer says:

Glovjuice,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will.

26. Professor Q says:

I do enjoy a lot of those bands, too. Misfits, Iron Maiden, Ramones, Type O Negative; eclectic works, I know.

27. Chief Inspector says:

OriginalPouzar: He was very good in the tournament last year (increased his role throughout) and excellent this year but I don’t think we should discount his play for Guelph this year – he’s had a very good year and his offence was spiking over the last month.

I’m very excited to see how he does in Bakersfield next year (and he had a solid 5 games or so from what I can remember at the end of last year).

Thank you both. He seems to rise to the level of competition so far.

28. northerndancer says:

Professor Q: I know it’s his solo work, and I know nothing about music, but the opening riff to Crazy Train could have made for an epic song, and doesn’t fit with the rest of the song it’s in.

Music is so accessible these days…making a living playing is another thing. But I have hugely eclectic tastes and anything I think of I can hear within a couple of minutes. Very different times from having to pay 15 bucks for a new release album. One of my kids has a massive hard drive for her music. I name a song and she asks which version of which artist to I want to hear. I stopped listening to anything but live music for a couple of decades because I was overloaded. Or not loaded?

29. Geranium Lover says:

northerndancer: Hitchock mentioned the other day how the players are monitored for fatigue? at practices and that practices are tailored accordingly.
    Does anyone know what they are measuring or how it is done?

My guess is they are monitoring heart rate data. Knowing the max heart rate, you can then tailor workouts and track fitness + fatigue levels over time.

Edit: Hitch mentioned they have something in the shoulder pads that does the monitoring.

30. €√¥£€^$ says:

northerndancer,

This was an email I sent last year imploring Nicholson/Katz et al, to fire Chiarelli, because he built a sinking ship and was in fear of irreversible damage and McLellan, because he consistently made poor in-game decisions and did not have thatability to get best out his rosters.

Further, I suggested Ralph Krueger be issued an apology for his idiotic firing and the offered the POHO/GM position and that Todd Nelson be brought in as coach. I also suggested LT would be a great GM if Krueger could not or would not accept the position.

31. €√¥£€^$ says:

hunter1909: You would know that if you were a Tier 1 fan; the only kind of fan the Oilers care about.

I am a tier 4 fan and I just guessed the email addresses….

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

northerndancer:
    northerndancer,

33. Glovjuice says:

northerndancer: Music is so accessible these days…making a living playing is another thing.But I have hugely eclectic tastes and anything I think of I can hear within a couple of minutes.Very different times from having to pay 15 bucks for a new release album.One of my kids has a massive hard drive for her music.I name a song and she asks which version of which artist to I want to hear.I stopped listening to anything but live music for a couple of decades because I was overloaded.Or not loaded?

34. Glovjuice says:

Bruce McCurdy: Not sure where you live, but here in Greater Edmonton, CJSR has a cool program on Monday nights from 2100 – 2300 called The Erotic Dancer’s Guide to Fine Music that they bill as “the only prog rock show on the prairies”. I’ve tuned in a number of times & like it plenty.

Cool

35. €√¥£€^$ says:

OriginalPouzar,

Reach iut to George, aka The Gentleman Backpacker, you can find him on Twitter, I am sure he has plenty of recommendations.

Strike that he hasn’t been active there in a few years, but here’s his website, his email is there, if you can’t find it let me know I have it.

thegentlemanbackpacker.com

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

northerndancer:
    Before I end the evening, LT if you still read these lame, non-hockey comments, perhaps give a thought to seeding a question among your loyal and varied readers:what music did they listen to while preparing for or travelling to hockey games when they were young?And why?

Deep Purple –good for a goal a night.
    Thanks again.

Go oilers.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

€√¥£€^$:
    OriginalPouzar,

thegentlemanbackpacker.com

George has shown up in my feed the last week or so, after a long absence. DM’d me a New Year’s greeting among other commentary. Pleasant surprise.

38. northerndancer says:

Thanks Bruce, I live in the Kootenays. Everything you want at your fingertips via high speed. I will check out the cjsr show. I need one ear for cbc, one for cjsr or Kootenay co-op radio and another one for game nights with good ol Kevin Quinn or whoever.
    BTW I listen to your podcast rants. Thanks for those bits of ranting and cheering. Call’em like you see um. Great stuff. Seriously. You need a dart board for the grades. Maybe get some help from the ATA!

39. northerndancer says:

Bruce McCurdy: Depends on one’s definition of “young”, but when I was a season ticket holder in my 20’s & early 30’s my buds & I would often listen to Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd or King Crimson while enroute to the Coliseum.

All of those and more in the 80’s. Talking Heads. Fantastic. My earliest memories of knowing I wouldn’t “make it” as a young player involved listening to Deep Purple while travelling to games in west central Saskatchewan on Old Blue. On a panasonic cassette player no less.

40. northerndancer says:

Glovjuice: Loaded. Nice VU Album. Wonder what Connor or Puli listen to. Probably Gordon Lightfoot and AbbA, respectively.

NIce. Real nice.

41. Glovjuice says:

I have every album those four artists.

42. Professor Q says:

Oh, yes. Lots of Phil Collins. Cher’s Believe was a big hit, too. When …Hits came out, along with the Tarzan soundtrack, he was über popular.

Along with a lot of the usual late 1990s and early 2000s Canadian radio hits.

Shania Twain. Celine Dion (Titanic!). Creed. Nickelback. The Tea Party. The Backstreet Boys. The Spice Girls. Alice Deejay. Aqua. Hanson. 98°. Ricky Martin. Toby Keith.

And so Much More Music!

As an aside, I watched Strange Days only in like 2017, and I hadn’t really listened to Peter Gabriel before. His soundtrack work is simply amazing artistry and really made that film (awesome film, by the way). Good choice, Bruce.

43. v4ance says:

€√¥£€^$:
    OriginalPouzar,

thegentlemanbackpacker.com

George is on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/georgenobechi/ Has some great photos of Japan

EDIT: In his Instagram bio, he actually lists himself as “JP Travel Expert” 🙂

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors put 51 shots on net but lose 5-4.

Marody had a goal from Benson.

Lagesson has a 2nd assist.

Bear has a 2nd assist on the PP.

Other than that is was the lesser names in on the production.

Dylan Wells got yet another start and stopped 26 of 31 – he did have a couple big saves including a nice one on a breakaway before I had to head off to bed.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

smellyglove: Enjoying the world in style, my hat’s off to you OP. Very jealous.

As I said earlier, I am very grateful for the opportunity to do so – I work my ass off for the ability and the wife and I have made big decisions to prioritize travel (i.e. no kids, etc.), however, hard work and prioritization does not make up for the lack of opportunity that growing up a white, male in Canada in a middle-class family afforded me.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice: I’m afraid not. Neither can skate well enough for the current NHL.

Not every player that isn’t a plus skater is a bust.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

northerndancer: Thanks for the reply, LT.
    Are the Condors games on youtube or ???
    Development of these kids is so hard to predict.You do a reasonable job in taking up the challenge but so many factors at play.Success in the NHL is such a narrow measure of a young persons life and the balls in the air – physical, emotional, situational, luck – all at play at the same time.

One can buy a season pass to a team on Theahl.com for under $60. For me, it has been a huge value purchase. The only issue is most games are west coast games and I wake up so early in the morning, I see very few 3rd periods.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$:
    OriginalPouzar,

thegentlemanbackpacker.com

Thanks – I do, somewhat vaguely, remember this person/poster.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

Will be nice to have Chiasson back in the lineup tonight.

Here is hoping that Spooner is in and Joe G. is the healthy scratch – at some point, Spooner is going to start to provide offence – he has a history of doing so – I wish he’d get a real shot in the top 6.

Here is hoping that Kris Russell is also active for tonight and, assuming both Russell and Chiasson are activated, Joe G., and not Kevin Gravel, is the re-assignment.

50. Glovjuice says:

Professor Q: So, when I was waking up at 6:30 and rushing to get ready avec my brother to appease a frustrated and hurried mother, the drives to and fro the practices and games would actually include one artist who seems to divide Peter Gabriel fans: Phil Collins.

Along with a lot of the usual late 1990s and early 2000s Canadian radio hits.

And so Much More Music!

Peter Gabriel’s performance on the epic double album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway really is awesome. Phil Collins is amazing as well – crazy that the drummer from all the Peter Gabriel era Genesis stuff ALSO sang mid, late era Genesis and then also went on to a totally massive solo pop career. Blows my mind how talented Phil is.

51. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar: Lack of plus skating is not a game breaker for an NHL career – there are many NHL players that are average skaters. Marody’s skating likely keeps him from being a center at the NHL level but it doesn’t preclude him from potentially developing in to a solid bottom 6 or even middle 6 winger.

Not every player that isn’t a plus skater is a bust.

52. Jethro Tull says:

Prog rock eh? Wouldn’t know anything about that…..

53. Bank Shot says:

Glovjuice: I’m afraid not. Neither can skate well enough for the current NHL.

Good thing we picked the smooth skating Puljujarvi over that slug Tkachuk. 🙁

On the flip side, Bennett is a better skater than Draisaitl.

I’m not sure when the narrative became speed is the only thing that matters, but there is way more clutch and grab in the current NHL then there was for the first few years after the lost season.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice: I’m not categorically saying that you need to be a plus skater to make it in the NHL – that is obviously not the case as there are still many average skaters in the league. My assessment of these players is that their average to below average skating (for Marody anyway) combined with the rest of their package is not good enough to be anything more than 8-12 level forwards. I guess for where they were picked 8-12 is all you can expect. I just think that the Benson pick was riskier than it needed to be at the early 30’s.

The statement above doesn’t seem to jive with your assessment of a guy like Evan Bouchard – he may not be a plus skaters and you use that as a reason to talk about how risky the pick it notwithstanding certain of his skills that have led to generational production.

55. Glovjuice says:

Bank Shot: Good thing we picked the smooth skating Puljujarvi over that slug Tkachuk.

On the flip side, Bennett is a better skater than Draisaitl.

Well, tkchuk is definitely a better skater than Benson. Also, Puli is smooth and has good top speed but his edges and control is clearly impacting his top end in my mind – he is NOT an overall plus skater – just fast.

56. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar: It seems every single prospect that is not a plus skater you posit will not make it.

Different position.

57. Younger Oil says:

I think even Caggiula could have defended that better than Manning.

What the hell was that?!?!

« Older Comments