Game 42 2018-19: Oilers at Ducks

Ken Hitchcock said “The start? We had one player show up to play, Darnell Nurse. Was our best player by a mile. He was one of the most competitive players on the ice, and that’s all we had. We didn’t compete. Their best players were their best players. We didn’t compete. This is on everybody. Everybody. When you have one player competing at a high level in a game like this, it can’t be accepted. There’s been too much of this go on in the first 41 games. We win one, and then we take our foot off the gas and that’s exactly what we did, but when one guy is at that level, and everyone else is struggling even to compete for a puck, come on. It’s what happens when you don’t show up.”

Ken Hitchcock then said “We’re a situation motivated team. The situation motivates us. It has to come from within the locker room. So, you or I or anyone else can bark or bitch or scream and yell all we want, but it has to come from inside the locker room. The situation is motivating us, I’ve only been here 20 games, and I see the situation motivates. We lose, we get embarrassed, we get motivated. It isn’t a playoff attitude and we have to change. This can’t be acceptable, when you have one player that’s that far ahead of everyone else, that can’t be acceptable.”

“I don’t know what it is, we’ll figure it out. I’ve said enough, I’ll get myself in even further trouble, this isn’t acceptable.”

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Oilers No. 10 prospect Winter 2018: Dylan Wells.
  • New Jonathan Willis: The Oilers have a shoddy roster and when they’re bad, they’re really bad.
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: From 2 to 98, Oilers share the stories behind their jersey numbers.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Edmonton’s collection of prospect defencemen gives the team options now, in the future and in trade talks
  • New Jonathan Willis: With Mikko Koskinen and Cam Talbot bound for free agency, what is the Oilers goaltending plan?
  • New Lowetide: What could the Oilers acquire in a Jesse Puljujarvi trade?
  • New Jonathan Willis: The Edmonton Oilers are one good summer away from being competitive.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 9 prospect Winter 2018: Joel Persson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 8 prospect Winter 2018: Kirill Maksimov.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 7 prospect Winter 2018: Caleb Jones
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect winter 2018: Cooper Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect winter 2018: Ethan Bear.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect winter 2018: Ryan McLeod.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect winter 2018: Tyler Benson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect winter 2018: Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect winter 2018: Evan Bouchard.

OILERS AFTER 42

• Oilers in 2015: 17-22-3, 37 points; goal differential -22
  • Oilers in 2016: 21-14-7, 49 points; goal differential +5
  • Oilers in 2017: 18-21-3, 39 points; goal differential -21
  • Oilers in 2018: 19-19-3, 41 points; goal differential -10

Ken Hitchcock is 10-9-2 as Oilers coach, but 8-2-1 before Klefbom’s injury and 2-7-1 with the Swedish defenseman out. That’s a major story this season, along with Koskinen’s outstanding first half and the McDavid/Draisaitl/Nuge performances up front. Another major story? How this team reacts after the dressing down Hitchcock gave them. I think that might have been the last good bullet he had in the chamber. If the Oilers fall flat against Ducks fall flat tonight, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs over the next six months.

OILERS IN JANUARY

• Oilers in January 2016: 2-1-0, four points; goal differential 0
  • Oilers in January 2017: 2-1-0, four points; goal differential 0
  • Oilers in January 2018: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -8
  • Oilers in January 2019: 1-1-0, two points; goal differential -3

WHAT TO EXPECT IN JANUARY

• On the road to: Arizona, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 2-2-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Florida, Arizona, Buffalo (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Calgary, Carolina, Detroit (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-5-2, 10 points in 11 games
  • Current results: 1-1-0, two points in two games

There is still, incredibly, time. However, I do think the bigger problem is that the Oilers are trying to make a connection that isn’t there. Whenever I write “don’t trade picks and prospects trying for eighth place” there’s at least one person who responds “the Oilers are going to waste another year of McDavid!” and my answer is this: Do you want to waste one more, or four more?

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Larsson went 11-7 in 15:22, 4-5 shots, 0-1 goals and 1-2 HDSC. They were the best pairing on the night, but also spent 10 minutes with McDavid and that’s a helluva foot on the scale. Were 10-3 in 7:09 against Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown, but did give up the goal to that unit in garbage time. Both men made mistakes we’ve seen too many times this year: Larsson stood up in the neutral zone but allowed to many horses behind him and became a spectator. Nurse recognized his man too late and represented nothing more than window dressing on the goal.
  • Jones-Gravel went 6-4 in 12:36, 4-3 shots, no goals and 1-0 HDSC. I generally liked the pairing, Jones got walked on the first goal but you’re fine with it because the young man has played so well. It was striking to witness because he has been so mistake free. Went 1-5 in 7:28 against Leipsic-Carter-Iafollo.
  • Manning-Petrovic were 6-4 in 6:54, 0-3 shots, 0-2 goals, 0-1 HDSC. Manning’s pinch was epic, but not the good epic, while Petrovic wasn’t much use on the Toffoli goal. I don’t think we’ll see this pairing tonight. Slow, slower, slowest.
  • Mikko Koskinen stopped five of eight shots, Cam Talbot 14 of 15.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Spooner-Brodziak-Rattie were 5-2 in 5:10 and 2-1 shots, 0-1 goals. I thought Rattie moved the puck well and had some moments, but this trio didn’t move the needle.
  • Lucic-Khaira-Puljujarvi went 6-2 in 6:42 (Lucic) and 3-3 in 7:25 (Puljujarvi, also 0-2 goals). The line was also in photo twice as a group, the most memorable moment Puljujarvi drawing a penalty by moving his legs.
  • Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian went 10-8 in 15:36 (Draisaitl, 0-1 goals), 4-4 in 9:19 (Kassian) and 4-1 in 5:07 (Chiasson). I thought McDavid and Draisaitl were the actual best players, but Hitch didn’t mention them in his chat.
  • Rieder-Nuge-Chiasson were 6-6 in 7:46, Rattie had a dandy chance but not much else shaking. Both Rattie and Pulju saw time with 93, perhaps one will be alongside tonight.

COMMENTS

I’m writing this at 8:26, just before publishing. The great thing about Hitch’s comments is also the bad thing about Hitch’s comments: There isn’t much else to say. Even if you believe this roster is horribly flawed (it is), even if you believe the McDavid On-Off number hasn’t improved one iota (it has not), you have every right to expect the Oilers to work hard and smart every night.

There are men who played last night who may not be in the NHL next season. I wonder what those men are thinking this morning as they wake up to another day.

440 Responses to "Game 42 2018-19: Oilers at Ducks"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

My preference for tonight’s lines would be:

Khaira/McDavid/Rattie
    Rieder/Drai/Chiasson
    Spooner/Nuge/Puljujarvi
    Joe G./Brodz/Kassian

That 2nd line has scored 5G and given up 1G in 100 minutes at 5 on 5 which is a beautiful stat line away from McDavid.

Coach moving Chiasson off that line and to play with McDavid is as mind-boggling to me as Coach McLellan starting Drake’s career at 3C (after being a career winger at North Dakota and missing the first 6 weeks of the season with injury).

2. Jethro Tull says:

Bank Shot:
    Contest time!

Pick the game that Tobias Rieder scores his first goal of the season and I’ll send you two tickets to Edmonton vs Dallas on March 28th.

Pick the game, the period, and the time on the clock. Whoever gets closest wins the grand prize!

Hopefully he scores before then.

Let the festivities commence!

As of right now Mantis is the only entrant so if Rider scores tonight, he gets the tickets by default.

🎶All my friends love Tobias Rieder
    🎶His 5on5/60 should be a little higher
    🎶Banksie’s giving his tickets to some lucky Lowetider
    🎶Guess the next goal by our boy Rieder

🎶Connor’s getting tripped, Connor’s getting tripped, just see
    🎶Connor’s getting tripped, Connor’s getting tripped, just see

3. BONE207 says:

Bank Shot:
    Contest time!

Hopefully he scores before then.

Let the festivities commence!

Ok Bank…I’ll be your huckleberry.
    Reider almost had one against Arizona. They play them again on January 12th. I’ll say 2nd period 12 minutes in.

As for grand prize, even given tickets, the night may be a Bendolson Date. Expensive drinks, Woodguy yelling at refs & no numnums at the end of the night.

4. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Makes me think Lucic is riding the pine tonight. Not letting the media know until game time.

5. digger50 says:

Rube Foster: You raise a good point. The answer, as to all bad hypothetical questions that gaze backwards in time is “we’ll never know”.

Digger & DRGLEN

Being a leader,means being accountable and setting an example. As I recall when Hendrick’s took his place in the press box he never sulked or bitched, he worked his ass off in Practice to earn his spot back on the roster, that’s what good pros are supposed to do, no?

I do NOT fault Chiarelli for constructing and executing a plan.I’ll even go so far as to give him credit that his plan worked… for a year.

Yes, Chiarelli had some poor advice and yes, luck both good and bad is a tremendous factor.My point is that it would appear that Chiarelli’s Plan has failed and evidence would suggest that there is not new plan in place.

I guess the better question is, why should we believe that Peter Chiarelli is capable of creating and executing new and successful plan for the Edmonton Oilers?

The bottom line, the NHL is a results driven business.Results driven businesses demand accountability to achieve success.Where is the accountability for Chiarelli and Lucic?

Umm, not sure if you are targeting me pro Chiarelli. That’s enough to get shot around here.

I’m happy I got my Peter rants out when we were winning. Seems you get a more logical position than when influenced by a 7/8 loss streak. My position is that enough evidence is in, the Oilers need a new GM and a reset. Not a rebuild, I don’t want to start at square one.

Playoffs or not, the direction moving forward should be clear to all.

6. Jethro Tull says:

Bank Shot:
    Contest time!

Hopefully he scores before then.

Let the festivities commence!

Tonight, tonight. 1st period. 15:30.

7. drglen says:

Jethro Tull: All my friends love Tobias Rieder
    His 5on5/60 should be a little higher
    Banksie’s giving his tickets to some lucky Lowetider
    Guess the next goal by our boy Rieder

Connor’s getting tripped, Connor’s getting tripped, just see
    Connor’s getting tripped, Connor’s getting tripped, just see

very funny! da da da da da da da. da da. da. da. da. …..

8. Ben says:

BONE207,

Dude…

9. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: My preference for tonight’s lines would be:
    Khaira/McDavid/Rattie
    Rieder/Drai/Chiasson
    Spooner/Nuge/Puljujarvi
    Joe G./Brodz/Kassian

Looks good.

I’d go-

16 – 97 – 98

23 – 29 – 39

22 – 93 – 8

45 – 28 – 44

25 – 83

82 – 4

5 – 6

Both corps rolled. No double-shifting 97 unless it’s late. No 1st/2nd/3rd pairing distinction.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Dicky94:
    OriginalPouzar,

Makes me think Lucic is riding the pine tonight.Not letting the media know until game time.

Maybe but sometimes it just doesn’t come out on the road, in particular in situations where they don’t skate in the morning (I assume they didn’t today, even though LA to ANA isn’t really travel).

11. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: Looks good.

I’d go-

16 – 97 – 98

23 – 29 – 39

22 – 93 – 8

45 – 28 – 44

25 – 83

82 – 4

5 – 6

I’m fine with switching JP and Rattie (although I think JP can impact the game positively on the 3rd line better than Rattie).

Even though I’ve been express that Spooner needs a legit shot in the top 6, at this point, I’d prefer Rieder as 2LW given the success of that trio in the past (5GF/1GA in 100 min at 5 on 5).

I’m not sure what to make of that defence – what I do know is that Hitch expressed that 25/4 would be reunited once Russell was ready.

12. Glovjuice says:

Rube Foster:
    I suppose at times like these it’s obligatory to rehash Chiarelli’s greatest misses.I know it’s not constructive in the least, but at times like these it seems like a bit of a… release.

When Chiarelli acquired Lucic, there was a narrative that The Hall for Larson Trade was in essence a Hall for a much needed 1RD and $6 Million dollars of cap space to spend on a winger – essentially Hall out = Larson and Lucic in. Though not entirely accurate, that narrative was easy to follow and taken as gospel by a large number of Oiler fans.

Navel gazing question of the day – had we just kept Hall and signed Demers to play top pairing RD where might we be today? As terrible of a rhetorical question as that is, the clarity of hindsight tells us the Oiler’s would be… better.

Chiarelli began his tenure as Oilers GM with a plan and a vision. Pete’s vision of the Oiler’s had Milan Lucic being the spiritual and physicalleader of the Edmonton Oilers, scoring 50pts a year for the length of his buyout proof contract and ensuring no one laid a finger on Connor, Leon, Nuge, Ebs and dare I say Yak.

Pete’s vision for the Oiler’s included a Boston style of “Heavy Hockey” that featured a top D-pairing of minute munching, hard to play against beasts named Adam and Griffin. He could then make some tweaks along the way and pick up some players that fit the “Heavy Hockey” mould ala Pat Maroon and then Connor McDavid would do the rest and take the Oiler’s to the promise land.

It’s fair to give credit when credit is due – The Pete Plan worked… for one year.

Since that time Lucic has become a shadow of his former self, to the point where we can not be certain that he belongs in the NHL.The elements he brought to have impact on winning NHL Hockey games have vanished before our eyes and the way the game is played in 2019 makes Milan Lucic look like a relic from another era.

Griffin Reinhart now plays solid if not spectacular minutes for the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. The talent we shed in his acquisition would be manna from heaven at this moment.Eberle and Yak were literally turned into dust. The talent bleed in quest of Pete’s Plan has been staggering.

The Pete Plan has run into the ditch, it has burned to the ground, it is no more. We now have a GM running the Oilers whose plan has failed in real time. We have a GM who no longer has a plan or a vision and as a consequence we have the bizarre series of reactive roster moves and acquisitions that we have seen this year.

The odd and puzzling roster moves featuring Aberg, Garrison, Spooner, Wideman, Zykov, Petrovic, Manning, Strome, Cagguila, the mishandling of Yamamoto and Puljujarvi. All reactive moves, void of thoughtful strategic purpose. These are for the most part moves void of any indication that there is currently a New Plan in place of the 2018/19 Edmonton Oilers.

The only consistent and purposefully “strategic” deployment of a “Plan” appears to be the misguided and stubborn belief the Milan Lucic can help an NHL Hockey team win games in 2019.

Can we agree that the Pete Plan has failed? Is there anyone who believes that Pete’s Plan can be salvaged or saved? Is there anyone who believes that Peter Chiarelli is capable of building and deploying a new and better plan?

I believe the answers to those questions dictate that it is clearly time for a new vision and plan for the Edmonton Oilers and it is time for new architects to create and execute that plan.

The Rube has it figured – and, has the chops to articulate it perfectly. Unlike me.

13. digger50 says:

Bank Shot:
    Contest time!

Hopefully he scores before then.

Let the festivities commence!

Sounds fun

I will guess Sharks second period 14:21

Assist to Draisait

14. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    That feeling you get when you realize Steve “I’m signing Hordichuk, Eager, and Barker” Tambellini had the best team depth among the Oiler GMs over the past 12 seasons.

Man.

Season –5v5 GF Star Off – GM
    18/19 –38.7% –Chiarelli
    17/18 –41.1% –Chiarelli
    16/17 –48.9% –Chiarelli
    15/16 –40.0% –Chiarelli
    14/15 –36.1% –MacTavish
    13/14 –38.7% –MacTavish
    2013 –43.3% –Tambellini
    11/12 –42.4% –Tambellini
    10/11 –41.1% –Tambellini
    09/10 –37.8% –Tambellini
    08/09 –49.2% –Tambellini
    07/08 –44.7% –Lowe

Tambo also hired Krueger, who actually had the oilers playing decent hockey in a season where they only played against the western conference (way stronger at the time) because of the lockout. Oh yeah, and Krueger didn’t even have a training camp that year. MacT found the solution for that success though with Dallas Eakins, and fired up the old webcam to fire Krueger. You could literally write a book about how this organization is just inept at everything.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Jack Michael’s:

Khaira-McDavid-Kassian
    Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Gambardella-Brodziak-Rattie

Jones-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Gravel-Petrovic

Talbot starts…

I would posit that the Drai line is the 2nd line not the 3rd line and I’m glad to see the Rieder/Drai/Chiasson line back together like I’ve suggested.

I still don’t see how Rattie on the 4th line is something that is likely to be effective – he should be switched with Kass – it would make the 1st and 4th lines both better, in my opinion.

Of course, its Spooner that sits, not Lucic – not overly surprised.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan McLeod with an empty net goal to seal the 2-0 win for Saginaw.

17. BeerMe says:

The Eagles survive by a double doink after icing the kicker, that was nuts

18. Gret99zky says:

Professor Q:
    Speaking of last night’s game, I had the FOX feed and apparently there was a Doughty elbow to McDavid’s head.

Not sure what came of it.

Impossible.

If Doughty or any other King were to go anywhere near #97 Milan Lucic would rip their fucking head off!

Fact.

19. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi

This is malpractice.

I like Hitch and I like a lot of his philosophies, but this is absurd unless it’s some kind of message, which would be similarly absurd.

20. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As per Jack Michael’s:

Khaira-McDavid-Kassian
    Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Gambardella-Brodziak-Rattie

Jones-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Gravel-Petrovic

Talbot starts…

Of course, its Spooner that sits, not Lucic – not overly surprised.

Our team traded our right shot, penalty killing 3C for a player worthy of scratching.

21. Glovjuice says:

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR: Tambo also hired Krueger, who actually had the oilers playing decent hockey in a season where they only played against the western conference (way stronger at the time) because of the lockout.Oh yeah, and Krueger didn’t even have a training camp that year.MacT found the solution for that success though with Dallas Eakins, and fired up the old webcam to fire Krueger.You could literally write a book about how this organization is just inept at everything.

Worst org. In pro sports since 06.

22. jtblack says:

Bad Contract:

Ryan Kesler has 6 points in 39 games this season. Cap hit of $6.875M this season + the next 3 more.

23. Gerta Rauss says:

that pregame piece with Ron Mclean are the first public comments I’ve seen from Craig MacTavish since he got promoted *cough* to whatever his title is now…more than 3.5 years

*edit-not that I’ve been looking for comments from MacTavish, or perhaps he has spoken publicly, I just haven’t seen him since April ’15

24. Scungilli Slushy says:

Gerta Rauss:
    that pregame piece with Ron Mclean are the first public comments I’ve seen from Craig MacTavish sincehe got promoted *cough* to whatever his title is now…more than 3.5 years

Mwo Mwo (Scooby voice)

25. Gerta Rauss says:

Dave Randorf again tonight-that’s never good news

26. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Unbelievable. Well Lucic…. you have 11 minutes to resurrect your career.

27. HugThePost says:

Wilde: This is malpractice.

The irony of the entire Lucic Saga in the last 2 years is just stunning. They trade away the pick that turns into Lucic. Then they spend the better part of a decade wasting draft picks trying to uncover their own Lucic. Then they land the real thing in a big splashy July 1 move but oh no, he’s washed up, his skills are gone and coke machine hockey is so 2000’s…… and it is evolving in real time as one of the most crippling moves the club has ever done personnel-wise.

Only the Oilers can author such a story.

28. Gerta Rauss says:

2 nice saves by Talbot early to keep things even

29. Munny says:

An actual breakout and a shot.

30. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Wilde: This is malpractice.

31. drglen says:

ok just tuned in. 0 0 things are going great so far.

Gerta Rauss:

what did he say?

32. BONE207 says:

Why can’t this team shoot? 1 shot after 8 minutes…

33. BONE207 says:

CONNOR

34. Munny says:

Somehow the Oilers score first. McDeity.

35. HugThePost says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: I’m in the same camp. Love Hitch. And I was a big fan of Lucic at the time of the signing and never saw this coming so soon. I was wrong. Enough is enough. It’s time he took a seat. He can’t help this team on the ice.

36. Gerta Rauss says:

hehe….McD with a 2nd and 3rd attempt in the crease and goal..

37. drglen says:

yay connor. helped by Kassian!!!

38. Gerta Rauss says:

drglen:
    ok just tuned in. 0 0 things are going great so far.

what did he say?

oh it was just puffery….motivated team, better result, yadda yadda…

nothing of substance

39. flyfish1168 says:

McDavid Points. Yahoo Glad we are not going to get shut out again

40. Zelepukin says:

HugThePost: Why can’t they just take his skates away and annoint the guy the team “Ice Combat Instructor”?

Gauntlet supervisor.

41. Zelepukin says:

Cage Rage referee

42. Caller Zen says:

Randorf sounds so disappointed that the Oilers scored first …how does this guy still have a job with Sportsnet?

43. HugThePost says:

Zelepukin:
    Cage Rage referee

haha

or he can be 97’s off-ice Luca Brasi. Just accompany the kid around town and pound on any fool who chirps his way.

44. BONE207 says:

Zelepukin: Gauntlet supervisor.

Goal Prevention Authority

45. Munny says:

T-Bot holding the fort.

46. Gerta Rauss says:

more Talbot

47. BONE207 says:

Talbot looks good so far

48. jake70 says:

That turnover by Khaira is so frustrating….pass it out.

49. BONE207 says:

We have zone pressure?

50. Gerta Rauss says:

BONE207:
    We have zone pressure?

shocking, and Lucic had a couple of nice touches

51. Dicky94 says:

jake70,

Too busy trying to get it to McDavid.

52. Ice Sage says:

Russell with the muscle. And Oilers have some hustle.
    They’re still pretty crappy though!

53. BeerMe says:

Caller Zen:

He’s leagues ahead of Quinn et al. Think you’re reading too much into it. I generally enjoy his calls

54. Gerta Rauss says:

Pulju with a greasy one

55. treevojo says:

The magic tongue

56. BONE207 says:

Jesse

57. Dicky94 says:

Wooot.

58. drglen says:

yay Jesse.

59. Munny says:

Somehow the Oilers score second.

60. BeerMe says:

TEARS OF JOY

61. Rich M says:

Good for Jesse.

62. Ben says:

WHO POOED IN THE POOL PARTY!!!!

63. Ice Sage says:

That’s a necessary goal for JP. Good arrow.

64. BONE207 says:

I knew the shooting thing is important. More shots than through 2 yesterday. Now if they could stop the Ducks from HDSC, that would be swell.

Nice little touch pass from Petrovic there to spring Rattie.

66. Dicky94 says:

Liking that 4th line.

67. Gerta Rauss says:

nice pass by Petrovic to send Rattie in alone

68. BONE207 says:

Nurse launched Henrique

69. BeerMe says:

That was an incredibly satisfying hit by Nurse

70. Dicky94 says:

That’s better boys!!

71. treevojo says:

Brod the bod

72. BONE207 says:

Damn Kesler…hanging on to Jones head & falls. Refs & Ducks vs Oilers…BRODZ

73. drglen says:

what the hell, … are we good?

74. BeerMe says:

beautiful

75. jake70 says:

Stick it Getzlaf and Kesler…

76. StixMalone says:

Karma for Kessler taking a dive….

77. Gerta Rauss says:

hahahahahahahaha…..

beautiful possession by Nuge and a backhand by Brodziak short handed

3-0 and kiss my ass Kesler

78. BONE207 says:

This game is exact opposite of yesterday.

79. Dicky94 says:

This game could get nasty now.

80. hags9k says:

Memo to team. We will need a 4th goal in this building. Keep going.

81. Hockey Project says:

Good on Brodziak. I thought Kesler took a dive, anyway.

82. flyfish1168 says:

Nothing better than seeing an angry Nurse

83. Rich M says:

Goals by someone besides McDavid, Drai and Nuge.

Sign of the apocalypse.

84. BeerMe says:

2 non-DraiMcNuge goals!

85. Ice Sage says:

Oh, man, now they have to go back to that toxic dressing room 😉

86. Gerta Rauss says:

well the first 5 min was keystone cops but the Oilers tilted the ice the last 15 min

nice period by Talbot

87. Ice Sage says:

flyfish1168:
    Nothing better than seeing an angry Nurse

For me, that depends on the size of the needle

88. BONE207 says:

jake70:
    Stick it Getzlaf and Kesler…

A couple more goals & we can turn Looch loose in the 3rd.
    #FinallyUseful

89. hags9k says:

Well the team itself has certainly not folded the tents on the season like so many people have. That is great to see. Big effort from Talbot on out so far.

After One:

Who are these people?

3-0 Edmonton
    14-13 Anaheim shots
    27-21 Anaheim Corsi for 5-on-5
    7-4 Edmonton HDSC

91. BONE207 says:

Ice Sage: For me, that depends on the size of the needle

Or the snap of the rubber glove.

92. LMHF#1 says:

jake70:
    Stick it Getzlaf and Kesler…

Deserves a crosscheck to the neck or an Iginla-Souray just as much as anyone.

93. BONE207 says:

Rich M:
    Goals by someone besides McDavid, Drai and Nuge.

Sign of the apocalypse.

🤣

94. jtblack says:

Jeckyll meet Hyde ??

95. €√¥£€^$ says:

Woodguy v2.0: A friend of mine is an artist.

Here is her site: http://www.deniselefebvre.com

My avatar is from an exercise she did in art school.

Cover a canvas in ink then scrape away the ink to create the image.

It’s called “Old Russian”

She hates it btw.

The original is in my home office.

96. drglen says:

flyfish1168:
    Nothing better than seeing an angry Nurse

here here. ‘beat his apse”

97. jtblack says:

Maybe Lucic can have a word with Ritchie ….

98. flyfish1168 says:

Ice Sage: For me, that depends on the size of the needle

lol. For me its where the needle is placed

99. jake70 says:

LMHF#1: In all seriousness…I’m surprised no one has gooned Getzlaf. He intentionally injured Sekera in the playoff series (go back and watch the game and the play before where Sekera got Getzlaf good if you don’t believe me) and the team’s been completely messed up since.

Deserves a crosscheck to the neck or an Iginla-Souray just as much as anyone.

100. hags9k says:

The Oilers need a lower, slower bandwagon. All this on and off is hard on a guy. Seriously this team is trying to kill me.

101. Zelepukin says:

I’ve said it before, say it again…

Your Edmonton Bipoilers

102. BONE207 says:

hags9k:
    The Oilers need a lower, slower bandwagon.All this on and off is hard on a guy.Seriously this team is trying to kill me.

A hoverboard. Another bad year & there will be lots of room as well

103. LMHF#1 says:

jake70: I think that team may have gotten by Nashville had Sekera not gotten hurt (Oilers win series). I really do, probably the only one but….

I think they go 6 and probably win that series.

If they’d had a different coach and a proper deadline I suspect we’re talking about McDavid chasing his second Cup last year…now I’m not even thinking it’s likely we’ll ever have that conversation.

104. BONE207 says:

Is it me or does Gambardella look slow or laboring?

105. Jethro Tull says:

€√¥£€^$: Man, ADHD…. I never looked closely at the photo I always thought it was Alfred Hitchcock.

WG was kind enough to tell me the story before. I always thought it was Jeremy Clarkson.

106. drglen says:

gambo and rattie not playing much at all

107. BONE207 says:

112. drglen says:

good bounce. Good goal leon

113. Gerta Rauss says:

sweet sweet sauce

4-0 Draisaitl

114. Ice Sage says:

Ducks is short for D-irty *ucks. Such a cheating team, if not for the colors of the jerseys, looks like 1998 out there.
    Atta boy Leon, beat em on the ice

115. BeerMe says:

Lucic actually made a great play there. holy

116. Dicky94 says:

I guess Lucic has no friends in Anaheim.

117. LMHF#1 says:

Elbows up gents. These Ducks are pathetic.

118. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Of course Lucic doesn’t get a point on that play.

But we know, right?

119. BONE207 says:

WTF…powerplay? Fuck these refs

120. Gerta Rauss says:

huh…Ducks get a PP out of that….

121. flyfish1168 says:

How the phuck does the ref see this as a PP for the ducks
    one of the most penalized teams and we are down on the count

122. StixMalone says:

And give the ducks a powerplay?

123. Munny says:

Even out penalties… what are you talking about, Louie?

124. jake70 says:

BONE207:
    WTF…powerplay? Fuck these refs

Getzlaf roughed up Drai pretty good…could have called that ….

125. BONE207 says:

Kesler hacking/whacking. Needs to be tuned in!!!

126. flyfish1168 says:

BONE207:
    Kesler hacking/whacking. Needs to be tuned in!!!

We should send Kassian

127. digger50 says:

I loved seeing Lucic do Lucic things. Strong as an ox and he’s not done yet.

128. hags9k says:

Refs are in “anything you guys want to do” mode with the Ducks now.

129. smellyglove says:

Ughh. I thought I swore off the Oilers this year, but I can’t.

Checked scoreboard, casually checking in on stream.

Jones with two apples for 10 games and four points (so far) with excellent rel Corsi. All Hail Jones.

130. Younger Oil says:

Bank Shot:
    Contest time!

Hopefully he scores before then.

Let the festivities commence!

January 14 against Buffalo, 16 minutes into the first period!

131. Pretendergast says:

One more actual NHL defenceman in Russell is nice, blocking plenty, the usual Russell ‘decent’ defending

132. Pretendergast says:

FFS goon squad out

133. BeerMe says:

McDavid has been out there for 3 minutes straight almost?

134. flyfish1168 says:

How is Charlie hit not a penalty

135. hags9k says:

Let’s brawl these guys. Seriously.

136. BONE207 says:

Oilers…let the dogs out. Duck season is on!!!

137. Ice Sage says:

Refs losing control of this one.

138. BeerMe says:

Gravel saved a 100% goal there

139. wood99 says:

Referring is disgusting.

140. digger50 says:

digger50:
    I loved seeing Lucic do Lucic things.Strong as an ox and he’s not done yet.

And send that clip to Carolina – fast!

141. Dicky94 says:

Ice Sage,

Yep. I wouldn’t play McDavid in the 3rd.

142. wood99 says:

NHL should be embarrassed with this travesty.

143. BONE207 says:

wood99:
    Referring is disgusting.

Reefering however is legal…🤣

144. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

digger50,

Honestly, if he could bring that once a game it would do wonders for how he’s perceived in Oil Country.

145. Dr. Taboggan says:

So goaltending seems to be a pretty important position in hockeying.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

Watching on tape delay so not up to live but that was a much better first period.

Goes to show how important goaltending is – Talbot was great in the first 5 minutes, well, the entire period, however, if he lets one in during the first 5 minutes, we likely have a MUCH different hockey game.

Go Oilers!

147. Zelepukin says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    digger50,

Ya someone needs to send him Laraque’s highlight reel. Spoiler alert, there are no snipes.

148. hags9k says:

We missed Russel far more than we will admit.

149. Bulging Twine says:

Woodguy v2.0: I watch the game with the sound off (unless I’m at my Mom’s)

Its easier to not puck watch and try to see who is doing what without the puck and seeing plays develop.

I often do as well and notice the exact same thing as you; that I see more of the whole game and less puck watching.
    But like you I watch with the sound on when I’m at your Mom’s

150. wood99 says:

Were a big team,we should start playing like one tonight. Instigate some shit.

151. Ice Sage says:

Dicky94:
    Ice Sage,

Yep. I wouldn’t play McDavid in the 3rd.

Lindholm needs to watch out in the 3rd. Looch and Destroy!

152. BONE207 says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    So goaltending seems to be a pretty important position in hockeying.

It’s up there for sure. Good shooting helps too….CONNOR!!!

153. drglen says:

hags9k:
    We missed Russel far more than we will admit.

maybe your right. you can’t always put for finger on it, but less bad stuff is happening.

154. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Man, that plus skating, awareness and tenacity of Cogliano would sure look good on the Oilers (to speak nothing of his outstanding durability).

Wonder if any parallels can be drawn/inferred to the Hall situation re: coaching input/personal maturation/professional growth, and how Andrew solely saw himself as a top-six centre on the Oilers?

Is this an example of why we can’t have nice things?

155. BeerMe says:

This is just a fantastic breath of fresh air. Let’s pray McCurdy doesn’t need a rubberized clipboard for the third.

156. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

wood99,

Au contraire!

I find word of mouth to be the tastiest of all forms of advertising.

157. Soup Fascist says:

I Reggie Dunlop hereby offer a bounty on the head of the backstabbing no-goodnick Duck assistant captain Ryan Kesler. A crisp $100 bill to the first Oiler to take Kesler out of the game.

158. wood99 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Refereeing is a travesty. Better 👍

159. BONE207 says:

flyfish1168: We should send Kassian

He might have heard you. He went after Kesler. Bring your shotgun for the 3rd. Or that cannon that we shoot our players out of…😉

160. jake70 says:

Love the score. But man are the Oilers weak on the puck in their own zone much of the game.

161. wood99 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Refereeing is frustrating McDavid. Nice to see him chirp the refs after that blatant hit from behind.

162. hags9k says:

Would love to see somebody, anybody go with Getzlaf. Don’t have to win just stand in there and survive. I’m sick of his shit but he is an actual mountain.

163. npanciroli says:

Wow just saw that play where McDavid got boarded and the ref just watched. Brutal and dangerous.

164. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

wood99,

Just joshing mang. Saw a fun pun and went for it.

165. BONE207 says:

World’s Longest Hockey Game…8 months till you feel your toes!!!
    I’d love to try it once. Great event…

166. wood99 says:

Getzlaf is not a good fighter. Gambardella should have tried to get him pissed and hope he can goad him into a penalty.

167. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

wood99,

I’d like to see him chirp the zebras more, if not to Gretz or Sid levels, but after blatant non-calls/miscalls/make-up calls. Some push back would infer a certain level of disdain toward the lack of professionalism or consistency exhibited by the refs that we all see from game to game.

168. wood99 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

No worries,enjoyed the retort. To many people with thin skin 😄

After Two:

4-0 Edmonton (1-0 in the second)
    31-19 Anaheim shots (17-6 Anaheim in the second)
    52-29 Anaheim Corsi for 5-on-5 (25-8 Anaheim in the second)
    11-9 Edmonton HDSC (5-4 Anaheim in the second)

170. flyfish1168 says:

Hitch 3rd period line for a couple of shifts

Lucic – Mcdavid – Kassian

171. wood99 says:

What I find frustrating is you tap the hands with your stick and it’s a penalty but you can hit from behind or throw two punches in a scrum and these are not penalties 🤨. On both incidents,the refs were 10 feet away looking straight at it. Frustrating!!!!

172. wood99 says:

As I have been critical of Talbot in the past,I should give him some kudos as he has played very well so far tonight.

173. BONE207 says:

wood99:
    What I find frustrating is you tap the hands with your stick and it’s a penalty but you can hit from behind or throw two punches in a scrum and these are not penalties . On both incidents,the refs were10 feet away looking straight at it. Frustrating!!!!

I hear ya Brother

174. OriginalPouzar says:

LMHF#1: te)  (Reply)

At the same time, it was during that series that I truly realized how dirty Getzlaf is but not on the play that hurt Sekera.

175. OriginalPouzar says:

BONE207:
    Is it me or does Gambardella look slow or laboring?

I was actually impressed with his skating at a few points – looked better than he does in the AHL to my eye.

176. OriginalPouzar says:

BONE207:
    Leon!!! LOOOCH assist?

Looch should have received the second assist on that play – it wasn’t initially awarded and I’m not sure if its been added after the fact as I’m still behind live (just through the 2nd period).

177. drglen says:

wood99:

guitly also. good job cam.

178. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

drglen,

Consistency is key to earning high praise.

We need to be able to count on at least average goalering to survive, anything better and we’re likely to thrive. Tough spot to be in, especially considering the glut of 5-8 defensemen we seem to have traditionally.

179. BONE207 says:

We want 5…and a shutout

180. Ice Sage says:

BONE207:
    We want 5…and a shutout

SSSSSSHHHHHHH

181. BONE207 says:

Ice Sage: SSSSSSHHHHHHH

You know … for goal differential

182. Munny says:

BONE207:
    We want 5…and a shutout

I need your exact location.

183. BONE207 says:

Munny: I need your exact location.

Cambot has this boys. Relax…

184. Ice Sage says:

Oilers doing a fantastic job tying up Ducks in close. That’s been the difference.

185. Gerta Rauss says:

kiss my ass Kesler

186. LMHF#1 says:

OriginalPouzar: I believe the Sekera injury to be on a fairly innocuous play and was just one of those things.

Watch the game again OP. You’ll see it.

187. BONE207 says:

A penalty. Thanks refs…assholes

188. wood99 says:

Holy f(:((k we got a power play.

189. Gerta Rauss says:

best game of the year for Talbot

maybe include last year as well

190. BeerMe says:

from 0-4, to 4-0.

191. Gerta Rauss says:

we can still salvage this road trip with a win upstate on Tuesday

192. Ice Sage says:

Well, I guess things COULD be worse.
    No sympathy for that Disney team, they’re arseholes even without Perry.

193. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Gerta Rauss,

More, please.

194. Dicky94 says:

Good game. More please.

195. BONE207 says:

Easy huh, Munny? Darryl & I sipping whiskey in his office knew how to fix last night. Just play Russell.

196. Munny says:

BONE207,

It’s an old Lowetide joke.

197. Munny says:

Well after being forced to watch last night’s game in a sea of Flames fans, I needed this.

Thank you, Hitch.

198. BONE207 says:

Munny:
    BONE207,

It’s an old Lowetide joke.

This place is built on old Lowetide jokes. It’s like glue & you can’t even wash it off with gas!!!

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »