AHL Game 37 2018-19: Heat at Condors

The 18-15-3 Bakersfield Condors will host Calgary’s farm club (Stockton: 16-19-3) tonight in AHL play. The Condors are easily the most interesting team the Oilers have iced during the California farm years and Bakersfield fans will be cheering for future NHLers on both sides tonight.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: The Oilers’ way forward and the smartest route to finding an impact winger this summer.
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
  • Jonathan Willis: Why the Oilers should make a decision on Peter Chiarelli this week.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers appear to be mere hours from doing something overbold
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 10 prospect Winter 2018: Dylan Wells.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 9 prospect Winter 2018: Joel Persson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 8 prospect Winter 2018: Kirill Maksimov.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 7 prospect Winter 2018: Caleb Jones
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect winter 2018: Cooper Marody
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect winter 2018: Ethan Bear.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect winter 2018: Ryan McLeod.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect winter 2018: Tyler Benson.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect winter 2018: Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect winter 2018: Evan Bouchard.

EL CONDORS PASA

• Jay Woodcroft on the performance of the Benson-Marody-Currie line Wednesday night: “They were very good for us, not just on the power play but also 5-on-5 as well. I thought they generated a lot of chances deep in the other team’s end.”

CURRENT CONDORS

• How many NHL players do you see here? I think the smart man guesses “none are certain” but there’s potential in every position. AND they’re playing, even the kids who are 20.
  • Jay Woodcroft is the best AHL coach employed by the Oilers since Claude Julien.
  • Four of my top 10 prospects are on this list.

PROJECTED 50-MAN ROSTER

• Edmonton currently has 15 players signed for next season at a projected $69 million cap. The last target number was $83 million, meaning the club has $14 million-ish, depending on how much money is in the couch and under the car seat.
  • The club will need to sign a goalie (more in a minute) and I expect we’re going to see some buyouts and trades.

BUYOUTS AND LTIR

• Ryan Spooner, Andrej Sekera, Milan Lucic are candidates for buyouts. Sekera can’t be bought out if he’s injured, but LTIR is available. I don’t think this Sekera situation is in any way decided, he’s supposed to be heading to Bakersfield at some point and the timing will inform us about possible return.

UNRESTRICTED: YOU MAKE THE CALL

• G Mikko Koskinen: I believe he’s going to get an extension from the Oilers. Edmonton probably brings in another backup, perhaps a substantial one.
  • G Cam Talbot: I don’t think he stays. No bad thoughts, though, he was integral in providing this team and its fans with an outstanding playoff run I’ll never forget.
  • G Al Montoya: This is his final season with the organization.
  • RD Alex Petrovic: I sincerely believe they’ll trade Matt Benning and sign Petrovic.
  • LD Kevin Gravel: I like him plenty, but the organization traded to get him out of the starting lineup during Klefbom’s absence. He’s gone.
  • R Alex Chiasson: He’s probably the most likely man on the list to be signed by the Oilers.
  • LD Ryan Stanton: Edmonton should have enough defensemen who are AHL bound (Keegan Lowe is under contract) to set him free.
  • LC Brad Malone: He could return, the organization is strong upper echelon but the AHL depth chart is not strong.
  • RW Mitch Callahan: I suspect he won’t be back. Edmonton needs an upgrade on the wings.

RESTRICTED: YOU MAKE THE CALL

• R Jesse Puljujarvi: I believe he’ll sign and spend a fourth season in “The Shining Hedge Maze” that is the Oilers development plan.
  • L Tobias Rieder: I hope they bring him back. It’s been a disappointing season but his skill set fits a need for the team.
  • R Ty Rattie: I don’t think he’ll return.
  • LC Jujhar Khaira: He’s a lock. Only concern is he’s the ask for a skill winger.
  • R Tyler Vesel: They may throw him back, not much offense.
  • LC Joe Gambardella: I think he has a chance. 50.50.
  • R Patrick Russell: See Gambardella. Fourth-line NHLer.
  • LC Colin Larkin: I don’t think he’ll be back.
  • RD Joel Persson: My guess is he’s here in the fall.
  • RD Robin Norell: I don’t think they’ll offer him a deal.
  • G Shane Starrett: He probably gets a contract.
  • RD Ryan Mantha: He’s not an RFA, but one expects his contract will end a year early if he is unable to return.

ENTERING THE SYSTEM

• LC Ryan McLeod. Not yet signed, which is curious, he damned near made the team one year ago.
  • RD Filip Berglund. With all of the graduating RH blue (Bouchard, Persson) already signed, I don’t know if he comes over this fall. He is a bonafide NHL prospect.
  • G Hayden Hawkey, F Joey Dudek and RD Vincent Desharnais. All must be signed by August 15 or become free agents. I think Hawkey has the best chance.

EVAN BOUCHARD

In my online reading, I see people up in arms over Craig Button’s omission of Evan Bouchard from his top 50 prospects list. Realistically, Edmonton had two candidates (Bouchard and Kailer Yamamoto) and Button has the winger as the top prospect in the organization. Craig Button doesn’t hate Evan Bouchard, he had him No. 9 on his 2018 draft list. My guess is the WJ’s weighed heavily on the decision and I have my own opinion about small sample sizes but Mr. Button has his own. I respect Button, have said that many times, but it doesn’t mean we have to agree and it doesn’t mean Evan Bouchard was a poor draft pick.

Corey Pronman’s latest mid-season prospect update for The Athletic has Bouchard at No. 24 and Corey goes into detail about the reasons. You might be angry that Pronman has ranked three defensemen chosen after No. 10 from the 2018 draft ahead of Bouchard, but I think you’re looking at it the wrong way.

These are informed opinions, not a supreme court decision handed down as final. I looked long and hard into Bouchard as a prospect from January through June of last year. I had him at No. 21 on my January list and No. 8 on my final list.

Nothing since that ranking has changed my mind on him. To the contrary, I’m convinced he’s going to be a productive NHL defenseman in outlet passing and on the power play. We don’t know about coverage, reading and reacting, and we do know he needs more urgency in his game upon NHL arrival. The rest is out there in the ether.

If you go a little crazy when someone expresses their opinion, it means you’re ill-informed, lack the courage of your convictions or enjoy panic in your daily life. A far better conversation, in my opinion, surrounds Bouchard versus Persson in the fall.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Friday! Cooold! We’ll help you start your day beginning at 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Crazy race in the western conference, Jarome Iginla being honored, Andy Murray’s career crossroads.
  • Christopher Price, Boston Sports Journal. The Patriots are two wins away from another Super Bowl.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Should the Oilers trade the first-round pick in an effort to make the playoffs?
  • Cam DaSilva, Rams Wire. The Rams have enough power to win the Super Bowl. Can they get it done?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide twitter. Talk soon!

261 Responses to "AHL Game 37 2018-19: Heat at Condors"

« Older Comments
  1. Theil says:

OriginalPouzar,

I could be wrong, and I don’t have the time to look it up… but isn’t Persson already signed? I thought they signed him last year, with the proviso that he was still going to play out this season in Sweden as he was under contract there?

2. Wilde says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    This year he’s up to 7 goals in 29 games, so 0.24 G/GP compared to last year’s 0.04, and not far off his previous AHL production, even under Todd Nelson. Just 1 assist though, not sure who his linemates are but I doubt he’s anywhere near the top 6.

Callahan plays mostly at wing on line 3/4, with with Centres Tyler Vesel or Luke Esposito, 3 and 4 respectively, although some games the shift-count is near equal for both units.

The guys on those units are typically Evan Polei, David Gust, and Brayden Christoffer. Everyone else is rotated up (from the ECHL or press-box, don’t keep track) like John MacFarland and Nolan Vesel; or down (from whoever’s odd man out in the top-six or sometimes Jay likes to spread his good players out and then shorten the bench later if they’re down) such as Josh Currie, Patrick Russell, Cameron Hebig, and Kailer Yamamoto.

The centre depth almost always goes Marody, Malone, Vesey, Esposito and those bottom two lines don’t get too much done offensively, so it’s not like Callahan is getting prime opportunity, but to my eye he’s a player I hardly believe had the boxcars in the past that he did. I’m nearly certain he was a swiss army knife of another coach who liked him to round out skill lines with more impressively talented duos and had his production boosted from there and powerplay time, because although his sense is good, he has very little creativity and none of his boots, shot or hands are that of a player who helps drive a line.

I’d posit either that a) he was a coach’s pet, Zach Hyman-type (nothing wrong with that) and shouldn’t be expected to produce down-lineup, or b) his physical body’s erosion has been somehow accelerated due to injury, botched recovery from injury, or some other unfortunate ailment.

His 27 points in 70 games (and 188 penalty minutes) in his draft year make me lean hard to a) with a peppering of b).

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Theil:
    OriginalPouzar,

Yes but I never professed otherwise….

4. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: He’s had a very solid/plus rookie year.

Importantly his skating seems to have increased through the season – more powerful to my eye.

He leads the team in scoring (and assists) and is 6th in the AHL in rookie scoring and 1st in rookie assists.

He only has four goals but leads the Condors with 95 shots and, to my eye, its not a shot selection issue.He’s a pass first, nice vision type player but I anticipate more goals in the 2nd half.

To my eye, he still makes a mistake or two a game at the bluelines and should not be an NHL option this year (and likely starts in the AHL next year) but he’s developing well.

This is the correct take on Benson.

I’ll speak to his 4 goals: his is a fairly weighted case of a pass-first player. His ratio of shot assists to shots is much further apart than any of the rest of the Condors forwards who have a respectable total rate of generation. Marody is perhaps the more impressive distributer on the forehand, but Benson is basically a poor man’s Leon Draisaitl on the backhand, especially with the fondness of area passes and aerial control.

I’m not a trained eye when it comes to shooting, but his seems to be at least NHL replacement level and wouldn’t be a huge issue if he were playing in the bigs today.

I’m fairly confident about his chances as a 3LW and 2nd PP guy around this time next year, and I mean that on legitimate merit as opposed to3LW /on the Oilers/, which are two (annoyingly) disparate things.

5. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q:
    Woodguy v2.0,

If he takes the Niedermayer-Crosby approach to core and leg focused training, he’ll be golden.

Or the McDavid one.

Connor should have all the boys with him in the summer gym. Or at least use the same training company. All of the younger players that need to improve skating should do what he does.

His training regimen is visibly evident in his play. Something perhaps to emulate.

6. who says:

Glass:
    I don’t really see the point of making a push for the playoffs next season and buying out players. If it was 1 or 2 candidates for buyouts, sure. That’s not the case though.

Spooner – $3.1m
    Kassian – $1.9m
    Manning – $2.25m
    Sekera – $5.5m
    Lucic – $6m

Buyout 1, and you still got 4 others that are pushing you up against the cap. Of the above contracts, Spooner, Kassian, and Manning’s contracts expire at the end of next season in addition to Benning’s $1.9m cap hit. That’s around $9m in cap opening up.

With $9m in cap you can sign a legit top-6 forward and more. I think we can make a push to be contenders in 2020/21 and onward, but I imagine we’ll be shooting our foot before then.

By then, Nurse and Klefbomb will be at 300 NHL GP. McLeod will likely have spend an entire year in the AHL, probably ready for the NHL 3C job. Benson will have 2 years of pro under his belt, likely gets a big push. We’ll have a legitimate RHD that can run the PP in Bouchard. Jones is an exceptional talent who will continue to progress.

Give it time.

Sekera could probably become a stable 3rd pairing D for us next season… I’d wait until the end of that season to buy him out or possibly even trade him retained.

I don’t think trading Russell is necessary. By the time his contract expires at the end of 2020/21 I imagine one of Jones, Bouchard, Persson, or Bear takes hold of that 2RD job.

I agree with all of this. Well said.

jtblack: are you suggesting that JP has produced consistently?

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: This is the correct take on Benson.

I’ll speak to his 4 goals: he is a fairly extreme case of a pass-first player. His ratio of shot assists to shots is much further apart than any of the rest of the Condors forwards who have a respectable total rate of generation. Marody is perhaps the more impressive distributer on the forehand, but Benson is basically a poor man’s Leon Draisaitl on the backhand, especially with the fondness of area passes and aerial control.

Excellent – its nice to get confirmation of the evaluation by a more refined and respected evaluator of the game and its nuances.

9. --hudson-- says:

OriginalPouzar: You know what, I never thought about that – the Vaxjo regular season ends March 14.

I’m not sure of playoff eligibility though.

Remember, the trade deadline isn’t actually a deadline for trades, its a deadline for playoff eligibility.

Teams can make trades after the deadline but the acquired players are not eligible for the playoffs on their new teams.

This wouldn’t be a trade but I would think he wouldn’t be eligible for the playoffs.

Good point on the playoff eligibility. Hadn’t thought of that one. According to this link they should be able to recall him when his season is over since he’s on loan.

The Oilers will have about a month left in the regular season when the SEL season ends so there may be a window depending on how far Vaxjo goes. The other option is the AHL if the Condors make the playoffs but the Oilers would need to put him on the clear day roster.

10. northerndancer says:

OriginalPouzar: There are ALOT of assumptions in this post on how this played out.

Not cool in my opinion.

Very unfortunate situation for Patrick Bergund or anyone else living with depression or other mental health issue. But I hope that due process will prevail. His contract was terminated. The Players Association will grieve, I presume, I hope. That will allow the due process to follow. And then all of our impressions and opinions (mine included) will fall in the shadows beneath the facts, the prevailing law and such. Lots of moving lines when it comes to discrimination, accommodation, including how accountable a disabled person is for their actions or inactions. Let’s all leave it off the table, please. Thanks.

11. northerndancer says:

And OP, agreed. Not cool.

Thanks again.

12. Woogie63 says:

Smith start for the Flames tonight

13. northerndancer says:

I

Woogie63:
    Smith start for the Flames tonight

I predict a trackmeet. With sequences of goaltendering drama at the Flames end.

14. jtblack says:

Lowetide: When playing with skill, it’s pretty close to consistent. JP is a player. I just don’t know how MUCH offense he’s going to bring.

You have mwntioned that for a while. and its a good point, Nobody knows.

JP is polarizing in that he was such a high pick, he’s likeable; he’s got the Tool Kit and his intro to the NHL has been rocky. I think all of Oilers Nation is hoping “it all clicks” @ some point soon.

Love me some JP. Will be fun to see how he evolves. And yes I hope that is in an Oilers uniform I would NOT trade JP

15. OriginalPouzar says:

ARI with a 1-0 lead on the Coyotes in the first.

16. northerndancer says:

I hope that they keep patient with JP and that he learns to handle to ups and downs in the lineup, as he grows into his body. He seems to be working hard. And it could be worse. He could be Bennet in Calgary.

17. Professor Q says:

Woodguy v2.0: Righties *never* play on their off side due to way more lefties being in pro hockey

Playing 2 righties together rarely have good outcomes

Bouchard, Persson and Bear are all RHD

Well, I mean, you’re a bit wrong there, I think. I think it was Switzerland, Denmark, and maybe Finland who at one Worlds or perhaps the past Olympics had a few pairings of RHD. I’m sure there have been examples in the NHL as well, obviously not as frequently and more situational, but perhaps not as doom and gloom as you portray it.

Bouchard plays a lot of LD, as does Boqvist even. Yet Bouchard has done this consistantly in London, not just this season (as I’ve brought up at other times), usually playing special situations and at times the entire 2nd period at LD. London does have strong RHD, however, but still, it could be an interesting thing to try in Bakersfield as well. If he is used to it, it could be a valuable tool to utilize in moderation.

18. Chief Inspector says:

jtblack: You have mwntioned that for a while.and its a good point, Nobody knows.

Love me some JP.Will be fun to see how he evolves. And yes I hope that is in an Oilers uniform I would NOT trade JP

19. hunter1909 says:

JP’s development is getting royally fucked by idiot management. But hasn’t this been said a hundred times or more already?

That Swede going home: I’ll cut him all the slack in the world. He’s spent several years in NA culture, wants to go home obviously, is 30 freaking years old which makes him a veteran player, has made his money and isn’t concerned whether or not he ends up with another 30 million to worry about in later life.

20. hunter1909 says:

ps: Hitchcock is an absolute gem for a head coach.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:
    Smith start for the Flames tonight

7.5 hours late with that info….. just kidding, kind of.

Rittich doesn’t frighten me – goals will be scored tomorrow night!

22. Wilde says:

hunter1909: How much money does anyone need? He can now go home, relax, find his old and better self, and seeing how the nordic countries are all basically paradise(Canada but with super hot babes and an ancient woodland culture so when you take the babe into the woods she doesn’t whine her silly head off like you’d probably get in a similar but entitled NA chick).

Whew, I thought at the beginning you were going to come out as a commie.

23. hunter1909 says:

Wilde: Whew, I thought at the beginning you were going to come out as a commie.

You must be joking. I was born and raised in Alberta, which in my day was the Mississippi of Canada.

Classically speaking I’m fairly liberal minded, which in the framework of 2019 NA left wing proto-fascism makes me a…fascist.

24. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar:
    ARI with a 1-0 lead on the Coyotes in the first.

That’s some feat,
    I’ve heard of beating yourself but this is next level!

25. Munny says:

Pescador: I’ve heard of beating yourself but this is next level!

I’m cheering for them!

Or is it against?

26. Pescador says:

hunter1909:

like Canada but with super hot babes and an ancient woodland culture so when you take the babe into the woods she doesn’t whine her silly head off like you’d probably get in a similar but entitled NA chick).

I imagined it to be the same regardless of what country you reside in.
    Where’s my passport?

27. Pescador says:

Munny: I’m cheering for them!

Or is it against?

As long as it doesn’t go to a shootout

28. OmJo says:

How the Senators celebrate Paajarvi scoring.

29. hunter1909 says:

Pescador: What? Co’ mon, certainly the complaint department is forced to work a double shift plus overtime whenever camping is involved.
    I imagined it to be the same regardless of what country you reside in.
    Where’s my passport?

I have encountered Scandinavian girls who were so hot you could literally dilute their hotness by a factor of ten and every single one of the ten would be 9’s, yet at the same time they were simple, unassuming, incredibly hot blondes on a level that is difficult to impart on a hockey blog. Girls you could take into the woods to make babies with, lol.

That’s just it. Scandinavia is physically identical to Canada yet possesses a culture that’s hundreds if not thousands of years old. The women there are, in my opinion, angelic.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Pens up 2-1 on the Yotes after 2.

Canucks up 2-1 on the Sabres after 1.

31. Wilde says:

Anyone watching the Condors game with the sound on (or listening to the radio) able to tell me why the D-pairings are just straight up jumbled despite all 6 players playing?

32. OriginalPouzar says:

BUF ties it up early in the 2nd.

33. Caller Zen says:

OmJo:
    How the Senators celebrate Paajarvi scoring.

Thanks for sharing! I had a bunch of LOLs from that one!

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Now the Yotes tie it up with Pit.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Check that, goal called back – Pit still up.

36. Ford Prefect says:

I did not get around to checking the post de jour until around 9pm. It was not there. Today’s post did not display until I logged into my account. A fairly consistent issue. Have you tried clearing the wordpress cache after the latest post goes up?

Hopefully you have a web nerd helping you out with your site. Maybe that person can schedule a cache clear to run automatically after a post is published or possibly every day at 8:35 to time with your standard posting schedule.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors have been all over the Heat but the game is tied at 2 nearing the end of the 2nd.

I thought that Skinner might get the start but its Starrett in net again.

Was talking earlier today about how Benson only had 4 goals despite leading the team in shots (also leads them in assists and points and is tops among AHL rookies in assists and 6th in points) – well he’s got one today – from Currie and Marody – at evens – that line stays red hot.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Damn, ARI ties it up for real with just a few minutes to go.

39. Gerta Rauss says:

Flames score 2 late to take the lead 5-4 with 3 min to go

Smith has let in 4 and he’s still on track for the win

40. Jethro Tull says:

Not cool in my opinion.

Ok, you get a “sigh”.

This is not a case of “how it played out”. You dont get to make that call.

If he was talking about a broken leg, would this wven be a conversation?

If someone has the bravery to come forward and say even half of what he did publicly, it is to be lauded, not loathed.

I don’t know if you’ve ever been depressed. But if you have, please, you must have some empathy.

Rhe benefit of the doubt must never go to the most powerful.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

In OT – Some huge saves by each of Murray and, in particular, Darcy Keumper in OT.

Panik with a PIM so PIT will have a 4 on 3 PP.

The announcers wish it went to 3 on 2.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Letang has been absolutely awful in OT – at 3 on 3 and 4 on 3.

Ooop, Kessel deflects a shot and the Yotes only get the one point.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Jethro Tull: Ok, you get a “sigh”.

This is not a case of “how it played out”. You dont get to make that call.

If he was talking about a broken leg, would this wven be a conversation?

Rhe benefit of the doubt must never go to the most powerful.

and you are doing the same thing with the assumptions, assuming the organization actually knew what the player was going through. I was responding to the attack on the Buffalo organization with zero facts about what the Buffalo organization knew and what the Buffalo organization did and what the player actually wants.

44. Jethro Tull says:

OriginalPouzar: and you are doing the same thing with the assumptions, assuming the organization actually knew whatthe player was going through. I was responding to the attack on the Buffalo organization with zero facts about what the Buffalo organization knew and what the Buffalo organization did and what the player actually wants.

It doesn’t work like that. And it should never. It doesn’t matter what the organisation knew or not. That’s not how mental health awareness should be.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Currie from Benson and Marody in the PP – yup, again.

46. oilersfan says:

I wonder what the nhl record is for most wins when losing with 5 minutes left in a game.

I think the flames have done it 10 times this season.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

And Joe G. gives the Condors the lead from Marody – another PP goal.

Keith Gretzky, MacT and a handful of scouts are in attendance and getting a show from the youngsters – Condors are unlucky to be up only by 1.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Canucks with the lead on the Sabres with about 5 to go.

49. Theil says:

Bloody Canucks won’t go away, needlessly complicating the already jam packed playoff picture. They are a garbage team but they have been pulling out wins every time you think they’re about to fall away from the pack. Really frustrating how badly that six game losing streak glued us to the fringe teams.

50. JamesL says:

Does Cooper Marody have an NHL future, or do we think his ceiling may be lower? I know it’s likely too early to tell, but wondering what the general sense is. Impressive boxcars tonight.

JamesL:

For mediocre skaters, the player has to have a coach who believes in him.

52. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hmmm…

JamesL:

I’m a fan (have him No. 6 on my list) but Hitch saw him for a few days, barely played him and then sent him out. So, that’s not fabulous. Speed might be an issue, he is quality with the puck on his stick.

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    ARI with a 1-0 lead on the Coyotes in the first.

Odd time of year for an intrasquad game. 😉

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Quite the solo effort by Marody to win the game in OT – Marody is hot as hell with 10P in 5G:

56. OriginalPouzar says:

JamesL:

His slow boots were apparent during his lat stint here but that isn’t something that can’t potentially be overcome. It might inhibit him from playing center in the NHL but he’s got a high hockey IQ and a good skill level. He’s only 21 and a rookie pro so lots of time to grow. He’s no guarantee to become more than a tweener but he does have a shot at carving out an every day NHL career.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

A tough test for the boys tonight as, unfortunately, the flames are a top team in the league this year.

Flames started their backup last night and outscored his leakiness. Rittich in net tonight and, while he has had a great performance against the Oil this year, he doesn’t scare me and I’m confident the Oilers will be able to put some pucks past him.

Sounds like the defence will be the same as last game – coach gave kudos to the Manning/Benning combo and Benning’s plus play will keep Petrovic on the sidelines.

Noone seems to understand Manning over Gravel but the coach likes Manning’s play.

I assume Koskinen starts tonight.

Go Oilers!

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Lots of important games tonight and they are all no-brainers with who to cheer for:

ANA/NJD – Lets go Devils

LAK/COL – Can LA do us another favor?

OTT/STL – OTT is giving COL Jack Hughes so they might as well help us out today

WIN/DAL – Hopefully not let down for WIN after a big win over NSH the other night

SJS/TBL – Time for TBL to get back in the win column after a rare loss

CBJ/MIN – Lets keep MIN free falling

Its going to be a great day keeping track of the scoreboard and doing some game surfing – background hockey games while plugging away at the office.

59. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar: His slow boots were apparent during his lat stint here but that isn’t something that can’t potentially be overcome.It might inhibit him from playing center in the NHL but he’s got a high hockey IQ and a good skill level.He’s only 21 and a rookie pro so lots of time to grow. He’s no guarantee to become more than a tweener but he does have a shot at carving out an every day NHL career.

His production as a rookie pro is very impressive. I think a guy like him needs to be put in a position to succeed though. I don’t see him creating as many zone entries in the NHL and probably needs to ride shotgun with one of the three skilled centres. Chiasson isn’t a burner either and doesn’t have nearly the talent he has with the puck, yet Chiasson produced early in his tenure as McDavids winger so has gotten the opportunity to stay glued to him.

I think a guy like Marody will struggle to find traction with old school coaches like McLellan and Hitchcock. Once again the Oilers have a square peg round hole coach, and I’m not sure that’s proven to be the best method to win, especially in today’s NHL.

60. Glovjuice says:

godot10: For mediocre skaters, the player has to have a coach who believes in him.

Very true, if he was a little above average skater he would be a REALLY good prospect. Same as Lander.

For The Athletic:Jay Woodcroft’s usage of Tyler Benson and other young forwards in Bakersfield is both welcome and encouraging for Edmonton Oilers fans

« Older Comments