WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE THE HORSES

I’m asked from time to time how much of this blog’s tone and views are mine and how much is framing the issue to fit the daily mood. I can’t really answer that question, beyond stating the goal is taking all of the emotion out of the conversation and trying to find what is true. I’m as prone as anyone to all of the emotions one feels when discussing something (or someone) you care about personally, but that’s the goal.

Since we’ve got some time today, it might be a fine idea for me to let you know my thoughts on the way forward. Below are my thoughts on personnel and what the team might do between now and October. I hope you enjoy it.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton is going to bring it all season long. Proud to be part of a lineup that is ready to cover the coming year. Outstanding coverage from a large group, including Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis, Lowetide, Minnia Feng and Pat McLean. If you haven’t subscribed yet, now’s your chance. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: If the Oilers are sellers at the deadline, expect a Condo of Condors heading north.
  • Lowetide: Jay Woodcroft’s usage of Tyler Benson and other young forwards in Bakersfield is both welcome and encouraging for Edmonton Oilers fans.
  • Tyler Dellow: After 47 games, the Oilers’ 5-on-5 scoring woes stand out.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers’ way forward and the smartest route to finding an impact winger this summer.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
  • Jonathan Willis: Why the Oilers should make a decision on Peter Chiarelli this week.
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

MY MIND TO YOUR MIND

• If you missed the 1980’s, Connor McDavid is the best hockey player you’ll ever see playing for the Oilers, and I’m not sure he won’t end up being the best full stop. Now that’s a big wallop and I’d never put that kind of pressure on anyone age 22, but this man is so special, so unbelievable, I don’t think we can yet put limits on him. He shines like the world’s most valuable diamond, and in a way he’s exactly that, plus a little more. A giant walks among us.
  • Leon Draisaitl. I’m a big fan and hope to see all of his NHL games (he’s going to play until 2040 or so). I know many are disappointed in parts of his game, but I can’t see past the 75+ points and those cherry backhands. He’s a stunning player.
  • Oscar Klefbom. I think his injuries along the way have obscured just how much he can help a team. Ironically, his injury this winter is a tell about his value.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a tremendous player, cerebral and efficient. I think this season has been good for him, someone (Hitchcock?) has him shooting more and being selfish with the puck.
  • Adam Larsson is a fine shutdown defenseman. I know he’s struggled recently (his interview last night is piercing), I know the price paid, but that doesn’t have one damn thing to do with what he brings consistently. Some are calling for him to be traded, I’m going opposite and am prepared to double down.
  • Darnell Nurse, Jesse Puljujarvi, Jujhar Khaira and Evan Bouchard are building toward something and in my opinion the organization should see how things play out before making any kind of move.
  • I secretly believe Zack Kassian has a 100 goals in him after he turns 30. He’s exactly the kind of player who finds his way to Boston in his late 20’s. Then he proceeds to play the heart of his career with the Bruins as a rugged winger with speed, skill and enough experience to go where the goals are.

That’s what, nine players? Edmonton needs to add to that group, grab a goalie, a puck mover, some scoring on the wings. I believe a team needs seven great forwards (two lines and a 3C), four great defensemen and a fabulous goaltender. That’s 12. Edmonton has three forwards, two defensemen and we’ll see about the rest. Let’s call it halfway home. That’s my opinion.

OILERS AFTER 49

• Oilers in 2015: 19-25-5, 43 points; goal differential -24
  • Oilers in 2016: 26-15-8, 60 points; goal differential +10
  • Oilers in 2017: 22-24-3, 47 points; goal differential -29
  • Oilers in 2018: 23-23-3, 49 points; goal differential -13

OILERS IN JANUARY

• Oilers in January 2016: 4-4-2, 10 points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in January 2017: 6-3-1, 13 points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in January 2018: 5-5-0, 10 points; goal differential -13
  • Oilers in January 2019: 5-5-0, 10 points; goal differential -6

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• On the road to: Arizona, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 2-2-0) (Actual 2-2-0)
  • At home to: Florida, Arizona, Buffalo (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Calgary, Carolina, Detroit (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-5-2, 10 points in 11 games
  • Current results: 5-5-0, 10 points in 10 games

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• It was a mixed bag last night, so it’s impossible to identify who was skating against whom. Here are the pairing numbers.
  • Manning-Benning were 4-5 in 7:09, no goals and 2-1 shot; Jones-Benning were 7-6 in 6:04, 2-4 shots, 1-0 goals.
  • Manning-Larsson were 9-4 in 6:45, 2-3 shots, 1-1 goals. Jones-Larsson were 3-6 in 4:07, 2-5 shots, 0-1 goals. Nurse-Larsson were 2-10 in 2:51, 2-8 shots and 0-2 goals.
  • Nurse-Russell were 5-13 in 14:27, 1-8 shots and 0-1 goals. Nurse-Benning were 3-3 in 2:31, 2-1 shots and 1-0 goals.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 12 of 15, .800. Mikko Koskinen stopped 15 of 18, .833. It was a bad weekend for the goalies.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian went 8-7 in 7:16, 3-3 shots, no goals and 1-0 HDSC. It’s too expensive for a fourth line but has been on a nice little run of late.
  • Lucic-Cave-Yamamoto went 5-1 in 7:00 (Lucic), 3-0 in 5:55 (Puljujarvi) and 3-6 in 4:03 (Yamamoto). I like Cave’s game, suspect he might stick around awhile. Yamamoto needs to have more touches to be effective.
  • Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi went 10-21 in 12:28 and 1-3 goals (Nuge), 5-9 in 4:57 and 1-2 goals (Puljujarvi) and 4-8 in 6:07 (Yamamoto). McDavid was 5-12 in 8:46 against Brett Pesce and 3-11 in 6:24 against Justin Faulk.
  • Khaira-Draisaitl-Chiasson were 7-10 in 11:10 and 2-0 goals (Khaira, who has chem with some interesting players), 4-13 in 9:06 (Chiasson) and 4-1 in 4:37 (Kassian).

MY THOUGHTS TO YOUR THOUGHTS

Adam Larsson is beating himself up about recent performances but the truth of the matter is he doesn’t have the horses. I mentioned this in the Todd McLellan days, and mention it now. You can bring in Scotty Bowman himself and this roster is going to end up inspiring sad country songs.

They. Don’t. Have. The. Horses. Adam Larsson with Oscar Klefbom is 52.75 Corsi 5-on-5 in 510 minutes. Adam Larsson with Caleb Jones is 43.39 in 133 minutes. What does that tell you?

I’m not blaming Caleb Jones, he’s a real find and I suspect the Oilers will plan the future with him inside the top 6D as soon as this fall.

I’m a Larsson fan. He’s an excellent shutdown defenseman and that has real value. If he’s going to play the best opponent, he requires an excellent puck mover like Klefbom. It isn’t a one-way street, either. Larsson is quality in the scoring zone and that (historically) has been an area of weakness for Oscar.

If you plan to spend today ripping Adam Larsson, you’re going to get some pushback from me. His season reminds me of the Shawn Horcoff years after the Stanley run, where he spent his nights pushing a giant boulder straight up a steep hill. Step off on Larsson.

THE NEXT STEP

I would approach this deadline as a seller. The past is past, the picks traded in 2015 cannot be retrieved, there is only the future. Alex Chiasson should have some trade value, some of those defensemen (I would not trade Matt Benning) should, too.

I’m coming around on trading the first-round draft pick, but only in summer and only if a true offensive option (Nikolaj Ehlers, Tyler Johnson) can be procured.

I would bring back Ken Hitchcock. I’d add speed. I would begin the summer with this template:

• ??—McDavid—Draisaitl
  • Khaira—Nuge—Puljujarvi
  • ??—??—??
  • ??—Brodziak—Kassian
  • Klefbom—Larsson
  • Nurse—Benning
  • Jones—??
  • (??) Koskinen (??)

The keys to summer would be scoring LW (Ehlers, might cost you Nurse), a No. 3 center who can impact the checking game, a second pairing defenseman (Jones might end up being the second pair) and a co-starter in net. You can buyout Spooner and trade Russell, suspect Sekera is heading to LTIR.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, lots to discuss and some open line time if you’re interested. TSN1260, beginning at 10, scheduled to appear:

• Michael Hurley, CBS Boston. NFL weekend was amazing and the Patriots have another chance to win the Super Bowl.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. We know about games that are coach killers, did we see two ‘GM killer’ games on the weekend?
  • Connor James, FC Edmonton goalkeeper. We’re not far from the CPL season (well, we’re closer) and the Eddies continue to sign quality talent. We’ll chat with the latest addition.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

505 Responses to "WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE THE HORSES"

« Older Comments
  1. smellyglove says:

Eberle for Strome and cap space that was utilized for Spooner and cap space that was wasted.

Since Ebs joined the Islanders he is 207 GP – 56 G – 77 A – 133 PTS

Good enough for #19 RW (#26 in points/game) in the NHL, and despite an off year, Eberle has 2G and 1A in the last five games.

Eberle is ahead in PPG of Nyquist, Wayne Simmonds, Mantha, Niederreiter, etc.

2. texmex says:

smellyglove,

207 games in 1.5 seasons?

3. Dustylegnd says:

Lowetide: Rittich is an RFA, Edmonton was buying UFA seasons. Prepare to be pissed!

Treliving’s achilles is his free agent signings, he is terrible, just bought out Brouwer and now he is in free agent hell with Neal ……the Lucic of the South

Treliving will get Rittich locked up at great value…..the true litmus test for Treliving is going to be what he does or doesn’t pay Tkachuk…if he can keep him to the 7 mill range he has another bargain on his hands…..if he has to pay him 9….it gets real interesting, but I tell you what, he has a great “problem” on his hands…..too many players that can score

4. Halfwise says:

If we go back to when Chia was hired, I was part of the group that saw him as an upgrade over the OBC.

There were critics who said his history should make us wary.

They were right.

I wouldn’t mind if everyone below Katz fired himself. Keep Hitch around in some capacity.

Being an Oiler fan has very little satisfaction these days. The organization is like an abusive partner to its fans. I’m glad that I don’t give them a penny any more.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors take the lead – Gust with a centering pass to Keegan Lowe and it goes off either the d-man or the goalie and in – tough to tell.

Evan Polei with the assist.

Solid start for the Condors who are rolling right now.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

What a goal by the Condors.

Benson with a great own zone block and a SH chance by the Baracudas – they turn the puck up the ice and Marody with a great assist to send Currie in alone for yet another goal – his 17th.

Currie from Marody and Benson on the PP – those three are ON FIRE!

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Oooop, Condors give that one right back on the next shift.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Vesel regains the two goal lead off the Polei rebound.

Strong drive in front by Polei.

9. leadfarmer says:

jtblack:
    Since the 2007 Draft, the Oilers have drafted 74 players outside of the 1st round.

Their current roster boasts 2 players from those 74.

JJ Khaira – 3 GOALS
    Tobias Reider –0 GOALS

You can’t make this stuff up.

Eric Gustafson is on pace for a 50 point season. That will make us feel better

10. OriginalPouzar says:

What a great first period by the Condors against a top and hot team. Bibeau hadn’t given up more than a goal in 3 starts and the Condors put three by him. 1 for 1 on the PP and 2 for 2 on the PK.

Skinner solid.

Benson/Marody/Currie stay on fire.

Couple assists for Polei.

11. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Oooop, Condors give that one right back on the next shift.

Sounds like another team we follow. Hope they are not learning that down there

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Rishaug expressly tweeting out that Koskinen does not appear to have a NMC – the fact that that is something that really had to be run down and investigated is somewhat telling in itself, isn’t it?

13. Glovjuice says:

Just got to the Koskinen signing post. Is this even real what is going on here ? I’m actually a bit nauseous. I’m stunned and don’t know what to say. Is this even real what is going on here ? Third line C for a waiver throwaway and this on the same day. I can’t take it anymore – it hurts.

14. Ryan says:

Halfwise:

There were critics who said his history should make us wary.

They were right.

I wouldn’t mind if everyone below Katz fired himself.Keep Hitch around in some capacity.

At the time, I was partially thrilled that the Oilers had hired someone with an actual track record of being an NHL GM from outside of the org, but also concerned that they didn’t use a thorough hiring process nor remove the deadwood from the organization.

Chiarelli came to us with a history of poor cap management and rewarding vets like Chris Kelly with retirement contracts along with some questionable trades.

He was full value for poor cap management, overpaying vets, and questionable trades (for the Oilers).

I do question the autonomy of Chiarelli in his role. Until I die, I will go to my grave believing that the Reinhart trade was forced on him—until I hear otherwise. His face announcing the trade on the draft floor spoke volumes.

My biggest source of consternation at the moment is that Chiarelli is already essentially a figurehead whose power has already been usurped. Someone else is already pulling the strings and lordy are they ever doing a terrible job. Spooner. Manning. Petrovic. Koskinen contract.

15. geowal says:

I assume Justin faulk on waivers has been covered in the pages above. I thought we were making a big package for him, haha.

16. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hahahaa. Good point. Never know with PC.

17. Ryan says:

geowal:

Ha.

Wrong player.

Justin Falk is not Justin Faulk.

18. jtblack says:

geowal,

????

19. geowal says:

Ryan: Ha.

Wrong player.

Justin Falk is not Justin Faulk.

Bah. I’m really struggling with this sort of thing lately. Yesterday was another one. It’s cause I never watch the east (maybe).
    Edit: I could also have noticed it was the Sens putting him on waivers instead of subconsciously assuming the ticker spelled the name wrong…

20. OriginalPouzar says:

SJ with an early goal and then Lowe with a delay of game PIM and the Baracuda’s score again – all tied up at 3.

Much different start to the 2nd than the first period.

21. Rebillled says:

Well, this a bizarro day but normal because Oilers.

Remember that day when we got Peca and that big robot? They kinda had a parade that day. Now it just rains everygoddamnday.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Eric Gustafson

So this player established himself in the NHL during his 26/27 year old season.

Does that mean the book isn’t closed on Jesse Puljujarvi, despite draft pedigree?

23. Dicky94 says:

hunter1909,

Without the warm temps.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Bibeau with plus stops on consecutive shifts: first on Marody and then on Russell – Condors getting their chances – game still tied at 3.

25. Ben says:

I say this with full awareness of the damage already done: the Koskinen deal has great potential to be the most harmful move Chiarelli has yet made.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

The Benson/Marody/Currie line is creating a scoring chance on every shift it seems.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Beauty goal by Russell off the rush – beat the d-man wide, cut in on net and buried it.

Nice pas by Malone to hit him on the fly with full speed.

Bear with the 2nd assist.

Condors have had a TON of chances in the 2nd period and are now up 4-3 with under 5 to go in the third.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Now Ethan Bear with his first of the year to put the Condors up 5-3. His 8th point in his last 9 games.

Currie causes a turnover behind the Baracuda net and Marody sets up Bear in the slot who put one under the bar.

Bear from Marody and Currie.

29. Ryan says:

Glovjuice:

Is there any chance that the league intervenes at this point?

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben:

How so?

When it expires, Lucic still has a year left on his contract…….

31. Drew says:

OriginalPouzar: How so?

When it expires, Lucic still has a year left on his contract…….

well done sir you win the thread! let that sink in

32. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: So this player established himself in the NHL during his 26/27 year old season.

One day, I’ll take the time to write about this dichotomy in development opportunities based on draft pedigree.

The first item of interest is the pending lack of waiver exemption for a #4 or pick vs a fourth round pick.

Credit to the Blackhawks who developed Gustafsson.

Great that they were able to play him in the AHL during his draft plus five and six seasons—both a luxury not available to JP.

33. Ben says:

OriginalPouzar: How so?

When it expires, Lucic still has a year left on his contract…….

Hockey = “mostly goalie”.

Lucic’s ability to influence the outcome of any given game is marginal compared to the starting goalie’s.

If Koskinen’s “normal” is sub-900, that’s directly moving several games form the W to L columns.

34. JimmyV1965 says:

texmex:
    Question: what UFA goalie Would you sign, and would he sign in Edmonton?

Bobrovsky – no chance
    Varlamov
    Smith
    Howard
    Talbot
    Ward
    Elliotte
    Neuvirth
    Nilisson
    Miller
    Johnson
    Lehner

I don’t like the $, but think Koskinen may be the best bet.

Not to mention, even Vasilevskiy would have terrible numbers playing behind the D Edmonton refuses to fix.

If the list of free agent goalies is weak, come up with a reasonable trade or sign some other Euro free agent. It doesn’t justify a massive overpay for someone with essentially no experience. The lack of creativity in this mngt crew is mind boggling.

I was on board with Koskinnen signing because it was for ONE YEAR!! I have no words to describe my profound sense of dread for the next three years. I don’t understand why I love this team so much and invest so much time following everything Oil. It’s heart breaking.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Except for the fact that they aren’t going to just give him the net night after night for 3 years is he’s providing that type of tending.

36. Glovjuice says:

Glovjuice: Can I finally use the word incompetence in reference to Chia? Is that ok now?

This is an utterly comical post now that Koskinen signing has come to light. This shit couldn’t be happening anywhere else even if there were an infinite number of universes.

37. Munny says:

LT,

Why couldn’t it be a slow news day when it’s Central Scouting’s midterm release?

38. Ben says:

OriginalPouzar:

Dude. Have you literally not been watching this team since Curtis Joseph left?

39. oilersfan says:

Would anyone here support the idea of trading Spooner for Sam Gagner?

I suspect Sam could play well on Connors right wing.

Same cap hit

#7
    #3
    #1
    #4
    #22
    #10

And yet here were are.Kind of hard to take an Honest look and believe it is possible to have screwed this thing up so bad ………

It’s fucked beyond belief.

41. Munny says:

oilersfan: Same cap hit

Same boat anchor.

42. oilersfan says:

Munny,

More consistent track record

Shoots right

Can take face offs (although not good at it)

THinks the game well offensively

43. Glovjuice says:

jtblack:

Their current roster boasts 2 players from those 74.

JJ Khaira – 3 GOALS
    Tobias Reider –0 GOALS

You can’t make this stuff up.

And we take risks still in Benson, Yamo, and Bouchard. All riskier than needed.

44. jtblack says:

Glovjuice: And we take risks still in Benson, Yamo, and Bouchard. All riskier than needed.

I think Benson and Yammy clearly had risks what was Bouchards? I thought that was a good pick @ #10.

Ben:

Koskinen will be paid in the lower half of starting goaltenders. The Oilers will be paid their goaltenders probably less than $6 million AAV next year.

Any UFA goaltender is going to cost $5 million unless you wait for the guy who doesn’t land a spot. Do you want that guy?

The defense is the problem more than the goaltending.

46. JimmyV1965 says:

Dustylegnd: Treliving has not been perfect but he has done a masterful job of negotiating value contracts…..he has Giordano locked up for 3 more at 6.75, he has Johnny Hockey ™ locked up for 3 more at 6.75 and he has Monahan locked up for 4 at 6.75

If Tkachuk signs for $7 mill he is doing himself a great disservice.

oilersfan:
    Would anyone here support the idea of trading Spooner for Sam Gagner?

I suspect Sam could play well on Connors right wing.

Same cap hit

I’d do it to get the right shot. And it gives one a right shot for the point on the power play.

48. Munny says:

oilersfan:
    Munny,

More consistent track record

Shoots right

Can take face offs (although not good at it)

THinks the game well offensively

Spooner had a pretty consistent track record coming into this year.

Gagner is slow.

He’s 2.5 years older.

He thinks the game defensively as poorly as anyone…

They(Hitch & the team) are trying to reduce goals against, first and foremost.

49. LookingforKovi says:

OriginalPouzar:

I have so little faith in Chiarelli, whenever I hear bad news, my first response is – wait 5 minutes, it’ll probably get worse.

50. Glovjuice says:

Ryan: Is there any chance that the league intervenes at this point?

It’s mind bending.

51. oilersfan says:

JimmyV1965,

Marner wants 10+. I suspect Tkachuk will ask for the same

52. drglen says:

I”m becoming scared to check in with the blog.. to hear the latest news.

53. Glovjuice says:

Ryan: Is there any chance that the league intervenes at this point?

The absurdity is tantamount to the absurdity of the Big Bang or the Creation theories. All equally fucked when you really think about it.

54. Scungilli Slushy says:

oilersfan:
    Would anyone here support the idea of trading Spooner for Sam Gagner?

I suspect Sam could play well on Connors right wing.

Same cap hit

55. drglen says:

godot10: Koskinen will be paid in the lower half of starting goaltenders.The Oilers will be paid their goaltenders probably less than $6 million AAV next year.

Any UFA goaltender is going to cost $5 million unless you wait for the guy who doesn’t land a spot.Do you want that guy?

The defense is the problem more than the goaltending.

good point, but you don’t overpay and you develop your prospects. It’s a little high for Koskinen, based on recent work… similar to the Kris Russel signing imho… not a bad deal, not a bad player, a good player, but too high. it seems we always have to pay extra.

It’s 1 to 1.5 mill to high. If that enough to make a difference? .. maybe not.. that buys you a Zak Kassian. ( .. who I like)

56. Ben says:

The defense is the problem more than the goaltending.

Get your point, but have to disagree. Over the past ten years the team save percentage has been (barely) over league average just twice. Tough to instill good habits when routine saves aren’t made.

No position more dramatically affects the destiny of your team. I don’t think it’s necessarily worth paying $10M for slightly above average–but you better be damn sure you’re average.

Totally pulling for Koskinen, really like his disposition and aspects of his game. But if he’s a sub-900 goalie this is a disaster.

57. drglen says:

Scungilli Slushy: He’s not even 1 PPG (the sign of an NHL potential top 6 for a prospect) on the Marlies. He should be crushing the AHL given he’s an offense only player.

I would not.

58. drglen says:

OriginalPouzar:

Yes…. shall we bring them up? 1 more loss and I say yes.

59. Glovjuice says:

jtblack: I think Benson and Yammy clearly had risks what was Bouchards?I thought that was a good pick @ #10.

60. jtblack says:

Glovjuice: I guess including him here is a bit overzealous on my part. I just think his intensity and skating are an issue.

I think Bouch will be in NHL next yr. His passing is NEEDED. we just need to shelter on 3rd pair. 1st or 2nd PP. slow play the kid; which is not the OILERS way

61. trader says:

oilersfan:
    Would anyone here support the idea of trading Spooner for Sam Gagner?

I suspect Sam could play well on Connors right wing.

Same cap hit

Maybe Kassian can pick him up at the airport

62. hunter1909 says:

I seriously thought my Katz’s son taking over the Oilers is a good idea.

Beam me up Scottie.

63. hunter1909 says:

trader: Maybe Kassian can pick him up at the airport

Or McDavid and Manning can also show and make it a matched set.

64. hunter1909 says:

drglen:
    I”m becoming scared to check in with the blog.. to hear the latest news.

Think of it: You stand a good chance of being correct.

65. rope-a-dope says:

All you can do is laugh at these guys. They hold a sort conciliatory media avail this morning to try and show everyone that they’re really serious despite the results. Meanwhile this prompts a guy like Ryan Rishaug to pen a rather scathing article on the entire org. This article has been sitting at the top on TSN the whole freaking day like 8 hours now:

66. v4ance says:

Eberle’s stats are actually 82 points over 125 games with the Isles. Translates to 0.656 pts/game or about 54 pts/82 games.

He’d be the 4th best scorer if he was still on the Oilers…. and his trade return is a waiver wire player.

Meanwhile, some posters still try to minimize Chiarelli’s incompetence…. I said in October that Chiarelli was the anti “paperclip to house guy”. I didn’t need him to prove my point so drastically.

67. Buddy says:

Other than signing Koskinen last summer to what looked at the time to too much money, can anyone think of one of Chiarelli’s moves that looked bad at the moment actually turning out well?

68. Jethro Tull says:

The defense is the problem more than the goaltending.

Actually, Koski will be the 19th best paid goalie according to cap hit.

And yes, I’d pay $5M+ if they can pitch just over league SV% and GAA average.

Name a good team without a good goaltender.

69. Jethro Tull says:

Buddy:

His immediate resignation?

70. Biggus Dickus says:

What about Goldobin? Demoted to the 4line, but can hockey a little bit. I’d be OK with him slotting at 3L.This is his first year under 14% shooting, and he could slot in as a good shooter for one of the 3 1st line centers. Sheltered ZS, and 49 corsi, but that looks pretty good on this shit pile. We also have a coach now who has actually developed some defensive players. Of course we aren’t the Patriots, so we would probably eff it up. Not sure what VAN would want.

71. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack: I think Bouch will be in NHL next yr. His passing is NEEDED. we just need to shelter on 3rd pair. 1st or 2nd PP. slowplay the kid; which is not the OILERS way

Bouchard is a great pick. He is not an elite prospect, like you get in the first three or four picks. On any other team but the Oilers, he would spend at least 40 games in the minors.

72. oilersfan says:

Remember the idea of trading Spooner for Gagner isn’t trading something of value like a second or even third round pick.

It’s trading something of negative value for something else of negative value, that may fit our needs more. Gagner was + 10 his year in Columbus and he always seems to play a better all around game when he is in a contract year.

I would be thrilled with that trade and would love to see more discussion on the pros and cons of it.

A point per game in the ahl likely translates into half a ppg here , especially if he plays with Nuge or Connor.

I bet he would be the fourth highest scorer on the team for the remainder of the season and all of next, and be team average for plus minus .

His corsi rel has been decent his entire career and if not playing center I recall him being good enough in his own zone

73. Munny says:

rope-a-dope,

Koski’s signing was announced by press release. Hmm. And the media avail was missing the elephant in the room.

So I think it is fair to say the question isn’t whether Chia is gone but on what day. The MSM has turned on him now and there’s no surviving that for long. Not in Edmonton.

But getting a replacement won’t be easy… not with the inherited mess.

I mean even if you’re Keith or Wayne… would you really want that job?

74. Biggus Dickus says:

Buddy:

Well we liked the Maroon bet. I think we liked Letestu as well but I’m a little foggy on that. I think Kris Russel kind of counts, since we were pissy about not getting a D, then he got one out of nowhere on a PTO. Subsequent contract notwithstanding. The Jagr non-signing was probably the right move. That’s it.

75. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan,

I’d do Spooner for Gagner if only for the right shot on the PP

76. smellyglove says:

If you need to decompress after today, check out this post: https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-bet-big-on-mikko-koskinen-the-three-metre-man/amp

Something’s been bugging me about the Koskinen deal. The 3-year term for an unproven starter? The $4.5-million dollar salary for a widely inconsistent tender?

The timing actually. There is no reason to sign Koskinen right now. With several dozen games left in the season, wouldn’t you want to see more of a track record from the Finnish netminder?

What about Talbot? With the early signing you’re actually signalling to the entire league that Talbot’s going to the scrap heap. If both your tenders are unsigned heading into the trade deadline, at least the illusion that Talbot could be re-signed might snag a desperate GM. Goalies go down may be that Talbot fetches a 6th from a playoff bound club looking for insurance or replacement netminder.

77. RonnieB says:

JimmyV1965: Isn’t this standard operating procedure for the Oilers though? Identify a hole in the roster, panic and then find a sub-optimal solution that causes infinitely more problems than it solves.

I was on board with Koskinnen signing because it was for ONE YEAR!!I have no words to describe my profound sense of dread for the next three years. I don’t understand why I love this team so much and invest so much time following everything Oil. It’s heart breaking.

Howard is making $4.25 this year and turns 35 in March. Maybe he could be the Oilers version of Ryan Miller at the same age. Playing with a poor Detroit squad he has performed fairly well in the past 2 years…
    2017/18, 60 games, 2.85 GAA, .910 save %
    2018/19, 31 games, 2.78 GAA, .915 save %

78. OriginalPouzar says:

2am comes quick so i didn’t watch the third but the Condors gave up a couple in the 3rd and it looks like Baracuda played like the top team they are as they outshot the Condors 19-3 in the 3rd.

It set up Joe G. as the OT hero from Logan Day and Tyler Benson.

Looking at the highlight, a strong play from Joe G. who takes the puck off the sideboard directly to the net and stuffs it home.

Saved a somewhat tough game for Joe who was -4 before playing hero.

Skinner gave up 5 but made 33 saves on 38 shots – a couple real nice saves in there.

79. Bos8 says:

OriginalPouzar:

It set up Joe G. as the OT hero from Logan Day and Tyler Benson.

The Condors went into a prevent D and it worked for 14 minutes until another D man scored through two players. Then the pressure began.

Of note the Condors streak is beating the top three of four teams in the division, Colorado once at home, Stockton twice, San Diego and San Jose. They play Tucson twice on the weekend.

Unfortunately no help for the parent club. We’ve seen Marody, Benson is more of the same and Bear is coming on, finally. Marody is over a point a game but he’s the only center of note.

I still like Lagesson but the Oilers didn’t give him a whiff. The good +/- of Jones and Bear are Lagesson’s work.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben: Dude. Have you literally not been watching this team since Curtis Joseph left?

Essentially every single game unless I’m out of the hemisphere and, even then, I often find a way.

I would posit that I”ve probably seen more Oiler games during that period than anyone else in this community, including our host (but he may be the one).

81. Zelepukin says:

smellyglove:

Ya, see it’s best not to try and understand the logic in Chia’s moves, because there is none that resemble a sound strategy or decisions from someone experienced as a great GM in negotiations.

NHL agents must love Edmonton as a destination, with the only challenge being convincing their clients to move here (with or without their families).

1. The Edmonton tax (or what is now known as the Chia Surplus Package). Chia will overpay market rates by 20-30%. There isn’t even a hometown discount because the OBC believes the local boy will someone play better because he is from the area, so lets pay him more.

2. The Chia Double or Nothing (Hockey is a game of roulette where the house loses) contract. This where Chia believes that because he just bet everything on Black, surely the next spin will be black again. Maths. Basically Chia will hand out deals, like Koski based off the smallest sample size. So as an agent, you just need your guy to put up a string of good numbers, even if its one playoff series and it’s payday baby.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson was a second round pick and Yamamoto 22nd overall – there are no sure things at either spot and any player drafted in those spots have risk. The top 8 selections of the second round have played a total of 15 games and those are credited to one player. You then have the DeBrincat outlier and take him out of the picture and the top 15 have played like a handful of games. Sure, they could have drafted DeBrincat and it would have been just as “risky” as taking Benson.

Bouchard is no more or less risky than the other viable options that were available – Dobson, Whalstrom and he plays the position and has the skillset that the organization has been looking for for a very long time. It was almost a no-brainer as much as I liked a guy like Whalstom.

I”m just happy that a few teams went off the board and the org realized he may drop – I think they may have been looking to trade up to grab him.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

LookingforKovi: Not really. Until someone like Rishaug or Friedman specifically said that there wasn’t a nmc, I just assumed that Pete gave him one just because.

That was my point.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

drglen: good point, but you don’t overpay and you develop your prospects.It’s a little high for Koskinen, based on recent work… similar to the Kris Russel signing imho… not a bad deal, not a bad player, a good player, but too high. it seems we always have to pay extra.

It’s 1 to 1.5 mill to high.If that enough to make a difference? .. maybe not.. that buys you a Zak Kassian. ( .. who I like)

Yup, its about $1.5M too high and a fairly massive overpay and, given the cap crunch, yup its definitely enough to make a difference.

85. Ryan says:

Might be one of Allans’ best articles… certainly some brilliant quotables that will endure for years.

“The Oilers treat cap room like an uncomfortable nuisance, something to be spent quickly, so as to allow management to move on to more important things. ”

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Last game before the 10 day break and does the team, and the fanbase, ever need it.

The crazy thing is, with a win tonight, subject to the out of town scoreboard, the Oilers can pull within 1 point of a wild card berth – they are only 3 points behind both the 1st and 2nd wild card spots – even games. Of course, there are a few teams in between but man there are quite a few teams in the same tier of suck as the Oilers.

I think some/many are very indifferent right now or even cheering for a loss tonight for one (or both) of two reasons (a) for a Chiarelli firing and/or (b) to fall out of the race so that a panic trade of future for immediate help is not made.

I totally get that thought pattern and there is definitely some logic to it but I simply am not on board and will be looking forward to a solid game and hopefully two points tonight. My fear is the trade for immediate help that further propagates that cap hell that Chiarelli seems to make worse every few weeks. Even when the team was in a better spot for the playoffs a bit ago, I didn’t want that type of trade and I certainly don’t want it now. Here is hoping that current management understands the situation and doesn’t do something stupid notwithstanding (a) Chiarelli’s job on the line and (b) Katz’s meddling.

24 hours ago, I was of the opinion that the Chiarelli firing was imminent but then Koskinen was re-signed and I don’t think an in-season firing will be made. It can’t be that imminent if he’s signing players to material contracts, can it? There is some verbal that Keith Gretzky did the work on this contract but, if Chiarelli essentially has no power left, why would they wait to make it official?

Anyways, I don’t think there are any extra forwards with Spooner and Rattie on waivers (although they could clear and still stay in the NHL) so I think the lineup will look similar to last game – who the hell knows who will play with who though – Hitchock is the biggest line blender coach this team has had.

I assume Petrovic will be back in the lineup but, with Jones in the AHL, who steps up to play with Larsson? Gravel? Manning? Yikes.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Bos8: The Condors went into a prevent D and it worked for 14 minutes until another D man scored through two players.Then the pressure began.

Unfortunately no help for the parent club.We’ve seen Marody, Benson is more of the same and Bear is coming on, finally.Marody is over a point a game but he’s the only center of note.

I still like Lagesson but the Oilers didn’t give him a whiff.The good +/- of Jones and Bear are Lagesson’s work.

I don’t have any problem with not bringing any of these guys up.

The Oilers have a long and recent history of seeing guys have a bit of success in the AHL and then bringing them up early to the NHL. I would like to see them allow for continued success in the AHL.

Lagesson is having a great first season of pro in North America – he’s a developing d-man and they take time – lets give him the entire season.

Similar for Benson – he’s a rookie pro. He’s a second round pick that missed substantial time in junior with injuries. Lets give him the season.

88. ArmchairGM says:

Biggus Dickus:

Puljujarvi and a pick.

89. GMB3 says:

ArmchairGM: Puljujarvi and s pick.

For Goldobin? Lol

90. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Western Conference Playoff Standings using Points Percentage shown as points over/under fake Bettman .500

Pacific

CHI -7

Relevant games:

SJS at WSH (WSH -140)
    ARI at OTT (OTT -110)
    CAR at CGY (CGY -185)
    DET at EDM (EDM -150)

If EDM loses and ARI wins, there will be 4 teams between EDM and the last wildcard spot.

Surely Pete can’t survive that, can he?

Rishaug said that everyone outside the org is wondering what they are waiting for (in regards to firing Pete)

Terry Jones said he can’t be defended anymore.

Gotta happen soon.

Also,

Posting in this thread because I’m traveling today and probably won’t be able to later.

91. Glovjuice says:

Shelter with who? A 6-7-Russel? Not gonna help.

92. Derek says:

Wilde what happened to your post about Benson?

That’s the only positive Oiler news available at the moment.

93. Wilde says:

Derek,

was a bad idea to share it too early before the project is finished

94. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

The funny part about the fan malaise right now is likely how divorced it is from the actual team.

3 Points back of a wild card, heading into the break with the league’s easiest schedule (based on Yost’s work a week ago) come March, with the imminent return of the team’s best defenseman and the return of Sekera. All of which will push lesser defensemen down the depth chart and might have the Oilers playing a full NHL caliber defense for the first time in two years.

Upfront there is a pulse across a group who desperately need to show signs of life with all of Lucic, Kassian and JP putting up points since the calendar flipped.

At the high end all of Connor, Leon, Nuge and Nurse are on pace for career years. Connor is once again in the thick of the Art Ross race and is 4 back of Ovi for the Richard.

And many fans are actively cheering for losses.

People are allowed to do whatever they like as fans of course but I’m not nearly as pessimistic, some giant holes will be filled over the next two weeks.

The Oilers are in the hunt for a playoff spot in late January… this has happened exactly 3 times in the last 13 years.

Big game tonight!

95. Jaxon says:

Wilde:
    Derek,

was a bad idea to share it too early before the project is finished

It was nice to see, however briefly. With those numbers and the recent waivers, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Benson come up for a cup of coffee. I think it might be good for him as well to see where he stands against mid season NHL competition. To get verification of what he has to work on and what his strengths are.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice: Shelter with who? A 6-7-Russel? Not gonna help.

Truth be told, for his warts (gap control, starfish), Russell would be a solid veteran shelter on the third pairing. With that said, hopefully Bouch is penciled in for Bakersfield – unlikely but hopefully.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

I would much prefer to leave guys like Benson in the minor leagues.

As per my previous post, the Oilers have a long (and recent) history of bringing up every AHL player with a hint of success – let him enjoy the success, maintain it, find some consistency, battle for the playoffs and continue to develop. Lets give the kid the year and let him come to camp ready to battle for a job.

98. OriginalPouzar says:

Anxious to see if there is any sort of additional roster moves adjustments today.

Assuming Rattie and Spooner are either claimed (Rattie maybe) or clear and are re-assigned, with Jones down and Petrovic being activated (I assume), the leaves the team with 21 roster players.

Now, its the last game before a giant break so I guess they could just stick with the 21.

Sekera could be activated perhaps for the Condors game tomorrow or perhaps the weekend – if he is going to be activated. Subject to application for extension, he can only play 3 games and the Condors have 4 more before the Oilers play Philly.

Or perhaps the moves yesterday have nothing to do with Sekera.

99. Pescador says:

drglen:
    I”m becoming scared to check in with the blog.. to hear the latest news.

That and or read the latest truth about how bad it is.
    The eye test says the team is bad, the numbers say its worse

100. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!,

– Cheers! What you said is what some of the Oil have said: they aren’t all doom and gloom: they have their work cut out, but they believe, and it would be nice for them to have have the fans rally

– 33 games left: Klef and Sek back for some of them, two great runs of hockey already this year when the D is healthy: why not

– We all can do what we want but cheering for losses while in hunt thinking that will fire the GM, and that alone makes us better is a bunch of leaps: I’d rather cheer playoffs and off-season retool

101. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Both you and OP have mentioned some of the niggling things that I also consider to be giant truths, specifically the impact of losing Sekera and Klefbom for significant chunks of the last two years.

Teams can and should be able to weather injuries. Losing your top two defensemen is incredibly hard to weather, from both an on-ice and salary cap perspective. With those two down you have $10 million sitting on the shelf collecting dust and 40 minutes of high end LD talent not flying the sorties.

These injuries are kryptonite in a cap world when you’re simultaneously building a young team from the backend forward. Folks can spin this however they want but its delusional to think that these two injuries haven’t had a giant impact. Two best defensemen, two best puckmovers, two best “all situations” dmen, two guys who can play 22+ minutes a night.

Guys that can fill that kind of gap don’t just fall from the sky with zero cap or trade cost.

The team has treaded water. Not good, some ugly losses but can finish the month over .500.

Get those two back and perhaps, maybe, theoretically, we’ll see what a team that ices an NHL level defense corps does for our team. My bet is that the difference will be substantial.

RonnieB: Prior to Pete blowing ~80% of the goalie budget on Koskinen i had been wondering about a Koskinen/Howard 1A/1B combo next season with combined Cap in the same neighbourhood as Talbot/Koskinen.
    2017/18, 60 games, 2.85 GAA, .910 save %
    2018/19, 31 games, 2.78 GAA, .915 save %

Howard is going to get more than $5 million per season (probably on a two-year deal).

103. SoCaloil says:

Casey De Smith 3x $1.25 SV% .917 GA 2.40 (18-19)
    Mikko Koskinen 3x $4.5 SV% .911 , GA 2.78

I like the signing and term….dollars seem interesting.

104. maudite says:

Re Koskinen:
    Wow…that 2 million per and 1 year too many.

You’d think a good dealer might want to wait until he trades the other goalie…Now that other managers know you are locked in, they will generally offer you less for the asset that is Talbot.

This team is absolutely doomed for a long time.

« Older Comments