True Blue

by Lowetide

If Elliotte Friedman is correct (always a good bet) then the Oilers will be activating Andrej Sekera in the coming days. A trip to Bakersfield for Condors conditioning will be followed by his return to the NHL for the first time since April 2, 2018. The activation of Sekera and Oscar Klefbom in the coming days will give Edmonton nine blue and that’s way too many. What’s more, Caleb Jones, who has been a better third pairing lefty than some of the roster defensemen, is in Bakersfield awaiting recall. How will Keith Gretzky solve the issue?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton brought it yesterday, there’s a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Finding a path to the playoffs may involve reckless use of future assets by the Oilers
  • New Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
  • Tyler Dellow: A deeper look at Connor McDavid and the Oilers’ 5-on-5 offensive changes under Ken Hitchcock
  • Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
  • Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
  • Lowetide: Caleb Jones has impressive first showing in the NHL with Oilers.
  • Tyler Dellow: Four questions that the Oilers should be asking candidates for the GM job
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: New Oilers caretaker Keith Gretzky caught between earning playoff berth and keeping future assets
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

OILERS BLUE

• Edmonton’s two best defensemen are Oscar Klefbom and Adam Larsson. The duo also sees the toughest competition.
  • The two other defenders who see elites most often (last I checked) are Darnell Nurse and Kris Russell. That second pair is the weak spot for the Oilers.
  • The best third pairing (and an inexpensive one) might be Kevin Gravel and Matt Benning. I’m not sure Ken Hitchcock is a massive Gravel fan.
  • I don’t have any idea where Andrej Sekera, Alex Petrovic or Brandon Manning fit.
  • It might come down to trading Matt Benning and sending Brendon Manning to Bakersfield.

Oilers Cam Talbot has moved up to No. 8, Jesse Puljujarvi moved down to No. 34. If Sekera is coming back and cap room is dear, I think we’ll see a veteran dealt at the deadline. I’ll guess Talbot or Zack Kassian, possibly Tobias Rieder but he isn’t having a great season. Ryan Rishaug mentioned Kris Russell yesterday on the Dustin Nielson Show (Dan Tencer guest host) and that’s an idea too. Oilers need room now and later.

Darren Dreger talked to Dusty this morning, saying “Talbot is going to fetch something that matters in return. But it’s not going to be a top-six forward. So what’s it likely going to be. Is it a young NHL roster player and a pick. Is it a better pick and a prospect. I don’t know what the Oilers are looking for Talbot. What I know is that the interest is developing around Cam Talbot.”

I keep looking for a Matt Benning trade, Chicago might be a destination. Curious the team would send the phenom down, in the games I’ve seen the young man has played well. Mark Letestu was recalled by Columbus the other day, that’s another player who might be on the move.

KEN HITCHCOCK

• Ken Hitchcock: “My whole focus right now is the Edmonton Oilers. I know I haven’t been here a long time but I’m feeling everybody’s angst over the last 12 or 13 years and that’s my sole focus.”

I’m breaking my 24-hour rule but the quote above is like the sixth best one in the article posted last night by Terry Jones. Please click and read, you’ll not regret it.

THE WHISKY SUMMIT

Lowdown with Lowetide has a special first hour today, beginning at 10 this morning TSN1260. I’ll be asking questions of Darcy McLeod, Bruce McCurdy, Tyler Hupka and Tyler Yaremchuk in a mid-season edition of the roundtable. We’ll drill down on a most unusual season.

Hour two will feature Frank Seravalli of TSN, we’ll chat about the new trade board and the impending exit of Cam Talbot. We’ll also have some NFL content, still tracking down a Rams or Patriots guest.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

177 comments

You may also like

177 comments

OriginalPouzar February 1, 2019 - 9:18 am

texmex:
DasBavaria,

He posted this last night, despite Klefbom and hitch saying he was ok and sat out the last drill intentionally. Spector saw something at practice and made his own conclusions.

That being said, I did not gain much confidence from Klefboms interview post practice. He didn’t seem to confident he would return Saturday. Will be interested to see if he skates today

He is on the ice for practice this morning – Spector is already tweeting out “phew”.

There is no need for “phew” – Both Hitch and Klef stated after practice yesterday that he “passed the test”, there was no set-back from the slash he took from Jesse and that he’d practice this morning.

OilSafety February 1, 2019 - 9:06 am

Cape Breton OIlers 4EVR has me thinking about Kapanen now. Some questions for the group…

What will his next contractor look like?
Coming off a little less than 900000 and due for a big raise probably with term. Toronto probably has to bridge him if they keep him at all.

What will it take to acquire him?
They need grit. Would Kassian fill that need, or do they need it higher in the line up. Maybe Lucic with significant money retained? Would he go there?
Maybe Kassian, Yammamoto (I know, it hurts me too) and a 2020 2nd? (Im not good at this, be gentle)

OilSafety February 1, 2019 - 8:49 am

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR,

Now there’s a player to grab. Hes due a raise for sure, but has had quite the offensive year already. Tripple his production from last year. A Finnish success story….. hmmm

godot10 February 1, 2019 - 8:32 am

DasBavaria:
New Article from Spec: Klef with an apparent setback?

Some #FakeNews in that. Or at least incomplete. Think Spec didn’t like the late practice, rushed to file a story, and didn’t hang around for the post game interviews, which clarified the incident.

texmex February 1, 2019 - 8:28 am

DasBavaria,

DasBavaria February 1, 2019 - 8:10 am
Lowetide February 1, 2019 - 8:06 am

For The Athletic: If fast is the new big, how do the Edmonton Oilers get there in a hurry?

OriginalPouzar February 1, 2019 - 7:46 am

Yes – Condors are back in action tonight and no conflict with an Oilers game so we can pay full attention.

Going for their 9th straight win!

Woodguy v2.0 February 1, 2019 - 6:51 am

Too kind all

Thanks

Gerta Rauss January 31, 2019 - 10:31 pm

Numenius,

lol…it’s largely a copy/paste from Websters with a few edits, no disrespect intended

Numenius January 31, 2019 - 10:19 pm

Gerta Rauss:
So, is Wood-rant a thing now..?

Wood-rant sp;Woodrant
verb [l]
to speak, write or shout in a loud, uncontrolled, or angry way, often saying confused or silly things,and may include references to wood,laminates, and on occasion, medite

In extreme cases, excited utterances may refer to a Lucic or a Ference

noun [C]
a long,angry and confused speech, often containing phrases such as drafting,development,or culture

-He seemed fine through the first period, but after that shorthanded goal he went on a Woodrant

It’s a nice idea, but I wouldn’t really describe the rant as long, angry, confused, uncontrolled, or silly.

For my part, I thought it was concise, cutting, controlled, and cogent.

Glovjuice January 31, 2019 - 10:13 pm

GMB3: I as well would contribute.

Count me in for $100.

Rich M January 31, 2019 - 10:07 pm

hunter1909:
Woodguy with that rant has now become the Babe Ruth of Lowetide’s blog.

Truly epic writing.

Well said.

And Bravo to Woodguy. Epic. Outstanding.

Gerta Rauss January 31, 2019 - 9:26 pm

So, is Wood-rant a thing now..?

Wood-rant sp;Woodrant
verb [l]

In extreme cases, excited utterances may refer to a Lucic or a Ference

noun [C]

GMB3 January 31, 2019 - 9:19 pm

Ryan: Absolutely brilliant yet poignant!

Too many words for a T-Shirt.

If someone wants to crowd source funding for a full page ad in the journal, I’ll make a nice contribution.

How much does a full page ad in the journal run these days? Bruce?

I as well would contribute.

Crazy Pedestrian January 31, 2019 - 9:11 pm

hunter1909:
Woodguy with that rant has now become the Babe Ruth of Lowetide’s blog.

Truly epic writing.

I rarely get to listen to lowetide live, but today was was one of those days. I, like everyone else who heard Woodguy’s rant on “Oilers culture”, thought it was a masterpiece! Made me clap and cheer. Would love to see the look on the OBC faces if someone were to play that rant at a press conference or something. Hell, I think it would make a great tv. segment on TSN or Sportsnet! (Assuming the NHL would let it air without getting someone fined or fired)

hunter1909 January 31, 2019 - 9:02 pm

Woodguy with that rant has now become the Babe Ruth of Lowetide’s blog.

Truly epic writing.

Ryan January 31, 2019 - 8:40 pm

For those with no time to listen someone on twitter transcribed my little rant:

I’d cut and paste it here, but its a pic

Absolutely brilliant yet poignant!

Too many words for a T-Shirt.

How much does a full page ad in the journal run these days? Bruce?

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 8:30 pm

ArmchairGM: San Jose could use a goalie and they have the cap space. Washington has been suggested as a possible candidate for a Talbot trade too, but I haven’t verified their cap situation.

Washington has about as much cap space as the Oilers – they would need to dispose of cap to take on cap. Hence why Buarakovsky and his $3M for 12 points makes sense – RFA that needs to be qualified at $3.25M

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 8:23 pm

Woodguy v2.0:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

Here’s a link to today’s show: https://soundcloud.com/lowdownwithlowetide/jan-31-hour-1-feat-mccurdy-woodguy-hupka

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

Beautiful! Required listening.

hunter1909 January 31, 2019 - 8:21 pm

For those with no time to listen someone on twitter transcribed my little rant:

I’d cut and paste it here, but its a pic

Woodguy comes across like someone who emerges from a cave every now and again, scares the daylights out of everyone then returns to the cave until next time.

Outstanding post!

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 8:21 pm

Alpine: Those are the options. No one else needs a goalie for a playoff run or do they have the cap space for a 4 mil backup.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 8:09 pm

Ok, well, then, thanks.

hunter1909 January 31, 2019 - 8:07 pm

OriginalPouzar: sarcasm?????

lol no seriously.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 8:03 pm

Hitch says both Klef and Sekera passed their tests today.

This was the first time Klef was “banged around” and he passed the test. He didn’t participate in the last drill on purpose.

Sekera also passed his test – he’s got another step and then needs to decide when he’s going to play games – i figure he’ll play for the Condors next Friday, Sat and the following Wed. 3 games in 6 days (the max for each on an LTIR non-activation stint).

Gerta Rauss January 31, 2019 - 7:56 pm

Rebillled:
No pressure on Oscar or Andrej Souray.

lol

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 7:48 pm

OriginalPouzar:
Mark Spector

Verified account

@SportsnetSpec8m8 minutes ago
Klefbom having trouble with injured left hand. Has seen trainer. Now a nonparticipating in battle drills.

Video:

Klef says this was just a slash by Jesse who “got him where he wasn’t supposed to” but he came through it just fine – I guess that’s a good test?

Rebillled January 31, 2019 - 7:47 pm

No pressure on Oscar or Andrej Souray.

texmex January 31, 2019 - 7:44 pm

Frank seravalli:

Sounds like #Oilers had a positive conversation with Cam Talbot, letting him know they are leaving door open to signing him to an extension. But EDM has imminent cap issues (activating Sekera) and Talbot would seem to be one vehicle to clear space via trade. Stay tuned.

I’m not sure what this even means?!?!

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 7:39 pm

hunter1909: Your incredibly insightful posts keep on getting better and better.

sarcasm?????

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 7:29 pm

Just a lone assist from Maksimov tonight in another Guelph blow out win but, from SPR, who watches a ton of OHL and provides great intel:

@TheOilKnight
Following Following @TheOilKnight
Replying to @coopsie39
I wish I recorded tonight’s game. Maksimov’s defensive game tonight has been fantastic. Terrific reads, head on a swivel, creating turnovers in defensive zone. He looks like a pro.

Buddy January 31, 2019 - 7:28 pm

For those with no time to listen someone on twitter transcribed my little rant:

I’d cut and paste it here, but its a pic

Just had the chance to read this, this is so brilliant I want to listen to it as well, just to savour it all.

Good lord, I hope Katz and the OBC come across this somehow.

hunter1909 January 31, 2019 - 7:21 pm

OriginalPouzar:
I’m sure most will roll their eyes at this but a good acquaintance of mine in Edmonton is good friends with Sekera and he thought he was going to the Bake today butmanagement changed it on him last minute.

To me, next Friday makes more sense so he can get the max 3 games in the max 6 days without being activated and the team needing to get cap compliant.

If he went today, he’d only get 2 games.

Your incredibly insightful posts keep on getting better and better.

hunter1909 January 31, 2019 - 7:19 pm

At some point you have to imagine C McD being sat down for “the talk”…

Where Lowe+MacT and the OBC pitch him(and succeed) on the benefits of tanking just one more time…lol if it wasn’t probably happening this would be ridiculous.

pts2pndr January 31, 2019 - 7:16 pm

OriginalPouzar,

Put me on the list of many that enjoy your posts!

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 7:05 pm

I’m sure most will roll their eyes at this but a good acquaintance of mine in Edmonton is good friends with Sekera and he thought he was going to the Bake today but management changed it on him last minute.

If he went today, he’d only get 2 games.

jtblack January 31, 2019 - 6:35 pm

DRAFT RANDOM: – COURTESY WHL.CA

The Western Hockey League announced today that 2019 NHL Draft prospect Bowen Byram of the Vancouver Giants has been named the WHL McSweeney’s Player of the Month for January 2019.

Byram recorded 19 points (10G-9A) and a plus-17 rating in 13 games as the Giants led all WHL teams in points earned throughout the month with a 9-3-0-1 record. Their month, which included an eight-game winning streak, increased their lead in the B.C. Division to 17 points while also placing them within five points of the lead in the Western Conference.

Over the course of the 13 games, Byram recorded points in 11 of the contests, including a pair of multi-goal games. On Saturday, January 12 against the Kamloops Blazers, Byram recorded the first five-point game of his WHL career, setting a franchise record for points in a single game by a Giants’ defenceman. From his team’s nine wins during the month, Byram had the game-winning goal in three of those contests. The Cranbrook, B.C. product also recorded three other multi-point performances during the month.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 6:33 pm

Edmonton Oilers

Verified account

@EdmontonOilers
12m12 minutes ago
Coach Hitch says “the first test was passed today” for Klefbom. Also on the #Oilers blueline front, Sekera skated & is progressing in his prep to return.

Kaptain Vikarious January 31, 2019 - 6:17 pm

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

Our collective truth is in the 3rd segment starts around 27 min

*fify

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 6:10 pm

Doesn’t sound like its a foregone conclusion that Klef plays tomorrow:

Edmonton Oilers

Verified account

@EdmontonOilers
4m4 minutes ago
Klefbom says he’s excited to be back with the full #Oilers group. He’ll skate tomorrow morning again & may join the team in Philadelphia & Montreal.

workaroundaccount January 31, 2019 - 6:10 pm

Is Talbot a famous name? I just don’t see why you would get something substantial for him. I’m thinking more like 3rd round pick

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 6:07 pm

Mark Spector

Verified account

@SportsnetSpec
8m8 minutes ago

Video:

texmex January 31, 2019 - 6:00 pm

Per Spector. Not good news

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 5:59 pm

tileguy: Kreider for yammo and a second, do that in a heartbeat. Talbot out for picks gives us the cap room. Yammo is now a B prospect, the second is a a B prospect at best and we get a perennial 20 goal scorer who has another year left. I salivate at the thought of Drai, JP and Kreider,

I don’t agree that Yamamoto is the same level of prospect at a 2nd rounder.

To me, anyone that believes that Yamamoto’s value has decreased to his development post-draft had/has unreasonable expectations on prospect development timelines.

Yamamoto has the value of a 22nd overall draft pick, greater than a 2nd rounder, as it should not be expected, at all, for a 22nd overall pick to be anywhere but the minor leagues as a recently turned 20 year first year pro.

At this stage of the Oilers “development”, I don’t trade the rookie pro 1st rounder for a veteran who is going to be a UFA in a year and, frankly, isn’t all that good – he’s fine but he’s a solid 2nd liner, that’s all and I don’t think we’ll be looking to re-sign a close to 30 year old winger in a year and a bit.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 5:50 pm

godot10: The Oilers can keep Sekera on LTIR and send him to Bakersfield for 6 days/3games without activating him to the 23 man roster to evaluate whether he is fit to come off of LTIR.

This is clearly applicable in Sekera’s case.

From the CBA, page 74

13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player who is
on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50 may, with his
consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception (but in no event
during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL Games), be Loaned on a
Conditioning Loan (the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan”) for
a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games, solely for the purpose
of determining whether the Player is fit to play. If the Club determines that it needs more time to
ARTICLE 13 13.10-13.12
assess the Player’s fitness to play, the Club may file a written request with the Commissioner’s
Office, with a copy to the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, to extend the Loan for
an additional two (2) games. The Commissioner, upon good cause, may approve the one-time
extension. The Commissioner’s approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. A Player on a
Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan will continue to be listed on
Injured Reserve and will not count against the Club’s 23-man roster limit. The Club’s Bona Fide
Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception will continue until the Conditioning Loan ends, and his
Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses will continue to count against the Club’s Upper Limit and
the Players’ Share during such time.

You are right but I don’t understand because I had done this research before and I don’t know why I had it wrong in my head – my clients should be very afraid right now and I’m effing embarrassed, big time.

I apologize for spreading misinformation.

In order to get the full 3 games, in the 6 days, I think they’ll assign him on the conditioning loan next Friday.

We won’t have to worry about getting cap compliant for a couple of weeks still.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 5:38 pm

pts2pndr: Great move exactly what OP would suggest! Ducks and runs for cover

I’m actually OK with it given my current focus on development and desire to keep all the kids in the AHL.

I think both Joe G. and P. Russell could bring more to the NHL lineup but I also want to ensure that the Condors’ are given the best chance to continue their run and make the playoffs. I don’t believe the plan is for Malone to actually play unless there is an injury so, I’d rather him removed from the Condors than any other reasonable call-up option.

If he does play, as long as he doesn’t take bad minor penalties like he did last year – multiple times.

—————

I am really focussed on the Condors and the playoffs (of course, not to the material detriment of the NHL team at this point) – a nice playoff run will get some CHL guys some nice playing time as well when their seasons are done.

Each of Samorukov, McLeod, Bouchard, Safin (who will be back apparently), Maskimov are on good teams that should have OHL playoff success. We may need the Condors to have the same in order for those guys to play in the AHL this year.

Andy Dufresne January 31, 2019 - 5:38 pm

Not to be negative, but how many losses required before we turn our full attention to the draft?

What pace do we need to be at to keep hope alive? .600? .650?

If we loose 4 in a row are we done?

Darth Tu January 31, 2019 - 5:29 pm

Andy Dufresne:

Will he still play Manning over Gravel?Will his utilization of JP change at all? Rattie? Spooners already been sent down.

Malone’s been called up, MALONE???, is this at Hitches request?etc etc

Going by the lines from practice, it looks like Rattie is being favored over Jesse for the moment. Manning is also still on the 3rd pairing with Gravel splitting time with Sekera.

Crazy Pedestrian January 31, 2019 - 5:28 pm

Nurse-Russell
Manning-Benning
Sekara/Gravel-Petrovic

Koskinen
Talbot

———————
Really nice to see Rattie on the 1st line and the 3 center split.

Really happy to see Chiasson NOT on McDavid’s line

REALLY nice to see Klefbom back in his rightful spot

Lucic on the top line – well, not great to see it but who is the other left wing option up there?I’m willing to give it a shot fresh off a break. Lucic does have some goals in 2019.

Roster layout is ok I guess. the only change I would make (that doesn’t include miraculously morphing A boat anchor into a speedboat), would be to switch Kassian and JP.

Come on oilers! Now that chia is gone, it would be GREAT if you could pull off a big win streak to push into the playoffs with some momentum!

Edit: would also swap Manning with Gravel

Andy Dufresne January 31, 2019 - 5:26 pm

Nailer Yakumoto: If someone could make a video of Andy Dufresne putting the needle on the record, and Woodguys rant playing over the speakers in the yard, that would really be something.

Id be happy to do it! Judgement Cometh! And That Right Soon!

Being an Oilers Fan really does feel like being a Prisoner in the yard.

adamjames2 January 31, 2019 - 5:22 pm

So what is reasonable expectations for Sekera’s speed when he comes back? Are we hoping for Griffin Reinhart footspeed? What if it’s closer to Jason Garrison? Alex Plante?

I think he’s smart enough to adapt.. But to jump in mid season? Lets hope he’s at least the fix for the culture deficit in the room ?

Andy Dufresne January 31, 2019 - 5:21 pm

Seems to me like Hitch says a lot of things to endear himself to the MSM and the fan base. Like he believes he’s got a shot at staying on past the end of the year.

Will be interesting to see if and how much he changes his roster assignments now that he doesnt have to be as concerned with endearing himself to the GM.

Will he still play Manning over Gravel? Will his utilization of JP change at all? Rattie? Spooners already been sent down.

Malone’s been called up, MALONE???, is this at Hitches request? etc etc

tileguy January 31, 2019 - 5:13 pm

OriginalPouzar,

The other left wing option is Kreider.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 5:10 pm

Lines at late practice today:

Lucic-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Khaira-RNH-Kassian
Cave-Brodziak-Puljujarvi
Malone (flight delayed)

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Manning-Benning
Sekara/Gravel-Petrovic

Koskinen
Talbot

———————
Really nice to see Rattie on the 1st line and the 3 center split.

Really happy to see Chiasson NOT on McDavid’s line

REALLY nice to see Klefbom back in his rightful spot

Lucic on the top line – well, not great to see it but who is the other left wing option up there? I’m willing to give it a shot fresh off a break. Lucic does have some goals in 2019.

tileguy January 31, 2019 - 5:07 pm

OriginalPouzar: I’m not a big Kreider fan so, no, I’m not trading a legit offensive prospect (yes, legit, he’s 20 and a rookie pro) for a year and a bit.

Also, you need to find a way to dispose of apx $4M in cap hit to make it work this year.

We’ve banked almost no cap space throughout the year due to our injuries and being in to LTIR relief for most of it.

who January 31, 2019 - 5:02 pm

pts2pndr: If your belief is that Benning tops out as a third pairing D moving him at the trade deadline if you get a reasonable offer could be a wise move! We have 2 or 3 D battling for that spot next year and could end up waving Benning and getting nothing. If Benning is considered a viable short term fix at second pairing right D he should not be moved.

We’ve been over this several times in the last 2 years.
Benning can’t handle second pairing minutes. Trade him for a pick or prospect and bank the cap savings for a significant addition to next year’s roster.

Truth January 31, 2019 - 4:48 pm

Oilers trying to trade Talbot to Vegas “Look, you’re going to need a decent backup goalie in case something was to happen to Fleury during the playoffs. We’ve seen it here before when Roloson went down in 06. If you don’t have a good backup there is no point in even making an attempt at the playoffs. All we are looking for in return is a decent depth piece we can include in our roster. Maybe someone that can jump up in the lineup if there is an injury at a key position. Key word here is we need them for a playoff appearance this year.”

Vegas: “Chiarelli, what are you still doing making calls on behalf of the Oilers.”

Nailer Yakumoto January 31, 2019 - 4:46 pm

Shane:
DasBavaria,

All we have to do now is highjack the PA at Rogers and put it on repeat.

docweb January 31, 2019 - 4:28 pm

Woodguy v2.0:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

Awesome sauce!! Wish I could have “cut and paste” that for my Oiler Season ticket holder survey…would have probably made more sense than my ranting

Darth Tu January 31, 2019 - 4:20 pm

On the subject of defensive prospects, do we have any more news about Ryan Mantha? Last I heard was before this season started, and that he was skating/training but not ready to play yet. I sincerely hope he can return to play again!

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 4:08 pm

OriginalPouzar: No, when on the conditioning stint, the player counts against the 23 man roster – as per the CBA.

This is clearly applicable in Sekera’s case.

From the CBA, page 74

ARTICLE 13 13.10-13.12
the Players’ Share during such time.

pts2pndr January 31, 2019 - 4:06 pm

Jonathan Willis
‏@JonathanWillis

At $650,000, literally the cheapest possible call-up (and as a centre a good fit for the No. 13 F role).

Great move exactly what OP would suggest! Ducks and runs for cover?

Darth Tu January 31, 2019 - 4:01 pm

OriginalPouzar: I’m all about letting Jones continue to play in the AHL, so I agree with you there, but I thought its important to note that I didn’t really see Jones making those mistakes when he was playing on the 3rd pairing for a few games – they were made when he was play tough top 4 minutes with Adam Larsson (generally).

I agree, the mistakes were all when he was paired with Larsson against tougher competition. That said, I think there was enormous value in him playing at that level (briefly), he may have a better idea on what he has to improve upon in his own game before making the jump to the NHL full time for next year.

pts2pndr January 31, 2019 - 4:00 pm

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Maybe – recall both Marincin and Davidson had a small sample of goodness in trial runs that was encouraging, but when slotted full-time they weren’t up to the task

– Jones in small sample might be better than Benningdepending on what you pick, but we know what we have in Benning: a legit experienced 3RHD with some tough: Jones looks good

– Trading Benning to gift Jones his slot is likely, based on Oil however.

commonfan29 January 31, 2019 - 3:50 pm

Dellow just mentioned in passing within an NBA tweet that he’d been on a flight.

Dare to dream?

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:49 pm

russ99:
Oddspell,

I’d do it cheap, maybe a two-way deal.

Certainly nothing he’s done this year deserves a raise.

Keeping players for continuity’s sake at inflated RFA contracts are a big reason why we made some of our less smart trades this year and why we have a talent gap now.

Why do you care about a 2-way deal? That has zero to do with anything related to the cap or anything except the pocket books of the player and the owner (as the player makes less money in the AHL – that’s it).

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:42 pm

godot10: Don’t they get 3 games and/or 1 week in Bakersfield without adding Sekera to the roster (before the conditioning stint) to verify whether Sekera is sufficiently healthy to come off LTIR?

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:41 pm

Darth Tu:
“What’s more, Caleb Jones, who has been a better third pairing lefty than some of the roster defensemen, is in Bakersfield awaiting recall. How will Keith Gretzky solve the issue?”

Hold your horses there LT! I liked what I saw of young Caleb in patches, but he was also prone to some horrendous rookie mistakes that led directly to goals against.At this moment (this pains me to say) I rate Manning higher than Jones as a 3rd pair option.Add to that Gravel (yes I realise that Hitch doesn’t seem sold on him, despite the good numbers and fairly solid play) and now the return of Sekera.Granted with Sekera we don’t know what we have in him post injury, but surely he’ll be 3rd pairing level at least?

Let Jones play in the AHL for the rest of the year and iron out the defensive issues and then we can look at him again in camp.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:39 pm

ArmchairGM: I have a deal on the table with NYR:

Yammer + 2019 2nd for Chris Kreider

What do you think?

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:35 pm

Woogie63: Could the Oilers waive Sekera, vs. sending him for a conditioning stint that would save the$1,050 needed and give him more than three games on the farm.If he is picked up … so be it, if he is not picked up we have more flexibility.

Not sure just exploring another option here?

Subject to him waiving his NMC.

We know he’s agreeable (and in favor) of heading on a conditioning stint but we don’t know if he’s willing to go down in the normal course with no mandated recall guarantee.

The length of the conditioning stint can be extended on application to the league (would not give us that $1,050,000 savings though).

Klima's_Bucket January 31, 2019 - 3:30 pm

Malone called up?

Does the guy that shit on Malone all summer still post around here???
If so, look out.
I keed, I keed.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:30 pm

Kinger_Oil.redux: – ammended to top-3: thanks jerk (joking!!!)

– Jar is the only non-1st round draft and develop player on roster: just a brutal organizational fail

Brodziak and I’d include Benning as well given was never really part of the Boston org and came to us straight from college, similar to if he was drafted by us.

Of course, starting next year, the following players, not drafted in the first round and being developed by the Oilers org, should have legit shots at NHL jobs (and, those that don’t make it, providing talented NHL-ready (or close thereto) injury cover:

Lagesson
Jones
Bear
Benson
Marody

As we’ve discussed, nope, not should be slotted in above the bottom 6 or 3rd pairing, however, there is some nice talent that’s about to hit the bottom of the lineup.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:22 pm

106 and 106:
OriginalPouzar,

Why wouldn’t CAPS keep Burakovsky for the playoffs? All in man.

Because he is essentially a struggling 4th liner for them – not a material player. He’s got 12 points this year.

Of course, when buying, contenders generally use pick and prospect currency, however, (a) this player isn’t material to their current roster and (b) the Caps are in to LTIR relief and have about as much cap space as us. In order to acquire any cap, they’ll need to dispose of it so picks/prospects for Talbot doesn’t work for them.

Caps can’t acquire without disposing of a roster player.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:20 pm

106 and 106:
At last year’s Feb time or deadline the goalies swapped were:

Petr Mrazek went for a 4th (conditional) and a 3rd (conditional)
Montoya went for a 4th
2 others for futures

That sets market price at what, a 4th and a 3rd for Cam Talbot? A struggling UFA rental? Maybe two 3rd round picks?

Montoya had a bit of term so not a pure rental….

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 3:17 pm

ArmchairGM:

Thats my guess. I’m also told that a playoff-bound team with cap space would trade a 6th for Brandon Manning. Defensive depth for a playoff run – it’s a thing.

If that is true, it has to be done.

Its clear that the coach does like Manning, however, that disposition (a) immediately cures the cap to activate Sekera and (b) gets rid of that cap hit for next for a player that the team really doesn’t need.

The verbal was the acquisition was, at least partially, in the name of cover for the injuries (Klef, Russell, Sekera) and, within days (hours) all will be activated.

Oil2Oilers January 31, 2019 - 3:01 pm

Woodguy v2.0:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

Well said, and sad that it seems so unlikely that your wisdom will be followed by the Oilers.

Woodguy v2.0 January 31, 2019 - 3:01 pm

stephen sheps: Yup, this was the goods, Darcy. Not a word out of place. Although to be fair, everyone on the panel had a few gems and it’s always good to hear McCurdy on the radio.

Thanks Stephen.

I wish I had remembered to add what @eastcoastoilerfan added:

Also #oilers culture to bring kids in from Europe and Russia and give them next to no off-ice support (English classes, chaperone, maybe room with an actual teammate..)

Woodguy v2.0 January 31, 2019 - 3:00 pm

For those with no time to listen someone on twitter transcribed my little rant:

I’d cut and paste it here, but its a pic

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 2:54 pm

I’m hopeful that Brad Malone doesn’t see the NHL ice but glad that its an AHL veteran that was called up and Yamamoto is going to get some more AHL time – maybe the organization was true to Nicholson’s word regarding the prospects.

It is interesting that Spooner is staying in the AHL (at least for now) and that it was Malone over the all-star Joe G. and P. Russell who was somewhat serviceable when called up earlier (better than Malone was last year, in my opinion).

I’m thinking maybe there isn’t a plan to play Malone and they want to keep those other guys helping Bakersfield. Malone is a big part of the Russell/Malone/Joe G. line but I think he’s “the third wheel” this year from what I’ve seen.

stephen sheps January 31, 2019 - 2:43 pm

Woodguy v2.0:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

YKOil January 31, 2019 - 2:35 pm

Woodguy v2.0:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

Nailed it. Well done. Bringing character… I don’t mind bringing in the odd ‘Hendricks type’ because you are adding something (fantastic work ethic, on ice demeanor and willing to sacrifice), in a position that won’t kill you (3rd or 4th line wing) at a low/reasonable cost. But, otherwise, fully agreed. Lucic, Clarkson, Ference… f&*k.

YKOil January 31, 2019 - 2:22 pm

russ99:
Oddspell,
Certainly nothing he’s done this year deserves a raise.

One could argue that getting rid of useful players, especially guys that are defensively responsible, have speed and are good PKer’s, is a big reason why we never get better results.

I’m good with Rieder at less than $1.5 million/year. His contract isn’t our issue.

tileguy January 31, 2019 - 2:15 pm

I hope Cam posts a shutout this weekend and ups his value.

Woodguy v2.0 January 31, 2019 - 2:10 pm

Edmonton Oilers
‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers
2m2 minutes ago

The #Oilers have recalled Brad Malone from the @Condors. The forward has scored 7 goals & 17 assists in 41 games with Bakersfield this season.

Jonathan Willis
‏@JonathanWillis

Woodguy v2.0 January 31, 2019 - 2:09 pm

Edmonton Oilers
‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers
2m2 minutes ago

Woodguy v2.0 January 31, 2019 - 2:07 pm

jtblack: didnt see a link?

Fixed

jtblack January 31, 2019 - 2:05 pm

PHILLY has won 5 in row. They do play in Boston tonight.

But my senses tell me they will win Saturday.

MTL has been good (Not sure how). They win Sunday.

With B2B losses, that will quickly change the playoff hopes and allow Kieth to sell off at the deadline.

This is a NEXT YEAR Team.

* I will see myself out *

jtblack January 31, 2019 - 2:04 pm

Woodguy v2.0:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

Here’s a link to today’s show.

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

didnt see a link?

Oddspell January 31, 2019 - 1:56 pm

russ99:
Oddspell,

I’d do it cheap, maybe a two-way deal.

Certainly nothing he’s done this year deserves a raise.

Definitely doesn’t deserve a raise, but I happily bring him back at $1.5 penciled in as a PK specialist, and if his scoring rebounds then you have a gem.

We’ll (presumably) have made upgrades to the Fs next year, and I’m guessing that we’ll see a new head coach as well. I’d be happy to give Rieder a second chance 1-year contract.

Woodguy v2.0 January 31, 2019 - 1:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks to LT for giving us a forum to share our opinions.

My rant is in the 3rd segment starts around 27min

russ99 January 31, 2019 - 1:49 pm

Alpine:
I think Talbot ends up in Carolina. They’re in a playoff race and have no goaltending certainty. Darling’s been sent down and Mrazek isn’t working. I’d bet on a Mrazek and a late pick as the return.

Vegas has cap space and lost Subban indefinitely. They can use Talbot to rest MAF for the playoffs, which they will very likely make. Oilers aren’t in competition for their playoff spot. Probably get Lagace or Dansk or Fucale in return.

Columbus has space for Talbot but almost too much uncertainty in net where I don’t know if you can find a deal there. Can’t take back Bob, and they likely want to keep Korpisalo as insurance for Bob’s departure.
—————-

Man, do I hope Koskinen is for real. We’re not getting anything remotely good back for Talbot. Might have to do a second deal for a reasonable goalie if we’re still in the playoff hunt.

Could also be a cap balancer in a larger move for cap coming back.

I like Dansk, he’s not had the best year in the AHL but he has a bit of a track record.

russ99 January 31, 2019 - 1:47 pm

OriginalPouzar:
Sounds like Sekera will be “full speed at practice” today.

Doesn’t know when either Klef or Sekera will play – will know more after practice the next few days.

Given the forgoing, I guess Sekera won’t be activated for the game in Bakersfield tomorrow.

I guess technically he could be activated for the Condors’ game on Sat and then also play next Fri/Sat for his three games but I presume he’ll be activated for the games next weekend and we’ll have a bit of time to figure out the cap.

“Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days.”

I’d suspect we need to have our cap in order for him to be able to come back on the roster before we put him on a conditioning assignment clock.

russ99 January 31, 2019 - 1:45 pm

Oddspell,

I’d do it cheap, maybe a two-way deal.

Certainly nothing he’s done this year deserves a raise.

Alpine January 31, 2019 - 1:39 pm

—————-

Shane January 31, 2019 - 1:36 pm

DasBavaria,

All we have to do now is highjack the PA at Rogers and put it on repeat.

DasBavaria January 31, 2019 - 1:25 pm

Just got a chance to listen to Woodguy’s monologue on Oilers’ “culture”.

It was brilliant.

Oddspell January 31, 2019 - 1:08 pm

Bag of Pucks:
0 goals for Rieder and some folks are still advocating bring him back?

I guess we like mediocrity.

We need a team where everyone on the roster chips in offensively. Scoring by committee.

In asset management parlance, if the stock doesn’t pay a dividend, dump it.

I’d absolutely bring back Rieder.

I just don’t pencil him in as a goal scorer. If he bounces back, great. If not, good thing I wasn’t counting on it.

Professor Q January 31, 2019 - 12:38 pm

stephen sheps:
10 goals and 18 points in 22 games with his hometown club, Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik during the lockout, followed up by his 17 goal NHL rookie half season. 27 combined goals in the top 2 leagues in the world that year and now 20 this year with 8 games remaining in the KHL regular season.

The one thing in common here (beyond the fact that the KHL isn’t as difficult a league as the NHL) is that the kid can score when put in a position to succeed.I hope he finishes strong and has a long playoff run.

Fun fact, Nail’s dad Rail is the CEO of his hometown club now.

I’d take him back, and trade for Hall.

The circle closes and the Oilers win the Cup.

Professor Q January 31, 2019 - 12:34 pm

Not sure just exploring another option here?

I think he has a NMC for now?

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 12:20 pm

Sounds like Sekera will be “full speed at practice” today.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 12:15 pm

Hitch confirms that the team couldn’t go down the same path if they want to seesuccess, need to “tweak some things”.

To paraphrase: Finding ways to play on the attack more – systematic principles that allow them to be more predictable, quicker, have more numbers in the offensive zone, more support. He’s done this before with success, in St. Louis. Felt like they have been too slow – the tempo has gone up and there is less room on the ice with closer checking and the principles need to be in place to get to a new level.

——————————————————-

Nice to hear but I’ve heard him talk about systematic changes before without, personally, seeing results.

Hopefully we see some great effort and results starting on Saturday.

Scungilli Slushy January 31, 2019 - 12:13 pm

godot10: No move clause which converts to a no trade this summer.So he cannot be waived without his consent.

CLAUSE DETAILS: Starting 2019-20, lists 15 teams he can be traded to.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 12:11 pm

Bye week will be officially over a bit later today – the team takes the ice at 5pm and then again tomorrow morning before heading to Philly.

DasBavaria January 31, 2019 - 12:10 pm

Kaptain Vikarious,

I’ll have to keep checking for it. I think I only have access to yesterday’s episode.

Scungilli Slushy January 31, 2019 - 12:06 pm

ArmchairGM: I have a deal on the table with NYR:

Yammer + 2019 2nd for Chris Kreider

What do you think?

Too much for .75PPG and one year left then UFA at 28YO. To me first round picks (Yama) need to bring back a lot. Kreider is a mid 6 at that scoring rate this year.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 11:59 am

Hitch will be on Oilers Now at 12:10 if anyone is interested.

Haven’t heard from him for a while – curious if he’ll talk about the personnel and game play changes Terry Jones alluded to.

BornInAGretzkyJersey January 31, 2019 - 11:56 am

Kaptain Vikarious,

My pleasure! WG’s rant on Edmonton Oilers culture should be required listening.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 11:53 am

Bag of Pucks:
0 goals for Rieder and some folks are still advocating bring him back?

I guess we like mediocrity.

In asset management parlance, if the stock doesn’t pay a dividend, dump it.

For $1M x 1? Yes, I’d bring him back.

Kaptain Vikarious January 31, 2019 - 11:41 am

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Thank you, again Dustin.

🙂

Kaptain Vikarious January 31, 2019 - 11:40 am

DasBavaria,

It’s presently up on the podcast, if you have access. Minute 28.

The entire roundtable is well worth the listen.

Edit: today’s date of course.

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR January 31, 2019 - 11:30 am

OilSafety:
Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR,

Thats a return I would take on Kassian alone. Seems a bit thin for a combo.

Kapanen maybe? I usually just hide under the covers when talk of another Oilers trade comes up! Kapanen’s actually a pretty good example of letting a guy learn the North American game in the minors, and ending up with a fairly useful player. He’d play on our top line right now, until the lines get shuffled 4 minutes into the game.

DasBavaria January 31, 2019 - 11:24 am

Kaptain Vikarious,

Any way for me to listen to it LT?

who January 31, 2019 - 11:21 am

Bag of Pucks:
0 goals for Rieder and some folks are still advocating bring him back?

I guess we like mediocrity.

In asset management parlance, if the stock doesn’t pay a dividend, dump it.

You’re making a decision based on this years results instead of looking forward.
There may be an opportunity here to sign him to a 1 year 1-1.2 million dollar contract. If he returns to historic scoring levels next year that is a value contract in your bottom 6.
Unless you think he has fallen off a cliff, but I see no evidence of that. He just can’t buy a goal.
Totally different scenario than Lucic, for example.

Kaptain Vikarious January 31, 2019 - 11:18 am

VERY WELL SAID WOODGUY!!!

…on Lowdown with Lowetide,,,10:40

Oilers “culture”

Simply stated. exact, and to the point. Nailed it. Refreshing.

Brilliant.

*clap, clap*

Bag of Pucks January 31, 2019 - 11:13 am

0 goals for Rieder and some folks are still advocating bring him back?

I guess we like mediocrity.

In asset management parlance, if the stock doesn’t pay a dividend, dump it.

who January 31, 2019 - 11:10 am

– Trading Benning to gift Jones his slot is likely, based on Oil however.

I think Jones has already exhibited a higher ceiling than Davidson and Marincin. And Benning as well, for that matter. The only reason Benning has hung around is because he shoots right.
If you can replace Benning with a similar player now that has a higher upside, don’t you make that trade? Jones for Benning saves a million on the cap next year.
Trading a Benning or Kassian for a little cap relief is a lot easier than trying to hit a home run by trading Lucic or Sekera.

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 11:06 am

If Hitch wants to play half court zone time with McDavid’s line he is wrong. With the rest of the team, trying to play half-court offense is fine, but with McDavid’s line, it should be up and down the ice, to make sure the opponent can’t collapse five guys into the RickiBox (as they do when McDavid is playing half sheet with Chiasson).

Nugent-Hopkins, McDavid, and Rieder are all fast, interchangeable-and-responsible defensively. Rush the puck, generate turnovers (and recover from your own) with intense back pressure. It might have to be a 5-man unit.

YKOil January 31, 2019 - 11:01 am

YKOil: If all I look at is the price paid to get Manning (the sunk cost) then a 6th doesn’t do it… if I don’t have immediate trade destinations for one of Sekera and/or Russell and have a useful brain-cell left in my head.. I make that trade as soon as possible.

To be clear – one of the things I wanted to point out there was how stupid it would be to fall into the sunk-cost trap. Clearing a bad contract at little to no EXTRA or NEW cost is always wise policy.

Primetime January 31, 2019 - 10:51 am

texmex:
ArmchairGM,

Why do I feel that the Oilers are going to leave Cam Talbot in Philly when they board the plane to Montreal?

Hopefully they don’t play him in Philly…that would kill any trade real quick….

Wilde January 31, 2019 - 10:51 am

ArmchairGM: I have a deal on the table with NYR:

Yammer + 2019 2nd for Chris Kreider

What do you think?

Runaway steal for EDM, cap doesn’t work but tbh you could probably flip Kreider for more than that price before Sekera even comes off IR

godot10: I think somebody might have been said this in pre-season.

Somebody is already saying this about Bouchard for next season too.

Start at the bottom, and then get here. Not start here, fail, get sent to the bottom with no confidence to start at the bottom, wasting a bloody season, .

I’m not really into calling my old shots because I miss more than hit, but I said it many times too; scrapped with vor and others about it, don’t think it was really the minority opinion at all

Kaptain Vikarious January 31, 2019 - 10:49 am

VERY WELL SAID WOODGUY!!!

…on Lowdown with Lowetide,,,10:40

Oilers “culture”

Simply stated. exact, and precise.

Btilliant.

*clap, clap*

texmex January 31, 2019 - 10:48 am

ArmchairGM,

True, but they don’t have a starting goalie signed for next year unless they plan to run Hart as the #1. A trade for Talbot lets them get a 30 game look at him prior to offering him a contract, or not as the case may be. But the return in this scenario would be minimal.

But to your point, a PO team looking for a solid backup would likely net the best return (still minimal IMO).

frjohnk January 31, 2019 - 10:45 am

Great roundtable LT.

Should be done once a month.

3 fantastic guests.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 10:42 am

texmex:
ArmchairGM,

The more Oiler-esque scenario is they trade Cam to Philly today/tomorrow, he starts against the Oilers on Saturday and posts his 21st career shutout.

Philly isn’t in the playoff picture thus aren’t in the market for rentals, and their 1G future is already here. IMO that scenario is not going to happen.

I’d look at a playoff team with shaky goaltending that will want an experienced backup. San Jose and Washington fit the bill.

Any injury to a starter over the next couple of weeks could be a huge opportunity for us.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 10:37 am

godot10: The Oilers are capped out.Not financially possible without salary out equalized.

Salary out would happen in a separate deal… like, say, Talbot.

texmex January 31, 2019 - 10:33 am

ArmchairGM,

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 10:28 am

texmex: u

Trade coming?

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 10:28 am

ArmchairGM: I have a deal on the table with NYR:

Yammer + 2019 2nd for Chris Kreider

What do you think?

The Oilers are capped out. Not financially possible without salary out equalized.

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 10:25 am

Not sure just exploring another option here?

No move clause which converts to a no trade this summer. So he cannot be waived without his consent.

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 10:22 am

Wilde:
I’ll have watched every game Yamamoto played with the Condors after one more period and cannot see whatever the Oilers saw calling him up.

There’s a ton there and there’s a lot of building happening, almost mid-game improvement and they just uproot him inexplicably.

Had he just started in the AHL at the beginning of the year he’d probably be ready by now. This is mind-numbing.

I think somebody might have been said this in pre-season.

Somebody is already saying this about Bouchard for next season too.

YKOil January 31, 2019 - 10:19 am

ArmchairGM:

I still say that a retained salary Spooner (retain $1.1 million putting him at $2 million for next year) is a very tradeable asset.

Far away trade… if Ottawa goes into rebuild mode and loses/trades Stone and Duchene, then methinks that Ottawa will work hard to hit the Cap floor (I expect $62 million give or take). I predict one of:
– Sekera ($2 million spread Cap vs. salary over duration of contract) or
– Lucic (after July signing bonus, $8 million spread Cap vs. salary over duration of contract) ends up there next year

Between Stone, Duchene and Burrows they (Ottawa) have ~ $16 million dropping from their Cap this summer. In the next two years they have another $12+ million in non-active player contracts dropping from the Cap. Barring a re-sign of Stone and Duchene they lack internal options for meaningful salary growth until Chabot in 2020-21.

Basically, they are on a treadmill and they will have to pick up speed soon if they want to stay in Cap compliance, vis-a-vis the Cap floor, over the next few years.

Opportunity there imo.

BornInAGretzkyJersey January 31, 2019 - 10:18 am

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I think it points to a failure of past regimes.

The drafting has certainly been improving since 2015; development takes longer to suss out, but also looks promising. We’ll know more with how they handle Bouchard and the ilk of Yamamoto/Jones/Bear/Benson/McLeod/etc in the next year or so.

texmex January 31, 2019 - 10:12 am

No OIlers are on waivers today so I assume Sekera doesn’t get activated for the Condor’s game tomorrow night.

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 10:12 am

Henri Jokiharju to Rockford: Maybe Chicago wants to get Rockford into the AHL playoffs. Good for Jokiharju and all of Chicago’s prospects.

Kinger_Oil.redux January 31, 2019 - 10:09 am

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
Kinger_Oil.redux,

Kyle Brodziak says hi!

– as does Tobias Reider: shining examples all of the Oil elite draft and develop strategy

* do you think that including Brodziak and Reider means we do have a good draft and develop ethos, or do you think being on the team today, after years of playing elsewhere, is a fail on the part of the organization?

godot10 January 31, 2019 - 10:09 am

OriginalPouzar:
Right now the Oilers have a 21 man roster and over the cap by apx $960K.

When Klefbom is activated, they will be a 22 man roster and still over the cap by apx $960K but its OK due to LTIR relief.

When Sekera is activated, and then assigned to Bakersfield for a conditioning stint: (a) the Oilers will have a full 23 man roster but only 22 bodies (Sekera counts on the 23 man roster while in a conditioning stint and (b) the LTIR cushion goes away and the Oilers need to shed the $960K.

The Oilers could waive and assign either Petrovic or Manning (or Benning) and save $1,050,000 on the cap and they would be compliant. Benning would likely get claimed and they’d then save his almost close to $2M (but then lose a real asset).

I would imagine if they go this route, its likely Petrovic as it seems the coach likes Manning and trusts him over Gravel.

Waiving and sending down Gravel, if he isn’t claimed, doesn’t clear enough cap. Same with Rattie (already cleared waivers).

A main issue is the Oilers would have 21 bodies and playing back to backs.

Perhaps Sekera isn’t activated and assigned until after the weekend but the Condors play Fri/Sat and then next Fri/Sat.

The conditioning stint in a max of 3 games subject to filing an application to extend with the league.

BornInAGretzkyJersey January 31, 2019 - 10:04 am

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Kyle Brodziak says hi!

texmex January 31, 2019 - 10:04 am

ArmchairGM,

I’m just pulling your leg. I think I predicted 11 goals for Yakety Yak, but 84pts for the Oilers. Yak has blown me out of the water, hopefully the Oil do as well.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 9:59 am

texmex:
ArmchairGM,

What was your prediction for Oilers points total? Wasn’t the yak thing the tie-breaker in the event of a tie? ;p

Yes, it was. And no, the tie-breaker won’t be needed for my 97-point prediction. Unless, of course, McDavid goes supernova again and the team finishes 23-7-2.

stephen sheps January 31, 2019 - 9:54 am

Professor Q: Totally called it. He had like 10 goals in 10 games in his prior KHL season, correct? Which was for a less powerhouse of a team.

ArmchairGM: How many games left?

The one thing in common here (beyond the fact that the KHL isn’t as difficult a league as the NHL) is that the kid can score when put in a position to succeed. I hope he finishes strong and has a long playoff run.

Fun fact, Nail’s dad Rail is the CEO of his hometown club now.

flyfish1168 January 31, 2019 - 9:52 am

If there is a time to buy low on a skill player Blue Jacket player Oliver Bjorkstrand would be that player

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 9:51 am

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR: Andreas Johnsson

Chia is gone, remember? We can unclench our sphincters when talking trades.

Or can we?

Kinger_Oil.redux January 31, 2019 - 9:50 am

Wilde:

I’d say Jones is better than Benning; Benning and Jones both have gotten caved in 2nd pairing minutes but Jones performed much better in 3rd pairing time

– Jones in small sample might be better than Benning depending on what you pick, but we know what we have in Benning: a legit experienced 3RHD with some tough: Jones looks good

– Trading Benning to gift Jones his slot is likely, based on Oil however.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 9:49 am

jtblack:
Refreshing to hear a coach verbalize that “this means everything to them.”

Is it Rebuild 4.0

or

Hitchmas Miracle 2.0?

ValenKen’s Day Miracle doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

texmex January 31, 2019 - 9:49 am

ArmchairGM,

Darth Tu January 31, 2019 - 9:48 am

Hold your horses there LT! I liked what I saw of young Caleb in patches, but he was also prone to some horrendous rookie mistakes that led directly to goals against. At this moment (this pains me to say) I rate Manning higher than Jones as a 3rd pair option. Add to that Gravel (yes I realise that Hitch doesn’t seem sold on him, despite the good numbers and fairly solid play) and now the return of Sekera. Granted with Sekera we don’t know what we have in him post injury, but surely he’ll be 3rd pairing level at least?

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 9:48 am

Wilde: Yamamoto

I have a deal on the table with NYR:

Yammer + 2019 2nd for Chris Kreider

What do you think?

texmex January 31, 2019 - 9:47 am

Woogie63,

He has a full no move clause this season, so no, unless he waives it of course.

Next season, it cchanges to a modified NTC, lists 15 teams he can be traded to.

At least that is my understanding.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 9:46 am

stephen sheps:
доброе утро,

it is time for the latest instalment of the weekly Yak.

In the last 3 SKA games, my adopted son has been on fire, scoring 4-1-5, bringing his point total on the year to 39GP, 20G-9A-29P. 20 goals!! 20!!!!

Clearly this is cause for celebration. I am pleased Coach Vorobyov is actually listening to me now and playing my boy on PP1 with Datsyuk and Gusev, which resulted in Nail’s 4th goal of the week and 2nd today.

Once again, 20 goals for Yak!!!!

This has been the weekly Yak

конец передачи

Nice! I believe my Hunter poll prediction was 23, so I’m feeling good right now. How many games left?

jtblack January 31, 2019 - 9:43 am

K GRETZKY has a real good opportunity in front of him. Keith loves the draft. He can almost hand select, thru trades he will orchestrate, which picks are coming his way.
.Hope he grabs assets for Talbot, Kassian and maybe more (would love to Russsell moved).

Woogie63 January 31, 2019 - 9:41 am

OriginalPouzar:
Right now the Oilers have a 21 man roster and over the cap by apx $960K.

A main issue is the Oilers would have 21 bodies and playing back to backs.

Could the Oilers waive Sekera, vs. sending him for a conditioning stint that would save the$1,050 needed and give him more than three games on the farm. If he is picked up … so be it, if he is not picked up we have more flexibility.

Not sure just exploring another option here?

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 9:41 am

It’ll be interesting to see how IGMKG threads the needle for the next few weeks. As many have pointed out, the Oilers are 3 points out of a wild card spot and 6 points out of the basement and best-Hughes odds. My guess is that we’ll have a lot more clarity by the time deadilne week rolls around, but for now I think he needs to move forward based on being a seller AND a buyer. Seems strange, but it could work. Move as many expiring contracts as possible while bringing on players who can help going forward.

OUT:

– Talbot. Encouraging conjecture above, I didn’t think he’d have that much value.
– Rieder. I don’t think they should qualify him this summer anyhow, so treat him as a UFA. If he’s available July 1st I wouldn’t be opposed to offering him a 1 x $1M deal as he’s useful in the bottom 6.
– Gravel. Decent numbers on the 3rd pair, I think he has some value to a playoff team. I like him, but he’s expendable.
– Petrovic. Right-shot defender always have some value, grab a pick and move on.
– Chiasson. This is a tough one because he’s done well here, but I think we can all agree that his PDO heater won’t continue forever and therefore we’re in a “sell high” situation here. Contenders love goal scorers, and although they’ll know its a heater he’s proved that he can cash opportunities.

There’s always a possibility that some GM will take a flyer on players with term such as Kassian, Spooner and Manning at the deadline, but it’s more difficult to engineer a deal like this. Spooner with $1M retained + Gravel for a couple of late picks? Could happen, but less likely.

IN:

– Backup goalie. We could test-drive a pending UFA for very little cost – Mrazek, Nilsson and Kinkaid come to mind. Or have someone like Dell (SJS) or Copley (WAS) coming back as part of a Talbot trade.
– Help today and in the future , i.e. players with term. Names like Toffoli and Kreider have been mentioned here. I would be comfortable with Yamamoto + 2nd going to NYR for Kreider, something less for Toffoli.
– Consider a reclemation project. Ok, I know it seems like the Oilers have enough of these already, but a guy like Zacha (NJ) is intriguing to me. I think he’s going to be a winger at this level, but NJ insists on playing him at 3C. Dal Colle and E. Svechnikov might qualify here, too. Just don’t overpay for players in this category, that’s all.
– Mid-level rentals. I think Willis did a good job sussing out these players: Panik, Jensen, Hagelin types that could move the needle but won’t cost much.

Should be an interesting month ahead.

texmex January 31, 2019 - 9:40 am

Coiler,

Agree on Dreger. He just likes to talk. Bobby Mac and Friedman are the only 2 I pay attention to.

We should keep track of how many “rumors” the insiders get correct.

jtblack January 31, 2019 - 9:40 am

IMO: Keys to success

1 – OSCAR BACK
2 – CHIASSON off line 1
3 – MIKKO has to be above average (especially if Talbot is moved)
4 – LUCIC // KHAIRA have to contribute offensively

FINGERS CROSSED

OilSafety January 31, 2019 - 9:39 am

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR,

Thats a return I would take on Kassian alone. Seems a bit thin for a combo.

jtblack January 31, 2019 - 9:37 am

Refreshing to hear a coach verbalize that “this means everything to them.”

Is it Rebuild 4.0

or

Hitchmas Miracle 2.0?

Coiler January 31, 2019 - 9:33 am

I’ve never found Dreger to be terribly accurate as an ‘insider’. TSN pumps him up that way but the only guy I really trust from that side is Bob McKenzie.

As far as that trade (Talbot to Washington) is concerned, I would do it as they’ve got nothing to lose at this point. Clear the decks, shuffle the chairs, use whatever cliche you want, but the vast majority of players on this team aren’t difference makers. I had high hopes for Talbot but when you’ve got a brutal defence in front of you you can only do so much (See Carey Price last year).

Any assets that are brought in (draft picks preferably), be they a 2nd to 5th are still assets. This is where the scouts earn their keep and find the gems out there.

Professor Q January 31, 2019 - 9:31 am

stephen sheps:
доброе утро,

it is time for the latest instalment of the weekly Yak.

Once again, 20 goals for Yak!!!!

This has been the weekly Yak

конец передачи

Wilde January 31, 2019 - 9:29 am

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– The thing about trading Benning now is that he’s a better then all of Gravel, Petro, Manning, Jones, or even Bouchard next year, or Persson or whatever shiny D prospect.

Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR January 31, 2019 - 9:29 am

OilSafety:
I listened to Dreger say Talbot wasn’t going to bring much and Neilson speculate a 3rd rounder. I messaged into the show early this morning ‘how about the Oilers combine some assets to maximize value, a 2 for 1….. a 3 for 1?……. Lowetide lurches out of bed like the Undertaker.’

Alas, my quip didn’t make the air.

Now, I know Alan’s probably awake and blog prepping long before I sent this message at 7am, but the visual for me was perfect.

3 for 1…. Talbot, Kassian and a 2020 2nd rounder… get it done. (I have no idea for who)

Andreas Johnsson

stephen sheps January 31, 2019 - 9:27 am

доброе утро,

it is time for the latest instalment of the weekly Yak.

Once again, 20 goals for Yak!!!!

This has been the weekly Yak

конец передачи

tileguy January 31, 2019 - 9:22 am

Hitchcocks blueprint = Bobs audit, ie non existent. I predict more blender as panic will set in quickly as soon as we fall behind in the game.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 9:22 am

Nice comments by Hitch and thank you LT for posting the Terry Jones link.

At the same time, I’ve heard Hitch say alot of things over the last few months that didn’t line up with his actual actions…..

Kinger_Oil.redux January 31, 2019 - 9:21 am

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
Kinger_Oil.redux,

“Trading bona-fide players to gift shiny things roster spots is Oil development special. It’s partly why Klef, Jar and Nurse are the only draft and developed non-1st overall picks on roster.”

Agreed!

But Leon Draisaitl says hi

(Slinks back into cave)

– ammended to top-3: thanks jerk (joking!!!)

– It really is amazing though the pattern of thinking our shiny toys are ready, putting them way high in the line-up, then they fail

– Part of it of course is that our depth stinks, these shiny things are better than the slugs on the team: its a vicious circle and the temptation always and we seem to f%ck it up more than not

106 and 106 January 31, 2019 - 9:21 am

OriginalPouzar,

Why wouldn’t CAPS keep Burakovsky for the playoffs? All in man.

106 and 106 January 31, 2019 - 9:20 am

At last year’s Feb time or deadline the goalies swapped were:

Petr Mrazek went for a 4th (conditional) and a 3rd (conditional)
Montoya went for a 4th
2 others for futures

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 9:15 am

Dreger pumping a Talbot trade.

Talbot and Lagesson for Burakovsky and Kopely- let it be so but only if Hitch will staple him to a combo of McDavid and/or Drai to see if he may be a fit in the top 6 next year and worthy of a $3.25M QO. If his struggles continue, the Oilers can not tender and let him become a UFA (I’m not worried about losing Talbot for nothing as the bet would be good – losing Lagesson for nothing would hurt a bit).

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! January 31, 2019 - 9:11 am

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Agreed!

But Leon Draisaitl says hi

Kinger_Oil.redux January 31, 2019 - 8:59 am

– Keep Benning, and when others are better than him, trade from strength,

– Because all these D might take Pool + time to be ready. Hall was traded in part because they thought Pool was ready. Be smarter. Don’t trade bona-fide NHL’ers untill the prospects are ready.

– Jones on the third pair next year is reasonable projection, but need to account for injuries

– Same thing with Russell: he’s our 5th best D if everyone is healthy (and right now he’s our 3rd)

– Trading bona-fide players to gift shiny things roster spots is Oil development special. It’s partly why Klef, Jar and Nurse are the only draft and developed non-top-3 pick on roster

OilSafety January 31, 2019 - 8:58 am

Alas, my quip didn’t make the air.

leadfarmer January 31, 2019 - 8:47 am

Prediction in offseason. Sekera will be back early February.
Looks like he will be back early February

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 8:44 am

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/Russell
Sekera/Benning

Manning (Gravel/Petrovic)

Very very nice.

Sekera was an elite second pairing (low end first paring) d-man – he could carry a second pairing and “shine a turd”.

Sure, he may be a bit less effective but I am cautiously optimistic that he is still at least a serviceable 2nd pairing d-man – having him on a third pairing is fantastic.

I have zero concern about his level of play from last year – that was expected when coming back from major knee ligament surgery. That is not the case with an achillies tear, its an easier return and he is now almost 2 years removed from the knee.

OriginalPouzar January 31, 2019 - 8:42 am

Right now the Oilers have a 21 man roster and over the cap by apx $960K.

A main issue is the Oilers would have 21 bodies and playing back to backs.

ArmchairGM January 31, 2019 - 8:40 am

“The activation of Sekera and Oscar Klefbom in the coming days will give Edmonton nine blue and that’s way too many. What’s more, Caleb Jones, who has been a better third pairing lefty than some of the roster defensemen, is in Bakersfield awaiting recall. How will Keith Gretzky solve the issue?”

Petrovic out for a pick.
Gravel out for a pick.