Game 51 2018-19: Oilers at Flyers

February through the end of the 2015-16 season, Connor McDavid scored 32, 11-25-36. The following season from February 1, he delivered 30, 13-28-41. Last year, 2017-18, he posted 33, 26-28-54. Can he drag this team into the playoffs by himself? We’re about to find out.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton brought it yesterday, there’s a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: If fast is the new big, how do the Edmonton Oilers get there in a hurry?
  • New Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how well Peter Chiarelli and Keith Gretzky restocked the Oilers with their draft work
  • New Lowetide: Finding a path to the playoffs may involve reckless use of future assets by the Oilers
  • New Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
  • Tyler Dellow: A deeper look at Connor McDavid and the Oilers’ 5-on-5 offensive changes under Ken Hitchcock
  • Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
  • Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
  • Lowetide: Caleb Jones has impressive first showing in the NHL with Oilers.
  • Tyler Dellow: Four questions that the Oilers should be asking candidates for the GM job
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: New Oilers caretaker Keith Gretzky caught between earning playoff berth and keeping future assets
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

OILERS AFTER 51

• Oilers in 2015: 20-26-5, 45 points; goal differential -22
  • Oilers in 2016: 28-15-8, 64 points; goal differential +17
  • Oilers in 2017: 23-24-4, 50 points; goal differential -26
  • Oilers in 2018: 23-24-3, 49 points; goal differential -13

Through 50 the Oilers aren’t a playoff team and they aren’t a lot better than one year ago. After 50 last season, Edmonton’s goal differential (138-161) was -23; this season, the team’s GD (141-163) is -22. My numbers above exclude empty-net goals.

OILERS IN FEBRUARY

• Oilers in February 2016: 1-0-0, two points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in February 2017: 0-1-0, 0 points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in February 2018: 0-1-1, one point; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in February 2019: 0-0-0, 0 points; goal differential —

WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY

• On the road to: Philadelphia, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Pittsburgh, Carolina, NY Islanders (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, NY Islanders, Anaheim (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 0-0-0, 0 points in 14 games

I have Edmonton stepping up this month, just a little, because Oscar Klefbom returns and I do think McDavid is about to lay down the law. We’ll see if it holds, but if the team can deliver at my predicted pace, they’ll be 30-30-4 after 64. That would mean the Oilers would need to finish something like 18, 11-6-1 to have any chance at all (41-36-5, 87 points). This team needs a 10-game winning streak.

OILERS PROJECTED LINEUP

Ken Hitchcock said yesterday he was inspired by the Flyers spreading out the offense coming out of the break, thus the lines as shown here. My take? These lines will last like a snowball in a hot place. Oscar may be in, that should help in a big way.

I haven’t thought much about the new general manager, so the idea of the next Oilers coach is a very distant bell. That said, Knoblauch is an interesting name and Bob has spoken about him many times. Knoblauch is a winner, he’s coached McDavid (in junior) so it’s possible.

CONDORS SINCE JAN 1

1. Josh Currie 14, 10-5-15
  2. Joe Gambardella 8, 9-4-13
  3. Tyler Benson 14, 1-12-13
  4. Cooper Marody 14, 3-10-13
  5. Logan Day 14, 1-11-12
  6. Ethan Bear 13, 2-8-10

A quick glance at some January Condors offers us some recall clues. I included Logan Day, because the young man is absolutely tearing up the blacktop. He’s earning an NHL deal.

If the Oilers deal Cam Talbot, it’s a lock the club will also acquire a capable backup. One minor leaguer who is pushing (Shane Starrett) will no doubt stay in Bakersfield. In his four most recent games he has stopped 112 of 118 shots, .949.

Defensive recalls probably begin with Caleb Jones, whose impressive performance with the Oilers won’t soon be forgotten. Ethan Bear is also in the mix, although he missed last night’s game and has been banged up for much of the season.

Gambardella didn’t get a lot done in Edmonton but has been on fire in Bakersfield. I wouldn’t discount the possibility of a recall. Benson and Marody would also be in the mix and Josh Currie has been a solid contributor to the Condors for years. A recall late in the year would seem possible.

KEITH GRETZKY’S ASSETS OUT

It’s a long list because Edmonton could be both buyer and seller.

1. Cam Talbot
  2. Alex Petrovic
  3. Alex Chiasson
  4. Tobias Rieder
  5. 2019 first-round pick
  6. 2019 second-round pick
  7. Brandon Manning
  8. Matt Benning
  9. Ryan Spooner
  10. Evan Bouchard
  11. Jujhar Khaira
  12. Ethan Bear

Some of those names will be summer options, but if the Oilers both buy and sell we could see plenty of movement with the interim general manager. Which is weird, because there’s already a lot on this roster (Manning, Koskinen) for next year and beyond that one would assume the new general manager would be charged with doing.

390 Responses to "Game 51 2018-19: Oilers at Flyers"

Newer Comments »
  1. Glovjuice says:

Wait for the utterly massive riff at 1:58 by Sigur Ros. The biggest most powerful riff of all time. Stunning. Connor will have to embody this riff to get the mighty Oil to the playoffs.

2. Todd Macallan says:

I’ve been wondering about Knoblauch for awhile now, exciting it’s not just me

3. frjohnk says:

7th place in the west is Dallas and they are on pace for 88 points
    8th place is Colorado and they are on pace for 85 points.
    4 teams between those two and then the Oilers who are on pace for 80 points.

Crazy as it sounds, but the Oilers could be as lousy in the last part of the season as the start of the season but with an added 3 game winning streak and make the playoffs.

88 points could get them into the playoffs. The Oilers would have to go 18-11-3 in the last 32 games

90 points? They would have to go 18-9-5.

There are 7 teams going to battle for 2 spots. The two teams that get hot or at least are hotter than the other 5 teams get in. Why not the Oilers?

4. Admiral Ackbar says:

What a week does… this team going 18-9-5 would be shocking. I’d be delighted, but I’m not hopeful in the least. Oilers-PTSD, it’s a thing.

5. OilersFuture says:

frjohnk: Why not the Oilers?

Because Oilers ….

6. Woogie63 says:

No to Knoblauch – this is the “we are the smartest man in the room pick” again.

Yes to Kirk Muller – has been a head coach, worked with Hitch in St. Louis, so some continuity of systems for the players, is getting a lot out the Montréal roster, Is coaching in a Canadian city with all the scrutiny that brings. Experienced enough not to be learning on the job and Young enough to be the HC for the foreseeable term. Excellent communicator.

7. texmex says:

OilersFuture,

Ding ding ding ding ding. WINNER

8. frjohnk says:

Now for the Oilers to hit 88 points, they will have to get 39 points in the last 32 games, which is a 1.22 point pace.
    There are 9 teams who have hit this pace up until now.

90 points, is a 1.28 point pace. There 4 teams who have done this. TB, Flames, Jets and Islanders, yes those Islanders.

94 points, is a 1.41 point pace. Only TB is above that pace with a 1.53 point pace this year.

Thank goodness the bar to get into the 8th playoff spot is lower than previous years, otherwise the Oilers would have no chance for playoffs.

9. frjohnk says:

OilersFuture: Because Oilers ….

I just had a Bobby Nics burger.

I think there is something in the burger.

I have a headache……

10. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m not hopeful, for today or the rest of the season.

11. tileguy says:

I guess this weekend sets the tone. Couple losses and the frigid weather will be here for another 3 months, couple wins and its all on, split the games and let the mediocrity reign.

12. Munny says:

frjohnk: I just had a Bobby Nics burger.

I think there is something in the burger.

I have a headache……

It’s the OEG, I mean MSG.

13. McNuge93 says:

frjohnk: Well, I honestly believe if the Oilers can fix the culture on the team and get some leadership pieces to help Connor lead this team, they have a good chance.

I just had a Bobby Nics burger.

I think there is something in the burger.

I have a headache……

I think it’s easier than that. Just have to change their water source.

14. Dustylegnd says:

I just had a Bobby Nics burger.

I think there is something in the burger.

I have a headache……

Ha Ha that is Awesome

15. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Western Conference Playoff Standings using Points Percentage shown as games over/under fake Bettman .500

Pacific

STL at CBJ (CBJ -140)
    DAL at NSH (NSH -180)
    CHI at MIN (MIIN -180)
    VAN at COL (COL -170)
    ARI at SJS (SJS -220)
    EDM at PHI (PHI -150)

PHI is playing well, EDM hasn’t played in 2 weeks and its an afternoon game.

Ok then.

GOILERS!!!!

*clapclap*

16. Professor Q says:

Munny: It’s the OEG, I mean MSG.

Yeah, you know me…

17. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: PHI is playing well, EDM hasn’t played in 2 weeks and its an afternoon game.

Carter Hart has started out well for the Flyers. 8-5-1. .922 save %
    Only 20 years old.

18. flyfish1168 says:

Woogie63:
    No to Knoblauch – this is the “we are the smartest man in the room pick” again.

Yes to Kirk Muller – has been a head coach, worked with Hitch in St. Louis, so some continuity of systems for the players, is getting a lot out the Montréal roster, Is coaching in a Canadian city with all the scrutiny that brings.Experienced enough not to be learning on the job and Young enough to be the HC for the foreseeable term.Excellent communicator.

I agree. We need someone that has coached a Canadian team with experience. alain vigneault is another coach we should consider.

19. frjohnk says:

John Shannon
    ‏Verified account @JSportsnet
    9m9 minutes ago

Oscar Klefbom will not play today for Edmonton. Kevin Gravel is in.

20. --hudson-- says:

frjohnk: Carter Hart has started out well for the Flyers.8-5-1..922 save %
    Only 20 years old.

Too bad the Oilers didn’t recall Stuart Skinner for this mornings game. ;). Replay last years playoff matchup.

John Shannon tweeted Klefbom is out, Gravel in.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Speculation of a Chiasson extension led me to looking at this:

Chiasson 5v5 pts/60
    October 3.92
    November 1.11
    December 1.85
    January 0.89

To date 1.50
    From Nov 1- Today 1.30

Not sure I’d resign him.

Probably best to sell him off and see if he’s available next July 20th

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Oh, right, McDavid has gone on heaters to end the season each and every year – that’s something fun to look forward to – Go Oilers!

23. npanciroli says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Speculation of a Chiasson extension led me to looking at this:

Chiasson 5v5 pts/60
    October 3.92
    November 1.11
    December 1.85
    January 0.89

To date 1.50
    From Nov 1- Today 1.30

Not sure I’d resign him.

Probably best to sell him off and see if he’s available next July 20th

In situations like this all I can hope is the Oilers have a smart GM at the helm soon. Chia would for sure overpay for Chiasson. Have some concerns about Keith also.

24. Dicky94 says:

So excited for the game today! That was a nice break, but way too long. If the Oilers do find a new head coach, I’m sure Hitch will stay with the organization on some level POHO?
    It’s going to be some tough sledding for the Oilers to make the playoffs but I believe they can. Playoffs start today!! LETS GO OILERS!!!!!!!!

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Jesse caved and Rattie with the 1RW push – probably good news for Jesse and bad new for Rattie as the player that starts the game at 1RW is generally Caved before the 10 minute mark, sometimes by the 5 minute mark.

26. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Speculation of a Chiasson extension led me to looking at this:

Chiasson 5v5 pts/60
    October 3.92
    November 1.11
    December 1.85
    January 0.89

To date 1.50
    From Nov 1- Today 1.30

Not sure I’d resign him.

Probably best to sell him off and see if he’s available next July 20th

He has been a nice pickup, but history shows he is mid 6 winger at best. 4th liner at other times.

He is more John Druce than he is a top 6 winger. Hopefully Oilers know stuff about heaters and PDO.

27. Jethro Tull says:

frjohnk:
    John Shannon
    ‏Verified account @JSportsnet
    9m9 minutes ago

Oscar Klefbom will not play today for Edmonton.Kevin Gravel is in.

This team’s communication is terrible. They truly are the Black Knight.

“Nothing’s wrong with Klefbom.”

“He was slashed in practice and was having his fingers looked at.”

“No he wasn’t.”

“Yes he was.”

“”Oh that? Mere flesh wound. He’ll be on the trip.”

28. OriginalPouzar says:

I didn’t see the third period last night but through the first two Starrett was solid but didn’t need to be spectacular. The Condors absolutely took over the game last night in the 2nd period. He has had some very very good games recently.

Through 2 Ryan Spooner was the best player on the ice. He had his goal and assist but was material in the Joe G. PP goal – he didn’t get an assist but the PP ran through him on the side boards and he did a great job an opened up the ice with a quick cross ice pass to Gust who went back to Jones for the shot that was tipped.

Yamamoto started to drive the play in the second period – created about 4 scoring chances.

Quiet game (well first two periods) by Benson and Marody.

Condors play again tonight at 7 mountain – I would think Skinner gets the start against the last place Ontario team but maybe not as the Condors don’t play until next Friday after tonight.

29. tileguy says:

So, if Ratties gets 3 points today, but is on the wrong side of his man for a goal against, and coach nails his pants to the bench in the third, who will make the decision to send him down.

30. Oil2Oilers says:

Glovjuice:

31. Psyche says:

Woodguy v2.0,

So, this likely means the Oilers braintrust will sign him to a 3 yrs x $3 million per in the near future. 😉

32. Oil2Oilers says:

frjohnk:
    John Shannon
    ‏Verified account @JSportsnet
    9m9 minutes ago

Oscar Klefbom will not play today for Edmonton.Kevin Gravel is in.

Yeah the Oilers haven’t given up on Gravel, oh wait…

33. OriginalPouzar says:

So far no Klefbom activation (at least not officially).

The team only has 22 on the roster right now so no corresponding move has to be made – it could happen right before the game.

34. Psyche says:

I noticed the Drake picked up 3 pts for the Hawks last night. I wonder what Manning is doing this afternoon?

35. Munny says:

I decided to go into to work and slay some dragons this morning, so I won’t be seeing the game live.

If you could all stare angrily at the screen for me, that would be appreciated.

36. Jaxon says:

Not a fan of the current lineup.

I’d still like to see:
    Spooner – McDavid – Puljujarvi
    Khaira – Draisaitl – Chiasson
    Lucic – Nugenet-Hopkins – Rattie
    Rieder – Brodziak – Kassian

But Spooner hasn’t been called back up… yet.

Post Deadline maybe we see something like:
    Benson – McDavid – Puljujarvi
    Khaira – Draisaitl – Chiasson
    Lucic – Nugent-Hopkins – Yamamoto
    Cave – Brodziak – Marody or Cave – Marody – Rattie

37. npanciroli says:

Psyche,

-3.

38. dessert1111 says:

I don’t understand why they aren’t trying the RNH Khaira JP line again. Didn’t the coach say he liked it before? All it would take is switching Kassian and JP, a pretty logical switch IMO based on the linemates.

I don’t like Lucic on the top line but to be fair there are like no good options on this roster currently.

39. smellyglove says:

Did Chiarelli really advance EDM scouting and drafting?

Not really, or at least there are mixed results. A good article from Willis, “But from a scouting perspective, there’s not much there to either praise or condemn the outgoing general manager. His record rests on everything else he did, which is why he’s unemployed today.”

40. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Speculation of a Chiasson extension led me to looking at this:

Chiasson 5v5 pts/60
    October 3.92
    November 1.11
    December 1.85
    January 0.89

To date 1.50
    From Nov 1- Today 1.30

Not sure I’d resign him.

Probably best to sell him off and see if he’s available next July 20th

Chiasson is too slow to do much other than hang around the net waiting for his linemates to set him up, and bobble the puck if he can’t take a shot. He has a nice shot, that’s it.

This is one of my least favourite things when lesser guys play with top skill, contributing little of the hard work and becoming the guy getting set up. Only Ovi and Laine types are good enough to be that one dimensional. Use Khaira if they can’t get Ehlers or Stone, at least he helps in the corners and can handle the puck and skate at an NHL level.

The complimentary players on the top 2 lines should be the guys digging and backchecking their butts off, not Connor Nuge and Leon dragging them around exhausting themselves and getting banged up playing the boards with little help.

The new GM has to rid the team of passengers, for it to play at a higher level. ACs been a PTO fourth liner everywhere else lately hasn’t he?

I’d rather see rookies and youth with actual ability getting at bats, the puck is still going the wrong direction with guys like Chiasson, Rattie and Caggiula so there’s no loss of defensive play to worry about, and things might actually improve as the rookies gain experience.

It’s a big mistake Katz is making, the pressure to make the playoffs is leading to the staff thinking short term and not laying ground work. Katz allowed the sunk cost of this season, letting Burgers keep a GM that couldn’t make helpful trades, loaded up cap on useless players with term, and doing nothing last summer. Burgers should have stepped in before the season on his quick hires.

* I hope Katz isn’t so cash strapped with all of his house ventures that the playoff revenue is a necessity for him. This season is ultimately is his mess, wear it.

41. npanciroli says:

smellyglove,

The amateur scouting and drafting has been much improved the last couple of years IMO. If the new GM comes in and leaves amateur scouting and completely overhauls the pro side I would be happy.

42. smellyglove says:

Psyche:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Don’t forget the NMC for Chiasson.

So re-entry waivers aren’t a thing anymore? I was thinking about a Spooner recall shedding cap, but then I find out that provision is not part of the current CBA. Damn!

There’s an article today in The Athletic (I think) about Arizona potentially making the playoffs, despite suffering extremely high (highest?) man games lost to injury. The Coyotes are ahead of the Oilers in the standings. The Oilers have Connor McDavid, spend to the cap, and a decade of the highest picks. Sigh.

43. smellyglove says:

npanciroli:
    smellyglove,

How do you figure?

44. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965:
    I’m not hopeful, for today or the rest of the season.

Go Oilers!

45. ArmchairGM says:

Munny:

If you could all stare angrily at the screen for me, that would be appreciated.

Haha, I’m on a ski-cation, so stare doubly hard!

46. Dustylegnd says:

Jethro Tull: This team’s communication is terrible. They truly are the Black Knight.

“Nothing’s wrong with Klefbom.”

“He was slashed in practice and was having his fingers looked at.”

“No he wasn’t.”

“Yes he was.”

“”Oh that? Mere flesh wound. He’ll be on the trip.”

The Flyers are just a harmless little bunny……”one rabbit stew coming up”

47. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk:
    John Shannon
    ‏Verified account @JSportsnet
    9m9 minutes ago

Oscar Klefbom will not play today for Edmonton.Kevin Gravel is in.

Really nice to see Gravel get back in the lineup – I feel he’s pretty darn solid back there – lower event than a guy like Manning.

48. Andy Dufresne says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Speculation of a Chiasson extension led me to looking at this:

Chiasson 5v5 pts/60
    October 3.92
    November 1.11
    December 1.85
    January 0.89

To date 1.50
    From Nov 1- Today 1.30

Not sure I’d resign him.

Probably best to sell him off and see if he’s available next July 20th

Just dont think these things should happen in a vacuum.

All forwards with any offensive accumen go on heaters at some pont in the season (except Reider haha). Just dont think we should (or can afford, given the current roster) to diminish/marginalize Chaissons value based on a heater. It is reasonable to assess and recognize that his numbers are boosted by McDavid.

But a a 1.5 player, who actually looks ok at both ends of the ice, who has scored 17 goals in 41 games, and at a cap hit of $650K is by any objective measure, of significant value, especially to a team like the Oilers who suffer from extreme lack of secondary scoring.

Somtimes I think we view this guy as over the hill partly because we got him on a PTO. The guy just turned 28 in October.

Back to the vaccum part. IMO the determination to move a player like this is fully contingent apon the return (I get that you know that). But more to the point, a player like Chiasson has more value to the Oilers (given the factors listed above) then he would to other teams at the dealine.

I honestly cant understand how $2m Tobias Reider at 36-0-9-9 -4 is ANYWHERE near the value of $650k 41-17-7-24 +6 Chaisson TO THE OILERS.

If he’s willing, I sign him up for another year at $650 to $800K.

Get good players keep good players. No agism or PTOism. The guys record ss very consistent at better than 10-15-25 point player for his whole career. Without McDavid. Even as a bottom six player.

IMO, one of those Oilers organizational attributes that you so eloquently orated on recently, also includes letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Should Chaisson be part of the roster three years from now? Almost certainly not. But we need to maintain a reasonable amount of roster stability during this next rebuild/retool/reload.

No critisism here. Just a different viewpoint.

49. leadfarmer says:

How many afternoon games is the NHL going to make Philly play

50. OriginalPouzar says:

Its interesting, I see alot of suggestions that, if Hitch isn’t the coach next year, he could/should stay on in some sort of management role, even POHO (and some GM suggestions).

Correct me if I’m wrong but Hitch has never been in hockey management at the pro level – he’s a coach not a manager and I’m not sure one skillset translates to the others. The one benefit is his huge network of connections but, to me, that’s more of a consultant/advisory type position.

As an aside, from what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think I want him back as the coach next year.

Maybe with a full training camp, etc. he can implement his systems better but I haven’t seen it work this year and, in fact, I disagree with so much that he does (of course, he knows infinitely more than me but, still).

51. Ice Sage says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not hopeful either but I’m still excited as heck to watch the team play and, no matter what happens in the game today, even if the suck like they do, I will be right back in front of that TV tomorrow at noon.

Go Oilers!

Same here – just gonna enjoy some meaningless hockey and casually opine about the next phase of this interminable saga…

52. npanciroli says:

smellyglove,

Lots of positive arrows on deeper picks, AHL team with rookies leading the way. Picks that are within the consensus and going for skill more often. I mean it is night and day from 3+ years ago.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Psyche:

Yes, a goal and two secondary assists bringing his point total as a Hawk to…. 3 at 5 on 5.

Of course, his possession metrics are all negative and his more common linemates – Kane and Toews and 60% offensive zone starts……

54. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:

Mentioned yesterday. It will be intersting to see if there are any significant roster changes given that Hitch is somewhat free of having to please his GM. Used the examples of JP and perhaps playing Gravel over Manning.

Now see that JP is on the 4th line and Gravel is in. Spooner is in the AHL. Malone is up. MALONE!?! Are these all Hitch decisions?

Is this (and other moves) how Hitch actually saw things all along??

ANOTHER example: Hitch since day one said (and I paraphrase) ” My job is, and I know I can do it, is to get these guys playing FOR each other instead of WITH each other” AND BOOM once the GM is fired, Hitch goes to a balanced lineup, The big three centers on 3 different lines, etc.

Is this Hitches way of saying “Youve GOT to play FOR each other! Youve got to play as a team! No more relying on two or three guys to carry the load. Time to step up!” “NOBODY believes in you guys! The ONLY people who believe in you ARE THE PEOPLE IN THIS ROOM! Now go out there and prove them all wrong!”

The gauntlet has been has been thrown!

55. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert1111:

Lets not forget, from everything we’ve seen, the lines deployed to start the game are unlikely to be the lines deployed by the 10 minute mark.

56. CapeBretonOilers says:

Munny,

done and done LOL

57. leadfarmer says:

I could see Hitch as GM. He would just turn over the roster for every game

58. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: .Hopefully Oilers know stuff about heaters and PDO.

No sir, they do not.

Part of Oilers Culture is the firm belief that everything happens because someone is trying hard or not trying enough.

59. Biggus Dickus says:

Andy Dufresne: I get your point and its reasonable analysis. And I get that you say “not sure” which is also reasonable.

Just dont think these things should happen in a vacuum.

All forwards with any offensive accumen go on heaters at some pont in the season (except Reider haha). Just dont think we should (or can afford, given the current roster) to diminish his value based on a heater. It is reasonable to assess and recognize that his numbers are boosted by McDavid.

I honestly cant understand how $2m Tobias Reider at 36-0-9-9-4 is ANYWHERE near the value of $650k41-17-7-24+6Chaisson TO THE OILERS.

If he’s willing, I sign him up for another year at $650 to $800K.

No critisism here. Just a different viewpoint.

60. Glovjuice says:

Oil2Oilers: Sigur Ros is able to produce a full orchestral sound by having a band full of exemplary musicians. McDavid is definitely capable of hitting the big notes, and rif like the best of them, but as a one man band the wall of sound is a bit tinny to my ear.

Very nice characterization of both situations through metaphorical juxtaposition. Nice.

61. SwedishPoster says:

It starts tonight. 32 straight. I can feel it!

62. McSorley33 says:

Sell Chiasson.

Few times have we ever sold high on on asset…….let’s try it, just once.

You never know, we may find we like selling high.

Hell, we can maybe resign him in the summer if the money is right.

63. Andy Dufresne says:

dessert1111: I don’t understand why they aren’t trying the RNH Khaira JP line again. Didn’t the coach say he liked it before?

Was he saying it to appease Chiarelli?

Is this an indication that Chia influenced BOTH TMac and Hitch to play JP further up the lineup than they wanted to?

64. Westchester Oil says:

Logan Day, another of the ’94 group, seems to be a nice late bloomer. His NHLE has to be close to 25. Not sure how much PP time he is getting.

65. Biggus Dickus says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m not in for him as GM, but I could see that being something they’re thinking. Hitch is the kind of experienced individual companies bend over backward to get as an advisor. If it were me, I’d hire him to be a set of eyes at Oil Kings home games so he could chime in on whl talent. Plus I’d have him around to watch film on other nhl teams, critquing systems, advising the coaching staff, and identifying players of interest. Basically a jack of all trades who has a pulse on every aspect of the organization. The problem is that the organization is rotten from the tippy top.

66. leadfarmer says:

How to lose a game by Ol Dusty Relic
    Milan Lucic and Rattie with Mcdavid is a good entry

67. Biggus Dickus says:

McSorley33:
    Sell Chiasson.

Few times have we ever sold high on on asset…….let’s try it, just once.

You never know, we may find we like selling high.

Hell, we can maybe resign him in the summer if the money is right.

Let’s wait a year, so we can be sure october was an anomoly.

68. Andy Dufresne says:

Biggus Dickus: Past performance is a key indicator. A short heater after years playing at an established level is why we walked into the season with Ty Rattie at1RW, and no cover.

Is he getting boosted by McDavid yes. Did he have a signifcant heater in this season yes. Is his PDO high yes. But all those factors have taken a consistent 10-15-25 guy to look like a 25-15-40 guy WHICH HE IS NOT.

BUT a 10-15-25 guy at $650k is GOLDEN on this Oilers roster. FORGET THE HEATER AND THE PDO……even without them he is a top 8 scorer on the team at $650k.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Gravel playing with Larsson – going to get some heavy minutes after sitting for 5 games (plus a 10 day break).

Coach wants to keep Nurse/Russell together.

High danger chance for Drai early – big save.

Oilers with tons of pressure early – Drai line and then Nuge line both with great shifts.

Nuge then takes a goalie interference penalty.

Psyche:

Drake was on for 3 goals for, and two goals against, playing with Kane and Toews. New Drake. Same as the old Drake. A high event “parasite” feasting on elite players.

On the first goal against, he screened the goaltender and bailed on blocking the shot. On the second goal against, he was still wandering around somewhere in centre ice many many seconds after the Sabres had possession below the dots.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid on the 2nd unit PK with Khaira – I guess Hitch is going to lean on the “big three” as he says.

Flyers score.

72. leadfarmer says:

What is with this team and not tying up sticks

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Ughhh, Brandon Manning with a bad puck retrieval and the Flyers get pressure. Come on Brandon.

74. --hudson-- says:

You just knew the first shot against was going to be a 10 bell chance.

Otherwise team looks engaged

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers PP looks fantastic – everything but score.

Boys looks very good early.

76. Dicky94 says:

I like how they’re going to the net today.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Westchester Oil:

He is getting a ton of PP time – just as much if not more than Bear.

I can say from watching quite a bit of the Condors – his play away from the puck is quite poor and I don’t think Oiler fans should think of him as a real NHL option in the future.

With that said, he is likely earning himself an NHL contract in the spring (as opposed to an AHL only deal that he’s currently on).

78. Réal Goudenyéu says:

1st shot goes in on Talbot? Is that what happened?

79. Johnny Larue says:

NHL reffing is so inconsistent pretty lame call on Nuge and then on the PP McDavid gets cross checked hard in the numbers right in front of the ref and nothing.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Beauty goal by Rattie off a nice breakout – fed by Lucic (pass was a bit in his feet but Rattie did a nice job).

81. Dicky94 says:

Woot woot!!

82. JimmyV1965 says:

Nice goal. Absolutely shitty pass by Lucic. Unbelievably bad pass. But Rattie corralled it somehow. How do you screw up an eight foot pass?

OriginalPouzar:

“A bit”? Passing the puck into your linemates skates is a “nice” breakout. More like a lucky breakout.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Puljujarvi with his skating legs today – he’s flying out there and just drew a PP.

Looks great early.

Oilers dominating play early.

85. McSorley33 says:

Is it just me or does JP look more powerful of a skater?

86. Westchester Oil says:

OriginalPouzar: He is getting a ton of PP time – just as much if not more than Bear.

Thanks for the colour on Day.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Second PP also looking really good – lots of player and puck movement and getting the puck to the net.

Hart coming up big and is the Flyers best penalty killer so far.

88. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Flashes of what Jesse can be.

89. digger50 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Props on the rant WG, I haven’t chimed in on that yet. It must have been cathartic, being on radio and all.

I don’t see Katz as an issue in this regard. He was angry last year and stepped back. He has every right to be angry at the lack of success. He needs to push and he needs accountability. That is exactly what I would do, its what most on this blog would do. Run your business properly, get results or move along.

I don’t believe he is advocating stupid moves just to make playoffs. Does not “sound” like it anyway. Hes just pushing to get better, which he should. After four years out of playoffs, hes correct to add pressure, but not “at all costs”. I think it may be worse to sit back and say “its alright,…no problem…we’ll get em next year…”

For the money he has spent, the incompetence has been unbelievable.

90. Dustylegnd says:

Great hands by Rattie, great puck battle by whoever passed to Lucic…..terrible pass by Lucic even though he had all day (no confidence) …..great skate to stick by Rattie….kid just needs a chance….I am betting Connor likes Rattie on the wing and made the decision for Hitch

91. Gerta Rauss says:

Dustylegnd: The Flyers are just a harmless little bunny……”one rabbit stew coming up”

What”s he gonna do, nibble your bum..?

92. OriginalPouzar says:

Through 11 and half minutes, this is one of the team’s best periods of the year.

Its tied at 1 but, my goodness, they are skating well and, get this, passing well, and by my eye dominating zone pressure. Lots and lots of play in the Flyer’s zone.

Great work to this point.

With Bouchard, Bear, and Berglund (and perhaps Persson) likely all on the Condors next year, why would one offer an NHL contract to Logan Day (who is poor defensively).

Are the Condors going to give power play time to Day over Bouchard?

94. DasBavaria says:

Puljujarvi looks like he ate his Wheeties this morning.

95. Psyche says:

godot10: New Drake.Same as the old Drake. A high event “parasite” feasting on elite players.

That second line is classic. Thanks Godot!

I was never a big fan of Drake. But I’m not a fan of Manning. I’m a much bigger fan of Cap Space. He would be a great add to the roster!

96. Westchester Oil says:

Shots 16-2 and we’re only tied. We could sure use a Carter Hart – who I think will be on the 2022 Olympic team if the NHL participates.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Andy Dufresne: Go back and look at Chaissons record. Its INCREDIBLEY consistent. At least 10-15-25 guy for the 4 out of 5 years prior to coming to Edmonton. Mostly as a middle six winger I assume.

He’s not getting boosted by McDavid – they’ve been very poor together overall.

He’s done most of his damage not playing with McDavid (his 5 on 5 damage).

98. Johnny Larue says:

Looks like the rest really helped the Oilers are all over the Flyers.

99. Gerta Rauss says:

wooot!

100. Johnny Larue says:

Woot McDavid 30!

101. McSorley33 says:

Rattle with a subtle beauty pass to Mc David in flight.

Even NBC is noticing Rattie

102. flea says:

Wow, what a goal! Never giving up on the play!

103. Gerta Rauss says:

should be JJ and Mama Kass with the assists

104. Professor Q says:

So, just checking the score (helping my brother with his house construction stuff).

Cam Talbot, 2 shots, 1 save.

Was it the first shot again?

105. OriginalPouzar says:

Yup, McDavid is still good.

Nice little play by Kassian to help.

Nice outlet by Khaira.

This team looks very good so far.

106. Westchester Oil says:

Nifty play by Kassian, nice touch. 97 is flying tonight.

107. Psyche says:

Elliotte Friedman
    @FriedgeHNIC
    Marincin (TOR) on waivers
    11:01 AM · Feb 2, 2019

I haven’t watched Martin since he was an Oiler. Is he worth adding in the 5-7 D slot? Would allow them to flip out a couple of those other depth D for picks before the deadline.

108. Pretendergast says:

Connor turns nothing into something every.damn.time. I believe in Connor dragging this team into the ploffs.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

Was that the best period they’ve played this year?

110. Gerta Rauss says:

strong 1st period

111. McSorley33 says:

18 shots by oilers

112. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

I would say so.

113. Johnny Larue says:

Was 1st shot but no chance for Talbot PP goal. After that all Oilers very deserving of the score in fact would have a couple more if not for Carter Hart.

114. Johnny Larue says:

Professor Q:

Cam Talbot, 2 shots, 1 save.

Was it the first shot again?

See comment above

115. leadfarmer says:

Connor looks like he put on some muscle.
    Flyers look like they are trying to break Hart like they have every goalie since Hextall
    Giving him two years experience in one

116. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:

Are the Condors going to give power play time to Day over Bouchard?

They are giving PP time to him over Bear and even Jones at times this year.

I’m not so sure Berlund is going to sign and come over any more, given the logjam, we’ll see.

Need to add Samorukov to the group as well.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

McSorley33:
    Rattle with a subtle beautypass to Mc David in flight.

Even NBC is noticing Rattie

That was Khaira and than Kass.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q:

Cam Talbot, 2 shots, 1 save.

Was it the first shot again?

Yes but it was a no-chancer on a PP.

119. npanciroli says:

That period was impressive.

120. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar: That was Khaira and than Kass.

I think he/they were referring to the play prior to the goal rush, and it was a nice little chip by Rattie

121. --hudson-- says:

Remi Elie on waivers today. No goals this year with Buffalo but briefly played with McDavid in Erie

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers start the 2nd period where they left off in the first, with more solid possession and pressure.

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers continue to come in waves – need to cash though, need that next goal.

124. McSorley33 says:

Would love for Lucic to stand in Front of the net…..

125. Gerta Rauss says:

wow

126. OriginalPouzar says:

My goodness – that may have been the best shift of the year that led to the Larsson goal.

Wow!

127. Munny says:

Good to hear, lads & ladies.

This is really the first game where the team would be playing Hitch Hockey.

Finally enough practices and tape sessions etc.

128. Rich M says:

Wow, Larsson with a goal.

129. Dicky94 says:

Rich M,

I like his rambunctious goal celebrations.

130. npanciroli says:

Maybe the team was sad watching Chiarelli fuck up over and over?

131. McSorley33 says:

Milan is painfully slow.

132. Gerta Rauss says:

Manning has had a strong game through 30 min

133. McSorley33 says:

Wow.

NBC with a viscous truth bomb about Lucic’s speed in today’s game.

You would be fired from Sportsnet for that….

134. OriginalPouzar says:

Great work by Talbot over the last few minutes and on that PK – just solid and swallowing up pucks (no rebound).

Next goal is massive and Talbot is doing his job.

135. Rebillled says:

Why didn’t Remenda tell Talbot to use his eyes earlier this year!

136. Johnny Larue says:

So Nuge accidentally bumps the goalie that’s a penalty but the Flyers purposely slash the goalie nothing

137. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder if Swedish Poster can provide some intel but I’ve noticed that, for a good stretch of games, Joel Persson’s ice time has been reduced.

He had been playing over 20 minutes per game and generally leading the team in ice time but it seems he’s ice has been cut back to about 16-17 minutes for a while now.

Is there a reason?

138. Johnny Larue says:

Brutal reffing

139. OriginalPouzar says:

Ugghhh, that was kind of an ugly goal – not quite sure how that went in.

140. npanciroli says:

2 PP goals on atrocious calls.

141. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa – Hart with a huge save there to keep the lead to one.

Nice response to the goal by the Oilers.

142. Johnny Larue says:

Reider couldn’t score if his life depended on it

143. Andy Dufresne says:

Matt Benning is SHIT!

Trade this smurf!

144. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ugghhh, that was kind of an ugly goal – not quite sure how that went in.

It went in when Benning failed to clear, then screened Talbot.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Another really solid period by the Oilers and a very entertaining period to watch.

Both Flyers’ goals were on the PP – Oilers dominating at 5 on 5 and need to stay out of the box.

Should be a great third period if the first two are any indication.

146. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

I like this version of the Oilers!

147. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:

Next goal is massive and Talbot is doing his job.

Correct. Because Benning.

151. Andy Dufresne says:

Johnny Larue:
    Reider couldn’t score if his life depended on it

Agreed.

#tradechaisson

152. Oil2Oilers says:

McDavid might convince the odd Eastern sports writer to rethink the Hart trophy winner needs to be in the playoffs thing today.

153. Dr. Taboggan says:

McDavid is so hot right now. It is like watching Bure and Forsberg, a beautiful thing!

154. Andy Dufresne says:

jp: I seem to have missed the play that lead to this. What did Benning do? (or not do?)

Failed to clear the puck while in clear possession with no one close to him tehn scrambled back to the midlle of the ice no where near the guy attacking the net or the point man whose moving in and shooting the pcuk but just in the right spot to screen Talbot.

Disclaimer: Ive not been a Benning fan for some time. I get that his numbers are OK for a third pairing dman and he is right handed, and he is tough as nails, BUT what good is a small, positionally challenged dman who adds little to no offense?

Hes good enough to have value at the deadline and clear $1.9m in cap space.

155. Paulie says:

Anyone see JP that period?

156. Rebillled says:

Capone for Oilers GM!

157. OriginalPouzar says:

Nothing nearly as bad – he tried to clear the puck on the PK with a shot around the rim and it got kept in – flyers eventually scored on that PP.

158. jp says:

Andy Dufresne,

OriginalPouzar,

Thanks. Not following the game 100% and saw him in front on the goal, but didn’t see him failing to clear.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Paulie:
    Anyone see JP that period?

He had 3 shifts, Cave had 4.

Bench being shortened it seems but Jesse was skating very well and I simply don’t understand why Hitch wouldn’t continue to roll 4 lines given it was working and they play tomorrow.

Its like he made up his mind before the game he was going to cut certain player’s ice half way through.

160. OriginalPouzar says:

Pulujarvi line gets a shift early in the third – good stuff.

Shit, they almost score.

161. OriginalPouzar says:

Ugh, PK, not good – I think its four minutes.

162. OriginalPouzar says:

Nope, just two minutes, thought I saw him signal four.

163. treevojo says:

Zack attack

164. Gerta Rauss says:

Mama Kass with the shortie

165. OriginalPouzar says:

What an absolutely beauty shortie by Kassian.

Great work on the PK in the defensive zone, great speed, great finish.

WOW!

166. Rich M says:

5-hole!

167. Gerta Rauss says:

and the 3rd PP goal for the Flyers..it’s getting exciting

168. OriginalPouzar says:

Ughh, Flyers get it right back on the same PP….

169. Andy Dufresne says:

Oil2Oilers: By the clear definition of most value to his team, its not even close.

The award should be made based IN LARGE PART on GF%. The McDavid On McDavid Off equation

By the clear definition of most valuable to his team, its not even close.

170. Ice Sage says:

Just like dat. But, thanks Zack!

171. OriginalPouzar says:

Not sure Russell needed to go cross-check the guy in the back that Nurse was covering leaving the goal-scorer wide open…

172. Dr. Taboggan says:

Oilers PK has been bad for so long. It is such a momentum killer.

173. McSorley33 says:

Really liked Gravel’s game today….

174. Dr. Taboggan says:

Also, Talbot has looked decent today but once again on track for a sub-.900 sv%.

175. Klima's_Bucket says:

Drai redefined flat-footed on that last PP goal against.

176. leadfarmer says:

How can your PK be this bad. We have so many Ricki defensemen

177. Ice Sage says:

Flyers coming on.
    Funny about the PK – looks bad at times and has single-handedly cost Oilers a few memorable games but stats say it’s middle-of-the pack. I guess we don’t remember the low-event games?

178. OriginalPouzar says:

All of a sudden it seems Puljuarvi and Co. are getting tons of ice in third – interesting.

179. OriginalPouzar says:

Damn, now Zack with a stick in the face and back to the PK.

Need this kill – come on…

180. Gerta Rauss says:

Kassian pleading his innocence but he’s gonna sit for 2 or less

181. Dicky94 says:

HUGE KILL!

182. leadfarmer says:

Kassian and Lucic the tank commanders

183. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear

184. Rebillled says:

Couldn’t decide who it was gonna be after Brodziak and Lucic.

My guess was Khaira but Kass will do.

185. OriginalPouzar says:

4 PP goals – unreal….

186. Bag of Pucks says:

Nice to see Rattie and Gravel out of the doghouse.

Benning gets way too many at bats for a very marginal Dman imo.

The 4th line might as well be in the A for the time they’re getting.

I would trade Toby Rieder for a new Zamboni and some Aurora stock.

187. McSorley33 says:

Incredible

188. Dr. Taboggan says:

6 penalties. Puke.

189. Oil2Oilers says:

Our identity players seem to think the Oilers identity is unnecessary stick infraction penalties. Is this the culture Bobbie Burgers is looking for?

190. leadfarmer says:

Once again. 4 guys in the area. No one tied up a stick

191. McSorley33 says:

We are the Edmonton Oilers

192. Dr. Taboggan says:

Well this got depressing fast.

193. Ice Sage says:

LOL Oilers, never fail to disappoint.
    What’s the opposite of an afternoon delight?

194. Dr. Taboggan says:

Lucic needs to be scratched after this game. He has looked brutal. Bad penalties and so slow.

195. Reja says:

On a positive note tabolt is moving his eyes well.

196. leadfarmer says:

Need a clean start this offseason. New GM New braintrust new coach

197. Bag of Pucks says:

Is Petrovic hurt or is Hitch just not feeling the love?

198. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Can’t wait for the lost to the hotter goalie comments…

199. flyfish1168 says:

Speciality teams the difference this afternoon

200. OriginalPouzar says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Nice to see Rattie and Gravel out of the doghouse.

Benning gets way too many at bats for a very marginal Dman imo.

The 4th line might as well be in the A for the time they’re getting.

I would trade Toby Rieder for a new Zamboni and some Aurora stock.

Jesse is getting plenty of ice in the third period.

Newer Comments »