Game 53 2018-19: Blackhawks at Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers cannot shake this playoff race no matter how hard they try. The team received several breaks on the out of town scoreboard last night, and a win this evening could put the Oildrop just one point behind eighth place Vancouver.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton brought it yesterday, there’s a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Setting the Oilers’ expected keeper list for the next GM
  • Lowetide: Entry deal AHL forwards give the Oilers an excellent trade pool.
  • Lowetide: If fast is the new big, how do the Edmonton Oilers get there in a hurry?
  • Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how well Peter Chiarelli and Keith Gretzky restocked the Oilers with their draft work
  • Lowetide: Finding a path to the playoffs may involve reckless use of future assets by the Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
  • Tyler Dellow: A deeper look at Connor McDavid and the Oilers’ 5-on-5 offensive changes under Ken Hitchcock
  • Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
  • Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
  • Lowetide: Caleb Jones has impressive first showing in the NHL with Oilers.
  • Tyler Dellow: Four questions that the Oilers should be asking candidates for the GM job
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: New Oilers caretaker Keith Gretzky caught between earning playoff berth and keeping future assets
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

OILERS AFTER 53

• Oilers in 2015: 21-27-5, 47 points; goal differential -21
  • Oilers in 2016: 28-17-8, 64 points; goal differential +12
  • Oilers in 2017: 23-26-4, 50 points; goal differential -28
  • Oilers in 2018: 23-24-5, 51 points; goal differential -15

This year’s team has a back story that won’t see the light of day unless there’s a winning streak to come. The goal differential of the 2018-19 team is superior to 2015 and 2016, but the won-loss is close. The Oilers need a heater even more than the citizens of Edmonton (I think I have the usage right).

OILERS IN FEBRUARY

• Oilers in February 2016: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -8
  • Oilers in February 2017: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -3
  • Oilers in February 2018: 1-1-1, three points; goal differential +2
  • Oilers in February 2019: 0-0-2, two points; goal differential -2

WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY

• On the road to: Philadelphia, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-2)
  • At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Pittsburgh, Carolina, NY Islanders (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, NY Islanders, Anaheim (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 0-0-2, two points in two games

There are very few “must win” games for a team like Edmonton because they enter most games as an underdog. That said, the Blackhawks are in a period of transition ala the Canucks, and the Oilers are the home team. They should win this game.

OILERS 5-ON-5 SCORING

• McDavid, Leon and Nuge are the delivery men for this team, towering over the rest of the forwards.
  • Among the second group, Khaira, Chiasson and Rattie are in a range where we can estimate them as NHL third liners.
  • If the Oilers arrive at the deadline as sellers, my guess is there might be interest in Alex Chiasson, Tobias Rieder, Jujhar Khaira, Zack Kassian, Brandon Manning, Matt Benning, Kevin Gravel, Alex Petrovic and Cam Talbot.

CONDORS FORWARDS

• Candidates for NHL auditions among Condors forwards include Joe Gambardella, Patrick Russell, Tyler Benson and Cooper Marody. Kailer Yamamoto hasn’t yet found the range in Bakersfield.

Sekera back (Oscar too) will be grand if he can play anything close to the effectiveness of his 2016-17 season. Sekera is on rehab for several days but the Oilers have to get down to the cap before then. If my math is right, an Alex Petrovic or Matt Benning trade for picks/minor leaguer/prospects gets it done.

CONDORS BLUE

• Jones has stepped up this season, don’t think there’s much doubt he’d be first man up for a recall.
  • Bear and Lagesson are fine young prospects, Stanton and Lowe veterans with NHL experience. Logan Day? He brings skill and some chaos and has earned an NHL contract.
  • Numbers via prospect-stats.com.

OSCAR

Klefbom will skate this morning and then we’ll see. One expects he’ll be less than 100 percent dreamy first time out but his ability to move the puck has been sorely missed.

KEITH GRETZKY

Including tonight, Edmonton has nine games before the deadline. Interim general manager Keith Gretzky will make his first transaction in the coming days, as the organization makes room for Andrej Sekera.

One thing we can assume: Gretzky is in fact a caretaker general manager. If he were given more leeway, I expect this Oilers team would have added a scoring winger by now. These nine games before the deadline are crucial. No rentals added means Katz and Nicholson aren’t going to allow Gretzky to get help. I’m in favor of that route, and it’s also a tell. If you’re an Oilers fan who has been screaming for a full house cleaning, you might be on the way to getting your wish.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning with lots shaking, we get started at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Daniel Nugent-Bowman, The Athletic. Keith Gretzky negotiating the rapids.
  • Jimmy Greenfield, Chicago Tribune. The Blackhawks are coming on, we’ll chat about progress, Caggiula and more.

Also working on an NBA guest, the trade deadline is Thursday at 1pm so we’ll check out the rumors. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

515 Responses to "Game 53 2018-19: Blackhawks at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Dr. Taboggan says:

Dallas Eakins to be named GM following the game.

2. turmoiled says:

All I can think of: “Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I’m just hoping we can win a game, another game!”

3. razor says:

I think I just saw a jersey on the ice after the commercial break

4. leadfarmer says:

Don’t worry guys. Hitch is going to fix everything
    I’m still laughing at all those posts

5. jtblack says:

The Believers have to ….. not be Believing much anymore.
    The Math gets tough to overcome …. especially when you are a Bad team.

6. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Did they just bleep ‘championship’?

7. Dicky94 says:

razor,

Probably Talbot’s. I’d be pissed off too.

8. jtblack says:

Beautiful outlet pass by Gravel 🤓

9. Younger Oil says:

On the bright side, Leon is on pace for a 100 point season.

10. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

leadfarmer,

As our gracious host likes to say, “horses for courses.”

11. oilersfan says:

Is Ben Scrivens available?

Victor Fasth?

Ilya Bryzgalov?

Unreal. Our two goalies allows 5 goals on 11 shots on the third period in a must win game.

How many were grade A?

Maybe they should call up Starett

Talbot played great in the first two periods then absolutely soils the sheets in the third

Koskinen barely looks like an NHL goalie and he is signed for 3 years as the starter

Chiarelli will never work in the NHL again

We are finishing bottom 3, no doubt about it

12. GMB3 says:

year 4 of Connor yet the Andy Dufresnes of the blog defended Peter Chiarelli to the bitter end.

Not too long now and we will see some more jerseys on the ice. Hopefully not a McDavid. Fans should really be throwing Bobby Nicks burgers on the ice but I don’t think we are so lucky.

13. oilinthepeg says:

This garbage about showing mercy at the end of a game like this seems ridiculous to me.
    Why wouldn’t they put on their first PP unit?!
    I guess I am just like that young coach of theirs… haha.

14. Dicky94 says:

oilersfan,

I don’t even want to win the lottery draft. That would be absolutely embarrassing to the Oilers organization and its fans. Sad sad sad.

15. Dr. Taboggan says:

Adam Larsson has had a really rough stretch of games. His complete lack of offensive instincts and inability to consistently make outlet passes really limits his game. He is great at recovering the puck but then he often just throws it away. It is frustrating to watch.

16. Gerta Rauss says:

Hitchcock had that “I’m too old for this shit” look on his face as the team was leaving the ice

17. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

GMB3,

You are correct.

I repent, sigh, that’s what you get for being a sucker I suppose.

same as it ever was.

Luckily, once MacT is renamed GM I’ll be mentally prepped to pull up the stakes.

Move over to the NFL model, cheer for players and that’s it.

18. Gerta Rauss says:

GMB3: Fans should really be throwing Bobby Nicks burgers on the ice

In this economy..?

19. Dr. Taboggan says:

Watching Gustafsson make nice outlets all night makes me sad inside.

20. Johnny skid says:

leadfarmer:
    Don’t worry guys.Hitch is going to fix everything
    I’m still laughing at all those posts

you watched this shit show and your calling out the coach.

21. LMHF#1 says:

Gerta Rauss:

He’s the one who keeps playing Russell (among other things).

#4 featured very prominently in all the meaningful GA…again.

Is no one going to call this out or do anything about it?

22. HT Joe says:

Pescador: I’m predicting bottom 5 when the smoke clears.
    That’s with two 40 goal, 100 point players

23. hags9k says:

Nadir’s Raiders Part 12.

24. Dr. Taboggan says:

LMHF#1,

I agree. Russell has been brutal lately but what are the other options? Manning? Gravel? Benning? Larsson, who has also had a rough go lately.

25. Glovjuice says:

leadfarmer:
    Don’t worry guys.Hitch is going to fix everything
    I’m still laughing at all those posts

Yup, my Hitch IQ talk is looking particularly stupid right about now.

26. oilinthepeg says:

It’s official. I just want Drai to win the scoring race. Moral victories from here on in!

sigh…
    What a disaster!

You want to know why you don’t have resilience? Because the on-ice product KNOWS how out-skilled they are and that their org pisses away talent like crazy.
    That’s what creates a lack of urgency. You hamstring your players by your garbage trades and terrible management and they won’t go to battle for you… or they will, and then realize it was never their fault because they just aren’t good enough.
    Feel so bad for Nuge, McDavid and Drai.

People love to talk about how screwed a team like the Leafs are up against the cap.
    They will be fine. They are contenders. Contenders find a way and have resilience.

Can you imagine if Drai or McD were injured. This team would be unbelievably laughable.
    And part of the issue is the systems, the coaching, the philosophy. Why do players like Rieder come here to die? Like… yes… there is something in the water. We are out-skilled for sure, but for some reason this team just finds ways to be horrible year over year.
    There are a lot of explanations.
    But…

This fanbase doesn’t deserve this……. at least not the ones at this blog. I am just so close to moving on to another team. It’s fun to support and get behind something you believe in. I don’t believe in Katz. I can’t get behind this management or ownership and I will be SHOCKED if it changes. Nothing changes here.

Getting to watch Conner every night is the only reason to be here, really. And those saying the 8 year deal is this team’s only hope are spot on.
    This team needs to start admitting how horrible the last four years have been and blow this up. I don’t know how you do that with the Koski, Manning, Spooner, Lucic, Russell contracts… pretty crazy, really… especially when you consider that it will probably be the reason we don’t resign Nuge, or other valuable players with skill who actually help the team win.

Anyways…. I think I have complained enough.

Thanks for being here in support, all…

This team makes me so angry sometimes……….
    Need to go for a walk in the cold.
    “The Oilers lost, but at least the weather is great!” HA! Amazing. This place is great.

That is all.

27. Dr. Taboggan says:

Johnny skid,

I don’t think he is calling out the coach. Merely observing that this team is so poorly constructed that one of the winningest coaches in the NHL cannot fix it.

28. LMHF#1 says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    LMHF#1,

They aren’t great options…but compared to the Ference/Russell sort of GA black hole that’s going on…worth a shot.

At a minimum not playing the guy like he can defend in the third period. He can’t.

29. Oilpower says:

So Dri Conner and nuge, on forward klef nurse Larson on D. Anyone else worth keeping?

30. jtblack says:

3 straight 3rd period leads …Vanished!

31. Oddspell says:

Dr. Taboggan,

Rieder, Brodziak came to mind.

Although two-way may overrate their offensive game. I’m not the coach, but at some point you’ve got to stop playing Connor and Leon and Ryan 20+ minutes a night, and put your trust in your other guys. They’re only human.

32. HT Joe says:

GMB3:
    Holy fuck.

I wish I could understand the mental gymnastics the Chia supporters performed to convince themselves he did a good job of building this team. 7.5 million of his assets press boxed or in the minors. What a god damn horror show.

Shameful.

Should be $13.5M but they just won’t press box Lucic, no matter what.

And seriously, screw the media members who selected Chia as a finalist for GM of the year, the season after he traded away Taylor Hall. Real perceptive.

33. OmJo says:

Stauffer going in on the coach decision (as in as he can go without getting in trouble)

34. Dicky94 says:

Stauffer not sounding too happy right now.

35. Johnny skid says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Johnny skid,

this i agree with.

36. Munny says:

jtblack:
    3 straight 3rd period leads …Vanished!

Yup.

37. GMB3 says:

HT Joe: Should be $13.5M but they just won’t press box Lucic, no matter what.

7.5m was my attempt at being kind. It’s truly incredible. Historically he has to be one of the worst GM’s in NHL history.

38. Dr. Taboggan says:

OmJo,

To pull Talbot? Or challenge the goal?

39. €√¥£€^$ says:

I’ve been thinking this since early last season, this team should trade Draisaitl & Nurse + for Teravainen, Pesce, Svechnikov, Martinook, Necas, Fleury + 2 1sts +.

Draisaitl is great with McDavid, but what percentage of his points has he scored without 97 on the ice? Nurse is putting up big points, but he is also capitalizing on the McDavid effect IMO. His next contract will be $5+ million & Pesce’s contract is for 5 more yrs at Russell money.

I’d blow this thing up, hang on to 97 of course, 93, 98, 77 & 6. I’d try to hang on to as many of the kids as possible, & but use Marody, Garmbardella & Yamamoto as trade bait.

4th in hits yay!!!! They need to build this team on speed, target players like Kreider, Athanasiou & Dzingle. Also bottom 6ers like Wood & Wagner.

This team is filled with passengers, non-scoring wingers, weak NHL defenders/puck-movers and inconsistent goaltenders. This “3 points out of a play-off spot” is a mirage. Just another version of HOPE.

This team will carry on crushing hopes and dreams the rest of this season (sorry OP). I suggest we all take a break from the big club and jump on board the Condor train (which will last only until the roster gets emptied out when they have to refill the by then depleted NHL roster in late March/early April….

40. JimmyV1965 says:

41. The Mook says:

Professor Q,

Great first book of a series!

42. GMB3 says:

€√¥£€^$:

Draisaitl is great with McDavid, but what percentage of his points has he scored without 97 on the ice.Nurse is putting up big points, but he is also capitalizing on the McDavid effect IMO.His next contract will be $5+ million & Pesce’s contract is for 5 more yrs at Russell money.

I’d blow this thing up, hang on to 97 of course, 93, 98, 77 & 6.I’d try to hang on to as many of the kids as possible, & also use Marody, Garmbardella & Yamamoto.

4th in hits yay!!!!They need to build this team on speed, target players like Kreider, Athanasiou & Dzingle.Also bottom 6ers like Wood & Wagner.

This team is filled with passengers, non-scoring wingers, weak NHL defenders/puck-movers and inconsistent goaltenders.This “3 points out of a play-off spot” is a mirage.Just another version of HOPE.

This team will carry on crushing hopes and dreams the rest of this season (sorry OP).I suggest we all take a break from the big club and jump on board the Condor train (which will last only until the roster gets emptied out when they have to refill the by then depleted NHL roster in late March/early April….

I believe you are a little hopeful on the return for Draisaitl and Nurse. Necas and Svechnikov as well as one of their top 2 defencemen? and two firsts?

43. jtblack says:

My daughter believes in Unicorns.

I cheer for the Oilers.

44. Oddspell says:

JimmyV1965,

He might be playing with skill, but it’s hard to say you’re playing on the 2nd line when you play fewer than 13 minutes a game.

45. GMB3 says:

JimmyV1965:
    I honestly don’t know who to be pissed at. The coach is gone. The GM is gone. Should I be pissed at Reider because he has no goals and he’s playing on the second line? Should I be pissed that Lucic is even on the roster? Don’t think so. This is very confounding.

Bobby Nicks I guess.

46. wood99 says:

Trade Nurse for Nylander. I don’t think he will ever be more the a number 3 or 4. I just don’t know if he has the hockey acumen. Physical talent, no question he has that, just think the brain box is not at the same level. We need help up front more than anything right now to take some pressure off are top 3.

47. GMB3 says:

wood99:

48. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

JimmyV1965,

Be mad at Rattie

LT called it, the bugger didn’t pot that McDavid feed at the end of the 2nd and it killed them haha

49. Dicky94 says:

JimmyV1965,

Always blame Chiarelli. He set this team back at least three years.

50. wood99 says:

Kyle dubas has history with nurse from Sault Sainte Marie. Also nylander is struggling right now. Only problem I see is in the salary difference.

51. Dr. Taboggan says:

Yeah let’s trade Nurse so that we can play Russell 30 minutes a night. Puke.

Then let’s trade Drai, who is on pace for 100 points, for Adam Larsson’s cousin, Steve Larsson. The trade will be one for one. Steve is not very sexy.

52. Glovjuice says:

Another game I didn’t watch – I think that’s 7 now. Anyways, that Versailles TV series is totally awesome.

53. OmJo says:

“What’s it feel like to be Connor McDavid right now?”

What’s it feel like to ask such a stupid question?

54. wood99 says:

Dr. Taboggan,

So what you saying is that you think nurse is all that and bag of chips. I respectfully disagree as I think he is overrated. Playing lots doesn’t mean you playing well. Do you think he was great tonight and if so explain to me what he does Aran elite level other then his skating. Poor passer, does not read the ice well, goes walkabout chasing the wrong man so again explain his special gifts he brings to the table

55. wood99 says:

Being a dumbass when responding really make me wonder how to take you seriously when you start being an ass making stupid trade suggestions like Adam Larssons cousin. Sure you don’t work for the Oilers ……

56. OmJo says:

Steve Larsson doesn’t exist lol.

William Nylander isn’t doing that great and has a contract we can’t fit anyway.

57. wood99 says:

GMB3,

Yes they did,but he is also 29 and for 1 more year. They will not be re-sighing gartner who makes 4.5 this year and will get a raise next year from someone. I think the could fit nurse in their salary structure,remember nurse is 6 years younger,and that counts for lots. Not as far fetched as you might think.

58. wood99 says:

OmJo,

I’m sure we could move enough salary off the roster if there was a deal to be made.

59. frjohnk says:

Half glass full – Oilers only 3 points from 8th place in the west.
    Half glass empty- Oilers only 3 points from last place in the west.

60. leadfarmer says:

GMB3: They just got a better defender for less than Nylander. Don’t see that happening

They got a better defender for one year. That’s the real difference

61. Zelepukin says:

JimmyV1965:

62. wood99 says:

Zelepukin: It’s a very deep wound, that goes back years and as time goes on, it’s hard to imagine it ever truly healing. Now we just expect it never too.

I’m blaming the zamboni drive for taking to much ice off our end resulting unit being tilted so bad in the third period 🤬

63. €√¥£€^$ says:

GMB3: I believe you are a little hopeful on the return for Draisaitl and Nurse. Necas and Svechnikov as well as one of their top 2 defencemen?and two firsts?

It’s been discussed on this blog in past years, the value of a big young top-scoring Center not even in his prime yet is extremely high & being able to acquire one is rare. Only 1 has been traded that I am aware of (not including Lindros) and that was Joe Thornton & Leon is 3 yrs younger than he was. Svechnikov might be a stretch ask, but you could get a pretty good haul from Carolina, not sure who would be a better fit as a trade partner while offloading one or two dead weight contracts at the same time….

64. HT Joe says:

JimmyV1965:

Be angry with Katz. He promised a great hockey team, and all he asked for in return was control and revenue from a brand new $600Million arena complex. Edmonton bought Katz the arena he demanded, but Katz hasn’t delivered the team he promised.

65. JimmyV1965 says:

Can someone tell me if this is even possible. We engineer a three-way trade to dump Lucic. We trade him and a pick to Team A and we retain $2 mill. Team A trades Lucic to Team B. They retain $2 mill and receive a pick from Team B. And Team B ends up with Lucic at $2 mill. Team A gets two picks for picking up $2 mill in cap. Is this possible or do we have to retain $3 mill?

66. Ribs says:

OmJo: Comrie and Purcell? Another Edmonton bashfest?

———————-

Missed the game tonight. What was up with the faceoffs? I thought Draisatl taking 25 of them seemed excessive, only to see Toews took 32! Both guys at 56% to boot!

Connor McFreakin’David with zero shots on the night? Is that right?

67. edoil1 says:

Started the day in Peace River minus 52 wind chill,drove on 100km of black ice to High Level, all day looked forward to a 60 minute hockey game to watch,what a joke this team has become ,oiler fan from WHA days.Time for a different hobby.

68. McSorley33 says:

leadfarmer,

There are still people posting about the playoffs…..the Hitch posts have
    disappeared a long time ago.

We are tied with Chicago in points. ( yes, we have a game in hand)

69. Ribs says:

hunter1909:
    I’m beginning to wonder about this team.

lol.

70. McSorley33 says:

Our last regulation win was January 14th against the freefalling Buffalo Sabres.

We have just 3 regulation wins in all of 2019

Against the vaunted Coyotes, Ducks and Sabres.

Playoffs….

71. OmJo says:

Ribs,

Thanks for that, didn’t have a chance (or desire tbh) to listen.

72. JimmyV1965 says:

wood99:

Isn’t this what we always do? Trade a young guy before he blossoms. Something like trading Petry. We will regret this for many years.

73. HT Joe says:

HT Joe,

This letter to the fans gets crazier every year. Gonna do a rebuild right the first time. Won’t sacrifice the future for short term gains. Just a little longer and the Oilers are gonna be awesome. Almost there…

74. Admiral Ackbar says:

hunter1909:
    I’m beginning to wonder about this team.

Tee hee!

75. Admiral Ackbar says:

HT Joe:
    HT Joe,

OMG this makes me want to puke. Katz is a disingenuous, pathetic, jock sniffing clown of an owner. He should be booed everywhere he goes. #bookatz #jocksniffer

76. Munny says:

The group sing-a-long that traditionally ends every Red Wine Summit:

(led of course by Bobby Nicks)

77. Admiral Ackbar says:

Can the fans fire an owner?

78. Wilde says:

leadfarmer:
    Don’t worry guys.Hitch is going to fix everything
    I’m still laughing at all those posts

Do you read anyone’s thoughts in good faith?

Or is it all just compiling memories of people’s opinions that your brain plays a one-man game of telephone with for some months until one of them (that you’ve likely misunderstood in the first place) comes to pass as inaccurate?

79. Wilde says:

wood99:

I don’t think the Leafs do that

80. Wilde says:

One thing I really want to know about (and won’t find out for years, if ever) is how the Marleau acquisition was debated within the Leafs org. Who was for it, who was against it, what were the arguments?

81. Pescador says:

frjohnk:
    Half glass full – Oilers only 3 points from 8th place in the west.
    Half glass empty- Oilers only 3 points from last place in the west.

4 pts up on 30th place,
    For now
    The glass is empty on this season & probably the next

OriginalPouzar:
    With respect to Gustafson, he turns 27 in a month and this is the first year that he has been a full time NHLer.

Absolutely we could use that level of d-man but is there any chance the Oiler fanbase wouldn’t have given up on the player 3-4 or even 5 years ago?

hunter1909:
    I hate the way Draisaitl goals sucks that same goal over and over.

You mean, like Ovechkin.

84. v4ance says:

russ99:
    Really bad idea to challenge, team needed a time out,

Can we stop blaming our defensemen and look at our shitty forwards standing around and doing nothing on defense? Defense is a team game and a wide swath of our team just isn’t interested.

2-1 Oilers

While under some forecheck pressure, Russell has full control and makes a weak attempt to pass up the boards to Chiasson that is intercepted. Oilers never regain possession. Goal

2-2

Nurse Russell on a 2 on 2. Don’t hold the line and back in all the way to allow Strome to take wrister from top of circle. Goal.

3-2 Chi

Anisimov takes hard shot off Talbot’s chest thru Larsson’s screen that falls to Klefbom. Kane lifts Klefbom’s stick while there is goalie interference. Horribly called goal.

4-2 CHI

Rattie and Russell attempt to defend a fast break against Toews and Cagguila. Rattie gets beat by Toews outside so it’s a 2 on1. Russell can’t stop the pass to Cagguila does a spinarama then falls on his ass as Toews skates right around him. Rattie had Caggulia right up to the front of the net but he and everyone else was puck watching as Cagguila drifted back to slot. Goal

5-2 CHI

Seabrook makes an aerial pass to Kahun past Larsson that was almost undefendable. Kahun makes a perfect deflection off the post and in. Goal

6-2 CHI

Seems to me Russell and the rest of the defence are plenty to blame for the goals against. But he’s your favorite so you’ll never openly criticize him no matter how shitty he plays.

leadfarmer:
    There’s been a lot of horrible decisions made by Chia,
    But signing Mcdavid and Drai to 8 year contracts were not them even if he did cave to Drais demands
    Can’t wait to here about the Mcdavid bump that Drai gets even though many players can’t piss a drop with Mcdavid

Draisaitl’s contract is a screaming bargain in year 2. A few of us defended it all along.

86. Wilde says:

v4ance:

That Rattie play was a lot like the play that 98 messed up on (that he beats himself up over; as stated in that Finnish interview) except he came close to intercepting the pass whereas Rattie just straight up puck watched.

Between that and the double giveaway Lucic shift (in which he also let a Hawk beat him on the backcheck and if the puck carrier had any offensive awareness it would have needed a terrific save to keep out of the net) I thought about what would happen if Puljujärvi made any turnovers or checking errors of that magnitude in result. Probably benched for the game and on the fourth line for the next 5.

Gerta Rauss:

Hitchcock is playing McDavid with Lucic and Rattie. That is evidence of senility.

Man systems’ coaches just piss me off. McLellan and Hitchcock are gifted a generational player, and are clueless how to use him. Yes, the roster is bad, but still much better than what Krueger and Nelson had.

Fire Nicholson. Hire Krueger to replace him. He has run a premier league team.

wood99:
    Dr. Taboggan,

Russell is a horrible defenseman. The problem with Nurse is mainly Russell.

Ribs: They took it pretty easy on the ol’ City Of Champions. Comrie would probably have his allowance taken away if he spoke too disparagingly of his families home town.

———————-

Connor McFreakin’David with zero shots on the night? Is that right?

McDavid was playing with Lucic and Rattie. A boat anchor and an AHL tweener, mostly against Toews and Kane. Okay Caggiula saws off Rattie. They are both bad. But McDavid was taking on Kane and Toews with Lucic.

That is supposed to be an NHL coach behind the Oilers bench.

90. Pescador says:

Wilde: Do you read anyone’s thoughts in good faith?

And besides most of that stuff was said in jest,
    Sure the team is playing awful but I still say Hitch did a great job on my Christmas lights

91. leadfarmer says:

Wilde: Do you read anyone’s thoughts in good faith?

92. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10: McDavid was playing with Lucic and Rattie.A boat anchor and an AHL tweener, mostly against Toews and Kane.Okay Caggiula saws off Rattie.They are both bad.But McDavid was taking on Kane and Toews with Lucic.

That is supposed to be an NHL coach behind the Oilers bench.

Does it really matter what wingers he plays with? They all suck. You might prefer someone else, but it’s simply a minor difference in the degree of suckiness.

93. v4ance says:

leadfarmer: You must’ve missed the weeks worth of Hitchis so dreamy posts.Hitch can’t do anything wrong and TMac was horrible while Hitch was doing things that drove people mad about TMac even more.
    I read everyone’s post in good faith.I choose to make my own opinion and not be a blind sheep

Ahhh! You must be new to these parts. Unfamiliar with “hyperbole”

****

or “sarcasm”

94. Wilde says:

leadfarmer: You must’ve missed the weeks worth of Hitch is so dreamy posts. Hitch can’t do anything wrong and TMac was horrible while Hitch was doing things that drove people mad about TMac even more.

In order for you to think that’s what the consensus was for weeks, you would have to take:

a) Clearly humorous exaggerations as literal statements of stance

b) Descriptive statements of correct decisions as blanket endorsements of the decisions maker

That’s just in general. There’s numerous other uncharitable leaps that would have to be detailed on a case by case basis to prove that they’re being shoved under an umbrella.

leadfarmer: I read everyone’s post in good faith. I choose to make my own opinion and not be a blind sheep

These are two completely disconnected statements to each other, curiously presented side-by-side. The period makes it ambiguous to whether or not you think they’re related to one another (and the talk we’re having), but since it’s a non-sequitur yet included, it implies that you think that second part pertains to this discussion.

It doesn’t, but it describes your outlook really well and a lot of my work here for me. Your opinion being separate from the one that you’re reading should have nothing to do with whether or not, or to what extent, you read (and respond to them in good faith.

One can disagree with a viewpoint (and hold an independently formed opinion on the matter in general) but read and respond to it in fairness.

Were people excited about Hitchcock’s effect on the team? Obviously.

Did enough people to remark about profess that he was going to fix everything? That’s a weighty but general enough statement for you to have to actually make an attempt to detail it to some degree unless you just wanted it to be read as “me right, they wrong, lol” which I’m perfectly fine with.

But that’s all it is, and when I call it that, responding with a blanket denial isn’t very convincing.

95. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m starting to think that maybe the Oilers aren’t very good – they might have some roster issues……

96. Professor Q says:

I had fallen asleep when they were up 2-1.

What a nightmare to wake up to.

Jersey tosses, hat tosses not for hat tricks, Cam Ward cheering on the jersey tosses, and Kane tying McDavid for second place again.

I also am going crazy, hearing mice run through the walls (or possibly squirrels running over the roof?).

97% battery life, though.

What the shyte?!

97. OriginalPouzar says:

For those that are making decisions on player’s ceilings while they are clearly still in the development statges, I would suggest that maybe they/we take a step back and realize that players develop at different rates and maybe even look to last night’s opponent for evidence of the same.

Lots seem to have made up their mind on Darnell Nurse and his ceiling – Nurse turned 24 two days ago. Lets take a look at Erik Gustaffson. When Gustafsson was 24, he had half a disappointing NHL season under his belt and was then about to play a year and a half of AHL hockey. Now, a month before he’s 27, he’s solidified himself as an NHL player and a top 4 guy – during a season in which he turns 27.

What about Puljujarvi and trading him for immediate help due to his disappointing development. Lets take a look a Dylan Strome, a full year older than Jesse and actually drafted higher at 3rd overall. After being given up on by his draft team at 21, he’s solidified himself as a top 6 player while on the verge of turning 22. Maybe, just maybe, the Oilers should give Puljujarvi some more time.

98. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Hitchcock is playing McDavid with Lucic and Rattie.That is evidence of senility.

Man systems’ coaches just piss me off.McLellan and Hitchcock are gifted a generational player, and are clueless how to use him.Yes, the roster is bad, but still much better than what Krueger and Nelson had.

Fire Nicholson.Hire Krueger to replace him. He has run a premier league team.

99. OilersFuture says:

JimmyV1965: I honestly don’t know who to be pissed at. The coach is gone. The GM is gone. Should I be pissed at Reider because he has no goals and he’s playing on the second line? Should I be pissed that Lucic is even on the roster? Don’t think so. Who the hell do I direct my anger at? This is very confounding.

Blame it on the water. Or in the words of Milli Vanilli, blame it on the rain.

100. StixMalone says:

Keith should sit down and look Connor in his eyes and tell him things will be alright.

I’m in Riviera Maya supposed to be enjoying my vacation but I torture myself following this team. My gosh what a beaten down franchise. At least I got out of the deep freeze into some sun. Enjoying a espresso with Baileys as I’m writing this.

They have these Rey Mysterio head masks here with NHL and other sports teams logos on them. I might purchase an Oilers one and wear to a game, I wouldn’t want people to recognize me. But it does seem better than a paper bag.

I should try and escape everything, even this “fragile” team while I’m here and it might just happen yet.

Hey OP I can’t believe you think there might actually be a roster issue. I think it goes even further now with the way coaches have tried various deployments.

How about those Condors!!!

Is Jay Woodcroft a viable option for promotion??? He seems to get a lot out of his team. I’m not so sure I want to see Hitch back next year. Honestly I think this team needs a faster thinking more progressive coach. Stubbornness killed Tmac and might be Hitches downfall as well. Not really sure but honest question would Woodcroft be a good choice?????

I’m going to catch some rays now to get rid of my blues……

Cheers boys I will continue to read the blogs and follow this pathetic team. I’m such a sucker for pain. I must be masochistic or something…..

101. deardylan says:

During one of these games in the lost decade a fan was caught throwing his Oilers McDavid jersey on the ice. The matter was reported to vice-usher with the request that the culprit be expelled. The usher ignored the case.

Later this fan took his Dr.Drai sweater and was got caught on TV in a similar act throwing the jersey to the ice , and again the usher disregarded the matter.

This angered the other fans, who drew up a petition asking for the dismissal of the culprit, stating that otherwise they would leave the team and not renew season tickets.

When the vice-usher had read the petition he called everyone before him. “You are wise brothers,” he told them. “You know what is right and what is not right.

You may go somewhere else to support the Lames or other teams if you wish, but this poor brother who started the jersey tossing does not even know right from wrong.

Who will teach him if I do not? I am going to keep him here even if all the rest of you leave.”

A torrent of tears cleansed the face of the brother who had thrown his jerseys to the ice. All desire to do it again had vanished.

102. jp says:

HT Joe: Has a bottom 5 finish with 2 players with those kinds of point totals ever happened before in the NHL?

I was thinking Salic/Sundin did it.

They did not. But the Nordiques finished last in Sakic’s rookie year with Stastny and Poddubny putting up 100+ points.

In Sakic’s 2nd year the Nordiques managed 31 points. Sakic’s scored 102 on a team that also featured Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet and Guy Lafleur.

103. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– One of the unintended consequences of having two coaches and 2 GM’s in the same year is chaos for the employees

– I know the counter is “yeah they are professional, suck it up”

– If anyone has worked in a dysfunctional organization, they appreciate what it does to habits

– Half the team knows they won’t be here next year, they all know the deal like Penner about who does what: these are young athletes with no world experience, used to winning all through their lives, and they have to show up to work in this

– I asked post-Chia if the team was better off making the playoffs, or not, long-term. The group that advocated for firing Chia internally would have represented that they can fix it up

– To the extent that the decision on the direction of the management team hasn’t been already decided, it probably is best to have a gong show, and no one is safe: really sucks

104. frjohnk says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: The group that advocated for firing Chia internally would have represented that they can fix it up

The dust has settled and there is more damage than most thought.

We might need a generational GM to clean this mess up for us to be Cup contenders in the next 5 years.

But we are only 3 points out, so playoffs is not out of the question. The turtle race is awesome, its as if every team from 8th to 15th does not want to play in the playoffs.

105. Jethro Tull says:

OilersFuture:

Blame it on the water.Or in the words of Milli Vanilli, blame it on the rain.

Lol, were they really Milli’s own words?

106. Dustylegnd says:

StixMalone:

Is Jay Woodcroft a viable option for promotion??? He seems to get a lot out of his team. I’m not so sure I want to see Hitch back next year. Honestly I think this team needs a faster thinking more progressive coach. Stubbornness killed Tmac and might be Hitches downfall as well.Not really sure but honest question would Woodcroft be a good choice?????

I’m going to catch some rays now to get rid of my blues……

Lack of talent has killed every Oiler coach post McTavish ……this roster is deeply deeply deeply deeply flawed

Seriously

107. hunter1909 says:

Wanted to check in after last night…

The team is flawed.

The team is screwed.

Yikes.

108. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

frjohnk: The dust has settled and there is more damage than most thought.

– It is amazing that we are 3 points out: is it better to squeak in, maybe surprise because CmD and in the off-season think we need just a good GM and some of our rookies to emerge, and a healthy Sek and Klef?

– Pretty silly of me to think that: of course playoffs are better, but I have this nagging feeling…

109. StixMalone says:

Dustylegnd,

I didn’t think that 2016 team was that deeply flawed. It could have gotten “minor” tweaking since then and I think it would be a lot better roster today.

OriginalPouzar: I’m not sure its a sign of senility and more that repeatedly suggesting that the best linemate for McDavid is a player with a grand total of zero goals this season…..

Sather played players in slumps with Gretzky all the time.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Slump? Its 50 games in to the season and he has zero goals.

OriginalPouzar:
    Slump?Its 50 games in to the season and he has zero goals.

Sather would have broken Rieder’s slump months ago, probably by the means I have suggested.

113. drglen says: