Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats

The Edmonton Oilers had a 2-1 lead going into the third period last night, and Oilers fans had thoughts of waking up this morning one point out of the playoffs. A wretched third period put those thoughts to rest and the organization once again sent fans out into the cold angry and disappointed. How long is how long?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton brought it yesterday, there’s a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Setting the Oilers’ expected keeper list for the next GM
  • Lowetide: Entry deal AHL forwards give the Oilers an excellent trade pool.
  • Lowetide: If fast is the new big, how do the Edmonton Oilers get there in a hurry?
  • Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how well Peter Chiarelli and Keith Gretzky restocked the Oilers with their draft work
  • Lowetide: Finding a path to the playoffs may involve reckless use of future assets by the Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
  • Tyler Dellow: A deeper look at Connor McDavid and the Oilers’ 5-on-5 offensive changes under Ken Hitchcock
  • Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
  • Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
  • Lowetide: Caleb Jones has impressive first showing in the NHL with Oilers.
  • Tyler Dellow: Four questions that the Oilers should be asking candidates for the GM job
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: New Oilers caretaker Keith Gretzky caught between earning playoff berth and keeping future assets
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

OILERS AFTER 53

• Oilers in 2015: 21-27-5, 47 points; goal differential -21
  • Oilers in 2016: 28-17-8, 64 points; goal differential +12
  • Oilers in 2017: 23-26-4, 50 points; goal differential -28
  • Oilers in 2018: 23-25-5, 51 points; goal differential -19

OILERS IN FEBRUARY

• Oilers in February 2016: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -8
  • Oilers in February 2017: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -3
  • Oilers in February 2018: 1-1-1, three points; goal differential +2
  • Oilers in February 2019: 0-1-2, two points; goal differential -6

WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY

• On the road to: Philadelphia, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-2)
  • At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Pittsburgh, Carolina, NY Islanders (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, NY Islanders, Anaheim (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 0-1-2, two points in three games

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Klefbom-Larsson played big minutes and had good possession but were culprits in specific moments. Pair were 18-13 in 18:19, 10-6 shots, 0-1 goals and 7-4 HDSC. Were 8-9 in 10:10 (0-1 goals) against Caggiula-Toews-Kane. I’m glad to have Oscar back.
  • Nurse-Russell had an awful third period. The Haydun goal was mostly about Rieder, but Nurse screening Talbot on the Strome marker and Russell leaving his feet seconds before the Caggiula goal contributed to the disaster. Went 9-5 in 6:25 against Saad-Kruger-Kampf. This pairing collapses like a cheap suit.
  • Gravel-Benning were low event despite getting caved in possession.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 23 of 27, .852. Mikko Koskinen stopped six of eight, .750. Not good.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS LAST NIGHT

• Lucic-McDavid-Rattie were 12-13 in 9:28, 5-8 shots and 0-1 goals. Were 4-4 HDSC. I think we’ll see this line shuffled soon. Rattie had a helluva chance late in the second, if he scores there, well, you never know.
  • Reider-Draisaitl-Chiasson went 6-4 in 8:10, 3-2 shots, 0-1 goals and 1-2 HDSC. Reider is going to drive me mad, good lord man you trolled us for years with your scoring and now it’s all gone, every last drop.
  • Khaira-Nuge-Kassian were 4-3 in 5:43, 2-0 shots and 2-0 HDSC. Not sure why were didn’t see more of them.
  • Malone-Brodziak-Puljujarvi were 2-5 in 4:28, 0-2 shots, 0-1 goals and nothing high danger. Malone high sticked McDavid. Good grief.

A FEW POINTS

• Throwing things on the ice is old. If you want to show your rage, do something like turn your back to the ice for the first two minutes of the game. Soccer fans do that kind of thing to shame management and ownership. More effective, gets headlines.
  • The Oilers need a goalie. Incredible.
  • I wonder what Todd McLellan is thinking now.
  • Leon Draisaitl is a helluva player.
  • Connor McDavid is the best player in the game.
  • There’s no trade that can be made to guarantee the playoffs. Oilers should keep their powder dry.
  • The new general manager should cordon off the prospects (Bouchard, Yamamoto, Benson) from this Oilers team until the fall.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, we’ll open up the phone lines and Bruce McCurdy will be around at 10:20 to offer his opinion on last night’s game. Kris Abbott from OddsShark will also drop in just after 11. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

251 Responses to "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats"

« Older Comments
  1. mustang says:

HT Joe: Bring it.
    “EAC will operate Rogers Place and pay all operating and maintenance expenses, and will receive all operating revenues, including naming rights and parking revenue.”
    “A location agreement signed as part of the deal keeps the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club in Edmonton for 35 years.”

So, correct my ignorance if I’m wrong, but it looks like if the Oilers get moved out of Edmonton, that would end the Agreement between the City of Edmonton and the EAC.As a result, the EAC would lose control of the Arena and the non-hockey revenues.Do I have that right?

You know this moving the team is an actual joke. The fans are great here, nowhere else would owners ever get away with this BS. 10+ years of crap and fans still support. If Katz got pissed because support dwindled, then get your head out of your ass and get real qualified people to run this organization. Moving the team and keeping on keeping on, won’t go over so well in a different city.

2. Ryan says:

Bank Shot: I dunno. Sounds like a fan trying to convince himself that just putting a new GM into place will fix what ails this franchise.

I don’t see it ever getting better until there is a total purge of the OBC.

Doesn’t seem likely anytime soon.

I am just saying that even if he had some sort of bad advice and/or mandate from the OBC, there was a lot of room to negotiate better on these trades and contracts.

3. Ryan says:

russ99:
    Ryan,

He was just hired and every GM listens to the information and recommendations his staff gives him.

He said he saw Reinhart play in the AHL but none of our scouts did so I think that’s a bit of butt covering.

At worst he was led down the primrose path, at worst he was forced into it as the new guy, public face.

Either way I don’t blame him entirely and there is no way as fans we can accept another GM who doesn’t hire his own staff.

Agreed that acquiring a player like Reinhart was partially due to bad intel.

However, that doesn’t excuse him for paying too much either.

No one would accuse Chiarelli of being a shrewd negotiator.

4. Scungilli Slushy says:

Alpine:
    They definitely liked Manning, don’t think that was a burn it all down trade. Chia drafted Spooner and knew his track record. He made moves he thought would work and they didn’t because he’s not the greatest judge of talent, and neither are the OBC.

Agreed. I don’t think PC did any due diligence. I don’t think the OBC did or does.

Lucic is awesome! Oh, he is declining 5v5? Strome is buddies with Connor, I thought he could skate he was a top pick?Wideman can pass the puck, I remember. Spooner has the stuff, I saw him in Beantown!

On and on it goes. Makes the job easier when you don’t have to do the digging or listen to the math snobs you used to employ.

I think they like to hang out, drink expensive hooch and have nice dinners more than anything, like hard to do.

5. Woodguy v2.0 says:

MADOIL:
    jtblack,

Bit late to the discussion but I have an issue with blaming every bad decision by the club to the Red Summit group. I think being a POHO and GM Chia would have had the power to make the final call on all hockey related decisions. Obviously he would have discussed the moves with the’ ‘committee’ but ultimately it must have been his decision. Being a GM of another franchise, I am sure he was aware of the interference from the oilers’ alumni in hockey operations before taking the job (and I think that is why he insisted on becoming the POHO as well).
    I believe he was a bad evaluator of talent as well because if he knew that the guys he was bringing in were bad (but he had to since this was decided by the BOTB) he would’ve realized that sooner or later the team would sink and he’d be fired, right? Why would some one dig their own grave?
    Also, he is / was a horrible negotiator. You’d think that given his difficulties in Boston he’d have had the sense to hire a capologist to help him make sense of how to manage the cap but I think he figured he could wing it himself.
    Bottom line, he’s left the franchise well and truly ‘effed.

Best post in the thread

6. Drew says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Hopefully the last three games clarifies minds in the Oilers ‘brain trust’ and they see themselves a seller’s not buyers at the deadline.

For big trades in the summer that might give the team a chance of the playoffs next year;

1st pick, Russell + Bear for Colton Parayko

Lucic for Jeff Carter (another bad contact but a chance he can play third line center)

If Reggie’s wheels have recovered make Nurse available for a scoring winger.

Why would the Blues want Russell? You would need to add something really good to that to get them to bite.
    Jones and Yamamoto?

7. OilClog says:

TMac is sitting there grumbling about how Hall doesn’t listen. Rabble rabble young punk

8. Oiler_Kiwi97 says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    It seems like the Oilers franchise faces an epic quest that has has about the same odds as the Australians at Gallipoli.

It isn’t really like that, unless the oblivious and overly loyal king leaves the clueless aristocracy in charge for the coming battles.

The Oilers have long over valued things in players that don’t matter much on the ice, and they will notopening their eyes to see how it doesn’t work. Somebody Or somebodies thinks if play is poor more truculence will fix it , see Manning and Lucic.

Also the deep almost unnatural love of shot blocking. Yes players should do it at times, but letting the goalies his job is important too. Getting in lanes is key, if you do that they don’t take the shot. Blocking a lot means you don’t have the puck and can’t get it back.

To me this all comes down to who they put in as POHO. If it’s Nicholson remaining there or some guy with a rep from a different era and a Hockey Canada pedigree we’re screwed, again.

If it’s someone with experience in one of the truly well run orgs (few) that has been adapting with the league there is a chance for change. If that happens and the NGM can make positive trades the ship will right fast. As in being competitive, I don’t see that as a hard challenge if the right approach is taken, getting to Cup contender is a real hill for all teams.

9. russ99 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Everything is done on reputation. Hired the GM, coach no search. Obviously no looking into Reinhart, I believe Pete said he hadn’t watched him since the memorial cup.

This makes a heck of a lot of sense.

I think there’s a direct parallel to many of the same old boys chasing down the next Lucic 5 years earlier being all for bringing in the real thing.

Plus Looch moved the needle with free agents wanting to play in Edmonton.

10. Dustylegnd says:

OriginalPouzar: So, you are saying there is a chance…….

There is always a Chance…..your endless optimism blows me away and I tip my hat

Surprisingly….I concur that thee Oilers can turn this around in 3 to 4 years ….the really hard part should be behind them..but man…they have to get this next hire right…..and a radical change to approach is not negotiable

11. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

Then the Oilers go on the 2016 tear and somehow lose to the *spits* Ducks.What does Chiarelli say after that series?Something like “our defensive corps isn’t at the level of an Anaheim or a Nashville and that’s something we want to improve”.

True statement.They need a better and more talented D corps.

Since then, we’ve had Russell $4m x 4, Manning, Petrovic, Gravel, Auvitu, Gryba re-signed and bought out, Wideman, I’m probably missing some more bottom-pairing guys.

That was mind-boggling to me – you are absolutely right with his statement after being eliminated that he said the defensive group was not good enough to compete with the likes of NSH and ANA – he then proceeds to sign Russell to the $4M X 4 plus trade protection deal essentially locking in our top 4 for the next 3-4 years – ON JUNE 23.

It was a panic signing based off of the Sekera injury.

I’m not sure why I’m posting this as i generally am against re-hashing all the old mistakes of management (i’d rather look forward to discuss the path forward) but Chia has (had) a really bad trait of identifying “his guy” and doing whatever needed to be done to get his guy:

Larsson
    Russell
    Koskinen
    Manning (apparently)

As an aside, if you don’t mind me asking, what type of law do you practice? I’m a corporate lending lawyer in Calgary.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

YKOil: QO is a thing.Made Strome more money than he deserved.

Cap space next year comes from… precious few places actually.Natural growth in Cap ($83 million) and Talbot not being re-signed.Rieder’s cap space will get sucked up by Pulju and Khaira so I’m not really counting it.Finding a way to trade Spooner and Manning is basically job 1.

SCUNGILLI SLUSHY: I liked Auvitu and I like Gravel.With the right babysitter d-partnet Auvitu could have been pretty effective. Hope they keep Gravel.Man they need to improve their RD.

One of the jobs for the remainder of the season should be to give Spooner a solid stretch of games with McDavid or Drai considering, up and till this year, he has a history or providing exactly what this team needs – top 6 production when playing a complementary role with high end players.

The coach has not given him an opportunity to do what he does (and what he was acquired for – presumably) – he has been put in a position to fail and it simply makes no sense to me.

He has a solid history – 1/2 a season (now 2/3 but the last third doesn’t really count given his deployment) does change his historical norms.

A solid stretch in the top 6 could go a long ways to determine if he is a valid option in that top 6 next year – I believe he could be.

13. Bank Shot says:

Ryan: No, I am not an OBC apologist nor trying to say that sun will rise tomorrow with a new gm.

That’s fair for sure.

I just have a hard time being optimistic that the next guy will be any better given the environment he is going to be surrounded by.

14. Biggus Dickus says:

If only Katz would get caught saying some naughty words, then Oprah could force him to sell the team.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Rodrigue stops 16 of 18 and then 2 of 3 in the SO for a win.

16. GMB3 says:

Just saw a picture of Craig Simpson from his playing days. What a man rocket.

17. hunter1909 says:

Oiler_Kiwi97: Not forgetting the New Zealanders who were a huge part of the Australian and New Zealand Army Core of ANZACS at Gallipoli.

Gallipoli references seem apt tonight.

18. hunter1909 says:

Dustylegnd: Oilers can turn this around in 3 to 4 years

… starring Lowe, MacT Howson, plus the Hockey Canada guy who’s so evasive and clueless it’s not worth remembering his name are going to magically turn the team around. Despite having done nothing but fuck everything up since 2007.

I also “can” walk into a Vegas casino and walk out with a million dollars. I “can” walk in with a dollar, go to the roulette table and bet red 17X in a row while taking care to double my bets. It’s easy!

19. hunter1909 says:

After years of careful consideration, profitable meditation on this topic I have come to the following conclusion:

Edmonton Oilers are run by the biggest stupidest bunch of plonkers since Maple Leaf gardens under Harold Ballard and have exactly the same odds of ever winning anything so long as the regime remains in power.

20. HT Joe says:

hunter1909: I also “can” walk into a Vegas casino and walk out with a million dollars.

Haha… I’m now imaging the 4 people in your avatar photo pulling off a heist at a Vegas Casino… in the same vein as Ocean’s 9, I propose to you the upcoming imaginary film, “Hunter’s 4”.

For the record, your avatar is a bit blurry, so I assume the people are (from top left, and working clockwise): Richard Nixon, Vladimir Putin, Bruce Lee, and Liberace. Even though 3 of the 4 cast members have moved on, “Hunter’s 4” remains an incredible heist film in my mind.

21. Ryan says:

Great post here:

Some nice comments like this one:

“Everytime anyone hears the words “character”, or “pedigree”, or sees Mactavish, Howson, or Green scouting NHL games, there should be justifiable outrage.”

22. tileguy says:

Have we discussed the Rieder promotion to the first line and the banishment of Rattie to the press box yet, or is that being saved for tomorrow? Is this an attempt to tank or is it our 17th attemp at finding chemistry?

23. jtblack says:

Toronto has kept all their good young picks. They have more on the way.

They have added GOOD Veterans in the names of Hainsey, Marleau.

Now as the team as matured they have stretched out a bit with the Tavares signing and the Muzzin trade. They know they have a 5- 6 year window and this is one of those years.

Furstrating not to be in a position like them. Good young team that looks poised to be a contender for years.

24. Scungilli Slushy says:

Oiler_Kiwi97:

Absolutely!

25. OriginalPouzar says:

tileguy:

Rattie wasn’t on the ice at all – I don’t think that was an indication of a healthy scratch but that he’s banged-up/injured/sick/etc.

26. HT Joe says:

jtblack: I know looking back 4 years ago, I was expecting Edmonton to be “similar” to what Toronto has become.
    Toronto has kept all their good young picks. They have more on the way.

27. Scungilli Slushy says:

russ99: This makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Plus Looch moved the needle with free agents wanting to play in Edmonton.

As the team started playing their first rounders and kept failing, they attributed the issues with not being hard enough, not that Hall &Co didn’t have NHL players supporting them, a terrible defense Corp not getting them the puck, and years of poor drafting not providing the said needed players.

They are sounding the same alarm again sadly. Character, in the room, etc. I would bet a lot Connor couldn’t care less about anything but players that can play well or better, on the ice, warts and all. Maybe even worse.

Players just want to win and be appreciated.

I’m not worried about Koski, if they sort out the D.

More speed, more skill, and a freakin 2RD until they get pushed down or off, but even if Bouchard or Persson make the team they will not be that for at least a year. Neither has shown enough defensive acumen that says they have enough of that for the NHL level yet.

28. Professor Q says:

Oh, man. Pączki are out in the bakeries now.

One of my most favourite times of the year.

29. hunter1909 says:

Anyone know who they play next? When’s the next game?

lol

30. Ice Sage says:

Biggus Dickus:

He’s already been caught doing worse.
    Nothing’s gonna change this barge adrift except incremental smart moves.
    We await the first one…

31. flyfish1168 says:

tileguy:

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:

Toronto has kept all their good young picks.They have more on the way.

They have added GOOD Veterans in the names of Hainsey, Marleau.

IF PC got appropriate returns for Hall, Eberle, a first and a second that was like first the Oilers only problem would be having a bunch of good players and being at the cap, having like the Leafs to decide who to keep.

Moving the assets wasn’t really the problem even if ill advised, it was getting punked in every deal and bleeding talent. It didn’t have to be a talent drain.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168: Having Rieder on the 1st line frustrating and everything we preach is full of $hit, he does not deserve time on the 1st line. He belongs in the bottom 6 on this team and AHL on a good team. JP had a good weekend and he earned his ice time and at the very least time with Nuge as his center. I can see why Jesse loses his confidence and faith in this team. At the very least Rattie had 3 good games and should be thereover Tobias. I was happy we good him this past summer. Now I feel no GM would even take him for a 7th round pick. Most teams have players that can do what Rieder does on the farm and cost less. JMHO

Rattie didn’t skate today at all – likely a sign of being banged-up or sick. Perhaps Rattie is remaining on the top line and Rieder is in line to be a healthy scratch and is just filling in for Ty in practice.

34. hags9k says:

Hitch has to get them back focused on defending as a team. D zone positioning and checking, checking, checking. The goalies have to make saves, but they have to keep things calm and outside and limit the gaffes for HDCA.

35. Glovjuice says:

Scungilli Slushy: The issue to me is that PC is a terrible trader. I think his passion for one for one deals highlights it. Sather often got the best player in a deal that had multiple aspects. Other teams do, if you can target a young player multiple pieces obscures things to the other GM IMO or makes it seem less risky. The key is good evaluation which the Oilers have been bad at for ages.

THIS is the best post of the thread. I’ll paraphrase – just make average to poor decisions but don’t make franchise altering horrendously awful decions; and, bam, with McDavid, you are probably a playoff team, year in and year out.

36. JimmyV1965 says:

If we get a creative GM, I see no reason why we can’t dump Lucic if we retain $3 mill in salary. Add to that the $3 mill in extra cap space, plus another $1 mill in other cap dumps, and the Oil should be able to add $7 mill in cap space next year. That will allow us to trade for a legit top 6 forward next year. If we get the right guy, I think there can be a dramatic improvement in the team next year.

37. CallighenMan says:

Dustylegnd: McDavid would love McDavid in another Market

Again troll?!?

tileguy:

39. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965:

Unfortunately, even with $3M retained, Lucic may not be tradeable without a material sweetener added and retaining $3M plus paying a team to take him is simply too much in my mind.

Even with a move like that, I’m not sure the cap space is what you think it is when you take in to account some raises. Jesse will go from $925K to apx $1.5M. Khaira will go from $650K to apx $1.5M. We need to back-up goalie and, given our starter is far from a sure thing, this is likely to be a plus back-up.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Rieder is a better hockey player than Rattie on pretty much on any measure one chooses.

Except the most important trait to play with McDavid is offensive hockey IQ which is a skill where Rattie trumps Rieder.

41. €√¥£€^$ says:

Moonlight:
    This blog is like our support group.

Nailed it!

42. €√¥£€^$ says:

Moonlight:
    This blog is like our support group.

Nailed it!

godot10:
    Krueger has been running an English premier league team.

Replace Nicholson with him.If you want to push out the entrenched management.

Krueger, plus a new GM, Keith Gretzky as AGM, Hitchcock…would be a start.The new GM might hire a different coach.That would be okay.

Lowe would certainly be ceremonial then.MacT and company would be gone.

If Nicholson stays, all we are getting is another figurehead GM like Tambellini or Chiarelli.

I agree 100%!

Start emailing Katz folks!!

dkatz@edmontontonoilers.com

43. ArmchairGM says:

JimmyV1965:

Agreed. And I think we can do more than “$1 mill in other cap dumps” too.

44. flyfish1168 says:

godot10:
    Krueger has been running an English premier league team.

Replace Nicholson with him.If you want to push out the entrenched management.

Lowe would certainly be ceremonial then.MacT and company would be gone.

Krueger 1st order of business would be to skype MacT ” Hello Craig remember me? I heard you like firing people through Skype”

45. CallighenMan says:

Tarkus: That closing sentiment is exactly what Katz is banking on.Support your team or lose it.Edmontonians, not wanting a reprise of the Michael Largue / Lester Mittendorf shenanigans, will continue to pack the house and shell out for merch.

And yet, if Oilers fans do somehow vote with their feet, Katz will have a pretext for potentially moving the team away from Edmonton.

I don’t know a way out of this.

EDIT: After reading further up the thread, there’s apparently some sort of 35-year arena deal which prohibits Katz from moving the team.But I just wonder if there isn’t some loophole Katz and his legal team couldn’t exploit to get out of said deal.The uber-rich will always find a way to weasel their way out of any contract they no longer deem useful.

Heh, younare thinking like Pocklington – he thought he could move the team and ignore the clauses in his loan agreement with ATB and found out differently when he tried to sell them to that Houston fella.

46. CallighenMan says:

I don’t know a way out of this.

Heh, you are thinking like Pocklington – he thought he could move the team and ignore the clauses in his loan agreement with ATB and found out differently when he tried to sell them to that Houston fella.

47. Jethro Tull says:

How about these ones?

Sorry, you’re right, Toby is slightly better at face-offs.

Jethro Tull: How about these ones?

Sorry, you’re right, Toby is slightly better at face-offs.

If you neglect the rest of their NHL career stats.

49. Jethro Tull says:

godot10: If you neglect the rest of their NHL career stats.

No, no, it’s pretty much all there. Rattie has played a lot less NHL games, but is trending to be better than Rieder. Not by much, but better. Rieder was never the player some thought he was.We had him figured out at the time of the signing – a career bottom 6er that may play the odd shift on the 2nd line. At the moment, Rieder is doing his best Ryan Spooner impression. Which, if you go by cherry-picked stats, is a much better player than Rieder.

*Edited post, but something weird is happening with this site this morning.

50. ArmchairGM says:

Scungilli Slushy: a freakin 2RD until they get pushed down or off, but even if Bouchard or Persson make the team they will not be that for at least a year. Neither has shown enough defensive acumen that says they have enough of that for the NHL level yet.

I agree with your general sentiment, but I think you’re ignoring the defensive improvement that Bouchard has shown in the OHL this year. Here are his 5v5 GF/60 and GA/60:

2017-18: 3.25 – 2.78
    2018-19: 4.50 – 1.98

His 69.39 GF% is best in the league for defensemen.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Agreed. And I think we can do more than “$1 mill in other cap dumps” too.

Are you advocating simple cap dumps with minimal return or paying teams to take the bad contracts and giving up assets?

« Older Comments