The Edmonton Oilers had a 2-1 lead going into the third period last night, and Oilers fans had thoughts of waking up this morning one point out of the playoffs. A wretched third period put those thoughts to rest and the organization once again sent fans out into the cold angry and disappointed. How long is how long?
The Athletic Edmonton brought it yesterday, there’s a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.
- New Lowetide: Setting the Oilers’ expected keeper list for the next GM
- Lowetide: Entry deal AHL forwards give the Oilers an excellent trade pool.
- Lowetide: If fast is the new big, how do the Edmonton Oilers get there in a hurry?
- Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how well Peter Chiarelli and Keith Gretzky restocked the Oilers with their draft work
- Lowetide: Finding a path to the playoffs may involve reckless use of future assets by the Oilers
- Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
- Tyler Dellow: A deeper look at Connor McDavid and the Oilers’ 5-on-5 offensive changes under Ken Hitchcock
- Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
- Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
- Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
- Lowetide: Caleb Jones has impressive first showing in the NHL with Oilers.
- Tyler Dellow: Four questions that the Oilers should be asking candidates for the GM job
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: New Oilers caretaker Keith Gretzky caught between earning playoff berth and keeping future assets
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Goalless Tobias Rieder hopes to follow Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic and end his offensive funk.
- Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018
OILERS AFTER 53
- Oilers in 2015: 21-27-5, 47 points; goal differential -21
- Oilers in 2016: 28-17-8, 64 points; goal differential +12
- Oilers in 2017: 23-26-4, 50 points; goal differential -28
- Oilers in 2018: 23-25-5, 51 points; goal differential -19
OILERS IN FEBRUARY
- Oilers in February 2016: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -8
- Oilers in February 2017: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -3
- Oilers in February 2018: 1-1-1, three points; goal differential +2
- Oilers in February 2019: 0-1-2, two points; goal differential -6
WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY
- On the road to: Philadelphia, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-2)
- At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
- On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
- At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
- On the road to: Pittsburgh, Carolina, NY Islanders (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
- At home to: Arizona, NY Islanders, Anaheim (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
- On the road to: Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
- Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
- Current results: 0-1-2, two points in three games
DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT
- Klefbom-Larsson played big minutes and had good possession but were culprits in specific moments. Pair were 18-13 in 18:19, 10-6 shots, 0-1 goals and 7-4 HDSC. Were 8-9 in 10:10 (0-1 goals) against Caggiula-Toews-Kane. I’m glad to have Oscar back.
- Nurse-Russell had an awful third period. The Haydun goal was mostly about Rieder, but Nurse screening Talbot on the Strome marker and Russell leaving his feet seconds before the Caggiula goal contributed to the disaster. Went 9-5 in 6:25 against Saad-Kruger-Kampf. This pairing collapses like a cheap suit.
- Gravel-Benning were low event despite getting caved in possession.
- Cam Talbot stopped 23 of 27, .852. Mikko Koskinen stopped six of eight, .750. Not good.
- NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.
FORWARDS LAST NIGHT
- Lucic-McDavid-Rattie were 12-13 in 9:28, 5-8 shots and 0-1 goals. Were 4-4 HDSC. I think we’ll see this line shuffled soon. Rattie had a helluva chance late in the second, if he scores there, well, you never know.
- Reider-Draisaitl-Chiasson went 6-4 in 8:10, 3-2 shots, 0-1 goals and 1-2 HDSC. Reider is going to drive me mad, good lord man you trolled us for years with your scoring and now it’s all gone, every last drop.
- Khaira-Nuge-Kassian were 4-3 in 5:43, 2-0 shots and 2-0 HDSC. Not sure why were didn’t see more of them.
- Malone-Brodziak-Puljujarvi were 2-5 in 4:28, 0-2 shots, 0-1 goals and nothing high danger. Malone high sticked McDavid. Good grief.
A FEW POINTS
- Throwing things on the ice is old. If you want to show your rage, do something like turn your back to the ice for the first two minutes of the game. Soccer fans do that kind of thing to shame management and ownership. More effective, gets headlines.
- The Oilers need a goalie. Incredible.
- I wonder what Todd McLellan is thinking now.
- Leon Draisaitl is a helluva player.
- Connor McDavid is the best player in the game.
- There’s no trade that can be made to guarantee the playoffs. Oilers should keep their powder dry.
- The new general manager should cordon off the prospects (Bouchard, Yamamoto, Benson) from this Oilers team until the fall.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy morning, we’ll open up the phone lines and Bruce McCurdy will be around at 10:20 to offer his opinion on last night’s game. Kris Abbott from OddsShark will also drop in just after 11. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.