Game 61 2018-19: Ducks at Oilers

It’s Saturday. The cold is still in the ground, we’re miles from planting in the full moon, putting the winter coat away, saying goodbye to the Alberta mud until fall. In hockey terms, it’s a sad time, a time to watch the good teams go on, while the losers talk of lotteries and what might have been. In our town, the captain has been suspended in a rather addled ruling, the team phenom appears to have found a way to avoid the minors, and the world is turning as it should.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Edmonton Oilers at the deadline: Buy, sell or both?
  • New Jonathan Willis: Jesse Puljujarvi needs a fresh start, but there’s no reason it can’t be in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.
  • Lowetide: Are the 2018-19 Bakersfield Condors the best Edmonton Oilers affiliate ever?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘One of the best hockey games ever’: An oral history of the 2014 women’s Olympic gold-medal game.
  • Lowetide: How can the Oilers successfully sell the new regime to a fan base that is openly angry?
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers trade deadline primer: Focus should be on moves that make life easier for the next GM
  • Lowetide: Cam Talbot’s Oilers career a disappointment save one beautiful spring.
  • Jonathan Willis: Edmonton’s trade for Sam Gagner is a gamble well worth making.
  • Jonathan Willis: Inside the success of the Bakersfield Condors, and what it means for Edmonton
  • Lowetide: The Oilers sure have a lot of problems, but there is a simple solution.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Keith Gretzky on the Oilers trade deadline plan, Andrej Sekera’s return and Jesse Puljujarvi’s season
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ potential roster upheaval might set a record for summer activity
  • Jonathan Willis: Teams should beware of these players at the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
  • Lowetide: It’s time for Oilers owner Daryl Katz to stand and deliver a winning organization.
  • Lowetide: Entry deal AHL forwards give the Oilers an excellent trade pool.
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
  • Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
  • Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL trade deadline.
  • Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

OILERS AFTER 61

• Oilers in 2015: 22-33-6, 50 points; goal differential -33
  • Oilers in 2016: 33-20-8, 74 points; goal differential +13
  • Oilers in 2017: 26-31-4, 56 points; goal differential -33
  • Oilers in 2018: 25-29-6, 56 points; goal differential -24

Edmonton has a chance to win tonight, but without 97 it’s going to be difficult. I think we’ve seen enough of this team, depending on deadline moves, that we can suggest last year’s club is a good match. From Game 60 forward, the 2017-18 Oilers went 10-9-2 in order to finish 36-40-6, 78 points. I believe that’s going to be this year’s fate, or thereabouts.

OILERS IN FEBRUARY

• Oilers in February 2016: 2-9-0, four points; goal differential -21
  • Oilers in February 2017: 5-6-0, 10 points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in February 2018: 3-7-1, seven points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in February 2019: 2-5-3, seven points; goal differential -11

WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY

• On the road to: Philadelphia, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-2)
  • At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Pittsburgh, Carolina, NY Islanders (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-3-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, NY Islanders, Anaheim (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 1-0-1)
  • On the road to: Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 2-5-3, seven points in 10 games

HITCH’S OILERS (16-19-5)

• All numbers since Hitchcock took over. Forwards: 5-on-5 per 60; Defense: Corsi for 5-on-5.
  • The big three score well up front, interesting to see Kassian’s recent surge aiding those scoreless games earlier.
  • Lucic has recovered a little, Khaira was productive before injury and Sam Gagner has been a contributor early on.
  • Defense looks better already with Klefbom and Sekera back in the fold, that should help float the Nurse and Russell numbers.
  • Mikko Koskinen’s numbers since Hitchcock arrived are good.

WOODCROFT’S CONDORS (31-15-3)

• Forwards: estimated 5-on-5 points per 60; Defense: 5-on-5 goals for-against.
  • The top-six forwards look good, that’s an impressive group.
  • The defensemen are delivering positive goal share across the board. Music!
  • Shane Starrett may not be an NHL player but he’s playing well enough to get a look.

TODD NELSON’S 11-12 BARONS (45-22-9)

• Same as above, but this is the 2011-12 OKC Barons. I wrote about this team and others in my piece for The Athletic this week on the minors.
  • This team might be the best all-time minor league Oilers club, I think Todd Nelson was the key member of the team.
  • Paajarvi was 20, but he never developed as a true offensive option. Tyler Pitlick, who was a part-time forward in 2011-12, now owns a superior points-per-game than Paajarvi in the NHL.
  • Should it be a concern that Paajarvi had a better estimated points-per-60 number than Benson does at 20? I don’t believe so, but it’s an interesting curio.

MCDAVID SUSPENSION

If the Oilers were a little better team, this could be used as a rallying cry by Hitch. “Even the league is against us!” he could scream, but I don’t think he has the horses. It is a chance for youngsters to step up and for Koskinen to steal a game, however.

JESSE PULJUJARVI

My kids are two of my favourite people on the planet. One of the phrases they use is “let me live” when someone (me) is mocking them or getting after them for something.

I think it’s time to let Jesse Puljujarvi live. Release him into the wild. It isn’t his fault the Edmonton Oilers fumbled and bumbled their way through his entry deal. I’ve become a fan of his agent in recent days, seems to be the first voice speaking up for a young man so many miles from happiness. Let him live.

THE NUGE

Well, I’ve had it. From now on, when a member of the national media says something stupid about the Nuge, I’m going to tweet or retweet it and then publish it on this blog. A wall of shame if I’ve ever seen one.

475 Responses to "Game 61 2018-19: Ducks at Oilers"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. JJ says:

Jaxon says:
    February 23, 2019 at 9:07 am

I find it strange that anyone would even consider moving on from Puljujarvi but also strange that they wouldn’t play him with skill. While he hasn’t blown anyone away with his production his underlying numbers say he can help skilled players get chances and not bleed chances against. His Corsi% with skilled linens is among the best on the team. Why wouldn’t they roll with that until he finds his scoring touch? He’s only 20! They won’t get much for him anyhow, so why not support him and ride it out to see his potential. Trade him at 23 if necessary. If you’re getting anything less than a first rounder I think the odds are still in favour of Puljujarvi being an impact player next season over a 3rd round pick being an impact player in a few years.
    ======================

This times 10!

The Oilers should be targeting skilled players in other organizations who have fallen from favour.

2. Material Elvis says:

Glovjuice: Phil Collins is the most talented overall rock/pop star in history.

I hope you are joking because I can think of several rock/pop stars that are more talented. Pretty sure that Prince could play about 35 instruments (an absolute killer on guitar), crazy vocal range, and wrote hits for himself and others (looking at you Sinead O’Connor). I like Phil but he’s not even in the same conversation as a guy like Prince, for example.

3. Material Elvis says:

Bruce McCurdy:

He does have contacts & provides some insider info, but his take on the game itself is not very strong IMO & this Nuge crap is just the latest example of that.

That is a very kind way of putting it Bruce. He’s about as good at hockey talent evaluation as Stephen A. Smith is at football commentary.

@yeg97:
    John Shannon doubled down on his opinion that Nuge is part of the problem in Edmonton with his inconsistent play, particularly on defence. Might be a good time for John’s passing interest in Edmonton to pass elsewhere.

I’m with you Al, let him (them) have it.

Nugent-Hopkins isn’t Patrice Bergeron defensively, but he is a hell of a lot better than both McDavid and Draisaitl.

5. Pescador says:

Glovjuice: Phil Collins is the most talented overall rock/pop star in history.

Still wake’n bake’n I see

6. Andy Dufresne says:

Pescador: Lowetide: I agree. Even though Kaliyev is a perfect fit for need, the Oilers will pass on him imo.

I believe the Oilers will be drafting too early to pass on Kaliyev,
    so there’s that

Lowetide secretly believes this team is going to make the playoffs…..so picking or passing at 18 is a thing. 🙂

7. Bag of Pucks says:

Guys, it’s a slippery slope when you suspend based on severity of injury instead of the act. That’s why the NHL tries to avoid that now.

Go back and watch the replay. The penalty called on the ice was a hit to the head and even Connor’s not denying he hit him in the head. The argument for leniency is based on alleged lack of intent and no priors.

8. LMHF#1 says:

Bag of Pucks:

Except they aren’t.

You can crosscheck someone in the face and get nothing.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like Yamamoto will indeed take Currie’s spot with Benson and Marody.

Manning will play which, hopefully, doesn’t mean that Bear is out – he’s been in and out so much this year. I guess they could healthy scratch Stanton or Lowe but both are important let’s that I doubt it.

Don’t imagine they’d healthy scratch Day but I guess we’ll see.

I’’ll Update at game time. First period will be before the Oilers game which is nice.

10. Bag of Pucks says:

LMHF#1: Except they aren’t.

You can crosscheck someone in the face and get nothing.

Well, when the call on the ice is a hit to the head, it doesn’t give them any ability to ignore it. Those penalties get a mandatory review.

Cozens is a better fit for need, arguably. Byram is an all tool D. Those are always fits.

OriginalPouzar:
    Another big opportunity for Leon with Connor out of the lineup.

He’s been a bull that last few games away from Connor at evens (one game with Connor in the lineup).

When Leon has his legs he’s such a massive transporter of the puck away from McDavid, its wonderful to see.

That play he made in OT last game, chasing down the puck, that was at the end of a 1:22 shift.

Draisaitl has nothing to prove. He has proven it already. The “Frank Mahovlich” haters are never going to go away. They are fools.

13. Andy Dufresne says:

Glovjuice: Phil Collins is the most talented overall rock/pop star in history.

Said Patrick Bateman.

14. oilersfan says:

Bag of pucks

For me it’s not so much the suspension on Connor as much as all the similar penalties /suspensions not called on him or other Oilers.

Why wasn’t Doughty suspended for the elbow to Mcdavids head last month?

Or Anders Lee to the cross heck to Nurse’s face last week?

If the league actually suspended all the incidents this would be easier to swallow

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: He would if someone other than the Oilers were trading him.
    Would you move Benning for futures & cap space next year?

I would rather trade Russell for cap space in conjunction with the acquisition of a true 2RD stop-gap for a few years – I’m just not sure who that player might be.

I thought Stralman but was told he was a healthy scratch earlier this year and, from my subsequent research, although playing 20 min/game, he does seem to be struggling on a good team.

Rutta isn’t good enough, McQuaid isn’t 2nd pairing, Myers will be too expensive.

Hmmmmm

16. Andy Dufresne says:

godot10: Draisaitl has nothing to prove.He has proven it already.The “Frank Mahovlich” haters are never going to go away.They are fools.

Here’s a sweet quote from the Big M that applies to both Leon Draisaitl and JP,

“While with the Bulls, Mahovlich was placed on an unproductive line with enforcers Frank Beaton and Dave Hanson, one of the Hanson Brothers who had been in the movie Slap Shot. According to John Brophy, when a reporter asked Mahovlich what was wrong, he replied, “I don’t know, but I seem to play a lot better with Howe and Delvecchio.”

17. OriginalPouzar says:

doctoreye:
    OriginalPouzar,

We need to go out and trade for someone like Dzingel.Maybe a 2nd and a prospect.I suspect he would sign for a chance to play with Connor and Drei.He would help right away,and could be signed for 4to 5 million.He is already established and is a better bet than even a top draft who would need several years to develop.Hell,I’d even trade a first rounder for such a player than wait a few years to see what we have in the pick.

I don’t make any sort of trade for him unless a contract, a reasonable contract, is agreed to beforehand.

I’m also not overly-excited about that particular player and I think he’s become a bit over-rated.

He’s shown to be a 40-50 point winger – yes, something we need, however, he’s spoken of as a more material producer. We could use him, yes, but he’s very likely to get paid more than he produces.

He has produced this year playing almost entirely with Duchene – yes, he’d get either Leon and/or McDavid in Edmonton so will likely produce but I was just pointing out that he had been producing his 40-50 points as the complimentary player on the line – which is fine.

He isn’t used on the PK at all and his relative possession numbers are all negative.

18. Andy Dufresne says:

WHO WANTS A COLD ONE?!

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: The odd thing is this ends up becoming Gagner vs Spooner when the crux of it for me is I want them to stop making lateral moves in trading meh for meh. They should be acquiring picks and cap space right now. Instead it’s Stolarz and Gagner. Musical chairs continues.

Now they’re convincing themselves that Chaisson is untouchable. Idiots.

There wasn’t a reasonable ability to divest of the Spooner contract without material salary coming back – there just wasn’t. The trade was a lateral move, yes, however, it was a player that wasn’t going to be used by the coach for a player that will be used by the coach (and who has, in about 10 games this year in the NHL, outscored the player going out).

Not to mention the acquired player has a more mature overall game from the looks of it and 100% loves playing for the Oilers.

Gagner is a high level of offensive intelligence – that is the type of player that has shown to have success with McDavid as long as they have some skill as well, which Gagner does. We’ll see if there is some chemistry there down the stretch but Gagner has a legit chance to provide value for a $3.15M cap hit next year.

Given there wasn’t an ability to divest of Spooner for cap space, the trade makes sense and has already improved the lineup.

—————-

I’m not sure where you are getting at with Chiasson – management hasn’t even discussed a contract with him – its pretty clear he is on the market if there is a reasonable return offered.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

oilersfan:

The London Knights blogger that writes blog for the ohl and is an oilers fan hopes the Oilers do NOT take Karilev. I am on my phone but feel free to go to his blog.

I think it’s called the Oil Knight. Says he’s very one dimensional with questionable skating ability and hockey sense.

I value SPR’s opinion on OHL players – he does seem to know his stuff.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan:

Also, I didn’t watch the game itself, but it looked like Leddy played on the ensuing power play? No spotter? No trip to the quiet room? Leddy played over 18 minutes that game.

He was taken out of the game pursuant to the concussion protocol – returned later.

22. stephen sheps says:

Привет, мои друзья

It is time for everyone’s favourite weekly series: The Weekly Yak (Weekend update edition)

KHL regular season is now over, with the playoffs starting in a few short days. SKA plays Spartak Moscow in the first round. My son’s team is heavily favoured, which should come as no surprise. SKA is a juggernaut, finishing with a record of 49-13 and a goal differential of +129. Spartak finished 4th in their division with a 28-34 record and a -2 goal differential.

And now for the moment you’ve all been waiting for – the final tally for Yak’s regular season.

My son finished with a total of 47GP 23G-10-A 33P

Of his 23 goals, 7 were game winners (including 2 OT goals), while 8 were PPGs, all team leading categories!!!

Admittedly his Sh% was crazy high at 22.5% while averaging more than 2SOG/game. However the accuracy he seemed to have lost in his last few years seems to have returned. Is it sustainable? Who knows. However he also averaged barely over 14 mins/g (14:10), so he clearly made the most of the minutes he was given. Perhaps with more TOI, his sh% would normalize slightly but he would likely average more shots/gm.

Of note, he had a positive goal differential of 34GF-12GA

League wide, my son finished 6th in goals scored while averaging the lowest TOI and playing the fewest games out of all players in the top 10. He finished tied for 3rd in GWG, 10th in PPG, tied for 11th in even strength goals and tied for 12th in +/- (which…well, whatever).

My son has made me very proud. 23 goals for Yak. 23.

And now he is playoff bound, where hopefully he continues his recent dominance of KHL goalies and helps power SKA to the Gagarin Cup.

Go Yak Go.

And now for bonus content I have been waiting entire season to post:

End transmission

23. ArmchairGM says:

godot10: Cozens is a better fit for need, arguably.Byram is an all tool D.Those are always fits.

I have Cozens in my top 3, Byram in my top 6.

24. Gerta Rauss says:

stephen sheps,

I had Yak at 22 goals in Hunter’s contest.

I had 89 points for the Oilers and that’s wishful thinking at this point

25. OmJo says:

Bag of Pucks: But the league is zero tolerance on headshots now. They want this out of the game and I support that. Just don’t take away fighting. lol

As long as you don’t use your shoulder/elbow. If you’re a repeat offender who uses his stick as an axe on a players head you get a relative slap on the wrist.

26. Andy Dufresne says:

Gerta Rauss:
    stephen sheps,

I had Yak at 22 goals in Hunter’s contest.

I had 89 points for the Oilers and that’s wishful thinking at this point

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner on Yak,
    and some pretty darn good prognosticating on both. Well done.

Looks like you need them to fire one more coach and go on one last heater to end the season. 🙂

Good Luck. Your still in this thing.

27. OmJo says:

stephen sheps:
    Привет, мои друзья

My son finished with a total of 47GP 23G-10-A 33P

Of note, he had a positive goal differential of 34GF-12GA

My son has made me very proud. 23 goals for Yak. 23.

Go Yak Go.

And now for bonus content I have been waiting entire season to post:

End transmission

Also, thanks for doing this and…

Go Yak!!!

28. OmJo says:

Andrew Gross
    @AGrossNewsday

I asked #Isles Nick Leddy for his reaction to two-game suspension to #Oilers Connor McDavid for illegal hit to head: “I think it was just an unfortunate event in the game, I don’t fault him at all for it. Things happen fast. The league made the decision.”

Andrew Gross
    @AGrossNewsday
    #Isles Nick Leddy added #Oilers Connor McDavid texted ex-teammate Jordan Eberle to say sorry for the illegal check to Leddy’s head and to check in on how Leddy was doing.

29. jake70 says:

Ryan Strome with a couple of goals today. Up to 10 goals, 18 points in 42 gp for NYR.

30. YKOil says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Inregards to EDM acquiring an Actual NHL 2nd pair RHD:

WSH picked one up yesterday for a 2nd and a prospect that had fallen out of their favour ostensibly as a deadline deal and then signed him for 4 x 2.5

That some good GMing

Jensen will slot in at 3RD behind Niskanen and Carlson, but he’s played 2nd pair in DET for most of the last 2 years and done well.

Would have been a good place holder at 2RD on EDM while the kids got older and wiser.

I don’t think it a coincidence that Vic is the Director of Analyitcs for WSH, this is a great “under the radar” deal and then signing a contract that is value day one.

Wanted Jensen and thought the exact same as, apparently, Vic.

I lost it yesterday. Swore on this blog, swore while at the office, went for a long drive and swore some more.

Almost makes me cry, from frustration, sometimes how badly this team is managed.

31. stephen sheps says:

OmJo: It’s eery how on the surface at least his rookie NHL and rookie KHL season seem to mirror one another.

Also, thanks for doing this and…

Go Yak!!!

Honestly it was a lot of fun to do. He’s a kid I’ll always cheer for. I even bought a Yak #10 jersey a few years ago, thinking that he’d eventually become the player we all hoped he could be. Plus it gave me an excuse to post hilarious SCTV CCCP1 video clips and pretend I actually live behind the iron curtain, not just in Toronto.

Minor quibble – while this was his first complete KHL season, Yak actually played on his hometown team Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik during the lockout. I don’t know if 22GP is enough to count as a rookie season or not, but this season wasn’t quite his first time playing in the K.

Gerta Rauss:
    I had Yak at 22 goals in Hunter’s contest.

That’s a great guess. He’s my son (in the way that LT referred to MA Pouliot as his son) but I think I only guessed 17.

32. Oz says:

Andy Dufresne: Winner Winner Chicken Dinner on Yak,
    and some pretty darn good prognosticating on both. Well done.

Good Luck. Your still in this thing.

I also had Yak at 22 goals, but my 93 Oiler points will sink me

33. stephen sheps says:

OmJo,

thanks for sharing these tweets.

Can’t believe he got suspended, but here we are.

At least he’s playing in Toronto on Wednesday. I would’ve been livid had he been out for that game.

Also, any of the GTA folks here going Wednesday night?

34. Glovjuice says:

Bruce McCurdy: Well, the key word was “joke”. I’m actually a pretty big fan of Phil, even as I was initially crushed when Peter Gabriel left Genesis. Let’s just sayI enjoyed Phil more as a (superb) backup vocallist, but I enjoyed the band as a whole much more during the Gabriel years than its poppier later edition.

I new the joke. I luv Phil. Him, Michael, and Paul are the only 100 album sellers solo and with a band.

35. Pescador says:

jake70:
    Ryan Strome with a couple of goals today. Up to10 goals, 18 points in 42 gp forNYR.

It’s funny cause we could have got Gagne for free off of waivers & kept Strome.
    That is if Peter hadn’t Chiarelli’d the Oilers cap sitch.

Remember when we were all annoyed with Strome because he hadn’t scored in like 15 games or something.
    Good times.

Fuck you Rieder, you owe us 2 million dollars

36. Crazy Pedestrian says:

stephen sheps:
    Привет, мои друзья

My son finished with a total of 47GP 23G-10-A 33P

Of note, he had a positive goal differential of 34GF-12GA

My son has made me very proud. 23 goals for Yak. 23.

Go Yak Go.

And now for bonus content I have been waiting entire season to post:

End transmission

That’s cool. My “yak goals” tie breaker prediction was 23 goals.

Too bad my “Oilers Season Points” prediction was 98 points.

Oh oilers. why do you (still) suck so much…

37. Munny says:

LT,

Does the household Alberta – Saskatchewan rivalry extend to The Scotties?

Love The Tournament of Hearts… Goooo Alberta!!!!

38. YKOil says:

OmJo: Could Benning + 2nd not have gotten us Jensen?

Benning alone may have been enough as he is RHD and cost controlled. I would expect that Benning and a 3rd would have done it.

And just like that we don’t have to trade Nuge to get our 2RHD.

39. Munny says:

OmJo:
    Andrew Gross
    @AGrossNewsday

Andrew Gross
    @AGrossNewsday

Couple of class acts there.

40. YKOil says:

stephen sheps:

You be awesome. Thanks for all of these posts.

41. Glovjuice says:

Material Elvis: I hope you are joking because I can think of several rock/pop stars that are more talented.Pretty sure that Prince could play about 35 instruments (an absolute killer on guitar), crazy vocal range, and wrote hits for himself and others (looking at you Sinead O’Connor).I like Phil but he’s not even in the same conversation as a guy like Prince, for example.

Phil is as good at drums as Price is at guitar for sure. He is an absolutely stunning melodist writing hit after hit after hit.

42. leadfarmer says:

Hunter.
    Who is still in the running for the contest?

43. Munny says:

Where you hit someone repeatedly to the head?

44. Wilde says:

————————————————————

Michael Russo

Verified account

@RussoHockey

Replying to @Ryanman777 @TJRinger1

Player and a prospect I hear. Not sure he’d get that much back. Big contract, has really not played well.

I thought Coyle trade was 95 percent

I put Zucker chances at 70-30. He’s being shopped heavily

6:31 AM – 23 Feb 2019

————————————————————

Russo is the most plugged-in person who talks publicly about that team. This is 100% legit.

45. Ben says:

Wilde: Another buy-low candidate out of MIN. This is a free skill winger for anyone in the NHL, just like Nino was. Paul Fenton’s early days with the Wild are… interesting.

46. ArmchairGM says:

stephen sheps:
    Привет, мои друзья

My son finished with a total of 47GP 23G-10-A 33P

Of note, he had a positive goal differential of 34GF-12GA

My son has made me very proud. 23 goals for Yak. 23.

Go Yak Go.

And now for bonus content I have been waiting entire season to post:

End transmission

Yay, 23! Maybe I should try mega millions… then again, I had the Oilers at 97, so maybe I shouldn’t.

47. Professor Q says:

Andy Dufresne: Here’s a sweet quote from the Big M that applies to both Leon Draisaitl and JP,

Fun facts, Dave Hanson actually played Jack Hanson, one of the Hanson Brothers based on Jack Carlson, of the Carlson Brothers. He was originally supposed to play Dave “Killer” Carlson, but Jack Carlson wasn’t able to make time to act alongside them (the two other Carlson brothers who played the other Hanson Brothers).

Jerry Hauser would then play Dave’s intended role, which was based on Dave Hanson himself.

What a confusing turn of roles!

48. Gerta Rauss says:

Wilde: Another buy-low candidate out of MIN.

Spurgeon is the guy I’m keeping my eye on

It’ll be a summer thing but there’s our 2RD right there

49. Wilde says:

Ben: Truth. He has a good shot at 20 even on this down year. Can you get him straight up for Russell?

I was thinking about dumping Russell in a separate deal and then just flipping them Chiasson and a prospect so it’s essentially the salary dump they apparently want it to be.

This, Nino, Jensen, Hoffman, Coyle, Skinner -there’s so many players coming and going lately that could help EDM so much if they knew who the keepers are and how to liquidate the other parts of the roster properly.

50. Wilde says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Spurgeon is the guy I’m keeping my eye on

It’ll be a summer thing but there’s our 2RD right there

I think they really, really like Spurgeon. Especially Boudreau, and I don’t know if a rookie GM (no matter experienced in other areas) will cross his veteran, highly respected coach. I believe he was cutting Nino’s icetime before they dealt him

51. Gerta Rauss says:

Wilde: I think they really, really like Spurgeon

And they should

1 year left on his contract, they’ll probably have to/want to make a decision on him this summer

We’ll see

52. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar: Subject to acquisitions, that puts alot of pressure on one of the prospects to be ready for next year – its is highly likely in my opinion that one of Persson, Bear or Jones (even on his right side) would be able to play 3RD, in particular if they have Sekera at 3LD but I do hope that an incumbent like Benning is there to compete with them.

Hmmmmm

I don’t have a problem with expecting one of those rookies to step in & carry the mail.
    Unless he (Sek) plays 2nd pairing with Nurse they will be paired alongside Rej. On the 3rd pairing
    Especially not concerned about Jones, if the forward core wasn’t currently the worst in the league I would say Jones is ready now.

53. jake70 says:

Habs beating down on the Leafs…haha.

54. Pescador says:

YKOil: Benning alone may have been enough as he is RHD and cost controlled.I would expect that Benning and a 3rd would have done it.

And just like that we don’t have to trade Nuge to get our 2RHD.

Exactly trading away top 6 forwards or one of our 3 top 4 D to acquire a legit 2RHD is OBC way of thinking.
    And yes I am lumping our previous dud GM in to that cake batter.
    Somewhere in another teams war room a good GM & competent pro scouts are discussing how RNH is currently undervalued by the Oilers.
    They are just trying to figure out how to pry him out of Edmonton by offering up a much lesser player plus magic beans

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G is back in the lineup for the Condors tonight. Great news. Not sure who will center him and Russell – he might.

56. Gerta Rauss says:

Dzingel to Columbus apparently

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov with a late first period assist and an early second period assist – atta boy!

McLeod with a second period assist.

Hayden Hawkey stop 32 of 34 in a 3-2 win – rare that he sees that many shots. Good stuff.

58. Biggus Dickus says:

Anybody see the Greek Freaks’s story? Sounds fairly similar to JP. Oilers and Bucks should have been more aware.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Yak only signed a one-year contract – wonder if he’s looking to come back to the NHL or stay in the KHL? I reckon there would be NHL interest on a one-year around $1M deal to see if he parlay his new found offensive confidence. Not necessarily with the Oilers but I wouldn’t actually be against that.

60. OmJo says:

stephen sheps,

Likewise! Yak is still one of my favourite Oilers even though he hasn’t even on the team in forever. Still hoping he can salvage a NHL career!

Yeah I overlooked his lockout stint in the KHL. I consider this his unofficial “official” rookie season.

I guessed 30 goals. Wasn’t too far off. Had he played the full season, maybe he could have done it.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

The return for Ottawa:

2nd rounder in 2020, 2nd 2021, Anthony Duclair

for

Dzingel + 7th (originally from Calgary)

Wow – Dorion did VERY well there for a UFA who isn’t actually as good as the verbal about him.

He’s a nice player but he’s a 40-50 point guy while playing with Duchene who doesn’t PK at all and has negative relative possession numbers.

I think his new contract in free agency is going to be one of the bigger overpays.

62. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

Oilers definitely signing him then. 😉

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Along with his 2 assists, Samorukov is currently plus 5 as Guelph is up 5-1 with a few to go in the 2nd period.

64. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yak only signed a one-year contract – wonder if he’s looking to come back to the NHL or stay in the KHL?I reckon there would be NHL interest on a one-year around $1M deal to see if he parlay his new found offensive confidence.Not necessarily with the Oilers but I wouldn’t actually be against that.

There may be a lesson there in sending Puljujarvi back to Finland for a season to do something similar. Not sure the logistics of such a move but yeah.

65. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

Not bad for a 7th round pick.

Wouldn’t it be funny if Columbus also got Ryan Stone?

66. OriginalPouzar says:

Just doing a little research and noticed that, over the last 8 games, Kassian actually leads the Oilers in 5 on 5 P/60 at 2.03 – McDavid is well down.

Quite the stretch for Kass – think he’d be a good pick-up for the Leafs if management is looking to dispose of the $1.95M for next year (obviously providing value for that now but he is so streaky and inconsistent).

67. nelson88 says:

Samorukov now 3 assists and plus 5. Given a couple years in the ahl and proper development; big if, and he is going to be a real good two way D. Already strong on the D side and O potential to be developed

68. OmJo says:

Zuccarello to the Stars.

Is trade deadline today?

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Check that, 3 apples for Samorukov at the end of two periods – plus 6 with 2 shots as Guelph has a 6-1 lead.

EDIT: He’s actually plus 6.

70. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OmJo,

Monday.

71. HugThePost says:

watching Jeff Petry rack up an assist and goal so far vs. TML on HNIC and make play after play after play makes my heart dark.

72. Rich M says:

Stauffer ripping the league on the pre-game over the McDavid decision.

73. OmJo says:

HugThePost:

It’s okay, Craig’s on it to find a replacement.

74. Klima's_Bucket says:

If Connor got two games, how many will Wayne Simmonds get after mashing Dumoulin’s head against the glass?

75. Biggus Dickus says:

Looks like the Art Ross race is over for Connor.shame. If only he had a RW and a LW at the same time.

76. HugThePost says:

Biggus Dickus:

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Bear not in the lineup tonight – every time he gains traction this year he seems to get banged up – I’m guessing its a nagging injury – I know his last few missed games were an ankle issue.

78. Bank Shot says:

HugThePost:

Keith Gretzy was front and center in the trade Seguin video trashing the player.

Anyone that thinks Chiareli was the root of all evil is going to regret it.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

What a beautiful PP goal – Yamamoto off a feed in to the slot from the goal line – one touch pass from Joe G. who got the puck from Marody on the half-boards – Caleb Jones with the “third assist” with some nice work at the blue.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors have trailed for a total of 49 minutes over their last 15 games – my goodness.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

nelson88:

nelson88:

He’s spiking at the right time. If he’s legit, then he’ll arrive in the NHL sooner than a lot of previous prospects. I don’t think we’re at the Klefbom “timeline” yet but there’s a building verbal around him.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Biggus Dickus:

Kucherov does get the benefit of 2 real top line wingers (McDavid gets one max, sometimes zero) along with depth behind his line (so the opposition cannot focus solely on him) as well as a defensive group that can move the puck and help the offence.

In a couple of years, McDavid will have a similar supporting case and its going to be unreal.

84. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

HugThePost: Does Bobby Orr have to come to Edmonton this summer to sit across from TBOTB, Bobby Nicks and maybe even Katz himself to ask for reasons his client should stay in Edmonton?

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Reason #1 – 7 years left of a $100M contract.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov finishes with the 3 assists, plus 7 and 2 shots in the 8-1 win.

87. HugThePost says:

Bank Shot: That was a Craig move. Don’t worry. The OBC isn’t the problem though. He’s was only the second in command of hockey Ops.

Anyone that thinks Chiareli was the root of all evil is going to regret it.

I know it’s been beaten to death here, but we rose to the top of the league by believers that speed and skill will always win out and the teams were stocked with that mentality.

Now, the talent we had have become old angry men who the game has passed and they are intent on bleeding the team of every last drop of talent and skill.

The irony is so bitter.

88. Chief Inspector says:

OriginalPouzar: and he’s primarily a defence first guy but he’s a great skater and does love to join the rush – I guess I should start calling him more of a 2-way guy than a defence first guy. Point is he’s a real solid defensive player – physical and engaged.

89. Professor Q says:

Biggus Dickus:

Helped bring over his family, and his brother to the draft I believe, as he said he wouldn’t go to the draft nor the NBA if they weren’t allowed to go (they got their visas in the 3rd and final attempt). Then helped some of his other brothers get exposed to the spotlight and some of them are also drafted or might be.

Reinvigorated the Greek community and NBA fandom, re-energised Milwaukee in various regards.

Mind you, his first year was very similar to Puljujärvi in the sense that he had very few people to talk to, took cabs every where or bussed, and slept in the arena because he had no where else to go and didn’t want to go anywhere else anyway.

But there are a lot of differences as well.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Yup, Yamamoto filling in just fine for Currie on the top line – just coming shift after shift of possession.

91. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks: The post is sarcasm. I’m saying all stars deal with this and have been forever.

It’s an interesting thing because it shows how traditional the NHL is. The NFL has purposely created and enforced rules to protect and liberate the skill players to create more offense, but in doing so they’ve fundamentally changed their league and invalidated imo a big part of their record book.

Outside a brief spell after the 2005 lockout, the NHL has never fundamentally changed their approach to things like hooking, holding, slashing, interference, etc. And in the social media era where there’s more scrutiny/hysteria on a nightly basis, the conclusion is that it’s the worst it’s ever been. It’s not. That’s just recency bias in action.

I remember Badger Bob Johnson’s answer for the powerhouse Oilers was to get his Flames to line up 5 across the blue line and every Flame checked and/or tackled every Oiler to deny the zone entry.

It was like football and the NHL just let it happen.

4 interference calls and one hooking/tripping call could have been called on every attempted entry.

I’m not embellishing either.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

Rodrigue stops 22 on 25 in an 8-3 win.

93. LMHF#1 says:

Just Katz.

Orr needs to scare the crap out of him.

I said this a while back. Probably the only way things get fixed.

94. LMHF#1 says:

Don’t look now…but it appears the Blue Jackets could in fact add that whole line from OTT.

Too bad the Oilers didn’t have Jarmo in 2016-17…

95. HugThePost says:

LMHF#1:

Too bad the Oilers didn’t have Jarmo in 2016-17…

pffffft

Jarmo is a euro. Only good ol’ Canadian boys know ’bout Oiler hockey

Jack Michaels

Verified account

@EdmontonJack
    Follow Follow @EdmontonJack
    Oiler lines vs ANA:

Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Gagner-RNH-Kassian
    Lucic-Cave-Currie
    Malone-Brodziak-Rattie

EDM 6-2-2 in its last 10 vs Ducks.

97. HugThePost says:

LMHF#1: Just Katz.

Orr needs to scare the crap out of him.

I said this a while back. Probably the only way things get fixed.

I agree.

Sure, 97 has a big fat contract here, but the moment he says he wants a trade and #4 leaks that out, every team will be lining up to take on that contract.

I honestly believe 97 and Orr would have all of the leverage in that situation.

98. Wilde says:

I remember when he played games for the Condors and he struck me as a guy who gets it.

He’s a keeper if they plan on having a fast, track and reload team that uses big, rangy defensemen to step up in the neutral zone while fast, skilled forwards fly back to recover the loose puck – which is how the Oilers should be built.

They should keep whoever’s been scouting defensemen for each league and then go 90% math (scoring and micro) on forwards and spend a billion dollars on skating coaches.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Chief Inspector: Should be very interesting to see him in Bakersfield next year. PPG in his last 25 games.

Yup, and, if I recall correctly, he had a pretty nice 5 games or so in the Bake at the end of last year.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

Jack Michaels

Verified account

@EdmontonJack
    Follow Follow @EdmontonJack
    Oiler lines vs ANA:

Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Gagner-RNH-Kassian
    Lucic-Cave-Currie
    Malone-Brodziak-Rattie

EDM 6-2-2 in its last 10 vs Ducks.

That top line did have success earlier in the year for a stretch although I’m still not sure why Hitch went away from Rattie/Cave/Chiasson which was a phenomenal line against ARI.

Poor Rattie.

How long until Drai and Nuge are put together?

101. OriginalPouzar says:

If McDavid did get traded in the next 3-4 years, it would likely be the best scenario to set this franchise up to be a consistent contender.

This is not the NBA where one superstar can carry and franchise to the playoffs, figuratively, on his own.

Its essential in the NHL to surround the top players with a solid cast of secondary and tertiary players and, in the cap world, value contracts are essential to fill out the lineup of contenders.

The haul of high end, young, cost-controlled assets that would be the return would set the organization up for true contender status.

Of course, I am not in favor of even thinking about this and don’t believe its a realistic possibility.

The right pieces will be added to the great high end young core of this team as cap is shed over the next few years.

102. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

OriginalPouzar,

If 97 doesn’t want to playa in Edmonton, he’s not going to play in Edmonton. A 7 year contract starts looking daunting, not incentive to stay – and its a bargain on any roster. Orr and Connor hold all the cards. I think it would almost be unrealistic to think that Orr isn’t in at least Bob’s ear on the new hire and I hope Katz’ as well. Don’t let your optimism get in the way of a very real possibility.

103. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Gerta Rauss: Spurgeon is the guy I’m keeping my eye on

It’ll be a summer thing but there’s our 2RD right there

104. OmJo says:

LMHF#1:

Too bad the Oilers didn’t have Jarmo in 2016-17…

He’s selling the future for UFAs for a Stanley run. We’ll see how it turns out.

105. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Anyone that thinks Chiareli was the root of all evil is going to regret it.

Pete was worse than any of them, but there is no question the rot still exists.

The way this franchise values players is incredibly wrong on many levels and that thinking needs to be cleansed from the org.

106. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OmJo: It’s okay, Craig’s on it to find a replacement.

Well done.

107. rickithebear says:

Spent the last week in & out of hospital as my kidneys and blood pressure Crashed.
    No WiFi in hospital.
    At home and went on line today!

What Gagner for Spooner! Yes,

WTF!
    Suspended!

I got to go to FanSpeak and play with the NFL draft simulator!

108. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

Friedman just said San Jose is watching Chiasson, fits with Nielsen saying there’s interest for him within the division.

If a team like San Jose is interested in Chiasson, does that mean we should just extend him? Lol

109. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy v2.0: I remember MIN giving Scandella 4MM x5 in 2015 and screaming from the rooftops that it was Spurgeon who made that pair go and that EDM should go get him if MIN thinks it was Spurgeon.

Yeah, I remember that

They just paid Dumba and Suter is on the books until the sun burns out

We’ll see what they do this summer-I think another disappointing playoff exit -assuming they even make it-and MIN might make some changes

We’ll see

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    OriginalPouzar,

He’ll be fine to play in Edmonton – I have zero concern.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Hemsky is a gangsta:

Hopefully he’s not watching him miss wide open nets and skate awkwardly….

112. OriginalPouzar says:

Remember when they used to call interference on forwards with speed being held up by the d-men?

113. Thorin says:

rickithebear:
    No WiFi in hospital.
    At home and went on line today!

What Gagner for Spooner! Yes,

WTF!
    Suspended!

I got to go to FanSpeak and play with the NFL draft simulator!

Hope things are going okay for you, and that they get better.

Yes, WTF is is how I feel about the Oil these days, too.

114. tileguy says:

So far the paint is drying just fine, howz the game going?

115. BONE207 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    WHO WANTS A COLD ONE?!

If you’re talking about NHL revenge, no thanks. I’ve had enough.

That’s why I’m drinking screwdrivers tonight. Watching the game armed & ready for what I’m about to witness without CONNOR.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

The McDavid-less forwards aren’t quite meshing as well as they did early against Arizona last week.

117. Gerta Rauss says:

9 min in and 0 shots thus far

*check that…there you go, 1 shot

118. BONE207 says:

tileguy:
    So far the paint is drying just fine, howz the game going?

Paint? I always figured you to be a grout guy.

119. Professor Q says:

I wonder if the Simmonds hit on Dumoulin will warrant a suspension review?

Likely not.

120. Biggus Dickus says:

OriginalPouzar: The Art Ross was over for McDavid 10 days or so ago when Kucherov put up like 18 points in 5 games.

121. Todd Macallan says:

Looks like 2 non playoff teams so far. If this game was a horse it would’ve been shot.

122. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

BONE207,

Classic.

123. tileguy says:

BONE207,

BONE207: Paint? I always figured you to be a grout guy.

Hitchcock took over the job.

124. Professor Q says:

BONE207: If you’re talking about NHL revenge, no thanks. I’ve had enough.

That sounds complicated nuts, even if it makes me seem square. If I drank screwdrivers I’d likely flatline. However, you’re the star of your own show, Mr. Robinson.

125. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G is really turning in to a nice offensive player at the AHL level in his second year pro. He’s a bit older so I guess we could/should expect it but he is a MUCH better player this year offensively – good vision in the offensive zone, making smart plays and more skill than I figured he had after last year.

Not sure that will ever translate to the NHL level but, with his nice work ethic and responsible game, there is an off chance he could carve out some sort of NHL career – would help if he could skate a bit better.

126. Todd Macallan says:

I will never tire of watching Nuge’s edgework, ever.

127. Biggus Dickus says:

Professor Q: Giannis had the opposite story, though. Masai and his agent helped bring him over, as they helped him over in Europe as well.

But there are a lot of differences as well.

May have missed part of the story. It sounded like dumb luck that the Visas came through.

128. smellyglove says:

LT, on Friday’s show you had a segment that talked about how media covering losing teams have a conflict in whether they can be honest or not with fans over said team’s struggles. I did not get to hear it, but what was the consensus?

Watching HNIC and these commentators are talking about the Oilers clawing their way into a wildcard spot. So many teams ahead of them, the Oilers have played poorly over the last 20, and no historic precedent. Does anyone else besides me find this commentary disingenuous, annoying?

129. leadfarmer says:

If Bob and Panarin had doubts that Cbus can build a successful team around them well they showed them.
    Going to cheer for the Blue Jackets
    Great arena, great town
    Had fun when i lived there and enjoyed free ticket hand me downs from my attending when I was doing my fellowship

Josh Currie scored.

131. Bank Shot says:

smellyglove:

It’s stupid that they try to sell the hope because no one is buying it.

Resale ticket prices will tell you that.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

First NHL goal for Josh Currie.

133. npanciroli says:

Loved watching that.

smellyglove:

I asked Steve Lansky and he suggested a balanced approach is best. As in “this was a terrible play” but also showing what is working. It’s important for the home fan to have something to hold on to, that was his take.

135. Todd Macallan says:

Fantastic greasy goal for his first, what a terrific story.

136. OriginalPouzar says:

Currie with an NHL goal and Sekera with his first point back – does it get any better than that?

Which story should they make the 30 for 30 about?

137. leadfarmer says:

smellyglove:

They are trying to sell a product.
    A lot easier to do when you convince people the game is meaningful but instead of what it really is.
    Meaningless game between two basement dwellers

138. OriginalPouzar says:

Of note: Currie is on After Hours tonight – I think they’ll have something to talk about…

139. Todd Macallan says:

OriginalPouzar:

Which story should they make the 30 for 30 about?

When Rieder scores tonight, that’s the one they do.

140. OriginalPouzar says:

Good period. Slow start but Oilers started to come on in the 2nd half of the period.

Another solid period for Koskinen.

141. nelson88 says:

If true Chiasson will look good playing with jumbo joe

Raider will never score again

That’s all for me

Go Oilers!

142. OriginalPouzar says:

Biggus Dickus: Let’s be real. He won’t ever have that here. We’ve been a couple years away my entire adult life.

143. Snellbert19 says:

Man does Reg ever step up hard in the neutral zone.

Don’t see it too often from this group and I like it.

144. BONE207 says:

tileguy:
    BONE207,

Hitchcock took over the job.

Perhaps you do some plumbing? That makes you a glue guy…kind of like Russell. Good in the room with some creative starfish.

After One:

1-0 Edmonton
    10-8 Anaheim shots
    20-15 Corsi 5-on-5 Anaheim

A far better period than I believed we would see.

146. JimmyV1965 says:

Josh Currie 1 goal. Tobias Reider 0 goals. Put him on the frickin first line. He was the only guy that could actually get the puck out of the dzone during that two minutes of pain at the end of the period. Geez, Lucic needs to play on the fourth line with Brodziak and bury them with five minutes of playing time.

147. BONE207 says:

Todd Macallan: When Rieder scores tonight, that’s the one they do.

Anaheim could play without a keeper & Reider still wouldn’t score. In fact, he hung around with Robert Kraft all week but wasn’t charged….ha

148. Glovjuice says:

HugThePost: I agree.

I honestly believe 97 and Orr would have all of the leverage in that situation.

149. OriginalPouzar says:

Snellbert19:
    Man does Reg ever step up hard in the neutral zone.

Don’t see it too often from this group and I like it.

I noticed it repeatedly and consistently in his 5 games in the AHL and he’s continued it at the NHL level. We haven’t seen our other d-men due it very often, we probably forget how darn effective it is if timed properly.

As an aside, I saw Benning do it i the first – is that a “symptom” of Sekera being back?

150. OriginalPouzar says:

Gagner – goal!

151. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai continues to produce points, without McDavid.

Does that count as a 5 on 5????

152. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965:

Maybe we can stick with the current first line for a bit? I mean the Rieder/Drai/Chiasson trio as a 73% goal share in 140 minutes.

In 300 minutes without Rieder, Drai/Chiasson have their goal share drop to 56%

153. OriginalPouzar says:

Lets get Mark Stone – Bouchard and the 1st – this is our year!

154. Jethro Tull says:

Glovjuice: I agree. A generational talent has never asked for a trade before. So, if he does, we are entering the Twilight zone.

Lindros.

155. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: I will disagree – as long as Katz doesn’t force the new management to make a bunch of quick fix moves this off-season, I see it happening within a couple of years.

We’re all waiting for those Spooner updates

156. Nit64 says:

After One:

1-0 Edmonton
    10-8 Anaheim shots
    20-15 Corsi 5-on-5 Anaheim

A far better period than I believed we would see.

~ if they win tonight without 97 do they healthy scratch him again for the next game? ~

157. texmex says:

Nit64,

If they sat him against Toronto (first game back) in “protest”, would the league have supplementary discipline??

Note: protest the shit calls Connor puts up with everyday.

I’d sit him

158. OriginalPouzar says:

Sam looks to be a much more mature player than when he left – he is in the right spots in all three zones, is stronger on the boards and remains a highly intelligent offensive player. Offensive intelligence is the primary asset to play with both McDavid and Drai – of course some skill is needed (which Sam has) but knowing where to go, how to time it, how to get the right people the puck in the right places, finding the soft areas, etc. – those are the types of keys to playing with 29/97.

Sam has that type of game. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he is full value for $3.15M next year, maybe even making it a value contract.

Calm your tits OP!

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Colby Cave has been an absolute possession demon the last four games or so – so much offensive zone time with him on the ice.

160. VanIsleOil says:

Elliotte Friedman rolls into the barber shop….hands the barber a picture… this is how I want to look…..

https://www.jooomshaper.com/WDF-17838.html 🙂

btw….I really like Friedman

161. rickithebear says:

When considering trying to get players to come to Edmonton.
    Their first question is:
    Why should I come there considering what the league lets happen to Mcdavid?

162. Todd Macallan says:

VanIsleOil,

The girlfriend earlier: “why didn’t someone tell him about his hair?”

163. OriginalPouzar says:

Game on.

Tough play for Benning on the boards, he’s not able to handle it and its in the net.

164. Snellbert19 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Agreed. The knock on him is slow boots but it’s also nice to see a player take that extra second with the puck to make a play. Whether it’s to give the other players a chance to join the rush or just not throwing it to the other team i thinks it’s valuable….especially on this team.

165. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    When considering trying to get players to come to Edmonton.
    Their first question is:
    Why should I come there considering what the league lets happen to Mcdavid?

Yah, that’s the reason top free agents aren’t coming to Edmonton

Huge save by Koskinen there.

167. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G with some amazing forecheck work to put the puck in to the empty net – that was somewhat of a spectacular EN goal (went face first in the end boards prior to regaining the puck and sealing it).

That came after some pretty darn good Tuscon pressure with the empty net for a while.

Starrett came up with a big save on a Dvorak one-timer with 30 to go.

A 30 save shutout for Starrett and that’s 16 straight!

168. OriginalPouzar says:

Atta boy Mikko – that’s a big stop!

169. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

Would that be a self-imposed Gag-order?

170. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

rickithebear,

That’s forest for the trees thinking.

They should be thinking, “if I do well enough I could earn ice time WITH McDavid.”

171. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Cave is 53% CF and 59% FF as an Oiler.

The last 4 games he’s 66% CF and 73% FF.

Wow – stats meet the eye test – he’s all over the offensive zone.

172. Biggus Dickus says:

Problem is that other teams are getting mediocre draft picks as well, and they are way further ahead. We have seen about 3 generations of rebuilds pass while we remain at the bottom. Remember when we were laughing about how bad columbus was going to be for years? I hate being a debbie downer all the time, but if there isn’t some actual vitriol in the conversation, the same old stuff will keep going on.

I fired my financial advisor this week because she only got me 2.5% annualized since 2011. You have to be optimistic, but at a certain point, you have to wise up and listen to what people are telling you they are capable of. The Oilers have been screaming for a decade that they are unfit to run a sports team.

173. Bryan says:

Todd Macallan:
    VanIsleOil,

The girlfriend earlier: “why didn’t someone tell him about his hair?”

I’m not one to worry too much about a guy’s hair but that was a rough look👀

174. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:

This is a cool post. An actually trade Conner will make us better but don’t do it post. Neat. Postmodern trade thought.

After Two:

2-1 Edmonton (1-1 in the second)
    21-16 Anaheim shots (11-8 Anaheim in the second)
    42-26 Anaheim 5-on-5 Corsi (22-11 Anaheim in the second)

176. Ben says:

They have some cap challenges, but the Oilers are currently paying just $3,261,250 for 13 feet and 1 inch of goaltending.

That’s just $20,772 per inch — the lowest per-inch goalie tandem cost in the league!

#analytics #bigdata

177. smellyglove says:

I always like that Sam Gagner. Thought he was a good pick in ’07, although ultimately hindsight has proven that wrong. Still, good guy. Was fund to watch throughout The Dark Years 1.0.

178. Lucic n Chong says:

Colby Cave looking like an NHL player. Mikko having a good game as well.

20 hard miles left. Let’s get the W tonight boys.

179. tileguy says:

Ben:

#analytics #bigdata

Thats some impressive bit of ciphering.

180. BONE207 says:

Ben:

#analytics #bigdata

Ben…this is some fine analytical work.
    I wonder what I’d be worth per inch…?

181. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Ben,

You should Tweet that at Kevin Quinn, he’d be sure to use it during the broadcast.

182. Ribs says:

Was that a quarter starfish? Lol

183. OriginalPouzar says:

Massive block by Larsson….

184. Ben says:

BONE207: Ben…this is some fine analytical work.
    I wonder what I’d be worth per inch…?

*Choosing to be mature and not make an Arturs Irbe joke*

185. Gerta Rauss says:

Ben,

Hey Ben…are you JDi.?.

186. BONE207 says:

Ribs:
    Was that a quarter starfish? Lol

Only if it’s a 4 legged star. Otherwise it’s just a corner

187. OriginalPouzar says:

So, it seems that PP zone entries might be zoomed by McDavid….

188. BONE207 says:

Ben: *Choosing to be mature and not make an Arturs Irbe joke*

Maturity is a moving target. Relax & be free.

189. Ben says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Ben,

Hey Ben…are you JDi.?.

Nope

190. Lucic n Chong says:

Ben,

Brilliant, but you’ll have to convert to metric for Burger Bob.

191. BONE207 says:

Lucic n Chong:
    Ben,

Brilliant, but you’ll have to convert to metric for Burger Bob.

Measuring by the centimeter will boost self esteem also. Oh ya…my tender is bigger than yours!!!

192. rickithebear says:

2 – 2ev
    Currie 3gm
    1 – 1ev
    Cave 12gm
    Reider 46gm

193. SK Oiler Fan says:

Why do Oilers D stay on the boards so spread apart on the PP? No Chance for shots from the middle of the ice. Just Nurse muffins from the angle.
    Have Oiler coaches not heard of a heat map?

194. rickithebear says:

BONE207: Ben…this is some fine analytical work.
    I wonder what I’d be worth per inch…?

Put elite Hdsh and 0% corsi dmen in front of a our tall tandem should generate a low % of storable HD shots.

I have pointed this out for years.
    Glad you get it Ben.

Some on here?
    No hope!

195. Ben says:

rickithebear: As anyone knows the average hit goalie/60 rate increases markedly by inch increase.

I have pointed this out for years.
    Glad you get it Ben.

Some on here?
    No hope!

Hey, we can’t all be childhood progenies, right?

196. BONE207 says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Have Oiler coaches not heard of a heat map?

197. Bank Shot says:

I have pointed this out for years.
    Glad you get it Ben.

Some on here?
    No hope!

I’ve lost all hope for sure.

198. Glovjuice says:

Jethro Tull: Lindros.

Well, after being with the team you silly good looking. Come on man.

199. BONE207 says:

That was a Megna hit….woohoo

200. SK Oiler Fan says:

BONE207: The current Oiler coaching has no fire under their asses. Tier 3 fans meanwhile have their retinas burnt out due to the Disorganization.

Souray scored 26 goals from the middle third of the ice. Also had Hemsky feeding him

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »