Connor McDavid is No. 3 in NHL scoring, a full 16 points behind the leader. He is eight points behind the leader in even-strength points. If 97 remains healthy for the final 20 games, how close will he get to Nikita Kucherov and Patrick Kane, respectively? This is going to be an interesting final stanza to the 2018-19 season.
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. Outstanding offer is here.
- New Lowetide: The Oilers’ deadline decisions inform what may come in spring and summer
- New James Mirtle: Five lessons the Oilers can learn from the Maple Leafs’ successful rebuild
- New Jonathan Willis: From Mikko Koskinen to Bakersfield, the next two months will reveal a lot about the Oilers
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: After bringing in Sam Gagner and shipping out Cam Talbot, Oilers stand pat on deadline day.
- Lowetide: Edmonton Oilers at the deadline: Buy, sell or both?
- Jonathan Willis: Jesse Puljujarvi needs a fresh start, but there’s no reason it can’t be in Edmonton
- Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.
- Lowetide: Are the 2018-19 Bakersfield Condors the best Edmonton Oilers affiliate ever?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘One of the best hockey games ever’: An oral history of the 2014 women’s Olympic gold-medal game.
- Lowetide: How can the Oilers successfully sell the new regime to a fan base that is openly angry?
- Jonathan Willis: Edmonton’s trade for Sam Gagner is a gamble well worth making.
- Jonathan Willis: Inside the success of the Bakersfield Condors, and what it means for Edmonton
- Lowetide: The Oilers sure have a lot of problems, but there is a simple solution.
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Keith Gretzky on the Oilers trade deadline plan, Andrej Sekera’s return and Jesse Puljujarvi’s season
- Lowetide: Oilers’ potential roster upheaval might set a record for summer activity
- Lowetide: It’s time for Oilers owner Daryl Katz to stand and deliver a winning organization.
- Jonathan Willis: An Oilers blueprint for the 2019 NHL free agency period
- Corey Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft midseason rankings
- Lowetide: Edmonton’s 2019 entry draft plans may change with new GM but needs are clear
- Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018
OILERS AFTER 63
- Oilers in 2015: 22-34-7, 51 points; goal differential -35
- Oilers in 2016: 33-22-8, 74 points; goal differential +11
- Oilers in 2017: 27-32-4, 58 points; goal differential -35
- Oilers in 2018: 26-29-7, 59 points; goal differential -23
OILERS IN FEBRUARY
- Oilers in February 2016: 2-10-1, five points; goal differential -23
- Oilers in February 2017: 6-6-0, 12 points; goal differential -1
- Oilers in February 2018: 5-7-1, 11 points; goal differential -4
- Oilers in February 2019: 3-5-4, 10 points; goal differential -10
WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY
- On the road to: Philadelphia, Montreal (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-2)
- At home to: Chicago (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
- On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 1-0-0)
- At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
- On the road to: Pittsburgh, Carolina, NY Islanders (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-3-0)
- At home to: Arizona, NY Islanders, Anaheim (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 2-0-1)
- On the road to: Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-1)
- Overall expected result: 7-6-1, 15 points in 14 games
- Current results: 3-5-4, 10 points in 12 games
We’re going to see some recalls between now and the end of the season, I thought it might be a good idea to make note of how much the Bakersfield Condors have helped so far this year. Let’s begin with the opening night lineup.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Connor McDavid—Ty Rattie
- Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Kailer Yamamoto
- Jujhar Khaira—Ryan Strome—Jesse Puljujarvi
- Tobias Rieder—Kyle Brodziak—Zack Kassian
- Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
- Darnell Nurse—Matt Benning
- Kris Russell—Evan Bouchard
- Cam Talbot (Mikko Koskinen)
- Scratches: Jason Garrison, Drake Caggiula, Alex Chiasson
RECALLS AND RESULTS 2018-19
- LD Caleb Jones 17, 1-5-6
- LD Kevin Gravel 35, 0-3-3
- RC Josh Currie 4, 1-0-1
- LC Brad Malone 10, 0-0-0
- RC Cooper Marody 6, 0-0-0
- R Patrick Russell 6, 0-0-0
- L Joe Gambardella 4, 0-0-0
Incredibly, few wingers have been recalled and perhaps that’s what we’ll see in the coming days. Yamamoto, Ethan Bear and William Lagesson are candidates, as are Tyler Benson, Gambardella, Marody and Russell.
- Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Leon Draisaitl
- Milan Lucic—RNH—Kailer Yamamoto
- Jussi Jokinen—Ryan Strome—Drake Caggiula
- Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian
- Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
- Darnell Nurse—Eric Gryba
- Kris Russell—Matt Benning
- Cam Talbot—Laurent Brossoit
- Yohann Auvitu, Iiro Pakarinen
RECALLS AND RESULTS 2017-18
- R Jesse Puljujarvi 65, 12-8-20
- L Anton Slepyshev 50, 6-6-12
- R Ty Rattie 14, 5-4-9
- RD Ethan Bear 18, 1-3-4
- LC Brad Malone 7, 0-0-0
- LD Keegan Lowe 2, 0-0-0
OILERS ROOKIE FORWARDS SINCE 2015
One of the things we’ll have to unwrap from the Chiarelli era is the large number of misfires among prospect wingers. Here are the rookie seasons by forwards since Connor McDavid arrived in 2015:
- Connor McDavid 2015-16: 45, 16-32-48
- Drake Caggiula 2016-17: 60, 7-11-18
- Iiro Pakarinen 2015-16: 63, 5-8-13
- Anton Slepyshev 2016-17: 41, 4-6-10
- Jesse Puljujarvi 2016-17: 28, 1-7-8
- Pontus Aberg 2017-18: 16, 2-6-8
- Kailer Yamamoto 2018-19: 17, 1-1-2
- Jujhar Khaira 2015-16: 15, 0-2-2
- Colby Cave 2018-19: 13, 0-1-1
- Josh Currie 2018-19: 4, 1-0-1
- Cooper Marody 2018-19: 6, 0-0-0
- Patrick Russell 2018-19: 6, 0-0-0
- Valentin Zykov 2018-19: 5, 0-0-0
- Joe Gambardella 2018-19: 4, 0-0-0
- Nathan Walker 2017-18: 2, 0-0-0
Some of those names are first-round selections and no one aside from McDavid has emerged bonafide. That’s a lot of failure and a key reason (imo) Peter Chiarelli is on the outside looking in. His “1994’s” did not survive.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, we tee up a major event (games in Toronto often become famous, you may recall the first Gretzky game, or the Dubnyk ‘swarm’ game) and an important game for the Oilers playoff chances. TSN1260, scheduled to appear:
- Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal. We’ll chat with Bruce about the history of Oilers-Leafs and what we might see tonight.
- Jon Campbell, OddsShark.com. We’ll talk post-deadline NHL and what betting lines have changed in the last week.
- Mike Zeisberger, NHL.com. The Maple Leafs are a power in the east, we’ll chat about the deadline and what expectations are and should be in Toronto.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!