COMPLETE NHLE

Any day now the Edmonton Oilers will sign a college or CHL free agent, and we’ll head over to the Barney Google like a pack of wolves in search of knowledge. We’ll all want to know how much offense he brings, same as we did the day Drake Caggiula was signed. I like to use NHL equivalency, a useful if flawed tool that allows us to put everyone on a straight line. Let’s have a look.

THE ATHLETIC

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Leon Draisaitl and the Oilers’ history of 50-goal seasons
  • New Jonathan Willis: Keith Gretzky is a legitimate Oilers GM candidate, but would be a hard sell in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can build a contender during Connor McDavid’s prime.
  • Lowetide: How the emergence of William Lagesson in Bakersfield complicates Edmonton’s 2019-20 depth chart.
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers aren’t good, but this group has more potential than teams from the decade of darkness
  • Lowetide: Bob Nicholson’s search continues for the Oilers new tomorrow, but at a leisurely pace.
  • Jonathan Willis: Potential GM candidates and why Edmonton needs to consider those with varied experiences
  • Lowetide: Identifying Oilers roster needs reveals a familiar list
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Leon Draisaitl has found ‘another level’ by matching offensive wizardry with sound positioning.
  • Lowetide: How many future NHL goal scorers are playing for the Bakersfield Condors this season?
  • Lowetide: The career destination for Oilers phenom Jesse Puljujarvi remains unknown.
  • Jonathan Willis: Learning from a flawed argument I made about Leon Draisaitl in 2016.
  • Black Dog Pat: How the Oilers can emerge from the Bob Pulford-like era they’re stuck in.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers’ deadline decisions inform what may come in spring and summer
  • Jonathan Willis: From Mikko Koskinen to Bakersfield, the next two months will reveal a lot about the Oilers
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects, Winter 2018

13. LW Evan Polei 8-8-16
  14. RC Tyler Vesel 4-10-14
  15. LW Graham McPhee 3-7-10
  16. RW J.D. Dudek 5-4-9
  17. LC Skyler Brind’Amour 3-6-9
  18. RC Aapeli Rasanen 5-2-7

I have everyone but Patrik Siikanen (can’t find an NHLE) listed here. I believe 30+ points represents a possible NHL player, so Edmonton has seven possibles. Unfortunately, Kailer Yamamoto isn’t one of them.

I think the four men listed here are the most likely to spend at least some time in the NHL next season, with Yamamoto, Gambardella and Russell also in the mix. Of course, the Oilers are going to be adding veteran NHL options this summer, so all four could be back in Bakersfield.

NHLE DEFENSE PROSPECTS

9. RD Michael Kesselring 3-7-10
  10. RD Filip Berglund 2-8-10
  11. RD John Marino 2-7-9
  12. RD Phil Kemp 3-4-7
  13. LD Matt Cairns 2-2-4
  14. LD Markus Niemelainen 1-3-4

Edmonton has seven defensemen in the queue and I will guess that makes a trade inevitable. Although Lagesson’s number isn’t as strong as some others, his performance since January 1 (28, 4-12-16) has an NHLE of 22.7. The Oilers strength in the system is on defense. They can’t play all of these guys, hopefully the new GM will choose wisely.

There are several impressive bets among the defensive prospects. An area of strength for sure. If have of these kids develop, they are going to be some big changes in the coming months.

I would love to see the Oilers have the luxury of playing Andrej Sekera with Evan Bouchard eventually. Or Persson, or Ethan Bear.

MCDAVID ASKING OUT?

This comes up every year the Oilers miss the playoffs (earth to management: make the playoffs!) and it’s ridiculous but out there. Pierre Lebrun said yesterday “my understanding is Connor McDavid is fully invested in turning this franchise around” and then talked about needing to fix the problem.

Here’s my take: Connor McDavid isn’t going to ask out any time soon, and if the owner can get his management team together (and not interfere) this becomes a non-story. The precedent I would draw is Rick Nash, who played nine regular seasons and four playoff games for Columbus.

I don’t see this as a Connor McDavid may want out problem, I see this as an Oilers problem. If ownership and management can’t fix it, you might see a large part of the fan base exit with 97.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we hit the ground running and charge for the weekend. TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. We’ll chat Oilers, Leafs and playoffs.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. McDavid and the future.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

117 Responses to "COMPLETE NHLE"

1. Moonlight says:

I wish I was confident that they won’t shoot themselves in the foot. How long do this management team group think people will blindly support this team?

I am not a Tier 1 fan, because I live in Ottawa. I watch it every game. I go see them when they’re in town. I buy jerseys and swag. I’ve been a fan since their second NHL season as an act of rebellion against my Leaf fan father lol. I’ve rooted for this team for close to the 40 years. I have to say it’s getting harder to root for them because of how they’re being run.

It’s beyond belief that this cycle of incompetence is allowed to continue. I’ve raised my girls as Oilers fans and not Ottawa Senators fans. They are 10 and 8 and even they can’t understand why their team is so bad year after year.

I have run out of things to say and we can only hope that someone finally gets it and does an honest assessment. Until then, Go Oilers Go!!!!!

2. jtblack says:

Without the addition of an Ehlers type and 1 quality 3rd liner; Edmonton’s F’s still dont have enough depth.

I see you dont have Russell in the mix. Good.

get rid of Manning as well.

Peter has left a mess. Fixable of course, but a mess none the Less

3. meanashell11 says:

Moonlight:
    I wish I was confident that they won’t shoot themselves in the he foot. How long do this management team group think people will blindly support this team?

I hear you. I have been a fan since their first season. I moved away in 1985 but have raised my kids as Oiler fans while spending serious time in Montreal (wife’s family all Habs fans. Had to put my foot down there!), then more than a decade in Toronto and now almost 20years in the US. They are still Oiler fans but man they suffer along with me. I feel sorry for them!

4. LMHF#1 says:

I was looking through some random Oilers stuff and came across the type of trade they haven’t made in years. Nobody since Sather has been able to do this sort of thing for the organization:

1997-Dec-30 Edmonton Oilers trade Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore and Bryan Marchment to Tampa Bay Lightning for Roman Hamrlik and Paul Comrie.

Brilliant. You take two prospects who are still young enough that people think “maybe”, plus a vet, and trade them for an excellent young vet who had a brief dip, and another prospect (and remember, Paul was very VERY good and likely would have had a long career if not for the injuries) who was younger and had potential.

Any of the GMs since would have held on hoping on Kelly and Bonsignore, and either lost them for nothing or traded them for 5th rounders.

5. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Western Conference Playoff Standings using Points Percentage shown as points over/under fake Bettman .500

Pacific

ANA -7
    LAK -12

Wildcard Relevant Games today:

VGK at DAL (VGK -145)
    ANA at COL (COL -200)

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Eastern Conference Playoff Standings using Points Percentage shown as points over/under fake Bettman .500

Atlantic

NJD -10
    DET -13
    OTT -17

Wildcard Relevant Games today:

CAR at CBJ (CBJ -130)

7. Jethro Tull says:

If Connor’s fully invested, then it should be Bobby calling Katz.

We can’t have has-beens and never-was involved in this team going forward.

We need progressive, inovative people. I don’t care where they come from. This is what the Oilers should be emulating. Concepts, not blueprints. These people will make their own paths.

But we’ll get the stereotypical old hockey men that know hockey. They’ll pay lip service and maybe hire a youngin’ or two, then ignore them then fire them when things don’t improve.

8. stush18 says:

Hey LT. Hope you’re well. Thought I’d swing by and check things out. I just don’t come around often anymore, things are too busy and twitter offers an easier and quicker method of access.

9. jtblack says:

TORONTO is in 6th place in the NHL. Their path to the Cup would look something Like this.

BOSTON – 4th place
    TAMPA – 1st place
    WASH – 5th place
    SAN JOSE – 2nd place

Hmmmm….. if somehow they do win or get to the Cup they certainly will have earned it

10. JimmyV1965 says:

It’s not McDavid we should worry about walking. It’s RNH.

11. Pescador says:

JimmyV1965:
    It’s not McDavid we should worry about walking. It’s RNH.

Hmmm, I don’t like the sounds of that.
    Is $7 x 7 too much?
    Depends on who you ask I guess

12. giddy says:

LMHF#1:

1997-Dec-30Edmonton Oilers trade Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore and Bryan Marchment to Tampa Bay Lightning for Roman Hamrlik and Paul Comrie.

That was just Sather robbing a team blind. Hamrlik was a stud back then.

That would be like trading Hebig, Bear and Kassian for Dougie Hamilton and Morgan Geekie. No idea how you swindle any of today’s GMs into doing a trade like that, who aren’t name Chiarelli.

13. Oylerz says:

John Shannon also brought up the “how long until Connor wants out?” trope recently. It’s old and it’s tiresome. They act as though it’s the first time an elite player has played multiple seasons without making the playoffs. I like your Nash example, but also Lemieux’s Penguins missed the playoffs his first 4 seasons and then again in his 6th. Joe Sakic’s Nordiques only made the playoffs twice in 7 years (missing the first 4 years also) and lost in the first round both times.

I don’t see in Connor the type that will go to management and say “I want out”. He is a character guy. These Toronto media guys can wish for it all they want, but Connor is not just waiting for the first opportunity to go back to Toronto.

14. JimmyV1965 says:

Pescador: Hmmm, I don’t like the sounds of that.
    Is $7 x 7 too much?
    Depends on who you ask I guess

I just can’t see him signing here at all if the team continues to suck for two years. It’s a tough call for the new GM. RNH can sign next July. If he doesn’t sign then, I think you trade him for sure, while he still has a full year in his contract. If the team decides on a slow rebuild, it probably makes the most sense to trade him this summer while there’s still two years on his deal. Sucks that it has come to this.

15. giddy says:

Oylerz:

I don’t see in Connor the type that will go to management and say “I want out”. He is a character guy. These Toronto media guys can wish for it all they want, but Connor is not justwaiting for the first opportunity to go back to Toronto.

Yep. It’s just media being media–gotta sell clicks to generate revenue to make shareholders happy.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Obviously the NHLe for d-men isn’t all that indicative of potential NHL careers – for example, a guy like Phil Kemp is an afterthought with respect to NHLe but he has developed in to a real prospect, a long-term development path required but a real prospect.

Of course, the two-way games of guys like Lagesson and Samorukov are under-represented in the NHLe.

Also, once must always factor in age.

17. stush18 says:

I’ve been looking forward towards next years team, and I gotta day, I don’t see any quick solutions out of this mess. The year after things should start popping.

If we assume Mcdavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson are locks to return, and we are unable to move from Lucic or Sekera, we have 7 roster spots filled.

Now who out of our remaining players are likely to be returning? On FWD I think Kassian, Juhjar, Currie are good candidates to return. On D I think it’s more than likely you’ll see Nurse return. That’s 10/18 regular spots filled.

Now the tricky parts.
    Can you move from Russell? I would. Does Gagner provide enough value at his contract, or is he just tugging on our heartstrings? Do you bring back Chiasson, and at what price? Is Reider a good “sign-low” candidate, or is it foolhardy signing someone with no goals? What happens with Jesse? I think it would be foolish to move on, but hip surgery is not something to joke about.

This team needs to allocate salary from the back end towards the FWDs. If you could delete Russell salary from the team, without taking on a negative, I would. I think the goal would be to move him this summer.

Can Matt Benning be flipped with an asset to acquire a better dman? It’s not that I think we should move on from Benning, I just think we have players from below who can replace his minutes from below.

I think we are a year away from making a step forward, and next year needs to start taking steps towards reallocating salary. There’s some good ideas floating around (trade Gagner tin OTT to buyout, and then resign him cheap) that a forward thinking gm could pull off.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Clearly Matt Benning at 2RD isn’t something to be relied on going in to the season (we’ve been fooled twice) and that position remains a priority – 2 year stop gap – so that Sekera can indeed play an anchor/mentor role on a 3rd pairing that will be with Benning but will likely also see alot of rookie.

I see Russell absence from the list – a clean disposition for cap space in the name of a short-term stop-gap upgrade at 2RD would be sublime!

19. ArmchairGM says:

Are those NHLe figures age-adjusted? If not, I would suggest that Yamamoto’s 26 has more future value than Currie’s 30, for instance.

20. leadfarmer says:

How long until Eichel wants out?
    Oh its Buffalo so no one cares

21. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:

I wonder if Russell would have Colorado on his trade list. There could be a fit there.

22. DBO says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’ll keep beating the Justin Faulk drum. 1 year placeholder, fills the need we have as a RH dman who can run a PP. He is owed $6 million cash for a $4.8 cap hit, so Carolina may be happy to celar his dollars and may not want too much back.

Move Russell, replace with Faulk. Add 1 top 6 winger via trade or free agency and with internal growth we have a shot at playoffs without killing our cap.

23. fifthcartel says:

ArmchairGM,

I wonder about Vancouver or Montreal.

24. ArmchairGM says:

Question for the community: who has the higher ceiling, Calev Jones or Dmitri Samorukov?

Stats from draft+2 season:

CJ 63, 9-53-62 +3 0.98
    DS 58, 10-34-44 +37 0.76

Samorukov plays on a better team (does that inflate the +/-?) in a better league (does that explain his lower point totals?). Both are average size guys with fluid skating and some offense.

Thoughts?

25. JOFA says:

jtblack,

You mean Peter and Keith have left a ness

stush18:

No worries, Stush, thanks for popping in!

27. who says:

fifthcartel:
    ArmchairGM,

I wonder about Vancouver or Montreal.

Montreal needs him but I doubt he wants to go there.
    Vancouver Is an interesting option, especially if they don’t re-sign Edler. Problem with that thinking is that Vancouver is building a team with a very small defense. Stetcher, Biega, Hughes, etc. If I was Benning I’d be nervous about adding another one. Still think you need some size back there.
    Colorado has Girard, Cole, Zadorov and Nemeth on the left side. Not sure they have a need there.
    Summary- Russell will be hard to move this summer. Still think Benning is more likely to go. Smaller contract, shoots right, no trade restrictions, etc.

28. Buddy says:

JimmyV1965:
    It’s not McDavid we should worry about walking. It’s RNH.

I think the chances of Nuge and Larsson being Oilers in October 2021 aren’t zero, but they’re closer to zero than to 100. Pretty much everything depends on who Nicholson and his ace advisors hire in the coming weeks.

29. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Would you be able to get Shattenkirk from NYR? Unlikely he waived.
    What about Green from DET?
    What about CBJ and Savard?

30. Bad Seed says:

Jethro Tull:
    If Connor’s fully invested, then it should be Bobby calling Katz.

We can’t have has-beens and never-was involved in this team going forward.

Here’s the thing I’ve always wondered. We all know that when the Oilers won the McDavid lottery, that there were directives they had to clean up their act. I wonder if Orr wasn’t in their ear then advising them to strongly consider Pistol Pete – Boston connections and all. Would explain why there wasn’t much of a GM search.

31. Pescador says:

JimmyV1965: I just can’t see him signing here at all if the team continues to suck for two years. It’s a tough call for the new GM. RNH can sign next July.If he doesn’t sign then, I think you trade him for sure, while he still has a full year in his contract. If the team decides on a slow rebuild, it probably makes the most sense to trade him this summer while there’s still two years on his deal. Sucks that it has come to this.

Nah, I’m not ready to concede that just yet.
    Sucks missing the playoffs again but we’re not tearing it down again like Ottawa.
    Oilers will make the playoffs next year but just barely.
    That will cure alot of ails.
    Speaking of Ale’s, I’m off to my friend’s garage to cook up some Home’n Breu (brow)
    Possibly some sampling.

32. JimmyV1965 says:

leadfarmer:
    How long until Eichel wants out?
    Oh its Buffalo so no one cares

33. ArmchairGM says:

stush18: Looking around the league, at teams that can afford to move a RH dman, you obviously come to a team like CAR and Pesce. I wonder if Yamamoto and Benning is enough for them. It should be. Faulk would likely cost less.

Would you be able to get Shattenkirk from NYR? Unlikely he waived.
    What about Green from DET?
    What about CBJ and Savard?

Not nearly enough for Pesce. Would TVR be a good enough stop-gap guy?

Jared Spurgeon is another name for your list. MN seems to have its head up its ass right now too, so it might be a good time to buy low.

34. Professor Q says:

JimmyV1965: Nice post. Of course Eichel wasn’t born and raised in Toronto. Only players born in the centre of the universe want to go home. And of course only superstars want out of a shit show. Players who are merely really really good will put up with crap their entire career.

Unless you explicitly state that you don’t want to go home, like Patrick Kane with Buffalo and Kevin Durant with Washington. Well, then people care the opposite way, I suppose (traitor!).

35. JimmyV1965 says:

Would you be able to get Shattenkirk from NYR? Unlikely he waived.
    What about Green from DET?
    What about CBJ and Savard?

I think we should look at Van Riemsdyk. There’s almost no chance they trade Pesce and Faulk will be a lot more expensive. I would even consider looking at McKeown. The guy just keeps getting it done in the minors and I think he has to pass through waivers next year.

36. Oilman99 says:

Would you be able to get Shattenkirk from NYR? Unlikely he waived.
    What about Green from DET?
    What about CBJ and Savard?

Shattenkirk has been a healthy scratch for NYR, and Green is ageing out,don’t see an upgrade with either of these guys.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

ArmchairGM: Not nearly enough for Pesce. Would TVR be a good enough stop-gap guy?

Spurgeon would be really really interesting. Only one year left on his deal. Edmonton boy.

38. Durag says:

@Bob_Stauffer

Lucic-McDavid-Kassian
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Khaira-RNH-Gagner
    Currie-Cave-Rattie
    Malone-Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning
    Gravel-Petrovic

Koskinen
    Stolarz

So now we can’t even have Leon going for 50 and Connor making an improbable run at defending the Art Ross? 🙁

39. OmJo says:

Durag:
    @Bob_Stauffer

Lucic-McDavid-Kassian
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Khaira-RNH-Gagner
    Currie-Cave-Rattie
    Malone-Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning
    Gravel-Petrovic

Koskinen
    Stolarz

Lose for Hughes is official, folks…

40. ArmchairGM says:

OmJo: Lose for Hughes is official, folks…

Wacko for Kakko.

41. digger50 says:

I read somewhere a couple weeks ago that if Rieder took a few more unsuccessful shots he would hold the NHL record for most shots on goal in a season with zero goals.

Hey, don’t say the Oilers never win anything.

42. doritogrande says:

Anyone else wondering why we’re allowed to have a 24 man roster?

43. oilersfan says:

WHile there is no doubt the Oilers deserve substantial blame for the handling of JP, it is apparent now that the first year of burning the first year of his ELC was a pre- arranged agreement between Chiarelli and JP’s family/agent. Stauffer said a few weeks ago that if the Oilers didnt play him in the NHL enough to burn that ELC and pay him actual NHL money he would stay in Finland where Jokerit had offered him $1 million USD tax free. The Oilers were likely worried he would excel there and be enticed to stay so agreed to the ask. In hindsight it likely would have been worth the risk for him to stay there but one must admit that was a risky move, too, as he could have waited a few years and re-entered the draft could he not? Either way, much of the insistence on leaving him in the NHL i beleive was financial related and something the agent had demanded in a handshake way, as in the AHL he would have made 10% of his NHL salary and less than 10% of what he would have made in the KHL. So what was best for his development was not what was best for his financial life and between himm, his agents and his parents that what was insisted on.

While the Oilers deserve to be criticized for this i dont think it was all their fault. That was a valuable asset that had a powerful bargaining chip to stay in Finland.

(Quote) (Reply)

44. stush18 says:

Oilman99,

JimmyV1965,

I think you look at Green and Shattenkirk as Stop gaps, who bring established puck moving abilities. You’re not looking long term, and they might come cheaper.

I can’t see Pesce or Faulk costing more than Benning and Yamamoto. And their were reports that they were looking to move him instead of Faulk for some reason. Also not sure what’s up with Hamilton.

I don’t think TVR is much of an upgrade over Benning. If that’s the case I’d move Benning for Brown and just acquire TVR for a lesser cost.

Totally forgot about Spurgeon. And you’re right, that might be a good candidate to grab. They’re all backwards right now. Wonder if you could swing something for Rask as well. They don’t look happy with him.

45. Nit64 says:

digger50:

Hey, don’t say the Oilers never win anything.

If that’s a season record, he has to reach the shot count and go the rest of the season without scoring. Doable.

For the predictions I’ll take him for a 1st period goal in the Coyotes game 😉

46. Jethro Tull says:

oilersfan,

If true, maybe Columbus GM got wind of it. JP was ranked higher but CBJ needed a center. This could have tipped the decision to pick Dubois. Not much drop off in skill, but isn’t going to hold the team ransome. “Play me and pay me or lose your 4ov and see how that looks in the media.”

47. Reja says:

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning
    Gravel-Petrovic

Koskinen
    Stolarz

– I actually think this is the template for the team going forward

– 3Cs each on their own line Healthy Jar has Chen with Nuge. Kassian fine with McD

– You basically rinse and repeat this untill the Kailer Pool FA kids etc can play with skill

– Drai has shown promise as a C on his own line. Nuge as 3c is huge

– It shouldn’t be about padding scoring for McD and Drai rather letting them C their own

49. Oilin4 says:

A couple people have posted about their personal story with the Oilers. I have twin 9 year olds and a 5 year old. My 9 year olds were all over the playoff run two years ago and I thought I’d finally converted them. This season they just trash talk me for my illogical love. I’ve lost this bond and it angers me.

My five year old (god bless his innocence) for no good reason other than being 5 is a die hard fan. Every time my Flames fans parents come over he plays the McDavid song and parades around the house trash talking them through song and dance. Nobody has the heart to fire back at him with, you know, a picture of the current standings. I’m taking him to the Kings game so I can enjoy his innocence before he also loses interest. I’m hoping this team will turn it around so I don’t lose his loyalty as well, but I’m not optimistic. If I lose it too, my anger will be seething, and I doubt this team will ever get my love back.

Edit: Anyone lurking for the Oilers organization should take notice of the helplessness amongst most fans, and general apathy for this team amongst school-aged kids. I don’t remember seeing so many jerseys and shirts of non-Edmonton teams in elementary schools when I was a kid.

50. JimmyV1965 says:

oilersfan:

(Quote)(Reply)

51. pts2pndr says:

jtblack:

I see you dont have Russell in the mix.Good.

get rid of Manning as well.

Peter has left a mess.Fixable of course, but a mess none the Less

The mess he left is far superior to the one he inherited.

52. Bank Shot says:

Moonlight:

The Oilers know they will be feeling the crunch this season.

They are offering a lottery to season tickets holders giving away a bunch of prizes which they haven’t done before.

I think there is going to be a steep drop off in renewals.

53. Oilin4 says:

Bank Shot: The Oilers know they will be feeling the crunch this season.

I think there is going to be a steep drop off in renewals.

If you thought Katzy was pissed when they didn’t make the playoffs…. or when resales (and their associated commission) were going as low as $15….

54. ck27 says:

Regarding Katz, given the way he’s run this organization since he took over, the only thing that makes sense to me is that although I’m sure he’d love to win a Cup, he would love much more to win a Cup with ex-Oilers in the fold. And that will always be the problem.

55. Oilin4 says:

I think I heard on the broadcast that the Oilers have 10 wins in overtime. If that’s correct, and we have 7 OTLs and a 3-2 SO record, it means our record breaks down like this:

18 regulation wins
    10 overtime wins
    3 shootout wins
    32 regulation losses
    5 overtime losses
    2 shootout losses

IF that numbers is accurate, we are 18-32-20 in regulation. But let’s just promote the AGM. That’ll fix it.

Postscript: Ottawa has 19 regulation wins this season.

56. Reja says:

Jethro Tull:
    oilersfan,

57. lenko says:

Reja: I liked the Curtis Joseph and mike Grier trade even better in 95 for Corson. Sather was such a shrewd prick back then most of the GM’s were intimated by him.

Love affairs?

58. pts2pndr says:

ArmchairGM:

When I first viewed Yamamoto Safin and Maksimov at the Penticton Youngs Stars tournament my feeling was of these three players Yamamoto could end up number 3. The skill sets of the other two are more relevant to todays game and our current team. I can see Safin if he gets and stays healthy. Maksimov is a goal scorer and shooter something we drastically need. Yamamoto as an NHL player has to play top six the other two could forge a carreer in the bottom six. The year these players was drafted we also got Samorukov. A very solid draft!

59. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Oilin4:

18 regulation wins
    10 overtime wins
    3 shootout wins
    32 regulation losses
    5 overtime losses
    2 shootout losses

Postscript: Ottawa has 19 regulation wins this season.

That is grim.

#FIRETHEMALL

60. pts2pndr says:

Would you be able to get Shattenkirk from NYR? Unlikely he waived.
    What about Green from DET?
    What about CBJ and Savard?

61. jp says:

giddy: That was just Sather robbing a team blind. Hamrlik was a stud back then.

It was a robbing, but it was far more like Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Benning for Hamilton and someone you’ve never heard of.

Kelly and Bonsignore were 2 and 3 yrs out from being drafted 6th and 4th. On the other side, Comrie had been picked 224th the previous year.

Sather was right obviously, but it’s not like he gave up junk to get Hamrlik.

62. Georgexs says:

I don’t think Nash is a comp for CMD. Just not the same kind of talents. And, to me, “played nine regular seasons and four playoff games” doesn’t sound nice at all.

Heatley’s a wee bit closer on scoring but he had more going on personally. And I’m not sure winning and legacy were the most important considerations for him.

Ovechkin would be even closer but Ovie’s Caps at least showed strong in the regular season and always made the playoffs. There was a reason to believe every fall and every spring.

McDavid asking out?

I guess it’s ridiculous because how often do great players ask to be traded? Lindros, Pronger… hmm… I’m out.

Google gives me this:

The Lemieux and Sakic comps from Oylerz are interesting. All-time greats who had to wait. But if you look at the rosters of their Cup winning teams… those were pretty good rosters. Recchi, Stevens, Francis, Jagr, Coffey, Murphy, Mullen. And Sakic had Forsberg, Ozolnish, Kamensky, Ricci, Deadmarsh, Lemieux. OK, wait, that doesn’t seem like much depth. How’d the Avalanche win? Oh yeah, they picked up one of the guys on that list who asked for a trade out of town. An all-time great.

CMD should be an all-time great. But hockey being the way it is, all-time greats need lots of support to put their names on the Cup. CMD is so good, if he was on the roster of any playoff team this year (switch their 1C with CMD), that team would be a threat to win it all (maybe not ARI and DAL).

Having said that, I don’t think there are any overnight sensations among the playoff teams this season. They all took a while to build. That, and the state of our org’s forward depth, has to make everyone think, including CMD.

The clock may be a little ahead of where you think it is. I think it’s about an hour ahead.

63. Woodguy v2.0 says:

doritogrande:
    Anyone else wondering why we’re allowed to have a 24 man roster?

Teams have no limit on roster size after the trade deadline.

Just have to be under the cap.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m sure this has been posted but I haven’t had a chance to review comments.

I’m sure Lucic at 1LW is going over well.

Amazing how the forwards get blended period by period but the refusal to change that 2nd pairing:

Lucic-McDavid-Kassian
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Khaira-RNH-Gagner
    Currie-Cave-Rattie
    Malone-Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning
    Gravel-Petrovic

Koskinen
    Stolarz

65. JimmyV1965 says:

pts2pndr: For Pesce i would do Yamamoto Benning and throw in a second round draft pick in 2020 if that is what it took.

66. Jethro Tull says:

Reja: From what I remember Dubois was not NHL ready and everyone new it.JP and Tkachuk were if not Darn close. we just traded hall and signed Lucic they thought JP was gonna step in immediately and make a impact.Pete the gunslinger Gambled on it.

CBJ picked ahead of us. JP ranked 3rd. Pete had a deal for the 4th and Drai for Subban. At the time, that would have been an OK deal, but not now in hindsight. The story goes once CBJ picked Dubois, Pete didn’t even wait to tell them the deal was off. Basically ran to the podium shouting “tramampoline!”

67. gregsaint says:

“Edmonton Oilers defenceman Brandon Manning is being healthy scratched…. by the Bakersfield Condors.

The Oilers are now paying the guy who injured Connor McDavid $2.5 million to sit in the press box of AHL arenas.

Drake Caggiula is averaging over 14 minutes a night with the Blackhawks.

This is peak Oilers.”

Is this for realzies? FFS.

Looks like Caggiula is out with a concussion at the moment – flattened by Rakell

68. oilsnc79 says:

Moonlight,

Moonlight,

Moonlight, I’m in the same boot. Sault Ste. Marie fan. Utter disaster

69. Wilde says:

Emmanuel Perry’s NHLe work provided a factor for the Jr. A SM-Liiga that Siikanen plays in.

fenwicka.com/shiny/draft_app/ went down when Corsica did, so a lot of the NHLe’s are kind of scattered around the internet.

Remember, these NHLe’s are found through a separate process and speak a separate language compared to classical Vollman/Desjardins NHLe factors. If you want a quick primer on how they’re different in their goals and processes, go to my blog and look at the post about the scouting vs math in the 2019 draft.

Here’s some that I had saved for my own work. I’m just copy-pasting from my notepad doc bc I’m busy today, so they’re jumbled.

USHL -> 0.09

NLA -> 0.46
    Norway -> 0.17

OHL -> 0.16
    WHL -> 0.15
    QMJHL -> 0.13

70. Woodguy v2.0 says:

pts2pndr: The mess he left is far superior to the one he inherited.

I can read “superior” to mean his mess is less that he inherited.

I can read “superior” to mean his mess is more than he inherited.

Which did you mean?

71. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JimmyV1965: There is no one in our organization outside McDavid and Drai that will get us Pesce. It’s jhst not happening. On a team loaded with dmen, he might be the best of the bunch and he’s signed for $4 mill for another five years after this season.

Yeah, if you want to know what Pesce’s value is think “Klefbom, then add a bit”

….
    ….
    ….

*puts on sunglasses*

“So you’d have to add in the rights to Omark”

YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

72. Ribs says:

Durag: Lucic-McDavid-Kassian
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Khaira-RNH-Gagner

Good lord. Top three left wingers have 8 goals on the year…Combined.

Maybe this team has in fact overachieved this season.

73. giddy says:

I realize Spittin Chiclets might not be some of you guys’ cup of tea, but they did speak to some interesting stuff with having Teddy Purcell on, who is now working for Adam Oates and running drills. They all spoke to how there are guys in the league who are athletic freaks and do well, and there are guys who are hockey smart and do well, just based off of shear processing the game faster. The cerebral players.

Sekera reminds me a lot of the latter. Not the best skater, not the biggest or strongest guy, but makes the proper decisions and quickly, which is why he’s able to come back so quick from injury rather than falling off a cliff after coming back from pretty well a year and a half of brutal leg injuries in his early 30s.

I worry a lot Nurse is the former, through and through. The guys on the pod also spoke to how the purely athletic guys are the ones that suddenly fall of the metaphorical cliffs. Obviously Nurse’s isn’t for awhile at barely 24, but I’d be weary of him if he suffers any sort of significant injury.

74. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, if you want to know what Pesce’s value is think “Klefbom, then add a bit”

….
    ….
    ….

*puts on sunglasses*

“So you’d have to add in the rights to Omark”

YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Wait up Horatio, that only gets us Shea Weber.

75. Justthestatsman says:

Ribs: Good lord. Top three left wingers have 8 goals on the year…Combined.

Maybe this team has in fact overachieved this season.

Hey, it’s not THAT bad. If you add in the 4LW they hit double digits!

pts2pndr: The mess he left is far superior to the one he inherited.

No. Chiarelli inherited a team without cap troubles. He inherited the McDavid draft pick (plus #15 and #31), Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Draisaitl, Schultz, Klefbom, Nurse, Pitlick. Plus Nelson as coach.

I’d take the mess Chiarelli inherited over the one he left.

77. Side says:

godot10: No.Chiarelli inherited a team without cap troubles.He inherited the McDavid draft pick (plus #15 and #31), Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Draisaitl, Schultz, Klefbom, Nurse, Pitlick.Plus Nelson as coach.

I’d take the mess Chiarelli inherited over the one he left.

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel with the Schultz and Pitlick inclusion.

Pitlick has 10 points this season…

78. LMHF#1 says:

And the Oilers’ GM was the one taking advantage of a situation on another team.

If you’d like to know why a bunch of us get riled when the Oilers miss these boats…it’s because Sather used to be right in the mix!

79. New Improved Darkness says:

That moment when you’re seated at the local repertory theatre for a late night showing of The Bourne Ultimatum (or so you thought when you bought the tickets, but who really cares which one), and ten minutes in, your companion leans in your direction and whispers “have we seen this one before?”

Of course we have.

80. ArmchairGM says:

giddy:

Could be. Ride him like a rented mule until he’s 30 then trade him for maximum return.

81. Darth Tu says:

Georgexs:

McDavid asking out?

Google gives me this:

the Avalanche also had Roy, the best goalie of his generation.

EDIT – who I just realised you were talking about. Lol.

82. Reja says:

Georgexs:

McDavid asking out?

Google gives me this:

Pronger loved it here. It was special circumstances.

83. Reja says:

ck27:

84. Reja says:

LMHF#1: And the Oilers’ GM was the one taking advantage of a situation on another team.

Pete tried his vision and it failed. I hope the next GM is on the ball and wins his first couple of trades and most importantly we win a cup before Calgary or any other Canadian city.

85. Durag says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I actually think this is the template for the team going forward

– You basically rinse and repeat this untill the Kailer Pool FA kids etc can playwith skill

– Drai has shown promise as a C on his own line. Nuge as 3c is huge

I agree that this should be the template going forward. However, with the current group of wingers this has “panic and put Drai and McDavid together when we’re down 2 in the 3rd” written all over it.

86. Munny says:

I have problems with using NHLe when comparing individuals from different cohorts.

It’s a somewhat tenuous leap to extrapolate a group’s performance to an individual’s, but it does tell us given the assumption of group average performance, where the individual lies within that group.

As for comparing among Leagues, the sample sizes for some Leagues could be pretty tiny.

Add into that different age cohorts and I do wonder about how much truth NHLE gives us.

I’d certainly feel more comfortable if we were using something like “All 20 yos from the AHL over the past, say, 5 years” to compare 20 yos from the AHL.

But I guess it depends on how accurate we want the predictive nature of this tool to be.

87. Munny says:

Adding a couple of pro wingers seems impossible without divesting Lucic’s contract.

I’d be giving OTT their choice between MacLeod and Yamamoto.

I love both prospects, but the cap space is valuable, and needed, right now..

88. Munny says:

New Improved Darkness: Every time there’s any mention of Treadstone, there’s a subliminal neuralyzer flash projected to partially scramble your recollection; don’t worry about it—it’s all part of the show.

Ha!

You’re on the road to Gandolfo, bro.

89. Georgexs says:

Several folks on here, including of course LT himself, are very knowledgeable about drafting.

My draft knowledge needs work.

I’m going to start with TBL to see how they got so darn good. I have questions if anyone has answers. I’m looking at some of the forwards in their current lineup.

1. Kucherov 2011 Rd 2 #58, 5.11 (height)

Kucherov played 8 games in the KHL in his draft year and had 2 assists. In his draft+1, he was still in the KHL, 18 games, 4 points. He was in the QMJHL the next year, 63 points in 33 games. Started in the AHL the following season: 24 points in 17 games. Called up the same year, put up 18 points in 52 games.

Did everyone just know or is he a surprise? Did TBL get lucky or did they know something? I can’t see anything in the early (pre-draft) numbers.

2. Ondrej Palat 2011 Rd 7 #208, 6.00

96 points in 61 games in his draft year. (QMJHL). First full year in AHL, 30 points in 61 games. 52 points in 56 games the following year. Called up in the same year, scored 4 points in 14 games. First full season in the NHL, 59 points in 81 games.

Why did 96 points in 61 games get drafted in Rd 7? Don’t numbers like that suggest above average skill?

3. Tyler Johnson, undrafted, signed 2011, 5.08

In his last season in the WHL, he scored 115 points in 71 games. Scores 133 points in 137 games in the AHL. First full season in the NHL 50 points in 82 games.

Wikipedia says he was undrafted because of size? Was Yzerman just ahead of the curve by selecting on scoring over anything else?

4. Brayden Point 2014 Rd3 #79, 5.10

91 points in 72 games in the WHL in his draft year. Short stint in AHL followed by a final year in WHL, 88 points in 48 games. 40 points in 68 games in his first season in the NHL.

90. Nit64 says:

Georgexs: Why such a late pick? TBL themselves whiffed on their 3 prior picks (1 1st rd, 2 2nd rd).

They forgot to read LT that year 😉

#46 C Brayden Point—Outstanding playmaker, gritty undersized F. NHLE: 82, 12-19-31 on fast gun.

91. frjohnk says:

Nit64: They forgot to read LT that year

I remember him in jr when I went to a few Blades games when he was with the Warriors, he was fast and skilled. Looked pretty small

New Improved Darkness:

Of course we have.

I have a helluva time remembering the order, but have to say that winsome French girl in one of them is close enough to perfect.

93. ArmchairGM says:

Munny:

I’d be giving OTT their choice between MacLeod and Yamamoto.

I love both prospects, but the cap space is valuable, and needed, right now..

It’s not impossible at all. You simply need to divest Russell instead.

94. McSorley33 says:

I’m sure Lucic at 1LW is going over well.
    Lucic-McDavid-Kassian
    Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
    Khaira-RNH-Gagner
    Currie-Cave-Rattie
    Malone-Brodziak
    Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning
    Gravel-Petrovic
    Koskinen
    Stolarz
    ****************************************************************************************

Milan Lucic AND Tobias Rieder in the top 6?

This is the Edmonton Oilers.

95. Alpine says:

Georgexs,

Palat was an older player in his draft year. ’91 birthdate drafted in a year of ’93s. His late selection makes some sense.

Johnson, same sort of thing. Didn’t score 100 points until he was the CHL definition of an overager, playing in the league as a 20 year old. Classic late bloomer. Though, lots of guys like him who have blown the doors off at 19/20 and then went nowhere.

With Kucherov, yeah KHLers don’t usually go that high, especially if they don’t play or score much. Tarasneko and Kuznetsov went mid-late first. TB just made the right gamble. Seems like a good spot to pick KHLers since their GP sample size can carry some risk to pick higher in the draft.

I cannot figure out Point lasting that long. Those are first round quality numbers easily. Small guys that score like that still fall a bit but they usually go late first, early second round.

My conclusion with Tampa is that they’re decent at drafting and scouting but man, have to think there’s some luck involved with how those guys turned out.

Though to their credit, a strong development system is likely what made the difference there. They didn’t rush any of those guys, and the guys they did rush like Connolly and Drouin took longer to come good.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G. recalled from Bakersfield – if they are going to call anyone up, that is likely the right call.

This will hurt the Condors though – I hope they send Malone back to substitute – why wouldn’t they?

This leaves them with 1 more call-up.

97. Bruce McCurdy says:

LMHF#1:

I dunno, Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch, & Jeff Woywitka for Chris F. Pronger was a helluva deal.

98. Bos8 says:

OriginalPouzar:

This leaves them with 1 more call-up.

Replace Rieder with Gambardella, have him forecheck and challenge same as on the Condors. Instant results.

If they half ass him, no results

99. pts2pndr says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can read “superior” to mean his mess is less that he inherited.

I can read “superior” to mean his mess is more than he inherited.

Which did you mean?

I think the minor league system is better he has three top four D and three top six forwards. He has three top four D and the same number of top six forwards plus a much better farm team than he inherited. He does leave two contract problems in Lucic and aurguably Russel. People are quick to forget that the deadly duo of MacTavish and Eakins had so devalued the roster that it took a unbalanced trade of Hall to acquire a first pairing RD. The loss of two high draft choices for a ex oil king that couldn’t make the NHL should be correctly layed at the feet of so called experts he inherited to help him. I know that mistakes were made by Chiarelli but I also believe it is over simplistic to lay it all at his feet. It is why I believe there needs to be a few more heads roll before the bleeding will stop!

100. Justthestatsman says:

Bruce McCurdy,

It sure was. I remember opening the TSN website to see the news. That was a great day, in spite of how it all ended a year later.

101. Bruce McCurdy says:

Oilin4:

18 regulation wins
    10 overtime wins
    3 shootout wins
    32 regulation losses
    5 overtime losses
    2 shootout losses

Postscript: Ottawa has 19 regulation wins this season.

Not accurate. The Oilers have 10 wins in gimmick time this year, 7 of which came in overtime & 3 in the shootout. They have 21 wins in regulation

Overall they are 21-32-17 in regulation, 7-5-5 in overtime, 3-2 in the shootout.

Of their 7 overtime goals, Draisaitl has 3-3-6 & McDavid 2-3-5, with all of the assists being primaries for both men. Only the first OT win of the year — Nurse (RNH) in the big comeback in Winnipeg — didn’t involve Leon in the decisive play.

102. Reja says:

Justthestatsman:
    Bruce McCurdy,

It sure was.I remember opening the TSN website to see the news.That was a great day, in spite of how it all ended a year later.

Then signing Peca and then a big announcement outdoors with microphones and Peca and Pronger saying how happy they were to be playing in Edmonton.

103. Woodguy v2.0 says:

pts2pndr: I think the minor league system is better he has threetop four D and three top six forwards. He has three top four D and the same number of top six forwards plus a much better farm team than he inherited. He does leave two contract problems in Lucic and aurguably Russel. People are quick to forget that the deadly duo of MacTavish and Eakins had so devalued the roster that it took a unbalanced trade of Hall to acquire a first pairing RD. The loss of two high draft choices for a ex oil king that couldn’tmake the NHL should be correctly layed at the feet of so called experts he inherited to help him. I know that mistakes were made by Chiarelli but I also believe it is over simplistic to lay it all at his feet. It is why I believe there needs to be a few more heads roll before the bleeding will stop!

EDM has way less assets and cap space today than they had in June 2015

104. Scungilli Slushy says:

giddy:

I always like hearing how former players who aren’t obvious TV shills see things.

As for Sekera’s skating, many keep saying he’s not a good skater, but he is. He has excellent stop starts and edges, he stays on players far better than most on the Oilers and also make turns to gain space effectively on forecheckers. Like Nuge.

He’s not Karlsson rushing the puck, but most aren’t.

Weak skating (for the NHL) is a lack of first steps or accelerating to gain a gap, poor turns which is killer for D, and having a low top speed.

Add to that lower game sense and she bad.

105. OriginalPouzar says:

doritogrande:
    Anyone else wondering why we’re allowed to have a 24 man roster?

No roster limit after the trade deadline (although a team is only allowed 4 non-emergency call-ups after the deadline – they’ve now used 3 on Malone, Currie and Joe G.).

106. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: I think a smart team would have encouraged him to play in Finland, rather than come over here. Oilers were not in a position of weakness.

107. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Jesse could have signed his ELC, with the max bonuses like he received, and still went and played in FIN for the apparent $1M – is contract would have slid so he wouldn’t have burned the year but he would have got his money and there would be no worry of him not signing within 2 years and losing his rights.

The Oilers make everything seem so hard to do.

It isn’t if you can make normal decisions.

The points above about Tampa are a perfect example. Like Detroit, they aren’t geniuses, they just aren’t stupid and try to maximize what they ‘do’ have.

So when you get lucky itvamps the whole thing up.

The oilers get lucky too, but they destroy so much value in hubris and attitude problems their luck only keeps nose above water, as in the team is still actually in Edmonton.

Piss poor, so much easy fruit to pick if ego can be put aside and taking care of fans and players could happen.

One advantage to a public traded structure (TO) everything is vetted. But its better to be private and turn on a dime when an advantage shows itself.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

Won’t be able to provide more real time prospect updates this weekend as I’m out of town and got things going on. Don’t worry, I’m not happy about it either.

Will aggregate it all later tonight though.

I do know Bouch has a goal on a point shot.

109. barry.moore23 says:

Martin Marincin !?!? Wow.

110. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy v2.0: EDM has way less assets and cap space today than they had in June 2015

Truth hurts

111. flyfish1168 says:

barry.moore23:
    Martin Marincin !?!?Wow.

Scores 1st before Reider

112. Scungilli Slushy says:

ck27:

They can be in the fold, but like other legacy winners now, not in direct control.

There are no glory Habs in the mix there and that happened after they failed before they were too old.

113. OriginalPouzar says:

Providence beats B. College 5-4 in their first game – Hayden Hawkey stops 21 of 24 in the win. Vincent Desharnais with a goal for Providence.

Safin with an assist against his former team in a 5-4 win.

Olivier Rodrigue still out with a groin injury and didn’t dress.

Samorukov keeps producing – an assist to go along with 5 shots on net in a 5-2 Guelph win.

Bouchard with two goals and 8, yes, 8, shots on net in a 6-3 loss.

114. hunter1909 says:

ck27:

Combined with the fact they’re all over the hill in 2019. If Messier had serious ambition to play GM he would have gone for it right after his playing days ended. Gretzky tried and failed at NHL level coaching, and aside from figurehead appears to be well out of the loop; Lowe+MacT have already provided patchy results to put it mildly for the past 20 years lol

Combined with Katz also being past the age of seriously taking on a sports endeavor. It looks bleak.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

gregsaint:

Drake Caggiula is averaging over 14 minutes a night with the Blackhawks.

This is peak Oilers.”

Is this for realzies? FFS.

The timing of this dialogue is somewhat screwy.

I’ve read this so many times since early Wed evening when a tweet came out about Brandon Manning being a healthy scratch on Wed. While he had been a healthy scratch a couple of games (and had also played a couple of games), he wasn’t actually a healthy scratch last game – he played, he was plus 2 in a 5-4 loss.

The premise of this verbal is fair enough but the timing is off as its due to an incorrect tweet.

116. BONE207 says:

Reja: What if Bob already has a plan in place where he finds a stop gap GM for a few years until Darrell’s son takes over ownership and Keegan has been groomed enough to take over the GM job. LoL

Will this be like the Boys on the Bus echo?

The boys drove the bus into the ditch. Now the echo boys put it in reverse to run over those pushing. Ripleys would salivate at the chance to write the book.

117. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: The timing of this dialogue is somewhat screwy.

Blackhawks couldn’t get rid of this player. We took this player from them and as predicted he’s terrible. That is all that matters