Game 72 2018-19: Oilers at Golden Knights

Edmonton won the game, but the Coyotes grabbed a Bettman and that’s the sound of jail guitar doors. Never no never mind, it’s still a wonderful run and a reminder of just how incredible the top end looks with a sliver of daylight. If comparing Connor McDavid to a deity is bad form, and it is, what then are we to do? Last night 97 brought all the gears, abandon, and ample desperation. What a performance.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Oilers’ prospect Tyler Benson’s rookie AHL season a revelation.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how much the Oilers should be willing to spend on pending free agent Alex Chiasson.
  • Lowetide: Leon Draisaitl and the Oilers’ history of 50-goal seasons
  • Jonathan Willis: Keith Gretzky is a legitimate Oilers GM candidate, but would be a hard sell in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can build a contender during Connor McDavid’s prime.
  • Lowetide: How the emergence of William Lagesson in Bakersfield complicates Edmonton’s 2019-20 depth chart.
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers aren’t good, but this group has more potential than teams from the decade of darkness
  • Lowetide: Bob Nicholson’s search continues for the Oilers new tomorrow, but at a leisurely pace.
  • Jonathan Willis: Potential GM candidates and why Edmonton needs to consider those with varied experiences
  • Lowetide: Identifying Oilers roster needs reveals a familiar list
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Leon Draisaitl has found ‘another level’ by matching offensive wizardry with sound positioning.
  • Lowetide: How many future NHL goal scorers are playing for the Bakersfield Condors this season?
  • Lowetide: The career destination for Oilers phenom Jesse Puljujarvi remains unknown.
  • Jonathan Willis: Learning from a flawed argument I made about Leon Draisaitl in 2016.
  • Black Dog Pat: How the Oilers can emerge from the Bob Pulford-like era they’re stuck in.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers’ deadline decisions inform what may come in spring and summer
  • Jonathan Willis: From Mikko Koskinen to Bakersfield, the next two months will reveal a lot about the Oilers
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

OILERS AFTER 72 GAMES

• Oilers in 2015: 27-38-7, 61 points; goal differential -37
  • Oilers in 2016: 39-24-9, 87 points; goal differential +23
  • Oilers in 2017: 31-36-5, 67 points; goal differential -38
  • Oilers in 2018: 32-32-7, 71 points; goal differential -22

When we tear this engine down, one of the things we’ll be looking for is areas of year-over-year improvement. The goal differential is one possible item.

OILERS IN MARCH

• Oilers in March 2016: 4-4-0, eight points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in March 2017: 5-2-1, 11 points; goal differential +11
  • Oilers in March 2018: 4-3-1, nine points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in March 2019: 5-2-0, 10 points; goal differential +4

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM MARCH

• On the road to: Columbus, Buffalo (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Toronto, NY Rangers, NJD (Expected 2-1-1) (Actual 2-2-0)
  • On the road to: Arizona, Vegas, St. Louis (Expected: 0-2-1) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Columbus, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Dallas, Anaheim (Expected: 3-1-1) (Actual)
  • Overall expected result: 5-5-4, 14 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 5-2-0, 10 points in seven games

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Sekera-Benning went 9-7 in 9:24, 4-2 shots, 1-1 goals and 2-1 HDSC. Good work by both men through much of the game but it was beauty and the beast in the big moments. Benning’s rocket gave Edmonton a lead, but Sekera looked as bad as bad can be 10 seconds later.
  • Klefbom-Larsson went 12-15 in 14:15, 5-10 shots, no goals and 2-3 HDSC. Mostly solid pairing, Klefbom’s pass in overtime was quality. Had an especially tough time against the Dvorak-Keller-Panik line (0-2 HDSC in two minutes).
  • Nurse-Russell went 12-13 in 16:37, 6-5 shots, no goals and 3-0 HDSC. It’s interesting the high dangers were spread over three lines, and that Hitch trusted this pair more than any other.
  • Mikko Koskinen stopped 28 of 30, .933.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson were 6-8 in 9:27, 3-1 shots and 1-0 HDSC. They were the top unit in terms of 5-on-5 time on ice.
  • Khaira-Nuge-Gagner went 4-8 in 8:16, 1-4 shots, 0-1 goals and 1-1 HDSC. Nuge looks tentative with the puck lately, had some looks and made a pass. I like all three of these players, this line should work. Last night wasn’t splendid.
  • Lucic-McDavid-Kassian were 7-7 in 8:00, 3-4 shots, no goals and 2-1 HDSC. Lucic had a monster chance, McDavid was absolute fire and Kassian took an untimely penalty.
  • Gambardella-Cave-Currie went 6-5 in 5:40, 4-4 shots, no goals, 2-0 HDSC. The trio played more (but not deep into the game) and may have good legs tonight.
  • Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian were 4-4 in 4:28, 2-3 shots, 1-0 goals and 0-1 HDSC. This is the No. 1 line.

As luck would have it I was writing a Tyler Benson story for today over at The Athletic. Benson’s big night means a re-write but it’s a terrific story worth following.

TONIGHT

We can argue about how much tonight’s game means, but the team obviously feels they are still in it. That alone means tonight is a must watch, and my goodness Connor McDavid (now 36-67-103 in 67 games, second in league scoring) is showing that he is in fact the NHL’s most valuable and best player.

371 Responses to "Game 72 2018-19: Oilers at Golden Knights"

« Older Comments
  1. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

who: Oh. Okay.
    I wasn’t arguing for or against the possibility of compliance buyouts. I hope you are right, but I have no way of knowing what the likelihood is.
    All I know is Lucic is already the big elephant in the room. By next fall I predict he will become gigantic.
    The first guys to know are always the players. I gotta believe there are already some Oilers wondering why Lucic is still in the lineup.

– Fair enough: but what wingers are “better” than Lucic right now?

– Gagner: nope (but ready to be proven wrong on this)
    – Pool: not yet NHL player
    – Reider: nope
    – Rattie: nope
    – Chiasson: based on a 20% sh% yes
    – Kassian: when he plays with CmD
    – Currie: best case scenario maybe
    – Jar: emerging when healthy
    – Cave: doesn’t score
    – Kailer: not yet NHL player
    – Benson: not yet NHL player
    – Cooper: not yet NHL player
    – Brodziak: hell no

– Lucic is a challenge, but I’m skeptical that a discounted model of 5 years x 3MM+ retained plus whatever sweetener required > than the discounted probability of CBA buy-out/Expansion Draft/any improvement/trade later/Creative back-injury doctor retirement/etc over the next 1-2 seasons, and you deal with the 20 points that this Lucic delivers (not pretty I know)

– FUN FACTS: Lucic is the only F with a CF% greater than 50%, and his CF%rel is the best on the team (higher than CmD, only Sek is higher in small sample), but I guess those possession stats don’t mean what they used to

– That and finding better wingers than all listed above through trades, signings, and another batch of PTO’s, and development of Kailer/Pool and the kids

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Game evening up a bit now.

3. Andy Dufresne says:

Watch Leon in last nights overtime…….steals the puck twice to set up the winning goal….while playing third man back as the goal is scored….f#cking awesome

4. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Some people made up their mind about him because of Chias contract gift
    No point in arguing

I made an initial assessment based off contract and history.

I make my current assessment based off of watching pretty much ever single minute of his play this year – unfortunately the two seem to line up.

If you’ve been reading over the last 3 weeks – I’ve given the guy plenty of kudos over that time when it’s been deserved, hoping and pining that he was starting to show settling in and consistency.

When I feel he’s fighting the puck, I will speak to it.

When I feel he’s on his game, I also speak to it.

5. Andy Dufresne says:

kass a very good pk’er

6. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar: I made an initial assessment based off contract and history.

When I feel he’s fighting the puck, I will speak to it.

When I feel he’s on his game, I also speak to it.

When I feel you are spewing crap I will speak to it

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Two fantastic PKs – not a high danger shot on either PP – about 3 for the Oilers though.

8. Gerta Rauss says:

Reider scoring on a shorthanded breakaway was just too much to ask LOL

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Blah – could have used a late save there.

There were alot of Oilers with interesting positional play on that mind you.

10. jzed says:

Brexit rubs out McDavid so he can’t blow by him and pick up the puck, no penalty there folks, Cave is getting his stick held, struggles to get it back so he can lean on his check, never had his arm around his check, but, PENALTY! Then Dr. rubs out Karlson so he can’t chase puck, sound familiar? PENALTY. Screw this league. Seriously

11. OriginalPouzar says:

On replay, I wasn’t sure a 6’7 goalie could make himself look smaller in the net than that – Eakin has ALOT to shoot at on that one.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

that late goal was a shame but not a bad first period- I thought they settled in after a rough start

13. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: what wingers are “better” than Lucic right now?

What wingers are “better” than Lucic right now? You are joking, right?

14. dsr29 says:

That goal is on Russell. Can’t pinch to make a hit when your centre has lost his stick and is heading to the bench.

After One:

2-1 Vegas
    14-7 Vegas shots
    21-11 Vegas Corsi 5-on-5

Vegas is the better team, but the Oilers also look tired and are making mental mistakes. Koskinen’s glove was timed by sundial on the second goal, Rieder followed a lovely defensive play by giving it right back in the Oilers zone and Lucic did a backpass that would him on the first bus out if he were a rookie. My goodness there was some sloppy play.

16. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: What wingers are “better” than Lucic right now? You are joking, right?

– He’s not very good to be sure, but he’s the 3rd winger scoring, and FUN FACTS: Lucic is the only F with a CF% greater than 50%, and his CF%rel is the best on the team (higher than CmD, only Sek is higher in small sample), but I guess those possession stats don’t mean what they used to

17. Andy Dufresne says:

Wild lose in OT pick up one point

18. oilersfan says:

Kris Russell made an extremely bad decision on that play.

10 years in the league and he pinches when his centre has gone to change his stick , with a minute left to go in the period of a tie game!?! Epic stupid . Inexcusable

19. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: I made an initial assessment based off contract and history.

When I feel he’s fighting the puck, I will speak to it.

When I feel he’s on his game, I also speak to it.

He hasn’t shit the bed in a couple weeks is hardly kudos

20. jzed says:

Russell ran all the way across the ice to pinch on his partner’s side. WTF???? Brain cramp central, during a game seven , Oilers verbiage mind you, but c’mon man.

21. Andy Dufresne says:

leadfarmer: He hasn’t shit the bed in a couple weeks is hardly kudos

Exactly!

22. Andy Dufresne says:

jzed:
    Russell ran all the way across the ice to pinch on his partner’sside. WTF???? Brain cramp central, during a game seven , Oilers verbiagemind you, but c’mon man.

Russell played pretty well in the 2016 playoffs……I think those days are gone.

Not sure he’s moveable this summer.

23. who says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Fair enough: but what wingers are “better” than Lucic right now?

– Gagner: nope
    – Pool: not yet NHL player
    – Reider: nope
    – Rattie: nope
    – Chiasson: based on a 20% sh% yes
    – Kassian: when he plays with CmD
    – Currie: best case scenario maybe
    – Jar: emerging when healthy
    – Cave: doesn’t score
    – Kailer: not yet NHL player
    – Benson: not yet NHL player
    – Cooper: not yet NHL player
    – Brodziak: hell no

I guess I rate the forwards a little differently than you do.
    Gagner- Yep. Better offensive player
    Pool- Yep. Give him Lucic minutes and linemates and I bet he outproduces him.
    Rieder- Yep. Hasn’t scored a goal but has more uses. Penalty killer and much quicker player.
    Rattie- Yep. Much better compliment to skill players.
    Chiasson- Yep. Better shooter. Was scoring before he ever played with McDavid.
    Kassian- Yep. Better on any line. And it’s not even close.
    Currie- Don’t know. But he looks better than Lucic right now.
    Jar- Yep. Again, it’s not even close.
    Cave- Yep. Kills penalties. Doesn’t score, but neither does Lucic.
    Kailer- Not yet NHL player. But neither is Lucic.
    Benson- Ditto
    Cooper- Ditto
    Brodziak- Hell no. But we can bury the contract anytime.

I don’t see how you can watch these games and tell me that Lucic is better than any of these guys.

24. Johnny skid says:

jzed:
    Brexit rubs out McDavid so he can’t blow by him and pick up the puck, no penalty there folks, Cave is getting his stick held, struggles to get it back so he can lean on his check, never had his arm around his check, but, PENALTY!Then Dr.rubs out Karlson so he can’t chase puck, sound familiar? PENALTY. Screw this league.Seriously

That was very frustrating

25. Andy Dufresne says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: but I guess those possession stats don’t mean what they used to

FUN FACT: possession stats never meant what they used to. 🙂

26. who says:

dsr29:

That goal is on Draisaitl. Had position on Eakin in the neutral zone and let him go.
    Probably a product of playing 26 minutes a night.

Leon scored. 43.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai with 43!

29. OriginalPouzar says:

nice little dish by McDavid.

Great finish by Drai.

30. Andy Dufresne says:

Johnny skid: That was very frustrating

Great teams overcome adversity.

Best example Ive ever seen, the 2002 Canadian Olympic team lead by Hayley Wickenheiser.

They were completely hosed beyond belief by the officials in the gold medal game and still came out victorious against the USA.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

hehe

32. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: He hasn’t shit the bed in a couple weeks is hardly kudos

If that’s what you think I posted, I suggest you go back and re-read.

33. Andy Dufresne says:

Mikko with a big save point blank range

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Subban with a big save on Chiasson on a beauty pass by Drai.

35. Gerta Rauss says:

now there’s a nice glove by Koskinen

36. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar: If that’s what you think I posted, I suggest you go back and re-read.

We know what you wrote and the point still stands

37. BONE207 says:

Remenda a little upset on Oilers coverage? What has he watched all year?

Good news…we have a really good shooting percentage tonight

38. Andy Dufresne says:

now there’s a nice glove by Koskinen

Too soon

41. Gerta Rauss says:

BONE207: Too soon

Too late

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Awwww, man, time to get Koskinen out – that was brutal.

He hasn’t looked good from the first shot – you can tell early when its not Mikko’s night and this was predictable after the 1st shot.

43. Andy Dufresne says:

Marchesault from the dot

44. Material Elvis says:

Goalie has to stop that shit. Goddamn it.

45. BONE207 says:

Gerta Rauss: Too late

I’m delayed…along with Koski

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Andy Dufresne: We know what you wrote and the point still stands

47. Johnny skid says:

Andy Dufresne: Great teams overcome adversity.

48. Andy Dufresne says:

Mikko allows a couple of questionable goals….and yet still a better save percentage in this game than the opposing goalie

Andy Dufresne: Russell played pretty well in the 2016 playoffs……I think those days are gone.

Not sure he’s moveable this summer.

In 2016 Russell was playing for a retirement contract. And he found a sucker to give him one.

50. Andy Dufresne says:

Johnny skid: So are you defending the refs calls and none calls on the plays I was referring to

No…I agree with you ………..Im saying great teams overcome adversity….We are not a great team…..yet

Gambardella is excellent on the forecheck.

52. Andy Dufresne says:

Cave Gagner Currie with a great shift

take the crowd out of the game a little

53. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar: Well, you are wrong – I wrote long and detailed posts on why I was optimistic that he was coming around and showing consistency, why I thought his recent stretch wasn’t a heater that would be followed by a cold stretch. Its looking like I was wrong with my assessment that he was improving and finding his way, unfortunately.

– In the last 12 games (if that is the recent stretch you may be referring to):

– 6 games where .943 was his worst outing (and a shut-out)
    – 3 other games of .921, .933, .933
    – 2 stinkers (when team didn’t show up against TOR and NJ)
    – One weak game they won against NYI, where he let in 3
    – Tonight 2nd of B2B against a great team

* and after the 3 poor games, he’s responded with a strong game

54. russ99 says:

This game is really entertaining.

But also very obvious how much better a roster they have than us.

55. Andy Dufresne says:

Nonsense

56. Andy Dufresne says:

Chasisson has serious value to this team at this time

57. Andy Dufresne says:

russ99:
    This game is really entertaining.

But also very obvious how much better a roster they have than us.

And yet we’re still in it

58. russ99 says:

Andy Dufresne: And yet we’re still in it

Pulling for another Connor OT winner.

59. BONE207 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Chasisson has serious value to this team at this time

And now an extra “s” as well….Chiasson…😁

60. texmex says:

BONE207,

Cha$isson?
    4x$6m

61. Andy Dufresne says:

We are just three players away from being a good team……

Carry Price, Drew Doughty, and Nakita Kucherov….. 🙂

62. Andy Dufresne says:

texmex:
    BONE207,

Cha$isson?4x$6m

4x$.6m

63. BONE207 says:

texmex:
    BONE207,

Cha$isson?4x$6m

Worth changing your name for

64. Andy Dufresne says:

BONE207: And now an extra “s” as well….Chiasson…

🙂 LT called him Chassian in a recent post. A Chiasson Kassian hybrid.

65. BONE207 says:

Well that was a dumb play by Reider

66. Gerta Rauss says:

Well it’s a fun game-we’re still in this

67. texmex says:

BONE207,

4 x $6m? 😜😂

68. Ice Sage says:

Good hockey tonight.
    Oilers hanging with VGK is encouraging.

69. Andy Dufresne says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Well it’s a fun game-we’re still in this

We’re gonna win this thing!!!

LT and The Admiral…..no leaving early tonight!

70. BONE207 says:

Andy Dufresne: LT called him Chaissian in a recent post. A Chaisson Kassian hybrid.

LT HAS 2 RULES

1. LT is never wrong on this blog
    2. If you read something that isn’t right, see rule #1.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan Rishaug
    ‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug
    30m30 minutes ago

If Mikko Koskinen doesn’t sort out his glove hand, he won’t be a starting goalie in this league. High glove goals are an epidemic with him, and teams are picking it apart night after night.
    62 replies 42 retweets 274 likes

72. texmex says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan Rishaug
    ‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug
    30m30 minutes ago

If Mikko Koskinen doesn’t sort out his glove hand, he won’t be a starting goalie in this league.High glove goals are an epidemic with him, and teams are picking it apart night after night.
    62 replies 42 retweets 274 likes

Rishaug must read this blog…..or watch the games.

73. Johnny skid says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan Rishaug
    ‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug
    30m30 minutes ago

62 replies 42 retweets 274 likes

you are persistent.

After Two:

3-2 Vegas (1-1 in the second)
    25-13 Vegas shots (11-6 Vegas in the second)
    42-24 Vegas 5-on-5 Corsi (20-13 Vegas in the second)

Koskinen has made some great saves, but his glove is costly.

75. Andy Dufresne says:

Johnny skid: you are persistent.

did your spell checker correct pernicious 🙂

76. Andy Dufresne says:

per·ni·cious

adjective

having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way.

77. russ99 says:

With everyone ahead of us getting Bettman points, tonight is a must win.

Hope the boys can get it done.

78. Andy Dufresne says:

russ99:
    With everyone ahead of us getting Bettman points, tonight is a must win.

Hope the boys can get it done.

It’ll come down to the last game of the year…..

Win and we’re in……lose and we end up in last place in the division…….strange year in this parity league

79. Johnny skid says:

Andy Dufresne:
    per·ni·cious

adjective

having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way.

that too i quess.

80. digger50 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    digger50,

Is Sekera really value at 5.5 if he sits on the third pair?

I don’t think you can “value” but he’ll be really valaubel since:

1) he gives you cover if 77 or 25 goes down.

2) having him bring along one of the rookie RHD will be invaluable

Late reply

In the context of my post, the question is one that needs answered and I’m not so sure that answer is so clear. Yes, he is good cover. Yes he would also be a great mentor.

The other side of the equation is that was brought in to be a top four solution and paid 5.5m.

Thus can we afford to sink that into a mentor ship role on the third pairing? Would we be stronger moving him up the line up and moving Russell? Or moving that 5.5 into a scoring winger?

I do think we need a couple substantial pieces over the summer, after that we have to look for incremental increases in performance.

I like Sekera, he’s doing great in his role today, but he as everyone needs assessed as to value and should not automatically be written in for next year.

81. Andy Dufresne says:

After Two:

3-2 Vegas (1-1 in the second)
    25-13 Vegas shots (11-6 Vegas in the second)
    42-24 Vegas 5-on-5 Corsi (20-13 Vegas in the second)

Koskinen has made some great saves, but his glove is costly.

Hes in (or near) the the top half of starters.

Fix this glove hand issue and he could be top 10

Two questionable goals and he still has a better SV% than the guy at the other end of the ice tonight

82. oilersfan says:

Anybody know why Pirri isn’t playing today? Is he injured or a healthy scratch?

I think he would be an excellent candidate for the oilers as a UFa next year

83. oilersfan says:

digger50,

The oilers are 10 games over .500 with Klefbom in the lineup. 10 games under when he was out.

I think sekera is excellent “Klefbom is injured “ insurance and while he may start the season in the bottom pair he may end up averaging over 20 minutes a game. Isn’t there work out there showing a team’s number five Dman will play more than most second line forwards given injury?

I think he is too valuable to trade even at his cap hit .

If Russell can be given away for nothing and no salary retention, do that

84. Reja says:

Andy Dufresne: Great teams overcome adversity.

They had like 7 penalties in a row called against them .

85. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan Rishaug
    ‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug
    30m30 minutes ago

62 replies 42 retweets 274 likes

– Best run him out of town stat, weak glove and all…

In the last 12 games

– 6 games where .943 was his worst outing (and a shut-out)
    – 3 other games of .921, .933, .933
    – 2 stinkers (when team didn’t show up against TOR and NJ)
    – One weak game they won against NYI, where he let in 3
    – Tonight 2nd of B2B against a great team

* and after the 3 poor games, he’s responded with a strong game

86. Andy Dufresne says:

Reja: They had like 7 penalties in a row called against them .

YES….exactly right……ti was an incredible display of intestinal fortitude

87. Ben says:

Losskinen

88. Ice Sage says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Well it’s a fun game-we’re still in this

were…

89. texmex says:

Andy Dufresne,

Serious question…. can you fix a goalie with a terrible glove hand? That seems like a “you have it or you don’t” thing. You can teach positioning, going down too soon etc. But catching at age 30, I’m not so sure.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

The key is “two questionable goals”.

One in the last minute of a period in a tie game.

The other second after the team tied up the game with a great goal.

Both super deflating – both leading to the tending being “not good enough.

————

Check that, make it three questionable goals.

That’s two stinkers in three games and the middle game was just OK.

Looks like it was a heater and it looks like its over – sigh.

91. Gerta Rauss says:

Ice Sage: were…

lol

92. docweb says:

After a month in Oz…in Hawaii for first game on NBCSN. Chris Cuthbert is bronze. McDavid is gold. Koskinen’s glove is crap.
    For St Patrick’s Day… 2 oz of Bushmill’s, Ginger Beer, wedge of lime…delicious!!!

93. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan Rishaug
    ‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug
    30m30 minutes ago

62 replies 42 retweets 274 likes

Low glove side not looking too strong either.

Despite some of his good games. Inconsistent play does not inspire confidence.

94. Andy Dufresne says:

texmex:
    Andy Dufresne,

Im not sure either. Good quesiton for one of LTs guests on his show.

95. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Ryan Rishaug
    ‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug
    30m30 minutes ago

62 replies 42 retweets 274 likes

Boy this sounds awfully familiar. These AHoles are good at their job.

96. Johnny skid says:

i wonder what the goaltender at the other end would look like playing behind the oilers team defence?

97. OriginalPouzar says:

oilersfan:
    Anybody know why Pirri isn’t playing today? Is he injured or a healthy scratch?

I think he would be an excellent candidate for the oilers as a UFa next year

I’m not sure specifically about tonight but he has been healthy scratched quite a bit lately.

I agree though, he is a solid target – low cost (presumably) with upside.

Russell scored.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Big goal by Kris Russell!

100. Andy Dufresne says:

Subban is weak high glove side 🙂

Serioulsy….Kris Russell

101. Gerta Rauss says:

Russell!!

102. BONE207 says:

Russell with a rocket launcher

103. Johnny skid says:

subban has a shitty glove hand.

104. Andy Dufresne says:

Johnny skid:

You are asking exactly the right question……well done.

105. Andy Dufresne says:

Hey OP ……is Subbans heater over

106. Andy Dufresne says:

Pouzar: Boy this sounds awfully familiar. These AHoles are good at their job.

RIght?!

107. OriginalPouzar says:

oilersfan:
    digger50,

I think he is too valuable to trade even at his cap hit .

If Russell can be given away for nothing and no salary retention, do that

Yup, Sekera’s value to the team is much greater than his value in a trade currently.

The prudent move is clearly a clean disposition of Russell – if at all possible.

It has to come with a 2RD acquisition though – there is no internal option for this coming season.

texmex:
    Andy Dufresne,

Dubnyk was broken once. Mike Smith couldn’t stop a puck at one point in his career.

Koskinen hasn’t been bad often unless there are five bell breakdowns in front of him.

109. BONE207 says:

Johnny skid:

Like the rest of us who watch this team for so many years. Scared shitless

110. Reja says:

Not many Goalies play back to back in this league anymore. Damien Damien why so much love for Talbot but none for Kosh.

111. Andy Dufresne says:

Mikko has adjusted his angles so missed glove stops carom wide 🙂

112. Gerta Rauss says:

what in fuck was that

113. Andy Dufresne says:

goalie interference

114. BONE207 says:

Something Koski’s glove something

115. Gerta Rauss says:

they might call this back…

116. Ben says:

It’s not that he got bumped, it’s that PEB had his arm wrapped around his head after the fact.

117. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss:
    they might call this back…

well it’s the NHL Gerta

118. Andy Dufresne says:

Ben:

agreed

119. OriginalPouzar says:

The fact that Koskinen’s inconsistent and simply not good enough play is being compared to the play of a back-up making league minimum for justification is kind of evidence in itself.

120. docweb says:

Like I never left. Sigh.

More Bushmill’s please

121. Andy Dufresne says:

Gerta Rauss: well it’s the NHL Gerta

lol

122. striatic says:

Ben:

Oh, and also the skate to skate contact in the paint. preventing the full extension of Koskinen’s pad, before the puck passes Koskinen.

123. striatic says:

OriginalPouzar,

He’s on the second game of a back to back. The comparison isn’t exactly apples to apples here.

124. Andy Dufresne says:

striatic: The only chance Koskinen has is to fall backward on it, which is what he’s trying to do. Vegas player holds him, preventing that, until the puck is about to go into the net, then releases.

Nailed it!

125. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Prime example of my stance regarding goalies and blue paint. Bellemare has his stock on Koskinen initially and then has his arm on him. How in the hell is this not goaltender interference?

126. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:

I never knew the P stood for Pernicious

127. hags9k says:

Vegas player hugging him and holding still like that makes him feel like he has the puck…INTERFERENCE

(non factor if he just squeezes the easy save though)

Maoriduvpoojt:
    Prime example of my stance regarding goalies and blue paint.Bellemare has his stock on Koskinen initially and then has his arm on him.How in the hell is this not goaltender interference?

I think they blamed Russell for Bellemare being there.

129. BONE207 says:

Oh, and also the skate to skate contact in the paint before the puck passes Koskinen.

This is the world self correcting. Oilers are done. Let’s get the tank pointed in the right direction. Koski has his glove hand firmly on the control stick

130. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Maoriduvpoojt:

But I was not surprised the addled “powers that be” missed that part. Remember the goal they didn’t count even when it seemed obvious it was across the line.

Yup same people are making these decisions.

131. BONE207 says:

Andy Dufresne: I never new the P stood for Pernicious

New to me that he Knew about that.

132. Maoriduvpoojt says:

godot10: I think they blamed Russell for Bellemare being there.

Yes, most likely

133. Ben says:

Seeing 89 real bad 2nite.

Gambardella’s been pretty good.

134. digger50 says:

Good point

135. hags9k says:

Mix in a save Mikko.

136. striatic says:

digger50: Bellmare holds him In a gesture – but inadvertently prevents him from falling back

I’m pretty sure it was intentional.

137. LMHF#1 says:

Whoever those D were should be benched.

You never both change when a forward’s trying to go up ice like that. Never.

138. digger50 says:

striatic: I’m pretty sure it was intentional.

Yes, but it looks as though he feels play is stopped, everything is cool type gesture.

139. digger50 says:

Oh dear

140. LMHF#1 says:

godot10: I think they blamed Russell for Bellemare being there.

Not just not covering anyone this time – encroaching on the goalie too!

I’m not sure who has been the bigger game sabatoge master…he or Ference.

141. Andy Dufresne says:

LMHF#1:
    Whoever those D were should be benched.

You never both change when a forward’s trying to go up ice like that. Never.

Im certain Mikko told them to do that.

142. texmex says:

It’s never good when the oilers Twitter feed stops updating the score

143. BONE207 says:

Lots of green beer tonight will cure many Oilers ailments. Set them free Hitch

144. Andy Dufresne says:

Good news…..for the first time this year you can get a ticket in the lower bowl for the same price as you can in Pheonix or Florida 🙂

145. hags9k says:

3-6 loss is not actually too bad a result when you only have 6 NHL forwards in the lineup.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m getting called some pretentious version of the world harmful for posting that our goaltender isn’t good enough during a game where he lets in 5 questionable goals just a few days after a terrible performance in a must win game against a team actually below us. Wild stuff.

147. Johnny skid says:

hags9k:

conner and leon are a treat to watch.

148. Buddy says:

Stick a fork in it Jerry

149. Andy Dufresne says:

Incredible how many different ways Draisiatl can score,

One timer, slick hands in tight, break-away, short handed, two on one, quick snap shot, etc etc

150. Rafa Nadal says:

Well, at least Bianca won today…

151. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’m getting called some pretentious version of the world harmful for posting that our goaltender isn’t good enough during a game where he lets in 5 questionable goals just a few days after a terrible performance in a must win game against a team actually below us.Wild stuff.

Now get to bed…..you’ve got to be up in a couple of hours!

152. Andy Dufresne says:

Rafa Nadal:
    Well, at least Bianca won today…

Incredible win. 🙂

153. BONE207 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Man…what a run-on sentence!!!
    As for must win games, well, Oilers lost a bunch of those around Christmas & the allstar break. Probably a few in October too. November was kind of poor also…🤣

154. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Mutual termination isn’t a realistic option – its so rare and I don’t see him leaving millions and millions of dollars on the table – even after his bonus is paid.

Yes, of course, the best option is an amnesty buyout in connection with the next CBA negotiations – as we know, far from a sure thing – hopeful though.

Well, if we are only retaining $1.5M then a sweetener can be added but I’m not sure how material I’d go.

Of course, we cannot protect this player – he very well might waive though – that doesn’t mean SEA has to take him, it simply means he agrees to waive and be exposed.Don’t we think he would?I don’t imagine he isn’t willing to waive his NMC for most destinations (although he could force the acquiring team to carry the clause which would be an issue) and Seattle seems like a place he’d be willing to go (not that SEA would actually take him without a deal in place).

Anyways, a potential buyout for Lucic should ONLY be explored before the expansion draft – I guess this would have to be next off-season though.

Also, as an aside, and I can’t get in to any detail on any level, however, I know, with certainty that Katz is undertaking a pretty expansive cost-cutting protocol that includes hockey side (no I’m not talking about not spending to the cap or anything like that but on a different level). I’m not positive he’d be willing to buy out that contract for minimal savings.

So I guess no analytics dept or spending on sport science and extra coaching. Too bad.

OriginalPouzar:

156. New Improved Darkness says:

BONE207: Man…what a run-on sentence!!!

Actually, not a run-on sentence.

The problem is stringing two modifying clauses in a row, both hinging on the head-word “game”. This is grammatically legal, but cognitively demanding, so whether you get away with it depends on how much you cram into the first clause, and whether the two clauses lurch off in different directions (this also contributes to a heavy-set sentence).

By comparison, every third lead on Wikipedia contains an honest to God run-on sentence.

Emmy Ent Big Pants (born 1967) was an artist and scholar who graduated from Valley High and once farted twice while scratching her left ear.

Why write it this way? Because it would sound dumb to mention the farting in a sentence all by itself, but if you can tack it onto a longer sentence while the reader is skating back to the bench for a fresh stick … maybe it won’t be noticed for what it really is.

So let’s fix the head-word problem.

I’m getting called some pretentious version of the world harmful for posting that our goaltender isn’t good enough during a game where he lets in 5 questionable goals; this stinker coming just a few days after his oopsaholic frolic in a high-noon pivotal-junction moment of truth—for real this time—against the Pine Beetle Bailey Barrens.

The semicolon trick lets you reset the head word—while also sneaking in an extra derisive adjective.

Then you lard it up with six metaphors from Sunday for depleted incompetence—The Sopranos “Pine Barrens” episode (in actual NJ); the sad-sack British Columbia pine beetle; the slack-ass Beetle Bailey; and with a bonus whiff of the Old Bailey courthouse, sited on the former location of the infamous Newgate Prison that once had terrorized the lowest of the low 700-years running—and nobody even notices how many words you just wasted.

Beetle Bailey (begun September 1950) is an American comic strip created by cartoonist Mort Walker. It is set on a fictional United States Army post. In the years just before Walker’s death in 2018 (at age 94) it was among the oldest comic strips still being produced by its original creator.

Now I ask you, what could Mort Walker (who apparently died on his drafting board) possibly know about goofing off?

Also, I’m troubled by the word “among”, which seemingly implies some kind of wisecracking nonagenarian throng still gamely gumming the Fifth Estate.

157. Gerta Rauss says:

loved the Pine Barrens episode

158. OriginalPouzar says:

Andy Dufresne: revisionist history……youre getting called that because of your ad nauseum repetition of a false narrative……let me know if you need me to explain any of these pretentious words.

Now get to bed…..you’ve got to be up in a couple of hours!

There is nothing false about my opinion – its based on performance of the goalie which, for the year, is simply not good enough. I don’t care if this numbers on the year are adequate and even some decent GSAA metrics – when success comes in short bunches followed by steaks of being ice cold its not good enough for a starting tender – consistency is important – he’s performed like Alex Chiasson – seasons stats look OK overall but for long stretches, he’s been middling to average to bad.

This whole “he’s good when the team is good” is also BS and means he’s not good enough, or hasn’t been good enough. If that premise was adequate then it doesn’t matter who the goalie is – they will only perform when the team does – nothing else matters. That makes the 3 X $4.5M more egregious because the hole could be filled by a league minimum player – they are only as good as the team in front of them.

Now, I am done conversing with you – I don’t appreciate the condescending words in your post – they are unnecessary and I’ve decided not to converse with people that can’t have respect in their discussion.

Enjoy your week, I hope its a great one – if you are in Alberta, you should finally get some great weather.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Goalies can have wild ups and downs in performance. I think Koskinen was probably fatigued tonight, Hitch should have gone with Stolarz. As for the NJD game, that was a perfect opportunity for the team to pick him up and they did not in fact do it. He was poor tonight for sure.

Yes, he likely was fatigued – another test (back to backs) that he was unable to pass. He has also been generally fatigued on other occasions this year – not a good sigh given he’s played 46 games and he is the undisputed starter on this team.

Of course, I acknowledge team performance is a factor in goalie performance but, when commingling solid money over term to a tender, one would think it would be a tender that has proven to be able to give the team a chance to win on most nights.

160. ArmchairGM says:

Koskinen needs a veteran 1B to back him up, someone who can be the starter to cover his poor stretches.

I vote for Cory Schneider.

161. jp says:

ArmchairGM:

I vote for Cory Schneider.

Why?

He’s 33, is owed 6M for 3 more seasons and hasn’t posted a league average SV% since 15-16.

Straight up for Lucic is the only way I can see it.

162. ArmchairGM says:

jp: Why?

Straight up for Lucic is the only way I can see it.

That’s exactly the way I see it too.

163. jp says:

ArmchairGM: That’s exactly the way I see it too.

You mean for Lucic?

Yeah that would work for sure. Just not sure Schneider can cover the 1B part.

He has a NTC too (but no NMC listed), not sure if he’d need to be protected in expansion. The buyout is waaaay more forgiving than Lucic’s though – 2Mx6 yrs.

If not for Lucic though I see zero reason he should be a target.

164. OriginalPouzar says:

I vote for Brian Elliot.

165. ArmchairGM says:

jp: You mean for Lucic?

Yeah that would work for sure. Just not sure Schneider can cover the 1B part.

If not for Lucic though I see zero reason he should be a target.

After July 1st Lucic is owed $16M over 4 years while Schneider is owed $18M over 3 years. In my scenario he’d provide some cover for Koski and be a buffer for Starrett for 1 year, then cost us $2M x 4 in a buyout.

166. OriginalPouzar says:

He has a NTC, not a NMC so he does not need to be protected in the expansion draft.

OriginalPouzar: Yes, goalies can have wild swings but, to this point, this goalie has not shows the ability to provide any sort of consistent play – he has not shown the ability to give the team a chance to win night in and night out – without that type of consistency, he will fail as a starter like he has so far this year.

Yes, he likely was fatigued – another test (back to backs) that he was unable to pass.He has also been generally fatigued on other occasions this year – not a good sigh given he’s played 46 games and he is the undisputed starter on this team.

Koskinen has a winning record. Many of his losses were without Klefbom. His bad games have been bad. But one shouldn’t let the bad games cloud the overall performance this year.

Many of his critics are the same people who ran Brossoit out of town.

168. jp says:

ArmchairGM: Agreed. I was thinking we’d use him 1 year and then buy him out, so no worries about the expansion draft.

After July 1st Lucic is owed $16M over 4 years while Schneider is owed $18M over 3 years. In my scenario he’d provide some cover for Koski and be a buffer for Starrett for 1 year,then cost us $2M x 4 in a buyout.

If NJ would do that deal (and both players agree to waive NTCs), than without a doubt I’d be on board.

Elliott is a decent option too, and there’s really not a big difference in their SV% over the past 3 year. Both missing time to injury this year. Elliott is also almost a year older – 34 next month, while Schneider turned 33 last month.

Elliott
    .910. .909, .912
    Schneider
    .908, .907, .901

169. Admiral Ackbar says:

I love watching the Oilers play good hockey teams. The contrast is stark. The only unfortunate effect is that often the lesser team plays up to the level of the good team and mascarades as ‘belonging’ on the same ice.

I stopped watching after the 3rd VGK goal – I figured the Oilers wouldn’t be able to squeak another GTG. At that point Vegas looked poised to skate away with a few more. This 2019 edition of the Oilers have helped me hone a skill: knowing when to change the channel.

Yes, this begs the question: why watch at all?

The heart wants what it wants. The playoffs are that beautiful girl in freshman year that I could never gather enough guts to ask out even though she’d flirt with me once in a while in lab…

170. Jethro Tull says:

New Improved Darkness,

Yes, but what about auto-correct and the WG’s phone effect? Did OP actually write what he thought he wrote? And the children. Won’t anybody please think of the children?

171. Old Timer says:

I realize the Athletic pays you to write but I miss your meaty articles that were the hallmark of the Lowetide site.

I don’t tune in as often as I used to. Sort of feel like I have lost an old friend.

« Older Comments