Game 74 2018-19: Blue Jackets at Oilers

In the coming days, I’d like to spend some time talking about the draft. My final list, Here Comes the Sun, will be out in early June. I’m not a scout, my list is heavily math reliant, but it does tend to uncover gems in the days gone down.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Trimming cap fat and adding speed and skill will shape Oilers’ offseason.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Former Canucks architects Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman should be considered for any vacant NHL GM job
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers need to drastically revamp their forward group.
  • Lowetide: Identifying the risk and the right price if the Oilers were to trade Adam Larsson (to Toronto?)
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ prospect Tyler Benson’s rookie AHL season a revelation.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how much the Oilers should be willing to spend on pending free agent Alex Chiasson.
  • Jonathan Willis: Keith Gretzky is a legitimate Oilers GM candidate, but would be a hard sell in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can build a contender during Connor McDavid’s prime.
  • Lowetide: How the emergence of William Lagesson in Bakersfield complicates Edmonton’s 2019-20 depth chart.
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers aren’t good, but this group has more potential than teams from the decade of darkness
  • Lowetide: Bob Nicholson’s search continues for the Oilers new tomorrow, but at a leisurely pace.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Leon Draisaitl has found ‘another level’ by matching offensive wizardry with sound positioning.
  • Jonathan Willis: From Mikko Koskinen to Bakersfield, the next two months will reveal a lot about the Oilers
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

OILERS AFTER 74

• Oilers in 2015: 29-38-7, 65 points; goal differential -34
  • Oilers in 2016: 40-25-9, 89 points; goal differential +25
  • Oilers in 2017: 33-36-5, 71 points; goal differential -30
  • Oilers in 2018: 32-34-7, 71 points; goal differential -29

There it is! A one-goal defeat tonight and this year’s team falls to even with the 2017-18 crew. It doesn’t mean a lot but you would like to see some progress year over year.

OILERS IN MARCH

• Oilers in March 2016: 6-4-0, 12 points; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in March 2017: 6-3-1, 13 points; goal differential +12
  • Oilers in March 2018: 5-4-1, 11 points; goal differential +4
  • Oilers in March 2019: 5-4-0, 10 points; goal differential -4

WHAT TO EXPECT IN MARCH

• On the road to: Columbus, Buffalo (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Toronto, NY Rangers, NJD (Expected 2-1-1) (Actual 2-2-0)
  • On the road to: Arizona, Vegas, St. Louis (Expected: 0-2-1) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • At home to: Columbus, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Dallas, Anaheim (Expected: 3-1-1) (Actual)
  • Overall expected result: 5-5-4, 14 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 5-4-0, 10 points in ninge games

LOWETIDE HOUSE RULES

I use NHLE as a strong guiding light. I also use scouting reports from trusted sources and publications. I punish average to poor foot speed liberally. My list list rewards offense heavily, and the most gifted offensive players will be at the top. Players with a range of skills usually do well, but there is a fine line between a two-way player and a checking future. The list does not give high numbers to players who have a lot of their value tied up in the defensive side of the game. Goalies are graded (almost exclusively) by save percentage, although success over more than one season has terrific value.

I view Bob McKenzie’s list as the draft Bible. Corey Pronman has been an education for years now. Scott Wheeler is a unique voice. His rankings include some hidden gems we’ll be tracking in the future. Craig Button’s list has high value for me, I like the fact he has the courage of his convictions. I pay attention to Red Line Report. Their scouting reports are the industry standard.Simon Boisvert is a wonderful resource. He’s on the Lowdown often and he’s a very wise man. Steve Kournianos guides me through the draft season with his fantastic site and insight. I value McKeens, Grant McCagg, Tom Hunter, Brock Otten, Adam Sherren, ISS. I do have conversations with scouts in junior hockey and they are very helpful.

Mark Edwards Black Book is a brilliant reference. His release last year has been very useful for this year’s draft. Highly recommended. If there’s one publication I would suggest purchasing, it would be Edwards.

UNDRAFTED 2018

I do a list 120 deep and routinely see players that have been ranked inside the top 40 pass right through the draft. No matter. We remember them and then discuss in draft +1. Here are the ‘passover’ bunch from last season who spiked this year and could get drafted.

• 33. W Samuel Fagemo, Frolunda (SuperElite). I wrote last year “good boots and an excellent shot. He had a strong playoff and remains a favorite of mine. Not ranked on plenty of lists, could be a draft steal in later rounds. Speed and goal scoring is always a good bet.” Update: Bob McKenzie has him No. 74. Math rankings are often mocked, but there are lessons to be learned, and therefore value, in the numbers. I have Fagemo No. 32 this year.
  • 42. LC Nathan Dunkley, London Knights (OHL). Impressive young player with offensive ability. Works hard, starting now we’re into complementary offensive types. Update: Had the same season this year (down arrow) and is No. 191 among NA skaters for 2019.
  • 59. L Alex Steeves, Dubuque (USHL). Smaller winger, speedy, physical. Update: Now playing college (Notre Dame), he had seven goals as a freshman.
  • 65. RC Kyle Topping, Kelowna Rockets (WHL). Impressive even-strength offense. Update: He also ran in place this season, and ranks No. 195 among NA skaters for 2019.
  • 86. R Arttu Nevasaari, Karpat (Jr. Sm-Liiga). Top-end skill. Update: Blossomed in his junior league this season.
  • 89. LD Justin Bergeron, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL). M-A Bergeron 2.0. Update: He spiked offensively but is still not ranked despite posting 57 points in 65 games. Intriguing.
  • 92. LC Lukas Wernblom, MODO (SuperElite). Small, skilled, needs better results. Update: Enjoyed a solid year in the Allsvenskan and is ranked No. 53 Euro skater for 2019.

LOWETIDE CURRENT TOP 10 2019 DRAFT

1. C Jack Hughes, U.S. National Development Team (USHL).
  2. R Kaapo Kakko, Turkku (Sm-Liiga).
  3. L Arthur Kaliyev, Hamilton (OHL).
  4. R Dylan Cozens, Lethbridge (WHL).
  5. RC Kirby Dach, Saskatoon (WHL).
  6. LC Trevor Zegras, U.S. National Development Team (USHL).
  7. R Vasili Podkolzin, St. Petersburg (MHL).
  8. LC Alex Turcotte, U.S. National Development Team (USHL).
  9. LC Peyton Krebs, Kootenay (WHL).
  10. LD Bowen Byram, Vancouver (WHL).

My top 10 will change a little in terms of ranking (Turcotte will move up as he stays healthy, Byram probably passes Krebs) but the 10 men listed here are likely the 10 men you’ll see on my final list. My current list is here, I’ll have an update early next week. I wrote about the incredible depth of the WHL draft and the Oilers preference for the league at The Athletic, with seven names who could be announced by Edmonton draft weekend.

WHAT DOES THE OILERS LIST LOOK LIKE?

I think the WHL kids are high on the list, would guess Hughes is No. 1 and the Finn second, and do wonder how they feel about the Russian. No change the team will take Kaliyev, he’ll go later in the first round (Corey Pronman wrote a terrific piece about him here).

EVAN BOUCHARD

As often happens, Oilers fans are finding warts on prospects and now wondering if it was all a big mistake. I want to remind you that a No. 10 overall selection isn’t the same as a No. 1 pick. I want to remind you that Evan Bouchard still has all kinds of talent and his passing ability is a perfect fit for a team that can’t pass straight. I’ve been reading some fairly sour takes on him, recently, would recommend you let him live and find his own way. I’m very much inclined to believe he’ll be a genuine part of the solution.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

It’s Thursday, we have a rocking show with fabulous guests, beginning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• John Matisz, The Score. Oilers GM search, Lightning-Caps classic.
  • Julian Edlow, Draft Kings and Metro Boston. March Madness baby!
  • Luke Philp, Calgary Flames. Newest signing by the Flames will chat about his contract.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

342 Responses to "Game 74 2018-19: Blue Jackets at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Admiral Ackbar says:

Man! Ramenda ripped them a new on there with Principe trying to cool him off!

“I’ll take honesty any day of the week”.

Yes, now please, tell us what you really think of this organization, Drew.

2. Maoriduvpoojt says:

OriginalPouzar: Leaving two rookie pros as goalies for the Condors down the stretch drive?

I don’t think there is anything Starrett could do down the stretch in the NHL this year that would give comfort with going in to next season with him as the back-up.Given the current established abilities of the starter, I think the organization needs to be very comfortable the back-up can play 30 plus games and even take over the starters role for stretches.

Starrett could have 3 shutouts down the stretch and I don’t think that comfort would be provided.

I am talking about 1 or 2 games

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Not quite sure why Brodz decided to put that puck wide as opposed to in to the net.

4. Pretendergast says:

would someone tell kev lauri korpikoski is not in net.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers are actually playing better than the shot clock indicates.

Two high danger chances on that last shift but Brodz put it wide and McDavid shoveled it wide – no shot.

Lots of blocked shots for CBJ as well.

It’ll come.

6. BONE207 says:

Maoriduvpoojt,

I for one am proud of our military. I respect those that serve. I wish the government would though.

As for you…thanks for your many years of defending this country. If I had tickets I’d give them to you cause the game on tv sucks.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice save by Koskinen on the 2 on 1.

Game opening up a bit – some scoring chances each way.

8. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar: Russell should be the trade target for cap space, not Sekera, in my mind.

Stralman is my target as the 2RD replacement but its a fantasy as he’s unlikely to sign here for 2 years.

Myers is not the right fit for this team as we do not need to commit term and big money at the position – stop gap for the prospects.

I don’t think they can bring in 4 plus material players in this off-season – by material I’m mean top 6 forwards and top 4D and I don’t think they should be bleeding value in the name of cap space when the contracts fall away within 2 years – I’ve posted my preferred slow 2 year plan many times.

There is enough dead cap on this team to move – easier said than done, yes, I know, but I’m remiss to trade valuable players for cap space.

The only reason to trade Sekera is to gain his 5.5M. Jones can play third pair, he may give up some smarts but he has more speed. Sekera is still good, he can contribute, but if they have him slotted at 3 pairing at 5.5 then….

If Sekeras 5.5 can go towards a scoring winger then it’s a win.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

Who else would you sit in order to give the young pups a few at-bats?

I’d vote Stanton, Lowe, and Day — in that order based on organizational imperative and likelihood of tenure.

Stanton would be the one but I wouldn’t just sit him game after game – he’s been good this year as a player and mentor.

Lowe is the captain and give it 100% night in and night out – he’s been a very valuable mentor the last few years and I think it would be somewhat unfair to sit him, yes, even in the name of development.

Day would be the only other one although he’s a big part of the PP and the offence – I’m OK sitting him because, although he may have earned an actual NHL contract, I don’t foresee him ever playing NHL games

10. Jethro Tull says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    This militaristic bullshit turns my stomach.

tileguy: I hope the soldiers with their guns were given mental illness exams.

Fuck you. Signed, A Veteran.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

Admiral Ackbar: Is keeping them to 4 shots while spending the entire period in your own zone something to cheer over?

I don’t think that’s actually what happened – especially given the Oilers won the possession battle and CBJ had 8 blocked shots.

12. Professor Q says:

Admiral Ackbar:
    Man! Ramenda ripped them a new on there with Principe trying to cool him off!

“I’ll take honesty any day of the week”.

Yes, now please, tell us what you really think of this organization, Drew.

I had no idea that Remenda was a big boxing fan.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50: Russel will be high on the trade list. But if it doesn’t work you need multiple plans.

If Sekeras 5.5 can go towards a scoring winger then it’s a win.

Slotted in at third pairing until the first injury. One injury happens and, all of a sudden, Benning (or Jones) is in the top 4……..

I stick with my position that new management needs to get creative and work to get rid of some of the dead cap on the team (Manning, Lucic, Russell – not quite dead cap but not as valuable as some others). Sekera provides value and makes the team better – there are ways to acquire the cap space.

If management can’t, then they stay patient – cap hell is gone within a few years (if Koskinen can cover the bet).

14. BONE207 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Thats what they call a “low event period”.

Halfway through the game & neither team in double digit shots.

Low event game. Ahl quality team against one looking for a playoff spot.

15. tileguy says:

Jethro Tull,

Jethro Tull:
    Fuck you. Signed, A Veteran.

I think our comments are more aimes at OEM portraying our soldiers as war mongering americans, showing clips of them flying in helicopters over edmonton with guns hanging out and then repelling from the ceiling with guns pointed at the crowd. Armed forces play a huge role in keeping our country safe and thank them for that.

This blog regards our military highly and thanks them for their service. Please respect our military while posting here, thanks.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice deflection by David Savard to open the scoring.

Larsson was aggressive on the puck carrier so why was Klefbom fading away from the front of the net?

Or did Klef play that fine and its on Nuge to recognize the guy heading to the front (who Nuge was a single stop behind)?

18. Professor Q says:

I know people were talking about Kate Bush a lot today and yesterday, and it also seems poignant to the other discussion tonight.

I think Games Without Frontiers is an amazing and enlightening song that tells a lot about societies and humanities.

Brodziak scored.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Wow – beauty shot by Brodz to tie the game.

Nice little pass by Gambardella.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G with his first NHL point?

23. Oil2Oilers says:

A heat map for shots in this game would look like a February weather report

24. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

tileguy:
    Jethro Tull,

I am with Jethro on this one … fuck you both. Signed, proud father of two war mongering American soldiers who each were hit with IEDs, one of them twice. So yes, fuck you.

25. tileguy says:

I’m glad burger bob apologized to Tobias and will sign him for next year.

26. Todd Macallan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Nice deflection by David Savard to open the scoring.

May be a few beers deep watching this from a conference in Banff, but my initial impression was Nuge was late marking his fella.

I should note, I love Nuge. Taking the gf to the Kings game on Tues., her first live Oil game, and I’m wearing my 93 jersey.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

I am not one that is in favor of spending big resources and cap on more established top 6 wingers.

Given the cap situation, I want any opened up cap space spend on a stop-gap 2RD and I think the forwards to focus on are cheaper UFAs that could provide value contracts – Brandon Pirri, Richard Panik, Brent Connoly – nothing more than 3 years.

28. Ben says:

So what are the odds that Nicholson hires someone smart sort of by accident? Give me hope here, friends.

29. Ben says:

“Tobias, we hardly knew ye”

or

“Tobias is a never-knewed”

30. digger50 says:

Deleted my comment. Briefly lost temper in the moment.

31. Todd Macallan says:

Ben:
    “Tobias, we hardly knew ye”

or

“Tobias is a never-knewed”

I honestly feel bad for anyone who has this genius fly clear over their head. Perhaps they need an analyst / therapist.

32. Professor Q says:

Ben:

By accident? Yes. But he needs to be shown the door regardless, as do some of the other Front Office and “Back Office Business Side” folks.

Keith could stay as AGM, though.

33. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

Agreed all around, and to be clear — I didn’t mean sitting all of them at once, or a individual for more than one game at a time. Each player has played a role in the current success of the team and deserves to play when appropriate. The idea being to integrate the young guns based on opportunity/matchup/practice performance etc as it makes sense to the coaching staff on a daily basis.

After Two:

1-1 tie, both goals in the second period
    12-10 CBJ shots (8-8 shots in the second)
    36-23 Edmonton Corsi 5-on-5 (24-15 EDM in the second)

I honestly don’t know which team to be more concerned about at this time.

I’ve deleted several comments. Original comments were misunderstood, general rage, everyone survived.

36. Ben says:

Todd Macallan,

I can think of a few posters here who would benefit from a nu start.

37. Reja says:

Would love Josh Anderson he can rifle the puck and skate.I could see him scoring 40 with the right linemates.

38. Glovjuice says:

Bob Nicholson is a stupid, stupid human and is an embarrassment to all executive managers. Wow. He should be fired immediately. I will not support this team ever again. The Oilers are fucked. Totally fucked.

39. who says:

Sekera creates more cap space and is easier to trade, I think.
    I’m not sure you can trade Russell, only 10 team trade list. I also think you might have to retain salary, or add a sweetener.
    If you don’t think Sekera can play 2RD, why not move him and find someone who can?
    I am curious what Myers will fetch as a UFA. Fits the bill as a right shot puck mover who can run a powerplay. It would probably take a term of at least 5 years, but keep in mind Larrson is only signed for 2 more. Maybe Bouchard is ready to step in when Larsson is done. Gives you lots of options.
    Nothing wrong with your patient approach either. I happen to agree with it.
    But it sounds like we are in the minority, so I am curious about other options.

40. Reja says:

Ben:
    “Tobias, we hardly knew ye”

or

“Tobias is a never-knewed”

He has zero goals that’s not possible with the ice time he received. This is not a big scooping story that they aren’t resigning Tobias.

41. leadfarmer says:

Glovjuice:

I don’t get how he survived the Chia hire

Kassian scored.

43. Reja says:

Kurri I mean Kassian scores

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Beauty goal – too bad it was Kass and not Leon (only for the chase for 50).

Leon gets one closer to 100.

45. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:

Depends who becomes available
    I would have definitely signed Stone to his contract
    But I’m sure someone will pay Duchenne and Zucharello too much money

Really liking Gambardella. Forechecking is hard work and often gets no results, but he’s relentless. Like Eakins relentless.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Solid play by Koskinen early in the 3rd.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Sekera creates more cap space and is easier to trade, I think.
    Nothing wrong with your patient approach either. I happen to agree with it.
    But it sounds like we are in the minority, so I am curious about other options.

A major reason this team can’t score is the inability to get the puck back while defending and more the puck to the forwards with speed – Sekera may be the best on the team at the combo of those two things.

Maybe Sekera can play 2RD – he hasn’t been tried there for a while.

As far as upgrading the 2RD with Sekera’s cap space – firstly, we lose Sekera for nothing but cap space and then need to spend additional material assets to acquire the 2RD (I don’t think we are signing Stralman or Myers).

49. Glovjuice says:

He is not, and never will be, an NHL player on a playoff team. Guaranteed.

50. Professor Q says:

Reja:
    Kurri I mean Kassian scores

Currie had the assist, actually.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Damn Russell, make that stretch pass a good second earlier…..

52. Material Elvis says:

Ben:
    “Tobias, we hardly knew ye”

or

“Tobias is a never-knewed”

Ha. Impressive.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice: He is not, and never will be, an NHL player on a playoff team. Guaranteed.

Its a good thing he isn’t employed by an organization you support…….

I don’t understand spending so much time discussing an organization one has expressly stated they will never support but to each their own.

54. Professor Q says:

I would really like to keep Chiasson.

Chiasson what? I may never know. I may never get there, whether high or low.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

What a goal by McDavid – great pass by Drai but what a finish.

56. Admiral Ackbar says:

Glad I kept watching this one!

Is there a more money duo in the league? Drai and McD on a 2 on 1 is almost auto-goal.

57. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Sekera provides more cap space because he is a better player hence the higher cap hit. I believe he will provide value for his contract and I remain convinced that there are enough bloated contracts in this organization that it simply doesnt make sense to move non-anchor contracts except for value (in addition to cap space).

Maybe Sekera can play 2RD – he hasn’t been tried there for a while.

You’ve been arguing against Sekera playing 2RD for quite a while. When did you change your mind?
    You have also been suggesting signing Stralman for 2RD.
    If you have changed your mind about these two things, then yes, it makes no sense to trade Sekera for cap space.
    But just for fun, if you thought we could sign at least 2 expensive free agents, how would you go about creating the cap space for them?

58. Reja says:

Empty netter by Leon the Maschine coming up.

59. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar: Its a good thing he isn’t employed by an organization you support…….

60. texmex says:

From rishaug….. I agree

“Comment from Rieders agent Darren Ferris. “I am totally astonished and disappointed that the president of an NHL team can make such a callous and reckless statement about a player. This is unacceptable.”

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Beauty goal again – Nuge sets a career high in goals.

Had the option of giving it back to Drai for an empty netter mind you.

Drai with his third point.

62. Ben says:

Nuge with his 49th point!

63. Westchester Oil says:

Ben:
    Nuge with his 49th point!

LOL

64. hunter1909 says:

Torts lol must have steam blowing out of his ears waiting to get the team in the dressing room after this period.

65. Halfwise says:

Glovjuice: I will use this great blog as a venue to express my disappointment and dissatisfaction with this Soiler organization until I am blocked by our host. This place is by far the biggest audience I have that is somewhat captive to my ramblings. And, my music posts add much value to this place.

Must be exhausting, being you.

66. hunter1909 says:

Re Oilers Defence:

Not a single one of them is currently worth a shit carrying the puck out of the defensive zone which means they all blow chunks compared to the say, Montreal Canadiens top 3 defencemen in 1978

At least Bouchard shows that he has a freaking clue. And you dopes already dissing him.

Go back to CP.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

That was indeed a fun third period.

68. hunter1909 says:

Oilers best game of the year.

69. Reja says:

Just admit deep down you like Leon the Maschine

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Koskinen made a couple solid saves early in the third when the game was tied – those were important.

Not massive 5-bell saves but important stops.

71. Westchester Oil says:

Columbus does not look like a playoff team.

Good thing that they traded their UFA’s and didn’t sacrifice any of their future at the deadline.

72. Admiral Ackbar says:

Westchester Oil:
    Columbus does not look like a playoff team.

ouch

73. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Reja:

One of my favourite players

74. Glovjuice says:

Halfwise: Must be exhausting, being you.

Very. No medication yet though. Aside from ethanol, codeine, cannabis, and, rarely, psilocybin. But, mostly ethanol and codeine. The others actually exacerbate anxiety – at least for me.

75. Glovjuice says:

Reja: Just admit deep down you like Leon the Maschine

Well, he really has improved defensively.

76. Glovjuice says:

Admiral Ackbar: ouch

Yeah, they might have set themselves up for the totally fucked moniker in short order. Yikes.

77. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Please stick to music. Most of your recent posts have lacked class.

Let me ask you this.

Please name your top 10 fave songs of 2018-19
    Top 10 of the last 10 yrs
    Top 10 of all time
    Top 10 artists of last 10 yrs
    Top 10 of all time

78. Johnny skid says:

OriginalPouzar:

Not massive 5-bell saves but important stops.

was his glove hand to your satisfaction though?

79. OriginalPouzar says:

who: You’ve been arguing against Sekera playing 2RD for quite a while.When did you change your mind?
    You have also been suggesting signing Stralman for 2RD.
    But just for fun,if you thought we could sign at least 2 expensive free agents,how would you go about creating the cap space for them?

Yes, I have been against Sekera at 2RD and I remain against Sekera at 2RD if possible. Yes, my preferene is to move Russell to open up the rest of the cap space needed to sign a Stralman at 2 X $4.25.

With that said, I have also been quite express lately that I don’t think the organization is actually going to acquire the external 2RD and the current coaching staff needs to start experimenting with Sekera and/or Nurse and/or Klefbom on the right side.

Also, I have been very much against forcing cap clearing moves in connection with signing expensive free agents – buying out players and taking asset penalties to get rid of cap is what I don’t want (give or take Lucic).

I will play your game at a high level:

Trade Russell clean for essentially no return – may need to retain $500K ($1M max). NTC may be an issue

Manning to AHL – saves just over $1M or traded with $1M retained

Trade Gagner and a 5th in exchange for a 6th – traded to a cap floor team to buy him out – resign at $2M savings.

Trade Lucic at $3M retained – a small sweetener, if needed (should need much more though). I don’t imagine his NMC will be an issue.

80. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Westchester Oil:
    Columbus does not look like a playoff team.

It is truly amazing how the Oilers have owned them in this of all seasons. Edmonton 2 wins 0 losses 8 Goals For 1 Against

Wasn’t it last year in Edmonton when the CBJ’s looked All World, truly they looked like one of the best teams I’ve ever seen. I thought for sure that team would win the Cup, but their outstanding play only lasted about 14 or 15 games or something.

81. Halfwise says:

Glovjuice: The others actually exacerbate anxiety – at least for me.

You do know that sparring on the Interwebz is also a known contributor to anxiety, right? Avoidance beats any of those medications, with no side effects.

82. Reja says:

hunter1909:
    Re Oilers Defence:

Go back to CP.

Puck moving,righthanded,powerplay quarterback, and minute muncher defenseman. Dont you know there a dime a dozen in the NHL.

83. hunter1909 says:

Nicholson attacking Rieder really takes this disaster of “Kooky Katz” to a new low.

The President of a corporation intentionally singles out one of the lowliest workers imaginable to blame for the mess of his own making.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909:
    Re Oilers Defence:

Go back to CP.

This dope understands the massive gap beteen the CHL and the NHL.

This dope understands that, yes, Bouchard can pass the puck at an NHL level but it take alot more than that to suceed at the NHL level.

This dope is not dissing the organization’s top prospect one iota but is realistic about rate of development.

85. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Apologies to LT and blog for tone of original comment re: military.

My problem is not with any individual that served but with the increasingly militaristic nature of the spectacle, across all North American sports. I don’t want to watch hockey for an orgy of corporate/state propaganda, but I have to. Funny though, the second it becomes critique, the refrain is “keep your politics out of the game” when in reality, thats exactly what I am asking for. What I see across sports is a blending of corporatist, nationalistic, and militaristic imagery and I think its fair ball to speak against it.

Anyway, I don’t ever even have enough to add wrt hockey and I like reading this blog so I wont go further than this, its not what this venue was meant for so again apologies for offending and taking away from a fun (?) game. I didnt read the blog during the game but I can use my imagination.

86. hunter1909 says:

“Red Wine Summit” – Thinly disguised code for bunch of out of touch middle aged dudes getting hammered on expensive instead of rotgut wine like they do down at the other side of the tracks.

Ali G needs to interview the Oilers management. I’m sure none of them have ever heard of him.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Johnny skid: was his glove hand to your satisfaction though?

I don’t think I’ve ever commented on his “glove hand” specifically before – just his overall play.

Yup, he was solid tonight.

88. Maoriduvpoojt says:

OriginalPouzar: Darnell Nurse, in particular, by also Oscar Klefom and Andrej Sekera – established top 4 NHL d-men.

This dope understands the massive gap beteen the CHL and the NHL.

I think Hunter is either quoting Don Cherry or he actually might BE Don Cherry.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Puck moving,righthanded,powerplay quarterback, and minute muncher defenseman. Dontyou know there a dime a dozen in the NHL.

He’s going to be great when he develops in to that at the NHL level.

90. hunter1909 says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    Apologies to LT and blog for tone of original comment re: military.

91. Reja says:

Maoriduvpoojt: One of my favourite players

That’s the wingers we should be targeting for top six 24-25 and ready to bust out big time instead of trying to pick up scrubs from the Dumster pile.

92. hunter1909 says:

@OP: Please don’t let the idiots on Lowetide who hate the fact that you’re a successful person drag you down. It’s simple jealousy.

And to those who know who they are without getting mentioned: You too could have worked as hard as OP did during your formative years, but chose not to. Now, you can please stfu at OP because he makes a lot of interesting points about the Oilers which is something some of us cannot beat.

Attack Woodguy instead.

*runs*

93. hunter1909 says:

From what little I saw of the game tonight it was a pretty good game from the Oilers.

They’re really not that terrible a hockey team. They need a certain pair of OHL defencemen asap and they’ll be good to go.

I hope they’re both on the team by mid point of next season.

94. Glovjuice says:

Maoriduvpoojt: Please stick to music.Most of your recent posts have lacked class.

Let me ask you this.

Passages by Bowery Electric
    Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division
    War Pigs/Luke’s Wall by Black Sabbath
    Childhoods End by Pink Floyd
    Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres by Rush
    ‘The Medley’ by The Beatles off of Abbey Road

But this is an almost impossible question for me to answer. Anyways, this playlist is one for the ages.

95. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:
  96. Biggus Dickus says:

Just go home from work, and my buddy sent me this meme. https://imgur.com/a/ErpoUpd . Catching up with the news, I just have one question. What are we even trying to do here.

97. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    Apologies to LT and blog for tone of original comment re: military.

FWIW, your comments didn’t offend me, I believe in freedom of choice to my core, that why I served (there is a long line of service in my family).

Nothing you said should have been insulting, but the other poster’s comment pissed me off to the core and I had to take a few minutes to respond respectfully.

I also believe that folks have a right to kneel during anrthems, I love my flag, but I love the Country and it is the people who make a nation great, not the symbols. I think pro sports should do away with anthem singing, it serves no practical purpose.

To make a 180 on this comment I think it would be great if a team song was sung at the start of the game. I love what TFC did to create their atmosphere/fan involvement, etc. I’ve always thought, even since the 80’s that Edmonton fans are the quietest in maybe all of hockey, it’d be amazing to change that.

Anyway, thank you for the apology. Cheers!

98. Biggus Dickus says:

hunter1909:

This is America is the funniest thing I’ve watched in a long time.

99. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Glovjuice: Well, that’s a lot to list at crash time but a quick top 10 songs of all time are about:

Heroes by Bowie
    Then She Did by Janes Addiction
    The End by The Doors
    Hyacinth House by The Doors
    Passages by Bowery Electric
    Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division
    War Pigs/Luke’s Wall by Black Sabbath
    Childhoods End by Pink Floyd
    Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres by Rush
    ‘The Medley’ by The Beatles off of Abbey Road

But this is an almost impossible question for me to answer.Anyways, this playlist is one for the ages.

Awesome!

Thank you Mrs(?) Juice!

100. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: He’s going to be great when he develops in to that at the NHL level.

101. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Biggus Dickus: This is America is the funniest thing I’ve watched in a long time.

It’s a matter of taste, but I have never laughed so hard for so long as I did for Borat (much to my ex’s embarrassment/annoyance). T is A is pretty funny, but it is deeply disturbing that these people are in positions of influence.

102. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Reja: Bouchard except for maybe physicality reminds me of a young Guy Lapointe and he was a fantastic player to watch.

I am very optimistic about Bouchard, like The Oil Knight mentioned in his post about Bouch that I linked early in the comment section (paraphrasing here) he has so many offensive tricks up his sleeve, it is not a question of if he can produce, it is when.

103. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– so was this win more attributable to the team playing better or the goalie?

– I’m not provoking- just trying to reconcile my perspective which is that Koski is fine when the team shows up and he gets no mention but when the team plays poorly which results in goals let in he’s the culprit more than the team play.

– Why won’t there be headlines talking about his saves tomorrow or how much heart he showed for stepping up and being game?

– Is Koski inconsistently because he’s a bad goalie or because his team is inconsistent?

104. Glovjuice says:

Maoriduvpoojt: Awesome!

Thank you Mrs(?) Juice!

Ms. The list is all from the towering giants (aside from Janes and Bowery) so it makes it seem as though I am all ” classic rock” but if the list expanded to 30-50 there would be way more “newer stuff”. I own 3000 CDS, 500 LPS, and well, thousands of downloads (most paid for unfortunately) so I have a lot of favourite songs and bands. Also a huge fan of classical western and eastern music so my lists are endless I suppose.

105. Glovjuice says:

Me as well. That guy is funny.

106. Glovjuice says:

If I just post a weekly track listing from my mixed tapes/CDs on Sat/Sun morning it would be the best way to get my full list of all eras. Of course, classical/ jazz / early music/ experimental etc is not on these mixes.

107. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Glovjuice:

That would be HUGELY appreciated Ms. Juice 😀

Thank you so much!

108. Admiral Ackbar says:

hunter1909:

109. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, I have been against Sekera at 2RD and I remain against Sekera at 2RD if possible.Yes, my preferene is to move Russell to open up the rest of the cap space needed to sign a Stralman at 2 X $4.25.

I will play your game at a high level:

Trade Russell clean for essentially no return – may need to retain $500K ($1M max).NTC may be an issue

Manning to AHL – saves just over $1M or traded with $1M retained

Trade Lucic at $3M retained – a small sweetener, if needed (should need much more though).I don’t imagine his NMC will be an issue.

You haven’t accounted for the replacement player cost in your cap savings. Let’s assume league minimum of 700k.

Trading Russell with 500k retained saves 2.8 million on the cap.
    Manning to AHL saves 400k.
    Trading Lucic with 3 million retained saves 2.3million on the cap.
    Total cap savings 5.5 million.

I can’t give you the Gagner trade unless you throw in a much better sweetener. What team takes on the Gagner contract just to upgrade from a 6th round pick to a 5th. If this were true Vancouver or Edmonton would have ditched him a long time ago.

My 2 trades involving Sekera, Lucic and JP for nothing saves 10.6 million. I will send Manning to the minors as well to make it an even 11 million. I think my 2 trades are at least as plausible as your 2.

I know which path I’d take.

You are right though, if the Oilers don’t use the cap space wisely, there is no point in trading assets to acquire it. The Oilers don’t exactly have a stellar record in this regard.

110. Bag of Pucks says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Bag of Pucks,

It is funny that you chose to use the phrase ‘delicate sensibilities’ considering the temper tantrum you had when another poster made comments that you found disrespectful. It has nothing to do with ‘delicate sensibilities’, it is about respecting others.

I apologized for that behaviour the next day and was humbled by the acceptance of that apology by so many of the good people that choose to spend time here.

The fact you’ve chosen to throw that in my face not once but twice today to support your thin argument says everything about your class or lack thereof imo.

Humour is subjective. If you want to censor others, may I suggest Twitter as a more suitable home for your social justice?

111. Bag of Pucks says:

Anyone slagging our service personnel should probably watch this again….

112. Reja says:

Maoriduvpoojt: I am very optimistic about Bouchard, like The Oil Knight mentionedin his post about Bouch that I linked early in the comment section (paraphrasing here) he has so many offensive tricks up his sleeve, it is not a question of if he can produce, it is when.

Lapointe was mobile, could pass, good shot , he also could sneak in at the right time for many a goal.Bouchard has all these qualities and instincts I was glad they picked him can’t wait to watch him develop into something special.

113. OilClog says:

Is this the point rosy cheeks Wayne takes Nicks out back or does everyone just walk away?

I blame Kassian for not potting 30 🤷‍♂️

114. Reja says:

Lots of fights in NHL tonight everyone’s angry maybe because it’s the first day of spring.

115. Alpine says:

who: Again, I don’t want to take salary back. Defeats the purpose.

I don’t know if that’s possible or a necessarily a good idea.

Chicago didn’t take back salary when they moved Bickell but they lost Teravainen in the process. Not sure that’s worth it. Whatever cap benefit Chicago saw (and it did help them get compliant), they didn’t really improve their roster as a result and they missed out on the prime years of a good young forward.

Getting say 4 million (if you retain 2 mil) off the cap in 2021 if you acquire a bad deal with two years left is still something. Basically for the four years remaining of Lucic’s contract, you would see a good cap benefit in half of those seasons.

If the oilers disposed of Lucic’s cap hit it in full they could obviously use that cap space to bring in someone good. But they would have lose a player in Puljujarvi that could have been cheap and useful or a part of a trade for a veteran winger or something else.

116. Fiveinatrailer says:

Material Elvis,

Oilers new gm to Tobias: “would you like to buy in to our future or are you just curious?”

Tobias “you could say I’m buy- curious”

Took me a while but finally caught on to the hardley knew ya. Show was so under rated…

117. Dr. Taboggan says:

Bag of Pucks,

I know you apologized. It was necessary.

I also did not ask you to delete your earlier post. I have no desire to censor you. I merely made an observation about a pattern of (my opinion here obviously but others agreed) disrespectful posts by you. I honestly enjoy your thoughts about hockey. I just find the rest of your schtick very tired.

The fact that you think jokes about rape are funny and continue to defend them says everything about your class or lack thereof imo.

118. Buddy says:

Just saw all of Nicholson’s remarks on Rieder on Sportsnet. Holy F.

On the positive side going forward, what a gift to Katz. He can fire Nicholson for this and not even the red wine club can say boo.

119. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

***small sample size alert***

– Since we have had 6 bona-fide NHL D: that coincides with Sek’s return, Koski has started 14 games. He has won 8 of those games in regulation, lost 4 (and two others in shoot-out).

– Thats a 103 point pace team that Koski is back-stopping

– It’s not right to say that Koski has to be better : this is a goalie who wins more games than he loses behind real D, and gives the team the chance to win more than not when he’s starting

120. Reja says:

Connor 2nd Leon 4th in league scoring and we’re hoping the lottery balls drop right for us how is that possible. Lose a couple of draft picks and assets to dump some cap space and get someone that can score.

121. hunter1909 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Anyone slagging our service personnel should probably watch this again….

122. Bag of Pucks says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Bag of Pucks,

I know you apologized. It was necessary.

Your holier than thou snowflake shtick is boring and so are you. Good night.

123. hunter1909 says:

Reja:
    Connor 2nd Leon 4th in league scoring and we’re hoping the lottery balls drop right for us how is that possible. Lose a couple of draft picks and assets to dump some cap space and getsomeone that can score.

They’re both special players. All they need is a pair of defencemen who don’t handle the puck like it’s a live grenade(keeping with the war motif) lol

124. Bag of Pucks says:

hunter1909: Please stop with the passive/aggressive patriotism. No one is slagging anyone. My ancestors stormed the Normandy Beaches and prior to that the Somme battlefields. This is 2019. Those days are long gone along with the men who fought in those conflicts. Nicholson’s sickening mentality has got more to do with the reasons my ancestors went to war in the first place, if that helps.

The dirty work is still the dirty work so i don’t see much honour in denigrating those doing it on our behalf. And that’s just one man’s opinion.

125. BONE207 says:

hunter1909: It makes me want to puke watching: USA USA USA Military displays at NHL games; ditto RCMP and C.A.N.A.D.A. propaganda at NHL games, because like you say they both promote values which don’t necessarily reflect mine, lol

Oh Hunter…
    Nobody has values anywhere near what yours may be. Jaded by this jilted love for this Disorganization will damage all of us. We should start into the whiskey one night & see what secrets that reveals…for old times sake.

126. hunter1909 says:

Nurse should the fools actually keep him should also develop into a good enough puck carrying defenceman.

Too bad Oilers are so fucking terrified of player agents, otherwise they might be able to browbeat him down a couple of million by adding more term etc. Instead they will probably offer both too much and term just to make a mess of everything.

127. hunter1909 says:

BONE207: Oh Hunter…

Oddly enough I’m firmly on the wagon right now.

Usually that means I’m already looking to jump off.

Fortunately the Oilers don’t affect me all that much anymore. If at all.

128. Sierra says:

anjinsan:
    It’s not Chiarelli’s multitude of bad moves.

Achtung!It comes down to one player not named Lucic — Toby Rieder.

Gosh, LT, the best one can do to support the Oilers is run Nicholson out of town.That’s Trump level shamelessness to say it’s Rieder’s fault.One wonders how low the collective opinion is of Nicholson among all the other NHL POHOs and GMs and coaches for uttering such sewage.

And players and agents.

Without knowing the full context, this doesn’t look good on the Oilers. I’d fire Bobby Nic unless the entire context doesn’t look as bad as it does right now.

129. Wilde says:

buck yoakam:
    As a layman hockey junky here on the east coast I relish my time reading the insightful and playful rhetoric on this blog…I also am not surprised with the work put into the comments …your work is really appreciated and so incredibly well thought out I had to thank you…look forward to your next article…

Love getting replies like this. That’s fantastic and I thank you.

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    Apologies to LT and blog for tone of original comment re: military.

I have deep-laden anti-war instincts as well, I got what you were laying down but it was something that, on one hand, would easily fly in a closed group where everyone’s leftist or at least on the same page with regards to modern military culture and reverence – but on the other hand too polemically (in rhetoric, not style; I don’t think you were trying to be a dick) put for general public(ish) places.

It’s kind of like how I (and friends) have had horrific experiences with the police and subsequently stuff to say about them(the institution! not the people!) too, but it’s generally a bad idea to do so in most situations.

I feel like our country has co-opted the practice of pretending clearly political demonstrations or conversations are magically apolitical from the US and then combined that with our quietly-fall-in-line culture (as opposed to the US’s loudly-fall-in-line shtick).

Hard disagree, you can make the playoffs with literal dogshit at forward as long as you have at least the 10th-15th best starter in the NHL and four top-four defencemen

Honestly any take that foregrounds some logic like “you can’t win with this guy” is automatically wrong in hockey

130. hunter1909 says:

Sierra: And players and agents.

You can go back to Lowe’s 3rd Tier fans comments… MacT’s babbling on Skype to Kreuger, Literally every word Dallas Eakins ever spoke, the vilification of 2 time memorial Cup MVP and soon to be Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall…

…Oh Hell make that Sheldon Souray’s treatment and before that and you start to sense that the Oilers are a whole lot less respected outside of rookie juniors aged 18 years old than anyone realises.

131. hunter1909 says:

PS: Toss in Krazy Katz’s comments prior to buying the team re all of the “world class” facilities Edmonton was getting to match the cutting edge Oilers – All of which turned to dust in the cold hard light of a -34.444 day.

132. BONE207 says:

hunter1909: Oddly enough I’m firmly on the wagon right now.

Usually that means I’m already looking to jump off.

Fortunately the Oilers don’t affect me all that much anymore. If at all.

Yes, I understood that from our previous conversations. I only said it as the wind down to this ugly season will allow for some pent up thoughts to be freed by the slippery whiskey. Or we can cheer for the Jets!!!

133. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    OriginalPouzar,

– so was this win more attributable to the team playing better or the goalie?

I don’t agree with the perspective that “when the team shows up, he’s good” and he he only has shitty games when the team does. You can often tell very early when he’s off, even before the team has had a chance to play shitty.

There have been plenty of game this year when the team was playing find and it was soured by poor tending. Don’t forget how much of a momentum game this is. A bad goal against can (and often does) change the games and create momentum.

I don’t write the headlines so I can’t speak to those. I have, as I always do when he plays well, gave the goalie props for some solid play last night – that should have been expected given the workload and quality of shots.

134. OriginalPouzar says:

London, Guelph, Halifax and Drummodville each start their 1st round series tonight – I’m thinking of buying the Guelph game over the London game – Samorukov time!

135. who says:

Alpine: I don’t know if that’s possible or a necessarily a good idea.

Depends what you can do with the cap space.
    If the goal is to sign some difference makers for next year you have to clear a lot of cap.
    I would prefer to retain 3 million on Lucic and keep JP but that would still recuire a significant sweetener to be included, in my opinion.

136. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:

Are you sure? I’m told that a goalie’s performance is essentially tied almost directly and exclusively to the performance of the team and the defence. Are you implying that actual abilities of a goalie can make a difference over and above the performance of the defence?

137. OriginalPouzar says:

Sure, he’s facing more high danger chances but he’s also stopping a lower percentage of them.

Some other goalies that face more high danger scoring chances than average – Dubnyk, Andersson, Holty, MAF – two of those (Andersson, MAF) will receive Vezina votes.

How can they perform so well if their defensive group is allowing so many quality changes? Ability?

I think if we are being honest, we can acknowledge that, yes, the defensive group and the chances given up with effect the performance of the goaltender, however, at the same time, the goaltender must perform as well and there are good to great goaltenders than can perform well, consistently, even when facing lots of high danger chances – on the season, Koskinen has not performed well.

138. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: Mikko Koskinen’s 5 on 5 HDSV% is 58th in the NHL among goalies that have played greater than 500 minutes (Talbot is 48th).

Actually he is facing the 30th most high danger shots from that same sample, so if we are looking at shot location and the amount of shots from the slot, he is seeing about league average. And as you point out, he is stopping a below than average amount of them.

In Talbots first year here, he was having trouble of playing too close to the net and was not making himself big enough ( should have been challenging shooters more) There was a meme going around “Cam Net” as he was consistently backing up too close to the net. He also had trouble with his glove and I remember some short side goals going in. This was all worked on.

Talbot ended up with a .917 save % in front of a defense that year that was worse than what we have seen this year, even with the injuries.

I see many of the same issues that Talbot had in 15-16 are the same for Mikko this year. Not making himself big enough, glove hand etc. I am wondering if its goaltending coaching and wonder if they can work this out like Talbot was able to, even though it didnt last.

139. OriginalPouzar says:

Here is hoping that Koskinen can work on some of the things he’s struggled with this years, although, at 30 plus year’s of age, I’m not sure its prudent to suggest that he’s going to improve that much – maybe, I don’t know.

As an aside, where were you able to find HD shots against for goalies? I think I can find them for teams but not individual goalies.

140. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar:

As an aside, where were you able to find HD shots against for goalies?I think I can find them for teams but not individual goalies.

natural stat trick
    hover over the players tab
    “goalies” will be the 3rd option
    click on that

list of goalies will pop up and you can use the tab “rates or counts”

141. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: natural stat trick
    hover over the players tab
    “goalies” will be the 3rd option
    click on that

list of goalies will pop up and you can use the tab “rates or counts”

I’m an idiot, I knew that – I’m not sure why I thought I couldn’t find that info.

Thanks.

142. deardylan says:

Kinger and OP! A great discussion…

« Older Comments