What a Day!

The Edmonton Oilers had an eventful day and the fallout may be headline news for some time. While the news of the day rocketed around the world, 97 and 29 did their bullet train and flattened the Blue Jackets. Jarmo Kekalainen might be famous for something other than passing on Jesse Puljujarvi and the Oilers helped that story along, too. It was quite the night.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Jonathan Willis: Bob Nicholson’s misguided Tobias Rieder comments reveal deeper problems within Oilers management
  • New Jonathan Willis: Ken Hitchcock knows why Edmonton has trouble exiting its zone, but lacks the players to fix it.
  • Lowetide: Trimming cap fat and adding speed and skill will shape Oilers’ offseason.
  • Jonathan Willis: Former Canucks architects Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman should be considered for any vacant NHL GM job
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers need to drastically revamp their forward group.
  • Lowetide: Identifying the risk and the right price if the Oilers were to trade Adam Larsson (to Toronto?)
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ prospect Tyler Benson’s rookie AHL season a revelation.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how much the Oilers should be willing to spend on pending free agent Alex Chiasson.
  • Jonathan Willis: Keith Gretzky is a legitimate Oilers GM candidate, but would be a hard sell in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can build a contender during Connor McDavid’s prime.
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers aren’t good, but this group has more potential than teams from the decade of darkness
  • Lowetide: Bob Nicholson’s search continues for the Oilers new tomorrow, but at a leisurely pace.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Leon Draisaitl has found ‘another level’ by matching offensive wizardry with sound positioning.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

OILERS AFTER 74

• Oilers in 2015: 29-38-7, 65 points; goal differential -34
  • Oilers in 2016: 40-25-9, 89 points; goal differential +25
  • Oilers in 2017: 33-36-5, 71 points; goal differential -30
  • Oilers in 2018: 33-34-7, 73 points; goal differential -26

Honestly, what a night. The Oilers aren’t going to make the playoffs, but a win on Saturday gets them to 75 points in 75 games. It means they have a chance to salvage something out of a lost season.

OILERS IN MARCH

• Oilers in March 2016: 6-4-0, 12 points; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in March 2017: 6-3-1, 13 points; goal differential +12
  • Oilers in March 2018: 5-4-1, 11 points; goal differential +4
  • Oilers in March 2019: 6-4-0, 12 points; goal differential -1

WHAT TO EXPECT IN MARCH?

• On the road to: Columbus, Buffalo (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 2-0-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Toronto, NY Rangers, NJD (Expected 2-1-1) (Actual 2-2-0)
  • On the road to: Arizona, Vegas, St. Louis (Expected: 0-2-1) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • At home to: Columbus, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Dallas, Anaheim (Expected: 3-1-1) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-5-4, 14 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 6-4-0, 12 points in ten games

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Sekera-Benning were 18-8 in 17:10, 7-2 shots, 1-0 goals and 3-2 HDSC. Sekera really brings calm to the duo. Went 15-5 in 11:28 against Wennberg-Jenner-Bjorkstrand. In terms of 5-on-5 time on ice, this pairing passed Nurse-Russell to become the second pair on the night.
  • Nurse-Russell went 21-11 in 16:49, 8-5 shots, 2-0 goals and 4-3 HDSC. Nurse had a good game to my eye, Russell gave away the puck a couple of times and double clutched on a pass to 97, but otherwise had a good night. Pairing went 5-7 in 9:33 against Panarin-Duchene-Anderson (no goals) and 7-4 in 6:52 (1-0 goals) against Dzingel-Dubois-Atkinson.
  • Klefbom-Larsson were 15-21 in 21:48, 4-12 shots, 0-1 goals and 3-4 HDSC. Went 5-10 in 9:55 against Panarin-Duchene-Anderson (no goals) and 3-8 in 7:54 (0-1 goals) against against Dzingel-Dubois-Atkinson.
  • Mikko Koskinen stopped 18 of 19, .947.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Nuge-McDavid-Kassian were 8-8 in 12 minutes, 3-2 shots, 0-1 goals and 0-3 HDSC. Each man had considerable game success but it did not arrive for this trio.
  • Lucic-Draisaitl-Chiasson went 7-4 in 8:25, 2-3 shots, no goals and 0-1 HDSC. It’s almost like Hitchcock starts the game with these ‘false front’ lines and then waits to bring out the bullet train later on.
  • Rieder-Cave-Gagner were 9-4 in 8:10, 2-0 shots and HDSC’s. This is a group that is having success, Cave may not be back in the fall but is building a case.
  • Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian went 7-4 in 5:51, 4-1 shots, 2-0 goals and 3-0 HDSC. This line is magic.
  • Lucic-Nuge-Chiasson were 4-4 in 5:25, 1-3 shots, no goals and 1-1 HDSC.
  • Gambardella-Brodziak-Currie went 9-4 in 3:52, 3-2 shots, 1-0 goals and 0-2 HDSC. That was a huge goal and the possession number reflects dogged forechecking. Music!

Jon did a splendid job in describing the last 24 hours, I agree with him in all areas. The comments by Nicholson are not a surprise, one imagines several or most management people have said that or worse about Rieder, Milan Lucic and various other members of the team. It probably got said about Ryan Strome a lot.

Thing is, Nicholson said it in public. I have, on several occasions (mostly at The Athletic) commented that Nicholson’s casual style is a good fit for Edmonton. The one thing he had been able to do (water aside) is avoid a ghastly public moment ala “if you have to ask the question” or “in case that’s ever an issue” from past administrations.

We are here. The Oilers are once again exposed as an organization that is run as a throwback business, refusing to adapt and unaware the world around them has discovered new solutions to problems.

I’ve reached the following conclusion: The next GM is a dead man walking, no matter who it is. I keep mentioning the Jim Devellano book The Road to Hockeytown because there are many parallels. An owner who is aggressive but takes time to learn the nuance of the game and winning; a general manager who makes some of his own mistakes but is also made busy by the work of the owner in areas he shouldn’t be operating; additional help that gives the duo direction and more success; ultimate success. Here’s what it looked like in chronological order:

• Jim Devellano 1982 to 1990, conference finals in 1987 and 1988 (some Oilers stories with those Red Wings teams).
  • Bryan Murray 1990 to 1994, Red Wings begin the playoff streak that would reach 25 years. Devellano remained in the organization as a vice president.
  • Jim Devellano and Scotty Bowman, 1994 to 1997, this team won the team’s first Stanley in forever.
  • Ken Holland, 1997 to 2018, Stanley Cups in 1998, 2002 and 2008.

Where are the Oilers currently on this map? Incredibly, over a decade into this nonsense, it’s probably at the period where Bryan Murray arrived.

We can discuss Nicholson’s future but it’s likely he remains in his current post and hires the next general manager (and possibly POHO). In Calgary, management has embraced analytics, built a team and is procuring young talent more than capably. Edmonton? Won the lottery.

The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Bob Nicholson’s comments, Oilers down the stretch.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. How will the Nicholson comments impact the team, and the future?
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Nicholson. I spoke to Iwanyk yesterday about our segment today, suggesting we talk March Madness, Jays, Oil. He said “something’ll come up” and he was right.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

247 Responses to "What a Day!"

« Older Comments
  1. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0: You could also say that he was angry that they traded their 2nd best player who would go on to win a Hart Trophy for a decent Dman who NJD assistant coach Adam Oates characterized as “a good 2nd pairing Dman”

Your mileage may vary.

Yah but Hall was a loCkErOOm cAnCer !!!1!!

2. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Bouchard with his second assist of the game to go with his two goals – a PP assist – the PP does run through him, that’s for sure.

Yeah he’s a bum.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo: You can tell a lot about a persons’ training from their instagram only until you can’t. So what if he isn’t like most others? What does that even mean lol?

A quick scroll through McDavid’s Instagram shows a lot of personal pics and a few #TeamAdidas workout clips. Would you question his off_season training the same way?

Geez

4. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: i refuse to die. My belief refuses to go away. I live in distorted reality ….

The longer WC2 sits in the 3 or 4 games above .500;Edmonton still has an OUTSIDE shot ..

LISTEN LINDA.The worst 2 teams in the NHL are coming in next.We have to assume Edmonton wins both those games. If they lose either their slim playoff hopes are officially done. SO even though it won’t be easy, LET’S ASSUME THEY WIN BOTH THOSE GAMES.

That puts them 1 game over .500.

So the MASSIVE GAME becomes Dallas on Thursday.again, assume the Oilers find a way. Then the lowly Ducks come into town.

a 5 – 0 Home Stand, which is possible given the competition that is coming in, would leave Edmonton at 3 Games over .500 with 4 tough games left.

I’M TELLING YOU THERE’S A CHANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Oil2Oilers says:

Bouchard has been dominant in tonight’s game. He is too good for the CHL at this time.

A bad habit of dominant players, especially defensemen, is to stand around flat footed. For me working this habit out of his game will be the biggest learning curve for Bouchard.

I am pleased he is an Oiler, but sad that the 18 months in the AHL and 2 years in the NHL to become an NHL difference maker is 3 & 1/2 years more of misery on the Oiler RHD.

6. JOFA says:

The best part of Gregor’s interview was when Bob was fumbling around with his bat phone while Mr. Katz was calling him hahaha. Priceless.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers:

While I clearly agree with substantial AHL time, I won’t put any timeline on it and, while I will agree that, when he hits the NHL, it should be on the 3rd pairing with PP time, I won’t put a timeline on when he becomes a legit top 4 guy. Different d-men develop at different speeds and high high hockey IQ doesn’t slump!

With respect to bad habits, I’ve actually got a bit of a concern about the development of the defensive game of Benson and Marody given how dominant that line has been – they really spend almost no time in the defensive zone. 75% of the shifts are spent dominating posession.

8. Glovjuice says:

Dustylegnd: Like I said previously, Nickel Bob inspired 0 confidence at the “Chia has been fired” presser, Bob had a quiver in his voice, looked like he wanted to cry and was completely unsure of what the future may or may not hold

When you have to consult with every other team executive at the NHL winter meetings on how and who to hire as your next GM…..you are defacto useless and should be persona non gratta…..

Good lord this team is just a running JOKE

Yeah, this man is a fucking pussy. Disgraceful display. What a sad, sad state of affairs. Disgusting, actually.

9. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar: Maybe you should read through the second paragraph of my post as I spoke to directly that.

Geez

I did. I even asked what you meant by “I can’t say he was like most others.”

I will never think bad on a person for being committed to his/her kid but I do question Aberg’s off-season training.To be clear, I’m not saying he didn’t train hard and wasn’t dedicated to it but I can’t say he was like most others.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I read it as “I’m not saying he didn’t train hard but I’m not saying he did either.” based purely on his Instagram. Kind of a contradictory paragraph as you literally question his off-season training then way you aren’t questioning his off-season training.

Anyway, wasn’t trying to single you out there. Just irks me when people (doesn’t matter who) try to interpret things based off Instagram or social media in general, as if it’s a portal to a person’s entire life.

10. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: Bouchard just had an unreal shift – skating circles around the defenders in the offensive zone – forwards and backward and making slick plays with his hands in tight spaces – never knew he had that type of stickhandling.

While I clearly agree with substantial AHL time, I won’t put any timeline on it and, while I will agree that, when he hits the NHL, it should be on the 3rd pairing with PP time, I won’t put a timeline on when he becomes a legit top 4 guy.Different d-men develop at different speeds and high high hockey IQ doesn’t slump!

With respect to bad habits, I’ve actually got a bit of a concern about the development of the defensive game of Benson and Marody given how dominant that line has been – they really spend almost no time in the defensive zone.75% of the shifts are spent dominating posession.

11. Dr. Taboggan says:

Am I high right now??!?!! According to nhl.com Brad Hunt played over 17 minutes in a Minnesota win tonight, allegedly he has played 34 games tallying 12 points this season (Brodziak has 9 lol)!

12. Oil2Oilers says:

The younger Foudy brother (Jean Luck) a 2020 draft eligible has impressed me all game. Great skaters often do.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Guelph with the empty netter to win game 1 4-2 – Samorukov finishes with the one assist and 4 shots on net.

London hang on for a 4-3 win but the score wasn’t indicative of the game – Two goals in 9 seconds in the last minute made it look closer

Bouchard was, by far, the best player on the ice – just an unreal game – in addition to his 2G and 2A he defended well, showed solid speed on one backcheck to catch up with the play an negate a 2 on 1, of course, great passing, excellent as the PP QB and some sick hands and moves in the offensive zone on one shift. Great performance.

Bouch was on the ice for the 3rd goal against – Windsor got a quick strike 2 on 1 down low and he had to come from the far side and got caught kind of in between the two players – was a tough play.

14. Oil2Oilers says:

Fair points, just trying to temper my own expectations. I still posit that Larsson, Russell and Sekera ‘s contracts will all be up before we know for sure what Bouchard is at the NHL level.

15. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar: Damn you, you’ve got me checking the out of town scoreboard again – I had come to terms….

Dare to Dream OP. Lets take care of business tomorrow. The Oilers have laid some home ice eggs against poor teams, so OTT is no Given. Win tomorrow and reaach fake .500.
    Takea deep breath and be ready for the Kings( that will be a Trap game and tough to win).

If they win those 2 then we can talk Wednesday !

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto back in the lineup.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo: I did. I even asked what you meant by “I can’t say he was like most others.”

Unlike Drai, Nurse, Larsson, etc., who I see working out, I never saw Aberg working out – that’s all I was saying and I was very clear that it doesn’t mean he wasn’t working out.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Marody with a beauty of the PP goal – an absolute beauty assist by Callahan – never imagine he had that type of skill/vision.

Benson with the 2nd assist.

That must have been a set play and, wow!

19. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168: Isn’t dominating possession and offensive zone time a good defence. 200 foot away. Daryl Sutter quote

Well, yes, however I don’t expect them to quite have that type of success in the NHL.

Point, obliviously, they aren’t getting many reps in the defensive zone, developing that part of their game.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Dr. Taboggan:

Why is that such a surprise? He played 45 games for a very good Vegas team last year.

21. Ben says:

Gustavsson, Hunt, Oesterle. Even when they draft well they don’t draft well.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Ontario ties it up on a PP as a point shot is deflected past Starrett.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors falling apart here.

The Reign tied it up on a Lagesson penalty – coming out of the box Lagesson took an unsportsmanlike then half way in to the PP, Jones takes an interference penalty to put them down 2 – now, seconds later Stanton takes another unsportsmanlike.

Oh, check that, they gave Stanton 10, not 2, so if won’t effect the SH situation.

Still.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Rein score on the PP and take a 2-1 lead.

Starrett got run over at the top of the crease but, some how, the officials all missed it – he scrambled back and got re-set, but still.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson ties it right back up.

Now 2nd in the AHL in rookie scoring and two points clear of Lander for best Condor season ever.

Jones and, shockingly, Maordy, with assists.

26. slopitch says:

Ben:
    Gustavsson, Hunt, Oesterle. Even when they draft well they don’t draft well.

Ya but who is gonna break the cycles and block the shots!

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Condor win the o-zone faceoff on a PP but Bear the forward pokes it by Bear who made a bad decision, clear cut breakaway and the Rein lead 3-2.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben:
    Gustavsson, Hunt, Oesterle. Even when they draft well they don’t draft well.

They didn’t sign Osterle – they signed him to an AHL deal out of college (I believe) and then an NHL deal.

Gustaffson’s first full NHL season was in his draft plus 6 year as a 26-27 year old – some Oiler fans have given up on Puljujarvi at 20 years old.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Callahan ties it up from Jones and Yamamoto.

Ooop, Poeli gives the Condors the lead a 4-3 – Callahan with a 3 point night as he wins the faceoff.

30. Ben says:

OriginalPouzar: they signed him as a 35 year old

Ah, the Roy Hobbs deal.

31. Scungilli Slushy says:

There is a difference in how prospects will come in to the NHL obviously.

When you have a first round pick or higher first round pick, and they have a well rounded tool box, are motivated players that have dominated lower leagues, there is a very solid chance they will also be good NHL players. Or better.

Bouchard may not be a world beater, but the chances of him being a flop are very low. EXCEPT for the organizational aspect to his chances.

This is where the Oilers have been terrible. Tampa looks genius right now, but it’s that they draft the best attributes and enhance them.

The Oiler fails have been largely in picking players with large deficiencies based on not even seeing those issues because they fall in love and do no diligence.

Gagner is back, and he’s still got the same issues he had from day one. Yak. Schremp, Cogs, on and on.

If a prospect has battle, skill, and can skate well or better if they are healthy (including addiction issues) and given the time needed, and used correctly when called up, they will succeed in some way in the NHL.

The ones that don’t often have the same issues. The first being they can’t skate well enough. In the past the Oilers drafted players that weren’t skilled enough because they wanted size first. Another is they aren’t hard working enough and won’t do the work that it takes in any world class league in any sport to stick. And another is they are either unusually small or big, and those have their own challenges.

If you have a prospect who is a typical size (there is a reason that in established leagues certain ‘prototypes’ become established, because it’s the right physical fit for the demands of the position), has the required skill and mobility, and has the drive to succeed which these days includes big time training dedication, then there is a low chance of a complete failure if the player is healthy.

Once you draft lower there are issues that kept the player out of the high draft slots and the chances lower.

I wouldn’t worry, outside of the org influence, about Bouchard or JP. Yama I would a bit because he is so small and keeps getting hurt in the A. Bear and Persson more again because they are smaller and Bear has mobility issues. Berglund because he may have skating and skill issues.

Samurokov should be fine. Jones is a bit small as his knock but not a lot, Lagesson is harder to read because he is rounded but may be a bit lean on skating, but because he’s so rounded he could surprise, usage will be key with him

McLeod had skill concerns but his size and speed should mean a job if he’s dedicated, Marody has speed and size against him, Benson speed and health, Joe G speed and skill but his drive should get him a 4th line role, etc etc.

Oiler drafting has been a lot better in providing prospects with a good chance of succeeding. Players from lower rounds as well.

So when we look at other teams, and we see Hughes on the Dys and Bouchard on the Oilers, I think we should feel our player has a better chance of being the better player, all things considered.

The team needs to pull it’s head out of it’s ass and recognize what it has on hand, a lot. Give us better players, even if young, rather than vets with that can’t be substantial in their roles.

Burgers can say slow play, but that only works for teh big club if the vets you have or get are better than the farm or prospects. A big mystery depending on the new GM. Hasn’t happened in a while for the Oilers.

32. YKOil says:

ArmchairGM: You know the ask will be Draisaitl,right?

And that would be the line to not cross. I would consider Bouchard however.

I do not think they sign Duchene. They will rebuild on Dubois/Werenski.

33. Glovjuice says:

Coiler:
    Rieder is looking like the classy one in comparison to Nicholson. Who would have said or thoughtthat eh?

I feel bad for the kid. He knows he’s having a bad year and his confidence was already shot to shit. Having this boob make that sort of comment in public is downright criminal. You have to wonder what would have been said if Drai was having an off year or heaven forbid, McJesus.

Nicholson really isn’t made for the NHL it seems. Perhaps he needs to go back to HockeyCanada and be chummy with the elites of the game for the rest of his days as this type of adversity isn’t within his abilities to grasp.

If I were McJesus I would call my agent and tell him to get on a line with Nicholson and Katz and outline that Booby needs to beat it or a trade demand would be submitted. Why? Because he’s the Captain and the president of the club just undermined him and one of his teammates by going public with some very retarded comments. Hold people accountable for the love of the baby Jesus.

Gents, the good ship Oiler is adrift and nearing the rocks. And no one seems to be willing to take the helm. Who the hell would jump ship from another organization to take this one on?

This stuff.

34. Suntory Hanzo says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Great post.

35. Ari says:

SwedishPoster,

The Athletic has an article today on Mike Gillis’ worldwide quest on what makes teams consistently successful and others lacking. In short, elite teams ensure everyone from top to bottom is onboard with the same goal. This is where the Oilers fall apart.

36. SwedishPoster says:

OriginalPouzar: It seems like pretty much all professional atheletes I follow make posts regarding their workouts on social media – Aberg was one of the very few execptions – it was noticeable.

Him posting pictures of himself hanging out with his daughter rather than workout videos could be because unlike the other guys he actually has a daughter…

37. OriginalPouzar says:

YKOil: And that would be the line to not cross.I would consider Bouchard however.

I do not think they sign Duchene.They will rebuild on Dubois/Werenski.

We are talking about for Seth Jones, right?

I would have to believe they would do more than think about Bouchard but they would make that trade so fast.

Seth Jones is an elite right shot D, 24 years old and signed to a great contract $5.4M for 3 more years.

The only issue is only 3 more years.

There is a chance that Bouchard could potentially produce more points than Jones but that’s only in the case of Bouchad hitting his absolute ceiling and, even if he gets there, he likely isn’t as valuable as Seth Jones as an overall player.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster: He works out with the other Stockholm based NHLers during summers. I doubt anyone doubts Gabriel Landeskog’s workout regimen. He’s part of that group.

Fair enough – some confirmation of his off-season regime which, prior to, and unlike many others, I had none of.

39. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Gagner is back, and he’s still got the same issues he had from day one.

Gagner is like a rescue dog. He’s small, weak, and afraid; with good reason after that Kassian mugging.

This is what I have against small players – many of them end up getting flattened and like Gagner, like Brule, they never get over it.

40. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Seth Jones could very well be the perfect player, taking in to account everything including contract, for the Oilers.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

Didn’t see the third period but the Rein tied it up late and won in a shootout. Marody couldn’t score on an OT breakaway – would have been his fourth OT goal of the year.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

No more OHL games being shown on network TV this weekend but Guelph/Kitchener are on SN next Thursday and Friday – great chance for Oilers fans to see Samorukov in action.

43. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: They didn’t draft Hunt – they signed him as a 35 year old (or so) after 4 college years and two years playing on an AHL contract.

Defenseman and usually lowered pick ones take longer to Develop.

44. Reja says:

hunter1909: I’d happily trade Nurse + JP for him. Then arrange for both to get driven to the airport.

Should have nabbed him when we had the chance.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m still higher on JP that most, but, yes, absolutely – a 24 year old, legit 1RD, about to enter his prime, signed for 3 more years at $5.4M – yes please.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Defenseman and usually lowered pick ones take longer to Develop.

Yes, they do, I was simply responding to the implication that we drafted Hunt and Osterle (which we didn’t) and the brand new verbal this year about how bad a mistake it was to not sign Erik Gustafsson like 5 years ago. Not a word was mentioned about him for years and now that, all of a sudden, he’s “popped” at 27 years old, management is being criticized for letting him go half a decade ago.

Yes, d-men take longer, generally, however, I would still say its unusual for a d-man to finally make it to the NHL at 26 and then pop at 27 in to a legit top 4 guy.

47. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, they do, I was simply responding to the implication that we drafted Hunt and Osterle (which we didn’t) and the brand new verbal this year about how bad a mistake it was to not sign Erik Gustafsson like 5 years ago.Not a word was mentioned about him for years and now that, all of a sudden, he’s “popped” at 27 years old, management is being criticized for letting him go half a decade ago.

None of the above defenseman except hunt really had a fair shake.They better have the right people in the system that can read defenseman because it’s a hell of a lot harder then forwards. From the sounds of it there’s a half dozen with real potential to make it.

« Older Comments