The 93 Best Players in the 2019 draft

We’re close to the final top 100 “Here Comes the Sun” list that will end our draft coverage in early June. From here, spikes from European tournaments, injury news and other facts revealed will be the only changes. My list doesn’t wait for the Bob McKenzie consensus and doesn’t resemble other scouting services or rankings. Here’s the 93 best in the draft.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Colby Cave and Joe Gambardella build late-season resumes with Edmonton.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers made a rare move and shopped the QMJHL at the 2018 draft. It could happen again.
  • Eric Duhatschek: Sorting through the organizational problems in Ottawa and Edmonton.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: After a year of despair, Oilers prospect Cameron Hebig grateful for latest chapter with the Condors
  • Jonathan Willis: Bob Nicholson’s misguided Tobias Rieder comments reveal deeper problems within Oilers management
  • Jonathan Willis: Ken Hitchcock knows why Edmonton has trouble exiting its zone, but lacks the players to fix it.
  • Lowetide: Trimming cap fat and adding speed and skill will shape Oilers’ offseason.
  • Jonathan Willis: Former Canucks architects Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman should be considered for any vacant NHL GM job
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers need to drastically revamp their forward group.
  • Lowetide: Identifying the risk and the right price if the Oilers were to trade Adam Larsson (to Toronto?)
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ prospect Tyler Benson’s rookie AHL season a revelation.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Jonathan Willis: Analyzing how much the Oilers should be willing to spend on pending free agent Alex Chiasson.
  • Jonathan Willis: Keith Gretzky is a legitimate Oilers GM candidate, but would be a hard sell in Edmonton
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can build a contender during Connor McDavid’s prime.
  • Jonathan Willis: The Oilers aren’t good, but this group has more potential than teams from the decade of darkness
  • Lowetide: Bob Nicholson’s search continues for the Oilers new tomorrow, but at a leisurely pace.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How Leon Draisaitl has found ‘another level’ by matching offensive wizardry with sound positioning.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

HERE COMES THE SUN

OILERS MOCK!

• No. 9 overall— L Peyton Krebs, Kootenay Ice (WHL). Krebs offense (64, 19-49-68) led his team by 16 points. He was quality at the Hlinka, is aggressive and plays with an edge. More passer than shooter.
  • No. 40 overall—LC Blake Murray, Sudbury (OHL). Power forward with good speed and hands, Murray has a good shot and what is described as deceptive speed. Not much buzz but he’s a solid prospect.
  • No. 88 overall—L Brayden Tracey, Moose Jaw (WHL). Played very little previous to this season in the WHL, spiked this season.
  • No. 102 overall —R Sasha Mutala, Tri-City Americans (WHL). Heavy shot, excellent skater, 20 goals, May 2001.
  • No. 164 overall— LD Justin Bergeron, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL) . He isn’t getting mentioned at all, but Bergeron has good speed, creativity and is a good defender.
  • No. 195 overall—LC Linus Nassen, Frolunda (SHL). Solid two-way player who plays a strong checking style.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. I’ll also be on the roundtable at 9 with Matt Iwanyk. Scheduled to appear:

• Andrew Peard, Oil Kings PBP. We’ll chat about a split with Medicine Hat and what looks like a long series.
  • Michael Hurley, CBS Boston. Gronk retires after 20 years in the NFL. Well, it was only nine but the man had an incredible impact.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. The Oilers and the future.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

126 Responses to "The 93 Best Players in the 2019 draft"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ve heard that Kakko may be ahead of Hughes on many draft lists – although that is the type of thing we hear every year and, at the end of the day, the long-term consusus (in this case Hughes) almost always prevails.

I am hopeful to win on of the lotteries, hopefully one of the first two, but, either way, we will get a very nice asset in the top 10.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ve been posting about a potential Hayden Hawkey signing but, with Providence in the Frozen 4, I guess his college career isn’t quite over yet.

Honestly, I don’t know how this NCAA post-season works – I mean, Providence lost to Boston College in the hockey east tournament but they are still in the “NCAA Tournament” it seems.

Lowetide is warming up to Byram. For Lowetide to rank a D at #6, that means he must be close to generational! -).

4. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:

Conference tournaments are a different tournament than national.

5. jtblack says:

Would love those Top 4 picks LT !

Skill Skill Skill

6. BONE207 says:

Remember those days when we spoke of potential playoff matchups & how deep the team could go? Remember all the excitement of seeing playoff hockey with some skin in the game?

Ya…me neither

7. elgruntus says:

If Knight’s available at pick #2, do we take a goaltender that high? Is he Carter Hart good?

Some OIl Kings stuff from me.

Matthew Robertson is an Oscar Klefbom clone, right down to the injuries. Jake Neighbours is finally starting to look like a potential (late) 1st round pick next year (2020)…plays a bit like Sam Bennett. Guenther will likely be one in 2021 based on his limited allotment of games as a 15-year old.

9. frjohnk says:

Georgexs:
    “Bottom 6 have showed they can not score even close to league avg 4th line levels. The numbers without a top 4 Dman are ghastly. The numbers do uptick somewhat with a top 4 Dman but are still not good. Doesnt matter the coach.”

i don’t agree with “Doesn’t matter the coach” because I think some coaches create better systems for their players. They think about how they can encourage them, build them up, ways to cover up their flaws and give them little edges here and there. They work with whatever they have. They gain trust by giving trust. Build them up. Not tear them down. The players on the other team and one of the most knowledgeable fan bases in hockey will take care of that.

Hope you are around today.

What I meant about the “doesnt matter the coach” was in regards to the numbers of the bottom 6 scoring with our top 4 D. All scoring by the bottom 6 with the top 2 pairs on the ice is well below league 4th line levels. The numbers did not change much regardless of coach. Thats what I was getting at.

10. who says:

I haven’t seen most of these guys even play, which makes it very hard to rank them, but I was really impressed by the 4 WHL kids in the Hlinka tourney. I would rate those 4 in this order,
    Byram
    Dach
    Cozens
    Krebs
    Byram’s skating and puck handling really stood out for me. He was all over the ice. He’s also had an excellent season with boxcars on the same level as the 3 forwards. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he went 3OV.
    Dach looks like that big playmaking center who just controls the pace of the game when he’s out there. Very smooth skater for a kid who’s still growing into his body.
    Cozens might be the shooter the Oilers are looking for but I like the other 2 a bit more.

elgruntus:
    If Knight’s available at pick #2, do we take a goaltender that high?Is he Carter Hart good?

Let goaltenders fall to you in the draft. Unless they are Carey Price. The 3rd round is a good place to draft goaltenders ranked in the 2nd round.

If you think you have a generational goaltender, draft him in the 1st round. Otherwise, wait till the 3rd round to draft goaltenders.

12. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Western Conference Playoff Standings using Points Percentage shown as points over/under fake Bettman .500

Pacific

ANA -5
    LA -12

Relevant Wildcard Games today:

NSH at MIN (NSH -125)
    DAL at WPG (WPG -160)

13. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Eastern Conference Playoff Standings using Points Percentage shown as points over/under fake Bettman .500

Atlantic

BUF -3
    NYR -3
    NJD -11
    DET -11
    OTT -17

Relevant Wildcard Games today:

PIT at NYR (PIT -210) (kinda relevant as if PIT loses they slide below CAR again)

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NHL Draft order pre-lottery based on Points Percentage Standings today shown as points over/under fake Bettman .500

1 OTT -17
    15 CBJ 11

who:
    Byram
    Dach
    Cozens
    Krebs

I think I like Krebs better than Dach. Cozens or Byram are better fits for the Oilers. The pace of the new NHL is fast. Controlling the pace of the game…what does that mean. Can Dach have the same control when the pace is ramped up?

Cozens/Byram, Krebs, Dach is how I’m leaning today for those four.

16. Rafa Nadal says:

I’m so disillusioned with this team that I’d like to say screw it all and just draft Connor McMichael, simply for the ensuing hilarity when he and his namesake pass the puck to each other.

17. Darth Tu says:

It’s all about Nando Eggenberger, we have to do everything we possibly can to draft that man based on his glorious name alone.

Sogaard was an absolute rock this weekend for the Tigers, if he falls in the draft I’d be tempted to give him a look.

18. barry.moore23 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Rats. It looks like the Coyotes are just worn out. Like Lansky said on the Lowdown last week “Get the points in October as opposed to trying to scramble for them in March”. An outdoor viewing party at Westgate here in Glendale would be so awesome !

Oh yeah, Oilers playoffs on TV would be even better 🙂

19. russ99 says:

Went through the first two rounds of last few drafts, and found only 4 American players drafted jumped to the NHL (for good) directly.

Most spent 2-3 years in the NCAA, with a few bypassing to the CHL/AHL route, and those that left NCAA after their first year needed at least an AHL year before impacting an NHL roster.

Other than special players like Mathews, McAvoy and DeBrincat, we’re talking three development years before cracking the NHL roster.

So maybe all these kids past the first 10 picks in the US Development program need to be graded on a bit of a curve.

20. dustrock says:

LT, Godot or anyone else who’s seen these guys play.

I’ve seen some stats on Dach and it looks like he’s pretty inconsistent in this, his draft year – either total fire or totally cold. Is that a concern?

Cozens generally scores more consistently than Dach this year. The knock I’ve heard on Cozens may be an overall “all the tools, no toolbox” fear – I’ve seen a few people say there seems to be times when he skates into trouble or into a corner, meaning he doesn’t have the hockey sense to process the game as well, but has a great shot and speed. Any merit to this?

21. jtblack says:

Seem them all play since Bantam.

COZENS – 68 GP 34 G 50 A 84 Points. I think only Kaliyev has more points ?? I am not who is saying there is no tool box. Cozens is aggressive, plays in straigh lines and is a Load. I think his Top 5 Ranking is well deserved

22. YKOil says:

godot10: Let goaltenders fall to you in the draft.Unless they are Carey Price.The 3rd round is a good place to draft goaltenders ranked in the 2nd round.

If you think you have a generational goaltender, draft him in the 1st round.Otherwise, wait till the 3rd round to draft goaltenders.

Mostly agreed, if there was a guy ranked late-first to early-second then I would have no issues trading up to late-second to snag them. If I am sold on Knight and Sogaard but don’t draft again until #71 then I am quite happy to trade up into a 52-60 spot.

Cost is minimal and I get the goalie I want. One has to eventually hit. It’s pretty much why a team trades for extra 4th-7th rounders.

I think it is imperative that the Oilers get a franchise goalie in the next 3-4 years so I take a good shot at it every year or so myself.

23. jtblack says:

DACH – Plays like Cody Glass , Ryan Johansen. Big Rangy RHC. He has been inconsistent but I dont see that as a problem He’s a 17 yr old. I think he will be a Good NHL player.

KREBS – I see Krebs as a 2nd layer guy (Ehlers, Connor). Should be excellent Top 6. Great forechecker. Totally committed off ice Should be great pick.

BYRAM – Setting all kinds of records for Vancouver and WHL D men. Had 26 Goals as a D man ! I see him as a Provorov type. Big Minutes, All Around D man.

Dach is a bigger Nugent-Hopkins who doesn’t skate as well, and plays more on the perimeter than Krebs or Cozens. Krebs is sort of like Sam Bennett. Cozens is a prototypical power forward…say a more physical Mike Gartner (clearly not as fast), but with more propensity to go to the danger areas.

Dach, like Puljujarvi, should really play with the puck on their stick. On the Oilers, we have those guys already. We need forwards who can play without the puck on their stick, and play inside the “Rickibox”, which is why i like or am trending to like the other two forwards better.

25. YKOil says:

jtblack:
    DACH – Plays like Cody Glass , Ryan Johansen.Big Rangy RHC.He has been inconsistent but I dont see that as a problem He’s a 17 yr old. I think he will be a Good NHL player.

KREBS – I see Krebs as a 2nd layer guy (Ehlers, Connor). Should be excellent Top 6. Great forechecker.Totally committed off ice Should be great pick.

BYRAM – Setting all kinds of records for Vancouver and WHL D men.Had 26 Goals as a D man !I see him as a Provorov type. Big Minutes, All Around D man.

Oilers are well into the ‘not-good-enough-to-be-good’ and ‘too-good-to-be-bad’ stage. I think they’ll draft around #11 to 12. Too bad they lack the assets to move up.

26. dustrock says:

The interesting thing for me is Cozens/Dach/Krebs vs. Turcotte/Zegras.

One imagines the Oilers will default to the WHL, but I’m not sure I wouldn’t have both Turcotte and Zegras ahead of the WHL guys. That US development team is so stacked it’s hard to tell but even Hughes aside, guys like Turcotte, Zegras, Caulfield are putting up huge numbers.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

I think it’s one thing to identify 2RD as the top priority. I think it’s quite another to actually acquire one. There simply aren’t any available. Most teams only have two RD to begin with. The only realistic option I see is Spurgeon. The Stars appear to be rebuilding and Spurgeon only has one year left on his deal after this season at $5.2 mill. But what would be the cost? I would think a first round draft pick. Maybe a young RD prospect and a second rounder. I think the prudent thing would be to identify the handful of teams with excess RD and target a 3RD who could possibly slot up higher. The only teams that really fit this bill are Carolina, San Jose, possibly Dallas and St. Louis and maybe Vancouver.

28. jtblack says:

DACH – 259 // 73
    BYRAM (D) – 228 // 71
    KREBS – 181 // 68

Not sure what that means but if Krebs played on a team that scored 80 more goals, one would assume he would have had over 80 Points. Like LT says, he could be a draft steal because he was on such a bad team, it’s hard to know exactly how Good he is.

Krebs was the #1 pick in the Bantam draft. Dach #2 & Byram #3. So All 3 have been the cream of the Western Crop for 3+ years.

Cozens was #19.

10 CHI 1
    11 FLA 3
    12 MIN 3
    13 ARI 3
    14 PHI 4
    15 CBJ 11

This is Good news. Basically Edmonton won’t fall outside the Top 10, depending on ping pong balls So should have an excellent player available when they do draft!

I also saw Podkolzin and Broberg at the Hlinka. I probably saw some of the Americans only once, against the Russians, and was paying more attention to the Russians.

I like Podkolzin a lot, but he is a Russian, and young wealthy Russians are going to be attracted to the NHL cities with large wealthy Russian ex-pat communities. He is a really good player, a rush player who plays with heart and passion. If the coach is not committed to the rush game…and if an organization is not attuned to cultural difference… With the right Oiler coach, I would like him better than Dach too…but this is the Oilers and he is Russian…and the track record of fit is beyond horrible.

I like Broberg too…your prototypical puck rushing toolsy Swedish D.

But apart from Byram, I’m more interested in the forwards of the players I’ve seen.

31. Fraktal says:

jtblack,

**Warning: Lame Science Dad Joke Incoming**

Yes, but have you seen Krebs cycle? It’s amazing!

32. who says:

godot10: I think I like Krebs better than Dach. Cozens or Byram are better fits for the Oilers.The pace of the new NHL is fast.Controlling the pace of the game…what does that mean.Can Dach have the same control when the pace is ramped up?

Cozens/Byram, Krebs, Dach is how I’m leaning today for those four.

I can’t argue with you. Just haven’t seen them play enough.
    Most of my opinions on prospects are based on very limited viewings and quick first impressions.
    Maybe I could get a job scouting for the Oilers. LOL.

33. LMHF#1 says:

Defencemen who can score goals in the WHL tend to be the real deal – especially when they’re not specialists.

Ones who can’t score goals despite supposedly being dominant cough*GriffinReinhart*cough, also reveal themselves.

26 for Byram is pretty solid. I’d like to see what those goals looked like, but definitely a strong sign.

34. who says:

Cozens/Byram, Krebs, Dach is how I’m leaning today for those four.

Also, if we go by LTs list, Krebs is the only guy we have a shot at. Unless we win one of the lottery picks.
    I am assuming Edmonton picks 8-12.

35. jtblack says:

LMHF#1:

Ian White – 79 (2001)
    Ty Smith – 73 (2018)

Byram had 6 OT Winners. All of the dynamic variety. These aren’t floaters from the Point. He is beating guys 1 on 1 and then beating the goalie with a shot or deke. You Tube his highlights.

So he has Quantity & Quality.

36. who says:

Cozens/Byram, Krebs, Dach is how I’m leaning today for those four.

Just one more thing.
    The best example for controlling pace of the game from a forward would be someone like Kane, Draisaitl or Getzlaf. When they have the puck they dictate the pace.
    When I watched Dach last summer the first comparable that came to mind was Getzlaf.

37. Professor Q says:

jtblack: Byram’s 71 points were the 3rd most in the last 19 years by a draft Eligible D Man.

Ian White – 79 (2001)
    Ty Smith – 73 (2018)

Byram had 6 OT Winners. All of the dynamic variety.These aren’t floaters from the Point.He is beating guys 1 on 1 and then beating the goalie with a shot or deke.You Tube his highlights.

So he has Quantity & Quality.

Could he complement Bouchard and Samorukov? Or would we have to look at trading some of the D sooner than we’d want?

38. YKOil says:

Man, would be a great year to draft top-5

Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Byram

That’s a gold standard top-5 imo.

39. ArmchairGM says:

Sportsnet (I think) dropoed Dach’s ranking and insinuated off-ice issues, but I haven’t been able to find anything more. Does anyone have any idea what that’s all about?

40. Pretendergast says:

who,

I don’t understand this comparable. Dach is bambi on his skates. At least 3 times a game he gets rocked and tossed to the ice. When it’s on his stick its on a thread and he does stuff that blows you away, but Getzlaf solid he is not.

I’m afraid he will go to a development camp and some 23 year old looking to make a name will absolutely end him and that’ll be that. Great talent if he can stay alive against much stronger opposition.

41. jtblack says:

Professor Q: Could he complement Bouchard and Samorukov? Or would we have to look at trading some of the D sooner than we’d want

Not sure what you mean?

Byram will beed 1 more year in Junior and then “Should” make the NHL in 2020 / 21 season.

The Linit right now for Byram is #1 LHD. IF they do draft him they will then want to move Nurse or Klefbom in 2 – 3 years.

42. who says:

Pretendergast:
    who,

You don’t think he’s going to get heavier and stronger as he matures?

43. Drew says:

Fraktal:
    jtblack,

**Warning: Lame Science Dad Joke Incoming**

Yes, but have you seen Krebs cycle?It’s amazing!

🙂

44. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: Conference tournaments are a different tournament than national.

It seems that way – I thought that would have to win their conference tournament to move on but I guess it doesn’t work that way.

45. jp says:

LMHF#1:

Russell scored 26 (draft year), 14 and 32 in the Dub.

46. Pretendergast says:

who,

For sure, just don’t think he’s Getzlaf. Also don’t trust the Oil to develop a guy like that properly. He’d be getting crushed by Getz on our team before he has the chance to be like him

47. Pretendergast says:

ArmchairGM,

Dad’s crazy, declared his brother Colton will only play for the Blades with his brother Lavar Ball style and only let Kirby get Twitter this year.

48. Alpine says:

russ99,

The Tkachuk bros both made it right away too. Clayton Keller made it in draft +2. Werenski had the same timeline as McAvoy but he was actually younger than McAavoy and played his freshmen college year as a 17 year old.

49. Gerta Rauss says:

Keith Gretzky once scored 4 touchdowns for Polk High

50. Alpine says:

Two more USDP 1st rounders from the 2010s who made the NHL in draft+2: Dylan Larkin and Jacob Trouba. Hanifin went straight to the NHL in draft+1 but probably needed another year of college.

51. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Gerta Rauss,

Back in ’82, he used to be able to toss a pigskin a quarter of a mile.

52. Caller Zen says:

So lets assume Ottawa wins the lottery draft, setting up Colorado to pick #1 – does anyone else see them pick Kakko to play with Rantanen? Leaving LA to select Hughes …is this the worst case scenario viewed thru any Oilers lens?

53. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Jack Michaels:

Oiler practice today has Gambardella up on 2nd line w/RNH & Chiasson. Cave centres Rieder-Gagner. Lucic w/Brodziak & Currie.

54. Alpine says:

From my completely amateur and haphazard viewings, I think I’d have my top five as:

Hughes
    Kakko
    Cozens
    Byram
    Turcotte

The first two are obvious. Cozens, Byram, and Turcotte are all very well rounded with high end skill. I think they have the highest floors outside of the big 2, and maybe only the Russians could have higher ceilings. All three have demonstrated the combination of impressive offensive production, good to great skating ability, and some sort of two-way ability,

Cozens is a F so a little less risky than Byram, and Byram is ahead of Turcotte mostly because he’s probably a more rare prospect as a potential 1D. The CHL is a bit more projectable, and they’re the two best CHL prospects.

Turcotte is ahead of the rest as he has all 3 of a) very high end offensive production for the USDP b) great skating c) all-around game of which the rest only have 2 out of 3.

The next five would be some combination of:

Podkolzin, Krebs, Dach, Kaliyev, and Zegras.

I’m not sure how high to rank KHLers because they don’t get ice time and there’s not much a sample size of them scoring vs men. Podkolzin would probably be ranked closer to 10 for me.

Dach I’m skeptical about with his skating, and those new revelations are a consideration, though i have him out of the top 5 on merit.

Kaliyev has amazing scoring ability, vision etc. but he’s not very quick. In terms of guys who had great scoring talent but had some flaws in their games, he could be Skinner or he could be Grigorenko, though I think the latter can still end up as a top six forward once he comes back from Russia.

I really like Krebs but not sure if he has high end offense. Zegras needs to add some mass but he’s top 10 for sure.

So after some consideration, my tentative 6-10 rankings would be:

Kaliyev
    Zegras
    Krebs
    Dach
    Podkolzin

Subject to change of course. Boldy misses out because his skating is average and the other USDPers are better. I need to watch Podkolzin more, I would pick him at 10 at this moment just based on hearsay and his average ranking.

55. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Alpine:

It’s not possible for Larkin to have made the NHL in his draft +2

Burger Bob assures me the The Ken Holland over-perulates his prospects and keeps them out the NHL and that now EDM wil start…zzzzzzzzzzzzz

🙂

56. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Kretzky on with Bob on ON right now.

57. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

KG about critical areas of drafting:

Couple areas, have to have a lot of skill. Have to have that dimension to their hockey game. Gotta have speed, game is fast now, and hockey sense. Probably as important as the other things is compete, gotta go into the tough areas and win puck battles.

58. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

KG: Paul Coffey’s been on the ice with Sammy (Samorukov) and Pelltier has been working on his skating.

59. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

KG specifically mentioned Marino by name (unprompted) as a Bakersfield candidate for next year.

60. ArmchairGM says:

who:
    Byram
    Dach
    Cozens
    Krebs

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Khaira remains day to day – Hitch not sure if he’ll be able to go tomorrow yet.

62. ArmchairGM says:

jtblack: Also for some context, KREBS played on a terrible hockey team. Here is Team Goals and player points for context.

DACH – 259 // 73
    BYRAM (D) – 228 // 71
    KREBS – 181 // 68

I would rank Krebs ahead of Dach. For the Oilers, I think this draft order makes sense:

Cozens
    Byram
    Krebs
    Dach

63. hefe667 says:

Pretendergast,

I watched Getzlaf play quite a few times when he was in the WHL, and he was definitely not the player that he turned into. He was big, strong and very skilled, but was also inconsistent and did not move his feet at times. I have only seen Dach play three times (once in the Ivan Hlinka and twice in the WHL), but he really reminded me of Getlaf when he was the same age. That is not saying Dach is lock to turn into anything close to what Getzlaf is when/if he plays in the NHL, only that I think it is justified when people make the comparison between the two.

64. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:

If we are in the top 3 or even say 8th in the draft I would consider trading it with a cap dump to get a serviceable winger back. No buy-outs we need Lucic ( compliance buy-out hopefully) Russell Manning of the books. Paying pouliet and gryba 1.5 is such a waste to the cap never mind anyone else,

65. Primetime says:

ArmchairGM: Krebs has a greater percentage of his teams points than the other forwards, Cozens is next. Something to think about.

Just wondering out loud, but is that really a useable stat? In terms of predicting future success in the NHL?
    The reason I ask is that I recall Nail Yakupov had a huge percentage of his teams points (especially in draft -1 year). But looking back, it’s because he was coached to only play offence, don’t come back, just stay at the top and score when you get the chance. Obviously created huge numbers for him, and a great percentage of the teams overall points, but was ultimately his demise in the NHL. It certainly could point out someone who is on an island alone, but could also point out someone who only focuses on one part of the game

66. knighttown says:

The Oilers seem to be locked in to the 8/9 spot in the draft. The Hawks are playing pretty well so we probably don’t catch them and Coyotes are NOT playing well but have a big gap. Right behind us, the Rags and Sabres have completed mailed it in winning a combined 3 of their last 20 games.

The Oilers schedule is interesting.

Two games against teams actively trying to lose; Kings and Ducks.

Two games against teams desperately trying to win; Stars and Avs.

Then three against really good teams who don’t really need to win (Calgary, San Jose and Vegas…locked into the 1,2,3 slots). But even if they rest guys they are so much better than we are they still probably win.

I’d guess we get 7 points and finish at 81 in 9th last.

The ping pong balls have four possible outcomes:
    – jump way up
    – get knocked way (2 spots) down
    – stay
    – drop one spot

Probably 40% chance we pick 9th, 35% chance we pick 10th, 15% chance we pick Top 3 and 10% chance we pick 11th.

Hughes and Kakko gone for sure and I’d g-tee Byram goes because someone will draft for need. Podkolzin almost definitely goes to one of the big American markets like LA or New York. And the Oil probably don’t consider Kaliyev.

I think it’ll come down to Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Caulfield and Krebs.

I’d take a stab at Matt Boldy in the #10 slot.

67. leadfarmer says:

Primetime: Just wondering out loud, but is that really a useable stat?In terms of predicting future success in the NHL?
    The reason I ask is that I recall Nail Yakupov had a huge percentage of his teams points (especially in draft -1 year).But looking back, it’s because he was coached to only play offence, don’t come back, just stay at the top and score when you get the chance.Obviously created huge numbers for him, and a great percentage of the teams overall points, but was ultimately his demise in the NHL.It certainly could point out someone who is on an island alone, but could also point out someone who only focuses on one part of the game

Some of those CHL teams give their best players ridiculous amount of ice time. So being the best player on a terrible team could mean you play a lot more than the cohort

68. Gerta Rauss says:

knighttown,

Nice breakdown

I agree- we’ll be in the 8,9,10 slot barring a lottery result

leadfarmer: Some of those CHL teams give their best players ridiculous amount of ice time.So being the best player on a terrible team could mean you play a lot more than the cohort

I don’t think that is necessarily true. The CHL is still mostly an 18-year old and 19-year old league. The 17-year olds, unless extremely elite, are not going to play more than the 19-year olds.

70. ArmchairGM says:

Here’s what The Draft Analysis has to say:

Complete all-around center who last season was one of the WHL’s top rookies while skating on the wing for a Kootenay team that improved significantly from the previous campaign. Krebs produces results no matter what role he’s given, and plays with the kind of competitive spirit that can become infectious. He’s incredibly smart with or without the puck, and Krebs thrives under pressure, especially late in games. He’s a very good skater with excellent balance and agility, and his ability to turn quickly and react towards the right direction makes him an asset in all three zones. He plays with a nonstop motor and forces opposing defensemen into poor decisions with the puck. Krebs is a clever stickhandler who can weave through a crowded neutral zone; but making smart, crisp passes immediately thereafter is what separates from most of his draft-age peers. He can run a power play from the half wall, but also anchor a top penalty killing unit.

Krebs is more of a pass-first center, but he has very good hands and proved to be reliable as a shooter off the pass. His wrist shot is hard and accurate, and bad-angle shots get kicked into the low slot with regularity. He is excellent during cycles and board play, and he’s capable of engineering trick or set plays off faceoffs or corner battles. Krebs can handle physical play from bigger opponents and finishes his own checks with authority. His leadership traits and on-ice persona should make him a candidate to one day be named any team’s captain.

71. --hudson-- says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As per Jack Michaels:

Nice to see Gambardella get a jump up the lineup. Would like to see Currie also get a chance with an offensive player. He’s got speed and hockey sense, exact attributes we need more of in the top 6.

72. ArmchairGM says:

Cozens:

A high-octane power forward who can play both center and wing, Cozens is the reigning WHL Rookie of the Year after leading all freshman with 22 goals and finishing second in points with 53. He combines all aspects of skating — quickness, acceleration, balance and agility — into one dynamic package that allows him to dictate things rather than play reactionary. Cozens is a capable stickhandler who can control the puck at high speeds before making proper decisions more times than not, and he’s very good at setting up give-and-go’s that position him for one-timers or tap-ins. He owns an excellent shot, both for its velocity and accuracy, plus he can score on his backhand from in close.

Cozens is very physical and always finishes his checks; at times to a fault, as his desire to mash people into the boards can make him the last forward back on an opposing counterattack. He’s quick enough, however, to eventually catch up and place himself in the right position to ensure there aren’t gaps in coverage. Cozens always keeps his feet moving and keeps his stick active, and his quick turns and pivots allow him to stay with his man, especially while he’s killing penalties. Overall, he’s an excellent 200-foot forward who is very good on draws, can anchor a penalty-killing unit, run a power play and assume top-line duties.

73. ArmchairGM says:

Dach:

Big-bodied playmaking center with outstanding passing skills and soft hands who is one of the best draft-eligible players at incorporating all his teammates into the attack. Dach has a tremendous wingspan and reach that help him maintain control the puck for lengthy periods inside the offensive zone. He is a confident puck carrier up ice, and you’ll rarely see him advance via direct routes. Dach can create time and space using a variety of methods on zone entries, and he can stutter-step defenders out of position. All these traits force opponents to back away from him, which provides him with the opportunity to unleash a wicked wrist shot. Still, Dach certainly is more of a set-up man than a shooter, and you can make a strong argument that he is the best saucer-passer of any forward prospect.

Dach has elusiveness for a big man, and his agility in tight spaces allows him to outmaneuver pesky opponents. His straight-line speed is average but deceptive, and his skating style and stride appears a bit choppy and short. Nonetheless, Dach has no problem inserting himself into a rush or initiating one himself, and you can count on him to create several odd-man chances each game. He can run a power play from the half wall and has confidence in his passes from either forehand or backhand, and he can sense when the time is right to make a decisive pay during a stagnant possession. Defensively, Dach will pressure the points, and he relies on his long stick to break up plays. He is, however, neither physical nor consistent on draws. Dach will drop down to support his defensemen, but he’ll dig for loose pucks rather than use his strength to knock it free.

74. ArmchairGM says:

Byram:

Calculated two-way defenseman with leadership traits who makes the proper reads an carries an on-ice demeanor similar to that of a seasoned veteran. Byram has excellent mobility and always looks to either join the rush or create a breakout by himself, and he makes difficult plays while handling the puck look easy. Byram uses flip, chip, bank or stretch passes to trap forecheckers, and he’s capable of dishing the puck with accuracy and authority while backskating or off balance. He consistently keeps his feet moving and reacts to the puck’s changing direction with quickness and confidence. Byram is a strong stickhandler who protects the puck extremely well, especially in instances when he skates methodically into traffic in the neutral zone. He’s an upright skater with a powerful stride with both lateral quickness and rapid directional changes. Byram can run the power play from the left point or the top of the umbrella and owns a hard slap shot that is accurate, creates rebounds and requires little backswing to achieve significant velocity.

Defensively, Byram displays quick feet in maintaining a tight gap, even if a quicker opponent tries to shift gears on him. His stick is highly active and poke checks are timed without putting him at risk of getting caught flat footed. He likes to stand up at his own blue line; either to strip the puck or deliver a hard check. Byram gan be guilty of puck gazing or wandering far from his slot duties, but both are part in parcel of his desire to transition up ice in attack mode. He plays with a lot of emotion and likes to get involved in physical battles, plus give the occasional stinky glove to the mug of an unsuspecting opponent.

75. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– There is a really great French Phrase that fits when I read these excellent draft posts. It’s roughly translated to mean: I really would like to be into this but…: “Je veux bien”

– Maybe next year the late March articles will be about 1st round opponents, rest vs. getting the home seed, projecting rest of schedule: whose healthy, whose zooming, how we stack up: you know playoffs and cool sh$t. Draft stuff at this point in season, again: “Je veux bien”

76. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

ArmchairGM,

Reminds me of Draisaitl with that scouting report.

77. Primetime says:

ArmchairGM,

You’ve convinced me that Krebs would be an outstanding pick. My point was that I don’t think that his percentage of team points is why…all the great attributes you just quoted in that scouting report is why.

78. Ben says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: There is a really great French Phrase that fits when I read these excellent draft posts.

Actually, the French phrase that best fits the draft report would have to be “J’accuse!”, which is also the phonetic name of the top ranked player.

79. ArmchairGM says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    ArmchairGM,

Reminds me of Draisaitl with that scouting report.

I can see that. And Cozens reminds me of McKinnon – I think he’d be an outstanding addition to this roster. In 2020-21, of course. 😉

80. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Ben,

– J’accuse! As that meaning has morphed into a general accusation about something sinister and rotten by the group in power. Also a good phrase

J’accuse le president et les grand buvers de vin rouge!

81. Fiveinatrailer says:

LT would you consider reposting your older draft rankings from 2010 to today. It would be good for a giggle and some nostalgia. Maybe pair up a year with a prospect leading up to the draft. After all they’re our version of the playoffs anyway.

“Remember when the oil drafted David musil with a high second round pick…?” Ah, those were the days…

82. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

This doesn’t make sense to me. I mean, if he has another year of college, why sign him now when there is going to be a log-jam in Bakersfield to start with?

I mean, I’d rather leave him in college and sign and bring Berglund over.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

This was Bouchard last year, in particular after they sold off at the deadline.

84. McNuge93 says:

I like that KG values speed highly because we need to get faster. I also would be open to trading the pick if we could offload a contract (even if we need to retain some salary) and get a decent NHL winger in return. That may then allow us to sign another winger in free agency. Picks in the 8 to 12 range are so hit and miss. Heck, we’ve seen picks at 4 overall as hit and miss I.e. Bennet and Pulu.

85. Primetime says:

OriginalPouzar: Interesting because (1) he has another year of college eligibility and (2) I had heard rumblings that he didn’t have the desire to sign.

This doesn’t make sense to me.I mean, if he has another year of college, why sign him now when there is going to be a log-jam in Bakersfield to start with?

I mean, I’d rather leave him in college and sign and bring Berglund over.

May be a case of “now or never”? Correct me if I’m wrong but if he plays his last year of college, he would be a free agent and could leave the organization. They obviously must see something in him worth keeping….

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – There is a really great French Phrase that fits when I read these excellent draft posts.It’s roughly translated to mean: I really would like to be into this but…: “Je veux bien”

– Maybe next year the late March articles will be about 1st round opponents, rest vs. getting the home seed, projecting rest of schedule: whose healthy, whose zooming, how we stack up: you know playoffs and cool sh$t.Draft stuff at this point in season, again: “Je veux bien”

Draft posts will be a part of Jan-June each year at Lowetide. It’s a process. 🙂

Fiveinatrailer:
    LT would you consider reposting your older draft rankings from 2010 to today. It would be good for a giggle and some nostalgia. Maybe pair up a year with a prospect leading up to the draft.After all they’re our version of the playoffs anyway.

“Remember when the oil drafted Davidmusil with a high second round pick…?” Ah, those were the days…

I can but you should be able to find them in the drop down by month. Go to June each year, and go to day of draft (Here Comes the Sun).

88. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lowetide: Draft posts will be a part of Jan-June each year at Lowetide. It’s a process.

89. Reja says:

Twenty-five percent of me believes they keep Keith for one year as a intern Gm while they do a comprehensive search for the next GM. If Keith does some magic with trades and drafting and the masses or happy he’s the next GM. If this plays out I can’t see Hitch as the Coach this fall the players look miserable playing under him.

90. jp says:

I mean, I’d rather leave him in college and sign and bring Berglund over.

Ah, that may be the heart of it. Perhaps MacT saw “all he needed to see” on Berglund’s first shift during his recent Euro trip.

91. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

Wonder if it’s that they see something in his development meriting a potential fast-track, or they’re more wary of losing him. Or even that they want everyone together to enhance the competition for jobs and then slot everyone in at their proper station. Tough to say from public verbal, which is often inconsistent.

Now, I agree with your point totally. Bring up Berglund and let Marino and the others marinate while they work through their NCAA careers. It would be best to fully develop these prospects at the same time as staggering their integration to the minor-pro and professional ranks. Unless there’s a guy who starts to out perform his peers and/or draft position relative to development curve expectation.

92. Melvis says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

How about “Merde. Nous sommes encore – ici.”

Kinger_Oil.redux: – to be clear son hat I’m not misunderstood- I think the draft stuff is a go to part of this blog. And I’m glad you do it. I would be nice though to have seasons where the draft is the only thing we have to project. I get the process. If/When we are a perennial playoff team it will be interesting to see how this blogs does both. – it’s all about draft every year but one by this time of year (or earlier)

Hey, I hear you. SO much fun to talk about playoffs.

94. Scungilli Slushy says:

Assuming the Oil don’t fluke out another top 2, from all of the great info from LT and everyone, the best fits for the Oilers are Cozens and Byram.

Cozens because he is also a shooter and the Oilers always have too many playmakers and not enough pure scorers, and Byram because if you have a shot at a first pairing all round D that has decent size you’ve found gold Jerry!

LD is loaded up already, but BPA when the talent is clear. Byram is probably a year and a half out, so that allows trading others to shore things up, and possibly some pretty good NHL guys after when he arrives. All in correct timing of course.

I think I’m most excited about Byram. Outside of the top 2. Seems like a potential major impact player in the current game that won’t get submarined if the league gets slack on obstruction again. They have been known to do that.

95. OriginalPouzar says:

McNuge93:
    I like that KG values speed highly because we need to get faster. I also would be open to trading the pick if we could offload a contract (even if we need to retain some salary) and get a decent NHLwinger in return. That may then allow us to sign another winger in free agency. Picks in the 8 to 12 range are so hit and miss. Heck, we’ve seen picks at 4 overall as hit and miss I.e. Bennet and Pulu.

Lets not forget the potential implications of trading an expansion draft exempt asset for a non-exempt asset. In addition to losing the potential for a real nice value contract over the course of the next 2-4-5 years (depending on when the player is ready), it likely increases the materiality of players that will be exposed. We are already set up to potentially lose a player like Benson or Jones.

Not saying we cannot make such a move but there are other factors that increase the “cost” and risk.

96. SK Oiler Fan says:

godot10,

Saw Dach quite average on Sat. Only one viewing but looks like he projects to a large tweener to me

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Primetime: May be a case of “now or never”?Correct me if I’m wrong but if he plays his last year of college, he would be a free agent and could leave the organization.They obviously must see something in him worth keeping….

I was thinking of the “now or never” – if he really wants to turn pro, I guess he could give the organization that ultimatum.

Yes, if we didn’t sign him after he is done his last year of college eligibility, he becomes a free agent but that isn’t until mid-August 2020.

98. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

Wonder if it’s that they see something in his development meriting a potential fast-track, or they’re more wary of losing him.Or even that they want everyone together to enhance the competition for jobs and then slot everyone in at their proper station.Tough to say from public verbal, which is often inconsistent.

Now, I agree with your point totally.Bring up Berglund and let Marino and the others marinate while they work through their NCAA careers.It would be best to fully develop these prospects at the same time as staggering their integration to the minor-pro and professional ranks.Unless there’s a guy who starts to out perform his peers and/or draft position relative to development curve expectation.

You could be right – I have no idea the reasoning and anything would just be speculation. I don’t think they see something in him this year that means they don’t want to risk losing him next August (2020) – the sole reason I state that is that his offence has stagnated this year vis-a-vis the last few years.

I consider Berglund a more material prospect – I wasn’t even really concerned 12 hours ago when I figured they might never get Marino under contract.

99. lawrenharris says:

Mark Hunter for GM, please.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

101. OriginalPouzar says:

lawrenharris:
    Mark Hunter for GM, please.

May I ask why?

The Leafs drafting record when he was involved is quite poor.

102. ArmchairGM says:

Leon Draisaitl hasn’t scored a goal in 3 games now, and has just 2 in his last 9. And now he’s lost his #2 spot in the Richard race, because Tavares scored 4 tonight. Leon needs a hat trick tomorrow against the Kings to regain his position… stay tuned!

Every goal, assist and point Draisaitl posts will be a new career high.

Every assist or point McDavid scores will be a career high. He needs 3 goals to reach his career high of 41.

Every goal or point Nugent-Hopkins scores will be a new career high. He needs 1 more assist to tie his career high.

Lots of reasons to watch and cheer tomorrow night.

103. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

ArmchairGM,

-That’s all fine and dandy but really all’s I want to know are the following:

1) how’s his culture?
    2) is locker room presence elite?
    3) does he look like a stud when he skates. Like all sexy and pro like?
    4) what’s his Alberta angle?
    5) is he a winner with heart?

104. Scungilli Slushy says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    ArmchairGM,

-That’s all fine and dandy but really all’s I want to know are the following:

1) how’s his culture?
    2) is locker room presence elite?
    3) does he look like a stud when he skates. Like all sexy and pro like?
    4) what’s his Alberta angle?
    5) is he a winner with heart?

Reminds me of ‘The Stones’ (Flintstones), Fred as CEO or whatever stone age equivalent:

Who’s baby is that?
    What’s you’re angle?
    I’ll buy that!

105. Bulging Twine says:

Pretendergast:
    ArmchairGM,

Not sure about the first part but the second part is good parenting. Twitter is vile

OriginalPouzar:
    Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10…

107. flyfish1168 says:

Will be an interesting game tomorrow. Kings win behind good goaltending. Outplayed badly

OriginalPouzar:
    Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

11…12…13…14…15…16…17…18…19….20…

OriginalPouzar:
    Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

21…22…23…24…25…26…27…28….29….30….

110. Ben says:

lawrenharris: Mark Hunter for GM

OriginalPouzar:
    Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

00 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer….
    if one of those bottles should happen tall, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

OriginalPouzar:
    Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

Just when I think I am out, they drag me back in….

113. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM:

Every goal, assist and point Draisaitl posts will be a new career high.

Lots of reasons to watch and cheer tomorrow night.

Yup – lots of reasons to watch and cheer every night…

114. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10,

…so that’s a yes to Franson then..?

115. Professor Q says:

Ben: Convince me that his franchise is perpetually good because he’s great at evaluating talent, and not because they’re great at structuring incentive. Until then, I’d pass.

Even as a Knights fan, yes, I admit that they strong-arm their way into trading for top draft picks, prospects, and players, and have a way of convincing players to want to go there (which sort of forces the others teams to find ways to trade their own players to London).

They do, however, make smart decisions in “rebuilding”, such as offloading their top talent en masse last season to get multiple futures, and remain a top team this season.

However, once they get those picks, they have to make the right choices (and make them well even with their own, later picks). Then, they have to develop those players correctly, and make sure they gel together to make a cohesive and skilled and diverse culture and team that knows and cares about winning. Then, they have to make the correct choices in regards to trades.

It’s not a cut-and-dry situation and system, but there are multiple reasons why London is the highest producer of NHL talent by far. I think when I was watching recently, TSN had the stats (not sure how long the period was), and London was in the lead by a lot, and then the US NTDP and Kitchener Rangers. I think the Oshawa Generals were up there, also.

116. Glovjuice says:

Boop de boop boop. 🦍🐣🐙🦄🐡🐄 draft Byram.

117. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q: Even as a Knights fan, yes, I admit that they strong-arm their way into trading for top draft picks,prospects, and players, and have a way of convincing players to want to go there (which sort of forces the others teams to find ways to trade their own players to London).

118. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Cody Franson leading KHL playoffs in Dman scoring with 12 points in 9 games.

Boom: Puck moving, right show, PP d-man – LT approved – who needs boots?

Credit: Young Willis!

Do they still have the same Zamboni they used to tow some of the other old timey huge D with that can’t skate to the blue line with?

119. Professor Q says:

Scungilli Slushy: Is it making the right choice or developing talented kids? Drafting 17 YO is a roll of the dice. Can’t imagine predicting younger players.

Well, I included both options, as they can co-exist, in my belief.

120. Pretendergast says:

SK Oiler Fan,

I was at that game as well. I saw Dach take the puck in stride to the front and almost score, retrieve the puck, and fake out a defender with a no look saucer pass tape to tape to the dman at the other side of the ice for a dangerous shot. The ease at which he did it was breathtaking.

He also got a breakaway after a faceoff at centre ice that i have no idea how he managed.

Has all the skill, every time he gets hit tho it looks like it really, really hurts.

121. Westchester Oil says:

#17 Alex Newhook

Because of LT’s ranking, I went to see Newhook play Friday night. He scored 2 goals and one assist. He’s got good speed, hustles defensively, but more impressively he’s got great offensive instincts. And he’s the 2nd youngest player on his team. Close to 2 points a game in the regular season and almost the same in the playoffs. Hard to project how a BCHL star will translate to the big leagues but Jamie Benn also got drafted from the same Victoria Grizzlies. Oilers won’t take him at #8-10 or wherever they pick from, but I’d be thrilled if he fell to the second round and they grabbed him.

122. ArmchairGM says:

Westchester Oil:
    #17 Alex Newhook

Damn. And here I always thought you were a New Yorker.

123. OriginalPouzar says:

London and Guelph both in action tonight.

124. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:
    London and Guelph both in action tonight.

See if Bouchard can extend his league-leading points total…Byfield seems to be popping, I’ve been watching for this moment!