Game 81 2018-19: Sharks at Oilers

Edmonton’s next general manager is going to get a massive headache not long after taking the job. When the new man does the calculations on cap issues, duplicate (movable) assets, keepers who can slot into feature roles, that migraine is going to move from a whisper to a scream. What can be done in one summer? Well, the road to balance can begin and that would be wildly encouraging.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Will the new GM continue the Oilers aggressive pursuit of college free agents?
  • New Jonathan Willis: Connor McDavid’s frustration should be seen by the Oilers as a warning of possible disaster.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers have another problem to solve: Lifting the cloud over a clearly frustrated Connor McDavid
  • Lowetide: What’s going on with Connor McDavid’s with or without you numbers?
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The four blows that set up the knockout of the Oilers from playoff contention.
  • New Jonathan Willis: The Oilers’ failures of 2018-19 will cost people their careers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Chipped teeth, playing DJ and lots of Game of Thrones: A week in the life of Darnell Nurse.
  • New Lowetide: Kailer Yamamoto’s first pro season a cause for concern.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the giant talent pool that is the USHL.
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can shop for a big bang on a small budget
  • Jonathan Willis: How the Oilers can turn their prospect depth into the blueline of a contender.
  • Lowetide: What Mark Hunter’s draft record in Toronto means for his Oilers GM candidacy.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers made a rare move and shopped the QMJHL at the 2018 draft. It could happen again.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

OILERS AFTER 81

• Oilers in 2015: 31-43-7, 69 points; goal differential -38
  • Oilers in 2016: 46-26-9, 101 points; goal differential +33
  • Oilers in 2017: 35-40-6, 76 points; goal differential -38
  • Oilers in 2018: 34-37-9, 77 points; goal differential -32

OILERS IN APRIL

• Oilers in April 2016: 1-1-1, three points; goal differential -1
  • Oilers in April 2017: 1-2-0, two points; goal differential -3
  • Oilers in April 2018: 2-1-0, four points; goal differential -2
  • Oilers in April 2019: 0-2-0, zero points; goal differential -6

WHAT TO EXPECT IN APRIL

• On the road to: Vegas, Colorado (Expected 0-2-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 1-2-1, three points in 4 games
  • Current results: 0-2-0, zero points in 2 games

OILERS FEATURE POSITIONS

• I was talking with Bruce McCurdy yesterday about this model for an NHL team. We couldn’t remember where we saw it first (Pearn? Howson? MacT?) but we both agreed it made all kinds of sense.
  • The key for any roster is to deliver in full at the most important positions. This model has the top two lines, No. 3 center, the top two pairings and a starting goalie as being central to success. That’s 12 of 23 positions, or about 50 percent of the roster. The vital 50 percent.
  • I have nine of the 12 slots filled, with only No. 2 LW, No. 3 C and No. 2 RD open.
  • That’s not reality of course. I think McDavid, Nuge, Leon, Oscar, Darnell and Larsson are all qualified. After that, not so much.
  • Andrej Sekera should be on the list, but the Oilers have too much depth at the position. Perhaps that’s an area of depth where a trade can be managed. Question: Who is leaving?

FORWARDS (5-ON-5 PER 60 SCORING)

Kassian’s 5-on-5 offense has increased, but only slightly. The big winger has shown he can play on the top line for periods, you’ll want to add a 20-goal man if you’re the new GM. That said, it might be an area where you have to punt it to summer 2020 and hope for the best. I’d sign Brett Connolly.

Gagner’s offense is more reliable and I do think he could help on a strong power play. Like Kassian, I think Samwise is more valuable starting as a bottom six forward and then stepping up as needed.

Jesse Puljujarvi is the guy I would spend a lot of time finding room for on the roster.

SUMMER 2017 PROSPECT UPDATE

• We’re two years past this ranking and no one on the list has emerged at one of those 12 key roster positions. That’s basically the problem facing Edmonton’s new general manager. Should he be patient on JP and KY? Chiarelli rushed both and that decision contributed to his demise.
  • Edmonton has had far better results than this in the past. Here’s 2010’s list two seasons after a draft:
  • You can’t expect it every summer, but the 2010 list gave Edmonton a large number who filled one of the ’12’ slots.
  • Hall, Eberle, Dubnyk, Petry all play productively in feature roles, all play for other organizations. There’s a lesson there, too.
  • How many from the current list are locks for one of the ’12’ slots? None right now. I’d be patient on all of them, especially Puljujarvi.

Yes. It’s also reasonable to consider dealing Darnell Nurse, Adam Larsson and Andrej Sekera with money retained. The problem, and this has been an issue for several years, is that Edmonton’s management and scouting staff seems incapable of winning a deal. Or even getting even value on a trade.

The Nuge trade would be complicated, because you need to get someone back who is a sure fire ’12’ solution, plus another player who can be one of the 12. How might that work? Well, there’s performance and there is cap and Nuge posted a big season. His value will be high. The contract is $6 million for two more years (matching cap), so the Oilers could cast about for a RHD who could move the puck and who is under control for several more years. Ivan Provorov if he were right handed, that kind of thing.

The danger is trading the last of the Steve Austins for disappointing return. Other teams know Edmonton is desperate. That will write its own story in the coming days.

WHO WILL GO?

My guess is Larsson. I’m not in favor of it, but the new GM is going to want to get faster. Larsson has real value and could be cashed for a scoring forward this summer. What would the defense look like? A big old mess.

Beyond a long shot, my guess is somewhere close to Manhattan. That said, if you were looking to add a bona fide offensive piece for only money, Palve would be near the top of this year’s list.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we have terrific guests and lately plenty of breaking news. Scheduled to appear:

• Daniel Nugent-Bowman, The Athletic. We’ll chat about Daniel’s article this week about Connor McDavid and the ripple effect of his comments.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Revisiting Humboldt one year later, the McDavid comments and more.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

346 Responses to "Game 81 2018-19: Sharks at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Ben says:

Woodguy v2.0: It’s them.

Not us.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m a fan whether I like it or not. Whatever those in charge dictate about how the team works will dictate my experience as a fan.

Eat Arby’s.

2. JimmyV1965 says:

incubo_nero:
    JimmyV1965,

I was responding to a few posts above mine. The banter is about improving the forwards vs improving the D. Some are saying both. I say you can only realistically do one. I say it’s the D. It’s a RD. It’s a puck-moving RD. Puck retrieval and controlled zone exits on every pairing: Klefbom, new player, Sekera.

Does this add up to 20-30 more goals? Don’t know. It was just my proxy for getting a few more wins in the season. Maybe better goal differential is best you can hope for but would like to think +20 or +30 on that stat is enough to get this team to a wild card spot.

Sorry if I came off like a douche. I am, but I try to temper that a bit here.

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Cassandra: They aren’t going to trade either.They’ll trade J.T. Miller before either of them if they need space.Their cap problem is exaggerated because they have useful pieces to unload.The Oilers, on the other hand, have players no one else wants.

Before TBY trades anyone they buyout Callahan.

Before they trade Point or Stamkos they trade Palat and/or Johnson for a nice bag of futures to keep re-loading.

TBY doesn’t have a cap problem.

4. hunter1909 says:

The first thing Glen Sather would do for the Oilers would be to stop losing trades.

5. hunter1909 says:

Ben: We’re just along for the particularly long and shitty ride while the darkness slowly trespasses across the borders of whatever time we have left.

This is sublime.

I would like to nominate this Ben quote as the greatest single thing ever posted on Lowetide, ever.

6. Andy Dufresne says:

Georgexs:
    Here’s some background for the improving the roster by getting players not on the roster crowd.

There have been 648 forwards who have started the season on a new team since 13-14 on. These are forwards who didn’t play for the team in the prior season and who weren’t making their debuts (i.e., they weren’t rookies). So, 648 forwards who were new additions to rosters, brought in from elsewhere.

(Some like Cullen (PIT), Vanek (DET), Perron (STL) had multiple go-arounds with one team.)

59 of these forwards were traded before the end of the season. That leaves us with 589.

How many of these 589 forwards scored 50 or more points with their new teams?

51. 51 (less than 9%) scored at a top 6 pace for the entire season.

How many of these 589 forwards scored at a 0.6 PPG pace or better for at least half the season?

68. About 11.5%.

What was the PPG for the median forward in this group?

0.16… 0.16!!!!

I’ll find out more when time permits. This first look suggests the forward insta-fix everyone is planning is rare. The typical forward roster add plays below replacement level, like Rieder this season at 0.17 PPG. Ryan Strome last season played 82 games and scored 34 points or 0.41 PPG.

That should be considered a modest win.

We were all disappointed. He gone.

The only team that I can see that got a whole lot better through trades in this period is VGK. They traded in their whole roster through the expansion draft.

These look alot like Peter Chiarelli’s stats/results!

7. hunter1909 says:

JimmyV1965: Sorry if I came off like a douche. I am, but I try to temper that a bit here.

Last night you kicked ass. You’re one of the most astute Lowetide posters ever.

8. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ben: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eat Arby’s.

I hear you.

It’s a crying shame.

9. jtblack says:

“starting with 16 and 33 and continued until today.”

It’s revisionist for sure I dont usually go there as it’s a never ending “What If”.

But today I was wondering If Hall stays. If Barzal is an Oiler

Where is this team.

10. bendelson says:

Just a friendly reminder that my lovely wife and I will NOT be in attendance for tonight’s game.
    Place your wagers accordingly…

11. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: EDM was the envy of the league before they started pissing away talent and assists starting with 16 and 33 and continued until today.
    It’s a crying shame.

In a less politically correct age it was tantamount to a hanging offence.

12. jtblack says:

I have a hard time moving the #8 pick

Just so much potential with that Pick on an ELC
    Ehlers himself was a #9.

13. LMHF#1 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Stauffer AGAIN today stating his belief that only 4 of the Oilers current top 6 Dmen will be returning next year.

Also adding that he would be targeting a RHD man in the $5 to $5.5m range to serve until our prospects round into form.

They should only be keeping 2.

14. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Before TBY trades anyone they buyout Callahan.

TBY doesn’t have a cap problem.

Yes they do. They have to find about 9 mil per for Point this year. Next year they have to find at least 8 mil per for Vasi and at best a bridge for Sergachev. They need to find some D which everyone looks for D making it not cheap. They already have 72 mil committed for next year. They can make things work but it’s not going to be easy.

15. dustrock says:

LMHF#1: They should only be keeping 2.

Oh I agree, but how do you fill the holes?

I think you have to build the team on the assumption that only one of Jones/Lagesson/Bear/Bouchard/Persson will be ready for full-time duty, and even then, only on bottom pairing.

16. leadfarmer says:

LMHF#1: They should only be keeping 2.

The brain trust doesn’t tolerate being wrong. They didn’t like that Strome wasn’t a top 6 forward which they thought he was and they threw him away
    Wouldn’t surprise me if they were upset at Larsson and traded him.
    Which i think would be the right decision in the long run ( I don’t think he will look good in a few years)
    But Mcdavid doesn’t want the long run

I hope they have Montour on the radar but I’m guessing it’s Ristolainen. If the plan for next year is to trade Russell and Sekera though. I could live with that. I like Sekera but the Leftorium is just too expensive

17. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Maybe I’m wrong about this, but wasn’t Nuge on PP2 the last couple of years? And he’s on PP1 now?

Looks like he was split last year – he had about 43 5 on 4 minutes with McDavid and 68 without.

18. leadfarmer says:

jtblack:
    I have a hard time moving the #8 pick

Just so much potential with that Pick on an ELC
    Ehlers himself was a #9.

So much potential to bust too. I mean the history of 8ov picks other than the 80s guys is pretty meh

But I’m more comfortable with our amateur scouting then our professional scouting

19. OmJo says:

JimmyV1965: Who exactly are scoring these goals? You cannot realistically expect more goals from McDavid, Drai, RNH, Kassian or Chiasson. If this group of five scores the same amount of goals next year I’ll be blown away. No one else on the team can score, no matter who you have on defence.

This is true.

The awesome thing about McDavid is his Sh% this season is only 2.7% higher than his career Sh%. So he’s very well a 40-goal player and on a better team a 50-goal guy, IMO. Nuget-Hopkins is just +1.7% too.

Draisaitl’s Sh% is +5.4. Kassian’s isn’t as bad, only +2.4%. Chiasson is at +4.9%. So there will be some regression.

I’m worried people might ignore Sh% when makng expectations and come down on Draisaitl next season if he doesn’t challenge for the Rocket Richard trophy next season and his Sh% comes back down to earth.

The defence aren’t doing the forwards any favours, but having better defence doesn’t make bottom 6 guys ultimately find their scoring touch. And the forwards aren’t doing the defence any favours either.

Just get good players. Period.

20. jtblack says:

leadfarmer: So much potential to bust too.I mean the history of 8ov picks other than the 80s guys is pretty meh

Hey LF. Great site. interesting to quickly look at a Slot and see

I also looked at 7,8 &9. It’s a complete crap shoot.

But Essentially if its JP, Benson & #8. You gave up #4, #8 & a #32 for Ehlers.

Ehlers is guranteed.

1 in the Hand is worth 3 in the Bush 😎

21. OmJo says:

Glen Sather coming back would be a father coming home from a long work trip, leaving the house to kids, only to find it burned to the ground.

22. LMHF#1 says:

dustrock: Oh I agree, but how do you fill the holes?

I’m in favor of blowing most everyone out…so in my scenario, there would be money – both for signings and trading for others.

I agree with only counting on 1 from that group.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Is Larsson’s back a concern for anyone else?

Why would it be – aside from missing a few weeks with a back issue last year (and he was dynamite when he came back) he has had zero back issues. He skipped a training camp practice with tightness.

There is zero indication of any sort of back issue.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss: Yes
    OP has been whining about it constantly

*Edit- this is a joke btw- he’s going to reply to the original comment before he reads this

Whatever are you talking about…….?

25. LMHF#1 says:

leadfarmer,

If they land Risto, people should jump up and down. Guy is a star in the right situation.

26. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are the Maria Celeste of sports franchises.

27. Reja says:

hunter1909:

First thing Sather in his prime would do is tell the media and trolls to dummy the fuck up and rub it in that Edmonton has the best player in the world and we will win a cup within three years.

28. leadfarmer says:

LMHF#1:
    leadfarmer,

Curious why you say that. He is definitely not a star and should be played in the second pair with a defenseman that can defend because he cannot. Just because you play top minutes does not make you a top defenseman
    +/- is a flawed stat but -43 is pretty darn ridiculous
    Sure he gets 40 points but he gives so much the other way.
    Would not surprise me if Buffalo quietly moves on from him to a team that is very quickly shocked to see how bad he is defensively
    He has the Jack Johnson buyer beware label all over the place

29. JimmyV1965 says:

hunter1909: Last night you kicked ass. You’re one of the most astute Lowetide posters ever.

Thanks Hunter. I really appreciate that. I’m thinking that whisky is clouding your judgement. LOL

30. Mr DeBakey says:

Oilpower:
    What about trading Lucic, yamamoto and the 2020 first rounder for Huberdo, or would that not be enough for Florida? Maybe if it was a July 2nd deal after bonus were paid and throw in Filip Berglund or Marino?

What about trading Lucic and a highish pick [or Lagesson] to Florida for
    James Reimer and a lower pick [or lesser prospect].

This trade is on July 2, of course.

31. JimmyV1965 says:

OmJo: This is true.

Just get good players. Period.

Great post. I think we’ve had the Drai discussion a few weeks ago. I believe the majority don’t think he’ll repeat the same numbers next year. 35 goals and 90 pts is more likely. Holy crap!!! That would be a magnificent regression.

Quit trading players entering their prime, even if they have flaws.

Very little chance the Oilers can get better trading McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, or Nurse.

And one better be damn certain if one risks trading Nugent-Hopkins or Larsson.

33. Reja says:

Jimmy is misunderstood. Jimmy doesn’t like losing. Jimmy likes Elaine.

34. Reja says:

Watching the boo jays holy moly Buck and Pat must have strict instructions from Hazel not to say anything negative.

35. leadfarmer says:

Elliott with a .200 sp before getting pulled. Don’t think I’ve seen 4goals on 5 shots before
    That’s impressive

36. JimmyV1965 says:

Reja: Jimmy is misunderstood. Jimmy doesn’t like losing. Jimmy likes Elaine.

This Jimmy can’t jump.

37. G Money says:

I find these days that my eyes tend to glaze over when I read trade suggestions.

As LT showed at the very start, the harsh reality for the Oilers is that they have just a few legit NHL players. Most of the rest of the roster is filled with borderline NHL players at best, and most of those are in roles well over their head.

D for W? If you trade one of the few NHL players we have in order to fill a roster hole, you’ve just created another roster hole.

That’s not progress, it’s roster whack a mole.

That’s not to say those players shouldn’t be traded – any player is fair game as far as I’m concerned.

But those trades need to either be reverse-Chiarellis (a lesser player for a significantly better player, so that your whack-a-mole game at least leaves a smaller roster gap), or LT’s legendary 3 for 1s, where a group of lesser assets is sent away to get a single better player.

In some cases, the “better player” may simply be cap space. *cough* Lucic *cough*

My personal belief is that those reverse-Chia and 3-for-1 trade opportunities are going to be few and far between EVEN if (if if IF) we get a competent GM.

Development of the kids on the farm, savvy drafting, and making those rare good trades when they become available is the only real sustainable path to success … and as much as I hate to say it, that’s going to take patience.

Yay us.

38. Maoriduvpoojt says:

dustrock:
    Dennis King
    ‏ @DKingBH
    5m5 minutes ago

Dennis King Retweeted Dennis King

Just a follow-up on this. It looks like positive change is coming. I’m not sure as to the extent, but, there are gonna be some moves that are a major step forward

Dennis King added,
    Dennis King@DKingBH

Obviously not gonna say how I know, but, the McDavid comments are causing pure chaos in the Oilers organization. This isn’t me speculating. This is me knowing
    4 replies 2 retweets 3 likes

Edit; The bottom tweet is from 2 days ago, the top tweet was just posted.

Interesting to see that McDavid’s comments, but more importantly my email to Mr. Katz last night has created waves in the org.

LT, Woodguy,

If you get called into Oil HQ, let us know, would you?

FYI, in my impassioned correspondence I implored the owner for the sake of all the spawn of life-long Flames fans (only HE can turn them) who actually wear McDavid jerseys (and there ARE a shit-ton) to take the GM search out of the hands of Bobby Nicks. The only solution is to employ a consultant group composed of elite-thinking Oiler fans like LT, WG, Jon Willis, Sunil S & GMoney (I used all their real names) to bring forward 3-5 names for recommendation as the POHO. This POHO would be the one to hire the GM.

Either that or they become the Oilers Scylla aka GM’s AND POHO by committee.

Anyone else like to be nominated for this consultant group? If so email me at:

MaoridvupoojtAardvaarktits@fantasylandinyourdreamsiwishihadsuchinfluence.com

39. G Money says:

Maoriduvpoojt,

Go Aardvark Schmoobs, keep fighting the good fight!

40. Reja says:

leadfarmer:
    Elliott with a .200 sp before getting pulled.Don’t think I’ve seen 4goals on 5 shots before
    That’s impressive

It’s kosh’s fault

41. Sierra says:

Cassandra,

A Sekara-Benning 2D gets caved and this team is worse than it is now….especially with the 3D behind them.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Second last game of the year and my last.

Can Drai get 3 more goals in the next two games?

Can Nuge get 3 more points in the next two games?

Go Oilers!

43. OmJo says:

I have time for Zach Kassian as 2RW next season.

*dodge*

Also, I’d rather see Rieder on the Oilers instead of Nicholson next season.

*duck*

Also also, Matt Benning is a good 3RD.

*dip*

Also also also, Sam Gagner is a useful NHL player.

*dive*

Also also also also I’m willing to trade Puljujarvi to clear out the entirety of Lucic’s contract.

*dodge*

Oh and #BringBackYak

*does ‘The Matrix’*

44. Rebillled says:

Ben,

We’ve been eating at Arby’s for a while.

If you put Eat Arby’s up against a mirror guess what it spells?

LOILTY

45. leadfarmer says:

G Money,

Hard thing is how much patience does Mcdavid still have. They need to have a long sit down with him and at least have him understand the plan. If he doesn’t have the patience for a retool then unfortunately we’ve lost him already. An excellent GM is not going to turn this team around by next season. 3 top 6 F. An entire 3rd line a puckmoving RHD and a capable goalie is too much without much cap space

46. OriginalPouzar says:

A chincy hooking call on Kass 30 seconds in (behind the Shark net).

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Beauty of a shortie for Leon – 48.

48. OmJo says:

Rebillled:
    Ben,

We’ve been eating at Arby’s for a while.

If you put Eat Arby’s up against a mirror guess what it spells?

LOILTY

Unless your Bob Nicholson. Then it spells TRAITOR.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

Boom, right there, watching that beauty of a play and Drai’s double pump celebration, no matter what else happens in the game, the provided me with reason to watch and I’m glad I have.

50. oilsnc79 says:

Did you see the Molson cup presentation… Mcdavid looked n disinterested. Another message maybe??

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai with a terrible turnover at his own blueline trying to get fancy.

Sharks proceed to have 30 seconds of pressure and end up scoring.

I’ve got to think Drai doesn’t try that very high risk play at his blueline of the game means something more than a chase for his 50 goals.

Bad Drai.

leadfarmer:
    That’s impressive

He heard the Oilers were interested.

53. StixMalone says:

Nurse and Larsson just like deers in the headlights….

54. Ice Sage says:

godot10: He heard the Oilers were interested.

Then he’s helping his cause!
    Gotta beat Stolarz

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Yikes, Burns gives the Sharks the lead with a lazer wrist shot under the bar.

That was one of the best wrist/snap shots I’ve ever seen – geez!

56. StixMalone says:

Keep tanking boys… golf season is just around the corner…

57. Ice Sage says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yikes, Burns gives the Sharks the lead with a lazer wrist shot under the bar.

That was one of the best wrist/snap shots I’ve ever seen – geez!

He had all kinds of time and space. Oilers not really competing

58. Réal Goudenyéu says:

oilsnc79:

If the message hasn’t been received already it’s not going to be.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Rieder almost with the goal – damn!

60. Oil2Oilers says:

The SJ save percentage sucked, until the let Rieder shoot

61. oilsnc79 says:

Réal Goudenyéu: If the message hasn’t been received already it’s not going to be.

So very true. Sad to say.

62. Maoriduvpoojt says:

oilsnc79:

Leafs fan, huh?

63. StixMalone says:

Put Reider on the power play!

64. Maoriduvpoojt says:

I wonder if Oilers score on what will be their only PP of the game?

65. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Maoriduvpoojt:
    I wonder if Oilers score on what will be their only PP of the game?

No worries, I got this….

Nope

66. OriginalPouzar says:

PP2 looked good out there, much better than PP1.

Quick puck movement and lots of pucks towards the net (although we do know that shots from the poitn are generally less effective – they are move effective than forced passes by PP1).

Rieder almost with the goal – damn!

67. Professor Q says:

The New York Roughriders revealed their new uniforms today.

Exciting times in the NFL.

68. pts2pndr says:

dustrock: That’s the worst case scenario.

Trading him may be a mistake, but I’ve argued for years now that if you have to sell someone, sell them when their perceived value is highest.

Nurse is seemingly a great guy, he fights, he skates, he now has over 40 points.The Jack Johnson comp from Cassandra is very interesting.

What is his actual replacement value for the Oilers?That’s the question.

The suggestion from me, and Cassandra, and others, is that his perceived value may be higher than his replacement value.So sell high.

He has improved every year. He is from a background of professional atheletes. He is a consumate professional and team mate. Are you that sure you are selling high? Risky bet given his tool box. Given the difference in durability the smarter move might be moving Klefbom. The most common sense approach is to leave Nurse and Klefbom alone and move Sekera and Russel even if it’s for magic beans. You then use the cap to fill holes. Making a hole to fill a different hole is a fools errand.

Bag of Pucks:
    There is one trade the incoming GM has to make.

Lucic and a JP out for low cap asset in

OR

Lucic and the lottery pick out for low cap asset in

There are so many holes on the roster, clearing out the likes of Lucic and Russell HAS to be priority #1

This teams needs cap space to retool on the fly.

We need value contracts going forward. Those are obtained by first round high draft picks not by using high first round draft picks to get rid of a bad contract. What your suggesting gets us cap hell with the possibility of a better player. When you get in a hole for all thats holy “STOP DIGGING”!

69. Psyche says:

Maoriduvpoojt,

This is awesome.

“Gold Jerry, pure gold.”

A nice sequence there for Gambardella.

71. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Impromptu irrelevant random poll.

Anyone think the mouth breathers who habitually and enthusiastically pound the glass at NHL games stop pounding the plexiglass if arena staff spread liberal amounts of bovine feces on said glass?

72. oilsnc79 says:

Maoriduvpoojt,

Nay Bob, not on your life… Hence.. Oilsnc79. Ol guy bin with oil SNC. Wish slats never left. Lol.

73. Reja says:

oilsnc79:
    Maoriduvpoojt,

Nay Bob, not on your life… Hence.. Oilsnc79. Ol guy bin with oil SNC.Wish slats never left. Lol.

Quick. Who scored the last goal for the Oilers in the WHA.

After One:

2-1 San Jose
    12-9 San Jose shots
    18-11 San Jose Corsi 5-on-5

That was a reasonably played first period by Edmonton. Clearly not in a playoff race, playing out the string, there were some good moments. I liked the Cave and Gagner lines. The 97 line was poor at 5-on-5.

75. Maoriduvpoojt says:

oilsnc79:
    Maoriduvpoojt,

Okay, whew! Sorry about that, good to know.

I was trying to figure out the acronym and figured it meant Obviously In League (with) Sports Net Commentators, with the “79” being an ambigram (aka Connor).

76. OmJo says:

McDavid looks very annoyed.

77. Alpine says:

Our friends from 2006 summer camp are back in the playoffs. I wish we were the team that got Niederreiter for a song.

78. oilsnc79 says:

Reja,

Omg man. Hardly rember yesterday. I could have googled tho. I rememer chipperfield as captain tho…

79. leadfarmer says:

godot10: He heard the Oilers were interested.

Yeah. I think he will be ok as a 1b type goalie but someone will probably think he is their solution in net, which a guy who has lost 4 starting jobs and will be 34 is unlikely to be

80. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Alpine:

Did you mean “Song” or “Strome” (there are 3 of them and we HAD one…….

81. Alpine says:

Maoriduvpoojt,

Strome was the song I had in mind, yes.

82. oilsnc79 says:

Maoriduvpoojt,

Itoy, not liking many of sn sannouncers. Of course, gretz, Hamilton and Lumley. Ah. Ron Lowe. Infamous… Loved the 80s man… So much fun.

83. Gerta Rauss says:

hehe….Leon

84. Réal Goudenyéu says:

ONE MOAR LEON

85. Oil2Oilers says:

Oilers should keep Hitchcock, even if he is not the head coach, in charge of when to call for coaches challenges and time outs. These have radically improved during his tenure.

86. Reja says:

Leon the Maschine

87. leadfarmer says:

Maybe we can get Granlund from the Preds
    That trade looked like highway robbery for them but it’s turned into a complete dud

88. Professor Q says:

Turtle Meier.

89. Glovjuice says:

jtblack:
    “starting with 16 and 33 and continued until today.”

But today I was wonderingIf Hall stays. If Barzal is an Oiler

Where is this team.

Not here.

90. Glovjuice says:

Professor Q:
    Turtle Meier.

Lucic is a joke. What a buffoon.

91. YKOil says:

Alpine:

It is what made the Strome trade so egregious – no one can tell me that Strome and a pick was a better trade than Rask.

92. Reja says:

Nucks lose in regulation.

93. Reja says:

Glovjuice: Lucic is a joke. What a buffoon.

Why so nasty?

94. Oil2Oilers says:

As it is unlikely the Oilers will manage to solve the ‘2RD’ problem over the summer or the D who can make a pass problem. I posit the following bridging strategy.

Benning has struggled to play effectively above 3RD but does have puck moving skills. Sekera has the skill and track record but is getting long in the tooth.

But, building off the Dellow sheltering examination and the Woodmoney comp bins, a hard matching coach could staple Sekera-Benning to the McDavid-Draisaitl line at home giving them secondary modern quality of competition and near first pairings minutes. Backing off the minutes and comp on the road for a safer pair off hands that square off the puck.

95. Glovjuice says:

Reja: Why so nasty?

96. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Alpine:

*edited, 2nd attempt

Anyone remember that time the Islanders traded their 21 year old 2010 5th overall pick for Clutterbuck?

Since the trade:

Nino stats: 468 games 123 goals & 256 points
    Clutterbuck: 439 games 57 goals & 118 points

Here’s a nutty outside the box idea…………………………. how about let’s NOT trade Jesse?

97. ArmchairGM says:

Apropos of nothing, I think Evan Bouchard’s ceiling is Brent Burns. Not a 5-tool guy, but really, really good at what he does.

98. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Oil2Oilers:

Nope Nurse-Russell occupy that position

*later this evening someone counters 25’s Wowy Stats with 97

99. Maoriduvpoojt says:

leadfarmer:
    Maybe we can get Granlund from the Preds

Love me some Granlund, but he may be a beast in the playoffs

After Two

3-2 San Jose (1-1 in the second)
    22-21 San Jose shots (13-10 Edmonton in the second)
    32-25 San Jose Corsi 5-on-5 (Edmonton 14-13 in the second)

Good period, the usual things losing teams do (faceoff loss, not tying up the guy’s stick in the slot, errant passes, etc). Leon needs one.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

Fun game to watch!

102. Maoriduvpoojt says:

ArmchairGM:
    Apropos of nothing,I think Evan Bouchard’s ceiling is Brent Burns. Not a 5-tool guy, but really, really good at what he does.

He will be a point producer for sure.

He is an untouchable in my books.

103. Reja says:

Glovjuice: You mean yappy. So, you don’t think Lucic is a joke at $6 large for that type of 1995 play?

I think the Oilers will trade him this offseason it will sting but it’s best for both parties.If I’m correct you only have 4 periods to enjoy Milan.

104. Chief Inspector says:

Let’s go Leon!

105. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m highly confident that not a single one of Lucic’s teammates had any issue with his actions and that each and every one of them were happy with them.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid pressing so hard to try and get the puck to Drai at every opportunity – even making poor decisions in that regard a few times. Then there is Rattie passing up decent looks to Drai and shooting at every opportunity (not that he can be faulted for shooting).

107. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:

I won’t even bother with a retort………..but, I’m sure his teammates would like more from a $6 million dollar player. I’m sure 97 would like to be in the playoffs. One more top six winger could have been the difference. Ok, that’s a retort.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

That’s nice – that has nothing to do with the post you made mind you.

109. Professor Q says:

Someone got really mad on the ice.

Mic caught “Oh come on, f*@k off!”.

110. Gerta Rauss says:

Leon has had a couple good looks this period

111. JonyPro says:

Reider has ZERO offensive vision lol poor guy

112. Gerta Rauss says:

I like Drai in OT

113. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:
    That’s nice – that has nothing to do with the post you made mind you.

That’s funny. Someone should do a thesis on this blog. Lots of human communication dynamics to study. Someone else can say what I’m trying to say here smarter than me but you all get my drift RE the thesis thing.

114. Younger Oil says:

Of course that’s the one time in the last 10 minutes when the ref raises his arm.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

What a fun game – ignoring the pressing to get the puck to Drai, that was a heck of a third period.

116. Professor Q says:

Should that have been a penalty shot?

117. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Professor Q:
    Should that have been a penalty shot?

Technically no, but I thought the same thing.

IMO a play like that with under 1 minute left and a team down by 1 should be awarded a penalty shot.

118. BONE207 says:

Dell wins the game. He was a time zone or two further down the list of goalies this season.

Does that mean it’s not the goalie so much but the shooters?
    I know…because Oilers

Drai gets #50 against the fLames

119. YKOil says:

Pending lotto results, no higher than 6th and no lower than 8th.

For me, I love thinking about the draft this time of year. For my team to be thinking about this, I hate it. I hate it for them as well.

120. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

He chips in where he can … it’s just about the only play he can make now.

121. Ben says:

“Worst” they can do is 8th-last, Rangers need 3 of 4 remaining points for Oilers to move “up” to 6th.

7th looks pretty likely. That’s Turcotte on LT’s list.

Bring on the lottery (fart-cheer)!

122. digger50 says:

Good game for fans. Two goals for Leon. Gain a spot in the draft.

Good result tonight.

123. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    McDavid pressing so hard to try and get the puck to Drai at every opportunity – even making poor decisions in that regard a few times.Then there is Rattie passing up decent looks to Drai and shooting at every opportunity (not that he can be faulted for shooting).

124. Glovjuice says:

JimmyV1965: Ya. I think McDavid was pressing a bit there. Probably best not to change his game. Easier said than done though.

125. BONE207 says:

Ben: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now if I were Hunter, I would say that this is what they found written inside one of the cattle cars during the world war 2.

It’s a gentler kind of fire these days…

126. BONE207 says:

hunter1909: This is sublime.

Ha…my last post I wrote before I saw your post. I knew it would catch your eye. You must be getting sentimental or nostalgic in your old age. You are taking to heart a lot of postings these days.

If the Oilers make the playoffs one year, you might even cry…😘

127. JimmyV1965 says:

Glovjuice: 2nd last game of the year in another failed season and we are discussing a player changing his game. Only in a few places in the world and we are one.

128. BONE207 says:

JimmyV1965: Maybe communication is an issue. By changing his game I simply meant forcing passes to Drai where there really wasn’t a clear pass and giving up his own shots to pass to Drai. I didn’t mean he was revamping his game on the second last night of the season.

Your communication was loud & clear. Depending on Lovjuice’s chemical enhancement for the evening, the interpretation app in her pretty little mind dances among the stars in no particular pattern just like the Aurora borealis…🤣

I can believe I’m going to be over in the death march contest. I think I picked Hemsky 83, or maybe 81.

Krueger with his g$dawful team managed a 77 point pace. Hall >> McDavid.

I like Hitch’s press conferences. I don’t know if I like Hitch hockey.

Dallas made the playoffs with no secondary scoring, missing Klingberg for about as long as Klefbom, Polak on the 2nd pair, and Taylor Fedun rocking the 3rd. That team tracks back as hard as any team in the league. They had great goaltending. But Montgomery, Nelson, and Bowness made a fantastic coaching team. Zuccarello is finally playing. if he can trigger some secondary scoring, that team could surprise.

One mauler on D is useful. Polak is that for Dallas. The Oilers have that skill in Nurse who has other tools as well. Nurse is also able to munch minutes. If I were decision maker, he would be a keeper. Like Petry, he is not perfect, but the moment you trade him, you will miss him.

Klefbom is similar.

130. G Money says:

I HAVE DOUBLED THE RAM IN MY LAPTOP. ALL MY POSTS WILL NOW BE TWICE AS VERBOSE.

leadfarmer,

I’m of the opinion that McDavid has that old school mentality when it comes to hockey loyalty.

As long as there is a (n actual not a Chiarelli) plan, and they show real progress vs that plan year on year, I think the Oilers have the 3 yearish window they are likely to need to build back to true contention.

And even just with Mc and Drai and a bunch of cardboard cutouts in the rest of the roster, I think we’re always one super hot goalie season away from squeaking into the post season anyway.

131. JimmyV1965 says:

You guys killed it with these last three posts. And I really don’t mean you killed something or someone.

132. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

G Money,

– I like the cut of your jib

– I get we are at the fantasy part of the season but only luck and development change our situation. Maybe those are the same thing. But trading real players to get back net better players- hockey doesn’t work that way.

– There is not one contending team that is there by making wicked trades. They are all draft and development teams augmented by some trades. Not the other way around

133. BONE207 says:

G Money:
    I HAVE DOUBLED THE RAM IN MY LAPTOP. ALL MY POSTS WILL NOW BE TWICE AS VERBOSE.

leadfarmer,

HEY…what’s with the yelling at this time of night???

With all that memory you’d think you’d know that.

Goalies are always voodoo or perhaps like a box of chocolates?

134. OriginalPouzar says:

Second round of the OHL and QMJHL playoffs go tonight and all Oiler prospects in action (subject to Maksimov’s health – he missed the first round).

I’m actually quite bummed that, aside from tonight, I’m going to miss the entire round – will stream the Guelph/London game tonight – really wish I was able to watch the entire series – should be a good one. My money is on Guelph.

135. hunter1909 says:

godot10: The Oilers have that skill in Nurse who has other tools as well.

Trading Nurse basically means the management have no interest in contending, ever.

136. ArmchairGM says:

Glovjuice: One more top six winger could have been the difference

Nope. Not even close.

137. ArmchairGM says:

Ben:

7th looks pretty likely. That’s Turcotte on LT’s list.

Bring on the lottery (fart-cheer)!

Any chance Cozens drops this far?

138. BONE207 says:

ArmchairGM: Any chance Cozens drops this far?

139. Glovjuice says:

BONE207: Your communication was loud & clear. Depending on Lovjuice’s chemical enhancement for the evening, the interpretation app in her pretty little mind dances among the stars in no particular pattern just like the Aurora borealis…

Well, it was fine communication. Mine was poor. It should be obvious the 97 will change his game to get Drai 50. Point point is it should be expected.

140. ArmchairGM says:

G Money: I HAVE DOUBLED THE RAM IN MY LAPTOP. ALL MY POSTS WILL NOW BE TWICE AS VERBOSE.

I’ve heard that typing in ALL CAPS makes every internet argument stronger. 😉

141. ArmchairGM says:

BONE207: Dach Cozens & Byram are listed as 4,5,6 & like Ben mentioned, Turcotte at 7. However, the top 3 I believe will change just like in Poolparty’s draft. No consensus & no slam dunk Nhl player for the start of next season. We could be on the cusp of getting Cozens & then of course factor in the lottery, it might work out. Be patient…Tuesday will enlighten all of us.

😁
    I’m looking forward to the lottery. Does that make me a bad person?

142. BONE207 says:

ArmchairGM:
    I’m looking forward to the lottery. Does that make me a bad person?

Well I think it makes us the backers of a poor team/organization.

Does that reflect our Fan IQ?

143. russ99 says:

Here’s Nurse’s boxcars:

Age 21 – 44gp – 5-6-11
    Age 22 – 82gp – 6-20-26
    Age 23 – 81gp – 9-31-40

Klefbom’s at the same age:

Age 21 – 60gp – 2-18-20
    Age 22 – 30gp – 4-8-12
    Age 23 – 82gp – 12-26-38

Why are we trading Darnell again?

Not to mention he’s got a year left at a $3.2M hit and then is still an RFA next summer.

144. PinkSocks says:

Woodguy v2.0: Before TBY trades anyone they buyout Callahan.

TBY doesn’t have a cap problem.

Except both Palat and Johnson have full NTCs. So does Gourde starting July 1.

$8.5-$9m for Point and they have ~$4m to sign a 4,5,6 and 7 D.

Buying out Callahan only saves them $3m and adds cap to next season when they have open the wallet for their 25 year old Vezina goaltender, and Sergachev.

If that’s not a cap problem then neither is Edmonton’s.

145. G Money says:

BONE207,
    ArmchairGM,

When you’ve been watching this team for as long as I have, developing cap troubles is inevitable.

146. CallighenMan says:

Andy Dufresne: If Im St Louis, the opening ask for a 25 year old cost controlled (3 more years) RHD of Parayko’s calibre is Nurse and Bouchard.

Gross overpay on our part.

« Older Comments