Just Like Honey

It was billed as a miserable final game in enemy territory, another evening spent watching the rising Calgary Flames against the frustrating team to the north. And then, in the wink of an eye, things got real in a quick hurry. After a round of Hail Mary, full of grace, it was over an hour of the kind of worry that only comes during truly massive life moments. I spent part of those 60 minutes trying to find a few lines from ‘Stop All the Clocks’ that might fit this morning’s blog. Call off the poets, hasten down the wind. Connor McDavid’s injury may not be catastrophic. We wait. It’s been hospital walls since midnight, but at least we’re not in emergency.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: The Oilers have a trio of Condors blue pushing and all three are tracking well. How does this group compare to the Petry, Chorney, Wild college men from a decade ago?
  • New Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers, the republic of Finland and the 2019 draft.
  • New Lowetide: Will the new GM continue the Oilers aggressive pursuit of college free agents?
  • New Jonathan Willis: Connor McDavid’s frustration should be seen by the Oilers as a warning of possible disaster.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers have another problem to solve: Lifting the cloud over a clearly frustrated Connor McDavid
  • Lowetide: What’s going on with Connor McDavid’s with or without you numbers?
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The four blows that set up the knockout of the Oilers from playoff contention.
  • New Jonathan Willis: The Oilers’ failures of 2018-19 will cost people their careers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Chipped teeth, playing DJ and lots of Game of Thrones: A week in the life of Darnell Nurse.
  • New Lowetide: Kailer Yamamoto’s first pro season a cause for concern.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the giant talent pool that is the USHL.
  • Lowetide: How the Oilers can shop for a big bang on a small budget
  • Jonathan Willis: How the Oilers can turn their prospect depth into the blueline of a contender.
  • Lowetide: What Mark Hunter’s draft record in Toronto means for his Oilers GM candidacy.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers made a rare move and shopped the QMJHL at the 2018 draft. It could happen again.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

OILERS AFTER 82

• Oilers in 2015: 31-43-8, 70 points; goal differential -38
  • Oilers in 2016: 47-26-9, 103 points; goal differential +36
  • Oilers in 2017: 36-40-6, 78 points; goal differential -38
  • Oilers in 2018: 35-38-9, 79 points; goal differential -31

LAST NIGHT

LEON’S 50

The record will show, for all time, Leon Draisaitl climbed the mountain and cashed 50 in a season. Frank Mahovlich hit 49, so did Gordie Howe, but 50 is a special place. The names who did it previously as Oilers include Gretzky, Kurri, Messier and Anderson. Wonderful company. Well done, young man.

MCDAVID’S INJURY

I had wine last night, really good wine and it hit the spot. A nice evening got better when Leon scored 50, but time stood still when 97 got tripped and then crashed into the post. The slow motion replay didn’t help, the lip readers and carnival barkers chimed in and honestly by midnight I was regretting the wine.

Things stopped just short of becoming Wild Bill’s Circus Story. I saved a couple of tweets (I was going to use them here) but several twitter followers noticed and now I’m worried that it could send some negativity out into the ether. So, I won’t quote the tweets planned here, instead delivering the words that would have followed.

Twitter is basically the Los Angeles shown in the original Blade Runner movie. People say things on twitter that are either “first thoughts run through no filter” or troll messages. In a moment like last night, we aren’t at our emotional best, so when a message about McDavid comes through that can be seen as critical or laughing, then it’s easy to allow the vitriol to rise.

However, if the individual tweets a “clearly wasn’t meant as…” follow up, I think you have to take them at his or her word. We all develop a past, so if it is chronic behaviour that’s a different story. The examples I saved last night, in my opinion, were not troll comments but rather tweets that hit hard in the moment and could have been rephrased. I wanted to point that out, because there seems to be a growing twitter police who aggressively pursue any and all tweets and assume the worst. It’s happened to me, in one instance I was accused of writing something that I clearly did not, and it took several back and forths to set things right. Fortunately, in that exchange, the other individual was mature and re-read what I wrote.

If you want to get into twitter fights, then go your best. Otherwise, it might be an idea to wait a heartbeat. Sometimes it’s a wayward thought poorly expressed. I think we’d all like a chance for that second tweet to be read. Agreed?

THIS WEEK

It’s garbage bag day at the Oilers, that means exit interviews and media avails for the players. These are usually mildly interesting or less, but in light of last night’s injury one imagines the entire organization has been soberly reminded of what the future may bring.

Many fans believe the organization is going to ‘get it right’ and hire a competent general manager. One who will bring the team into this century in terms of analytics and analysis.

Many fans believe it’ll be status quo with a new man at the helm. I’ve read in recent days that hiring Ken Holland would be unwise, as his Detroit Red Wings are also in cap hell and on the outside.

My own feeling is this: Interview Ken Holland, and Ron Hextall and Pat Verbeek and Mike Gillis and Kelly McCrimmon. Don’t stop there! Interview Keith Gretzky, Dean Lombardi, Ross Mahoney, Al Murray.

WHAT YOU REALLY REALLY WANT

When it comes to this management hire, I don’t think Oilersnation is going to get what it wants. Those who want Verbeek or McCrimmon may get their guy (or similar), but I’m willing to bet a 2-4 Craig MacTavish and others will remain in the front office.

I will also tell you that Ken Holland as GM for two years, with Keith Gretzky remaining as AGM with the promise of the top position by 2021, is an option that will receive heavy consideration (if Holland is available).

I endorse no specific road. I will tell you my own opinion is less rigid than everyone who interacts with me on this issue. I can see all of these working, if the Edmonton Oilers stop careening from one pole to the other.

You can have speed, skill and win puck battles. You can have big men on the ice but they have to skate. You can sign players who can help on the penalty kill and play a skill position.

I believe we’re going to see a lot of movement this summer. That’s fine. If the Oilers add speed, skill, penalty killing and goaltending, music! If the Oilers continue down a road that trades away everyone 25-29 in favor of <21 and >30, in favor or size over smarts, we’ll all meet back at the lottery this time next season. It’s as simple as finding a template that works, and starting as you mean to go.

Can they?

249 Responses to "Just Like Honey"

« Older Comments
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

For The Athletic: The Oilers have a trio of Condors blue pushing and all three are tracking well. How does this group compare to the Petry, Chorney, Wild college men from a decade ago?

Can’t wait to find some time to read that – I have a feeling I’ll be underwhelmed by the conclusions though given chances are likely only 1 “makes” it as a top 4 and maybe one as a tweener.

2. Georgexs says:

Georgexs: Bah, I missed PIT.

.731, TBL

.587, TBL
    .580, PHI
    .580, PIT
    .540, NJD
    .500, CBJ
    .457, TOR

And here’s the P% of WC playoff teams when playing against other WC playoff teams:

.654, STL

.640, WPG
    .560, LAK
    .560, MIN
    .521, SJS
    .520, ANA
    .500, COL

I’m not sure why NSH is so low this season. Hmmm…

3. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Think I’ve probably asked this before but does the CBA allow for performance bonus laden contracts? How does it work with the cap?

Can you give a guy like Chiasson $1.5m but the ability to get an extra $500K for every 10.goals he scores?

No – performance bonuses can only be on ELCs and 35 plus contracts.

4. Georgexs says:

Woodguy v2.0: That’s great info, merci.

Do you have your own database or are you using someone else’s?

DB is too strong a word. I pulled the results off of hockey-ref (by highlighting the data in the table) and pasted it into excel. Did everything in there. Happy to share if you’d like.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss: Bonuses like that are only allowed on age 35+ contracts

And the AAV is stated assuming ALL the bonuses are reached, and only calculated downward at the end of the season (assuming the player doesn’t reach certain thresholds)

You first point is correct (except ELCs can have performance bonuses as well).

On the second point, the daily accumulated cap hit for the player is determined without reference to the performance bonuses (the bonuses are not accounted for originally vis-a-vis cap compliance in the their year), however, if any of the the bonuses vest, they count against the cap in the year earned – if they take the team over the upper cap limit at year’s end (there is a cushion to do this) then a cap penalty is incurred for the next season.

6. JimmyV1965 says:

HT Joe: So you can’t name one person who was really wringing their hands?You’re just vaguely reading comments, extrapolating, assigning emotion where none exists, and then accusing the group as a whole.Gotcha.

Ya. You’re reading maybe possibly just a tad too much into my comments. But it’s your right to be offended. Some people enjoy it.

7. Rebillled says:

Imaginary conversation with Connor after the 2016 playoffs from futureman.

“Hey Connor, you guys aren’t gonna make the playoffs next year.”
    “Really? We’re ranked as a cup favourite next year.’
    ‘No, Sekera and Klef are hurt most of the year, Talbot lets in a lot of goals and we trade Eberle for Strome before the season. Lucic is lost. Maroon goes at the deadline.’
    “What about 2018?’
    ‘No, Sekera is hurt most of the year, Talbot lets in a lot of goals and is traded for Stolarz. Lucic is lost. Reider is aquired and scores 0 goals and your starter is Mikko Koskinen.’
    “Who?’
    “TMac was let go and replaced by Hitchcock, Chia signs Koskinen to 3 years, days before he’s fired.’
    “Who?’
    “April fools!’

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Why is he not signed yet?

After the turn of the calendar to 2019, there is no difference between him signing 2 months ago and him signing when he’s done in the playoffs. I’m sure it will happen moments after Saginaw is done and prior to him heading the to Bake – I’m not concerned.

The gating time was the calendar year. If he signed in 2018 then, next year, his contract would be subject to slide if he didn’t play 10 NHL games (even in the AHL). Given he’ll be signing in 2019, no slide possibility – next year will burn the first year of his ELC. Not a huge deal.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan McLeod finished with 2G and 2A, plus 4, 6 shots on net and 14/19 on the draw – named second star.

10. Georgexs says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Georgexs,

– to what might be attributed to the big increase this year with the CF relationship after years of waning?

CAR, for example, last season:

CF% 54.48 (ranked 1st)
    SH% 7.03 (28)
    SV% 90.88 (30)
    PDO 97.9 (30)

And this season

CF% 54.80 (2)
    SH% 7.17 (28)
    SV% 92.07 (14)
    PDO 99.2 (23)

Same possession numbers, better goaltending numbers.

CGY last season:

CF% 53.50 (3)
    SH% 6.85 (29)
    SV% 91.86 (22)
    PDO 98.7 (26)

CGY this season

CF% 53.83 (5)
    SH% 9.09 (4)
    SV% 91.81 (19)
    PDO 100.9 (6)

Same possession numbers, shooters better at hitting the targets.

So good possession teams may have fixed some of the leaks in PDO. Once they do that, they get the full benefit of being better possession teams.

11. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OriginalPouzar:

That’s one hell of a game. Who was first star?

12. Mr DeBakey says:

Oil2Oilers: Kris Russell for James Reimer?

Reimer is a bit expensive as a backup at 3.4M x 2 more years. But Russell is ill cast in the 4RD role an too expensive down the roster. For me it would be addition by subtraction plus filling a hole in goal. Reimer did not have a great year last year but he has years of delivering at least league average goal keeping in his resume.

My dream is Lucic for Reimer, with a pick or prospect to sweeten it for Florida [on July 2].
    I hope the Oilers are aiming higher for Russel – let’s say Kirill Kaprizov from the Wild.

13. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: We do need to aim higher but not necessarily for the bottom six which this would be for.

We do know his ceiling and its a solid 2-way, bottom six players with speed who can score 10-12-15 goals.

He didn’t provide that last year but he has many times in the past and, if he’d be willing to sign for around the fully buryable amount ($1,050,000), it is zero risk and potential high value.

Of course, if the signing is with the thought of the top 6 then its awful but I don’t think that would be the case.This is the type of signing for a player to compete with Marody and Benson for roster spots next year.

Sorry OP. But I disagree. Our bottom 6 is a big part of the problem. We need them to collectively score a conservative estimate close to 40 goals to be a good team. Bottom 6 PK time is usually 50 to 70% of the total time and we ranked was it 28th. So lots of improvement is needed.

Bottom 6 on good teams
    Phlegms sam bennett played bottom 6 minutes and had 13 goals

On the Bolts Cirelli 19 and Paquette 13 goals

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

SwedishPoster,

Yeah I like the idea of multipel AGMs with different areas of expertise. I think I’ve suggested before that this org needs to bring in some guys out of europe to get part of that discrepancy with euro players, russians in particular, out of the way. Too many wasted opportunities due to a lack mutual understanding imo.

That’s a great idea SP.

A really, really good one.

15. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Andy Dufresne: Excellent Post. Thank You.

IF I was in a playoff pool those are the four teams I would choose from

.731, TBL
    .655, STL
    .603, BOS
    .577, CGY

Then you’d get killed because BOS and TBY meet in the 2nd round.

You need someone from Metro.

My picks are:

STL
    VGK
    TBY
    WSH

16. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Thoughts?

17. Scungilli Slushy says:

Pouzar: Young Willis isn’t convinced he is ready for AHL. I don’t have any data to back up my claims but I feel McLeod’s elite speed, IQ, and playmaking would play up really well in the “A”. Don’t think he will ever be a goal scorer but a middle 6 center who can win faceoffs, chip in with some offense and kill penalties is just what this team needs.

Thoughts?

Ideally he should be dominating the level he’s at. He hasn’t done that. For tweener types not rushing them would be more important, have to build confidence first to the point there is no point being there anymore.

18. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: Lowetide once told us the story of Mike Illitch and the Detroit Red Wings.History rhymes.

I bought that book on LT’s suggestion.

I thought “no way it takes Katz as long with these fine young talents”

I was so young.

19. Reja says:

Thoughts?

Todd Marchant type has speed goes to the right places man do we need some draft picks to hit. Benson and Marody look real good together I could see both easily making the team next year.

20. Scungilli Slushy says:

“I mean, you’re not going to get much from ‘them’, ‘they’re’ pretty mad about it and I understand that.”

A ‘personal’ touch from Marky 🙂

21. Ryan says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: That’s one hell of a game. Who was first star?

That was my first thought too, lol.

22. Georgexs says:

Georgexs: In recent seasons, high CF% teams would often have low PDO. Their shooters and goaltending were below the norm, so their better possession game didn’t translate to better results.

CAR, for example, last season:

CF% 54.48 (ranked 1st)
    SH% 7.03 (28)
    SV% 90.88 (30)
    PDO 97.9 (30)

And this season

CF% 54.80 (2)
    SH% 7.17 (28)
    SV% 92.07 (14)
    PDO 99.2 (23)

Same possession numbers, better goaltending numbers.

CGY last season:

CF% 53.50 (3)
    SH% 6.85 (29)
    SV% 91.86 (22)
    PDO 98.7 (26)

CGY this season

CF% 53.83 (5)
    SH% 9.09 (4)
    SV% 91.81 (19)
    PDO 100.9 (6)

Same possession numbers, shooters better at hitting the targets.

The Oilers basically ran in place.

17-18:

CF% 50.59 (ranked 18th)
    SH% 7.48 (21)
    SV% 91.79 (23)
    PDO 99.3 (23)

18-19

CF% 47.98 (24)
    SH% 7.66 (21)
    SV% 91.52 (26)
    PDO 99.2 (25)

How you do at 5v5 comes down to those 3 stats: CF% (possession), SH%, and SV%.

For a team that misses the playoffs in a season, making the playoffs next season is typically a matter of improving on 2 of 3 of those stats. (NYI managed to get in this season by improving just SV%; nearly a full 2 points though.) These kind of improvements happen every year. Heck, we did it ourselves a couple of years ago.

23. hunter1909 says:

Rebillled:
    Imaginary conversation with Connor after the 2016 playoffs from futureman.

“Hey Connor, you guys aren’t gonna make the playoffs next year.”
    “Really? We’re ranked as a cup favourite next year.’
    “What about 2018?’
    ‘No, Sekera is hurt most of the year, Talbot lets in a lot of goals and is traded for Stolarz. Lucic is lost.Reider is aquired and scores 0 goals and your starter is Mikko Koskinen.’
    “Who?’
    “Who?’
    “April fools!’

I’ll have a go: Satan with a bunch of Oilers fans:

“Hey Oiler fans, congrats on getting Taylor Hall. 2X Memorial Cup MVP’s don’t exactly grow on trees and you will not believe this but Oilers will be getting another player in to follow who will be considered to be even better – think Bobby Orr playing centre.”
    ‘That’s awesome!’
    “Also, Oilers will be getting this Yakupov kid 1st overall, he’s shaping up to be Pavel Bure 2.0”.
    ‘Plan the parade!!’

“There’s more. Oilers also get another 1st overall pick along with this German player named Draisaitl who’s going to turn into a 50 goal scorer”
    ‘No way this can’t be true’
    “There’s more! Oilers also get RNH another 1st overall pick, and star junior defenceman Griffin Reinhart…and Dubnyk will go on to become an All Star goalie!”
    ‘Please excuse me while I go and drop dead from happiness!’

Satan then pulls out a bunch of contracts.
    “Just sign here, it’s all going to come true!”

24. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Reja,

The main knock on McLeod at the draft was that he was inconsistent and didn’t go to the slot often enough. It was enough to drop him from mid-late first round to 40th. If he can ramp up the consistency of his effort and work harder to get into prime scoring areas he’ll have a great chance to make an impact on a nightly basis.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Thoughts?

I agree about his potential ceiling – big, fast 3C with decent skill and PK – high end 3C potential, maybe some 2nd line ability.

Don’t think Oiler fans should project him as a “scorer” and also it will take a few years – especially for a “responsible game” type of skill set.

I haven’t seen him play too much this year so tough to comment on if he’s AHL ready but I doubt there is much to gain from an over-age season in junior.

AHL for sure I think and, with a couple of Benson, Marody, Joe G., Currie, Yamamoto also in Bake, he’ll get some good shelter.

26. hunter1909 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Reja,

The main knock on McLeod at the draft was that he was inconsistent and didn’t go to the slot often enough.It was enough to drop him from mid-late first round to 40th.If he can ramp up the consistency of his effort and work harder to get into prime scoring areas he’ll have a great chance to make an impact on a nightly basis.

In other words it’s up to the player to decide whether he intends to keep working as hard as it took to get him near the NHL; or to decide he’s had enough and to let fate take its course(often leading to bust town).

You see this all the time with young players; particularly rookies who have a strong season often based on lack of scouting from other teams which then changes during the sophomore + season because now that player is scouted and has less opportunity to coast.

Then you have the Draisaitl/McDavid players who constantly work to improve their game. When Leon Draisaitl returns home to Germany his father is going to first congratulate him on his achievement, then show him his offseason killer schedule so when next season begins Drai can return even better than his 100 point season.

The Oilers management have trouble developing young players, mainly on the fact that the only experience they’ve had is being mediocre players who themselves lucked out by getting to be spear carriers for a dynasty. And as everyone knows, this is a hard thing to teach young players, many who, through no fault of their own have problems understanding Lowe+MacT’s concepts of the NHL.

27. dustrock says:

I think McLeod could definitely play in the AHL next year. But the expectation I think should be 2 years in the A.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Reja,

The thing with a knock like that is that consistency is often something that comes with age and maturity.

Leon took leaps and bounds in they department this year.

29. Bulging Twine says:

Georgexs: To refine this a bit further, here’s the P% of EC playoff teams when playing against other EC playoff teams:

.783, TBL

.640, WPG
    .560, LAK
    .560, MIN
    .521, SJS
    .520, ANA
    .500, COL

I’m not sure why NSH is so low this season. Hmmm…

Great info, thanks a lot

30. Glovjuice says:

OriginalPouzar:
    FYI – random sushi restaurant in Tokyo is GOOOOOD!!!!

Can’t imagine how the Michellin-2 star place I’m booked in to for Tuesday is going to be (the experience alone should probably be worth the difference between $30 for two of us last night and $375 for myself on Tuesday).

$375 for one person. To eat. Yikes.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Rishaug reporting that MRI results seem encouraging for McDavid.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Glovjuice: $375 for one person. To eat. Yikes.

Glovjuice: $375 for one person. To eat. Yikes.

Yup – I’m in Tokyo, hell ya I’m having a traditional sushi meal. Michelin- 2 star restaurant, some 94 year old sushi master – sitting at the counter. Set menu, no substitutions – eat what and how he tells me.

Going to be a great experience.

33. Maoriduvpoojt says:

10 am Oiler Press Conference tomorrow, see Oilers website for live coverage.

Might be nothing, just end of year blather, but I have a sense there will be some kind of announcement.

34. bendelson says:

I enjoyed The Jesus and Mary Chain reference LT.

Thank you for yet another fantastic season here on the blog.

Now, about next Tuesday…

35. Admiral Ackbar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yup – I’m in Tokyo, hell ya I’m having a traditional sushi meal.Michelin- 2 star restaurant, some 94 year old sushi master – sitting at the counter.Set menu, no substitutions – eat what and how he tells me.

Going to be a great experience.

Tell me it’s Jiro’s!! Saw a documentary about him and his sons.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Admiral Ackbar: Tell me it’s Jiro’s!!Saw a documentary about him and his sons.

I think so, yes. I’m going to Sushi Masuda:

“Sushi Masuda” Mr. Rei Masuda

At the prestigious sushi restaurant well known worldwide, “Sukiyabashi Jiro”, Mr. Masuda has been trained for 9 years. In 2015, he opened his own restaurant “Sushi Masuda” in Omotesando, Tokyo. The restaurant consists of six seats at the counter and one room for six people. It should be fully booked almost every day, with “three part system” starting from 5pm, 7pm and 9pm. It has been awarded Michelin 2 stars and international guests account for even 60 to 70% of its whole customers. In October 2016, “Sushi Wakon” , his second restaurant was also open in Kyoto. They are focused not only on their own restaurants but also on training their chef disciples. This time, the owner Mr. Masuda talked about what he learned during his “training period” and his vision in the future etc.

37. ArmchairGM says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    SwedishPoster,

That’s a great idea SP.

A really, really good one.

SP angling for a job offer? 😁

38. OmJo says:

Slow day?

Anyhoo…

Stuck in Frankfurt airport for the next 9 hours.

Wearing an Oilers hat, random German dude starts up a convo with me about how proud he is of Drai getting 50 goals and how much he wants him to play for Germany this summer.

Edit: My dumbass forgot it’s early morning in Edmonton rn and just turned April 8.

*bangs head against wall*

39. Yeti says:

ArmchairGM: SP angling for a job offer?

He’d get my vote in a heartbeat.

40. ArmchairGM says:

Yeti: He’d get my vote in a heartbeat.

Mine too.

41. v4ance says:

Pierre LeBrun

Verified account

@PierreVLeBrun
    56s56 seconds ago
    Source says Quenneville’s deal in Florida worth north of $30 million over five years depending on bonuses. So $6 million plus a year. He was making $6 million a year in Chicago in his old deal. Tells you how aggressive/committed the Panthers are at making this off-season count.

bendelson:
    I enjoyed The Jesus and Mary Chain reference LT.

Thank you for yet another fantastic season here on the blog.

Now, about next Tuesday…

great band, great album, great song! Thanks for contributing!

OmJo:
    Slow day?

Anyhoo…

Stuck in Frankfurt airport for the next 9 hours.

*bangs head against wall*

First cup of coffee in these parts! Glad Leon is getting some love back home.

44. OmJo says:

Lowetide: First cup of coffee in these parts! Glad Leon is getting some love back home.

I was wondering why you didn’t make a post yet today lol

Shows how often I travel. Nothing compared to what OP does.

Kinda hope he does decide to play at the world championship. I think he’s converting Germans into Oilers fans. I wonder how the convo would have went down if I was in Finland or Russia 🤔

45. OmJo says:

Also, JQ to Florida.

Nice place to retire.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Hmmmm, its Monday bedtime here (almost 11pm).

Presser at 10am Monday morning in Alberta means 1am here – I think its just “end of the year” stuff so I won’t set the alarm for it but I do need to set the alarm for 3am (noon back home) to check in at the office as tomorrow is a massive day for a real big a prominent transaction I’m in the middle of. I have my star associate on it and have got a partner filling in but we have about 10 banks that need to sign off on a big credit agreement tomorrow or provide comments and I feel the need to be available for the comments – its a very complicated structure.

Will just hit the hotel gym at that time too.

Who needs to catch up on sleep during vacation and, eff you jet lag – plane landed 28 hours ago and we’ve done a TON already – happy.

For The Athletic: How winning the draft lottery and drafting Jack Hughes could transform the Oilers

48. Phil says:

Absolutely!

Greetings from Germany 🙂

And have a pleasant stay at Frankfurt Airport, Omjo.

49. OmJo says:

Phil: Absolutely!

Greetings from Germany

And have a pleasant stay at Frankfurt Airport, Omjo.

Thanks!

OriginalPouzar,

You don’t wanna miss Mr. Burgers talk about how he has his plan is better than Chiarelli’s plan???

« Older Comments