Roll Your Own

It’s hard enough to suss out a team’s summer list of priorities when a general manager is in place. Without a general manager indicating his priorities? Well. It’s not mission impossible, but you can see it from there. Let’s have a lash.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group.INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: How high can these Condors fly?
  • Lowetide: Ron Hextall’s patient approach as GM would be shock to Oilers’ system
  • Jonathan Willis: Michael Futa’s success at the NHL Draft makes him a credible GM candidate for the Oilers
  • Lowetide: The Oilers possible summer trade pieces, and which longtime players might be saying goodbye.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ten prospects likely to be available when the Oilers make their first-round pick.
  • Jonathan Willis: Bob Nicholson mostly says the right things, but stalls on making changes to the Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The pressure’s squarely on Bob Nicholson to make right GM hire for Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers Report Cards: Few passing grades remain in season full of failure.
  • Lowetide: How winning the draft lottery and drafting Jack Hughes could transform the Oilers.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers have a trio of Condors blue pushing and all three are tracking well. How does this group compare to the Petry, Chorney, Wild college men from a decade ago?
  • Jonathan Willis: Connor McDavid’s frustration should be seen by the Oilers as a warning of possible disaster.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers have another problem to solve: Lifting the cloud over a clearly frustrated Connor McDavid
  • Lowetide: What Mark Hunter’s draft record in Toronto means for his Oilers GM candidacy.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers, the republic of Finland and the 2019 draft.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers made a rare move and shopped the QMJHL at the 2018 draft. It could happen again.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

ABOUT THE GM

We are flying blind. The new man may say “we need a goalie!” and we’re off in that direction. The new general manager could spend $6 million on Robin Lehner or trade for Juuse Saros and Edmonton will have a $4.5 million backup. It’s important to remember everyone not named Connor McDraisaitl-Hopkins among forwards is vulnerable, with a lot uncertain on blue and in goal.

AREAS OF STRENGTH

Again it depends on general manager and coach, but if the organization chooses an “up the middle” path, Edmonton isn’t far from balance.

I like this group a lot. The center four lack a righty, but Brodziak didn’t help the PK so unless someone else emerges that’s the best quartet. The left side of the blue is quality, veteran and balanced, while the right side brings a tough veteran who gives no quarter. Now, the new GM might trade one of these men, but we’re going to assume this is the cluster’s inner circle.

THE GAUNTLET

Now comes the difficult part of the roster. There are good players who can be added to this group, as well as quality youngsters who have earned the right to compete for NHL jobs. There are also men with cap hits that sewer the ability for the new GM to wheel. Let’s add the good players, the best of the youngsters and the deals that appear to be unavoidable.

There’s about $10 million left and a No. 1 LW, No. 1 RW, No. 14F, No. 7D and No. 2 goalie to add to this group. Now, the “group” is fatally flawed, and that’s the big part of the problem.

Among the forwards eligible for buyout, who is likely to be the most effective next season compared to the cap relief purchased for 2019-20?

Same thing, with defencemen:

Buying out Russell isn’t something the Oilers would do, as the disaster that awaits them in year two is Lucician. So, if the Oilers buyout Lucic and Sekera, the savings is $5,375,000 and that’s most or all of Brett Connolly. The team would need to rely on some kids, but they would be relying on a group who showed they were quality in the AHL this season.

I’m buying three free agents (Connolly, Panik, Elliott), I’m sure you’ll have your own favourites. This roster relies on the three best Condors from this season (Benson, Marody, Jones) and that’s as it should be year to year.

I understand the defense is no better, in fact without Sekera that third pairing is far less impressive. For me, all of the external options are just too damned expensive. It’s like trading for a center. No sir. Evan Bouchard, Joel Persson, Ethan Bear, the right side will be solved in due time, internally. In the words of the great philosopher Mel McDaniel Roll Your Own. I’ll have an article up at The Athletic on the Condors later today.

194 Responses to "Roll Your Own"

1. J-Bo says:

The problem is, you cant buy out Lucic. It is just too horrible long term. One would think Lucic at 1/2 salary retained and a sweetener is doable somewhere to unload the contract. No?

2. Concur says:

I do not believe buying out Sekera is a good option. The defense you have listed is poorer than last year without him. Kris Russel has trade value (to someone). He is the one that has to leave to free up cap space. There is no way I would be giving up Sekera, someone who has a positive impact on the team.

3. leadfarmer says:

Maybe the Leafs will get sick of getting pushed around and will trade Zaitsev for Lucic if we make the cap hit even by retention or trading someone like Khaira to Arizona to retain the cap difference
    What a mess
    No playoffs next year either

4. Bryan says:

Those games last night were nasty. Big boy hockey in the playoffs so far. Hopefully this summer there will be a GM who thinks his team was pushed around too much and will bite on Lucic with some salary retained.

5. Cassandra says:

Considering it was against the Bruins, Kadri shouldn’t get anything for that hit. First, it was against the Bruins who employ a filthy animal who long ago should have been kicked out of the league. Second, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting considering all the talk.

The league is a complete joke. They don’t enforce the rules which allowed the Bruins to steal an undeserved Cup from Vancouver, and then they arbitrarily suspend some players and not others. And when they do suspend players it is for random amounts of time.

6. Bryan says:

Concur:
    I do not believe buying out Sekera is a good option.The defense you have listed is poorer than last year without him.Kris Russel has trade value (to someone).He is the one that has to leave to free up cap space.There is no way I would be giving up Sekera, someone who has a positive impact on the team.

Definitely. I was amazed at how well Sekera played considering the severity of his injuries and how much time he had missed. If he can have a good summer of training he should be a valuable asset again.

7. Bryan says:

The reffing last night in Boston was awful. You didn’t have to be Nostradamus to see that something very unpleasant was going to happen with the way the game was allowed to escalate. There was a lot of filthy play on both sides but there’s no doubt that the Bruins were leading the parade. Kadri is definitely at least done for this series though. He had plenty of time to think about his actions before he hit Debrusk and he has too many very similar plays on his rap sheet. I can understand why he was seeing red at the time but it doesn’t excuse what he did. He’s going to be eating a lot of popcorn.

8. Professor Q says:

Bryan,

Kadri should be gone, as should DeBrusk.

Possibly so should Tavares and McAvoy.

The Muzzin hit on Krug should have been a boarding call. Why did his arms go that far up after the hit, anyway? Yes, it was shoulder to shoulder at first, but he put some extra force into it at a dangerous distance from the boards…

But the referees and officials have no accountability whatsoever.

9. Jaxon says:

I think you trade Russell and maybe even retain $500K to $1M if it gets you a better return. Spend $5M on Tyler Myers. That would be a very strong D.
    Klefbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Myers
    Sekera/Jones/Lagesson – Benning/Bear/Bouchard/Persson

10. who says:

I like your lineup LT.
    I would switch Benson and Panik and I have no idea who J-S Dea is?
    Two questions about the buyouts.
    1. What do you do the next year when Lucic costs you 2 million more?
    2. Couldn’t you just give Sekera away? Even if you had to retain 1 to 2 million?

11. Bryan says:

Professor Q:
    Bryan,

Kadri should be gone, as should DeBrusk.

Possibly so should Tavares and McAvoy.

But the referees and officials have no accountability whatsoever.

Sam Bennett with a head shot on Cole right in front of the ref last night too. Everything is happening at warp speed in the playoffs but they need to find more consistency with the calls.

12. buck yoakam says:

thats it!…Lucic 1m retained for Kadri…let Milan loose on his old team next year…

13. Jaxon says:

I watched Raphael Lavoie highlights last night. Wow, what a player. Big, fast, scoring player that drives to the net and cycles like crazy. Great shooter, great passer. But his speed for a 6’4″player is what impresses me most and the fact that he keeps moving and is very active always looking for spots to get open. I hope Edmonton drafts him. He’s played both wings and centre this season. Big, speedy Sniper sounds like a perfect fit for either McDavid or Draisaitl. It sounds like he is also one of the more NHL ready players as well with his speed, size, hockey sense, and mobility. I’m not really sure why he isn’t ranked higher. Some of it may be bias against the Q.

14. Professor Q says:

Jaxon,

Apparently he’s a bit older? At least from what I gather from the complaints in here. Yet I really do find Lavoie a highly intriguing prospect for Edmonton.

who:
    I like your lineup LT.
    I would switch Benson and Panik and I have no idea who J-S Dea is?
    Two questions about the buyouts.
    1. What do you do the next year when Lucic costs you 2 million more?

You could definitely deal Sekera, but I wanted specifically to focus on the buyout option. For the record, I wouldn’t buy out anyone.

16. flyfish1168 says:

I’m not sure if he is a UFA or his rights is own by someone. But I would like to bring Mikhail Grigorenko back to the NHL and see if he can find success now that he is a little more mature.

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@PuckIQ

Small but important update done on the site this morning:

Column headers are now “sticky” and stay on screen as you scroll down.

Column determining the player sort is now highlighted.

Stick tap to @lowetide posters Leadfarmer, ArmchairGM and @life_timely for the suggestion.

Jaxon:

19. razor says:

I’d rather buy out Lucic and Gagner rather than Sekera.. Sekera is just way too valuable to this team when healthy. Exhibit A was how much he settled down the defence when he was placed on third pair. Oilers need to stop the bleeding RE: Goals against just as much as they need support scoring, and Sekera helps tremendously with that.

20. Ice Sage says:

About a week early for Rolling your Own (#420), LT!
    but that’s the Oilers, a week early and a dollar (or 10 millions of them) short.

Good playoffs so far, lots of script re-writes.

21. fifthcartel says:

I think they have to improve the defence. Kris Russell at 32 on 2RD doesn’t inspire confidence, though I really like the left side, the right side is a big weakness. I know it’ll be expensive and Bouchard and co. are coming but that seems like a weakness waiting to be exploited by other teams.

Forward is concerning but I feel like the defence is being overlooked.

Ice Sage:
    About a week early for Rolling your Own (#420), LT!

Good playoffs so far, lots of script re-writes.

BAH! Cam Thompson tweeted that to me this morning and it went completely over my head. Booze does rot your brain!

23. Paulie says:

An observation, not trying to pick a fight here. Lucic gets a lot of love. In 2017 Eberle makes a very soft play against the Ducks in the playoffs, a goal against results, and then everyone from management to fans wan’ts to run him out of town. Lucic hasn’t made a play in two years, fans still love him and pull for him, and we think we can trade him as long as we retain some salary. Why would anyone want a replacement level player for $3MM per yr over 4 yrs?

24. dustrock says:

Canada U-18 warmup today won 6-5 against Belarus.

Newhook with hat trick including OT winner. Krebs with 1+1. Cozens with 3A.

25. dustrock says:

Anyone think they’ll actually tell us why Lucic has been walking around with a cast and crutches?

26. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Puck moving D or bust.

27. Darth Tu says:

dustrock,

Sympathy pains for McDavid?

Paulie:

Great point. You have to find a team Lucic is willing to go to, and that wants him. Needle meet haystack.

29. Darth Tu says:

If Gretz is in charge the lineup probably looks something like this to start the season:

Drai – McD – Kassian
    Khaira – Nuge – Gagner
    Benson – Marody – Currie
    Lucic – Cave – Pool Party (unless he get’s traded)

Klefbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Benning
    Sekera – Bouchard

Koskinen
    Elliot (or some other free agent)

That’s not what I would do, but that’s what’s probably happening if Keith is in charge come the start of the season. Flip Benson and Khaira around depending on who is HC as well.

30. russ99 says:

Full on sell mode for lesser players we aren’t bringing back, get some extra picks.

Benning for Brown seems like it’s going to happen at some point.

Gagner is useful so I’d rather not buy out. If we can make a trade so be it.

I’d also trade Puljujarvi’s rights and the #8 for an NHL player and a low first/high second.

No on bringing back Chiasson.

I’d try to move Kassian if we can get cap relief. He’s going into the last year of his deal.

Sekera and Russell’s NMCs decrease on July 1, Sekera’s NMC downgrades more (he lists 15 team he can be traded to) so he will be more tradeable then. I’d keep Russell (he lists 10 teams he can be traded to, goes up to 15 next July) until next deadline when his final year salary is quite small and we could get back a decent asset.

Lucic is tricky, he may be tradable (yet he still has to accept a trade) with salary retained but not until after the bonus vests on July 1. Also buyout window is closed after the end of June, so if there are no takers, we’d need to offer a player like Khaira arbitration to open a second buyout window.

I guess it comes down to Katz. Would he just buy him out in the first window to not have to pay the bonus, even if it means more cap flexibility from a trade vs. the nasty 2nd and 3rd year of the buyout?

I’d suspect we’d send out feelers for a deal well before July first to see what the market is, and if there’s room for a deal.

31. russ99 says:

dustrock,

That’s quite worrisome. No trade or buyout if he’s hurt.

32. McNuge93 says:

Bryan: Definitely.I was amazed at how well Sekera played considering the severity of his injuries and how much time he had missed.If he can have a good summer of training he should bea valuable asset again.

Agree with this. Our defence is better with Sekera back. If we could upgrade on Russell either this summer or next that would be a significant improvement. Ideally you trade Lucic with salary retained. Easier said than done but that would be a new GM’s statement that he can and will turn this team around.

33. Rube Foster says:

flyfish1168:

I think he has another year left in the KHL, but I would be all over some Mickey G!
    At the right price it he might be able to fit into our top six. At worst, he could give us some quality depth and versatility in the bottom six.
    Grigorenko is the type of player the new GM needs to target.

34. innercitysmytty says:

leadfarmer,

Thing is a competent and creative GM along with a strong analytics, pro scouting and cap management team could fix many of our issues and have us at least competitive in year one and fix the rest in year two. I don’t hold out hope that the org makes the right hires to do this.

35. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Georgexs,

Responded to you in the previous thread.

36. innercitysmytty says:

Paulie,

Paulie,

Paulie,

russ99,

But there’s a third possibility and that’s the Ferrence route.

37. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    @PuckIQ

Small but important update done on the site this morning:

Column headers are now “sticky” and stay on screen as you scroll down.

Column determining the player sort is now highlighted.

What a great job and service you and your crew have provided!

38. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

That was quick
    Do you have GMoney locked in your basement?

39. Reja says:

Cassandra:
    Considering it was against the Bruins, Kadri shouldn’t get anything for that hit.First, it was against the Bruins who employ a filthy animal who long ago should have been kicked out of the league.Second, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting considering all the talk.

The league is a complete joke.They don’t enforce the rules which allowed the Bruins to steal an undeserved Cup from Vancouver, and then they arbitrarily suspend some players and not others.And when they do suspend players it is for random amounts of time.

From what I recall it was Horton getting completely plastered in game 3 essentially ending his career. Never poke the Bear.

40. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Do you guys have the ability to sort out the elite comp Toi in first 30 seconds of the elite shift?
    We know through Dellows work that teams shelter some pairings by putting them out there after 30 seconds so while it seems that they are playing against elites at that point in there shift those elites are getting tired and tend to not be so elite and are looking more for a line change

41. Reja says:

Paulie:

Did you not watch the games yesterday.

42. leadfarmer says:

Eberle with another
    On the ice for 7/8 isles goals this postseason
    He took the Trotz dip this season but Is on fire this postseason

43. leadfarmer says:

Jack Johnson J Schultz pairing
    Rutherford is too funny

44. JimmyV1965 says:

For the love of everything decent, I hope the new GM doesn’t think he’s signing free agents and solving this team’s problems. Panik and Connolly are just different versions of Benoit Pouliot. They’re fine players at bargains prices, but if you’re giving these guys term and money you’re looking at another buyout in two years. We are infinitely better off taking the est. $7.5 mill and trading for a legit top six winger.

45. Gerta Rauss says:

Well this Masters just got exciting

JimmyV1965:

Two Benoit Pouliot’s would be perfect about now.

47. JimmyV1965 says:

We might not be able to move Lucic, but I suspect teams will be beating down the door for Kassian. He’s maybe the one player we can realistically move whose trade value gets us more in return.

48. Professor Q says:

What changed in the week between when Nicholson said he was hiring a POHO first, then a GM, and when he said that he wasn’t hiring one at all?

It seems like too quick of a turnaround, and it really is too unfortunate with Krueger now available.

The new GM should NOT be shopping in the UFA bin for substantial players. He should be shopping in the salary cap dump bin.

Look for forwards with one or two years left on their contracts that teams want to get rid of, rather than having to offer term to UFA’s, with the McDavid salary scale shift now fully in place.

50. flyfish1168 says:

Jordan Eberle Playoff leading scorer

51. Réal Goudenyéu says:

flyfish1168:
    Jordan Eberle Playoff leading scorer

Trade the bum!

52. Paulie says:

Reja,

Get someone with muscle that brings more than AHL level offense to the game and who can play on PP and/or short handed. Pay him less than $12MM over four years. That should do it.

53. Gerta Rauss says:

Professor Q:
    What changed in the week between when Nicholson said he was hiring a POHO first, then a GM, and when he said wasn’t hiring one at all?

Did Nicholson say that though..?

The fanbase has been vocal about a POHO, I don’t recall Bobby Nick ever mentioning it

54. JimmyV1965 says:

Lowetide: Two Benoit Pouliot’s would be perfect about now.

55. leadfarmer says:

JimmyV1965: I truly hope the next GM doesn’t share that belief. Good role players, who can slot into the top six for short term, but not worth term and money. They are complementary players.

Tying up 8 mil in those two guys would be a mistake we regret within the first year

56. Professor Q says:

Gerta Rauss: Did Nicholson say that though..?

Yes, I believe he did. He said something about hiring two, as opposed to one. At least I think I saw it.

I remember there being reports as to that being the process around the STH meeting.

godot10:
    The new GM should NOT be shopping in the UFA bin for substantial players.He should be shopping in the salary cap dump bin.

Matthieu Perreault might be a reasonably priced cap casualty in Winnipeg.
    Mike Hoffman might be a reasonably priced cap casualty in Florida.

Maybe one of the defense prospects and mid round draft pick for Perreault (or Hoffman). (Cash in Lagesson)

And Benning for Connor Brown.

One gets two serviceable forwards, without an immense commitment of cap space and resources.

Trotz denied Eberle his candy (Barzal) all season. #theStick And then gives him his candy (Barzal) back in the playoffs. #theCarrot

59. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: I have him No. 22, it’s an excellent year for the QMJHL. I have 10 kids from the Q in my top 100.

For sure. Pelletier is intriguing as well. Jeremy David (rankings rely heavily on SEAL adjusted stats) had Lavoie at 9 on January 7, well before his current heater. It will be interesting to see where he ranks him next. I like his ranking system that accounts for age, League, situational stats, etc while also doing eye tests and being wary of skating issues, etc.

60. who says:

godot10: Matthieu Perreault might be a reasonably priced cap casualty in Winnipeg.
    Mike Hoffman might be a reasonably priced cap casualty in Florida.

And Benning for Connor Brown.

Why does everyone think the Leafs are willing to trade Brown for Benning?
    A Brown trade would be a cap dump for the Leafs. Taking back Benning doesn’t accomplish that. Also, the Leafs have plenty of 3rd pairing righty dmen. They need a top 4 righty.
    Any Brown trade to the Oilers would be for a pick or prospect.

61. smellyglove says:

I know this is cherry-picking, but:

– Chiarelli trades Hall for Larsson. Hall wins league MVP, Larsson goes on to be 2nd pairing D.
    – Chiarelli trades 1st/2nd for Reinhart. 1st becomes Barzal, first line stud, Reinhart washes out of league
    – Chiarelli trades Eberle for Strome. Eberle goes on to lead playoff scoring in ’19 so far. Strome turns into AHL player then unwanted Gagner.

And without rehashing the past: fuck Chiarelli, he took a potential dynasty in waiting to a bottom-feeder. Nicholson should be banished to Kazakhstan, how owns this.

62. Scungilli Slushy says:

flyfish1168:
    Jordan Eberle Playoff leading scorer

63. flyfish1168 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Don’t trade talent unless you have the replacement for sure, warts or no warts. Timing is everything, PC treated the Oilers like the team was the one on his X Box

You are right. A lot of fans and media judge Jordan on his 1st experience with the playoffs. He needed a mulligan and didn’t get it. On a side note “Go Tiger”

64. JimmyV1965 says:

who: Why does everyone think the Leafs are willing to trade Brown for Benning?
    Any Brown trade to the Oilers would be for a pick or prospect.

65. Paulie says:

smellyglove,

The number of staggeringly bad trades, FA signings, and contract negotiations Chia bungled over the years defies belief. How could someone perform so poorly across so many fronts for so long? Makes me wonder if he was a plant for the league pissed out the Oil for landing McDavid.

66. who says:

JimmyV1965: There was a rumour at the trade deadline of a Brown for Benning trade. The Leafs only had one RHD play consistent minutes this year and that was Zaitsev. Like half the teams in the league, they are searching for RHD. I’ve had concerns about Benning’s play in the past, but I really think he settled down his game this year. IMO he’s a legit RHD in this league and that has value for many teams, including the Oilers.

Yeah I remember the rumors. It just never made any sense to me. The Leafs already have the 2 Russians and Holl. With Lilligren coming.. If you see Zaitsev as a 2RD that still leaves the other 3 to fight over 3RD.
    Unless you think Benning is capable of top 4 minutes. I don’t.
    The trade also doesn’t solve any cap issues for the Leafs.
    But hey, if the Leafs will do it, I make that trade yesterday. Hell, I was hoping we could get a 3rd rounder for Benning this summer.

67. Oil2Oilers says:

My summer TO DO list for the GM is exactly the same as last summer;

Get rid of the anchor contacts of Russell and Lucic. Last summer it was one if not both, this summer it is both.

As for a nice to do if possible; Top six Left wingers that is a first person shooter, puck moving RHD that and a quality backup goalie.

It is a modest list, the Oilers will not win the Cup next year (they don’t have the goal tending even if all else is fixed)

I would be willing to give up Nurse, Bear and this years and next 1st round picks. Nurse for players like (in ranked order) Parayko, Ehlers, Nylander. The picks I am willing to give on because they are 3 to 4 years away from helping the McDavid cluster and I don’t worry about expansion drafts. Plus if the Oilers achieve my must do above they will not have to protect Russell and Lucic.

68. Reja says:

Paulie:
    Reja,

Every team in the NHL would take a Tom Wilson signed for 4 years at 3 mil these players are very rare and not as easily found as you described.

69. leadfarmer says:

who,

Well they will try to dump Zaitsev

70. Ice Sage says:

The Penguins era appears to be drawing to a close.
    Trotz has done an amazing job.

71. Alpine says:

Panik at 3 million really wouldn’t be an issue if you can get him for 3 years max.

This is not the same as Benoit Pouliot being paid 4 million for 5 years back in 2014 when 4 million was a higher percentage of the cap.

If you can get even 25 ES points out of Panik plus some penalty killing, I think he would be good value at 3 million. There’s a lot of UFA forwards out there. I imagine some will sign for reasonable deals.

72. Paulie says:

Reja,

I agree that these types of players have lots of value at that price point. Wilson is good for around 20 goals / 40 points a year and is a wrecking ball on the ice. I just don’t see Lucic ever getting back to that level of offense. Maybe he’ll pull a Dustin Brown revitalization thing off but that’s a risky bet at $12M over 4 years. Even if he bounces back some offensively there are the associated injury risks that come with age. He’s been durable so far but who knows. LT’s RE on Lucic pts and gp should be interesting later this off-season.

73. Rebillled says:

I’m glad that Bob Nicholson is not in a hurry to do anything¡

#firepeoplewhomakeyoulooklikeanidiotkatz

74. Alpine says:

Reja,

I don’t think every team would want him at that price, but I do agree that there are some teams out there who value that player type and don’t care if he ever scores 40 or even 30 points again.

If you retained 50% on Lucic, for example, the acquiring team would have to pay him 8 mil in salary over the next four years provided the Oilers pay his July 1 bonus. That’s 2 mil a year on average. Not very much for a cap floor team at all.

75. Sierra says:

dustrock:

Oh is this true. I haven’t heard this prior to now. Wow

76. Fuhr and Lowething. says:

UFA Gustav Nyquist.

Thoughts?

For The Athletic: Last night the Condors clinched the AHL Pacific and are off to the playoffs. Not many with draft pedigree but several legit NHL prospects. How high can these Condors fly?

78. who says:

leadfarmer:
    who,

Well they will try to dump Zaitsev

That still doesn’t make Benning a 2RD. IMO.

79. Bag of Pucks says:

A Masters win for the ages. Beautiful.

80. who says:

Paulie:
    Reja,

Dustin Brown still has a set of hands, even when he was struggling..Another poster nailed it on here a few days ago. Speed isn’t the issue with Lucic. He has no hands. And he has no edges. He can skate fast enough, he just can’t turn. Or make a play with the puck.
    No GM in his right mind is going to be willing to pay Lucic more than 1 million on a 4 year deal. Moving him requires a SIGNIFICANT sweetener.

81. Reja says:

Paulie:
    Reja,

I hope they find a trade partner this offseason that doesn’t hamstring us to badly. He definitely needs a fresh start and if he’s traded he undoubtably will score at least 15G 35Pts for the rest of the contract because that’s the way it’s been going since Pronger skipped town.

82. russ99 says:

who,

Brown for Benning was rumored as a close miss at the deadline and teams would likely circle back and try again after the season.

Also, Lucic isn’t going to retire. 1. He’s too proud, 2. The players union won’t let him unless he’s hurt. They don’t want to send the message to teams that they can pressure a player to retire to remove a difficult contract. LTIR Robidas style would be more likely, but pretty doubtful.

83. npanciroli says:

Cassandra:

With that said, the Bruins beating the Canucks was one of the greatest moments in hockey for me personally. I own a Bruins jersey as a celebration of that victory and Kesler can rot in Hell.

84. Reja says:

who: Lucic at 3 million isn’t even in Tom Wilson’s zip code. Or Kassian’s for that matter.
    No GM in his right mind is going to be willing to pay Lucic more than 1 million on a 4 year deal. Moving him requires a SIGNIFICANTsweetener.

85. Reja says:

npanciroli: Kadri should easily get 5 games for that cross-check to the face. Insanely dangerous. Marchand can also be removed from the league. While they are at it, remove Tkachuk. League is infinitely better off without rats.

You wouldn’t be singing the same tune if any of these players were battling it out for the Oilers in the playoffs right about now.

86. who says:

Reja: No Gm in the league would pay Lucic 1mil on a 4 year contract really I bet the leafs would have paid him 4 mil for last nights game.

87. Scungilli Slushy says:

Fuhr and Lowething.:
    UFA Gustav Nyquist.

Thoughts?

They can sign anyone they want, but if they don’t start the season as a reasonable org only play driving players will look like they are succeeding.

Most players have to play in a system that suits them to have success in the NHL. And with good line mates or partners.

There are really only a handful of elite players. Reider is an established NHL player that has some good helping skills. The Oilers turned him into a discouraged 0 goal player.

The critical error was coming into the season putting full court press pressure on the GM, coach and players. With a roster full of holes and a question mark as a goalie.

It’s immature and displays a lack of understanding.

The Islanders are the opposite example. They most likely aren’t going to win the Cup, but they still will have had an excellent, positive season. They probably won’t win a Cup anytime soon. Most teams won’t. But playing to the best of what you can do is possible.

Pittsburgh cannot seem to figure out defensemen. They helped change the league, but they are valuing something wrongly or nobody is willing to do a good deal with them that they need. This is where growing your own is so critical. You don’t need help from competitors to get better, or find the guy who has lost his mind and manage to get a deal done.

The Oilers should look to dump salary dead weight that can be filled for less, build around the edges. They are lucky in that they have a core of high end players and very good other players in key roles.

They can also look to maximize what they have like the Islanders did and stop destroying and wasting players. Sometimes the player doesn’t cooperate, but this team is far past that.

Mostly they have to make the team a fun team to play on again – hard working but fun – and let the guys do what they have the ability to do, without feeling like they are facing execution at dawn every morning.

88. flyfish1168 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    A Masters win for the ages. Beautiful.

lol, 2nd time around. Of a different age.

89. Reja says:

who: People who think GMs are going to be lining up for Lucic after an early playoff exit are deluding themselves. But I guess we’ll see.

Not at 6 mil but they sure as spit would be at 1 mil on a 4 year deal.

90. RonnieB says:

With Nicholson not seeking a POHO and planning to return to his position at OEG after he signs a new GM, how do people feel about the new GM reporting to the Senior VP of HO…Craig MacTavish ? That is his title now,and he will become, by default, the top dog on the Hockey Ops side.

91. pts2pndr says:

Jaxon:
    Klefbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Myers
    Sekera/Jones/Lagesson – Benning/Bear/Bouchard/Persson

92. Oil2Oilers says:

RonnieB,

Craig McTavish is the Loni Anderson of Hockey Men; great hair, sounds good but little substance.

Jan Smithers was the thinking man’s totty, in this case Ralph Kruger would do as someone the GM reports too.

93. Bag of Pucks says:

flyfish1168: lol, 2nd time around. Of a different age.

I love a redemption story and nobody on the tour works harder.

Enough left in the tank to still take a run at Jack’s Majors total? I wouldn’t count him out.

94. Reja says:

Not saying it’s going to happen but if Tampa gets bounced 4 straight what now do they stay the course or beef up. If St.louis and Caps make the final and Caps repeat what now it’s a copycat league.

95. Westchester Oil says:

dustrock:
    Canada U-18 warmup today won 6-5 against Belarus.

Newhook with hat trick including OT winner. Krebs with 1+1.Cozens with 3A.

I’m hoping Newhook slips to the 2nd round and the Oilers grab him. I saw him play live and was very impressed.

96. Reja says:

Bag of Pucks: I love a redemption story and nobody on the tour works harder.

Lots of joyful reaction by his co-golfers the prize money for tournaments just skyrocketed with Tiger back.

97. Ryan says:

RonnieB:

Yes. That’s the elephant in the room.

It’s hard to imagine the list of brand-name bonafide GM candidates with the requisite fit for the culture of (Howson, MacT, Lowe, and possibly Kretzky) being very long.

The best way out of this mess would be the Leaf’s strategy or simply package out katz’s friends prior to hiring the next GM.

98. Bulging Twine says:

dustrock:
    Canada U-18 warmup today won 6-5 against Belarus.

Newhook with hat trick including OT winner. Krebs with 1+1.Cozens with 3A.

99. Todd Macallan says:

Bulging Twine: This will be a good tourny to get more info on Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield and others

I believe Zegras was injured recently and may not play unfortunately

100. Bulging Twine says:

Todd Macallan: I believe Zegras was injured recently and may not play unfortunately

ah that is too bad. His scouting reports sound excellent but when I watched some shift by shift highlights I just didn’t see it. Some have him as high as 4

101. Bulging Twine says:

I was thinking that the Blues 2nd line Center would be a liability but it has been the Jets 2nd line center that has been a liability. Hayes was dropped to the 4th line last game. Looked invisible. Wait. What?

102. OriginalPouzar says:

I can simply not get on board with any normal course buyout of Milan Lucic – sure $2.5M cap savings for 2 of the 4 years but $2M of that goes away for the other 2 years essentially leading to no cap savings.

It can’t be an option.

—————————-

SMALL sweetener given we are helping Ottawa with this cap for this year.

103. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:

It can’t be an option.

—————————-

SMALL sweetener given we are helping Ottawa with this cap for this year.

We wouldn’t be able to sign him for another year, in that scenario, I believe?

104. OriginalPouzar says:

With respect, buying out Andrej Sekera is one if the silliest suggestions I have read, in my opinion.

Of course, I think we should keep this guy (he’s about 4th on the disposition list) and, if we are looking at trading him for cap space, given he is far from a boat anchor contract, there should be some value coming back – let alone paying to get rid of him of creating a dead cap hit via a buyout.

He is simply not a buyout option. Not in my mind. Can’t be. Makes the team worse and there is no way the cap space can be used to get a better player than Sekera.

He is not that old and he is going to have a training camp and not be 5 months behind the league with respect to game shape come October.

105. OriginalPouzar says:

J-Bo:

106. OriginalPouzar says:

FUll summer, plus camp, plus not being 5 months behind the league as far as game shape, timing, etc. – MASSIVE.

He may not be 2016 Sekera but he’ll be even more “up to speed” than he was during the stretch drive this past season.

107. OriginalPouzar says:

who:

100% and, personally, I don’t think a sweetener to dispose of the contract (in this case, retention) should be required.

Not to mention, the org needs to see this player this coming fall not months behind the league with no training camp.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

innercitysmytty:
    Paulie,

Paulie,

Paulie,

russ99,

But there’s a third possibility and that’s the Ferrence route.

LTIR is a terrible way to management the cap – highly limiting.

Lucic on LTIR for 4 years would be a terrible result for the Oilers – leading to an inability to improve in the off-season, no banked cap space during the season for mid-season acquisitions, etc.

109. JOFA says:

Bag of Pucks: I love a redemption story and nobody on the tour works harder.

110. Professor Q says:

These NMC Chia handed out like candy to the wrong players (there are other teams who also use them over-frequently) have really put us in a rut, eh?

111. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar:

It can’t be an option.

—————————-

SMALL sweetener given we are helping Ottawa with this cap for this year.

Sam has talent and a perfect storm of off to Europe attributes

He’s stout but isn’t strong on boards or physical

He’s talented but a complimentary scorer

He’s not a strong skater

He’s inconsistent defensively

112. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis: Artwise, I’ve put more than thirty years into aiming at something ineffable. So here I am up to my neck in hockey data…something along the lines of a polar opposite. Jeez.

What a great job and service you and your crew have provided!

Thank you brother, that means a lot.

113. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar:

He is simply not a buyout option.Not in my mind.Can’t be.Makes the team worse and there is no way the cap space can be used to get a better player than Sekera.

114. YKOil says:

Consider me deluded. If Boston knocks out Toronto and Washington knocks out Carolina the fact that Lucic was top-10 in hits will draw some attention. Ferland and Tanev (Winnipeg) will get a LOT of looks but Lucic will get some.

It will require a bad contract coming back and some retained salary (probably $1.5m+) but there is a trade there to be made.

I am hoping for Carolina. They have a bad contract (Scott Darling) they would love to dump and will be looking to play a heavier game – especially if they lose Ferland.

115. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

We don’t.

We do have Faceoffs/60 as that shows who gets more faceoffs and implies who gets more OTF shifts vs various comp.

Here’s what is coming soon:

All metrics and Rels for different shift types. OTF, OZ, NZ, DZ plus all those + 1 FO.

That will be interesting info.

But, you *can’t* break down shift type vs comp levels and here’s why:

We calculate the QoC level per second.

So if players change during a shift then the QoC can also change on a shift.

So, if you have an OTF shift vs Elites and they change for a Gritensity line then how do you categorize that shift? Elite? Grit? You can’t.

Add to that is that it even adds even more slicing and dicing to already small samples.

I’m pretty excited for results vis a vis shift type, but we can’t replicate Tyler’s stuff for the reasons stated above.

Good suggestion though.

I asked G for it too. 🙂

116. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

That was quick
    Do you have GMoney locked in your basement?

That was Sean Solbak, @frozenpools on twitter and Slopitch here at LT’s.

He’s goot.

117. Jordan says:

I feel like you changed the plan halfway through your post today LT. Of you’re going to play Leon LW, and Nige 2C, why line them up differently when you’re establishing what you have?

Leon is more than elite as Connors wingman. The plan should be to keep him there until a better plan presents itself.

The 3C hole is real and spectacular, and what to do about that is a great question. Marody may be the best answer, but to be an answer, we need to identify the question.

I also suggest.that Connolly is significantly overachieving this year compared to his historical norms in the NHL. Other posters have pointed this out over the last month, so I won’t recreate their work, but I believe that any of the internal answers from Bakersfield could be better options.

The caveat on them or any other players being good options is style of play and deployment. A lot of the Condors’ success was in playing a heavy forcheck style that lead to more turnovers and wearing down the opposition d men, that was very effective due to condor dmen being competent or better passers.

The Oilers need a breakout that fits that model to succeed, which means changing how they select dmen or changing how they play them.

If that doesn’t change, there is no hope in bringing up Condors’ players. They will be putting round pegs in square holes and I think will fail.

If they don’t put players in a system they can succeed in it doesn’t matter if they look like good bets. They are all bad bets in the system that doesn’t let them play to their strengths.

118. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I guess I would characterize the part against elites as elites and the gritensity portion as gritensity but make a deprecate category of tired elites. Not sure what’s possible but if you have the measurement for each second than it must be somehow doable.
    Maybe something interesting to look at down the line
    Congrats on the site!!

119. Bag of Pucks says:

JOFA: Brought a tear to my eye. One more to tie Sam Snead for most PGA tour wins. I say one more major and the record for most PGA tour wins makes him the best golfer ever.

Not to mention coming back from major knee surgery then spinal fusion! Tiger is a legit warrior.

120. YKOil says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    OriginalPouzar: I still like Yaremchuck’s original plan with Gagner – trade him to Ottawa with a very small sweetener, Ottawa buys him out to get some cap hit and the Oilers re-sign him for a more appropriate cap hit.

—–

Sam has talent and a perfect storm of off to Europe attributes

He’s stout but isn’t strong on boards or physical. He’s talented but a complimentary scorer. He’s not a strong skater. He’s inconsistent defensively. He can help the Oilers in the right role but he’s essentially Chiasson v2 with a lesser shot.

Sure. Still okay with that.

Buy-out on Gagner costs $1.067m year 1
    Cap hit of $1.017m year 1 and $1.067m year 2

Oilers would have to sweeten that pot given year 1 is no good for Ottawa.

121. ArmchairGM says:

Mike Hoffman might be a reasonably priced cap casualty in Florida.

And Benning for Connor Brown.

Toronto will be looking to dump cap though, and Benning-for-Brown doesn’t help. More likely they’ll take a 3rd rounder for Brown so as to reduce cap by the full $2M he is owed.

122. Reja says:

YKOil: Consider me deluded.If Boston knocks out Toronto and Washington knocks out Carolina the fact that Lucic was top-10 in hits will draw some attention.Ferland and Tanev (Winnipeg) will get a LOT of looks but Lucic will get some.

I am hoping for Carolina.They have a bad contract (Scott Darling) they would love to dump and will be looking to play a heavier game – especially if they lose Ferland.

That’s why Keith or the new GM better be shrewd and ready I predicted months ago that Keith will be the intern GM for one year while they do a extensive search high and low this is possibly the most important offseason in club history they can’t afford anymore fuck-ups.

123. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: The only thing that rivals the Lucic buyout as far as a non-option is a Sekera buyout (even more of a non-option).

Can’t see any Oiler being bought out this spring why would Keith or the new GM do this and have It hanging over his head capwise possibly the whole tenure as GM. They can get out of this mess with assets draft picks taking back a bad contract that works for both teams and timing.

124. Rube Foster says:

Chia Pete! Is that you!?

It’s this sort of thinking that has sunk the Oilers for the last two seasons.
    Milan Lucic is no Garnet Hathaway, and players like Hathaway can be found and had for cheap to play energy minutes on the fourth line.
    Sorry Reja, he may be a proud warrior, but Milan Lucic has been a 5×5 offensive black hole for over two seasons. He is a below replacement lever NHLer at this point in his career. Bringing Lucic back to play for the Oilers next season is the definition of insanity.

125. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:

SMALL sweetener given we are helping Ottawa with this cap for this year.

I dislike the idea of giving up a true asset. If we can do a trade as we did with the leafs Mark Fraser to the Edmonton Oilers for forward Cameron Abney and the rights to restricted free agent Teemu Hartikainen. That would be good. Hartikainen wasn’t going to come back to the Oilers.

Bogdan Yakimov or John Marino, if he isn’t willing to sign, would be in the same sort of situation.

126. YKOil says:

Also,

Have to say. Finland was robbed. That was a bullshit call in every way.

127. Reja says:

Rube Foster: Chia Pete! Is that you!?

It’s this sort of thinking that has sunk the Oilers for the last two seasons.

The best thing for Edmonton and Lucic is trading him this offseason or the year after. To say that 32 GM’s wouldn’t sign Lucic for 1 mil times 4 is just being biased towards the player.

128. YKOil says:

Bwuahahahahahahahaha!!

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

IT’S IN THE WATER!!!!!

129. Woogie63 says:

Trade Russell for a 2nd round Draft pick.

Cap goes up $2.5M

And Oilers are out of Cap hell

130. who says:

Reja: Not at 6 mil but they sure as spit wouldbe at 1 mil on a 4 year deal.

Let’s make you an NHL GM.
    How much, times 4 years, are you willing to pay Lucic without a sweetener coming to you in the deal.

131. Reja says:

who: Actually I think my original quote was ” more than a million “, but that is splitting hairs.
    Let’s make you an NHL GM.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors sitting lots of players tonight.

OriginalPouzar:

It can’t be an option.

—————————-

SMALL sweetener given we are helping Ottawa with this cap for this year.

Ottawa is a cash poor team. They aren’t buying anyone out to get cap hit.

134. who says:

Reja: Will see once the playoffs are done and what the market will pay. The Oilers will definitely be shopping him and at half price and I’m sure he’ll wave to get out of dodge the idea is to get him off the books completely that will take assets and a cap floor team or a 3- way

Well that’s pretty vague.
    Are you saying that if the Oilers retain half of his salary that they would still have to add a sweetener to move him?
    Cause that’s kind of my point.

135. JimmyV1965 says:

Let’s make you an NHL GM.

$2 mill would be my max

136. who says:

JimmyV1965: $2 mill would be my max

I’m thinking 1.5 million max. And that’s mostly for the reputation.
    If you think about it you can pretty much replace Lucic with the reigning AHL heavyweight for 700,000. Cause he’s just not that good at hockey anymore.
    Plus you have to remember you are committing to 4 more years.

137. Georgexs says:

For reference, here’s a list of interesting UFA forwards from CapFriendly.

Interesting = didn’t make that much + had decent production

Player, Age, Salary ($M), PPG, Career PPG (Career GP)

Dzingel, 26, 2.1, .73, .51 (268)
    Connolly, 26, 1.5, .58, .36 (427)
    Ferland, 26, 1.8, .57, .41 (321)
    Pirri, 27, .65, .57, .46 (259)
    Chiasson, 27, .65, .5, .36 (454)
    Donskoi, 26, 1.9, .47, .43 (283)
    Panik, 27, 2.8, .44, .39 (410)
    Agostino, 26, .7, .39, .35 (85)
    Lindberg, 26, 1.8, .37, .31 (252)
    Tanev, 26, 1.15, .36, .26 (195)
    Ennis, 28, .65, .35, .51 (543)

I’ll let y’all spin this as you like…

138. Reja says:

who: Well that’s pretty vague.
    Cause that’s kind of my point.

139. who says:

Reja: I know what I would pay that doesn’t matter it’s what another team is willing to pay and that’s the GM’s job to get the best possible amount in every trade unlike the Hall trade. If Tampa gets bounced in 4 and let’s say the Caps repeat who do think is the role model.

Also, do you really think that Tampa is losing to Columbus because they aren’t big enough? Do you think they are intimidated?
    Looks to me that they are getting outworked and outhustled all over the ice. Do you really think Lucic would turn the series in Tampa’s favor?

140. dustrock says:

Anyone who thinks Andrej Sekera is a difference maker for the Oilers next year is living in a fantasy world.

This team has been so deprived of competent d-men we put anybody resembling same on a pedestal.

Sekera was great and must have been (pre-injury) an all-time great 3v3 OT d-man but 2 major injuries later and $5.5m/year? Come on we need to aim higher.

Both Sekera and Russell need to be offloaded ASAP

141. LMHF#1 says:

Woogie63:
    Trade Russell for a 2nd round Draft pick.

Cap goes up $2.5M

And Oilers are out of Cap hell

Who in hell would give them a 2nd?

Chiarelli isn’t a GM again is he?

142. LMHF#1 says:

Gusev straight to Vegas for the playoffs…beauty move.

On one hand, very impressive GMing in Vegas.

On the other – what a stupid league where an expansion team is among the deepest 2 years in.

143. Réal Goudenyéu says:

who: You know, you seem like a guy with fairly strong opinions. And you seem quite confident in those opinions. Why won’t you answer the question?
    Also,do you really think that Tampa is losing to Columbus because they aren’t big enough? Do you think they are intimidated?

I mean you can talk all the fancies you want but if the players are not executing (ie. not putting in the effort) then it doesn’t matter.

TB is playing their way into the history books. And not in a good way.

144. Pescador says:

Professor Q:

The 10 team LTC for Russell is kind of embarrassing
    Might as well be a full NTC
    Let’s see hmm, how will I ever think of 10 teams that
    A. have no cap space or
    B. have no need/use for me

145. Paulie says:

We need the new coach to play players on merit. TMac and Hitch put Lucic out night after night and he contributed nothing. We don’t need him for deterrence. Nurse, Kass and JJ can handle that. Why not sit him night after night? Make him the 14th-15th forward. Maybe he’ll retire when he sees Brad Malone suiting up for more games then him.

146. jake70 says:

YKOil:
    Also,

Have to say.Finland was robbed.That was a bullshit call in every way.

Nothing ever goes the way of the U.S. in international sports…..they deserved it.

147. OriginalPouzar says:

McLeod scores a goal as Saginaw wins 5-0 to advance.

Won’t be seeing Ryan heading to Bakersfield (or signing his ELC) for a few more weeks.

148. Reja says:

Your saying Lucic would not get picked up for a mil for 4 years Im saying he would I hope our new GM is trying to get the best possible outcome for the team and not just shrugging his shoulders and saying Lucic has zero value and he sucks and I’ll just PB him for the next 4 years. Tampa looks like they’re trying to me maybe Columbus is winning because there heavier on the puck regardless if they get swept the Coach is probably fired and player personal changed.

149. Biggus Dickus says:

YKOil:
    Bwuahahahahahahahaha!!

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

IT’S IN THE WATER!!!!!

Good for him. Was probably my favourite Oiler between Smytty and Connor. The way he left must have been gnawing at him for quite a while. Now if we could just stop doing stupid things.

150. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: Just curious about retaining to get a better return on Russel. Given that Russel was a UFA signing getting the full cap space back is a win. Retaining salary is a loss unless you are getting a very good prospect back.

I think that is the opposite approach.

The actual return on Russell is a non-factor to me and I expect essentially zero return. The priority in a Russell disposition is to get as much as that $4M of cap space as possible and the goal is to get the entirety without sweetening.

151. jtblack says:

WG talks about D men Vampires.

E Karlsson. 4 Assists in series

But he has been on the ice for 6 of VGS’s 7 goals.

#VAMPIRE

152. jtblack says:

Makre that 8 of 9 now 😊

153. Jaxon says:

They should be asking Russell and Sekera for their trade lists ASAP, which is probably as soon as playoffs are done. They probably want to see where teams stand after the Cup before making a decision on their teams. But you have to have their lists and send out feelers as soon as you can so you can put together some deals to dump their salaries. Then you know if you can improve the team by signing a Myers or someone like that. I think it might be smart to keep one as 3LD but I don’t think Russell should be 2RD for another game.

154. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: We wouldn’t be able to sign him for another year, in that scenario, I believe?

Yes we would – Ottawa is buying him out, not us.

155. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: This was exactly the line on sekera one year ago and then he ruptured his achilles tendon. He has lost a step and gets by on his smarts. This works in a thirf pairing role but not so sure it works if he has to play higher up. 5.5 cap hit is a luxury a team with cap problems needing a scoring winger can’t afford. If there is a market for Sekera for a prospect or draft choice comming back the new Gm has to seriously consider it in my opinion.

Trading him for a return is much different than buying him out though, much much different.

156. who says:

Reja: Your saying Lucic would not get picked up for a mil for 4 years Im saying he would I hope our new GM is trying to get the bestpossible outcome for the team and not just shrugging his shoulders and saying Lucic has zero value and he sucks and I’ll just PB him for the next 4 years. Tampa looks like they’re trying to me maybe Columbus is winning because there heavier on the puck regardless if they get swept the Coach is probably fired and player personal changed.

Man, you sure can dance around a question.
    And, you keep misquoting me.

157. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:
    Trade Russell for a 2nd round Draft pick.

Cap goes up $2.5M

And Oilers are out of Cap hell

That would require salary retention, defeating the purpose.

In order to get a clean disposition, we are looking at a 7th rounder, which is just fine.

158. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Condors sitting lots of players tonight.

and they still pull off a win against Stockton to finish the regular season!

159. oilersfan says:

Would like this smart community’s opinion on the oilers going after Luke Glendenning from detroit. A 20 point per season 3/4 th line center who makes 1.8 million for 2 more seasons.

Elite face off man and penalty killer. Right shot center. 29 years old.

What would Detroit want for him? A third rounder? Ethan Bear? Both? Benning? This is a huge need for the oilers and MUST be addressed.

There are no free agent right shot centres available.

If the oilers were only league average on the Pk I wonder if they might have made the playoffs.

160. oilersfan says:

If the oilers could get Glendenning in a trade and sign Pirri and Bellemare I think that would really help their forward depth.

161. SkatinginSand says:

OriginalPouzar: LTIR is a terrible way to management the cap – highly limiting.

The only way that a 4 yr LTIR would work for the Oilers is if they could trade the contract to team struggling to meet the cap minimum. Insurance would cover the contract and the cap hit would get them to the minimum. However, such a move would require a significant sweetener on the part of the Oil.

162. YKOil says:

Pescador: The 10 team LTC for Russell is kind of embarrassing
    Might as well be a full NTC
    Let’s see hmm, how will I ever think of 10 teams that
    A. have no cap space or
    B. have no need/use for me

It is a most baffling contract. On dollars and Cap it is a hard trade to make, adding a NTC is just insanity. Only really trade-friendly in the final year, after the bonus is paid even then.

Chiarelli was, quite possibly, the best GM ever at accepting ALL the risk in a transaction.

The payment is high by $1m (give or take). The term is too long by a year (at least). Oddly enough, I totally get the two NMC’s. I don’t get the 10 and then 15 team NTC’s at all (maybe a 15 team NTC in year 3 and no NTC in year 4). The only redeeming aspect of the contract is the 4th year as the Cap-cash difference rises to $1.5m and the signing bonus allows a team to pick him up for cheap.

Yr 4
    Cash $2.5m with a $1.0m SB
    Cap $4.0m

BUT, the NTC threatens that one, partially redemptive, part of the contract.

Theoretically Russell WANTED to stay in the west. When Maroon wanted to stay in St. Louis that team forced Maroon into a $1.75m contract. Not Chiarelli, he overpaid, for too long, and then pitched rubble over the one escape hatch he did have.

Worst f&*king GM ever. Honestly, it boggles the mind how bad he was.

163. leadfarmer says:

Blue Jackets 2nd round pick from last year Texier after 7 games on NA ice is playing for a deep blue jackets team in the playoffs against the best regular season team and we can’t even get our 4th ov pick from the year before to get regular ice time

164. leadfarmer says:

YKOil,

The more important question now is does the brainTrust see that contract as a mistake

165. Reja says:

who: Man, you sure can dance around a question.
    And, you keep misquoting me.

First Lucic has to waive then judging how certain teams do in the playoffs will affect value Domino effect many factors will go into dumping our cap problem players. If Tampa loses 4 straight do you not think their fan base will be screaming bloody murder and if the Caps repeat teams may value a Lucic.

166. Ryan says:

YKOil: It is a most baffling contract.On dollars and Cap it is a hard trade to make, adding a NTC is just insanity.Only really trade-friendly in the final year, after the bonus is paid even then.

The payment is high by $1m (give or take).The term is too long by a year (at least). Oddly enough, I totally get the two NMC’s.I don’t get the 10 and then 15 team NTC’s at all (maybe a 15 team NTC in year 3 and no NTC in year 4). The only redeeming aspect of the contract is the 4th year as the Cap-cash difference rises to $1.5m and the signing bonus allows a team to pick him up for cheap.

Yr 4
    Cash $2.5m with a $1.0m SB
    Cap $4.0m

BUT, the NTC threatens that one, partially redemptive, part of the contract.

Theoretically Russell WANTED to stay in the west.When Maroon wanted to stay in St. Louis that team forced Maroon into a $1.75m contract.Not Chiarelli, he overpaid, for too long, and then pitched rubble over the one escape hatch he did have.

Worst f&*king GM ever.Honestly, it boggles the mind how bad he was.

167. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson finishes 3rd in the AHL in assists and 8th in points.

He did that as a rookie and a 20 year old rookie.

This is a substantial prospect that was once up for exceptional status in to the WHL.

He may end up just a middle 6 guy but he has a real shot at becoming a legit top 6 player.

Will be real interesting to see how he’s deployed and how he develops over the next few years.

It would be a real boon if 2 of him, Marody, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto could develop in to top 6 guys or at least one top 6 and one middle 6.

McLeod and Maksimov to follow.

168. OriginalPouzar says:

Does Lucic even offer anything material to a team that got pushed around on the playoffs?

He was high on the league hit list but, to my eye, was not a “presence” on the ice or any sport of deterrent.

169. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors with top spot in the Western Conference.

Congrats to Jay W., Dave Manson (and the rest of the staff) and the players.

170. Paulie says:

OriginalPouzar,

He offers leadership, swagger and other priceless intangibles.

171. Buddy says:

OriginalPouzar:

Probably not, but all that matters is that some other GM is still thinking in terms of his previous play and his reputation.

172. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: I think that is the opposite approach.

I’m in agreement. I also agree that using buyouts is throwing good money after bad.

173. who says:

Reja: First Lucic has to waive then judging how certain teams do in the playoffs will affect value Domino effect many factors will go into dumping our cap problem players. If Tampa loses 4 straightdo you not think their fan base will be screaming bloody murder and if the Caps repeat teams may value a Lucic.

No I don’t think so.
    Watching the playoffs this year the thing that strikes me the most is the pace of play. How quickly teams get in on the forecheck, how hard they backtrack on the puck and how fast they transition turnovers into odd man rushes. How would Lucic perform in these kind of games? Do you really think having Lucic in the lineup helps you beat the Capitals, or any team in this years playoffs?
    I’ll ask you one more time. How much would you be willing to pay Lucic, for 4 years, if he was a free agent this summer?
    If you can’t give me an answer, to this simple question, we don’t need to continue this conversation.

174. Bulging Twine says:

suspension coming for Thornton. Headshot.

175. YKOil says:

Ryan: The year 4 signing bonus is a kick in the junk because it makes the contract buyout proof.

True, but no team should build contracts with a buy-out in mind.

EVERY 4-year or shorter contract, offered an UFA, should be built trade-friendly in the last year of the contract, and the last two years if at all possible.

EVERY longer contract should be built trade friendly in the last two years of the contract and as much as half the overall term of the contract if at all possible.

176. Bulging Twine says:

OriginalPouzar: and they still pull off a win against Stockton to finish the regular season!

What an excellent, excellent regular season. We couldn’t ask for more.

177. Glovjuice says:

Yeah, the Sekera buyout suggestions are just weird. He played well.

178. Bulging Twine says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Benson finishes 3rd in the AHL in assists and 8th in points.

He did that as a rookie and a 20 year old rookie.

McLeod and Maksimov to follow.

A guy with that many assists surely has good hockey IQ. If he’s in the NHL next year pair him with another smart player and leave them together to maximize their smarts. Two smart players over time figuring out how to make it work.

179. YKOil says:

Sekera is comparatively easy to trade – to the norm, not to Lucic – imo. A buy-out would be a mistake.

180. Ryan says:

Bulging Twine: A guy with that many assists surely has good hockey IQ.If he’s in the NHL next year pair him with another smart player and leave them together to maximize their smarts.Two smart players over time figuring out how to make it work.

Draisatl?

181. Bulging Twine says:

Ryan: Draisatl?

Benson setting up Draisattl?! That would be a major development if Benson could hang with him.

But don’t give him a one game tryout and if it isn’t instant magic send him to play with a plug on the fourth line. He’s smart. Let him play with the same line (one being a smart skilled player) for an extended period of time and let his brain figure out how to play with that player in the NHL.

182. Bulging Twine says:

Georgexs:
    For reference, here’s a list of interesting UFA forwards from CapFriendly.

Interesting = didn’t make that much + had decent production

Player, Age, Salary ($M), PPG, Career PPG (Career GP)

Dzingel, 26, 2.1, .73, .51 (268)
    Connolly, 26, 1.5, .58, .36 (427)
    Ferland, 26, 1.8, .57, .41 (321)
    Pirri, 27, .65, .57, .46 (259)
    Chiasson, 27, .65, .5, .36 (454)
    Donskoi, 26, 1.9, .47, .43 (283)
    Panik, 27, 2.8, .44, .39 (410)
    Agostino, 26, .7, .39, .35 (85)
    Lindberg, 26, 1.8, .37, .31 (252)
    Tanev, 26, 1.15, .36, .26 (195)
    Ennis, 28, .65, .35, .51 (543)

I’ll let y’all spin this as you like…

Some good players there. That Tanev is a tenacious high energy player. Donskoi and Panik are strong players.

leadfarmer:

Kekelainen knows forwards. He has an incredible record drafting forwards way back to Hossa and Havlat to Oshie, Backes, Perron, Schwartz, and Tarasenko.

184. silasbengtsson says:

oilersfan:
    Further to my last post I think an interesting ufa target to go after other than. Brandon Pirri wouldBe Bellemare from Vegas. Also an excellent penalty killer. 55% face off but is a left winger and defensive specialist. Made 1.45 million last year. Vegas won’t have the space to sign him.

Hard no to Glendening. Another 1.8mil on a 4th liner that struggles to succeed in such minutes beyond this year- a year in which luck smiled upon him. Sub-40 GF%, consistently low-40s shot and chance shares and little-to-no scoring threat just screams Letestu 2.0, but without any PP acumen. Even if he is playing the hardest minutes (which I’m not confident he was), it’s clear we can’t count on him to saw-off.

If we’re gonna pursue 4th liners, we should take a long look at a guy like Copp. He’ll likely be getting a raise and, while that raise won’t be huge, it might be big enough for him to shake loose from the Jets.

He consistently outscores his opposition relative to his team (GF% & relGF%):

2015-16_ 19-11 (63.3%) & +14.2%
    2016-17_ 23-18 (56.1%) & +8.93%
    2017-18_ 40-29 (58.0%) & +3.97%
    2018-19_ 35-19 (64.8%) & +19.0%

Keeps the shot shares close (CF%):

2015-16_ 47.5%
    2016-17_ 48.8%
    2017-18_ 53.6%
    2018-19_ 51.5%

Outchances his opposition (HDCF%):

2015-16_ 53.4%
    2016-17_ 57.1%
    2017-18_ 57.5%
    2018-19_ 54.9%

And converts on that chance differential (HDGF% & On-Ice Sh%):

2015-16_ 14-6 (70.0%) & 8.52%
    2016-17_ 12-6 (66.7%) & 7.42%
    2017-18_ 21-9 (70.0%) & 8.58%
    2018-19_ 22-11 (66.7%) & 9.80%

The sample size has become too big for me to ignore. Perhaps Woodguy could find something in his data that could temper my appreciation for the guy but, even if he’s playing sheltered minutes, he’s managing to kill those minutes in a way our 4th line hasn’t since I’ve been watching hockey attentively. That has value as that’s a goal share that the top-6 doesn’t need to make up for.

185. YKOil says:

oilersfan:
    Would like this smart community’s opinion on the oilers going after Luke Glendenning from detroit. A 20 point per season 3/4 th line centerwho makes 1.8 million for 2 more seasons.

Elite face off man and penalty killer. Right shot center. 29 years old.

There are no free agent right shot centres available.

Glendening would be worth a look.

That said, what made me laugh to myself was wondering if Detroit would trade Neilson and Glendening for Lucic in some sort of package deal. Of course, ‘no’, but it still made me laugh.

Lucic (6.00) and Manning (2.25) = 8.25
    FOR
    Nielsen (5.25), Daley (3.17) and Glendening (1.80) = 10.25

Throw in a draft pick to flavour… I would probably be agreeable all said and done.

Glendening should be legitimately useful, after year 1 the Daley contract drops off, Nielsen is mostly trade friendly starting in 2020-21, the buy-out numbers are better all around, and his contract runs 1 year less than that of Lucic regardless.

Net-Cap
    year 1 = 8.25 – 10.25 = -2.00
    year 2 = 6.00 – _7.05 = -1.05
    year 3 = 6.00 – _5.25 = +0.75
    year 4 = 6.00 – _0.00 = +6.00

It’s the ‘chip’ away at it approach but any step forward is still a step ahead.

Looking at PuckIQ – Daley got CRUSHED while Glendening did not fare well either, however Glendening faced a lot of elite/middle minutes and would not normally be asked to do that for the Oilers.

If buying out Daley: Net-Cap (not a bad scenario really)
    year 1 = 8.25 – 8.75 = -0.50
    year 2 = 6.00 – 7.78 = -1.78
    year 3 = 6.00 – 5.25 = +0.75
    year 4 = 6.00 – 0.00 = +6.00

186. YKOil says:

silasbengtsson,

Copp would be an excellent pick-up. Love him and Lowry and like Tanev (who will be available before Copp).

187. Bulging Twine says:

Boivert loves Krebs. Says if he doesn’t go 3! someone will get a steal

188. Bulging Twine says:

Dach should be in the under 18 tourny now. Can compare he and Krebs and Cozens.

189. v4ance says:

John Shannon @JSportsnet

Todd McLellan heads to LA Monday for his “official” interview with Kings’ brass. This on the heels of the Kings and Oilers finalizing the terms of what portion (if not all) LA will pay on the coach’s final year of his Edmonton contract.

I hope the rebuilding Kings hire McLellan. That way when we thrash LA, it’ll be all the more sweeter …

190. meanashell11 says:

SkatinginSand: The only way that a 4 yr LTIR would work for the Oilers is if they could trade the contract toteam struggling to meet the cap minimum. Insurance would cover the contract and the cap hit would get them to the minimum.However, such a move would require a significant sweetener on the part of the Oil.

I think he retires and we sign him to a 10 year professional scouting contract following the Socal teams! win/win!

191. ArmchairGM says:

Rube Foster: Milan Lucic has been a 5×5 offensive black hole for over two seasons. He is a below replacement lever NHLer at this point in his career.

Your first statement is true, but the 2nd is not. He’s the only regular forward on the roster this year that had a 50 GF% without McDavid. That’s worth something, even if he isn’t scoring.

192. Coiler says:

v4ance,

Doesn’t McLellan also have an interview with Buffalo as well? I’d heard through Friedman’s 31 thoughts podcasts that they have the money to pay him whereas LA doesn’t. It’ll be interesting to see where he lands.

I wish him nothing but the best. I never felt that he was the issue in Edmonton given the roster he had to work with.

193. OriginalPouzar says:

He is no longer in the running for the job in Buffalo.

194. Coiler says:

Wow, that was quick. What happened? Buffalo looking at someone else specifically?