Condors Winners in Playoff Opener

The Bakersfield Condors won a close game (3-2), kept shots against under 25 and rode quality goaltending and William Lagesson’s offense (1-1-2) to a victory over the Colorado Eagles. Game 2 goes tonight.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group.INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Red Wings front office shuffle could impact Oilers’ future.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Potential coaching candidates and why the Oilers don’t need to rush the GM search to get one
  • Lowetide: What would Glen Sather do with these Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Some creative solutions to address the Oilers’ goalie problem
  • Lowetide: The Milan Lucic saga rolls into Year 4 for Oilers with no easy answers
  • Jonathan Willis: Who stays and who goes? An early projection of which players will remain on the Oilers’ roster in 2019-20
  • LowetideHow high can these Condors fly?
  • Lowetide: Ron Hextall’s patient approach as GM would be shock to Oilers’ system
  • Jonathan Willis: Michael Futa’s success at the NHL Draft makes him a credible GM candidate for the Oilers
  • Lowetide: The Oilers possible summer trade pieces, and which longtime players might be saying goodbye.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ten prospects likely to be available when the Oilers make their first-round pick.
  • Jonathan Willis: Bob Nicholson mostly says the right things, but stalls on making changes to the Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The pressure’s squarely on Bob Nicholson to make right GM hire for Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers Report Cards: Few passing grades remain in season full of failure.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers, the republic of Finland and the 2019 draft.
  • Lowetide: The Oilers made a rare move and shopped the QMJHL at the 2018 draft. It could happen again.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers draft early, the WHL is loaded and there’s a lot of history.
  • Lowetide: The Edmonton Oilers and the OHL.

CONDORS WIN

We talked about the importance of the No. 2 line yesterday, last night Malone and company went out and showed exactly what they can deliver at this level.

William Lagesson was the star of the show, but Caleb Jones sweet pass to No. 37 for his goal was gorgeous. Both men are going to be heard from in Edmonton soon. Ethan Bear played a ton and was effective, Logan Day scored a giant goal. Bakersfield’s defense is a key to team success. Shane Starrett played well again.

NHL POSSIBILITIES

This is some great work by Evolving Wild and gives us a chance to build a team with independently built (by math!) free agent numbers. I made some trades (boy did I make some trades), and here’s the roster.

I traded Sekera for Toffoli; Russell, Lucic and Puljujarvi to Florida (with some money retained) for James Reimer, Mark Pysyk and a pick. Then traded Pysyk and the pick for Colin Miller. I’m not so much worried about the ‘fairness’ of these trades as the idea that a general manager could move in three forwards, a defenseman and goalie in one summer. A key to that success would be getting Connolly at $3.2 million. I expect it’ll take more money and that this roster is not possible in one summer.

To complete the transactions: Signed Brett Connolly and Jonas Donskoi in free agency, drafted Peyton Krebs and hired Brent Gretzky as general manager (he’s a cop with the OPP but I promised him he could park anywhere). You’re welcome.

The idea isn’t to make fair trades (boring!) but to see what the team might be able to do if Connolly doesn’t cost $5 million in free agency. I think it’s just a dream, but love the work done by Evolving Wild.

Mitch Brown did great work in breaking down Evan Bouchard’s strengths and weaknessses, and he is back at it with another round of blue. Fantastic.

THE JOURNEY

Last night the Calgary Flames lost to the Colorado Avalanche, a devastating result for a team that has been doing a lot of things right over the last five seasons.

I think it started for them at the 2011 draft. While Edmonton was drafting Nuge, Klefbom and an unsigned Tobias Rieder, the Flames drafted Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Tyler Wotherspoon, Johnny Gaudreau and Laurent Brossoit. They grabbed quality, after about 15 years of wandering in the draft wilderness. Calgary is now an astute judge of draft talent. It takes awhile for that to push up to the top but the Flames are now there.

Edmonton can learn from the Flames, and there are quality prospects pushing up for the northern town. In 2015, Calgary drafted Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington and Andrew Mangiapane. Edmonton chose Connor McDavid, Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear. Those defensemen are close now, William Lagesson too. The new general manager must make room for Jones, then Bear and Lagesson, and find out what they’re about before trading them in my opinion. It’s a dangerous time for the Oilers prospect group. A new GM won’t know about them and didn’t get to see that cherry pass by Jones to Lagesson last night while being general manager of the Edmonton Oilers.

May you live in interesting times has more than one meaning.

97 Responses to "Condors Winners in Playoff Opener"

1. jasontheschoolteacher says:

Brent Gretzky is now involved…lol….can we please mock the Flames for a couple of hours at least Lowetide….you are too nice of a man!!!

2. Todd Macallan says:

Watching that team collapse last night was embarrassingly close to the elation of the Oilers winning a round. Does that make me a bad person?

3. jasontheschoolteacher says:

Todd Macallan,

4. Wilde says:

I’m bumping the playoff games to the front of the line of my tracking, so I have these for y’all

On Ice – Forwards (players are grouped by lines)

[ Player – CF – CA / / +/- ]

Benson – 25 – 16 / / +9
    Marody – 25 – 15 / / +10
    Currie – 22 – 13 / / +9

Gamba – 18 – 12 / / +6
    Malone – 19 – 14 / / +5
    Russell – 18 – 13 / / +5

Polei – 11 – 13 / / -2
    Vesel – 8 – 10 / / -2
    Gust – 13 – 13 / / +0

Hebig – 6 – 3 / / +3
    Espo – 8 – 7 / / +1
    Calla – 7 – 3 / / +4

Defense (same thing; pairs)

Lages – 14 – 19 / / -5
    Jones – 14 – 19 / / -5

Lowe – 23 – 12 / / +11
    Bear – 22 – 12 / / +10

Stanton – 24 – 18 / / +6
    Day – 23 – 15 / / +8

Can see the work that this stacked top-six does night in and night out. It’s not just scoring.

Interested to see where Bouchard comes in.

Logan Day has the lightest duties, that’s probably a good bet.

5. smellyglove says:

I hope you don’t look down on me for this partisan spin, but the Oilers have more playoff game wins than the Calgary Flames since the conclusion of the 2009 season.

6. Woogie63 says:

Fast, physical hockey is a thing in the play-offs

7. Jethro Tull says:

LT for GM!

Ironic that the only way out of our mess is for a bunch of properly developed lower draft picks to arrive and not a slew of higher picks rushed into the league because of lazy and inept roster construction.

Will there be a GM by free agent day? By the draft? By the pre-season?

Wilde: Awesome! I’ll post those as part of tonight’s GDT.

9. jtblack says:

i think Calgary has won 1 round since 2004 run …. 1 round in 14 years.

Edmonton is in the same boat???

poor poor franchise results.

Toronto has 0 series wins in that time. Could all change tomorrow.

10. Wilde says:

Also, while I’m tracking I keep a notepad doc open of timestamps for sequences I want to clip , and it feels like every second note in a game against the Eagles goes into my ‘dirty AHL nonsense’ folder. Grossest team in the conference, no contest. They suck so much.

11. Professor Q says:

jtblack:
    i think Calgary has won 1 round since 2004 run …. 1 round in 14 years.

Edmonton is in the same boat???

poor poor franchise results.

Toronto has 0 series wins in that time. Could all change tomorrow.

And, oh, how they will let us know…

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Can’t believe I’m going to miss game 2. I was so excited to watch – stupid flight cancellation.

13. Jethro Tull says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Can’t believe I’m going to miss game 2.I was so excited to watch – stupid flight cancellation.

Sure is nice to have something to cheer for.

14. Brantford Boy says:

Wow, I had to scroll down pretty far in that spreadsheet to get to our salary cap shopping aisle… the first name that grabbed my attention was Brandon Tanev… he’s got truculence folks…

I like the 4th line LT…

15. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull: Sure is nice to have something to cheer for.

We can cheer for Guelph and Drummondville and Halifax and Saginaw?

16. Professor Q says:

Brantford Boy,

Were not Tanev and Mangiapane the ones who tried to take out McDavid during that one Penticton Rookie Tournament? I think that’s why he only played a game or two. Could have been Jake Virtanen.

17. Bruce McCurdy says:

Professor Q:
    Brantford Boy,

I’ve hated Virtanen ever since & rejoice with every dumb penalty he takes.

18. Brantford Boy says:

Professor Q,

I believe it was Virtanen… but shouldn’t we be bringing in everyone who has taken a run at McDavid (Manning) or fought each other in some capacity (Gagner/Kassian)… perhaps we should make a push for Giordano?

19. Bryan says:

Beiñg a long time Joe Sakic fan I am happy to see his team doing well now. He took a lot of slings and arrows for a few years when he took on the GM role but he looks to have a juggernaut on his hands now.

20. fleafly says:

Hey LT, just my two cents, but I’m finding the new format pretty tough to read. I find the blocks of blue jarring, and all of the bold text comes across as one step below shouting.
    Great content as always though!

21. Todd Macallan says:

Bruce McCurdy: Pretty sure it was Virtanen who took a run at McDavid early in Game 1 of the tournament & cost the good burghers of Penticton their one chance to get a good look at an extraordinary talent.

I’ve hated Virtanen ever since & rejoice with every dumb penalty he takes.

22. Bruce McCurdy says:

Todd Macallan: Agreed on Jake the Snake. I knew I’d always cheer against him after his boneheadedness sewered Canada’s chances at the wjc a few years back

Played for Calgary as a junior, Vancouver as a pro, ran McDavid & played dumb hockey for Canada. Any one of those might get him on the shit list. All 4? Take a hike, son.

23. Oil2Oilers says:

It saddens me that a GM is unlikely to be able to fix all the Oilers problems this summer (much like the last decade)

It gladdens me that the Condors can provide some help. At the start of the year I could see defense matriculating, but now some forward help.

A Benson – Marody – Gagner third line backed by a Khaira – Cave – Kassian 4th would allow the new GM to keep his focus of the top 6.

24. pts2pndr says:

Professor Q:
    Brantford Boy,

It was Virtanen. I still don’t like him.

25. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q: We can cheer for Guelph and Drummondville and Halifax and Saginaw?

Sure!

26. Philosophil says:

Jethro Tull,

I second that motion, and put forward a private members bill- An LT shadow GM portfolio ie The official opposition. this Oilers team needs some scrutiny and accountability in a reasonable forum. all in favour?

27. oilersjo says:

Good morning from Prince Albert. Good game here last night. A 1-0 game can be very exciting especially in a small rink loaded to the rafters. Going to be a good series. Go Raiders

28. geowal says:

Following the condors progress through here from a beach in south Portugal, hope it’s a nice long playoff run and I can watch a game of two online when I return!

And I got to miss all of the “Red Mile!”!

29. Sierra says:

fleafly:
    Great content as always though!

I agree, but it won’t prevent me from stopping by.

30. Glovjuice says:

Sierra: I agree, but it won’t prevent me from stopping by.

Whatever. Fak.

31. fishman says:

I actually like the Blue blocks of text…

32. Ryan says:

Wow, the Jets are going to be in a significant cap crunch this summer.

They had 3.9m in cap space. Add in another 10.7 for Myers and Hayes.

Connor 7.3

Laine 7

Trouba 7 and wants to leave

Taney 3

Chariot 2.9

Broissoit rfa.

Lol Evolving Wild has Chaser at $3.2m

33. doctoreye says:

LT……If you want to talk trade,make it a big one! How about Kassian,Sekera,and our 1OV draft for Conner Brown,and William Nylander?Solves problems for each team.I suspect the Leaf management is still pissed at Nylander over his holdup.

34. BONE207 says:

Philosophil:
    Jethro Tull,

I thought of something like this yesterday. After reading the daily articles by our illustrious leader & the many postings of his followers, I thought of this question.

Is there another blog, forum or dedicated group of people out there who spend so much time writing or thinking about how to improve a professional sports franchise?

Many of you reading this might spend at least a couple of hours a day just on reading & thinking about the Oilers. How many man hours does that come to? How many more hours do some here do on research, math & video scraping. I hope this sometimes inept franchise learns from the many here as to what it takes to build a successful business.

35. pts2pndr says:

doctoreye:

Are you trying to help Edmonton or build Toronto.

36. pts2pndr says:

LT
    I did some research on your Oilers mock draft. I was impressed with your picks. Thanks for all you do!

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

doctoreye:

38. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Wilde:

On Ice – Forwards (players are grouped by lines)

[ Player – CF – CA / / +/- ]

Benson – 25 – 16 / / +9
    Marody – 25 – 15 / / +10
    Currie – 22 – 13 / / +9

Gamba – 18 – 12 / / +6
    Malone – 19 – 14 / / +5
    Russell – 18 – 13 / / +5

Polei – 11 – 13 / / -2
    Vesel – 8 – 10 / / -2
    Gust – 13 – 13 / / +0

Hebig – 6 – 3 / / +3
    Espo – 8 – 7 / / +1
    Calla – 7 – 3 / / +4

Defense (same thing; pairs)

Lages – 14 – 19 / / -5
    Jones – 14 – 19 / / -5

Lowe – 23 – 12 / / +11
    Bear – 22 – 12 / / +10

Stanton – 24 – 18 / / +6
    Day– 23 – 15 / / +8

Interested to see where Bouchard comes in.

Logan Day has the lightest duties, that’s probably a good bet.

Nice work!

I thought they might move Day to forward to bring in Bouch. I thought Vessel would be moved out, but if he is playing C, not sure who comes out? My impression of the roster is that Espo and Vessel are the weak links or maybe Hebig, being the least experienced comes out.

What happened to Hebig anyway? His offense has been basically non-existent after the first 25 games or so when he was killing it. I am surprised he didn’t get sent to Witchita.

Also, where is Maksimov?

39. Georgexs says:

“The idea isn’t to make fair trades (boring!) but to see what the team might be able to do if Connolly doesn’t cost $5 million in free agency. I think it’s just a dream…”

If the new GM signs Connolly to anywhere near that number and also gives him term, then we’ll know the new GM makes his decisions using something other than arithmetic. Which means the new GM will be like the old GM… possibly with more avails to keep Jonesy and Matty and Specs well-supplied and happy.

Connolly was a first round bust for TBL. BOS, I think, didn’t make a qualifying offer. WSH took a flyer on him because of cap issues. They re-signed him to a 2-year, low $ contract when he managed to get 23 points in his first year. He’s scored 46 in the current season, his contract year, the first time he’s broken the 30 point barrier in his career. He turns 27 this summer.

There aren’t many forwards with a similar career arc so not much to use to project his future. You can then fall back to general principles. Players decline with age. Forwards joining new teams over the summer are likely to underperfrom. Forwards who consistently produce lower in the lineup are unlikely to consistently produce to the level of expectations that exist higher in the lineup.

Backlund is an example of a late bloomer, also breaking through the 40 point barrier for the first time at 26. In his case, his drafting team stuck with him, and I’m guessing he benefited from playing for an org. that was committed to him.

Strome never had that kind of commitment from us. In his one full season with our team, he scored 34 points, which, as I’ve recently found out, is very close to what you should expect from a forward playing in the top 6. Despite that, Strome was viewed as a disappointment, by management and by the fan base. He was traded for Eberle and expected to replace Eberle. Godot called him a “nothing burger.”

Connolly with a high $, multi-year term contract, playing wing with RNH and Donskoi would be right up against it. Despite securing his financial future, he would be playing under very difficult working conditions, very different from the favorable situation he now has in WSH. This town, wounded and restless for long gone glory days, turns right quick on players who fall anywhere short of hero.

In free agency, you pay $5M for a forward you think is pretty close to a sure thing. CGY paid $5.75 to Neal and healthy scratched him for their final playoff game. We paid $6M for Lucic and are twisting up in fantastical knots trying to find a way to move his unmovable contract.

40. Westchester Oil says:

Todd Macallan:

No, that makes you a true Oilers fan. Only a true Oilers fan has the Flames as their 31st (soon to be 32nd) favourite team.

41. Alpine says:

The projected roster I’ve had in my head the last month looks a lot like what you posted today, LT. I’ve been advocating for Lucic to FLA for Reimer for a while now. A two birds, one stone sort of trade.

I’d hope to not move Puljujarvi as a trade sweetener. I’d move one of the young G prospects not named Starrett instead. Makes sense if we’re trading for a goalie anyways.

42. OilersDynasty says:

What do you guys think of taking a flyer on a guy like Riley Barber? Strong play in the AHL for years, just couldn’t crack Washington’s lineup. Group 6 FA this summer, likely can sign him to a cheap contract.

43. Jethro Tull says:

Just put the turkey in brine for tomorrow. Gobble gobble.

44. RonnieB says:

Georgexs: Free agency is risky. I think the better way is to take flyers. On Chiassons that you sign for $650K and who end up scoring as many goals this year as Connolly. (It’s interesting that no one’s talking about bringing Chiasson back.) Or on struggling first rounders like Connolly used to be, guys who haven’t found their way who, at one time, showed promise and scoring skill. Get them when they’re down to their last hand. They’re still likely to lose but, at that point, there’s not a lot to lose. And, if by some unknown somehow they hit, you get points cheap, like we did with Chiasson.

45. Bling says:

Benson and Marody have had excellent AHL seasons and should be given an opportunity on the third line with a good veteran player. Gagner *might* be that guy, but if an upgrade is possible — i.e. someone with better 2-way acumen and a better history of 5v5 scoring — I would prefer it.

Lucic is never playing another game for the Oilers, which in and of itself should upgrade the team.

The top 6 needs two more wingers.

I think the real goal should be one of Hall or Ehlers. Hall is a better player but Ehlers is a better cap hit. The latter is coming off a bit of a down year, so if there is a time to buy on him it’s right now. 8th overall draft pick, second rounder, Bear (I keep Lagesson/Jones/Bouchard), Russell, Puljujarvi, and Yamamoto are your pieces.

I trade Benning for your second top 6 winger. I like him a lot, but RHD are at a premium and I don’t trust him to stay healthy for much longer. Better to trade him now while he still has value.

Also: keep Kassian. I was down on him earlier in the year, but having a guy who can slide up the lineup the way he does is a nice option to have come playoff time.

46. jtblack says:

Connolly signing would worry me.

he has averaged 25 points for the 3 seasons prior to this one. This year he got 46 points, which is decent for sure. Just worried we over pay for someone who isn’t truly a top 6 player?????

47. Bulging Twine says:

Maoriduvpoojt: Nice work!

I thought they might move Day to forward to bring in Bouch.I thought Vessel would be moved out, but if he is playing C, not sure who comes out?My impression of the roster is that Espo and Vessel are the weak links or maybe Hebig, being the least experienced comes out.

What happened to Hebig anyway?His offense has been basically non-existent after the first 25 games or so when he was killing it.I am surprised he didn’t get sent to Witchita.

Also, where is Maksimov?

Later he was demoted to the third or 4th line.
    Apparently last night he didn’t get a lot of ice time late in the third.

48. Alpine says:

jtblack,

3 mil isn’t much for a middle six guy. You can pay one third liner 3 mil and penny pinch on the other 2 and save money that way. You’re probably gonna have to spend three mil on one of them to give yourself a good third line.

This is Connolly’s third year in a row with at least 15 goals, so just based on goals scored, he’s a fringe top six guy on merit. His SH% is very high over the last three years so it’s hard to say if he’s been riding a three year heater or if he may become one of those rare high accuracy shooters.

49. jtblack says:

Alpine:
    jtblack,

fair enough. I guess around $3 mil, it makes sense. But he had 22 Goals, I just wonder if he’s going to command closer to $5 mil per??

He seems to have always been a goal scorer since junior. More goals than assists is his MO ..

he certainly would be a good add to Top 9

50. Bulging Twine says:

Giving Benson and Marody a Toffoli type is setting them up to succeed.

It mirrors what they have now at the AHL level and it has worked extremely well.

Marody is the puck carrier. Benson is the set up man. And Currie is the shooter. Currie has 27 goals and only 14 assists.
    Marody controls it. Finds Benson. Currie finds an open shooting space. Benson to Currie – goal.

If we can get Benson a puck carrier (if Marody’s skating isn’t up to snuff next season) and a shooter. Bob’s your uncle.

Puck carriers on current team:
    The Nuge
    McDavid (too high up the line up perhaps)
    Draisattl (same)
    Khaira – to a lesser extent
    Puljujarvi

Shooters on current roster:
    Draisattl
    Chiasson
    McDavid
    The Nuge

*We could use some more FW’s with ++ shots!

51. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Bulging Twine: I believe he started the season on the top line with Marody and Benson. He was also on the power play. He has a good shot. Scored 5 power play goals.
    Later he was demoted to the third or 4th line.
    Apparently last night he didn’t get a lot of ice time late in the third.

Thanks BT,

I know he started with TB & CM, just wonder why he wasn’t sent down when he failed to produce after his heater.

I don’t remember specifics, but I thought he was around 20 pts in his first 25 games. So he ended up with about 10 pts in his last 40, that’s quite a drop-off….

52. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Any word on Maksimov?

53. Alpine says:

jtblack,

I’ve done the comparables on Connolly, and basically guys who hover above or below 40 points don’t get much more than 4 mil for 3 or 4 years. Hell, David Perron had 66 pts in 70 games last year, and signed for 4 years x 4 mil per.

54. Bulging Twine says:

Rocco Grimaldi scores.
    He can scoot.
    Having a good playoff 3rd goal in 4 games

55. Ryan says:

Sorry posted in the old thread.

Ryan:
    From Matheson:

There’s a GM job open in Edmonton and in Seattle. Darren Dreger of TSN says Holland has taken himself out of contention but other sources say he’s still in the picture.

56. Bulging Twine says:

Good article on Rob Schremp’s battle with depression:

57. Glovjuice says:

Jethro Tull:
    Just put the turkey in brine for tomorrow. Gobble gobble.

Yuk, brining turkeys is wrong. It’s groupthink.

58. Jethro Tull says:

Glovjuice: Yuk, brining turkeys is wrong. It’s groupthink.

Wow. Such salt. You must brine things just by touching them.

Spending 30 grand on a stereo and thinking you xan tell tge difference is groupthink.

(I will defend brining unto the death!)

59. Georgexs says:

RonnieB: Perhaps there is a clue on why nobody has Chiasson returning when EW Projection has him getting virtually the same contract as Connolly ( 3 years @ $3.2 ).

I matched the projections together with this year’s salary cap data off of hockey reference. I only looked at players who were projected to earn $1M or more.

Some notes:

1. On average, EW’s model was biased. Teams paid more for free agents than projected.

2. On average, teams paid $416K more for forwards and $222K more for defensemen. Apparently, it’s easier to project salaries for defensemen than forwards.

3. The best UFA forward signing by $/Point was Chiasson. He cost $17K per point. Derek Ryan scored the same number of points and, for his $3.125M cap hit, cost CGY $82K per point. I don’t know if 3rd liners should cost $82K per point. I haven’t worked that out.

4. The worst UFA forward signing was Neal. He cost $302K per point. Don’t think I have to work that out. Apparently, CGY decided to learn from us on that signing. 4 more years at $5.75 for a player they healthy scratched for their last playoff game of the season. The moral of the story is that you’re just asking for trouble when you fill up an older UFA’s plate.

5. Some players the model projects either retire or don’t earn a contract from the NHL.

EW used LightGBM and support vector machines for his projections. Presumably, he knows how to follow the machine learning script. The bias seems high. The model seems to (naturally) perform better with cheaper cap hits; there seems to be some kind of natural wage progression for non-star players. And then teams seem to lose their minds for scoring… paying for goals that have already been scored.

I don’t know if a team will pay over $3M for Chiasson. I sure as heck hope we don’t. I think teams have been favoring internal options recently. Relying on their cheap, young players. Probably paying for the sins of past cap folly. But it’s also good business to develop and promote from within.

Chiasson would be one of our internal options. If he enjoyed his time here, ask him if he would consider giving our team the right to match whatever offer he gets. And if he gets his $3M+, wish him all the best. And if he doesn’t get an offer, which, given he produced a lot of his offense with CMD on the ice, is very likely, offer him 2 years and around $1.5, which would be the biggest contract he’s signed in his career.

60. stephen sheps says:

Glovjuice: Yuk, brining turkeys is wrong. It’s groupthink.

You spend much time working in kitchens or cooking at home, Glov?

I can assure you from a decade of slugging it out in kitchens before I got my fancy education that brining birds is a real good idea. I don’t always do it, but it really is a good technique, especially if I’m using my smoker.

Also – Groupthink? Am I missing some sort of inside joke here? If not, it doesn’t really seem like your best or most creative burn. I’ve come to expect much better from you.

61. RonnieB says:

Georgexs,

Thank you for all the work, and i agree with your 2 x $1.5 offer on Chiasson.

62. Ryan says:

Georgexs,

Would it be fair to assume that your day job involves some combination of data science, statistics, computer science/engineering, and math?

Or maybe you’re just one of those really smart lawyers who’s bored with his day job?

The problem with EW, or projecting a UFA like Connolly, is that the Vegas inflation will be a factor again this summer.

64. Reja says:

If Keith free’s up some cap room gets a solid backup and adds a few wingers that don’t have stone hands and that can go to the hard areas were instantly a playoff team. How would you like to be Calgary this morning after getting dismantled by the Avs. Vegas are Nashville will beat the AVS if I was betting they are not running the table they just beat a sissy team and I’m loving it.

65. Jethro Tull says:

stephen sheps: You spend much time working in kitchens or cooking at home, Glov?

I know right? Glov’s burns are usually more nuclear than Mr.

I find brining great because I can produce a great bird for minimal effort on the day letting me visit and drink some good beer and listen to some of Glov’s music!

66. Alpine says:

I am definitely confused about some of the EW projections. Kevin Hayes getting 8×8 and Matt Duchene getting 6×6.9?

I have to think EW mixed those two up.

I also can’t see Eberle getting more than James Neal did, even despite his playoff heroics this year. He’s really gonna get 7 years x 6 mil after a down year?

I’m curious about Dzingel and Panik both getting the same contract. And I’m curious how Ferland and Nelson only get 4×4.5. Maroon being in the same territory as the previous two is odd, to say the least.

The methodology of determining who gets overpaid and who doesn’t seems seems kind of arbitrary. Though I suppose the actual model is much more scientific than my eyeball/comparables method. Some of the model’s outputs just gave me a chuckle.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t know about trading Russell and Lucic in the same deal and I don’t know about disposing of both Russell and Sekera in the same off-season. The first seems like a pipe dream and the second just a bit out there (even with Pysk coming back).

Now, disposing of Russell and trading for Colin Miller – i think that is something that can be accomplished.

———————-

I don’t see Brentt Connolly coming in that cheaply and, unless LT is more right than I think and more cap space is opened up, I think the Oilers still need to play in the Brandon Pirri, Richard Panik, Daniell Carr snack bracket for one more off-season.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

So, because of the business class, the airline has put us up at the Sheraton (near Disneyland Tokyo). Its a fairly nice hotel and I was pretty excited to hit the gym here as I haven’t had access to any sort of gym since we left Kyoto and have been doing make-shift workouts.

Anyways, it has a 24 hour fitness facility but zero weights, like none, zero – not even a machine. Just cardio machines. Blah.

My biggest concern about the 23 hour delay (arriving in Calgary Sunday morning as opposed to Saturday morning), besides missing the Condors game in a few hours, was another day delayed getting back to my food schedule and my gym.

I was so excited for my normal 2am workout this morning (Sun morning) that has been delayed until Monday at 2am. This was mitigated in my mind by getting a real hotel with at least a crappy gym. As it turns out, its a non-gym.

I know this has nothing to do with anything but, whatever, I can vent it out.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: We can cheer for Guelph and Drummondville and Halifax and Saginaw?

Yup, I’m watching closely.

Rodrigue was back in the lineup for Drummondville last game after missing what feels like 6 plus weeks with that groin injury. He didn’t play but he must be getting close. Hopefully he gets the net soon.

Lots of talk a few days ago about sending McLeod back to junior next season as an overager – something that I am 100% against. On the other hand, doing so with Safin may be something to contemplate given how he missed a good 3/4 of this season with injury and has been very shy on production in his return.

70. YKOil says:

Georgexs:

My contract offer to Chiasson has not changed since I fixed my mind on it

$1.65m/yr for 4 years … I forget the exact breakdown but it goes something like this:

yr 1 .. 1.65 Cap .. 2.20 Cash .. 1.50 sb .. NMC/NTC
    yr 2 .. 1.65 Cap .. 1.95 Cash .. 1.00 sb .. NMC/NTC (NMC does not cover expansion draft)
    yr 3 .. 1.65 Cap .. 1.35 Cash .. 0.50 sb .. NTC a ‘no’ to 8 teams, activates near trade deadline
    yr 4 .. 1.65 Cap .. 1.10 Cash .. 0.50 sb .. –

Basically, the selling point for him is term, signing bonus money, a team that he knows already, and a family friendly set-up until just before the trade deadline in year 3 (with an expansion draft doughnut).

For the Oilers, a moderate expense on a 12-20 goal man who plays a veteran game and 2 line PP and a trade-friendly contract in the last two years.

If a team wants to give him $2.5-3.0m+ a year… have at him. Thank-you for your service.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: As an aisde: There is only one “1OV” draft pick & for the sixth time in the last ten years, the Oilers don’t have it.

Yup, that is one that always pops out to me. Our 1st round pick is often referred to as 1st overall which its not (generally) – the intent is clear though – just a drafting nit.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

Maoriduvpoojt: Nice work!

Also, where is Maksimov?

For the season, Hebig performed somewhat in line with reasonable expectations.

His hot start was essentially a PP heater that was not sustainable and really way ahead of expectations. Hebig should have a nice few years in the AHL and may end up getting a contract and having a career in Europe, however, he isn’t really an NHL option. He is not near the level of a Benson as far as a prospect.

Lets not forget, his big season in junior last year was as an over-ager where a 20 year old is supposed to dominate. Yes, he missed lots of development time with injury, similar to Benson, however, he isn’t in the same tier of prospect as Benson, and not even in the few tiers just under.

Hebig will be a nice pro but isn’t a real NHL prospect.

———————-

Maksimov has not been assigned to the Condors at this point. My guess is do to them having so many forwards. I would have though they’d assign him – might as well have him travel with the team and learn a bit about being a pro. Not a huge deal though as we know he’ll be assigned to the Condors at some point during camp next year.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

OilersDynasty:

I like Daniel Carr but can’t profess to know much about Barber beyond stats.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

Run far far away from that.

Max 2 years. Max $1.5M.

For The Athletic: Making the call on the Oilers’ RFAs with a new general manager on the way

OriginalPouzar:

Anyways, it has a 24 hour fitness facility but zero weights, like none, zero – not even a machine.Just cardio machines.Blah.

I was so excited for my normal 2am workout this morning (Sun morning) that has been delayed until Monday at 2am.This was mitigated in my mind by getting a real hotel with at least a crappy gym.As it turns out, its a non-gym.

I know this has nothing to do with anything but, whatever, I can vent it out.

OP’s Japanese Vacation (How OP learned to love burpees!)

YKOil: My contract offer to Chiasson has not changed since I fixed my mind on it

yr 1 .. 1.65 Cap .. 2.20 Cash .. 1.50 sb .. NMC/NTC
    yr 4 .. 1.65 Cap .. 1.10 Cash .. 0.50 sb .. –

If a team wants to give him $2.5-3.0m+ a year… have at him.Thank-you for your service.

No way one should give 4 years to Chiasson.

He is not even a very useful player. He is a 4th line player. So one wants low dollar and low term, so he can be pushed out without consequence when a young player steals his job.

78. Westchester Oil says:

Georgexs: It’s hard to know what to make of EW’s projections without knowing how he’s (assuming he) done in the past. I pulled EW’s projections from last year:

Some notes:

Someone will pay Chiasson. And by ‘pay’, I mean overpay based on a career year that’s unlikely to be duplicated. If it’s us doing the overpay (anything more than 2 x 1.25 IMHO), I’ll be disappointed. Not trading Chiasson at the deadline when we had less than a 5% chance of making the playoffs was poor asset management. (On a related note, how did we end up more than 10 points out of the playoffs and have only 6 draft picks going into the draft).

79. Westchester Oil says:

OriginalPouzar:

I know this has nothing to do with anything but, whatever, I can vent it out.

80. doctoreye says:

OriginalPouzar,
    I was talking about our 1st rounder no8….not THE of 1st….SORRY
    I

81. Scungilli Slushy says:

Bling:

The top 6 needs two more wingers.

If they manage to trade Lucic they need to keep Kassian or they’ll do something stupid again looking for another policeman as someone mentioned a while back.

82. Scungilli Slushy says:

yr 1 .. 1.65 Cap .. 2.20 Cash .. 1.50 sb .. NMC/NTC
    yr 4 .. 1.65 Cap .. 1.10 Cash .. 0.50 sb .. –

Most players are complimentary, there are very few play drivers, and even fewer that play 200 ft.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Listening to Bruce and David’s Condor’s podcast while I kill this makeshift workout and Staples mentioned something interesting.

Starrett let in a terrible goal for the game to be tied at two and he noticed zero lag in the team and commented on how he “expected” to see them lag and the Eagles to carry the play after the goal.

my question is if such a lag is normal or is it something we just come to expect from watching it year over year, game after game and period after period from the Oilers.

Consistently, the Oil can be playing great, even dominating, and, once a goal goes in against, especially a weak goal, they lose all momentum and the game changes.

It sounds like we’ve come to expect that.

Now it’s clear the game of hockey is a game of momentum swings but maybe for most teams not to the extent we are used to from the Oilers?

84. Georgexs says:

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Rodrigue dressed again this morning but not playing.

86. pts2pndr says:

Georgexs:

We just don’t want to repeat the Russel error. Payed way too much given the no trade no movement clause and term. This does not mean Russel doesn’t have value, it means we payed fillet prices for sirloin.

Georgexs: What’s the Vegas inflation? Does it have something to do with Vegas? CapFriendly has them already over the cap for next season with just 17 contracts. They can’t be buyers, right? They defined themselves pretty quickly. Their average age is 28.

It’s possible that the money siphoned from the overall cap results in little or no money being spent in the cities that benefited, Ottawa for instance is unlikely to spend a bunch beyond getting to the floor (they have $34 million in space according to Cap Friendly). Maybe the Flyers don’t spend a lot of their $31 million in space, or San Jose’s $21 million. NJD have $32 million.

Plus we have the matter of a poor UFA crop after Panarin, Duchene, Pavelski, Skinner. We’ll see.

88. pts2pndr says:

Scungilli Slushy: Only elite players should get movement clauses. Piss on them if they don’t like it. Most of those contracts end up crippling. Few players keep their scoring up every season, most have a couple of decent years and a lot of meh.

This is where the POHO should step in! It should be the one part of any offer that has to be approved by higher up. If you don’t it cripples both the team and any new manager comming in.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Westchester Oil: First world problems, my friend. (From someone who also travels a lot and is fortunate to frequently travel business class).

For sure – at the same time, I live In the first world and can express my feelings with first world problems. Discussing the Oilers and emotions towards them – also first world problems.

I acknowledge and often express my gratitude with the privilege I have.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

All signed up for my AHL TV playoff pack and should get the full first period until the shuttle back to the airport to try again to get home.

Only 23 hours behind schedule.

Go Condors!

gdt is up.

92. Drew says:

Glovjuice,

Hey sticky fingers this is very weak, try again.

93. Glovjuice says:

Never in a commercial kitchen but lots at home (but have worked in food research and development and food safety my entire career). Did up a pork hock stock today for my pork gravy tomorrow to go with ham and my ham “stuffing”. Brined bird is fine on a smoker bit not oven at all in my opinion (takes the richness out of the meat). JT- hardly anyone has a $30,000 k two channel stereo – not groupthink at all.

94. Drew says:

Glovjuice,

i’ve worked with a number of chefs, birds and brine work well together.

95. pts2pndr says:

Drew:
    Glovjuice,

i’ve worked with a number of chefs, birds and brine work well together.

96. Drew says:

pts2pndr: Breast meat stays tender and moist. Turkey browns better and no need for basting. Would never do another turkey without brining. A lot like cranberry sauce from scratch or the can. Both are well worth the time spent.

a chef i know would do a dozen birds a night. the results were the customers liked the brined birds better. moist and more flavour, i guess is group think 🤔 lol

97. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Anyone else notice Jamie Drysdale, #6 on D for Canada? I caught a glimpse or two of him against Finland and his skating was incredible. Had a look into his resume which is no less impressive. Don’t think he played the last game, hope he suits up tonight against Belarus so I can watch more closely. 2020 draft eligible RHD worth keeping an eye on.