Game 2 Pacific Division Semis: Condors at Eagles

Caleb Jones is an NHL player, he just needs to find a spot in the lineup. The quality he showed last night on the pass to Lagesson for the goal was outstanding. The Edmonton Oilers ‘to-do’ list runs to hell and back, but they’ve got themselves a player in Caleb Jones. Now. Do it again.

This may not end well, the new general manager has several young contributors who he might sign, or trade, depending on how he wants the club to look this fall. Lots of easy decisions may become difficult when the organization chooses a new direction/style.

CONDORS LINEUP

Wilde is a good soul, you can follow him here and here. He offered to share his work for our group (and then did so in the comments section). Here are last night’s Corsi events by player (broken down by line).

The Malone line carried the mail, with Jones and Lagesson showing up on the scoresheet, in Game 1. The rookies (Benson, Marody, Vesel, Hebig) are likely to have more impact offensively as the series wears along. These are ridiculously good numbers, hard to find a negative.

One of the real concerns the Oilers may be facing now is the job of general manager has lots of strings, or appears to from afar. I do like the names we’re hearing as candidates, but lord help the Oilers if these men say no thanks.

73 Responses to "Game 2 Pacific Division Semis: Condors at Eagles"

1. spiggy says:

Is there anywhere to stream these games? Please and thanks.

AHL.TV it’s about $25.

3. Scungilli Slushy says:

I suppose what we are seeing in the GM hunt is a reflection of what Katz values and how bad he wants to win.

It seems serious harm to the brand he been done. As a former retail mogul his alarm bells should be deafening and it should be defcon 5 (or whatever) all hands on deck.

This is the point where those that don’t adapt begin a slide into irrelevance and often bankruptcy.

If nobody wants to lead a team with Connor and Leon heading into prime, 3 solid D, 2 on value deals , and a pipeline of good D prospects and others, it is seen as a banana republic by others.

My boundless hope that starts each summer is being challenged.

At least the Condors rock!

4. OriginalPouzar says:

AHL TV is great. The steams are always flawless and Ryan Holt does a great job on the play by play.

Great value for money for the regular season and I’ve got my playoff subscription in hand.

Will only be able to watch the first period this morning but can’t wait.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Haven’t been able to find any lineup updates but I assume no changes from yesterday.

6. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: For sure – at the same time, I live In the first world and can express my feelings with first world problems.Discussing the Oilers and emotions towards them – also first world problems.

I acknowledge and often express my gratitude with the privilege I have.

Okay, i’ve got a good one.

I’m at the W in South Beach trying to get a pre beach day workout in at around 8 am (yeah that’s an ‘8’ not a ‘3’ as most humans need to sleep).

So I’m in the middle of doing some dumbbell presses (80 lb dumbbells if it adds to the story, I’m not a monster at the gym) and this couple walks in together…

The guy is a fit guy in his early 20’s who as i’ll later explain comes across as a cover model for Men’s Health wannabe and his Instagram girlfriend—short, skinny waist, large buttocks implants.

So in the middle of my set, he takes off his shirt and grabs some dumbbells then starts doing some curls. His girlfriend goes to the corner of the room, takes out her phone and starts video taping him only I’m like right behind him on the camera angle.

I jump up because the last thing in the world I want is to be a middle aged guy working out in the background of some video that goes viral on Instagram.

I put the weights back and go over to the cardio section and jump on an elliptical thinking they’ll be done in a few minutes.

Half an hour later, the camera is still rolling and I leave to join my wife for breakfast.

7. RonnieB says:

It’s hard to give therinkrat much credibility about what the scouts wanted when he states that Ryan Murray was the RHD the Oilers needed to draft back then. Murray shoots left and is a LHD. He might be the 3rd worst bust ( Yak and Reinhart ) from that year’s top 10. ( He has also missed 160 out of 480 career games and is currently back on IR ).

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Confirmed same lineup for game 2.

9. BONE207 says:

Ryan: Okay, i’ve got a good one.

So I’m in the middle of doing some dumbbell presses (80 lb dumbbells if it adds to the story, I’m not a monster at the gym)and this couple walks in together…

Sooooo.middle aged guy. That’s 80 lbs. total, right?

Asking for my middle aged inside voice who says who needs dumbells that big..😁

10. BONE207 says:

Ryan,

By the way Ryan…you’re low on oil.

11. jtblack says:

AHL.TV it’s about $25.

as my Scottish Father would say:
    “Who has that kind of money?”

Was getting a new pair of basketball shoes in the late 80’s The ones I liked were $100. My Dad was pacing outside the store; muttering to himself “That’s $50 PER SHOE” “That’s $50 PER SHOE”

12. jtblack says:

Has Bouchard played or is tonight the debut?

13. Westchester Oil says:

Jets don’t deserve to win. Shots are 28-6 for the Blues early in the 3rd.

Ehlers looking hurt. Hasn’t played much.

Friedman says Mark Hunter had a 2nd interview with the Oilers.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Eagles open up the scoring a few minutes in off an offensive zone faceoff win – i believe it was the first shot on Starrett.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan: Okay, i’ve got a good one.

I jump up because the last thing in the world I want is to be a middle aged guyworking out in the background of some video that goes viral on Instagram.

That’s pretty funny. What type of gym was this? Was it a outdoor beach gym?

16. OriginalPouzar says:

BONE207: Sooooo.middle aged guy. That’s 80 lbs. total, right?

Asking for my middle aged inside voice who says who needs dumbells that big..

Rarely do I ever see a gym with dumbells over 110, however, the gym I worked out in in Kyoto had dumbells that went up to 220 pounds – yes, 220 pounds. What the eff are those for? Only thing I can think of is shrugs by giants (like the Rock). Maybe some sort of deadlift type variation.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors likely to finish off a successful PK – two failed clears and the guys could barely move and the Eagles, while they moved the puck well, didn’t get a great look at the net.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors scrambling – sloppy with passes.

They were carrying possession early but that early goal that squeaked in and PP has given the Eagles the momentum.

No worries, they’ll find their game and timing.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    Has Bouchard played or is tonight the debut?

Same lineup as last game.

Never figured he’d be an option tonight.

Maybe, just maybe for game 3, in particular if they lose.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Elliot Friedman reporting that Hunter has received a second interview with the Oilers.

Not my top choice, that’s for sure.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Logan Day showing why he’s still so far from even a NHL thought – bad defensive zone giveaway that could have been very dangerous. All d-men make these gaffs but they are still a large part of Day’s game.

22. Professor Q says:

“Oh, hi Mark.”

Am I doing it right, like the kids would say?

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov with an assist on a PP goal to give Guelph the lead with 6 min to go but Saginaw ties it up late.

Guelph and Saginaw tied at 3 with a minute left.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Man Lagesson is fun to watch – great job defending the blueline on a 2 on 2 – no backing in.

25. defmn says:

Darren Dreger
    ‏Verified account @DarrenDreger
    24m24 minutes ago

Oilers boss, Bob Nicholson into 2nd interviews with GM candidates. Belief is, he may do a 3rd with top guys and is hoping to hire his man around May 1.

Elliotte Friedman
    ‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
    25m25 minutes ago

OHL London’s Mark Hunter received a second interview for EDM GM job…still think there are more candidates — some of whom are overseas at Under-18s. So the process continues, but Hunter is part of it.

26. spiggy says:

Thank you sir.

27. Professor Q says:

defmn:
    Darren Dreger
    ‏Verified account @DarrenDreger
    24m24 minutes ago

Elliotte Friedman
    ‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
    25m25 minutes ago

So, Hunter just signed on with Hockey Canada in March. Of course Bob would interview him (among ithers; as they say, this isn’t done yet).

However, there are also rumours of Bob heading off in a few years to join the IIHF.

This is a tangled web of mess.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Huge SH save by Starrett on, essentially, a 2-0 – just a horrible pass by Marody to turn it over – really bad play by Cooper.

29. Professor Q says:

jtblack: as my Scottish Father would say:
    “Who has that kind of money?”

Was getting a new pair of basketball shoes in the late 80’s The ones I liked were $100. My Dad was pacing outside the store; muttering to himself “That’s $50 PER SHOE”“That’s $50 PER SHOE”

$100 for shoes in the 1980s?!

What were they, gold plated?

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Wow – Eagles with tons of pressure on their second PP. Tyler Vesel with the save of the game so far as the clock winded down – empty net off a scramble and he saved a goal.

Condors down 1-0 going in to the second.

31. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: That’s pretty funny.What type of gym was this?Was it a outdoor beach gym?

No, lol.

It was this: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/fitness-center/details/miaws-w-south-beach/5968508/

McLeod scores in OT, Saginaw up 2-0.

33. dolenator says:

Condors with their hands full tonight lets see what they can do on tge power play

34. defmn says:

Professor Q,

Yeah, Bob got criticized for not doing due diligence when he hired Chiarelli so like the good bureaucrat that he is he is going to interview every hockey person whose name he can think of this time.

Unfortunately process does not guarantee the correct result.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan McLeod with the OT winner for Saginaw as they go up 2-0 on Guelph.

2-0 Eagles. Shortie.

37. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Professor Q: $100 for shoes in the 1980s?!

What were they, gold plated?

I remember buying my Jordan’s for $65.00 in 1985. I was the last person in my school to make any kind of fashion statement, but those puppies turned heads. Bought them with my first income from a summer job, but normally I wore second hand clothes as a teen.

In fact my grad suit cost 25¢ from a church basement flea market in Stony Plain in 1986.

38. Maoriduvpoojt says:

OriginalPouzar:

Not my top choice, that’s for sure.

How many here even have Hunter in their top 5?

39. Reja says:

Maoriduvpoojt: How many here even have Hunter in their top 5?

It’s all a smokescreen they will keep Keith and sell the faithful that he will be a intern GM for 1 year while they do a extensive high and low search to get the best man possible. In the mean time Keith with some help will kick ass this spring with dumping cap adding some wingers a reliable backup and doing well at the draft and he leads us to the playoffs next year which leads to Keith being named as our GM.

\Russell scores from Bear and Currie. 2-1 bad guys.

41. leadfarmer says:

Looking at the Vezina nominees.
    They actually got it right
    Bishop should take it. What a season especially with him fighting injuries

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Russell from Beat and Currie pull the Condors to within 1 early in the 3rd.

43. Westchester Oil says:

Brooke Henderson wins the LPGA event in Hawaii. Ties the record for most PGA/LPGA wins by a Canadian. And she’s only 21.

Great year so far for Canadian golfers and tennis players.

44. dolenator says:

3-1. Boys are really getting worked in the corners

To whom it may concern, Ryan Murray played a lot on both the left and right side in junior, even though he shot left.

Injuries have derailed his career somewhat. Got injured in draft +1 in junior during the lockout. He is Columbus’s version of Klefbom.

Maybe the Hunters will attempt a coup once they get Trojan Mark through the gate.

47. Paulie says:

OriginalPouzar,

Pat Casey could lift em.

48. Scungilli Slushy says:

~At least Hunter has a stellar pro assessment resume.~ I mean his name is `Hunter`. Right Mr Burgers?

Is Burgers even aware of that aspect of an NHL team given his entire background is amateur? Doesn’t seem like it. The amateur stuff really isn’t the problem. We are doomed.

Edmonton is a city of bright lights. How is it that none can penetrate the Oilers? The Ice District feels like the Deathstar.

49. Paulie says:

Paulie:
    OriginalPouzar,

Pat Casey could lift em.

Scroll down and you’ll see:https://startingstrength.com/article/pat_casey_gallagher

50. Genjutsu says:

OriginalPouzar: Rarely do I ever see a gym with dumbells over 110, however, the gym I worked out in in Kyoto had dumbells that went up to 220 pounds – yes, 220 pounds. What the eff are those for?Only thing I can think of is shrugs by giants (like the Rock).Maybe some sort of deadlift type variation.

Chuck Norris.

51. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Not my top choice, that’s for sure.

52. YKOil says:

flyfish1168: I agree. I hope he is allowed or smart enough to have a few Assistants behind him with different skill sets. Need many different skilled people and management team.

I just don’t know enough about Hunter. For all I know he is all-in on analytics.

53. Wilde says:

YKOil: I just don’t know enough about Hunter.For all I know he is all-in on analytics.

I don’t trust guys like this. It’s unfashionable to be anti-analytics all the time nowadays, so you have to look at where people are coming from initially, and where they go when they’re under pressure.

I’m sure if you asked Paul Fenton if analytics factored into his Nino-for-Rask deal, he’d say yes, but you’d have to twist the numbers (and yourself) into a pretzel to interpret publicly available data in a way that green-lights those valuations.

Timing is everything for gauging this stuff. I posted about this the other day, but all you have to do is wait for something that shakes everybody’s perspective up – in this case, the Lightning being swept – to find out where people are really at.

54. v4ance says:

I don’t have any article to use as a reference but from what I remember Mark Hunter left the Leafs organization after Lou Lamiorello because both were old school “eyes before analytics” types. Kyle Dubas was moving towards a more forward thinking organization and neither men fit the mindset they wanted to groom so they both left.

That’s my impression of Hunter and that’s why his hire would be just another one of the “200 Hockey men” that populate too many NHL organizations already. I don’t want same old same old. I want innovative and analytic based decision making. Mark Hunter might be a good manager but my bet is that he’s just like 90% of the other NHL executive dinosaurs chasing the next winning trend instead of figuring out how to get ahead of everyone else…

55. gimme shelter says:

That post on the GM hunt is correct. I say it will be Kif. His other identity is keith gretzky.

56. Yeti says:

gimme shelter: Evan Bouchard not playing last night is a disservice to him,Oilers fans everywhere. Most of us armchair experts believe he will be in NHL next year. You cannot sit him.

57. Todd Macallan says:

Zegras joins team USA this morning against the Russians, curious to see how he compares to Caufield and Turcotte.

v4ance: I don’t have any article to use as a reference but from what I remember Mark Hunter left the Leafs organization after Lou Lamiorello because both were old school “eyes before analytics” types.Kyle Dubas was moving towards a more forward thinking organization and neither men fit the mindset they wanted to groom so they both left.

That’s my impression of Hunter and that’s why his hire would be just another one of the “200 Hockey men” that populate too many NHL organizations already.I don’t want same old same old.I want innovative and analytic based decision making.Mark Hunter might be a good manager but my bet is that he’s just like 90% of the other NHL executive dinosaurs chasing the next winning trend instead of figuring out how to get ahead of everyone else…

Mark Hunter left the Leafs because Dubas was chosen GM over him. Shanahan was forced to make promote Dubas to Lamarello’s position, because Dubas was beginning to get offers from other teams.

59. Jethro Tull says:

godot10: Mark Hunter left the Leafs because Dubas was chosen GM over him.Shanahan was forced to makepromote Dubas to Lamarello’s position, because Dubas was beginning to get offers from other teams.

Isn’t that how we got Eakins?

60. Wilde says:

Jethro Tull: Promoting someone to stop them leaving instead of being the best person for the job is so……..Oilers.

Isn’t that how we got Eakins?

61. Jethro Tull says:

Wilde: no

Sigh. Just no? No rebuttal? Lucky you’re good with numbers, eh?

The story at the time is that MacT felt pressured to hire Eakins because it was insinuated that another team, most notable of which was the Canucks were going to hire him.

Now I typed Dallas Eakins Vancouver Canucks Coach into google and a whole load of stories framing this came up from about 2012 onwards as it became increasingly likely Eakins would land an NHL gig through to 2013 when he did.

But yeah. No. I guess. Good come back, nicely defined argument, compelling logic and very persuasive.

62. Wilde says:

Jethro Tull:

63. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Yeti: Of course you can – he’d just arrived, no time to gel with the team, learn systems, practice, etc, etc. The team had been on a huge winning streak and has an excellent D. Bouchard needs to be patient. They’ll work him in for a game sooner rather than later.

More accurately WE need to be patient. Although this is incredibly difficult to do when we see Makar jump right into the Avs line-up like he did.

Bouchard would easily eat Day’s lunch.

Too many damn coaches are so damn risk-averse, which boggles my mind considering how low-risk IMVSO such a move would be.

If EB is not dressed next game he is likely nursing an injury.

64. Jethro Tull says:

Wilde: hiring someone because another team is interested isn’t the same as promoting someone because another team is interested

Same concept. Otherwise you’re arguing semantics and what people mean literally. That’s a two-way street.

65. Wilde says:

Jethro Tull,

also I can’t really tell if you’re joking or just straight up trying to insult me, but if it’s the former i’d prefer that you stop because the overwhelming majority of the time people who talk down to me like that are being serious, so through text I assume that’s the case and am likely to respond in kind

Isn’t that how we got Eakins?

Shanahan hired a three headed monster because he didn’t want to bet on only one guy. He bet on three. The old experienced guy in Lamorello, the stats nerd in Dubas, and the conventional young GM type in Mark Hunter. Dubas was probably Shanahan’s guy all along, but he covered that bet until Dubas demonstrated that he was ready and could handle the job.

Hunter is a better candidate having worked in Toronto with Lamarello (the vet) and Dubas (the stats nerd), and seeing how they were going to structure operations and hire people outside of hockey usual old boy ways.

Jethro Tull: Sigh. Just no? No rebuttal? Lucky you’re good with numbers, eh?

Gillis feigned interest in Eakins. Eakins used his Toronto media PR machine to hype that interest. MacT fell for it all.

68. Jethro Tull says:

Wilde:
    Jethro Tull,

I’m sorry if I caused offense. But you have been downright mean to me in the past, and that catches up at some point.

I would suggest you run your replies through a “would I like that to be done to me” filter. Just replying “no” instead of either a) ignoring the post, or b) supplying some kind of argument invites contraryism (probably not a word).

I would put me in the 90% tongue firmly in cheek, so yeah, it’s hard to read when I’m being serious. I’ll own that. I’ll also own challenging someone that I don’t think is being fair or debating in good faith.

Don’t let this ruin your day. Hang with loved ones. Have fun. Peace.

69. Jethro Tull says:

godot10: Gillis feigned interest in Eakins.Eakins used his Toronto media PR machine to hype that interest.MacT fell for it all.

Kind of my take too. I dunno. Maybe Hunter could be good? Maybe?

70. Wilde says:

Jethro Tull:

No offense taken, I’ll reap what I sow happily, I just wanted clarity because I wasn’t sure; again I didn’t want to respond in kind if you weren’t being serious

Jethro Tull:

That’s something that does cross my mind, actually, it’s just that I look at it like this: If I’m being unfair or insulting, I certainly hope that it’d be ‘done to me’ back, because I would deserve it.

So, if you think I’ve been downright mean to you in the past – without provocation – you ignored doing what you suggest here. I put a lot of time, thought, and care into my interactions and discussion here, so I’m not looking to spread myself too thin with one-way courtesy.

Jethro Tull: Just replying “no” instead of either a) ignoring the post, or b) supplying some kind of argument invites contraryism (probably not a word).

You asked a question, and I answered it. You asked if something happened, and it didn’t, so I said it didn’t happen. I don’t have to launch into an insufferable essay like I usually do when it’s just a simple question and answer.

(contrarianism)