So Sad About Us

Sam Gagner is one of six Oilers forwards to have scored 18 or more goals in an NHL season. Gagner turns 30 this summer and is the only one of the older members of the 18-goal crew (Lucic, Brodziak) with a puncher’s chance of joining McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge in 2019-20 (based on established performances).

Edmonton needs some new blood on the skill lines and ideally it will come from value contracts currently on the roster. Who are you?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group.INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Adam Larsson’s importance to the Oilers and why trading him is a bad idea.
  • Lowetide: Tyler Benson’s comparables offer Oilers fans plenty of hope for the future.
  • Lowetide: Making the call on the Oilers’ RFAs with a new general manager on the way.
  • Lowetide: Red Wings front office shuffle could impact Oilers’ future.
  • Jonathan Willis: Potential coaching candidates and why the Oilers don’t need to rush the GM search to get one
  • Lowetide: What would Glen Sather do with these Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Some creative solutions to address the Oilers’ goalie problem
  • Lowetide: The Milan Lucic saga rolls into Year 4 for Oilers with no easy answers
  • Jonathan Willis: Who stays and who goes? An early projection of which players will remain on the Oilers’ roster in 2019-20
  • LowetideHow high can these Condors fly?
  • Lowetide: The Oilers possible summer trade pieces, and which longtime players might be saying goodbye.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ten prospects likely to be available when the Oilers make their first-round pick.

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST

Edmonton has 43 names on its current 50-man list, including nine restricted free agents. Names like Ryan McLeod and Hayden Hawkey may be added from the prospect tree, but it’s easy to envision the new general manager culling the herd heavily.

My guess is that Khaira, Gambardella, Puljujarvi and Starrett get deals, leaving Rieder, Vesel, Larkin, Rattie and Norell on the outside. If this is correct, Edmonton would have 38 names on the 50-man. It would give the new man lots of room to wheel.

Now, let’s flush the names we (I) don’t think will return, and then put the roster in the order we (I) think they could most likely succeed. By that I mean, the best players for 2019-20 in the most prominent positions.

Can we estimate the goals for this group next season? The top trio scored 106 but we probably can’t project the same. Let’s say 90? The second line has a rookie and two veterans, let’s give them 45. Third line? 25. Fourth line, recalls and extras? 15. I’m giving the 14 forwards 175 goals. Remember, the team’s forwards scored 198 goals last season. This is less.

Defense? Well they scored 30 a year ago, so let’s give them 35 since Bouchard and Persson should play quite a bit. Assuming my estimating is in the ballpark, we’re at 205 goals. That would rank No. 30 in last year’s NHL. Nope. Going to need to make some changes.

FIRST ATTEMPT AT UFA LIST

1 F Gustav Nyquist. He posted 2.10 points per 60 at 5-on-5 this season and is a wizard with the puck. He’ll turn 30 in September and his cap hit on his last contract was $5.5 million. He’ll be too expensive but would be a terrific addition.

2 F Mats Zuccarello. He’s 32 in September and posted 2.01 points per 60 at 5-on-5 this year. Injuries have had an impact and he’s an older player. I like him as a complementary winger with any of the big three centers.

3 W Richard Panik. He’s 28 and posted 1.73 points per 60 at 5-on-5. Can play either wing and PK. I think he’s the first player on my list the Oilers might have a chance to sign. He made $2.8 million last year.

4 G Brian Elliott. He’s 34, posted a .907 save percentage and is among the best goalie option (imo) on the free agent market this summer. Made $2.6 million last season. He made $3 million in 2018-19.

5 R Joonas Donskoi. He’s 27, posted 1.90 points per 60 at 5-on-5 and has been a fairly consistent contributor. He’s a good skater and can play up and down the lineup. He made $1.9 million this season and should be affordable if he makes it to July 1.

6 L Ryan Dzingel. He’s 27 and has good speed and terrific skill. He’s an American free agent, they don’t flock to Edmonton. He would be a perfect fit for the Oilers, don’t think it will happen.

7 L Michael Ferland. He’s 27 and enjoyed a solid year with the Hurricanes (1.80 5-on-5 points per 60). He would bring an edge to the team ala Kassian. I don’t think the Oilers get him but expect they’ll push.

8 L Oscar Lindberg. He’s 27 and posted 1.69 in Vegas and 1.89 per 60 5-on-5 in Ottawa this season. He’s 6.01, 202 and has skill. Contract paid $1.8 million last year. Oilers can afford him.

9 R Brett Connolly. Former No. 6 overall selection has delivered consistent offense in the last three seasons (5-on-5 per 60 by year: 1.98, 1.74, 2.66). He wins battles, is more aggressive than he was early in his career, and is my choice as UFA target this summer. He made $1.5 million this year.

10 G Robin Lehner. He made $1.5 million this season, posting .928 save percentage and winning 24 games. I don’t think the Oilers will pursue, but they should.

11 L Brandon Tanev. He is 27 and made $1.15 million in 2018-19. Wonderful forechecker, solid complementary scorer and PK winger. He’s maybe the best fit on the list for Edmonton.

12 L Magnus Paajarvi. He is 28 (!!!) and earned $900,000 this past season. His speed remains, and MP’s scoring touch returned a little this year (11 goals). Speed, PK and complementary scoring all help.

13 L Daniel Carr. He’s 27 and spent just six games in the NHL this year, but Carr has legit skill and would be a value addition. He went 52, 30-41-71 in the AHL and will be looking for a one-way deal.

14 R Alex Chiasson. He is 28 and coming off a 22-goal season. Chiasson’s price point will be the issue, Edmonton will value him. I don’t think he’s a good bet to repeat in terms of goals, this could be a dangerous contract for the Oilers.

15 L Brandon Pirri. He is 28, one dimensional and Edmonton should be all over him. His cap number ($650,000) is a minor leaguer’s total, and he spends time there. However, he scored 12 goals in 31 games. A 12-goal winger on the Oilers last season would rank No. 6. He shots the puck every 12 seconds. Make the call.

16 L Tyler Ennis. He turns 30 in October, but remains a good skater. Undersized, but a game rooster. He scored 12 goals in 51 games, but played less than 10 minutes a night. Made $650,000 this season.

You’d still want Cooper Marody to push a veteran and Jesse Puljujarvi to find his way past Gagner. However, the new coach would have more veteran presence, some added speed and penalty killing, and Pirri can shoot the puck. The option to move Leon up remains, you’d need Marody to win the No. 3 center job to make that happen. Thoughts?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning beginning at 10, TSN1260. Jonathan Willis of The Athletic will talk Oilers and the new general manager, as well as coaches who might be out there for Edmonton. Laura Armstrong drops in from Toronto Star to talk Vladdy Jr. and a parade of injured Blue Jays arms. We’ll follow that up with Kirt Hill, President of Hockey Operations and General Manager at Edmonton Oil Kings. A mammoth series against Prince Albert continues tonight in Edmonton, we’ll check out the situation on a young team that has surprised almost everyone. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

139 Responses to "So Sad About Us"

1. Pouzar says:

Wow what a pass by Zegras there. I saw a scouting report comparing him to Elias Pettersson. That spin o rama pass looked exactly like something EP would do. Caufield with the goal.
    Caufield with 10g in 4 games sets a new U18 record.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

“My guess is that Khaira, Gambardella, Puljujarvi and Starrett get deals, leaving Rieder, Vesel, Hebig, Rattie and Norell on the outside. If this is correct, Edmonton would have 38 names on the 50-man. It would give the new man lots of room to wheel.”

Its a no brainer that Khaira, Joe G., Jesse and Starret will be re-signed and that Vesel, Rattie and Norell are not.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Reider re-signed – his next contract is likely to be a massive value deal as he heads back to historical norms – with that said, I can’t imagine him re-signing with the org even if the new GM wants him back.

I could see Hebig re-signed but that will be subject to numbers.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

There are rumblings that they are unlikely to sign Hawkey which is disappointing. I would think that V. Deharnais isn’t signed and becomes a UFA on Aug 15 (along with Hawkey).

4. OriginalPouzar says:

“I have listed candidates by this year’s cap number. My order of preference begins with Brett Connolly and Robin Lehner, but realistically Edmonton’s shopping probably begins at Oscar Lindberg and Brian Elliott.”

Lehner would be great – I wanted him last off-season. I imagine his season will lead to him pricing himself out of Edmonton.

I have been talking about Brian Elliot as the 1B for months now.

Trade options include: Griess, Khubodin and Bernier (buy low if DET has soured).

OriginalPouzar:

I could see Hebig re-signed but that will be subject to numbers.

6. Alpine says:

Pouzar,

Zegras is close to an automatic pick for me if he’s there at 8, and no one else drops. I think he has enough skill to his game where I’m not quite worried about his being zoomed by Hughes. You’re not getting a perfect prospect in that spot as it is.

7. Oilman99 says:

Signing any free agent over 30yrs. Old is a bad idea,the only exception might be Zuccarello on a short term contract as he still has wheels, and soft hands. We need two 20 goal scorers to be competitive.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

How much money we can spend on forwards is really a function of how much cap space new management can open up. If they can get a clean disposition of Russell, I feel that $4M needs to be spent on the 2RD stop-gap replacement.

If they can open up any more material cap space (NO BUYOUTS) then they may be able to move up the forward snack bracket but, for this off-season, I think we are looking at the “good bet” lower tier option such as Brandon Pirri and Daniel Carr and I’m fine with that for one more year.

I would love to have material cap space opened up by moving Lucic but I don’t see it being all that realistic and I believe only one of Russell and Sekera will be moved.

9. Pouzar says:

Alpine:
    Pouzar,

I don’t know these kids from a hole in the wall but that was a damn impressive display of skill.

10. YKOil says:

Was looking at EvolvingWild’s contract projections, I like Panik a fair amount but am not a fan Dzingel, don’t see either of them getting anywhere near $4.5m/yr for 4 years; may see them get close to $3.5m/yr for 3 years.

Really like Zucarello. Also like Panik, Donskoi, Lindberg, Tanev, Chaisson, and can get on board with Carr

Not feeling a lot of love for Connolly. Cost is such a huge factor for me on this player.

If we could come out of this off-season with Zucarello, Panik, and Donskoi – huge win

11. Rondo says:

Trevor Zegras

On paper, there is so much to like about Trevor Zegras’ game. He’s one of the most productive players in the history of the USNTDP (a common theme among this year’s graduates); he can play centre or the wing; he’s committed to an excellent program at Boston University. Hell, even to the naked eye, there’s a lot to like. Zegras has blazing speed and plays a sound, mature two-way game.

Yet, I remain unconvinced of this player’s upside. My concern is that Zegras, like Oliver Wahlstrom this year, will find that creating offence without Jack Hughes on your line is considerably more difficult at the NCAA level. Zegras’ physical tools are undeniable, but the lack of offensive creativity concerns me. In my viewings, I’ve seen a player that attacks offensively as if by chainsaw where the precision of a scalpel would suffice; I’d like to see Zegras change speeds when he attacks to throw off defencemen and create space, for one example.

Perhaps that refinement will come with time, and as it does, Zegras will become a top of the lineup scoring threat for whichever team drafts him. I’m just not ready to take that risk myself any lower than the ’20s.

Eliteprospects

12. dustrock says:

No more AHL-ish guys like Carr. We need actual NHL players.

LT’s list is pretty great, I totally agree on Lehner and Elliot as a 2nd choice. Both would provide stability and wouldn’t get flustered.

New GM has to look at disappointed teams. Has to has to.

Who are we looking at? Smashville.

Might move a D, might want to shake up the forwards – some disappointment in Turris (another 5 years at $6m/year) and the disappearance of their top line against Dallas.

Nashville only team not to score on the PP in the first round. That’s a bad look.

Would they fire Laviolette? Would the Oilers consider him?

13. dustrock says:

Rondo:
    Trevor Zegras

Eliteprospects

TheOilKnight on twitter likes Zegras but not as much as everyone else. Says he has skill to burn but tries cutesy plays that just won’t fly in the NHL, isn’t sure his game will translate.

14. Primetime says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Lehner would be great – I wanted him last off-season.I imagine his season will lead to him pricing himself out of Edmonton.

Can anyone remember another example of a Vezina or Hart trophy nominee/winner that was a UFA the same year? Wondering how big a boost that gives to negotiating a monster deal…

15. Primetime says:

dustrock,

Oh man,

I’m sure they will try and unload Subban and Turris, but could someone sneak Ellis out of there? He would be a perfect fit in Edmonton (playing with Nurse), and let Bouchard develop at an unrushed pace….
    No idea if we have anything of interest to Nashville, but that would be my target….

16. LadiesloveSmid says:

dustrock,

Would they trade Ellis? Pretty please?

17. Andy Dufresne says:

“Toronto signing another skill winger would likely free up one of their current wingers for trade. Nylander? Kapanen? Johnsson? I wrote about why trading Adam Larsson is a bad idea this morning for The Athletic, but with Mark Hunter possibly the leader in the Oilers GM race, and Toronto adding scoring wingers, we have some tea leaves to read.”

Dubas woud have all the leverage. And would be highly suspiscous of Hunters inside knowledge of the Maple Leafs players. Combine that with the fact that Hunter has a limited perview of our fringe players (entire bottom six and most of our prospects) and you can see potnetial disaster in the making.

Are Hunter and Dubas/Shananhan even on good speaking terms with each other? Who knows.

Also, as with any trade, there are 30 other teams out there who will be keenly interested in Toronto assets, nmost of which are not in the cap hell that the Oilers are in.

18. dustrock says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    dustrock,

Would they trade Ellis? Pretty please?

Ellis had kind of a down year for him, after signing the major extension.

Just blue skying here, but I think they’ll choose between Subban and Ellis and one will go. Need to find a way to get them when they drop.

I’d include the 8th for one of them.

One would think it might be Subban but on the other hand, he’s wildly popular and is the cover athlete for NHL19.

19. Andy Dufresne says:

Reallistically, how much leeway will a new GM be given?

When asked in an interview “how long will it take to turn things around and become a playoff team”, If the response is anything other than one offseason, does the guy get a second interview???

20. Andy Dufresne says:

Primetime: Lehner was just nominated for the Vezina and is a UFA. I think his price tag went WAY up…regardless of whether he wins or not.

Yeah. I think Barry Trotz should win the Vezina.

21. Andy Dufresne says:

dustrock,

Would you do Kelfbom + the 8th for Ellis?

I think that would be the ask.

I also think Nashville will be looking for more offense. So they would be a front runner to do a deal with Toronto. Scoring winger for a defenseman.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Interesting piece about Sportlogiq in the Globe and Mail today (warning: paywall) https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/article-montreal-analytics-startup-sportlogiq-plays-big-role-in-nhl-playoffs/

I found this part interesting:

How did the Columbus Blue Jackets sweep the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round, pulling off one of the biggest upsets in NHL playoff history? Artificial intelligence may be partly responsible.

Sportlogiq uses a form of AI called computer vision to derive deeper data-driven insights from hockey games than had been available before – including the forechecking stats that ranked Tampa Bay near the bottom of the league. One of its customers is Columbus, whose director of hockey operations Josh Flynn confirmed Sportlogiq stats “were used to prepare a preseries analysis for the team. The forecheck stats were part of that.”

23. YKOil says:

Nashville: would have to check all the fancies but I wouldn’t be against Granlund given there is only one year left on that contract.

Just for farts and giggles… what would a Subban for Russell deal look like? I know I would be interested in that. At $9.0 million Nashville will have a hell of a time clearing that contract. Not as bad a Lucic but $9.0m is a LOT and that has its own issues.

Subban
    FOR
    Russell, Gagner or Brodziak and ?

Anyone like Bonino?

24. Coiler says:

Nylander would be quite expensive to get and would require something quite substantial to come off the books. I don’t see Edmonton going that route.

I would make a play and offer sheet Kapanen or Johnsson at max 3 million a season. That would cost a 2nd round pick which is acceptable given that the team would be getting someone who has established scoring pedigree in the league. I could see either of them on either McDavid’s or Drai’s wing.

If the rumours of Hunter being the GM are true then I would expect to see some activity between Toronto and Edmonton. Kadri anyone? He’s on the outs with Leaf management and Hunter knows him from his London Kinights days. He’s also on a fairly team friendly contract.

Hunter being the GM would not be my first choice and I hope it’s just a smokescreen on Nicholson’s part. There are other and more qualified prospective GMs I’d have the team look at.

25. Alpine says:

dustrock,

Rondo,

Like I said, at 8th overall you’re undoubtably getting a player with question marks. With Zegras, it seems like people have issues with “how” he uses his skill and not “if” he has the skill.

There’s not really a consensus BPA at 8, but Zegras might be it. Seen a few lists with Krebs in the mid to late teens and Kaliyev is of course all over the place. Boldy and Caufield are usually ranked lower than Zegras, and the non-Byram defensemen are outside the top 10.

26. HT Joe says:

Andy Dufresne: If Hunter is the new GM, I can see it being very difficult for him to Win a trade with the Maple Leafs.

Watch the Oilers hire Hunter as the GM, Hunter makes a reasonable trade offer to acquire a skill winger from Toronto, but hard feelings bubble up to the surface. Calgary offers a lesser draft pick / prospect package and acquires the skilled winger from Toronto that Edmonton wanted. Oilers panic and then offer their pick/prospect package for a previously highly-drafted skill winger who had an amazing junior career, but hasn’t been able to get traction in the AHL. The winger flounders in Edmonton, splitting time between the NHL and AHL. In the summer of 2021, Seattle picks this new winger from the Oilers in the expansion draft. In draft+3 year, the pick that the Oilers traded away turns into a great defenseman who ends up in the race for rookie of the year. Haha.

27. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

interesting.

28. Alpine says:

Andy Dufresne:
    dustrock,

Would you do Kelfbom + the 8th for Ellis?

I think that would be the ask.

29. Andy Dufresne says:

Really like LTs list and the logic it implies.

The one thing I would add is that we are in the best position (leverage wise) to get Chaisson signed to a reasonbale (perhaps even value) contract.

He’s entering his 29 yr old season. He’s played for 5 teams in 6 years.Prior to this year, he’s average 16pts a year for the previous 4 years.

NO team is going to pay him as a 38 pt guy or even a 30 pt guy.

He likes Edmonton. He knows he’s found a niche here. AND, he’s a highly intelligent guy.

I could see him signing here at 2 x $1.75. His average career earnings are $877,000 per year.

$1.75 million is DOUBLE his average career earnings.

30. jtblack says:

** living in the past **

Of all the trades under PC’s watch, the Reinhart deal is still the one that p*sses me off the most. Like many ppl, I did not like the deal in real time. With that said the deal just looks worse as time goes on ..

Watching the Playoffs you have Barzal doing Barzal things (maybe Edm wouldn’t have picked him, but he was the player chosen with the traded pick @ #16).

#34 – Travis Dermott
    #35 – Sebastian Aho
    #37 – Brandon Carlo

Blind monkey had a 70% chance to land an NHL player with #33.

The fact that Edm pissed away #16 & #33 in one of the deepest drafts of the last decade, and came away with nothing to show for it, is appalling!!

Boo Hoo. I know. It’s over. It’s done. Move on. I know. Boo Hoo.

Just leaves a burr in my saddle. Probably carry it to my grave or til Edmonton wins Stanley.

31. Andy Dufresne says:

Alpine: I don’t think Ellis is that much better than Klefbom. Yes he is probably a 1RD. But adding a top ten pick just to have the same amount of top four D as before seems counterproductive.

Not if you’re Nashville.

32. Andy Dufresne says:

HT Joe: Watch the Oilers hire Hunter as the GM, Hunter makes a reasonable trade offer to acquire a skill winger from Toronto, but hard feelings bubble up to the surface.Calgary offers a lesser draft pick / prospect package and acquires the skilled winger from Toronto that Edmonton wanted.Oilers panic and then offer their pick/prospect package for a previously highly-drafted skill winger who had an amazing junior career, but hasn’t been able to get traction in the AHL.The winger flounders in Edmonton, splitting time between the NHL and AHL.In the summer of 2021, Seattle picks this new winger from the Oilers in the expansion draft.In draft+3 year, the pick that the Oilers traded away turns into a great defenseman who ends up in the race for rookie of the year.Haha.

lol. Nice.

33. ArmchairGM says:

From this morning:

jp: At least one source is Natural Stat Trick (http://www.naturalstattrick.com/).

Go to Players. More filters to select the team etc. Click on the player you want then go to the pull down menu that says Player Summary and select Teammates instead.

As for Lucic ruining Puljujarvi, quite the opposite. For his career, every one of JP’s metrics is better with Lucic than without (biggest gap is GF% which is 53.5% with Lucic and 41.9% without Lucic). He has also scored marginally more with Lucic than without, though it’s close (1.16 vs 1.14 P/60).

Strome was better with Lucic in every metric too except GF%, likely due to their 979 PDO together. Their xGF was 56.7%. P/60 was 1.20 with Lucic and 1.27 without.

I almost feel like I’m defending Lucic here, but he was absolutely not the source of their failures.

You’re missing an important link here. Most of Puljujarvi’s “Lucic Time” also featured McDavid on the ice, for most of his time away from Lucic McDavid was also on the bench. If you use the Line Tool on NST you’ll see what I mean. SO, Lucic wasn’t helping Puljujarvi, he just happened to be there when McDavid was. And, if you look at JP’s numbers with McDavid but without Lucic, they go WAY UP.

34. Andy Dufresne says:

Coiler:

Nice catch, Kadri might be / probably will be one of the forwards they move. I’d take Kadri in a heartbeat. And so would 30 other teams I would think. $4.5 million for the next 3 years.

35. Melvis says:

Why does everybody hate Brett Leason?

My jury is out, but it might be neat if a couple of pairs of well seasoned, less oiled but well matriculated, materially relevant eyeballs took in a couple of Oil Kings games for a bit of a scouting report.

He’s listed at 6’4″, 200lbs. RW…36/53 /89 pts in 55 games this season, plus 12pts in the playoffs so far.

If possible, I might take a flyer on this guy in the 2nd round unless he’s wearing anvils on his ankles.

36. Reja says:

Andy Dufresne:

Are Hunter and Dubas/Shananhaneven on goodspeaking terms with each other? Who knows.

Please no trades with Toronto I’m still trying to wash that stink off my clothes from chop wood carry water fiasco.

37. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: A post-series analysis by Montreal sports data analytics startup Sportlogiq Inc. revealed Columbus exploited one of Tampa Bay’s few weaknesses – allowing shots and goals off forechecks in its defensive zone. Columbus also limited Tampa Bay’s top-ranked ability to move the puck through the neutral zone.

It also happens to be right in Tort’s wheelhouse as a coach. Aggressive forecheck and choke the neutral zone. If AI is telling them where the TBL where most likely to enter the zone, or be on a back check and there are patterns…..

We might be looking at one of the first cups won by a team that openly uses analytics and tailors strategy to them.

38. Ben says:

jtblack: the Reinhart deal is still the one that p*sses me off the most

Even worse, the failure of the Reinhart deal was doubtless a key catalyst for the Hall trade. Which led to the Lucic contract. Which was in turn a cap factor in the Eberle trade.

So yeah, that deal was one shit-stinking domino, to be sure.

39. Rafa Nadal says:

Rishaug said this morning that he “made some calls” over the last few weeks and “discovered” that McCrimmon is highly sought after and that he should be the Oilers’ guy. Apparently he blew McPhee away in the interview for AGM and was hired immediately a la MacTavish and Eakins.

Thoughts? I assume this is just a journalist being a journalist and there’s nothing substantial in this news.

40. Ben says:

Rafa Nadal,

Did he say anything about the Oilers’ willingness to wait for LV to be eliminated, even if it takes another round or three, before they announce a hire?

41. Andy Dufresne says:

Jethro Tull: Aggressive forecheck and choke the neutral zone.

Sounds like the cup winning 2000-2003 New Jersey Devils.

42. Andy Dufresne says:

Rafa Nadal:

So, we’re all cheering for San Jose, amaright?!?

Question: Would they even let him go before the draft knowing what he knows about LV drafting plans?

43. Jethro Tull says:

Andy Dufresne: Sounds like the cup winning 2000-2003 New Jersey Devils.

Remember that series between the Devils and Rangers in 2012? That was hard to watch; both team just happy to have all 10 skaters pin-balling the puck around the neutral zone.

44. Rafa Nadal says:

Ben:
    Rafa Nadal,

Only shared his opinion that the Oilers should wait until the end of the second round at the latest. I guess we should hope for a Sharks win tonight.

45. jtblack says:

Melvis:
    Why does everybody hate Brett Leason?

He’s listed at 6’4″,200lbs. RW…36/53 /89 pts in 55 games this season, plus 12pts in the playoffs so far.

I don’t think anybody hates Leason. The fact is Leason is an overage draftee. And the CHL has many players that tear up the league at 19 or 20 yrs old, that never play in the NHL.

A similiar player to look at MIght be Adam Brooks. He wasn’t drafted and then exploded as a 19 yr old, putting up 120 points. Toronto took him in the 4th round. He has spent the last 2 years in the AHL. Last year he had 40 points in 60 games.

Will he ever be an NHL player? not sure.

I think scouts aren’t sure about Leason either. Some have him being drafted in the 1st round, and others see him falling outside the top 2 rounds.

46. ArmchairGM says:

I saw a mock on CapFriendly that had RNH to Detroit for AA + prospect + pick. Even with no other trades / buyouts this gives the Oilers enough cap space to sign Duchene and a veteran backup. Leaving the top line as is, we could run Benson – Duchene – Athanasiou on the 2nd line and Khaira – Gagner – Puljujarvi on the 3rd. With no changes to the defense, does this make the team better?

47. barry.moore23 says:

OriginalPouzar,

“It’s a no brainer …”

If is cute how you post as if anyone in an Oilers management role has a clue as to what they are doing. Your enthusiasm for our prospects is admirable, but if the past is any indication of the future your optimism is being wasted. Let’s hope I am wrong.

48. ArmchairGM says:

I don’t get the love in yesterday’s thread for Colin Miller. Frankly he plays 3RD for Vegas and I don’t think his numbers are any better than Benning’s. What am I missing here?

49. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Andy Dufresne: So, we’re all cheering for San Jose, amaright?!?

I’ve been cheering for San Jose every year the Oilers didn’t make the playoffs…
    (Which is a lot of years)

50. SwedishPoster says:

ArmchairGM: Could Filip Berglund be a Larsson replacement? He didn’t take the step forward this season that was expected – LT’s ‘prospects don’t develop in straight lines’ is ringing in my ears – but I understand that he’s a great 2-way defenseman with excellent positioning, mobility and gap control.

Maybe @SwedishPoster could comment?

I thought I’d answer this from the last thread here.

Berglund’s season was a bit of a disappointment based on how he finished last season being one of the top players in the SHL playoffs and when he carried that play to the start of this season with the same dominant play early you thought he’d have a real break out season and get a shot with the national team. But sometime in october his game started to fade, it kinda started with him getting fined for embellishment around the same time doubt it had anything to do with his game deteriorating but it fits the timeline. From october to december he played ok but a bit oversimplistic hockey, didn’t use his passing ability and instead opted for the puck out more often than usual, when on his game I’d argue he’s one of the better puckmovers in the SHL. Then in december he was caught with a knee on knee by Matt Bailey(there’s actually a Flames connection here as Bailey played for Stockton Heat before signing in the SHL a few years ago, totally shit player ofc), now Berglund didn’t miss a shift I think but after that he started to play even worse, haven’t heard anything about him being injured and doubt it slowed him down much but again it fits the timeline. His game picked up later in the season and he was ok but inconsistent in the playoffs and had some big gaffs that turned the fan base against him.
    Overall he had a fine season with a bit of a slump midway through and if someone said when he was drafted that he would be an established top 4 D in the SHL, 3rd in his team in ice time amongst D, playing the toughest defensive tasks of the three in his draft +3 you’d be very very happy with his trajectory. Now since he’s shown a level of play beyond that and with his pretty long midseason slump in mind there’s disappointment in that he didn’t take that next step he sort of hinted was coming but if you look at the bigger picture he’s developing fine.

Now as far as Adam Larsson replacement he’s unlikely to get there, it’s a win if he ends up an NHLer in any form. Having said that he is playing the Adam Larsson minutes in the SHL, getting the tough defensive assignments which is pretty amazing since he was more of a Brent Burns type as a junior player. He’s taken a completely different role in the SHL which to me is a great sign as far as hockey IQ goes and imo bodes well going forward. There’s a two way guy cooking but he’s far from done.

There’s been two blurbs in media regarding his status for next year. First his agent told media they’ve been in touch with the Oilers all year weekly and the Oilers have told them they are happy with his development but no contract talks so far.
    The GM of Berglund’s current club said last week that they count on Berglund for next year since they haven’t heard anything else from the Oil but it’s still up in the air due to the Oilers lacking a GM (“it’s a bit chaotic there”).
    I think they’ll either wait to sign him next season or he’ll sign and be loaned back like they did with Lagesson due to the logjam in Bako.

51. Ben says:

SwedishPoster,

Sounds like he’ll be delivering some reliable two-way play for the Blackhawks in a couple of years.

52. Melvis says:

jtblack,

The things you mentioned…that’s why I’m curious. He’s all over the draft map. Which is why I’d like another opinion or two from a couple of more astute hockey minds on this blog after a look see.

53. Melvis says:

Just an aside.

I showed Alistair – aka Aliie Cat – a pic of Ziggy. With a low growl in his throat he said, “I’m getting hungry.”

He’s 20 libs of nature red in tooth and claw. I said stick to the fish. I happen to like dogs too;-)

54. OmJo says:

Andy Dufresne:
    dustrock,

Would you do Kelfbom + the 8th for Ellis?

I think that would be the ask.

Russell, the 8th, and Bear?

Russell is a cowboy and would fit right in with Nashville.

/stereotype

But in all seriousness, there will definitely be some rumbling between Toronto and Nashville. On paper they seem like the perfect trade partner.

55. Georgexs says:

Woodguy v2.0:

I found this part interesting:

I didn’t know much about SportLogiq. More familiar with their team and their work now.

Very cool. Thank you.

56. Andy Dufresne says:

SportLogiq

Wasnt it Eisenhower who said, “Beware of the analytics industrial complex”, it will be putting alot of people out of business.

57. Andy Dufresne says:

SwedishPoster,

Thanks for the update. Nice details.

58. jtblack says:

Melvis:
    jtblack,

The things you mentioned…that’s why I’m curious.He’s all over the draft map.Which is why I’d like another opinion or two from a couple of more astute hockey minds on this blog after a look see.

are you saying I am not an astute hockey mind? 🙂 kidding

I have not seen Leason live. Don’t know about his skating.

What I can tell you is that Leason started the year with 60 points in his first 26 Games.

From JAN.1st on he had 25 points in 24 games. He has 12 points in 11 playoff Games.

IMHO Leason is closer to the PPG player that’s he has been since JAN 1st, and not the over 2 ppg player he was to start the year.

Jury will be out, but I think any team that drafts him in Round 1 is reaching …..

Cheers,

59. ArmchairGM says:

Andy Dufresne:
    dustrock,

Would you do Kelfbom + the 8th for Ellis?

I think that would be the ask.

Not a chance.

60. Andy Dufresne says:

Thoughts from an addled brain.

For a few months now, my subconsious mind has been nagging me, “why would the Oilers hire an ex Calgary Flames defensman to be their new GM”

61. Reja says:

OmJo: Russell, the 8th, and Bear?

Russell is a cowboy and would fit right in with Nashville.

/stereotype

I would target Columbus lots of decisions to be made in the offseason. I would sell Jones on them the two brothers playing together just like the Potvins. I would also have the 8th overall in play they don’t have a first rounder also JP maybe the Finn can fix the Finn farmboy. I would love to get Josh Anderson signed one more year at 1.75 young strong fast and a shoot first right winger scores 35-40 playing with Mcdavid. If Keith could dump some cap with some of these scenarios and get Josh Anderson coming back I would be excited to see him bury Mcdavid feeds all next year.

62. Reja says:

Andy Dufresne:
    SportLogiq

Wasn’t that in the first Terminator movie.

63. Andy Dufresne says:

Reja: I would target Columbus lots of decisions to be made in the offseason. I would sell Jones on them the two brothers playing together just like the Potvins. I would also have the 8th overall in play they don’t have a first rounder alsoJP maybe the Finn can fix the Finn farmboy. I would love to get Josh Anderson signed one more year at 1.75 young strong fast and a shoot first right winger scores 35-40 playing with Mcdavid. If Keith could dump some capwith some of these scenarios and get Josh Anderson coming back I would be excited to see him bury Mcdavid feeds all next year.

Nice Target, Young, Big, 40+pt scorer.

Jones and/or JP + the 8th overall woud help the CBJ cap after next year. If they manage to re-sign Duchesne and others.

64. ArmchairGM says:

SwedishPoster: I thought I’d answer this from the last thread here.

Great info – and thanks! I’d love to see him signed and then loaned back to SHL this summer, as I don’t think there’s room for him in Bakersfield. I always had him ahead of Lagesson on the depth chart (different position, I know) and think there’s potential there still, difficult season notwithstanding. Hopefully the scouts see it this way too and inform the new GM in due course.

65. Alpine says:

ArmchairGM,

Gallant shelters Theodore too, as both him and Miller see less than 30% of their TOI vs Elites, and both get an OZ push.

It’s surprising how much they play Engelland and how much he seems to to thrive. Maybe he should be our 2RD stopgap.

66. ArmchairGM says:

Andy Dufresne: Nice Target, Young, Big, 40+pt scorer.

Jones + Puljujarvi + 8th overall for Josh Anderson? O.o

If that’s the ante I’m not playing.

67. Nit64 says:

Rafa Nadal:

Seattle will likely be full court press to acquire his experience with a front office built from scratch. Edmonton *should* want him for roughly the same reason.

He might be want to keep Kretzy, but some others need one way tickets to Skypeable locales.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Pretty excited for the Condors game tonight – Missed all but the 1st period of game 2 while overseas.

With home ice and coming off a loss, will Bouchard get inserted in to the lineup? I’m hoping but am not expecting. I saw that Stanton was interview meaning he’s playing. Day is the only other option to come out (and the likely option) and he’s been a key part of the PP and offence all season and was a startin game 1.

Also hopeful that Yamamoto is healthy enough to play but, again, not expecting it. Last I heard from Woodcroft last week was “day to day” but didn’t really sound like he was all that close.

69. ArmchairGM says:

Alpine: Miller plays more minutes than Benning, at least this past season. I don’t know if Miller’s usage should disqualify him from being a solution.

70. --hudson-- says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Thoughts from an addled brain.

That was his brother Brad who since died in the plane crash in Russia. Kelly never played in the NHL.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Question posed this morning in yesterday’s thread:

“What do you think of Filip Berglund being a potential replacement for Larsson 2 years down the road? Or is that a pipedream? Do you see anyone else in the system that could potentially play the heavy defensive minutes Larsson does?

I would suggest that Lagesson projects the best here but also Samorukov. Samorukov is getting accolades as his offensive and overall game has taken off but he has shown to be a very good defender and can be very aggressive in the defensive zone.

Phil Kemp is another potential.

72. Reja says:

Two game sevens coming up let see if the refs put away their whistles and see what kind of impact the so called overpaid role players have when it’s do or die.

73. jtblack says:

ArmchairGM: Jones + Puljujarvi + 8th overall for Josh Anderson? O.o

If that’s the ante I’m not playing.

I am not playing either … Moving #8 is insanity to me … I know Edm has to consider all options, but the way this draft is looking, #8 is going to get Edmonton a heck of player that should make the roster for 2020 and be a contributor.

Cozens, Dach or Krebs. A few of the USNT players. Great players avail at #8.

74. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Question posed this morning in yesterday’s thread:

I would suggest that Lagesson projects the best here but also Samorukov.Samorukov is getting accolades as his offensive and overall game has taken off but he has shown to be a very good defender and can be very aggressive in the defensive zone.

Phil Kemp is another potential.

Yeah, I was looking at RHD only. And I don’t think Kemp is above Berglund in NHL potential.

Edit: a year ago most of us had Berglund ahead of Lagesson, I don’t think I’m ready to discard him as a prospect due to one bad season. Straight lines and all that.

75. Maoriduvpoojt says:

YKOil:

Really like Zucarello.Also like Panik, Donskoi, Lindberg, Tanev, Chaisson, and can get on board with Carr

Not feeling a lot of love for Connolly.Cost is such a huge factor for me on this player.

I am not a Chiasson fan, and I was all over a Connolly acquisition about 2 weeks ago, but watching him play reminds me of a faster Chiasson. I don’t see a high compete level or a player that wins board battles. Chiasson to me is a very soft big player and Connolly is on the same level (small sample size).

Panik, from my couple of viewings seems to me to be on that same level as Chiasson and Connolly in terms of compete and losing board battles. These guys all must have some really high skill, but these players have elements that remind me of POS and Spooner.

Tanev, Zuccarello, Donskoi and Carr would be excellent adds to the roster, IMO.

Also, it hurts my heart to see Puljujarvi below Gagner on your depth chart.

Oh, right……………. WE DO 🙁

76. Nit64 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    How much money we can spend on forwards is really a function of how much cap space new management can open up.If they can get a clean disposition of Russell, I feel that $4M needs to be spent on the 2RD stop-gap replacement.

77. Gerta Rauss says:

Nit64: September 19th the PA can opt out of the current CBA. 31 GMs will want compliance buyouts. Sorry Seattle!!! No buyouts before Sept. 19.

And if labour peace holds, the CBA will run it’s course, expiring in 2022

78. Alpine says:

ArmchairGM: Miller is 6th on the team for playoff minutes per game. 7th for the regular season. At 5v5 Miller scored 0.75 p/60 while Benning was 0.86 p/60. Looking at the Woodmoney’s doesn’t reveal a vastly better player, but more of the same with a higher pricetag. And an asset cost that would likely hurt the team in another area.

I guess the thing with Miller is that the acquisition cost might not be very high. Vegas will have some relief with moving Clarkson but it will be tight. I don’t love the player I just think he might be a competent 4/5 guy. I’m only really interested in him as an option due to handedness, assumed availability and acquisition cost. I wouldn’t pay a premium for Colin Miller.

I did use total even strength time so I guess that’s where our numbers differ. At ES Miller plays more than other D on Vegas because I assume Vegas likes to use him at 3v3 and 4v4.

At 5v5 he played less than Holden and Merrill, but Miller’s 15:55 isn’t far off what Engelland and McNabb played at 5v5 as they played 16:13 each. So Miller was close to being top four. They run a high usage third pairing there.

With Miller vs Benning, yeah Benning is better for third pairing because he’s cheaper but Vegas’ third pairing is different than what the Oilers under Hitch had for a third pairing.

But which one would you rather play 2RD? With Miller you play him maybe a minute more than what he played in Vegas. Benning would need to play 4 more minutes on average. Benning DID play tougher minutes than Miller under McLellan but I wonder if that player is still there after some concussion issues and a whole season playing a more sheltered role.

79. leadfarmer says:

What is it about Nashville that other than Forsberg the players they acquire worse there than the previous team.
    Johansen never lived up to his expectation when he was acquired
    Kyle Turris pretty much vanished
    Granlund trade looked like highway robbery when it happened. 2 points in playoffs after less than 0.5 ppg after trade deadline
    Wayne Simmons looked like he’s in the Lucic Neal decline but still could put the puck in the net before the trade to Nashville

80. pts2pndr says:

ArmchairGM: Jones + Puljujarvi + 8th overall for Josh Anderson? O.o

If that’s the ante I’m not playing.

I think it was Jones or Puljujarvi and the 8th. I still think it foolish to move a winger who is only twenty with JP’s skill set when the team needs wingers. We could trade him and find he was the answer just slower to develope due to his handling.

81. leadfarmer says:

Caufield is the first person shooter who’s arrival the Oracle foretold
    Why’s does he have to be 5’7
    The gods mock us

82. D'oh-ilers says:

Primetime: Lehner was just nominated for the Vezina and is a UFA.I think his price tag went WAY up…regardless of whether he wins or not.

Can anyone remember another example of a Vezina or Hart trophy nominee/winner that was a UFA the same year?Wondering how big a boost that gives to negotiating a monster deal…

Dubnyk. He signed a 1 year deal with Arizona, had a monster 2014-15 season, was traded to Minnesota, ended 3rd in Vezina voting and was quickly signed to a 6 x $4.333m deal.

83. leadfarmer says:

I would go the other way
    You can’t afford top 6 players and if you could I doubt Skinner Panarin or Duchenne want to come here.
    Don’t buy high on Connolly
    Buy low and rebuild the 3rd line Get Burakovsky and Donskoi

84. Andy Dufresne says:

Maoriduvpoojt: Why are we trading a soon-to-be 21 year old with over 100 games in the NHL who has skill, speed, compete, set a scoring record at the World Juniors, and is 6’4″. Who even does that?

We’re not. The new GM who has no alliegence to the player, and is likely under pressure to turn things around quickly, is.

85. Andy Dufresne says:

leadfarmer:
    Johansen never lived up to his expectation when he was acquired
    Kyle Turris pretty much vanished
    Granlund trade looked like highway robbery when it happened.2 points in playoffs after less than 0.5 ppg after trade deadline

GMing is hard, Poile is typically acknowledged to be one of the top GM’s in the league. But just cant seem to find that winning equation.

86. Nit64 says:

Gerta Rauss: In Sept of this year, either side can give 1 years notice, so there won’t be any compliance buyouts before Sept 2020, and that is assuming compliance buyouts are in the discussion when negotiating the new CBA ( I hope they are)

And if labour peace holds, the CBA will run it’s course, expiring in 2022

I’d avoid any buyouts this summer. And if the PA does opt out then I’d also avoid major buyouts until there is a new CBA in place. Doubt talks will be very friendly when they get to escrow.

87. ArmchairGM says:

leadfarmer:
    I would go the other way
    Don’t buy high on Connolly
    Buy low and rebuild the 3rd line Get Burakovsky and Donskoi

88. leadfarmer says:

Andy Dufresne: We’re not.The new GM who has no alliegence to the player, and is likely under pressure to turn things around quickly, is.

Given that Oil reportedly tried to move Lucic with JP it’s not us trying to move him it’s the braintrust
    Obviously this player is not a piece they won’t move it’s what price they move him for
    There’s been a big disconnect between team and player since almost day 1

89. ArmchairGM says:

90. leadfarmer says:

ArmchairGM: The problem is that Bura and Donskoi would automatically become 2nd liners here. But are they good enough to be 2nd liners on a playoff team? I don’t think so.

Well as long as you don’t pay them as 2nd line players that is just fine
    We don’t have a way to fill those 2nd line spots given our salary cap situation
    And we are not a playoff team next year

91. Bruce McCurdy says:

OriginalPouzar:

I could see Hebig re-signed but that will be subject to numbers.

Hebig is under contract next season.

92. jzed says:

Oilers needed some major machine learning before the draft debacle and trading Hall. Input all the data today and I’m sure the AI box would smoke and burst into flame.

93. Andy Dufresne says:

pts2pndr: No matter who the new GM is, it’s a very tenuous situation. You have to pay for ALL the mistakes you make. I dont think our tab has been cleared yet. I expect we will lose another trade or two in the name of re-balancing. There’s not a single GM out there that is eagre to help a team lead by McDavid and Draisaitl.

I think you are right.

We are going to pay a premium for the mistakes we have made. It’s going to cost us more to move dead cap. Its going to cost us more to trade “underperforming assets” no matter what thier draft pedigree. And its going to cost us more to make straight up hockey trades.

Pick your poison, are you

A) willing to lose another trade or two in the name of balance
    B) willing to pay a premium to move a Lucic or Russell contract
    C) willing to sell low on underperforming contracts like JP or Yamo
    D) willing to overpay in free agency
    E) willing to show patience and ask McDavid to endure another year of development/losing

Like I said, there isnt a GM in the world that is willing to reach out and help us. To a man, they would all like to see us hamstrung by bad contracts and an unbalanced roster so that they never have to worry about a McDavid dynasty.

So A through E are the realistic choices IMO. And I dont think the organization is too eagre to choose option E and all of the options A through D could be described as potentially digging the hole deeper.

Sometimes life forces you to choose from a list of not so great options.

94. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Oilers may trade Khaira and Puljujarvi before the new contract is signed. NHL teams usually acquire the rfa and then sign a deal that fits their situation.

The Oilers should be looking to add these types of players, not dispose of them.

95. Andy Dufresne says:

ArmchairGM: No he isn’t. He doesn’t even have the job yet. It’s the Edmonton media (including LT) that is pushing the trade idea.

96. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar: Sure, fair enough, however as we’ve discussed and I’ve posted numerous times (to the chagrin of many I’m sure), I see no win by trading either of those two player – both purport to be value contracts over the term of their next contracts (and Puljujarvi with the potential to be a massive value contract, if he pops).

You are almost certainly right, but I dont think you get a second interview with Nicholson and company when you try and sell them on the approach.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben:
    Rafa Nadal,

He said he thinks the org should wait but didn’t state if he had any info on if the org actually would.

98. Andy Dufresne says:

Any long suffering Oakland Raiders fans out there looking forward to Thursday?

99. OriginalPouzar says:

barry.moore23:
    OriginalPouzar,

“It’s a no brainer …”

If is cute how you post as if anyone in an Oilers management role has a clue as to what they are doing. Your enthusiasm for our prospects is admirable,but if the past is any indication of the future your optimism is being wasted. Let’s hope I am wrong.

I was unaware that the organization had chosen a new general manager to guide this team forward.

I don’t care about past moves (as they don’t relate to future moves), I don’t care about the “OBC” – I care about doing the next right thing.

100. Andy Dufresne says:

And LETS GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Pasternak Pasternaks and Marchand licks Marner!

101. JimmyV1965 says:

Andy Dufresne: I think you are right.

Pick your poison, are you

A) willing to lose another trade or two in the name of balance
    B) willing to pay a premium to move a Lucic or Russell contract
    C) willing to sell low on underperforming contracts like JP or Yamo
    D) willing to overpay in free agency

Like I said, there isnt a GM in the world that is willing to reach out and help us. To a man, they would all like to see us hamstringed so that they never have to worry about a McDavid dynasty.

Sometimes life forces you to choose from a list of not so great options.

I don’t get the narrative that we have to lose a trade. We only lose a trade if the GM accepts that. If the Jets are trading Ehlers for instance, they will accept the best offer. They won’t demand an extra piece or two because we’re the Oilers. Maybe if we were in the same division or they perceived us as a legit threat. I also believe we have a couple pieces in Kassian and Benning whose trade value may be inflated.

102. OriginalPouzar says:

While the players will almost undoubtedly opt out of the current CBA, as has been discussed, the dynamics that led to previous amnesty/compliance buyouts (reduction in cap, change in the HRR calculation and split, etc.) are likely not applicable this time around. Here is hoping they are negotiated in but its far from a foregone conclusion.

With that said, I am 100% willing to wait and see if some amnesty buyouts are negotiated – it doesn’t help us this year (given the termination a year after notice) but bleeding too much asset and still retaining on Lucic doesn’t help us in the medium term.

103. Pescador says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Any long suffering Oakland Raiders fans out there looking forward to Thursday?

Depends
    How long does Grudens contract run for?

104. Andy Dufresne says:

JimmyV1965: I don’t get the narrative that we have to lose a trade. We only lose a trade if the GM accepts that.If the Jets are trading Ehlers for instance, they will accept the best offer. They won’t demand an extra piece or two because we’re the Oilers. Maybe if we were in the same division or they perceived us as a legit threat. I also believe we have a couple pieces in Kassian and Benning whose trade value may be inflated.

But IMO, its not about the other team demanding an extra peice or two. Its about them perceiving our assets as “lesser” given the losing environment and under performance, and sensing our desperation.

Lucic, Russell, hard to move.
    JP Yamo underperfomring assets
    Our entire bottom six, relacement level players

So like the list suggests, unless you are willing to pay a premium, your only asset worth full value right now is the 8th overall pick. IMO

The one way to nuetralize McDavid is to make sure he plays on a weak team.

105. Andy Dufresne says:

Pescador: Depends
    How long does Grudens contract run for?

Just one……………………………………….decade

106. Ben says:

Who would do Larsson for Barrie, straight up? Barrie’s a more valuable player, but one less year, $400k more, and they’ve got other offensive D pushing.

107. JJ says:

OriginalPouzar says:
    April 23, 2019 at 2:44 pm

____________________________________________________

Well said and keep saying it until the majority catch on.

The Oilers should be acquiring skilled Puljujarvi-like players that have not developed in a straight line,
    but could be had on a value contract.

To trade Khaira or Puljujarvi is insane.

Other teams will be targeting these guys left and right, and that only makes me believe more that we should keep them.

108. Andy Dufresne says:

Ben:

Not Colorado. IMO

If Im Sakic and you want Barrie in a trade, Im not that motivated to start with, so my ask is Bouchard and Samorukov

Andy Dufresne:
    dustrock,

Would you do Kelfbom + the 8th for Ellis?

I think that would be the ask.

Klefbom is entering his prime on a value contract. Ellis is leaving his prime, and is signed forever at a big number.

The Oilers have been trading away players entering their prime for the entire 14 years of suck. Players aged 25-29 are the core of championship teams. The more you trade away those players, the longer you will suck.

I wouldn’t trade Klefbom one for one, much less add the #8.

Melvis:
    Why does everybody hate Brett Leason?

Nobody hates Brett Leason. He is just two years older than most of the other players being drafted. Fix-Wolanky is the same age and dominated in the WHL was a 6th round draft pick. 19-years olds in the junior hockey are supposed to dominate.

That said Leason is still likely to be a late first round draft pick.

ArmchairGM:

Nothing. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

112. Reja says:

jtblack: I am not playing either … Moving #8 is insanity to me … I know Edm has to consider alloptions, but the way this draft is looking, #8 is going to get Edmonton a heck of player that should make the roster for 2020 and be a contributor.

Cozens, Dach or Krebs.A few of the USNT players.Great players avail at #8.

Exactly no 8 pick with Jones or Jesse may be very enticing for a GM Keith could turn this around in a hurry. why can’t he win a trade and get this team believing and going in the right direction next year.

113. ArmchairGM says:

Andy Dufresne: Im not sure LT is pushing the trade idea. I think that he’s looking at the realities of the business of hockey and projecting things that have a likelyhood of occuring.

114. ArmchairGM says:

Andy Dufresne: I hope… Marchand licks Marner!

Ew. Not a positive mental image. But if anyone does it, Marchand would.

Brett Connolly is NOT a first line right wing. If you sign him and expect him and the OIlers to succeed, I think one has been drinking the same water as the OIlers.

Hope Florida signs Bobrovsky and Panarin and is willing to offload Hoffman for cheap. Much less risk and more likelihood of success in shopping the salary cap dump bin than the UFA bin.

116. Alpine says:

I would say the Avs and Stars give me hope that a one line team with a couple good defensemen can go somewhere in the playoffs, especially since RNH is better than every 2nd liner on both teams.

So you could get away with adding middle six guys to build towards 2nd and 3rd lines that break even.

Problem with us vs those two teams is in net. How we do get .940 goaltending in the playoffs? Whatever roster we might end up with, who knows how the goaltending will hold up.

117. Jethro Tull says:

ArmchairGM: Anyone who keeps mentioning that a future unknown GM is likely to trade a certain player is certainly pushing the idea.

On who? We don’t have a GM to push it on to.

These aren’t the types of people who listen to the media and make they’re decisions based on what the media would do.

I agree completely. As a building team, Edmonton shouldn’t be trading the young players who can survive at this level. I’m talking about what they may do, not what they should do.

119. JimmyV1965 says:

Andy Dufresne: We’re going to see fairly quickly. I hope you are right. I hope OP is right. I hope LT is right.

Lucic, Russell, hard to move.
    JP Yamounderperfomring assets
    Our entire bottom six, relacement level players

The one way to nuetralize McDavid is to make sure he plays on a weak team.

Lucic, Russell, hard to move.
    JP Yamounderperfomring assets
    Our entire bottom six, relacement level players

The one way to nuetralize McDavid is to make sure he plays on a weak team.

Lucic, Russell, hard to move.
    JP Yamounderperfomring assets
    Our entire bottom six, relacement level players

The one way to nuetralize McDavid is to make sure he plays on a weak team.

I do agree that we have very few assets outside draft picks. No question the GM has a huge challenge with all our replacement level players. I’m not advocating we trade these guys, but I do think Kassian has tremendous trade value for his player type, given his speed and 15 goals. Same with Benning because he’s a RHD with good numbers.

120. greenshifter says:

Andy Dufresne,

Yes I am and Yes I am.

121. Pescador says:

Reja: Exactly no 8 pick with Jones or Jesse maybe very enticing for a GM Keith could turn this around in a hurry. why can’t he win a trade and get this team believing and going in the right direction next year.

122. ArmchairGM says:

I disagree with the notion that the incoming GM will be forced into bad deals (i.e. selling low on 20-year-olds / overpaying to dump cap) in order to turn the ship immediately.

Lagesson: $0.75M
    Benson: $0.8M
    Gambardella: $0.75M

That leaves $6.5M for 2 UFA forwards – without making any other moves this is where they’ll be. A new GM could effect a single trade that could clear ~$3.5M, or he might like the idea of buying out a couple of contracts to create the same space. While I personally dislike this method it could look something like this:

Sekera buyout: $3M savings, replace with Jones at $0.72M = $2.28M cap space added
    Gagner buyout: $2.133 savings, replace with Marody at $0.925M = $1.2 cap space added

Now you have $10M in cap space to sign 2 forwards. You can easily get 2 impact guys for that, whether you split that 7/3 or 6/4.

I see no need to fret about including the #8 pick to get rid of salary or whatever terrible scenario you can dream up. It’s not going to happen simply because it isn’t necessary. There are a myriad of ways to ice a better team next year without emptying the prospect cupboard or trading young core players. If the goal is to make the playoffs in 2020-21 and be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender by 2021-22 (I suspect these are reasonable targets for a new GM), even a sock-puppet can do it.

123. ArmchairGM says:

Jethro Tull: On who? We don’t have a GM to push it on to.

On the fan base.

It seems you have an issue with me, but I can’t seem to track it down. What are you mad about?

125. Nit64 says:

Pescador: Am I the only person who feels like it’s gotten so bad that other NHL GM’s don’t bother trading with the Oilers anymore Unless they are getting back more value in the trade?

Price goes up when the other party is desperate. When you cover your own bases and trading is optional you can find some interesting trades to improve a bit. When you need to trade best of luck.

Condors GDT is up.

127. oilsnc79 says:

Condors GDT is up.

Lt, where might I find condors gdt?

128. Gerta Rauss says:

oilsnc79: Lt, where might I find condors gdt?

129. JimmyV1965 says:

Nit64: Price goes up when the other party is desperate. When you cover your own bases and trading is optional you can find some interesting trades to improve a bit. Whenyou need to trade best of luck.

130. oilsnc79 says:

Gerta Rauss: you may have to login (assiming you are not logged in atm)…then just go to the home page

Ah, thnx man.

131. Reja says:

Ha Ha see ya leafs bet you wished you had more toughness with skill in the bottom six.

132. Reja says:

Leafs could be ripe for the pickings Kadri Brown even Ennis would help the sad sack of forwards we had to end the year.

133. OriginalPouzar says:

Evan Bouchard is taking the warm-up but they have an extra body out there so we still wait….

134. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors physical early – Malone with a real solid hit on the PK and that’s followed up by a nice one by Currie – Benson through a hit earlier as well.

135. Glovjuice says:

Benning and trade value inflated in the same sentence. That is funny. Wow. This blog is entertaining. I mean, this place is about entertainment right ?

136. Andy Dufresne says:

ArmchairGM:

“First, every new GM comes in with a completely new plan for long-term success and therefore will have at least 1 year to implement without upper management demanding on-ice results (i.e. playoffs or get fired).”

This is usually true. But this is an organization that is on the record as beleiving that they are close to being a playoff team. And things like Season Ticket sales and McDavid comments make me beleive they are looking for GM that has a plan to turn the ship around in a hurry. Its not that the new GM is going to get fired if he fails to reach the playoffs, its that they wont hire a GM that doesnt have a plan to in fact make the playoffs in the first place.

“Second, the Oilers have $70M committed to 15 players next season. Add in $1.5M for JP and $1.25 for Khaira and that’s $72.75M for 17 players. Budget $2M for a backup and you’re left with about $8.75M to find a 7th defenseman and 4 forwards. We’ll work it like this:

Lagesson: $0.75M
    Benson: $0.8M
    Gambardella: $0.75M

That leaves $6.5M for 2 UFA forwards”

What kind of forwards are you going to get in free agency at $3.25 million each? Middle six at best.

Then you mention buyouts…..and buyouts are in fact potentially part of the price you have to pay for mistakes made, and are unquestionably loser deals. They represent a loss. Just like a bad trade.

137. Andy Dufresne says:

Exactly.

Im not saying we have to lose a few trades. But it may happen in the name of re-balancing. The past is the best predictor of the future. GMs will be circling like sharks smelling the blood in the water, and will be offering to save us by throwing us anchors

138. Andy Dufresne says:

JimmyV1965: Only bad GMs ever feel they HAVE to make a deal or get a certain player. Good GMs wait for the good deal, even if it means icing a suboptimal roster today.

The Oilers have many options for a new GM. I think any guy that comes in and says hes going to disciplined and wait for the right deals is not getting hired. Anyone who tells them he has a plan to turn this ship around but it will take two or three seasons, is not getting hired. IMO