The Bakersfield Condors can close out the series against Colorado tonight with a victory on home ice. It has been a fascinating series, with the veteran lines centered by Brad Malone and Tyler Vesel playing prominent roles. The Cooper Marody line has done well in possession but haven’t delivered points (Josh Currie the only member of the line with a crooked number). Is this the night the big line breaks out?
CONDORS CORSI 5-ON-5 VIA WILDE
The top nine forwards are dominating in possession and the team’s leading scorers (Polei, Russell, plus defenseman Evan Bouchard) do not include members of the top line. Look for a market correction tonight.
BEST SEASONS BY AHL ROOKIE IN OKC
Edmonton placed its affiliate in Oklahoma City fall 2010 through spring 2015 and had some success in developing young defensemen. Forwards? Mixed bag. Here are the top 10 seasons offensively for Barons rookies, followed by the top 10 seasons by rookies for Bakersfield Condors since they arrived in California. (Total Points)
- D Justin Schultz 34GP, 18-30-48 (2012-13)
- L Toni Rajala 46GP, 17-28-45 (2012-13)
- C Teemu Hartikainen 66GP, 17-25-42 (2010-11)
- R Andrew Miller 52GP, 8-26-34 (2013-14)
- L Hunter Tremblay 68GP, 16-15-31 (2011-12)
- D Martin Marincin 69GP, 7-23-30 (2012-13)
- F Milan Kytnar 78GP, 13-16-29 (2010-11)
- C Bogdan Yakimov 57GP, 12-16-28 (2014-15)
- D Taylor Fedun 70GP, 8-19-27 (2012-13)
- D Jordan Oesterle 65GP, 8-17-25 (2014-15)
NHLers from that group include Schultz, Marincin, Fedun and Oesterle. OKC had a helluva time turning forwards into NHL talent, from Magnus Paajarvi Anton Lander to Hartikainen.
BEST SEASONS BY AHL ROOKIE IN BAKERSFIELD
- Tyler Benson 68, 15-51-66 (2018-19)
- Cooper Marody 58, 19-45-54 (2018-19)
- Logan Day 67, 7-27-34 (2018-19)
- Cameron Hebig 64, 11-18-29 (2018-19)
- Jesse Puljujarvi 39, 12-16-28 (2016-17)
- Joey Laleggia 63, 8-19-27 (2015-16)
- Dave Gust 53, 13-11-24 (2017-18)
- Anton Slepyshev 49, 13-8-21 (2015-16)
- Marco Roy 42, 8-12-20 (2015-16)
- Joe Gambardella 50, 13-6- 19 (2017-18)
The current team dominates, with the top four names all 2018-19 kids. Part of that is the new slow playing of young talent, but there were years when four rookies wouldn’t get enough minutes to climb this latter. Marco Roy, who should have been signed when he was eligible, would have had more success if he’s arrived three years later.