Draft Workbook, Volume One

We talked yesterday about things Edmonton did at the 2011 draft. While selecting slow defensemen, overdrafting goalies and plucking checkers with little offense, overlooking the skill left on the board, the Oilers committed multiple sins while also walking away with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Oscar Klefbom and Tobias Rieder. One of the chief issues with the Oilers drafting in the early part of the decade surrounded grabbing shy offensive forwards (some with speed issues) in the first three rounds. As the decade rolls along, did they get any better?

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group.INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Lowetide: Ken Holland’s Bakersfield production line: Elevating Jones and how long will success take?
  • New Lowetide: Ken Holland’s procurement list for his rumored move to Edmonton will include front-office personnel
  • New Jonathan Willis: A Milan Lucic trade is at the top of the to-do list for the Oilers’ next GM.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Why Edmonton should expand its GM shortlist now that Kelly McCrimmon is out of the running
  • New Lowetide: Should Oilers practice more patience in adding Evan Bouchard to the roster?
  • Jonathan Willis: Is Ken Holland yesterday’s man or the ideal GM candidate for the Oilers?
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi and his uncertain future with the Oilers
  • Lowetide: ‘I see something special’: Are Oilers prepared to make Caleb Jones a fixture on the roster next season?
  • Jonathan Willis: Gritty comeback performance sends Edmonton’s farm team to the second round of the AHL playoffs.
  • Lowetide: Dylan Cozens might be ideal fit for Oilers at No. 8 overall in the 2019 draft
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘Hard to please, but easy to work for’: How Sean Burke’s philosophy as a GM would benefit the Oilers.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: A dogged realist, Kelly McCrimmon’s resume makes him an attractive candidate for the Oilers GM job
  • New Lowetide: Is this the season the Oilers take the plunge and draft a USHL player in the first round?
  • Jonathan Willis: Top Oilers prospect Evan Bouchard stars in his first AHL game as Condors dominate.
  • Lowetide: Adam Larsson’s importance to the Oilers and why trading him is a bad idea.
  • Lowetide: Tyler Benson’s comparables offer Oilers fans plenty of hope for the future.
  • Lowetide: Making the call on the Oilers’ RFAs with a new general manager on the way.
  • Lowetide: Red Wings front office shuffle could impact Oilers’ future.
  • Jonathan Willis: Potential coaching candidates and why the Oilers don’t need to rush the GM search to get one
  • Lowetide: The Milan Lucic saga rolls into Year 4 for Oilers with no easy answers
  • Jonathan Willis: Who stays and who goes? An early projection of which players will remain on the Oilers’ roster in 2019-20
  • LowetideHow high can these Condors fly?
  • Lowetide: The Oilers possible summer trade pieces, and which longtime players might be saying goodbye.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ten prospects likely to be available when the Oilers make their first-round pick

CAREER GOAL: GOALS

Craig MacTavish said “in today’s NHL, even marginally, you have to be a threat to score” and in many ways that has been the story of Edmonton’s drafting this decade. In the 00’s, Kevin Prendergast grabbed Jarret Stoll, Kyle Brodziak, Matt Lombardi and others outside the first round. Edmonton needs some success in the 31-100 corridor. With forwards. Who have speed.

I’m going to list all of Edmonton’s draft picks 2010-18 who were: Forwards chosen outside the first round but inside the top 100 overall. Using NHLE, let’s see if Edmonton improved over the decade in identifying more capable scorers, and in finding more speed.

One thing not yet mentioned in our recent look at these players is the Sept-December birthdays in the group. McLeod (September), Martindale and Yakimov (October), Pitlick and Roy (November), Hamilton (December) all born on the older side of the calendar.

McLeod represents progress, I think that’s fair. Was the selection a fluke? He projects as a two-way center likely to find the No. 3 line but among the Oilers forwards chosen in the decade 31-100, McLeod has the best draft resume. The best NHL player in the group (Tyler Pitlick) was drafted miles too early based on NHLE, while Mitch Moroz remains the ultimate example of a player chosen without accurate estimation of his offensive potential.

What is the dividing line for drafting a skill forward 31-100 in terms of NHLE? Is it 20 points? 25? Of course it depends on the season, but allow me to run the 218 draft 31-99 for forwards with their NHLE’s.

Oilers made an astute choice based on the NHLE of the players available. In this draft, Kody Clark (an October 1999) to the Washington Capitals is the largest outlier, while the best selection goes to Akil Thomas (Los Angeles Kings).

What’s the point of all this? Well, two things. Edmonton drafted an offensively capable player (compared to the names available) at No. 40, and he’s a forward with speed. Doesn’t mean McLeod will make it, but he was an appropriate selection based on the talent available.

One more note: I use NHLE only to put these players on a level playing field. I’m sure there are more sophisticated models available. I don’t know if the Oilers have a model, but they should for the draft (and other areas). It’s a useful aid.

Tippet would run heavy with veterans and play a button-down style with discipline and structure. He is a player’s coach, or at least Patrick Johnston described him as such in 2013 for Canuck’s Army. Pierre Lebrun did an interview with him several months ago for The Athletic, it is here. If you’re going to read one thing about Tippett today, make it this piece. The part about “we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end” is absolute music.

NHLE 2019 DRAFT

I decided to do the same thing for this year’s draft as above. Using my latest list, here are the NHLE’s, forwards 31-51

The Euro leagues get bitten here, some of the lower leagues have very little connection to NHLE (I used Manny’s list for several leagues) so it’s a stretch. The best forward in this group (who isn’t an overager) is probably Brayden Tracey, although he got zoomed by linemates. Legare might be the better player.

If the Oilers grab Tracey at No. 38, fans should consider that a strong selection based on the young man’s scoring abilities. I wonder if the Oilers do a ranking based purely on math and then apply it to their own list. It shouldn’t be regarded by scouts as a threat, but rather as a confirmation. They already know how good Tracey is, but do they know in relationship to the players around him? Don’t know.

247 Responses to "Draft Workbook, Volume One"

« Older Comments
  1. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    After taking a deep breath i have come to this conclusion.

1) I have no idea how Holland will do

2)I am 99% sure that he will be Better than Chiarelli

3)PC set the org back 3 yrs.But I think Holland inherits an NHLRoster AND prospect pipeline that should have Edmonton in playoff contention year in and year out

4) I have decided to be POSITIVE about this hire.

#Oilers4Life

Feel the same way.

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

John Chambers:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Touché.

But I interpret that Holland has been unconvinced about a move to the Oilers because of the OBC hangers-on. I speculate that Holland is only willing to come here because a) $$$$$$, and b) he is being given license to re-structure the organization in his image, and heads will out of necessity roll.

It is the last point that offers some confidence, but yeah we’ll see.

I also assume there’s a lot of “Fuck you'” in his decision.

He was asked to sustain playoffs and he did.

Then he was asked to start the rebuild and he did.

Then he gets shuffled aside by Yz.

“Fuck You, I can still do this” probably factors heavily into his decision. That and $5MM x 5, but word is he had 3.5MM/yr in DET so he had a good spot.

I think getting Al Murray with Yz is the key to moving Holland out.

I like KG’s drafting and think he’s better than Wright but Murray is the biggest reason that TBY is in their spot of having valuable players falling out their ass.

Murray hasn’t officially said he’s coming, but its assumed right now.

If he doesn’t I’m not sure how much an upgrade Yz is over Holland.

Yz’s FA signings are uneven imo.

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ryder:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I think the major plus for Holland over Chia is that Holland groomed two of the best GMs in Stevie Y and Jim Nill, while also overseeing Babcock become arguably the best coach in the game. They all gave huge credit to Holland and were in no rush to leave Detroit for better opportunities. It’s one thing to talk the talk about good culture and transparency within an org but it’s a whole other thing to see it infused in your staff and brought to other organizations. Sappy but true statement: “Judge a man not by how he treats his equals but by how he treats his inferiors”

These are good points.

I’m hopeful about Holland.

I’ve learned not to be too hopeful though.

4. Georgexs says:

Nit64: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NHL_Entry_Draft numbers the picks, shows the forfeit and has extensive notes. then have 150, but enough detail that you should be able to check the notes.

Thank you. Apparently, by the CBA at the time, teams got a compensatory pick in the second round for failing to sign earlier first round picks.

5. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I am a bit concerned about what is happening in Tampa, because we’re looking like competitors for organizational personnel.

They’ve haven’t even hired Brisebois’s replacement yet, and now have apparently lost Verbeek to Yzerman and possibly Murray too.

They’ve got some hiring to do, as does New Holland.

But it is nice getting a rolodex that isn’t limited to Katz’s old hockey card collection.

6. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: Is this true?

He played 2/3 of his time with Vlasic this past season – that would not be third pairing, would it?

As an aside, Vlasic has a 69% goal share with Heed and 39% without him. Heed was approacing 70% both with and without Vlasic and his poession numbers are similar – Vlasic was better with Heed and Heed very good both with and without Vlasic:

Ok but logic dictates that if he is/was that good why is San Jose letting him go to free agency?
    Unlike our management San Jose management seems quite astute. If they felt he had value they would have moved him or will in a trade or for a draft choice prior to July first. It would also be logical that they have already made him what the team considers a fair offer which he has declined. Given the above my question is valid unless you believe he is the answer for second pairing right D. Given age and small sample size of success once again why? Last year I would have been all in on your idea. This year a hard pass.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

DBO:
    I’ll reserve judgement on Holland until after the draft. Hope he brings Verbeek, and clears some old boys.

McKenzie stated on his podcast late last week that Verbeek has agreed to join Yzerman in Detroit.

8. HugThePost says:

so who thinks Holland will have so much insight into the mood of the fans he will immediately fire a few of the BOTB just for the sake of gaining confidence back from the fanbase? I mean it would be easy to just can Howson level guys right away, but who thinks Holland will be so bold as to publicly show someone like MacT the door? Or maybe Lowe?

Woodguy v2.0: I also assume there’s a lot of “Fuck you’” in his decision.

He was asked to sustain playoffs and he did.

Then he was asked to start the rebuild and he did.

Then he gets shuffled aside by Yz.

“Fuck You, I can still do this” probably factors heavily into his decision.That and $5MM x 5, but word is he had 3.5MM/yr in DET so he had a good spot.

I think getting Al Murray with Yz is the key to moving Holland out.

Murray hasn’t officially said he’s coming, but its assumed right now.

If he doesn’t I’m not sure how much an upgrade Yz is over Holland.

Yz’s FA signings are uneven imo.

This is a great post.

10. Admiral Ackbar says:

Great to see discussion about Zetterberg and Datsyuk. They’ve got others to add to that list of drafting low and developing into competent if not Hall of Fame calibre. This happens with a lot more than simply an air of respectability. The Wings have an internal organizational competency of:

1. Drafting extremely well – incredible amateur scouting, especially in Sweden
    2. Developing a player to their ceiling – whether acquired via draft or trade (I’m referring to Cleary, Maltby, etc.)
    3. Maintain an adept farm system stocked with kids salivating over big league minutes.

How many teams honestly excel at all of these? Chicago 2006-2016 were close (look at how much talent they were able to trade away and still win – Buff, Ladd, Panarin). Detroit did this for decades and it involved a lot of the head office. I hope Holland realizes what made him so successful. I hope he also understands how much the game has changed in the past 5 years and which player attributes actually confer a strategic advantage (it’s not heavy hockey ;).

11. unca miltie says:

The more I think about it, the more I like the hire. lots of good points made especially the comments about mentoring Yzerman and Nill.

12. Admiral Ackbar says:

I’ll be looking forward to the Oilers drafting hall of fame wingers in the 7th round.

13. Bryan says:

Admiral Ackbar:

I’ll settle for the 4th round.😊

14. Maoriduvpoojt says:

Pouzar: For me an early tell will be who he fires/hires before the draft.

If it’s status quo bring out the pitchforks.

I don’t expect much will be done until after the Draft.

15. Bulging Twine says:

Woodguy v2.0: I also assume there’s a lot of “Fuck you’” in his decision.

He was asked to sustain playoffs and he did.

Then he was asked to start the rebuild and he did.

Then he gets shuffled aside by Yz.

I think getting Al Murray with Yz is the key to moving Holland out.

Murray hasn’t officially said he’s coming, but its assumed right now.

If he doesn’t I’m not sure how much an upgrade Yz is over Holland.

Yz’s FA signings are uneven imo.

Clearly Al Murray is the man Nicholson should offer 5 x $5 to

16. Nit64 says:

unca miltie:
    The more I think about it, the more I like the hire. lots of good points made especially the comments about mentoringYzerman and Nill.Hopefully K. Gretzky is still around to get mentored as well.63 is not that old in today’s world , He’s younger than Hitch or for that matter, quite a bit younger than me. I still work productively just don’t make 5 million a year..

If he really wants to mentor KG that’s a good thing whether or not KG ever moves up.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Maoriduvpoojt: I don’t expect much will be done until after the Draft.

18. Primetime says:

Maoriduvpoojt: I don’t expect much will be done until after the Draft.

I don’t know. The biggest power play he can make to signal his independence to the league would be sitting at that draft table WITHOUT Howson and MacT there with him for the first time in a decade.

Plus immediately after the draft is free agency which is “go time” for the pro side. If the assumption is that they leave Kretz and the amateur side alone for now going into the draft, the earlier he has his people in place on the pro side the better prepared they are for immediately after the draft.

If Holland’s plan is to maintain status quo on the pro side as well, then as Pouzar stated “Get the pitchforks out”

19. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar: I would expect the head coach to be hired – maybe decisions on Yawny, Gulutzan and Viverios.

Several current and former players have stated publicly that “Yes, who the current coach is plays a big part in the decision to sign as a free agent”.
    It’s vital that the Oilers have their head coach in place prior to July 1.
    Like free agents need an additional reason to avoid Edmonton

20. Dr. Taboggan says:

Holland’s first move should be to take a poll of everyone in management. All those who were in favour of the Hall or Reinhart trades should be fired immediately.

21. Pescador says:

Primetime: I don’t know.The biggest power play he can make to signal his independence to the league would be sitting at that draft table WITHOUT Howson and MacT there with him for the first time in a decade.

Plus immediately after the draft is free agency which is “go time” for the pro side.If the assumption is that they leave Kretz and the amateur side alone for now going into the draft, the earlier he has his people in place on the pro side the better prepared they are for immediately after the draft.

Bob Green & Kretzky should be front & center though.

22. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

I hope Holland means we can haz Russians now

23. Todd Macallan says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:
    I hope Holland means we can haz Russians now

Along those lines, I’m excited to see how differently he handles Jesse now.

24. BONE207 says:

Pescador: Poor LaFontaine
    I myself have suffered from Wang incompetence

Don’t they call that ED now?

25. BONE207 says:

Ben:
    The Holland move would be a lot easier to take if he was coming in to mentor an up-and-coming innovator like Dubas (a la Lou).

But instead he’s coming in to mentor Chiarelli’s former right-hand-man.

My last vestiges of hope are tied to potential announcements around analytics/data science/AI. (And I am very prepared for the org to once again use this hope as a low-rent colostomy bag).

It’s comments like this on important events surrounding this team that keep me reading daily. Great job.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Dr. Taboggan:

I guess Keith Gretzky should be safe as both trades were made prior to him joining the organization.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: Given the current roles of MacT and Howson it would be strange for them to be present at the draft table, let alone on stage with orange cake pop.
    Bob Green & Kretzky should be front & center though.

Why would it be strange? They are both in hockey ops with a mandate relating to prospects and prospect development – not directly amateur scouting and procurement but involved in the Condors and player development

Extrapolating on that, how strange has it been for Lowe to be there over the last number of years. I actually do believe he has nothing to do with hockey ops (although he made some amazing moves as GM back leading up to the 2006 cup run).

Lastly, totally meaningless but maybe, just maybe, the giant Harrison Katz isn’t involved?

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Todd Macallan: Along those lines, I’m excited to see how differently he handles Jesse now.

Isn’t much Holland can do as he’s not going to expose him to waivers – he needs to sign him from $1.25M (give or take) and then its on the coach that he hires.

In my opinion the key to his handling is being provided with consistent linemates (anywhere in the top 9) and consistent even strength minutes (and likely at least PP2 time). Jesse needs to play, get comfortable and gain traction – I don’t care if his center is McDavid, Drai or Nuge but it needs to be one and it needs to stay consistent for a great period of time. If Jesse is struggling and showing no signs of improving over last year at the 30 game mark, well, then decisions will need to be made.

Let the kid play – he turns 21 this coming week.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Isn’t much Holland can do as he’s not going to expose him to waivers – he needs to sign him for $1.25M (give or take) and then its on the coach that he hires.

Let the kid play – he turns 21 this coming week – when he scores his 20th goal this coming year, if its in the states, he’ll be able to celebrate with a beer!

30. jzed says:

1st item on Holland’s list. That real estate junket with Katz and Lucic with a sleep over at Benning’s Place.

31. slopitch says:

Bryan: I’ll settle for the 4th round.

Ill settle for gf% and cf% away from McDavid. Baby steps!

32. Munny says:

I’m expecting Cersei to have a killer forecheck this GOT.

33. Pescador says:

BONE207: Don’t they call that ED now?

I would also accept IBS

34. Bulging Twine says:

Verified account

@TSNRyanRishaug
    2m2 minutes ago
    Can confirm Ken Holland has officially accepted the job as Oilers General Manager. An official announcement to come in the next few days.

35. slopitch says:

OriginalPouzar,

U pretty much nailed it

Remember that time Slats traded Bonsignore for Hamrlik? Id also settle for a trade like that 😉

36. commonfan29 says:

Woodguy v2.0: I also assume there’s a lot of “Fuck you’” in his decision.

He was asked to sustain playoffs and he did.

Then he was asked to start the rebuild and he did.

Then he gets shuffled aside by Yz.

Wonder what side Datsyuk takes in that squabble. Isn’t he FA?

37. oilersfan says:

Rod Pedersen wrote on his blog today that now he believes there may be truth to the rumour that Dave Tippett will be the coach

38. oilersfan says:

Also, for all the sound bites about the red wings being called out, $15 million of it is on LTIR

I don’t think Holland was that bad his last few years.

He was at the end of the cycle without a top 10 pick in 25 years where was he supposed to get the talent?

39. v4ance says:

If Al Murray is coming in as Head of Professional Scouting, then does that mean Duane Sutter is out?

Beyond Sutter, others who might merit a departure from the organization are Bill Scott, Head of Cap Management, and Bob Green since I believe he was the driving force behind the Reinhart acquisition. As the former GM of the Edmonton Oil Kings, I’d think he was the key voice recommending Reinhart to Chiarelli. Howson doesn’t appear to be a good pro talent evaluator (Nikitin) so i think he could be replaced easily

And as much as MacTavish is lumped in with the OBC, I think he should be kept around for the amateur development side. I believe he has a hand in how well the Condors have performed this year.

40. Professor Q says:

commonfan29: Wonder what side Datsyuk takes in that squabble. Isn’t he FA?

Now wouldn’t that be something, eh?

Not just Datsyuk with McDavid, but Datsyuk on the same team as Nuge!

41. OriginalPouzar says:

Massive game for Guelph tonight – down 0-2 – a must win essentially.

Coming back from 3-0 and 3-1 against London and Saginaw was (is) extremely impressive but neither of those teams are Ottawa – the cream of the OHL – Guelph needs to win tonight.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Speaking of Datsyuk and Nuge and, given their comparisons in style of play, I think its interesting to note that Datsyuk didn’t break 51 points in the NHL until he was 25 when he got 68 points, one less than Nuge got this past season. His offensive break out, with 87 points, didn’t occur until he was 27.

43. gimme shelter says:

I woke up at 3 AM and checked SB nation Detroit for the low down on Kenneth. Not Good. Peter Chiarelli #2. He cannot manage CAP.That is vital in this day and age.. More so than drafting or hiring.I believe sb nation Detroit more than the up coming media spin. And he”s cheap,25 million. Do you not think we could pay players that.money.
    I am definetly depressed. BOB should not be left in charge of hiring GM”s. Get a professional head hunting outfit. Instead it”s Hockey Canada.The other thing is Peter was fired by Boston. Ken was within a hair of being fired as well.BOB loves recent firee”s Maybe because he expects to be fired himself.

44. T0ML says:

Just a few references on this from a little old lurker like myself…

– The money being paid is not part of the cap, not sure how you think it would go to players … It is purely Katz decision and he seems to be an owner willing to drop money (right or wrong) …. zero implications of this on player spending. Different budget

– SB Nation is not exactly the most insightful …. If you follow up with looking at the body of work after Mr. I passed, you get a much better picture of Holland. His drafting, contracts, etc. improved markedly once the push was not to keep the streak alive.

– Ken got moved up stairs to make room for Steve Y … Doubt if Steve Y was in Tampa still that Ken would have gotten fired / moved up stairs.

– The isnt exactly an industry where a head hunter would work to find a GM … 31 , well I guess 32, jobs total …. with maybe 60 or 80 people qualified to fill them at any given time…

– Who would you have wanted picked instead?

gimme shelter:

45. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ben,

I’ll bet the successful scouting departments of the next decade won’t bother making this inane distinction between eyeballs and math. It will be packaged together to create a far more consistent and coherent player performance review

Most of them don’t already.

The smart teams have integrated data analysis into their player analysis for all levels.

The whole “eyeballs vs math” only exists in a few minds, most of whom don’t work in hockey.

46. hags9k says:

I find myself seeing similarities between the Holland hiring and the Lucic signing.

For so many years it was: “We need size and toughness that can play, a Lucic type.”

We end up signing the actual Lucic but past his prime.

For so many years: “ We need to draft and develop like Detroit. The Detroit Model. The Detroit Model.”

We end up signing the actual Detroit Model. Past his prime? We wait, but at first glance for me this looks like business as usual.

47. russ99 says:

v4ance,

MacTavish directly ran player development as his role as VP,

He ran Bakersfield into the ground, he rushed all of our top prospects, he didn’t give Jesse the post draft support he needed.

This year’s results in Bakersfield is all due to K. Gretzky’s drafting and Woodcroft’s coaching and day to day player management.

MacT deserves to go as much as the rest of them. If Katz insists, give him a role outside of hockey ops.

« Older Comments