Burning Daylight

Ken Holland is the new general manager of the Edmonton Oilers. Fans and observers got a look at him yesterday (he was energetic, engaging and forthright) but the real work begins today and all the days that come. This is going to be an insane run through May, June and early July. This team has been running in place for some time, and now every minute that passes is burning daylight. It’s go time.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group.INSANE NEW OFFER IS HERE!

• New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ken Holland steadfast that buck stops with him as new Oilers GM.
  • New Eric Duhatschek: Why any talk of Ken Holland being yesterday’s man should be put to rest.
  • Lowetide: How will Ken Holland proceed in Year 1 as Oilers general manager?
  • Jonathan Willis: What does the arrival of Ken Holland mean for the Oilers coaching search?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Prioritizing the roster issues that await Ken Holland in Edmonton.
  • Lowetide: Ken Holland’s Bakersfield production line: Elevating Jones and how long will success take?
  • Lowetide: Ken Holland’s procurement list for his rumored move to Edmonton will include front-office personnel
  • Jonathan Willis: A Milan Lucic trade is at the top of the to-do list for the Oilers’ next GM.
  • Lowetide: Should Oilers practice more patience in adding Evan Bouchard to the roster?
  • Jonathan Willis: Is Ken Holland yesterday’s man or the ideal GM candidate for the Oilers?
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi and his uncertain future with the Oilers
  • Lowetide: ‘I see something special’: Are Oilers prepared to make Caleb Jones a fixture on the roster next season?
  • Jonathan Willis: Gritty comeback performance sends Edmonton’s farm team to the second round of the AHL playoffs.
  • Lowetide: Dylan Cozens might be ideal fit for Oilers at No. 8 overall in the 2019 draft
  • New Lowetide: Is this the season the Oilers take the plunge and draft a USHL player in the first round?
  • Lowetide: Red Wings front office shuffle could impact Oilers’ future.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ten prospects likely to be available when the Oilers make their first-round pick

THE DRAFT

One of the major areas Holland will focus is the draft. Detroit selects No. 6, the Oilers go No. 8. We’re through the U18’s now, so lists are coming into view. Here is my updated top 10 (I’ll have the complete update on the weekend) with NHLE’s:

Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko will go 1-2, and it’s a good bet Bowen Byram and Alex Turcotte will be chosen inside the top-5 overall. After that, things get interesting. Los Angeles could go any number of ways, I’ll suggest one of Dach, Cozens or Zegras land in California.

Detroit has chosen from the QMJHL (twice), USHL, BCHL and WHL in the first round over the last five seasons. They could go anywhere. Let’s predict LAK take Dach and the DRW choose Zegras at No. 6 overall. Buffalo is No. 7, I think the Sabres might choose Cole Caufield. He’s one dimensional but goal scorers are beyond the moon valuable.

That leaves Cozens, Krebs and Kaliyev available among my top 10. Edmonton isn’t likely to choose Kaliyev but the other two men are attractive options. Here’s my updated 11-20 just for the fun of it.

Connor McMichael, like Valiyev, should get top-10 consideration but I don’t believe either man will be chosen that high. I can see Alex Newhook being drafted by the Oilers, but they could trade down to get him. The NHLE I use doesn’t project Boldy as the offensive equal of the men in my top 10 (Bobby Brink is the next man up in NHLE for the USNDTP).

You may look at those NHLE’s for Swedish defensemen and wonder if I’ve gone mad. Call it the “Klefbom rule” but the Swedish blue have more offense than their boxcars imply, especially the teenagers.

TRADING DOWN

Word is he was already heavily invested in this draft (in terms of scouting). Holland may want to trade down, adding more picks. He did exactly that in 2013, dealing No. 18 to San Jose so the Sharks could draft Mirco Mueller. Detroit received the No. 20 (Anthony Mantha) and No. 58 (Tyler Bertuzzi). Suspect Edmonton picks at No. 8.

The problem with handicapping the coaching competition is Holland knows the hockey world, so shopping for a coach is a global enterprise. Tippett would lead a word cloud easily based on media mentions, we’ll assume he is the front runner until further notice.

One name that may make sense: Jay Woodcroft. I read a rumor yesterday that he would be joining Todd McLellan’s staff in Los Angeles, and if you’re the Oilers that’s someone you don’t want to lose. Ideally Woodcroft would percolate on the farm for two more years but Edmonton may not have the luxury. Todd Nelson is the early, popular choice, and for good reason. He was effective in Edmonton the first time, but lost to a more famous Todd.

DARYL KATZ

He stood and delivered. He took ownership of the past, and did it in a way that no one could doubt his sincerity.

He also looked far different than the last time we saw him, to the point of concern. When a media avail occurs, I listen to the radio and make copious notes (three full pages of typing yesterday). So, the television was on in the room but I didn’t see Katz until someone drew attention to his appearance.

It was a stark difference and alarming, in my opinion. I benefited from not seeing him (only hearing audio) when he gave his opening comments. When I checked twitter, there was of course a lot of positive, negative and cruel content.

After John Shannon’s tweet, lots of previous content disappeared and people tweeted regret, acknowledging the inappropriate tweets. This was followed by a series of “I’m disgusted by all of you who did this!” verbal and twitter was off and running on about 20 levels.

Here’s my take on the behavior yesterday. No one knew. It was shocking. I was working but reacted with shock and concern (we talked about it on the Lowdown right after the avail). I can understand why people would be alarmed, and further accept that some of us as a group would post things beyond what is considered good taste. Let he/she who has never done it cast the first stone. I can tell you there are several moments in my past that bring me shame when I think of them, doubt it’s unique to me.

The people who posted those things online felt bad, pretty much 100 percent sure it was universal. WHO would deliberately tweet something so cruel? Here’s the thing: They didn’t know, they were alarmed, they tweeted beyond the pale content. Before you shame them, understand they’re already there. If you did shame them, I would encourage you to think through your own past, to those moments in time I mentioned above, where maybe you did something hurtful and offensive.

We’re all learning together, friends. We all are susceptible to mistakes, going beyond the boundaries of good taste, feeling shame, learning about ourselves. Next time, my guess is that a lot of good people will think better of it, but a lot of other people will need to experience that moment of regret again, or maybe for the first time. What the world doesn’t need is someone to drop by with a “for all those losers out there…” to make people feel bad. You know why? They’re already there, and the person calling them out has no moral high ground based on their own past. Maybe Mother Teresa, after that we’re all equally prone to a misstep. Pretty sure.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. The thing about a day like yesterday is so much happened we’re still digesting it. That’s why having Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal at 10:20 is a gift. We’ll discuss the key points in yesterday’s avail and what it means for Oilers fans. James Herbert from CBS Sports will drop by to talk Raptors and NBA playoffs, while Jon Campbell from OddsShark talks Ken Holland, the Kentucky Derby DQ plus NHL and NBA playoffs. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

157 Responses to "Burning Daylight"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Big game for the Condors tonight – they don’t want to go down 3-1 in the series.

The new GM is in the building a guys like Marody (if he is healthy), Benson, Joe G. P. Russell, Lagesson, Bear, Jones, Bouchard and Starrett would do well for their 2019 paychecks by having plus games.

Wow, look at that list – those are all players with real chances to play NHL hockey on merit this coming season – obviously different ceilings (P. Russell as a bottom line energy guy and Bouchard with top pairing potential).

Holland spoke about the need for cheap role players that open things up for the more talented – P. Russell and Joe G. could do their careers big services by having a great couple of games (no doubt they will – they are both pretty consistently good at the AHL level).

2. Rondo says:

Bob Stauffer
    @Bob_Stauffer

Six names that COULD be in the mix as Oilers Head Coach:

Dave Tippett
    Glen Gulutzan
    Trent Yawney
    Jay Woodcroft
    Todd Nelson
    Lane Lambert

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I am far from a guru on draft eligible prospects but, from accounts, the second tier runs from 3-8 (potentially one or two spots longer depending on how many “off the board” picks are made ala Kotkaniemi and Hayton) and, from the same accounts, among the forwards in that tier, there is very little if any to choose. That means, to me, that, essentially, the 8th pick is really no different than the fourth pick and trading down even 2 more spots hits a materially inferior tier.

Not saying that a trade down is out of the question but the sweetener needs to be material.

OriginalPouzar:

If Bakersfield loses tonight, they’re down 3-0 in the series. Right?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

“If the Oilers are offered a young NHL winger for the No. 8 overall pick, is it worth more to Ken Holland than Cozens or Krebs? We don’t know the new general manager well enough to say with any authority. We can say the last time Holland dealt a first-round pick was 2016, when offloading Pavel Datsyuk’s cap money to move down four spots.”

——————————————

8th for an established winger – I understand the premise of the trade but Holland needs to contemplate the expansion draft ramifications as well as the future cap implications (losing the ELC, cost-controlled, value contract years). Not saying those are deal-breakers on their own if there is a good trade but factors and important factors. I’m confident that Holland will/would give those matters their due credence.

OriginalPouzar:
    I am far from a guru on draft eligible prospects but, from accounts, the second tier runs from 3-8 (potentially one or two spots longer depending on how many “off the board” picks are made ala Kotkaniemi and Hayton) and, from the same accounts, among the forwards in that tier, there is very little if any to choose.That means, to me, that, essentially, the 8th pick is really no different than the fourth pick and trading down even 2 more spots hits a materially inferior tier.

OriginalPouzar:

——————————————

8th for an established winger – I understand the premise of the trade but Holland needs to contemplate the expansion draft ramifications as well as the future cap implications (losing the ELC, cost-controlled, value contract years). Not saying those are deal-breakers on their own if there is a good trade but factors and important factors.I’m confident that Holland will/would give those matters their due credence.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Why would Woodcroft want to go back and work under McLellan again? I’m sure they are great friends and enjoy working together but is that the right career move for him if he wants to be an NHL head coach?

What gets him closer to an NHL head coaching job – going back to being a assistant coach in the NHL or continuing as a head coach in the AHL?

I don’t actually know the answer to that question but I would think its option (b).

If Woody is contemplating leaving, I would think the NHL head coach hire will be a major factor – an old guy like Tippet probably keeps him here (he would see a succession plan) but if its a young up and coming, like Sheldon Keefe or Todd Nelson – he may indeed want to go to another organization

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Apologies for multiple posts this morning (tough to ignore, I’m sorry) and for some positive thoughts on the management and the way forward – I know that, notwithstanding the stated desire for diversity of opinion, positivity towards management shows ignorance, a lack of critical thinking and is just plain wrong and frowned upon. I’ll try and become a better and more intellectual person to keep up.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Anton Lander just signed a 2-year deal with Lokomotiv – wonder if it has an NHL out clause. Recall, Landers’ small sample size of NHL productivity came when Nelson was running the team. Its a stretch to predict Nelson as and Oiler and then bringing back Lander but I wouldn’t be against Lander competing for the 4C spot.

Joe G./Lander/PRV – yes, Magnus!

11. Alpine says:

Rondo:
    Bob Stauffer
    @Bob_Stauffer

Six names that COULD be in the mix as Oilers Head Coach:

Dave Tippett
    Glen Gulutzan
    Trent Yawney
    Jay Woodcroft
    Todd Nelson
    Lane Lambert

I like the Lane Lambert suggestion. Paid his dues in the CHL and AHL, winning record in Milwaukee and a bunch of years apprenticing under Trotz with three different rosters.

12. DBO says:

Maroon = Beauty
    Can’t be anything but excited for the Big Rig. Hope he gets a multi year deal in St. Louis.

Holland = steady
    He instantly raises the team’s credibility with free agents and other management teams. Katz referenced it. Main reason he is here, so that we are not a joke in the hockey world anymore. Expect he won’t make any “bold” moves to start. Which should make LT happy.

Hoping for Nelson or Woodcroft as head coach. give someone a chance who relates to the younger player.

13. PinkSocks says:

Lowetide: If Bakersfield loses tonight, they’re down 3-0 in the series. Right?

They get 1 victory for Holland being in attendance.

14. defmn says:

Amen.

15. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Losing Jay would be in some sense a shame: but I attribute most of the success in the AHL to having a lot of talent. He’s a young guy with family: moving to LA for more money is pretty much a no-brainer

– His path to head coach in the Oilers is going to be blocked by whoever Holland hires (Holland historically works a long-time with his Coach).

– But if Jay is offered say assistant role in Edmonton from new Coach, vs. assistant in L.A.: it boils down to which team will be better next few years to allow Jay to become NHL head coach.

– The opportunity for Holland to go through a process (and hopefully teach Bob what “hiring process” means) and pick the coach that he’s going to work with is significant.

– Presumably it works out better than the last time the GM was able to pick a coach in his mould: MacT and Dallas. Chia didn’t “hire” Todd: MacT and Bob had laid the groundwork, and Chia flew over to Europe to sign-off, shortly after getting hired himself. There was always a disconnect between Coach and GM: alignment will help a lot

* found it interesting that Coach is getting paid 5 x 5 in L.A….nice rebound

16. PinkSocks says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Why would Woodcroft want to go back and work under McLellan again?I’m sure they are great friends and enjoy working together but is that the right career move for him if he wants to be an NHL head coach?

Many people just don’t want to take the top dog position. If Woodcroft does leave for LA, it’s just because he is more comfortable as an assistant. He may not desire the pressure of being an NHL head coach, however, if he does have that as his future goal, his best step forward is to remain in Bakersfield and hope for another strong season.

17. PinkSocks says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – Losing Jay would be in some sense a shame: but I attribute most of the success in the AHL to having a lot of talent.He’s a young guy with family: moving to LA for more money is pretty much a no-brainer

18. Professor Q says:

PinkSocks: I am very interested to see how Woodcroft does next year if he loses all of Benson, Marody, and Jones, possibly even Starrett, to graduation.

19. Melvis says:

OriginalPouzar:

Grow up.

20. YKOil says:

OriginalPouzar:

——————————————

I actually view the 1st rounder as being very desirable given how Caulfield et al have pushed themselves into the top-10 discussion so I could see, pending on how Holland sees some of his legacy players on the Wings, there being a trade where he trades the 1st in order to:

a. dump a problem and
    b. get some kind of a fix on the wing and
    c. get a later draft pick

at the same time.

21. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

PinkSocks,

– Jay did say that when he was offered the job in the AHL, he felt and was told by many that he needs to be head-coach if he’s ever going to become a NHL head-coach

– And following up what you said: the Condors have amongst the most “talent” in the AHL: not sure how much of that really is on Jay (or any AHL coach, who is beholden to whatever roster they get given to them and prospects on the team, vs. call-ups, organization philosophy for farm team etc)

– The goal of the AHL for most teams is to develop talent: to the extent the “coaching” influences winning in AHL: I have my doubts

22. defmn says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

23. tileguy says:

Too much work to be done for any bold moves right now. If I was a gm on another team though, I would be calling Ken and seeing what I could get for taking one of the albatross contracts. I can just imagine the deluge of info Ken would receive from every floor and office in the OEM headquarters by employees wanting to undo the last 4 years. He will quickly learn about the gong show he has entered.

24. Bar_Qu says:

Good words about piling on to someone who has already shown remorse for poorly chosen remarks. Twitter behavior is about the level I see everyday at work in junior high. Lots of great moments, separated by seas of poor choices in communication. I always remind myself when viewing these kids that I would myself never want to be judged on how I behaved at 14. I apply the same thing to twitter – even though it is adults doing these things, the medium encourages reactive behavior over thoughtfulness. We have all made that mistake.

I hope Nelson gets hired, if only to right the wrong of his dismissal. He’s a good coach, and I think he has a better feel for the European kids than the Oilers coaches who preceded and followed him. He could only do good for Jesse P, imo.

25. DocFan says:

Reading further into the issue with Katz – he is likely lucky to be alive.
    Hindsight allows us to understand the reclusive nature he has had over the last few years.

I saw him in Palm Springs during Game 5 of the Oilers / Sharks Series and couldn’t understand why he wasn’t with the team. I wrongly assumed he wasn’t that invested (emotionally).

Good opportunity for us all to think about how we never really know what someone else is going through and time usually provides insight.

26. Darth Tu says:

Lowetide: If Edmonton has that board (top 8 are significantly better than the rest) of course they shouldn’t trade down. I don’t see this draft that way, for me the falloff comes at No. 11. My list has shuffled no. 8-10 throughout the spring.

I’d be more than happy to move down from 8 to 10 if it meant either getting a decent prospect back or moving out a contract. Vancouver are at 10 aren’t they? If there’s any fire to go with that Lucic talking about playing in Vancouver “one day” smoke possibly they’d be willing to chat?

I’m not sure the Canucks do a 10+prospect or later round pick for 8+Lucic. From the Oilers side, I have zero interest in Ericsson in coming back this way as part of a Lucic move, and I’d like to think that for Holland it’s a complete non starter too.

27. Pouzar says:

Anyone else scared to death that we lose Nuge for nothing and we don’t draft his potential replacement at #8?

28. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar:

Joe G./Lander/PRV – yes, Magnus!

But I’d like to aim higher.

29. defmn says:

Bar_Qu:

Civilized nations are invaded by barbarians every single generation.

We call them children. 😉

30. Darth Tu says:

DocFan:
    Reading further into the issue with Katz – he is likely lucky to be alive.

Totally agree. I always preach to the kids that you should think before you comment, and I straight up broke my own rule yesterday. I commented that he sounded “drunk” – which was probably more a case of him being extremely sick – granted, I couldn’t see him as I was listening on the radio rather than watching the TV feed. I still feel ashamed for the comments.

31. Professor Q says:

Pouzar:

Not really.

32. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

DocFan:

– Really poor job last few years by any reporter to suss this out. I respect Katz’s privacy, Maybe last few years hes been so “negligent” because he’s been focused on survival

– I does put pause though to “What if Katz were to pass away”? What would a new owner look like?

33. Nit64 says:

defmn: Civilized nations are invaded by barbarians every single generation.

We call them children.

And they call us barbarians as soon as someone tells them how enlightened they are. 😉

34. tileguy says:

Darth Tu,

Darth Tu: I’d be more than happy to move down from 8 to 10 if it meant either getting a decent prospect back or moving out a contract.Vancouver are at 10 aren’t they?If there’s any fire to go with that Lucic talking about playing in Vancouver “one day” smoke possibly they’d be willing to chat?

I’m not sure the Canucks do a 10+prospect or later round pick for 8+Lucic.From the Oilers side, I have zero interest in Ericsson in coming back this way as part of a Lucic move, and I’d like to think that for Holland it’s a complete non starter too.

Interesting, I sure hope that where there is smoke, there is fire.

35. Professor Q says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I actually think we did hear about it though.

Might be the Mandela Effect but I think we heard about it, then forgot. I at least remember Sinus Trouble and multiple issues.

36. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

Holland’s presser did instill some hope for me. He won’t be making knee-jerk reactions with young players on the roster just to watch them turn into productive NHLers on their new teams.

37. ArmchairGM says:

Brink is ranked 33 by TSN / McKenzie. Here’s hoping he falls to 38 so Edmonton can pick up a future sniper.

38. Dr. Taboggan says:

Pouzar,

Yes. I hope the team/coach can provide Nuge at least one consistent winger this season.

39. Bag of Pucks says:

Hi LT,

Just wanted to hearken back to a couple posts i made yesterday about the possibility of this community creating & maintaining a shadow roster to measure the ongoing decision process of Lowetiders vs Oilers brass. I know you’re already doing a ton of this work already in your draft rankings, mock drafts, hard target searches, etc. With that in mind, i thought there might be a fun opportunity to collate some of these efforts around a common and fun project?

Would definitely require some rules of engagement. For example, how soon after the Oilers make a trade would a trade for a player with a comparable or lower cap hit be required to the shadow roster. But man, it opens the door for draft second guessing like never before!

Anyoo, just a thought for something that might be fun for the community and create some easy content particularly during the slower summer months. If it sounds like work, I totally get that. We all have busy lives.

40. texmex says:

Pouzar:

I can’t see RNH resigning in Edmonton to be honest. Too much baggage. Not to mention Hall and Ebs will probably be in his ear this summer at his wedding talking about the NYC life style.

41. Brantford Boy says:

LT, thanks for addressing yesterday’s posts in a tactful way.

Onto hockey… Captain Obvious says Holland will have a great idea of whom Detroit plans on taking at #6. Perhaps they want another Euro and leave Dach on the board, doubtful but dare to dream. If not, take Cozens or Krebs and make something good out of the second round.

42. Jethro Tull says:

OK, so here’s how I see it. The only bad people yesterday were the the people that stood by their off-colour comments about Katz.

Nobody should feel bad about poking a little light fun against someone you have no idea is that ill. Most of the comments are only bad through the lens of hindsight. A few would be totally unacceptable whether Katz was healthy or not. Those people would have made those comments anyway. Should you feel contrite? Maybe, I’m not you. Should you deny the feelings? Never. And don’t let anyone guilt shame you into doing so. Own ’em or they own you.

It’s not that you feel bad about the comments, but that you feel a pang of sympathy for his situation; all the missing owner type stuff in the past few weeks/months starts to make sense.

I think the Katz family probably asked to keep it quiet; the Team was distracted enough with sucking without the added weight of a potentially terminal illness.

Anyhoo, the new day is a great big fish and a leopard can change his or her shorts.

43. Nit64 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Hi LT,

Watch out Potato!

44. Bag of Pucks says:

I think LT summarized it best that Katz’s appearance after so long out of the spotlight was shocking. That shock could’ve been mitigated somewhat by the Katz Group issuing a release at some point in the previous 3 years to confirm that Mr. Katz was battling a disease. I’m a pretty private person myself so I totally get why he chose not to do that. He likely feels it’s nobody’s business but his own.

In addition to the misery of disease then, what we saw yesterday was the curse of the recluse having to live a very public life.

It’s easy to damn those expressing their shock in whatever manner, but honestly we’re all still children at heart who’ve built up a veneer of civility and comportment through years of societal shaping. Those immediate honest reactions always lie beneath the surface. It’s the same reason you often hear some of the most dumbfounding remarks at funerals. It’s folks struggling with the veneer.

You ever want to consider how truly civilized humans are? Watch mating rituals in action during last call at your average pub. Dumb dumb animals.

45. John Chambers says:

Yesterday I felt good about Ken Holland. He will bring peace to the valley.

I felt sympathy for Darryl Katz and his family. If you could live your life to make a fortune and share it with the citizens and fans of your hometown team – you have done great and noble things. May he witness McDavid lifting Stanley in the house he partially funded.

And I felt ecstatic for Paddy Marooooooooooon! God bless you, Paddy!

46. John Chambers says:

Also, say what you want about KLowe and MacT as managers – they are both well-meaning and kind-hearted men.

As it relates to Maroon, they wanted him to be in St Louis to be close to his people and his son. Well Paddy, and young Anthony, had the moment of their lives last night. It may be my second favourite Maroon highlight next to his savage beatdown of Brandon Manning.

47. nvan97 says:

Jethro Tull:
    OK, so here’s how I see it.The only bad people yesterday were the the people that stood by their off-colour comments about Katz.

Nobody should feel bad about poking a little light fun against someone you have no idea is that ill.Most of the comments are only bad through the lens of hindsight.A few would be totally unacceptable whether Katz was healthy or not.Those people would have made those comments anyway.Should you feel contrite?Maybe, I’m not you.Should you deny the feelings? Never.And don’t let anyone guilt shame you into doing so.Own ’em or they own you.

Yeah, I’ve gotta disagree with this. What it seems your are suggesting is that if he wasn’t sick it would be acceptable to criticize his appearance and that’s a weird way to defend poor behaviour. I don’t understand how it would ever be appropriate to judge another person in that way. Would you tell your kids it’s fair to make fun of someone or criticize their looks as long as they aren’t sick? Very, very few of the comments I read were made out of concern. Virtually no one was asking if he was ok.
    I’m not one to cast stones because I went through a phase in my life when I wasn’t kind but I’m certainly not out here defending my actions.

48. Alpine says:

texmex: If they don’t / can’t resign RNH next summer, I think they trade him for fear of losing him for nothing.

Both those guys liked Edmonton though and they grew up partly in Alberta or out west anyways. Hall was devastated and bitter about leaving Edmonton.

49. Pescador says:

tileguy:
    Too much work to be done for any bold moves right now. If I was a gm on another team though, I would be calling Ken and seeing what I could get for taking one of the albatross contracts.I can just imagine the deluge of info Ken would receive from every floor and office in the OEM headquarters by employees wanting to undo the last 4 years. He will quickly learn about the gong show he has entered.

Write down everything that you’re told and then fire everyone
    who thought they could protect themselves by blaming others.
    I bet Howson is the first to knock on KH’s door

50. sumaclab says:

Lavoie from the Halifax Mooseheads.RW Center 6’4.

51. Pescador says:

You realize Nuge lives in Red Deer of all places during the off season.
    His future wife is from there, his mom lives in small town BC.
    Nuge doesn’t strike me as a big city guy.
    Winning cures all,
    I have faith in the new GM & you will too when he starts firing Jag-offs

52. TeeVee says:

John Shannon:

😉

53. SkatinginSand says:

OriginalPouzar,

I would like to thank you for your contributions to this site. It is often extremely difficult to be positive about this team, but I enjoy the fact that you mostly choose to accentuate the positive. Even when I disagree with your view, I appreciate perspective and thought processes.

I would like to add that intelligently attacking ideas is part of discussion. Attacking people because of their ideas is boorish. There is plenty to be negative about with this team. If someone chooses not to go down that path, it should be cherished, not derided.

54. Ben says:

Not sure what the Oilers would have to add to do that (maybe swap picks? a 2nd?), but that could be a fantastic solution.

You’d retain 1.5 on Lucic, run Sutter to test for a bounce-back year at 3C, if he’s done buy him out next summer for $2M/$1.1M.

Dare to dream…

55. proudpapa says:

SkatinginSand,

I couldn’t agree more. Well said!

56. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

John Chambers:

– This might be true: but allow me to say waht I want as them as managers, and make inferences to their caracter as a result: they are very arrogant and entitled and out of touch. MacT’s firing by Skype of Ralph after lying about getting Kruger more help says a lot. Thinking he had to go behind the bench with Todd gives insight into his beliefs. MacT would be an awesome TV guy a la Burke:

– Lowe in that presser, defiant, with all his rings. Challenging people publicly to fights. Their collective entitlement, and leaking of things to serve their purposes, always firing outsiders to protect themselves, never casting nets to get good people

– They for sure want the Oil to win, and have been paid handsomely for years to either have no involvement, or meddling, or agreeing with the mess the org is in:

– If Katz wasn’t the owner, they would be like Tabellini, Chia, etc: and out of Senior NHL Hockey at management level on merit.

57. Pescador says:

John Chambers:

Very happy for Maroon and I hope St.Lou rewards him with a nice contract.
    Pretty hard to top that interview he gave to Principe after he scored the winner & the Oilers beat the blues in his hometown. The video of his son cheering him on, still chokes me up.
    That’s was my favorite

58. Darth Tu says:

Ben:

Dare to dream…

I did not hear that. I’d be highly tempted by a move in that direction, Sutter’s contract is over in 2 years, that helps out immeasurably with getting the up and comers resigned. How bad is his injury history though?

59. Ben says:

Darth Tu: I did not hear that.I’d be highly tempted by a move in that direction, Sutter’s contract is over in 2 years, that helps out immeasurably with getting the up and comers resigned.How bad is his injury history though?

He’s had hernia surgery on both sides. Shoulder stuff. Broken jaw shouldn’t factor in. But definitely some risk there.

60. Woodguy v2.0 says:

John Chambers:

Pete traded Maroon to NJD.

He signed as a FA in STL.

How do Lowe and MacT factor into this?

Did they say something after he signed in STL?

61. texmex says:

Pescador: Winning cures all,

He’s as good as gone then!! ;p

62. JimmyV1965 says:

The bacteria resistant sinus infection that afflicts Katz is just one example of the growing issue of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Although this type of deadly sinus infection has been around forever, and although it is extremely rare, deadly infections like this are becoming more prevalent. More than 23,000 Americans die annually from drug resistant bacteria and that number will keep growing as superbugs develop even greater immunity to our strongest antibiotics. I’m always shocked when I see antibacterial soaps still on grocery store shelves.

defmn: I doubt there will be much “hiring process” in Holland’s head coaching choice. He has been doing this for a long time. I am pretty sure he already knows who he wants.

64. John Chambers says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Haha, admittedly there’s a logical leap there.

I had beers with an old teammate of MacT’s and he was telling me how despite the Oilers wanting to keep Maroon around they wanted to help him get home. There were plenty of contract extension discussions, but in the end it didn’t come down to money and the Oilers understood that (not like there was any to begin with).

Needless to say you can’t make a player sign with you, nor did they trade him to his end destination, so this is all heresay on the sentiment.

65. Munny says:

Ben: Anyone hear Stauffer and Spec speculating about Lucic for Brandon Sutter yesterday?

I did. Stauffer interrupted Spec and threw it out there when Spec was about to talk about Ericksson (I think It was Ericksson, Bob cut him off pretty fast).

66. Nit64 says:

JimmyV1965:

FDA banned triclosan. Health Canada decided otherwise.

Plain soap is enough.

geowal: Lander failed because of slow boots and lack of NHL finish. I doubt either have substantially improved, but if he’s up for a PTO I guess he’s welcome to try.
    But I’d like to aim higher.

Dumping PItlick and Lander was lousy talent recognition and evaluation, and poor cap management.

I don’t think Lander comes back to the NHL. He can be a top six forward in the KHL for a long time for the same money as being a 4th line role player, and struggling to keep the job on a yearly basis.

68. bendelson says:

Question for the gang:

Oilers 2019 1st rd pick for Ehlers… 1 for 1.
    Is this a ‘reasonable’ trade for both teams?
    (I am leaning towards yes).

69. Munny says:

Despite his comments about shopping down the discount aisles of the local UFA, New Holland has to have interest in Nyquist, if the Sharks let him get to July 1 (they have Big & Little Joe to sign plus Donskoi).

Mrazek too, if the Canes are lax.

Why trade a player playing for a new contract in the last year of his contract? That last year has incredible value for money. If somebody makes a great offer, sure. But this notion that one should trade good-but-not-elite players rather than keeping then for the last year is somewhat wrong-headed in a hard cap world. One would not be losing him for nothing. One is getting $6 million in cap space.

Brantford Boy:
    LT, thanks for addressing yesterday’s posts in a tactful way.

Onto hockey… Captain Obvious says Holland will have a great idea of whom Detroit plans on taking at #6.Perhaps they want another Euro and leave Dach on the board, doubtful but dare to dream.If not, take Cozens or Krebs and make something good out of the second round.

I’d take Cozens and Krebs over Dach.

72. JimmyV1965 says:

Pescador: You realize Nuge lives in Red Deer of all places during the off season.
    His future wife is from there, his mom lives in small town BC.
    Nuge doesn’t strike me as a big city guy.
    Winning cures all,
    I have faith in the new GM & you will too when he starts firing Jag-offs

73. defmn says:

godot10: Holland will use it as an opportunity to talk to coaches he doesn’t know well, even if he already has a guy in mind.

That makes sense.

It is just what Nicholson did as soon as he knew Holland was interested.

74. Munny says:

bendelson,

I think that considering this is a cap dump for the Jets, and a pressured trade, the thinking would be you could get him for less than market value.

Since they’re likely losing Myers (who I would want to sign), they will need cheap RHD. I’d go Benning and the poorer 2nd.

I’d rather have Nyquist for nothing though, if it were possible.

Ben:

Dare to dream…

I’d pay Lucic’s bonus, and retain $2 million to make a Lucic for Sutter deal straight up.

76. JimmyV1965 says:

bendelson:
    Question for the gang:

Oilers 2019 1st rd pick for Ehlers… 1 for 1.
    Is this a ‘reasonable’ trade for both teams?
    (I am leaning towards yes).

I would jump all over that. We’re hoping the 8th turns into someone like Ehlers. Just can’t see the Jets moving him. They’ll figure out their cap issues some other way.

77. DocFan says:

JimmyV1965,

Its actually more likely he had a fungal sinus infection that can be very aggressive, hard to treat with medication and requires multiple surgeries to remove infected tissue. However, we may never know what exactly is going on, as is appropriate when respecting someone’s wishes for privacy.

I do agree with your assessment thought – don’t buy antibacterial soap.

bendelson:
    Question for the gang:

Oilers 2019 1st rd pick for Ehlers… 1 for 1.
    Is this a ‘reasonable’ trade for both teams?
    (I am leaning towards yes).

No. Trading one core asset for another core asset isn’t progress. One has to trade up from a paper clip into a silver coin in a series of trades. Not trade one copper coin for another copper coin.

Sideways moves aren’t progress.

79. Munny says:

If Holland figures his org can teach Kaliyev to get his shine box and not be Rob Schremp, ie actually battle for the puck, I think Holland can drop back, gain a pick, and swindle this draft.

That’s a big IF though (ask Banana Hammock), and Holland, like most GMs, highly values battle (as they all should). Total Boom or Bust scenario… new guy might not want to risk his first 1st rounder like that.

80. JimmyV1965 says:

Munny:
    bendelson,

Since they’re likely losing Myers (who I would want to sign), they will need cheap RHD.I’d go Benning and the poorer 2nd.

I’d rather have Nyquist for nothing though, if it were possible.

I think guys like Nyquist and Dzingel are huge mistakes. These should be the poster boys for bad UFA signings. History has shown that these guys get overpaid for too
    many years just when they enter their decline. Nyquist at $5 mill for five years would be good. He’s much more likely to get $6.5 -$7 mill for seven years.

Munny:

That’s a big IF though (ask Banana Hammock), and Holland, like most GMs, highly values battle (as they all should).Total Boom or Bust scenario… new guy might not want to risk his first 1st rounder like that.

Draft someone who already has a motor, and doesn’t need a transplant.

Rattie had no motor. That is why he never became an NHL hockey player.

People are what they are. Believing that one can fix people is a bad operating plan, especially when using valuable assets on them.

The place to look for value is teams dumping good non-famous players to get cap-compliant. Ehlers is too famous to get value out of trading for him. One will have to trade a valuable asset to get him.

Russell for Perreault or Benning for Perreault makes more sense.

I like Benning for JT Miller better.

Avoid the name UFAs, and wait till the 2nd week of July.

83. JimmyV1965 says:

DocFan:
    JimmyV1965,

I do agree with your assessment thought – don’t buy antibacterial soap.

Ya. We will likely never know. Like I say, these infections are very rare, but they have been around forever. These type of deadly infections though are becoming a serious health care issue.

84. russ99 says:

Pescador,

Winning may cure all, but players expect to be paid market value, can we afford to give Nuge $8M/per?

85. Munny says:

godot10,

As I said… That’s a big IF though (ask Banana Hammock)

Ie.,you would have to really know the player well, better than you or I know him.

86. Nit64 says:

JimmyV1965: With his love of horses, it may be heaven on earth for him….he is a real threat to bolt.

I see what you did there.

87. Munny says:

JimmyV1965,

There’s a relationship between Nyquist and Holland that can’t be discounted, and that might in turn discount Nyquist’s ask. If he makes it to UFA, Holland will make a phone call.

If he can make it happen for reasonable term and dollars, then that scenario is preferable to trading good assets for Ehlers. Nyquist isn’t going to drop off a cliff like Lucic did, he’s already far out-producing Looch’s age 29 year, so more of a slow decline (and Dzingel is only 27, btw).

Eberle on the other hand I would have great concern about signing, due to the massive drop this year, and never having blazing speed in the first place.

It’s a very tight UFA market, so the bidding might be ridic… in which case, you’re right, you have to get up from the table and walk away, but it’s a possible path that can’t just be ignored right now onaccounta.

88. Dipsy Doodle Dandy says:

YKOil: If a name like Huberdeau or Larkin (see what I did there, woot! done deal!) isn’t attached to the other end of that trade then time given due creedence should be short (imo).

a. dump a problem and
    b. get some kind of a fix on the wing and
    c. get a later draft pick

at the same time.

How about do all three in one shot. Trade Lucic and the 8th for Brandon Sutter and the 10th pick.

89. JimmyV1965 says:

Munny:
    JimmyV1965,

There’s a relationship between Nyquist and Holland that can’t be discounted, and that might in turn discount Nyquist’s ask.If he makes it to UFA, Holland will make a phone call.

If he can make it happen for reasonable term and dollars, then that scenario is preferable to trading good assets for Ehlers.Nyquist isn’t going to drop off a cliff like Lucic did, he’s already far out-producing Looch’s age 29 year, so more of a slow decline (and Dzingel is only 27, btw).

Munny:
    JimmyV1965,

Anything can happen and maybe Holland gets him on a value contract, but history has shown that signing guys during the first couple days of free agency usually ends in disaster. I keep thinking GMs will finally figure it out, but it hasn’t changed yet. With the growing use of analytics, maybe they will figure it out. It’s starting to happen in baseball.

90. defmn says:

godot10:
    The place to look for value is teams dumping good non-famous players to get cap-compliant.Ehlers is too famous to get value out of trading for him.One will have to trade a valuable asset to get him.

Avoid the name UFAs, and wait till the 2nd week of July.

Totally agree. This team has all the ‘name’ players it can afford at the moment. What is needed is better foot soldiers and a 1B goalie.

91. Dr. Taboggan says:

bendelson,

I would pass. The oilers need more cost controlled assets and more expansion exempt players. I love Elhers but I think trading our 1st would be a mistake.

92. PinkSocks says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    PinkSocks,

I agree, just if he follows TMac to LA he may just be satisfied as an assistant.

93. leadfarmer says:

If Holland can trade Lucic for Sutter 1 for 1 I would have to farm a lot more lead so you guys could build a statue of him

94. PinkSocks says:

Professor Q: He’ll be gaining Samorukov, Bouchard, McLeod, Persson, etc., and not all of those you mentioned will be graduating anyway.

Samorukov and McLeod for sure. Hopefully Bouchard as well. Maksimov also. Persson could be NHL #6 starting next season with a good camp.

95. PinkSocks says:

leadfarmer:
    If Holland can trade Lucic forSutter 1 for 1 I would have to farm a lot more lead so you guys could build a statue of him

I’ll help.

96. Munny says:

leadfarmer,

It might not be one-for-one, but include a flip of picks and possibly something retained.

Still, if it can get done… git’er done!

97. Munny says:

Archie? Not Archibald?

98. whale says:

John Chambers:
    Yesterday I felt good about Ken Holland. He will bring peace to the valley.

And I felt ecstatic for Paddy Marooooooooooon! God bless you, Paddy!

I love this post. Well done.

99. RENNAVATE says:

Munny:
    Archie? Not Archibald?

Archie is way cuter.

100. geowal says:

godot10: Lander was a cheap competent NHL 4th liner when he was dumped by the Oilers. He is better than three or four guys than the Oilers had on the roster last year.

I don’t think Lander comes back to the NHL.He can be a top six forward in the KHL for a long time for the same money as being a 4th line role player, and struggling to keep the job on a yearly basis.

I’m only referencing the now. Pitlick has nothing to do with it.
    So now? I’d like to see a bit more upside than 28 yr old Lander to replace current poor roster players.

101. Munny says:

Al May on ON:

Thinks the top 3 coaching candidates are Lambert, Tippett and Nelson.

Nelson would be his choice but he likes Tippett too.

102. bendelson says:

Thanks for the responses people…
    For the record, I agree with JimmyV (so you’ve got that working against you Jimmy) and make the trade.

103. jtblack says:

“They’re already there, and the person calling them out has no moral high ground based on their own past. Maybe Mother Teresa AND CONNOR MCDAVID”

104. jtblack says:

105. PinkSocks says:

jtblack: Glen Gulutzan – NO THX
    Trent Yawney– NO THX
    Jay Woodcroft – NO THX
    Todd Nelson – NO THX
    Laine Lambert– Dont know anything about him

Why not Nelson? Agree strongly with you on GG, Woodcroft and Yawney.

jtblack: Glen Gulutzan – NO THX
    Trent Yawney– NO THX
    Jay Woodcroft – NO THX
    Todd Nelson – NO THX
    Laine Lambert– Dont know anything about him

Why wouldn’t you want Todd Nelson?

107. Munny says:

jtblack: Laine Lambert – Dont know anything about him

108. Darth Tu says:

jtblack: Glen Gulutzan – NO THX
    Trent Yawney– NO THX
    Jay Woodcroft – NO THX
    Todd Nelson – NO THX
    Laine Lambert– Dont know anything about him

I’m fine with Nelson.

I wouldn’t want Woodcroft at the moment, but if he can continue to do well in Bakersfield, maybe in a few years? I’ve enjoyed watching the Condors (from about Feb onwards when I really started paying attention) this season, structurally they’ve been good. As commented by others previously, how much of it is down to quality of roster, and how much is him is a little up for debate, but from what I’ve seen (and OP can probably speak to this a little more), he’s made the right coaching decisions at the right times more often than not.

Lambert, he’s probably in that Woodcroft camp as well, I know he was head coach in the AHL (Milwaukee?), and then has been an assistant for a while – albeit on some good teams. I don’t know enough about him to really comment though.

With you on Yawney. *edit* and Gulutzan

109. Pouzar says:

Lambert is intriguing just b/c he has been Barry Trotz’ right hand man for years.

110. New Improved Darkness says:

As much as I understand how Lowetide is trying to steer the ship, a small rant from Lowetide-past concerning abuse of the word “sorry” or the phrase “I’m sorry” springs to mind.

The Adelson forces buy a newspaper, journalists fight back — 30 December 2015

In today’s episode of ‘Adelson buys a newspaper, journalists fight back’ we deconstruct a note to readers published yesterday by Michael Schroeder in the Bristol Press. It was presented as an apology and mea culpa. But it is neither of those things. Schroeder only pretends to take responsibility. His apology is fake. Not the “I’m sorry if you were offended” kind of fake that we’re so used to seeing on the internet. More the “if I admit what I did I would have to resign and disappear in disgrace but I’m not strong enough to face that right now and besides there’s no one to make me…” kind of fake. Is there a word for that? I guess denial will have to do, but that might be giving him too much credit.

A) I’m sorry for doing X.
    B) I’m sorry for—ear-splitting pregnant subtext—getting caught doing X.

People in group (B) are thinking with their exposure hat.

This largely divides along traditional fault lines between process vs. outcome, and intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation.

What Straight-A Students Get Wrong — 8 December 2018

In a classic 1962 study, a team of psychologists tracked down America’s most creative architects and compared them with their technically skilled but less original peers.

One of the factors that distinguished the creative architects was a record of spiky grades. “In college our creative architects earned about a B average,” Donald MacKinnon wrote. “In work and courses which caught their interest they could turn in an A performance, but in courses that failed to strike their imagination, they were quite willing to do no work at all.”

They paid attention to their curiosity and prioritized activities that they found intrinsically motivating — which ultimately served them well in their careers.

This article by Adam Grant is not the best or only version of this story, but Adam Grant is easily the most unassailable luminary in the field right now if you want to throw the hoe down with your HR department.

Adam Grant is the woke guru of the moment for the bespoke suit crowd.

———

Twitter to remove ‘like’ tool in a bid to improve the quality of debate — 29 October 2018

Founder Jack Dorsey last week admitted at a Twitter event that he was not a fan of the heart-shaped button and that it would be getting rid of it “soon”.

The feature was introduced in 2015 to replace “favourites”, a star-shaped button that allowed people to bookmark tweets to read later.

Similar buttons to “like” or show appreciation of people’s status updates, pictures and videos have become a central function of every popular social media service since Facebook introduced them.

Why add it in the first place? Because extrinsic motivation (gold stars, high grades, likes, retweets) fills a yawning void if you’re not fundamentally confident in your core abilities. There’s gold in them thar hills pandering to the insecurities of people who can’t like themselves unassisted (you know, people who couldn’t possibly piss a drop unless Conner serves up a dreamy saucer, and even then the dreamless schmuck schlubs it wide of the yawning half-cage half the time).

———

I’ve never aspired to be a perfect person on any dimension, and I’ve been known to indulge in barbed speech from time to time. But I’m generally fairly careful to traffic in thorns rather than hot tar.

Dapper dress shirt: This Serenity Now thing doesn’t work. Just bottles up the anger, and then—eventually—you blow.

George: I thought you were in the nuthouse.

Dapper dress shirt: What do you think put me there?

George: I heard they found a family in your freezer.

Dapper dress shirt: Serenity now, insanity later. [knowing smile]

No need to mince words—or meekly digest your own liver—but neither do you need to traffic in indelible ink. I don’t mind if my barbs draw a few drops of blood, here and there. Life is a contact sport. But you really don’t know the whole story about anybody you’re interacting with. You make your point, the thorns exchanged can be plucked out, you rest your case, and you move on.

———

I was engaging in some subtle trash talk in these very pages over the last few days. First with my uncharacteristically short “sad day for the meatball crowd” (referencing hasty, meatball surgery) and then later with my characteristically less short “sad day for the taint crowd” (referencing the notion that consultation and collaboration is only ever as good as the least reliable person in the room—all the better to fire them all).

Xbox Has New Guidelines on How to Talk Trash Without Getting Banned — 2 May 2019

Looking for some new sick burns to throw out at other players on Xbox Live? Microsoft’s got you covered. In its new community standards, published this week, the company’s got some examples of acceptable trash talk, including gems like:

* Get destroyed. Can’t believe you thought you were on my level.

* That was some serious potato aim. Get wrecked.

* Only reason you went positive was you spent all game camping. Try again, kid.

* Cheap win. Come at me when you can actually drive without running cars off the road.

* That sucked. Get good and then come back when your k/d’s over 1.

Seriously, you can’t make this stuff up.

———

Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher,
    vanity of vanities! All is vanity.

What does man gain by all the toil
    at which he toils under the sun?

A generation goes, and a generation comes,
    but the earth remains forever.

The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
    and hastens to the place where it rises.

The wind blows to the south
    and goes around to the north;
    around and around goes the wind,
    and on its circuits the wind returns.

All streams run to the sea,
    but the sea is not full;
    to the place where the streams flow,
    there they flow again.

This is a famous refrain. Less well known is that future King Solomon authored this on a particularly gossipy day during his late-adolescent school years. The indifferent yarmulkes with spaghettini biceps were really taking on the chin at the pointed jowls of the natty yarmulkes with the linguine biceps.

———

Vanity is a harsh mistress, and no envy burns brighter than the vain against those who shirk basic vainhood. Part of what you learn in high school is the art of logrolling. In the news today: Is the person-who-must-not-be-named a billionaire because of the financial empire he still possesses, or because of what once passed through his tiny, sieve-like fingers? One does need to master the find art of knocking people down a peg who erect a false veneer with a secret sneer. Does he or doesn’t he? He’s now 72 years old, and yet still continues one of the greatest reputational shell games in my lifetime. You can say many things about old jimmy-legs, but you sure can’t fault his universal will to prevail.

Vanity is, of course, primarily a pyramid scheme: many must lose so few can win. Long ago I came to accept my fate on the bottom rung of indifference. Someone has to do it, and the bootprints on my back cause me less distress than most other people. At the same time, I resent any unnecessary kick on the way up, so I coddle my pouch of thorns—so as never to pass up a shooting lane. (Practice makes perfect does not apply to character.)

Much like the hockey code, there are acceptable liberties, and then there are unacceptable liberties. I may turn the other cheek, but strike it at your peril.

* Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion by Paul Bloom — 2016

Seriously: Try it. You won’t be able to do it.

Empathy, then, often causes us to focus so intently on individuals — often in a way that paralyzes us with grief or anger — that we miss the bigger picture.

I also read a book titled Pathological Altruism which was pathologically dry, so I mentioned the above instead.

I also vaguely recall Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi devoting a late chapter to the problem of priming the altruistic social pump to a fatal fault. The anecdote, possibly in this book, is that medical students who were competitive-minded received higher grades for two or three years. Then, as residency requirements kicked into force, the competitive-minded sots were completely out of their depth, having little social capital to fall back upon as the going got tough, this time in a messy open-ended environment.

———

I recall a few years back someone on Al Gore lauded Lowetide’s writing as pin sharp, a diagnosis itself pin sharp. This is a good kind of pin sharp, whereas my own ambit would be more along the lines of a porcupine with Huntington’s chorea. (Sure, if you want to climb over my back, fill your boots.)

———

I’m presently reading Just Babies: The Origins of Good and Evil (2013) by Paul Bloom. Unfortunately, it’s mostly lulling me to sleep. I’m barely managing a single chapter at a time.

The problem is that I’ve completely lost faith in the type of study where they put the subject into a novel social context, and then say “here, follow this arbitrary rule”. People simply don’t behave that way. Almost universally, some part of our brain tries to guess the surrounding social game: what earns the most brownie points in today’s special fire drill?

Bloom himself ought to know this, as evidenced by the previously quoted sentence: “As for innumeracy, Bloom points out that it’s really hard to truly empathize with more than one or two people at the same time.”

For the same reason, nobody virtue signals with two different pucks on the ice. (Name a lethal sport with more than one puck, and I will award you a lifetime subscription to Neck Brace magazine.) Of course, we all want to virtue signal, but first you have to figure out the chef’s daily special: Bold or prudent? Window or stay the course? I suspect that fully half of virtue signalling is a race to declare yourself as having successfully decoded the special of the day, first of all. The daily special is not decreed top down, but usually emerges bottom up. Sometimes the day arrives where Harvey Weinstein finds himself in the crosshairs for his 15 minutes of Twitter fame, and everybody guesses the special of the day pretty much simultaneously; other times, there’s more social fog of war.

You can’t just leave this as a clipped, disconnected wire—with no ground reference—and trust anything that such a psychological experiment “reveals”.

———

Nevertheless, even after tossing out half of his assembled evidence, Bloom still manages to demonstrate that babies and toddlers are extremely opinionated. You present a toddler with table where he gets one candy, and the toddler on the other side gets four candies. Then you give the toddler the option to either A) eat his one candy, while the other toddler gloats with puffy, disgusting lips though candy-stuffed chubby cheeks; B) kick the table over so that no-one gets any candy. Pro tip: head for the hills, the candy table is heading into low orbit with probability one. This formula never changes, but what does change is more context is brought to bear as we gain maturity.

Unless we’re on Twitter—and the candy supply is extrinsic likes.

Apology is hard because change is hard. Shame is too often transitory—without leaving much of a trace—for the same reason.

———

One of tactics I use to keep myself humble—quite deliberately—is to incorporate a sprinkle of Escher juice into most of what I write: it’s best that the stairwells mesh at odd angles from time to time. Among other things, this wards off ineluctable logic (nothing pumps your own tires like ineluctable logic). Meanwhile, the “inconceivable” reality about ineluctable logic is that it ultimately persuades anyone else exposed. I did this yesterday when I described the brain-sucking tentacle of boredom that sometimes emanated from the television in my early childhood years as causing my neurons “bathtub wrinkles”. Neurologically, cortical wrinkles are usually considered a good thing. The incongruent image conveyed a subtle whiff of paint drying to a good purpose: that maybe the channel was merely too educational and that in my sometimes excessive childhood impatience—there, I said it—I was emotionally inured to a good thing. Possibly, once or twice.

———

Nabokov once said that anyone who can only write one autobiography isn’t trying very hard.

[*] I’ve failed to track this nugget down again after the fact, but I’d wager 10% of my elephantine attic that it pertains to Speak, Memory.

How easy this is to forget about yourself in your most reflective moment; how certain this is to be forgotten about anyone else, in the heat of the Twitter moment.

Richard Gilbert who finds the long genealogical histories tedious notes that Nabokov apparently bullied his younger brother and “doesn’t pretend to guilt he doesn’t feel”, nor is he asking for sympathy when his idyllic world is crushed by the Russian revolution.

———

I, too, was a bully to my younger siblings, until about the age of 10. From my present vantage point, I’d say that the world simply moved too slow for my racing mind and a four-year-old of my temperament can only handle so much externally-imposed serenity now. That’s one story. The other story is that I was just a dick (and still am).

True story: I shamelessly humble-brag about my ever-ready “other cheek” porcupine quills well into my fifth decade.

But life is a contact sport, and you do need to feel some pride in the jersey, such as it is.

111. jtblack says:

godot10: Why wouldn’t you want Todd Nelson?

I don’t like bringing back people that have already been in the business or organization once … You get your chance and if it doesn’t work out so be it .. .maybe it will in a different market ..

Nelson is prob a great guy, I just don’t repeat coaches OR GM’s … except in a rare case, but this is not that …

112. jtblack says:

Munny: Associate coach of NYI, Trotz protégé, former Cougars and Admirals head coach, played with Holland in Detroit.

thanks

113. Pouzar says:

Very interesting tidbit on Gregor’s interview with Holland and the new GM talking about his intricate knowledge of the USHL kids in this draft. Hmmmmmm…

Pouzar:

Nelson is from the Trotz tree too.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: If Bakersfield loses tonight, they’re down 3-0 in the series. Right?

Right – my mistake – for some reason, I thought they were down 2-1, not 2-0 – yikes.

Hopefully Marody is back (and Yamamoto but I think he’s likely done for the year).

116. Dustylegnd says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Yes: Owner fighting for his life, for last few years still comes to presser because it matters so much is a lot different than “Absentee LA party-boy”

– Really poor job last few years by any reporter to suss this out.I respect Katz’s privacy,Maybe last few years hes been so “negligent” because he’s been focused on survival

– I does put pause though to “What if Katz were to pass away”?What would a new owner look like?

I have never viewed Katz as negligent, he hired what he thought were the best people, gave them autonomy after being linked to the Yakapov draft….allowed Bob to demote MacT and Hire Chia

Katz built a new arena invested in Edmonton’s down town build out via the Ice District etc etc

When he is involved in the draft, he is criticized and when he steps back he is criticized….what we do know is he provided a new arena and spends to the Cap every year…I am not sure how he can do much more other than hire better people…his hiring decisions are not a result of a lack of passion

I assume a guy worth 3 Billion has a very detailed succession plan in place

117. OriginalPouzar says:

He’d be adding Samorukov, Bouchard, Maksimov, McLeod, maybe Persson, likely Safin.

118. maudite says:

I hope holland takes his time on the coaching front.

IMO a good GM would hopefully sit down with the likes of Connor unofficially. Recognize he is vital cog in private and ask him his thoughts about coaches thus far. Good and bad no judgement. Just respect that his insight is probably pretty valid. After that maybe all players to some degree. Not sure exactly how much or to what level but one would hope he does the internal home work first and then makes call. If it’s a snap finger here’s your coach process. I wouldn’t be too enthused about prospect of really changing the trajectory of things around here.

119. OilFire says:

New Improved Darkness:

You’ve definitely hit on some of the driving force there.

Or maybe I’m just making the effort to write out this comment because that same dopamine pathway is pushing me to hold up my hand and be seen joining what my intuition for what the daily special will be?

120. theWaxCollector says:

In terms of moving down, I could see Vancouver or Montreal being good dance partners. Something along these lines, your mileage will vary.

8th and Lucic for Pearson/Sutter and 10th

Or

Sekera, 8th, and Puljujarvi for Gallagher/Domi, Poehling, and 15th

121. whale says:

New Improved Darkness: Yes, we all feel shame, but shame has an early exit ramp labelled “I’m sorry” followed immediately by a perilous fork in the road: to the left, contrition; to the right, a hollow apology with no true root system.

You have left/right backwards.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

McLeod is cantering Benson and Currie tonight.

Obviously means Marody is still out but a nice opportunity for Ryan.

123. Reja says:

leadfarmer:

leadfarmer:

As much as some posters bitch and whine like school girls that have been cut off from snap chat about the OBC every fricking team has a OBC the stakes are to high to allow arm chair Riff Raff in. Holland was brought in and payed to use some of his markers that he has accumulated over the I scratch your back you scratch my back wink wink. As I watched the handshakes after Maroon’s OT winner it’s like one big love fest with the opposing team not like the old days where competitors ruled over money but then again the coin was not even close to the amount being shelled out today.

124. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    McLeod is cantering Benson and Currie tonight.

Obviously means Marody is still out but a nice opportunity for Ryan.

Has he joined the Kentucky Derby re-race?

125. Professor Q says:

jtblack: I don’t like bringing back people that have already been in the business or organization once …You get your chance and if it doesn’t work out so be it .. .maybe it will in a different market ..

Nelson is prob a great guy, I just don’t repeat coaches OR GM’s …except in a rare case, but this is not that …

He had half a chance, or really a quarter of a chance before MacT took over the shared role.

He could do well and deserves a fair and full NHL chance, in my opinion. He has done well in the situations he has been put in, and it would help repair some damage.

Can’t repair the damage done during the Krueger fiasco, however. Can only repent and trust to improve.

126. Professor Q says:

I wonder if Souray brought up the old news bad management and personalities of Edmonton because of Katz’s story?

If so, not sure if it was the proper time. It sucked when it happened a decade ago, but seems like it might be a bit of limelight-mongering today.

127. PinkSocks says:

Sheldon Souray tweeted a response to John Shannon earlier today regarding Katz. This is it cleaned up:

This is awful. I can relate….Here’s a little story for you: After I broke my hand in a fight with Iggy in 2010 and needed pins put in to set the fracture, the Oilers insisted I get the surgery done in Edmonton. After some discussion, I agreed. Sometime during the Olympic Break, my hand became infected and I got very sick. I flew back to EDM from LA and went to the hospital that night. I had a bad blood and bone infection (MRSA). After spending a few days in ICU and a couple more surgeries later, I was close to having my hand amputated. I spent about 12 weeks on the IV bag with a PIC line on my heart to keep the infection from killing me. During the 10 days in the hospital, I was told that Oilers management(Katz,Kevin, Tambellini) thought I was “milking” the injury. When I spoke to the press in April 2010, I still hadn’t talked to management. I wasn’t mad they “didn’t check on me”. I was floored they thought I was using this injury not to play again that season. Obviously the rest is history. These infections are real and serious.

Pretty disgraceful shit right there. Lowe and Tambellini should have been axed immediately for this, and if Katz was also part of that, maybe karma is a real thing and it caught up.

128. Munny says:

New Improved Darkness,

Brad Marchand would like to have… well, a word.

129. PinkSocks says:

Professor Q:

Just posted the full tweet above for those interested. I agree that the timing is probably not the best from Souray, but it was a direct reply in regards to Shannon’s tweets about the health of Daryl Katz. Whether Souray is being an ass and rubbing it in the face of OEG or he is legitimately sympathizing with Katz, only Sheldon knows.

130. OriginalPouzar says:

Ughh – I read those Souray tweets about an hour ago or so – certainly doesn’t look good on the organization.

One interesting nuance though, he said that “he heard” management thought he was milking it – not that management actually said anything to him along those lines. Heard from who? His agent? A media member? His nurse?

131. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Why trade a player playing for a new contract in the last year of his contract? That last year has incredible value for money.If somebody makes a great offer, sure.But this notion that one should trade good-but-not-elite players rather than keeping then for the last year is somewhat wrong-headed in a hard cap world.One would not be losing him for nothing.One is getting $6 million in cap space.

Not to mention, aside from the elite (and even some of the elite), its fairly rare for a player to sign his extension with the full year left – it does happen, of course, but its the exception, by far. It would be fairly unusual for Nuge to sign next off-season. Of course, if he’s willing to go 4 X $6.5M, I’m all over it but it would be a bit unusual.

132. PinkSocks says:

OriginalPouzar,

Good point. There is a bit of hearsay in there that may have altered the truth somewhat. Regardless, not a good look.

133. pts2pndr says:

Lowetide: One of the things we have to get our head around is this: Our perception of this roster in no way resembles Holland’s view of the team. The Edmonton Oilers are not a winning team. There is no such thing as 10 untouchables on this roster.

This is very true however moving one of the marginal parts has to make the whole better. This is particularly important if the part you are moving is for example JP where there is room for this player to be much better than what you would receive in a trade at this time. I believe the management has to get together and place a upper and lower value and not accept low ball offers. We have been bleeding talent for a number of years and or over paying for players ie Russel’s second contract. This has to stop.

134. Wolfpack says:

In talking about possibly trading the first round pick for a young winger, I can’t help but think about Holland trading down as part of a strategy to move the Datsyk contract. What if he traded down in order to improve the current cap situation, is that something the people might be on board with?

135. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– You know, Ken is really a classy dude. Imagine how things could have been different here if Sather had mentored someone like Lowe for instance. And then Lowe could have passed the torch to the next guy. You have to respect Detroit and their legacy, and Holland’s part in this

– It’s a shame that we never had the same here: This is really well articulated by our GM:

““I knew it was time. I knew it was time for a change in leadership, I knew it was going to be great for the organization, great for the fans, great for our owners. It was time for Steve Yzerman to come home,” said Holland. “I realized it was my time to step aside and I feel good that my last move as the general manager of the Detroit Red Wings was to hand the keys to Steve Yzerman, who I have the greatest respect for and have a great friendship [with]. And whatever status I’ve got in this industry, he’s a massive part of it.””

136. pts2pndr says:

John Chambers:

It brings to mind an old saying that goes when someone is right no one remembers when someone is wrong no one forgets. Both Lowe and MacT deserve more credit and less abuse.

137. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar:
    McLeod is cantering Benson and Currie tonight.

Obviously means Marody is still out but a nice opportunity for Ryan.

Are you not worried he may not be ready? If he is really good is that an indication he may be ready in the fall for step up. Asking for a friend.

138. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: I see the Preds making a push for RNH. With his love of horses, it may be heaven on earth for him. Regardless, the Oil have to tread very carefully with RNH. As much as he likes it here, if he lines up with wingers like Lucic and whatever fourth liner you can name, he is a real threat to bolt at first opportunity.

Well, his most common linemate this past season was Connor McDavid – although, after that, it fell off quickly to Chiasson, Puljujarvi, Lucic and Kassian.

139. OriginalPouzar says:

PinkSocks: Samorukov and McLeod for sure.Hopefully Bouchard as well.Maksimov also.Persson could be NHL#6 starting next season with a good camp.

Sure, if Persson #6 then they likely aren’t losing Jones.

PinkSocks:
    Sheldon Souray tweeted a response to John Shannon earlier today regarding Katz.This is it cleaned up:

Pretty disgraceful shit right there.Lowe and Tambellini should have been axed immediately for this, and if Katz was also part of that, maybe karma is a real thing and it caught up.

Told by whom? The story has diminished credibility because Souray does not say who said Oiler management thought that way.

I

141. Woodguy v2.0 says:

New Improved Darkness,

Top form sir.

Also,

Feeling empathy for more than 2 people at once is pretty easy imo.

Maybe Bloom is just a dink?

Maybe since I’ve been trained to identify what motivates people in order to sell them empathy is easy for me to slide into?

I dunno.

Wolfpack:

I sit Lucic in the pressbox before trading down. I am not wasting an asset on him. I am willing to take a bad contract in return, or to eat salary, but I’m not trading a useful asset. The pressbox is a fine spot for him.

143. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr: Are you not worried he may not be ready? If he is really good is that an indication he may be ready in the fall forstep up. Asking for a friend.

Am I worried that he’s not ready for the 2nd line in the AHL? No, not really.

If he sinks in the role, then he sinks in the role.

At the same time, I’m excited to see him get a chance with some NHL-level skill (and excited to not have Benson centered by Esposito or Vesel). I’d rather him play on that line than with Callahan and Esposito.

144. Silver Streak says:

Pouzar:

Nuge was mature at 16….however any number 1 overall pick wants more than where he is slotted in the lineup….hopefully Holland will have more than a little chat with him, and if need be, move him quickly.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Holland wants a goalie that can play 30-35 games and has pro experience. He will likely use free agency for that acquisition.

Nothing too surprising there.

I wonder about Mrazek.

High reward.

As an aside, one might posit he’s already got that goalie under contract and needs to find a guy to play the other 50 games…….

146. Oil2Oilers says:

A team with some big decisions to make with 3 UFA forwards and a UFA goalie is NYI. Sure they have Lou and cap space but it seems likely one of the forwards will move on.

Reports are they are going to resign the Captain Lee, leaving Eberle and Nelson. I think Eberle may have played him self into another contract with his playoff performance. Meaning Nelson.might shake free.

He was the player the Oilers should have got as return for Eberle. Able to fill the 2nd line LW and 3C roles he would still be a good fit for the Oilers. If the Oilers are going to spend money at the forward position I hope it is at Left wing. I still have faith that Puljujarvi will work out as a top 6 winger and LTs draft list above is lousy with RC/RW in the range Oilers are picking, plus of course Yamamoto.

Sadly Nelson will likely be out of the Oilers price range this summer.

147. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov with a PP assist as Guelph takes a 2-1 lead to the first intermission.

GDT is up.

149. condormcdavis says:

OriginalPouzar,

Does it matter who he heard it from?

LT says it often and says it best….

Sometimes you develop a history

And the history in Edmonton surrounding the Oilers is exactly what Souray was describing.

A group of has been “smartest guy in the room” people who have run players, coaches out of town and simultaneously run the franchise into the ground.

If anyone needed another reason to stop supporting the team, here it is.

150. Strapping Jocks says:

Where?

151. gimme shelter says:

canter : a pace of a horse or other quadruped between a trot and a gallop
    I have never heard such a turn of phrase to describe a hockey player. He is CANTERING between two wingers O.K. Sounds about the speed of change within the oiler organization.

152. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov finishes with a couple of assists, plus 1 with 4 shots in a 5-4 win as Guelph evens the series at 2.

153. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, to me it matters where he heard it from – goes to the veracity of the statement.

Any one is free to stop supporting the franchise for any reason they like. This fan will continue to support the franchise.

154. who says:

theWaxCollector:

8th and Lucic for Pearson/Sutter and 10th

Or

Sekera, 8th, and Puljujarvi for Gallagher/Domi, Poehling, and 15th

I have speculated on a Lucic for Sutter trade, with Edmonton retaining salary and adding a sweetener, but I really don’t see it happening.
    If Lucic goes to Vancouver, Erickson is coming to Edmonton.
    Benning will probably have some expensive RFAs to sign in the next couple of years. Boeser, Peterson, Hughes.
    Vancouver already has one buyout proof contract, no way they take on a second.

155. Farnsworth Paradox says:

Hi all,

Normally I don’t bother commenting, as I prefer to hide under my rock and catch up by reading the threads and valuable comments at night, but I thought I would venture out for a moment to make one quick observation about the press conference. Nicholson gets a lot of well-deserved criticism and I am decidedly NOT a fan of his… but he has been getting a fair amount of criticism (from some people at least) for “jumping in” on that question about, essentially, getting rid of the problems in management that everyone can see are there. But, I remembered it differently and just went back to the video to confirm my memory. Gregor actually addressed that question to “Bob or Daryl”. It was never meant as a question for Holland. Again, not a fan of Bob and there is plenty to criticize him for, but I thought I’d at least attempt to correct the public record on that one…

*Scuttles back under rock*

156. CallighenMan says:

PinkSocks: Just posted the full tweet above for those interested.I agree that the timing is probably not the best from Souray, but it was a direct reply in regards to Shannon’s tweets about the health of Daryl Katz.Whether Souray is being an ass and rubbing it in the face of OEG or he is legitimately sympathizing with Katz, only Sheldon knows.

Souray also says “I was told”. Meaning we don’t know if what he is tweeting about the mgt is actually true. Who “told” him? Spector?