Game 3 Pacific Division Finals: Condors at Gulls

The San Diego Gulls, the hockey Gods and luck conspired against the Bakersfield Condors on the weekend and the team finds itself down 2-0 and on the road in the Pacific Division finals. This is the part of the western where our hero looks at his young partner and says “we’re up against it, little Joe, I’m not gonna lie to you.” Can the Condors shoot their way out of trouble?

Ken Holland will be in attendance tonight, I hope all these kids impress. I hope Logan Day and Evan Polei play well enough to get NHL contracts, and that Tyler Benson plays well enough to wedge his name somewhere in Holland’s furrowed brow for the rest of the summer and into fall.

Ken Holland will be looking for speed merchants, that means Caleb Jones is going to stand out. He’s going to look for the head man pass, Evan Bouchard’s wheelhouse. A big chance for young Ryan McLeod, who will play on the big line.

Don’t get too excited about tonight’s lineup, chances are fewer players than hoped for will make the NHL. What Oilers fans badly need is for Holland to identify the Brossoit, Oesterle, Khaira and Pitlick from the group and retain them for the long haul. The famous sentence has two parts to it: Get good players, keep good players.

65 Responses to "Game 3 Pacific Division Finals: Condors at Gulls"

This is the GDT.

2. jtblack says:

Got it. Go condors

3. Todd Macallan says:

Papa Holland in the crowd, play hard gents!

4. Jethro Tull says:

Holy. Spurs vs. Liverpool. Who’d da thunk?

5. Yeti says:

Jethro Tull:
    Holy. Spurs vs. Liverpool. Who’d da thunk?

You’d have got pretty sweet odds on that 48 hours ago…

6. Oil2Oilers says:

This is the GDT.

7. Pescador says:

Oil2Oilers: I heard this in monster truck rally voice, do they still have those things and if they do they’re probably in Bakersfield

Not only do they have them they’re part of all civic elections. City council is made up entirely of current and previous winners.
    Bigfoot’s driver is the mayor

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Really nice first shift by the new second line – good cycle between Benson and McLeod and some nice zone time.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov finishes with a couple of assists, plus 1 with 4 shots in a 5-4 win as Guelph evens the series at 2.

10. Oil2Oilers says:

Pescador: Not only do they have them they’re part of all civic elections.City council is made up entirely of current and previous winners.
    Bigfoot’s driver is the mayor

I accept this as fact!

11. OriginalPouzar says:

For those that missed it in the other thread, McLeod is centering Benson and Currie tonight.

They are going with 7D again so likely limited ice for Bouchard which would be a bit disappointing with Holland in attendance.

12. Professor Q says:

Holy.

San Diego’s Ice Girls were…quite a sight.

I think that was much more saucy than UFC Ring Girls and NFL Cheerleaders combined.

Shaking and pointing at/cupping augmented bosoms is quite the marketing technique.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Malone with a beauty feed to Joe G on a quick strike 2 on 1 for the 1-0 goal.

Very very nice outlet pass by Keegan Lowe to start the rush.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

On the prior shift, Bouchard showed his skill and vision on his first shit – lots of room and lugs the puck (slowly) in to the offensive zone, slows up even more to allow teammates to join and showed some very nice vision on a cross seam pass to Currie – didn’t connect but showed very nice vision.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Josh Currie with a couple solid hit early..

16. Professor Q says:

That seemed like a dive to me. I know it would hurt to get hit in the teeth, but he reacted like 3 seconds after contact and it seemed like he got shot.

17. Ryan says:

Watching with no volume and plenty of distractions.

What was the coaches challenge for? Wtf

This is the GDT.

Winter is coming.

Oops.

My eyesight is going.

19. Gerta Rauss says:

This blog was running low on augmented bosoms

20. Oil2Oilers says:

OriginalPouzar:

As far as I can tell Detroit does not have any draft picks on Guelph this season. Giovanni Smith was there the last few years. I was happy Holland knew Samoruko’s name let’s hope he has kept track of him this season/post season as it has been a break out year.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Currie stopped on a clear cut shorthanded breakaway – damn.

Gerta Rauss:
    This blog was running low on augmented bosoms

PG-Rated GOT….er…GDT.

23. Professor Q says:

A former Oiler. Had to be.

Cracknell with a wide open goal.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Another solid offensive zone possession shift for the Benson/McLeod/Currie line.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Damn centering pass takes a lucky deflection right to a Gull who buries an easy one – bad break goal.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G. gets that one right back – walks out from behind the net to the bottom for the circles and rooks one over the goalies shoulder short side — not great on the goalie who was on his knees and didn’t react well and terrible defence as Joe was allowed to walk out uncontested but also a very nice shot by Joe.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G. with a lovely pass to the slot to set up Jones for a point blank chance but he couldn’t bury it.

28. Pescador says:

Gerta Rauss:
    This blog was running low on augmented bosoms

Still plenty of tits around

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Although I’ve really only seen the first two periods of each of the games given the start times, that was by far the most entertaining period – much more open ice than any other period I’ve seen in the series.

30. bwar says:

Condors look like a different team out there tonight. Benson line is getting some pressure but McLeod still needs a bit more chemistry with his linemates. Good first period, lets keep it going.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Wow – Currie carries the puck in to the zone on a 3 on 3 – he button hooks, makes a backhand pass to the middle and Bear rips in home under the bar – fun goal!

3-1 Condors!

Benson with the 2nd assist.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

In case anyone is wondering how he’s playing, I think Bouch might have only had two shifts so far.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Bouch gets a shift but ends up in the box for interference.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Patrick Russell with a poor play at the Condors’ blueline, doesn’t get the puck out and the Gulls score.

That is not going to impress the new GM.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

and another defensive zone turnover and the game is tied at 3.

Two goals off Condor tunrovers in 20 seconds.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

and the Gulls take a 4-3 lead on the PP.

Wow, from up 3-1 to down 4-3 in short order.

Skinner coming in to replace Starrett.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Interesting that Skinner is the back-up – Wells has been the more prominent goalie this year and even started game 2.

38. bwar says:

OriginalPouzar,

Saw that before the game, I think both teams swapped backups after game 2, seems a bit strange.

39. Nit64 says:

bwar:
    OriginalPouzar,

Think they swapped after the night after the game 1 4OT and then swapped back after game 2.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Bouchard tripped up and Joe G. gets the hatty on the PP off a rebound.

We are all tied up at 4.

Gust and Benson with the assists.

Joe G. wants an NHL job next year.

41. Professor Q says:

Woah. I just realised that Caleb Jones is the Captain, and not Keegan Lowe?

Or is something funky here with the website? Good for him, if it is true, though.

Bad for me for not noticing before now. No Alternates, however?

42. bwar says:

Nit64,

Kevin Boyle and Dylan Wells played last game and now Skinner and Erikkson Ek are the backups today. So neither of the starters from last game dressed tonight.

43. Jethro Tull says:

Pescador: Still plenty of tits around

I’ll take Le tits now for 400, Aleksh.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q:
    Woah. I just realised that Caleb Jones is the Captain, and not Keegan Lowe?

Bad for me for not noticing before now. No Alternates, however?

Keegan Lowe is 100% the captain.

The website is incorrect.

45. dolenator says:

Dang 5-4 gulls

46. Professor Q says:

Another injury to the Bear-Jones duo won’t do.

Edmonton just can’t catch an injury break.

47. Nit64 says:

Steel made it 6-4 Gulls @ 07:11. 10 mins left.

48. Nit64 says:

Malone 6-5. 9 mins left.

49. Nit64 says:

Malone 2 min penalty with 2:42 left

50. Nit64 says:

Benson 10 seconds left 6-6

51. geowal says:

Looks like Lagesson won it in OT?

52. JustWatt says:

Lagesson with the winner just 39 seconds into OT. Nice come from behind win for the Big Birds.

53. SwedishPoster says:

Pescador: Still plenty of tits around

This made me think of when british tv host Simon Amstell introduced Peter Andre as “Jordan’s(his then wife) third favourite tit and second favourite twat”.

54. Farnsworth Paradox says:

Just posted this in the previous thread, but thought I’d add it here:

Hi all,

Normally I don’t bother commenting, as I prefer to hide under my rock and catch up by reading the threads and valuable comments at night, but I thought I would venture out for a moment to make one quick observation about the press conference. Nicholson gets a lot of well-deserved criticism and I am decidedly NOT a fan of his… but he has been getting a fair amount of criticism (from some people at least) for “jumping in” on that question about, essentially, getting rid of the problems in management that everyone can see are there. But, I remembered it differently and just went back to the video to confirm my memory. Gregor actually addressed that question to “Bob or Daryl”. It was never meant as a question for Holland. Again, not a fan of Bob and there is plenty to criticize him for, but I thought I’d at least attempt to correct the public record on that one…

*Scuttles back under rock*

55. OriginalPouzar says:

What a comeback – they were down 6-4 with 9 to go and Malone from Lowe and Bouchard put then to within one and then, as mentioned, Benson ties it up with 10 seconds to go from Malone and Joe G and Lagesson wins it in OT from Jones and Joe G.

3G and 2A on the night for Joe.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Funny that Lagesson’s OT goal gets him the games 1st star – big goal and he finished with 1G, plus 1 with 1 shot while the game’s second star, Joe G. finished with 2G/3A, plus 4 with 4 shots.

57. The Trade Guy says:

OriginalPouzar,

Yeah but OT winners are as good as it gets. Even if Joe is the reason they were in OT.

58. Nit64 says:

The Trade Guy:
    OriginalPouzar,

If it’s all about critical goals they were 11 seconds from being down 3-0 when Benson triumphed. The OT winner in 33 seconds was nice, but they had all night (and longer as per game 1) to score the OT goal. 😉

5 pt night for Joe is the better pick.

59. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– It’s not going change much: we hoped for the best:

” Holland flew on the private plane of Oilers owner Daryl Katz following Tuesday’s press conference to join Oilers personnel Keith Gretzky and Craig MacTavish”

60. slopitch says:

Wow what a game by the sound of it!

61. Nit64 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – It’s not going change much: we hoped for the best:

~ That Dinosaur Holland doesn’t know how to use Skype ~

62. BONE207 says:

Nit64: ~ That Dinosaur Holland doesn’t know how to use Skype ~

His Etch-a-Sketch skills are off the charts though. He can do circular drawings

63. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Nit64,

– I guess we can hope, but who are we kidding.

– MacT down there with Keith, being all part of the team and stuff. MacT isn’t going anywhere, and Keith, hopefully they find another AGM to “compete” with him.

– MacT and Keith: “Hey Holly, great you came down. Looking forward to working with you. That last GM: I never agreed with any of the moves he made. Ask Keith: we were dead set and spoke to each other about the moves”

– “And on top of that, we didn’t have any say. Chia was the boss”

– “But this Bakersfield team: that’s what I’m all about. This is my team, I built it”

– “So we are pumped that your here: let me tell you about my experience hiring and firing coaches. And if you ever need to railroad a guy, I will give you Stauffer’s direct line.”

– “I wish we didn’t sign Lucic. Pool, what do you think: we’ve done an awesome job teaching him lessons? That Koski, what a brutal signing. Kailer: let’s slot him with McD again at start of season”

” And look, even though I worked with Chia at two places where he got fired: all he had to do was listen to me, and we would have been a lot better”

For The Athletic: An offseason plan for Ken Holland to remodel the Oilers roster

65. Nit64 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: Keith, hopefully they find another AGM to “compete” with him.

That’s the realistic question I’m interested in. Will Holland pull in a future GM candidate as a 2nd AGM? Like KG’s draft work, but the coop-etiton of a 2nd GM is best for the team and probably best for KG in terms of getting to GM here or elsewhere.