Game 4 Pacific Division Finals: Condors at Gulls

One of the fun things about a successful minor league team is that it gives us a chance to project into the future. We all have our favourites, and some of us have a secondary group we’re just pulling for (Joe Gambardella) despite reasons not to believe. This Condors team has some real quality in terms of prospects, one of whom is the head coach.

How many of these kids would you project to play 100+ NHL games? I like to use 100 because it’s Scott Cullen’s line in the sand for big league success, and it’s also the first rung on the race to becoming an actual NHL player.

I’ll suggest Caleb Jones, Evan Bouchard, Ethan Bear, Tyler Benson and Cooper Marody for 100+ games. I also suggest Evan Bouchard as the most likely to pass 500. You?

TODD NELSON’S LAST OKC TEAM

Nelson was in the NHL by playoff time, but he had this team rolling in 2014-15. Oklahoma City finished third in the West, but outlasted the two teams who finished ahead (San Antonio and Texas) by making it to the second round. Gerry Fleming was the coach after Nelson came up to the NHL (as an assistant and then head coach). Darnell Nurse was the most likely to play 500+ NHL games and he is on track.

That OKC team saw six men play over 100 NHL games, plus Laurent Brossoit who I count as an actual NHL goalie. Are there seven kids playing in the AHL postseason for Bakersfield who will play more than 100 NHL games?

73 Responses to "Game 4 Pacific Division Finals: Condors at Gulls"

Holland remains in California, I think Jones, Marody and Benson have the best chance to making the jump this fall.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Road team has won all 3 games – need that to continue tonight – massive game.

Hopefully Marody is in the lineup but I doubt it.

Will McLeod get the 1C time (or call it 2C time)? Will he split it again?

Will Bouchard get more minutes?

3. OriginalPouzar says:

——————-

I add William Lagesson to the group (and if I had to remove one for him, its Bear – although I do think he should make the list).

I think Joe G. could make the list as well. Yes, he’s 25 so dominating the AHL needs to be taken with a grain of salt, however, the progression in his game from last year to this year is stunning and meaningful.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ll also add Ryan Stanton to the list and posit he’ll play at least 120 NHL games……

5. Philosophil says:

I think Bouchard needs to find some defensive zone urgency. Predicting 500 games played based on his play up (world juniors, AHL) hasn’t convinced me. imo Needs a Draisaitl like off season (prior to 1st full nhl season) with a European strength, conditioning and training regimen and coach to enhance his skating.the physical similarity is there, wonder if the drive and determination is as well?

OriginalPouzar:

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Guelph up 4-2 on Ottawa after 2 period. No points for Samorukov yet (plus 1 with a couple of shots) but this would be a massive win for Guelph – very impressive their ability to raise their game when up against adversity – all playoffs.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Sekera win some nice puck movement on the PP for an apple today:

9. Richard Roma says:

Friedman says that Tippet is the front runner which does not disquiet me. I’ve always admired Tippet. It sounds like Todd Nelson is the resounding fan favourite.

10. Richard Roma says:

OriginalPouzar,

Love that we have Jones sitting in the waiting for next season. He’s going to be a hell of a player.

11. oilersfan says:

What do you smart people think the oilers would have to add to Ethan Bear to get Connor Brown??

Or could that be a straight up trade considering Toronto is desperate to dump salary?

12. Richard Roma says:

Listening to Stauffer today, it sounds like the knives are out for Lucic.

With the Oilers, there’s long been the sense that the usual media guys need the org approval before they’re allowed to express critical opinions on hockey players. Once they’re given the green light, look out.

13. Scungilli Slushy says:

To me the guy who is better defensively, typical NHL size and scoring more points when it counts is the one on the radar for Holland. And he’s Swedish to boot!

Is his skating really weak?

Perhaps Jones and Lagesson make it. Bear soon to follow. They still need a 2 RD placeholder.

Lucic Sekera Russell out for cap and rely on the farm depth and the new 2 RD ?

14. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– LT – If you are right and the players you cite all get to 100+ what do you think that means for the Oil next 3-5 years? Is this an above normal replacement level ie some bottom pairing D and 3rd Fs – or is this what we bank on to be better

– what I mean is my takebisbthe current draft prospects are good to above prospects on a good organization but not game changers a al 79 -80 drafts

– So my take is they help better than last decade but i dont think that and what we have is enough to look back in 5 years and say “draft and develop” was the ticket.

– Or if they pan out like you say. Is that enough to be cup winners?

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – LT – If you are right and the players you cite all get to 100+ what do you think that means for the Oil next 3-5 years?Is this an above normal replacement level ie some bottom pairing D and 3rd Fs – or is this what we bank on to be better

– Or if they pan out like you say. Is that enough to be cup winners?

I don’t think that’s a championship crop, no. Tampa Bay and Winnipeg produce more and have consistently. That said, neither have won a championship. Any team with McDavid and goaltending has a chance imo, no matter what the minor league system produces. The current crop is easily the best since arriving in Bakersfield, though.

Scungilli Slushy: I’m wondering why Lagesson who is outperforming Jones now wouldn’t be an option?

Is his skating really weak?

Lucic Sekera Russell out for cap and rely on the farm depth and the new 2 RD ?

One of the things we have to acknowledge is that we don’t know. William Lagesson may succeed in a big way while the other two fade away. Chorney was the best skater in the college group we monitored 15 years ago, but it was Petry who emerged. We don’t know what we don’t know.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Guelph hangs on for a 4-3 win for their third straight and take a 3-2 series lead. Samorukov had no points and was plus 1 with 3 shots. I’ll check with SPR to see how he played but, given his plus defensive attributes, I assume he was relied on heavily to defend the lead.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Hah! Doesn’t work like that, otherwise Brad Winchester would dominate the 2014-15 team.

So, I can’t include Brandon Manning????

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Richard Roma:
    Friedman says that Tippet is the front runner whichdoes not disquiet me. I’ve always admired Tippet. It sounds like Todd Nelson is the resounding fan favourite.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Is his skating really weak?

Lucic Sekera Russell out for cap and rely on the farm depth and the new 2 RD ?

Lagesson’s skating is not an issue – he’s a fine skater, much more mobile than Bear.

The buzz words re: puck moving d-man is why everyone loves Jones as that is his strength, transition.

On the other hand, Lagesson is a defence first defender, an aggressive defender who is also a solid skater and puck mover (and has decent offensive instincts). He’ll get his shot next year and, when he does, he’ll become a fan favorite – a new age Jason Smith. Shit, a new age Adam Larsson.

21. Pouzar says:

http://onhockey.tv/ has the game tonight.

EDIT: Link not workin

22. OriginalPouzar says:

No Marody again tonight – hope McLeod gets lots of reps between Benson and Currie – much more possession time than with Esposito or Vesel in that spot.

23. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– what do you mean lag is nhl ready?

– do you think he’s ready to be the 6th D paired with an bonfire D partner?

– which D from the current group would you get did of to slot him in for game 1? And who is is his partner on game 1.

– and if he is ready what do you do with Jones? Are you ready to have them both starting game 1? If so where do they both slot?

– I think this team does poorly next year if he is being counted on as a NHL D. Like way worse than Pool was NHL ready the year he was drafted

24. Richard Roma says:

OriginalPouzar: I believe Friedman was saying he’s likely to end up in either Buffalo or Edmonton.

Stauffer said that he thought Buffalo would be willing to offer Tippet more money than Edmonton could. He also said that Edmonton could use Tippet’s ability to reduce GA. He mentioned the results of Tyler Hupka’s twitter polls. ? H. Bomb?

Friedman mention that he’s heard that Tippet is the front runner in Edmonton with Nelson’s name also in the conversation. He acknowledged that Buffalo could be interested in Tippet though he didn’t cite any inside intel or source for this.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Day with a wrist shot off the post from outside the top of the circles.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

McLeod does indeed start centering Benson and Currie.

27. Oil2Oilers says:

Now that we know who the GM is I have been wondering what I would consider a successful rest of the summer. I have landed on this;

Hire Todd Nelson as coach, keep Manny as an assistant for some continuity. I like coach Camero’s aggresive system and his man management, both are suited for the modern game.

Hire at least two more Analytics Analysts and one Sports Scientist. Give them a respected hockey man in the organization to bounce ideas off and champion there findings. The new Tactics Advisor would be a good person for this.

Deploy Ken Hitchcock as Tactics Advisor, his first order of business would be a summer trip to Scandinavia to talk NHL tactics with Puljujarvi, Persson, Berglund and any new recruits for a couple weeks. No one is better at taking hockey than Hitchcock. During the season he can champion the Analytics department and mentor Coach Camero and Woodcroft down in Bakersfield on tactics.

Select Dylan Cozens in the draft. He is a happy combination of BPA and team needs. Holland magic for the rest.

Trade Kris Russell and 2019 3d for Mark Pysyk and James Reimer. Florida nets a 2.1 million cap saving. Oilers get a backup for that hit with a better and longer track record than the incumbent and are no worse off at defense. The Cowboy gets to ride out his contact in the low tax Florida sun on a team with big plans.

Trade Lucic and 2020 2nd with 1.5 million retained for Brandon Sutter. Cap space is a wash the first two years and Vancouver can probably move him on again with a little retained for a further pick after that. Oilers gain a 3C and penalty killer freeing the coach to have Draisaitl or Nuge play wing as required.

Trade Ethan Bear for Alex Barré-Boulet from Tampa (ala LT Athletic piece) ABB is Tampa’s second best AHL forward prospect an Bear is a RHD with a fantastic shot. Balances prospect pools of both organizations.

Two second week Free agent wingers, say Chiason and Paajavi. No more than 2 year commitments.

Draisaitl – McDavid – Chiason
    Benson – Nuge – Puljujarvi
    Paajavi – Sutter – Gagner
    Khaira – Cave – Kassian

Kelfbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Pysyk
    Sekera – Benning
    Caleb Jones

ABB and Yamamoto pushing for dozen game test runs in the top six. Gambedello and Marody doing the same in the bottom six. At least two defenders on each side pushing from the AHL as well. Kassian and Khaira able to move up to smooth youthful wobbles or old men faltering.

Team would skill be young and unproven on the wings, but that is the best area to be young and unproven. Should any of the defensemen make then selves undeniable early room for a more senior man to be moved out ,in season, for more help on the wings.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Some fantastic work by Esposito and then Joe G. with a great set up in the slot but Russell is stopped – great play.

29. dessert1111 says:

I’d pick those same guys to play 100, and add Lagesson. And one of the skilled grinders – I’ll take Currie because I think he has the widest range of skills.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

McLeod with a real tough pass to Jones back at the point – which understandably gets by him – Jones forced to take down the streaking Gull forward and the PK goes to work.

Rookie mistake by McLeod.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors kill it off.

Benson with a real slick move on a breakaway but Glass with a lucky save off his shoulder (didn’t really know where it was).

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Logan Day with an unreal almost 3 line pass to Benson for that breakaway.

Good to see – he struggled big time in game 3.

33. geowal says:

Is his skating really weak?

Lucic Sekera Russell out for cap and rely on the farm depth and the new 2 RD ?

I don’t know if 2-3 rookie D really fits with an “over-ripen” philosophy.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Blah – Gulls score a lucky one.

Point shot goes off the back-boards, bounces out in front off Cracknell’s leg and in.

Actually Cracknell got a stock on it – still a super lucky bounce – I don’t think that that was the old Red Wing intentional off the back-boards.

Bear was in the box due to a careless high stick.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

There is why Day isn’t a legit prospect for the NHL – for every nice play (that stretch pass to Benson), there is an equally poor play – a giveaway beside his own net due to indecision – no harm though.

36. digger50 says:

Oil2Oilers,

Great post, very well thought out plan.

I like your thoughts on coaching and for Hitchcock, great idea.

Roster moves – I’m hungry for one more forward that is a difference maker. We need this.

37. dolenator says:

Condors the better team but still down 1-0

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Esposito covering the point falls down leading to a clear cut 3 on 1 for the Gulls but they ring it off the post.

Generally the Condors have been the much better team but penalties and the odd big mistake have hurt them so far.

39. dolenator says:

Mcloud to stanton for a tie game

40. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Richard Roma:
    Listening to Stauffer today, it sounds like the knives are out for Lucic.

With the Oilers, there’slong been the sense that the usual media guys need the org approval before they’re allowed to express critical opinions on hockey players. Once they’re given the green light, look out.

– The MacTs of the .org from decade + are serving up the platter for another terrible dump.

– This is us. Still. Again.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

Stanton ties the game up.

McLeod picks up an errant pass in the offensive zone and really good vision to go straight cross-ice for a one-time by Stanton.

Nice play by the kid!

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Lagesson going to the box on a play behind his own net but its a pretty damn terrible call – the Gull was on his way down.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Beautiful defensive play by Joe G. on a quick down low 2 on 1 – real nice.

44. Oil2Oilers says:

digger50:
    Oil2Oilers,

Great post, very well thought out plan.

I like your thoughts on coaching and for Hitchcock, great idea.

I agree that one more difference maker forward would be ideal, but don’t know if the is cap room for that this year with the way I got rid of Russell and Lucic. With the exits of say Sekera and Gagner the following summer funds would open up then for a more exciting option.

45. Pouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Yup : this is a green light special. I’m sure that the pain to get rid of Lucic is real special

– The MacTs of the .org from decade + are servingup the platter for another terrible dump.

– This is us. Still. Again.

FFS…so teams were actually interested?

46. ArmchairGM says:

oilersfan:

Add Ethan Bear to what? IMO Brown can be had for a 4th round pick. That’s it.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    OriginalPouzar,

– what do you mean lag is nhl ready?

– do you think he’s ready to be the 6th D paired with an bonfire D partner?

– which D from the current group would you get did of to slot him in for game 1?And who is is his partner on game 1.

– and if he is ready what do you do with Jones?Are you ready to have them both starting game 1?If so where do they both slot?

What I mean by him being NHL ready is that he’s ready to play in the NHL.

Yes, I think he’s ready to be the #6 paired with a legit NHL D partner – that’s exactly what I think.

I am absolutely fine with him paired with Benning or Sekera on the right side.

I don’t think the organization will keep him over Jones to start – just because I believe he’s NHL ready doesn’t mean the organization will start him. I personally think he’s just as ready as Jones but, subject to performance, Jones is likely to start with the big club and Willie will wait for his chance on the Condors. The chance will come and he may never see Bakersfield again.

What does Lagesson have to do with Puljujarvi? Lagesson is now 23 (just turned), and has played four season post draft, two in college, one in the top Swedish league and one in the AHL. He has been developed methodically, patiently and perfectly.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Stanton, who has been really good, with a really poor turnover behind his own net and the puck is in a second later.

25 seconds in to the 2nd and the Gulls lead 2-1.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

Some more poor defensive zone play and turnovers and after, essentially 2 straight minutes of possession, the Gulls bury one to make it 3-1.

Starrett can’t be faulted by Skinner is coming in.

50. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Lagesson is NHL ready – he’s just not as flashy as Jones given Jones is a plus skater.

On the other hand, Lagesson is a defence first defender, an aggressive defender who is also a solid skater and puck mover (and has decent offensive instincts). He’ll get his shot next year and, when he does, he’ll become a fan favorite – a new age Jason Smith.Shit, a new age Adam Larsson.

Was Jason Smith a top 4 dman?

51. Pescador says:

who: Was Jason Smith a top 4 dman?

Fuckin Rights he was!!
    specially when he was paired with Pronger

52. Pescador says:

Pouzar: What kills me is that Friedman was saying teams didn’t want to meet the “high” Oiler asking price.
    FFS…so teams were actually interested?

Problem was teams were trying to trade with the world’s greatest talent evaluator

53. OriginalPouzar says:

San Diego finishes off a dominating 2nd with a PP goal with under a minute to go to take a 4-1 lead.

54. Professor Q says:

– This is us. Still. Again.

Maybe we need to see a Doctor, instead of our favourite Nurse?

Where we’re going, might make us worse?

John Lee Hooker – It Serves You Right To Suffer

The anthem of the Oilers?

55. who says:

Pescador: Fuckin Rights he was!!
    specially when he was paired with Pronger

Thats my point.
    OP just told me that we can’t expect all of Jones, Bouchard and Samarukov to become top 4 dmen, and yet he is already forcasting Lagesson as one?

56. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

FFS…so teams were actually interested?

– The lesson is never that management made the call and now they don’t accept their miss evaluation so they have to dump guys for fire sales that they pre announce. It’s always the players who come who are shit. Management just leaks stuff creates rage amongst fans and then thank god we got rid of that guy. I don’t get why this isn’t called out. Why are the players always tossed out but the management survives always?

– Well they got rid of that brutal GM who acted alone to sign Lucic and over pay him. It’s all on him and the leaks about Lucic having to go are from the management that just sat there. None of them wanted Lucic. And Lucic didn’t meet the expectations that that bad guy signed all alone.

57. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar:

Getting into needing a San Jose miracle territory here.

58. who says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – yeah but if management can feed the msm that Lucic is bad and he needs to go they get to dump him and blame Lucic for not listening to them after they gave him the contract and teaching him a lesson.

– The lesson is never that management made the call and now they don’t accept their miss evaluation so they have to dump guys for fire sales that they pre announce. It’s always the players who come who are shit. Management just leaks stuff creates rage amongst fans and then thank god we got rid of that guy. I don’t get why this isn’t called out.Why are the players always tossed out but the management survives always?

So you don’t think that Lucic was mostly Chias idea?
    I mean it seems like Chia had a real hard on for ex Bruins, or heavy hockey types. Lucic is both.

59. Dee Dee says:

Talk at that time was one of the reasons they hired Chia was so they could land Looch.

60. Richard Roma says:

It is fascinating how that pattern endures through so many apparent GM changes.

It’s remarkable.

61. Richard Roma says:

Rumor alert.

The Oilers tried to package Manning with Khaira to Vancouver for a pick.

62. GMB3 says:

Excellent article over on the Athletic from Fluto Shinzawa on Bruce Cassidy.

Cassidy refers to how shots from the D are lower percentage plays, encourages them to look elsewhere for better opportunities.

Good lord I hope we get a coach that shares this philosophy

63. YKOil says:

Richard Roma:
    Rumor alert. The Oilers tried to package Manning with Khaira to Vancouver for a pick.

Given Khaira makes beans (and won’t get a huge raise) and Manning can be dropped into the minors to drop hi Cap hit to a manageable $1 million or so…

Unless that is a super-awesome pick… why would they make this deal? Why? Why? Why?

Oh yeah, “Oilers”.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Thats my point.

I said its aggressive to project that all three become top 4 within 2 years which is what was suggested. As for each individual player, yes, I hope and project them in to the top 4 in time, however, history shows us that many (most) prospects don’t hit those ceilings (and it that short of a time frame).

I said William Lagesson was a new age Jason Smith – I was speaking as to style – the new age defensive d-man who is mobile and can move the puck. I never projected him anywhere in the top 4. Of course, yes, I do think he could become a 2nd pairing d-man and I could include him in the group of Jones, Samorukov and Bouchard – of course, not all will make it to that ceiling – kind of the point.

65. Oz says:

OriginalPouzar,

OP I saw Jason Smith as an earlier version of Adam Larsson, you paid the price if you were in my zone.
    New age and mobile was more like a Randy Gregg.
    By the way thanks for your updates on the Condors and God I hate lawyers , the curse of mankind 😎

66. OriginalPouzar says:

All year long the 2nd period has been the Condors’ best but last night a tough second period did them in.

They are in tough now down 3-1 but this team won’t go down without a fight. Unfortunately, they are a different team without Marody – he really is the driver of that top line. Not to mention Yamamoto.

Game 5 tonight at home.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Oz:
    OriginalPouzar,

OPI saw Jason Smith as an earlier version of Adam Larsson, you paid the price if you were in my zone.
    New age and mobile wasmore like a Randy Gregg.

We are hear to protect your rights and privileges…..

Tough to say that with a straight face given I act for banks 85% of the time and closed a $1.1B debt financing extension for an energy producer yesterday morning.

68. Pandaup says:

But OP you are by nature adversarial professionally. So your goal is actually to assault the rights and priveleges of the guy on the other side.

69. Nit64 says:

OriginalPouzar: We are hear to protect your rights and privileges…..

I rather like the privilege of wells still operating.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Pandaup:

That’s not true even a little bit. I’m a financial services lawyer. I work on debt transactions – syndicated corporate loans, bond issuances, and various types of structured debt transactions. Our transaction are not by nature adversarial. Of course, there is a high level of negotiation going on, both on business terms as well as legal and market terms, however, both sides have the same goal, to get the deal done – there is no “winner” and “loser”.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Nit64: I rather like the privilege of wells still operating.

The ramifications of the SCC Redwater decisions (what a mess) have led to me being extremely busy over the last few moths as producers are being forced to amending their existing credit to insert “ARO” provision – various provisions relating to abandonment and reclamation obligations. Its been stresful and busy but kind of fun too as the market is evolving on these provisions.

72. Washingtron says:

Driving up for the game from LA today. I’ll report in with the important stuff: Malone’s offensive prowess, bathroom line length, beer prices, etc.

Also, y’know on ticket sites when they have the slider where you can set your minimum and maximum spend window? The absolute highest this one could go was $38.