Game 6 Pacific Division Finals: Condors at Gulls

Another night where the Bakersfield Condors need a win to extend the series, this time it’s a road game. The Condors have shown their mettle, now it’s a matter of health, luck and pushing through.

Jay Woodcroft said today “we’re asking our guys to do one job, their job. When they do their job, trust your teammates are going to do their job.”

HEAD TO HEAD: BARONS V GRIFFINS

From time to time during the first portion of this decade, I’d ask about the OKC team and how players were developing. Often I would compare the Barons to Grand Rapids, Ken Holland’s farm team in Detroit. Here’s what I wrote about each in August of 2014.

R Gustav Nyquist, 24. 15GP, 7-4-11 and 57GP, 28-20-48 with Detroit. Slightly undersized winger who is brilliant and has an amazing future. How in hell they kept him on the farm for 137 games is beyond me. The best prospect on either team.

C Riley Sheahan, 21. 31GP, 8-10-18 and 42GP, 9-15-24 with Detroit. Big two-way center, a first-round pick in 2010 (ten selections before Tyler Pitlick) and he looks like a winning bet from here. Scored better in the NHL than The Hockey News suggests he will long term.

G Patr Mrazek, 21. 32GP, 2.10 .924 and 9GP, 1.74 and .927 with Detroit. The Hockey News marked him as a quality prospect and he sure has the look based on numbers. He was chosen 20 slots after Tyler Bunz, 2010.

R Tomas Jurco, 20. 32GP, 13-19-32 and 36GP, 8-7-15 with Detroit. The Hockey News tells us he’s a talented scoring winger with speed and size. That’s a universally valued player no matter the range of skills. The Hockey News says he has some maturing to do without the puck, but this is an excellent prospect.

L Teemu Pulkkinen, 21. 71GP, 31-28-59 and a cup of coffee with Detroit (3 games). The Hockey Newsdescribes him as an extremely skilled winger with slick moves. He can play either wing, the ? is size but he looks very good from here. The last 21-year old Oiler prospect to score close to 30 in the AHL? Jason Chimera popped 29 at the turn of the century.

D Ryan Sproul, 20. 72GP, 11-21-32 and a cup of coffee with Detroit (1 game). This is a 6.03, 185 offensive defenseman who could be a very good two-way player over time. Had a solid pro debut after playing in front of Darnell Nurse at SSM. I’d say he’s a quality prospect.

D Adam Almquist, 22. 73GP, 4-49-53 and 2 games (with a goal) in Detroit. Undersized puck mover drafted in the bowels of the 2009 draft enjoyed an exceptional season in the AHL. No idea if he’ll make it, but he’s a real prospect.

G Tom McCollum, 23. 46GP, 2.30 .922. A first round pick in 2008 (chosen eight slots after Jordan Eberle), he’s losing ground to Mrazek but I included him because he had the fifth-best SP in the AHL last season.

R Landon Ferraro, 22. 70GP, 15-16-31 and a cup of coffee with Detroit (4 games). Fell off offensively this season, he isn’t a big player and appears to be something of a tweener. I’ve included him because of his draft pedigree (No. 32 overall in 2009, eight selections ahead of Anton Lander).

R Mitch Callahan, 22. 70GP, 26-18-44 and a cup of coffee with Detroit (1 game). The Hockey News describes him as an energy guy with skating issues. A guess would be he’s a Pitlick comp, but that’s a guess.

D Xavier Ouellet, 20. 70GP, 4-13-17 and a cup of coffee with Detroit (4 games). Another puck mover, The Hockey News says he can run a power play but he didn’t in his first season pro (and that happens a lot). Average size, who knows? But he’s a prospect going in a good direction.

R Andrej Nestrasil, 22. 70GP, 16-20-36. Another 2009 draft pick (No. 75 overall, four picks after Troy Hesketh), he has size and took a very nice step forward this season. I don’t think there’s a long NHL career here.

D Alexey Marchenko, 21. 49GP, 3-15-18 and a cup of coffee with Detroit (1 game). Bigger defenseman with puck-moving ability, his boxcars are nothing special. Too soon to know, he could surprise.

R Martin Frk, 20. 50GP, 3-9-12. Like Ferraro, he’s included due to draft pedigree but had a poor season. Two items come to mind: playing time (like Pitlick as a rookie) and the quality of RW above him. I’d suggest we should expect a spike in the coming season.

This is an organization that develops talent in a very effective manner. If my son was an NHL prospect, I’d light a candle every hour on the hour leading up to the draft and hope the development team in Motown got him. Few till the soil with the touch of these Detroit wheels.

D Martin Marincin, 21. 24GP, 3-4-7 and 44GP, 0-6-6 with Edmonton. 6.04 and nearing 200 pounds, he was a sight for sore eyes when he got off the plane and showed he was in fact an actual defenseman. The Hockey News: Is quite lanky, with a very projectable 6-5 frame. Boasts great puck-moving qualities and offensive acumen. Also displays plenty of shutdown upside. I like him better than Klefbom, but suspect the organization prefers Treble Klef.

D Oscar Klefbom, 20. 48GP, 1-9-10 and 17GP, 1-2-3 with Edmonton. Klefbom gets nice words from The Hockey NewsOwns massive shutdown upside, thanks largely to great size (6-3, 204 pounds), a physical edge to his game and mobility. Also possesses a little puck-moving and offensive potential. An Oilers first round pick who turns out well after spending time in the AHL? That my friends is what we call a unicorn.

C Mark Arcobello, 25. 15GP, 10-18-28 and 41GP, 4-14-18 with Edmonton. A truly wonderful story, he overcame bias and his own organization to post a terrific season in both Edmonton and Oklahoma.

C Anton Lander, 22. 46GP, 18-34-52 and 27GP, 0-1-1 with Edmonton. Two-way center with average size, scored well at 19 in the Swedish league and then again last season in OKC at age 22. Other than that, crickets with the bat and truly ghastly in the NHL. A grand opportunity awaits him this season.

R Tyler Pitlick, 22. 39GP, 8-14-22 and 10GP, 1-0-1 with Edmonton. A versatile forward who has enough size and speed to play in the NHL, but may lack enough offense to hold on to an NHL job.

D Martin Gernat, 20. 57GP, 4-71-21. 6.05 and now over 200 pounds, he’s a big, raw defenseman with two-way ability. Similar in style and appearance to Martin Marincin, his rough edges may mean he’s a three year AHL defenseman. He shows potential as a complete defender.

D Taylor Fedun, 25. 65GP, 10-28-38 and a cup of coffee with Edmonton (4 games). Undersized two-way defender who seemed to get more attention for his offense than overall play.  RH, reliable and a hard worker.

D David Musil, 20. 61GP, 2-12-14. Physical stay-at-home defender overcame lack of mobility and had a strong pro debut. Musil is so good at reading sorties that he can make up for other deficiencies. The question becomes ‘can he do it in the NHL?’ and at this rate he’ll get a chance during his entry-level deal.

L Roman Horak, 22. 53GP, 21-27-48 and a cup of coffee with Edmonton (2 games). A nice pickup in mid-season, he played very well once he move over to the wing. I don’t know if we’ll see him again, but there’s evidence he can play.

D Brad Hunt, 25. 66GP, 11-39-50 and a cup of coffee with Edmonton (3 games). Puck moving defenseman who is challenged without the puck for several reasons, including size. I think he’s at the very end of the show business rung for Edmonton’s blue, but his arrows are pointed in a good direction.

D Brandon Davidson, 22. 68GP, 5-8-13. Slow start to the season, but pulled away mid-year and had an effective second half. Regarded as a two-way defender at the time of his draft, as with most defensive prospects the lack of pro power-play time has turned him into a one dimensional type.

R Andrew Miller, 24. 52GP, 8-26-34. Two-way winger had a nice second half of the season. I would guess he is among the least likely prospects to succeed on either list, but he is headed in a good direction.

L Curtis Hamilton, 22. 43GP, 8-8-16. As with Landon Ferraro, I’m including Hamilton due to draft pedigree. His scouting report via The Hockey News (“Displays good size (6-2, 206 pounds) and solid two-way capabilities. Proved capable of producing good offensive totals in the junior ranks, but he’s also a very responsible winger”) makes his lack of progress in pro hockey even more frustrating.

C Travis Ewanyk, 20. 68GP, 7-5-12. Checking center makes the list because (according to reports) of improved play during the season. I’m not bullish on his long term potential to stay in pro hockey with these kinds of boxcars, but the Oilers like him plenty.

The Oilers have two outstanding prospects in Marincin and Klefbom, followed by Mark Arcobello who we can rank as bona fide. After that, there’s a group of several who are going to get a chance, and we’ll see.

The Oilers are not in Detroit’s league in terms of development, but they are improving. This isn’t a MacT versus Tambellini issue, both men had the task of crawling from the wreckage of the team put to sleep a decade ago. That kind of shortsighted move by ownership (EIG) cost Edmonton a generation of talent, and impacted kids from 2002 to 2007. Not having structure, having to rebuild what other teams had established and cultivated for decades, had a tremendous impact on the prospects and the NHL team.

How many times did Edmonton make the call to the farm and receive dust and tumbleweeds in return? How surprised were the Oilers and their fans to see Martin Marincin’s electric performance after recall? It had been so long, so very long.

There’s no secret here. Draft and develop. The Oilers could make a trade this year, a “dealing from strength” trade that addresses need. When that day arrives, when a Colin McDonald is sent away for value instead of signing elsewhere and beginning his NHL career, another corner will have been turned.

61 Responses to "Game 6 Pacific Division Finals: Condors at Gulls"

Fascinating to look back and see how many each team graduated.

2. Rebillled says:

7 Hunt 120
    8 Taylor Fedun 100
    9 Andrew Miller 15
    10 David Musil 4
    11 Hamilton 1

4. OriginalPouzar says:

I know Skinner was rock solid in the last game but I think the net goes back to Starrett tonight – he’s the horse that got them here and was a top goalie in the league for the year.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, every time I read that scouting report on Klef, I find it so interesting that it doesn’t reflect the type of player he’s become. He’s is not a shut-down defender due primarily to his size. He is more of a puck-moving/offensive defender which has mentioned as more of an after-thought.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

“How many times did Edmonton make the call to the farm and receive dust and tumbleweeds in return?”

This is about to change and its going to be massive. For the first time in, well, forever, it looks like the team will have real NHL ready prospects waiting in the AHL – a guy like Lagesson may not crack the lineup out of camp but, when he gets his recall, he may never return.

OriginalPouzar:

This is about to change and its going to be massive.For the first time in, well, forever, it looks like the team will have real NHL ready prospects waiting in the AHL – a guy like Lagesson may not crack the lineup out of camp but, when he gets his recall, he may never return.

8. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: We hope for many and I do think these are promising players in Bakersfield. Is the current group going to turn out more players than the Nyquist Griffins? That is the question.

Still recovering from that seems odd, but true. Let alone Chiarelli.

9. leadfarmer says:

Professor Q: It was an odd time when they didn’t have an AHL team, or loaned players to other teams, or shared teams.

Still recovering from that seems odd, but true.

It’s an excuse we love
    But Binnington was on someone else’s Ahl team
    Handicap sure
    But not insurmountable

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Well, i was wrong about the goalie.

No mention of Marody but I assume no mention means he’s not playing:

Ryan Holt

Verified account

@CondorsHolty
    2m2 minutes ago
    Skinner leads the Condors out. No Bear nor Esposito again. Callahan, Hebig, Kulevich, and Vesey all on ice.

11. Professor Q says:

leadfarmer,

This is the Oilers we are discussing.

They will surmount the insurmountable. Err…you know what I mean. The opposite of that.

12. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Well, i was wrong about the goalie.

No mention of Marody but I assume no mention means he’s not playing:

Ryan Holt

Verified account

@CondorsHolty2m2 minutes ago

13. leadfarmer says:

HBO has made another great one with Chernobyl

leadfarmer:
    HBO has made another great one with Chernobyl

Honestly don’t know if I can watch it.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Callahan in for Hebig the only lineup change.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Gulls open the scoring on their first shot less than a minute in.

First shot on net – really weak on Skinner.

Not going back to one of the top goalies in the league may prove very costly.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Honestly don’t know if I can watch it.

18. Professor Q says:

I know I am way too late for this, but wow, that non-call on the American slew-footing the Finn for the winning goal must shame the IIHF greatly.

Even the Americans seemed iffy about it during the ceremony, and weren’t even celebrating.

19. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: HBO Canada links to stream through Crave – I got Crave a little while ago solely for Billions – I suppose I could do so again (I cancelled it after I watch BIllions).

I don’t have thousands, let alone billions, to spend on this Crave thingy!

20. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Gulls open the scoring on their first shot less than a minute in.

First shot on net – really weak on Skinner.

Not going back to one of the top goalies in the league may prove very costly.

Very Oilers of him… He will fit in perfectly!

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors tie it up – Bouch with a great job to get the puck to the net on the PP – quick little wrister under pressure – Malone cleans up the rebound.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

I think like 6 of Bouch’s 7 points have come on shots from the point (and 5 of them off non-slappers).

I’m not sure if that is a good thing or not as I’m not sure if just getting the puck through on a wrister/snapper will translate to success in the NHL – its rarely seen, isn’t it?

We’ll find out!

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Gulls take the lead right back!

Not a terrible goal – high danger shot from the slot but Skinner was down early – Time to get the potential AHL goalie of the year in to the net.

24. who says:

OriginalPouzar:

We’ll find out!

Brent Burns makes 8 million a year for doing exactly this!

25. bwar says:

That was an interesting penalty, there is some bizarre officiating at the AHL level.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Bwar – you don’t blog for CnB do you?

I’m afraid I thought you were someone else and I really really really, from the bottom of my heart, apologize. I’m really sorry. I have no excuse.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Dammit – off to ball hockey – 9pm, what an egregious start time.

I’ll get home as the game is ending – will check updates in between shifts but am really hoping the game changes.

Enjoy all.

2 hours sleep tonight is going to suck.

28. Ben says:

Rebillled:
    Gondors!

For Rohan!

29. Ben says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Gulls open the scoring on their first shot less than a minute in.

First shot on net – really weak on Skinner.

Not going back to one of the top goalies in the league may prove very costly.

And….Starrett comes in. Kind of a weird pull right near the end of the first period.

30. oilersfan says:

I would say it seems like Calgary scores a huge amount of there goals off of tipped point shots and rebounds. Will be nice to have Bouch creating scoring opportuntities like Gio has for the last 10 years for the lames

31. Mr DeBakey says:

Ben: For Rohan!

A fell People!

32. bwar says:

OriginalPouzar,

I do not blog for CnB. I justr like hanging out in the comments section.

33. bwar says:

Bouchard back to being a ppg player closing the lead to 1.

34. Westchester Oil says:

I do the same for Billions and GoT. Billions is a fabulous show (especially for someone like me who works in the investment industry and knows some of the characters that inspired the show) but it’s been overshadowed by GoT this year.

35. Oilertown says:

OriginalPouzar, Justin Schultz

36. bwar says:

down 5-2 heading to the third, I don’t like these odds.

37. v4ance says:

Westchester Oil,

Game of Thrones went in the toilet starting with some of last year’s episodes. The producers guessed how the finale would go but they were incapable of setting up the endgame with any sort of finesse.

Once they went past GRR Martin’s source material, they settled for doing a Michael Bay treatment full of spectacle but thin on plot or character development.

38. Pescador says:

v4ance,

Okay easy there Roger Ebert

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilertown:
    OriginalPouzar, Justin Schultz

40. Oilertown says:

OriginalPouzar: I knew Schultz was going to get brought up but that wrist shot from the point of his was highly ineffective as an Oiler – a couple got through near the beginning of his career and the narrative took off but, after that, highly ineffective.

Fully agree, lets hope Bouchard has a more effective one. Age difference to consider as well which is a good thing.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

Its tough to argue with 8 points in 8 games in the AHL playoffs.

I believe 7 of those points came on point shots (maybe even all 8) and at 6 came from wrist/snap shots.

The ability to get that puck through is itself a skill, I’m just not 100% sure it translates to the NHL level as a skill that leads to production in the same way – Hope it does though because he certainly has it.

42. v4ance says:

Pescador:
    v4ance,

Okay easy there Roger Ebert

It’s pretty easy to measure.

This final season of GoT have the last TWO episodes listed with ratings of 6.2 and 6.6 out of 10 and the running average is about 7.6/10 with one episode to come. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/episodes?season=8

If you go back through the previous seasons, the lowest rated episode was 8.1 but the average tended to be around 9/10 or higher each and every season.

43. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Its tough to argue with 8 points in 8 games in the AHL playoffs.

He has other skills, and can get it in in other ways (and can slap it to keep them honest), but if he uses it like Lidstrom and Burns made their careers, then we’ll be fine.

Maybe Holland can implement the “miss the net from the point shot intentionally so the puck bounces back into the slot” play Detroit was famous for?

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Absolutely, of course he has other skills – I’m just trying to stay grounded with his 8 points in 8 AHL playoff games and take a reasoned view of how he accumulated them.

I’m getting goodumps at the prospect of him putting up 30-35 points in his first 40 AHL games next year and the options that would/will open up for the team.

45. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:

Any idea what his average TOI was in those 8 games?

46. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar: The ability to get that puck through is itself a skill, I’m just not 100% sure it translates to the NHL level as a skill that leads to production in the same way

And yes, a lot of the point shots are not designed to score, they are low and hard and designed to create rebounds. He has such a vast array of shooting techniques it’s amazing.

47. Reja says:

ArmchairGM: It’s the same ability as the seeing-eye passes that he’s known for – he sees seams that nobody else does, whether it’s the net or a streaking winger at the other end. Vision, as the scouts say.

Bouchard reminds me of Larry Murphy. He is going to be a point producing machine starting next year I can’t wait for that Oiler hating Troll Craig Button try to backpedal on Bouchard starting next year

48. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Looks like injuries and some unfortunately timed regression in between the pipes caught up with our California birds.

Too bad, it would have been great to see them carry on.

Regardless, hell of a season for those guys, very happy to see the steps taken forward by a whole bunch of players. Hope they all have good off-season’s and come back hungry in the fall.

Hat tip to Jay Woodcroft, very solid outing for his first pro-head-coaching gig. I truly hope he sticks around, while we rightly focus a lot on the player prospects it would be a shame to lose another (cough Todd Nelson cough) coaching prospect.

49. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:

The way Bouchard is moving up the food chain he may never see the AHL again.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Any idea what his average TOI was in those 8 games?

Not alot – until the last two games, which Bear missed, Woody went wit 7D in all his games and he was not taking a regular even strength shift. In his first 2-3 games, I would estimate his ice time at less than 10 minutes total through regulation.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Any idea what his average TOI was in those 8 games?

52. jp says:

Reja: The way Bouchard is moving up the food chain he may never see the AHL again.

He very well may not.

It’s really remarkable he managed to score a point per game in Bakersfield considering his very limited TOI.

I’ll be curious to see the eTOI, as well as the final totals for Wilde’s on ice tracking (thank you for it by the way!)

53. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Persson was a smart “block” for the Bouchard/Bear’s etc.

Pretty sure the plan is for game 1 of next season:

Klef-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell (or different guy if they can make trade)
    Sek-Persson

– So Persson gets first crack as he’s the oldest, on a one way. Bouchard et al they stay in the minors. Benning is the guy they trade. If Persson sucks, they can bring in other guys

– They’ve done a good job with this batch of D development IMO:

1) Laggs: year in Europe, year in AHL,
    2) Jones: 2 years in AHL, taste of NHL when injuiries
    3) Bear : 2 years in AHL, taste of NHL when injuries
    4) Bouchard: sheltered in first AHL playoffs, not a regular, will earn trust in AHL next year, and have regular shift, blocked by more developed D above

54. Reja says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Persson was a smart “block” for the Bouchard/Bear’s etc.

Pretty sure the plan is for game 1 of next season:

Klef-Larsson
    Nurse-Russell (or different guy if they can make trade)
    Sek-Persson

– So Persson gets first crack as he’s the oldest, on a one way.Bouchard et al they stay in the minors.Benning is the guy they trade.If Persson sucks, they can bring in other guys

– They’ve done a good job with this batch ofD development IMO:

1) Laggs: year in Europe, year in AHL,
    2) Jones: 2 years in AHL, taste of NHL when injuiries
    3) Bear : 2 years in AHL, taste of NHL when injuries

If Bouchard is ready for 3rd pairing sheltered role PP QB which will add a whole new dimension to our PP add a one timer Letestu easily top 5. Fix the PK and Oilers are instantly a playoff team Holland knows this.

55. Richard Roma says:

Why didn’t Woodcroft play Manning? He has to be better than Lowe and Kulevich?

Reja: If Bouchard is ready for 3rd pairing sheltered role PP QB which will add a whole new dimension to our PP add a one timerLetestu easily top 5. Fix the PK and Oilers are instantly a playoff team Holland knows this.

The player should play at a level of hockey where he can play 20 minutes per game in all situations.

57. jimmers2 says:

Richard Roma:
    Why didn’t Woodcroft play Manning? He has to be better than Lowe and Kulevich?

If you need to ask the question…

58. Jethro Tull says:

godot10: It is a massive mistake for the first pro season of a top D prospect to be in a sheltered role.

59. Reja says:

I disagree let Bouchard rack up the points and gain his confidence and move up the food chain accordingly. Holland didn’t come here to tuck around on a make believe 5 year- plan he came here to win starting the day he took the job.

Jethro Tull: Then he’d never make it. Conventional wisdom is that they play sheltered minutes until ready. See Schultz, Justin.

My point was that Evan Bouchard should start in the AHL, at a level of play where he can play in all situations, 20 minutes per game, in a non-sheltered role.

Starting Bouchard in the NHL would be a massive mistake in a 3rd pairing protected role.

61. UnjustEnrichment says:

godot10,

Exactly. Let Bouchard master things at the AHL level before doing so in the NHL. We know he can generate points wherever he is, but if we want him to be a complete player, we need to let him develop in the AHL first, and prepare him for subsequent success as a complete player in the NHL. Short term sacrifice for long term gain. No more ruining of prospects.