We are here. The Edmonton Oilers hired Ken Holland as general manager, Dave Tippett as coach. Yesterday, Tippett not only embraced analytics, he spoke about it with passion, authority and conviction. He breathes scoring chance data, it’s right next to his Bible and giant container of Dapper Dan. He has a plan. So does Holland. It’s morning in Edmonton. Do you trust it?
The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE OFFER IS HERE!
- New Lowetide: Analyzing the Oilers roster to see which players fit Dave Tippett’s ‘aggressive, fast team’ approach
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Dave Tippett’s coaching philosophy, how he relays information to his players and why information is king
- Lowetide: What will Ken Holland see in Evan Bouchard?
- Lowetide: Does Oilers’ signing of Joakim Nygard signal a measured approach to summer 2019?
- Lowetide: Dave Tippett’s roster deployment in Arizona and what it might mean for the Oilers
- Jonathan Willis: Why Ken Holland’s worst years in Detroit tell us the most about how he’ll fare in Edmonton
- Jonathan Willis: Three offseason scenarios and how each one would affect the Oilers salary cap
- Lowetide: Examining the Oilers’ goaltending options in free agency.
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s Oilers could go the high octane procurement route but will need a driver
- Lowetide: How much can Connor Brown help the Oilers?
- Lowetide: Dmitri Samorukov is off to the Memorial Cup and is the Oilers’ fastest rising prospect
- Jonathan Willis: Craig MacTavish leaves the Oilers, signalling the first major front office change under Ken Holland
- Lowetide: What kind of coach should Ken Holland hire for the Oilers?
- Jonathan Willis: Every Oilers AHL prospect, rated by how close they are to the NHL
- Jonathan Willis: A resurgent Andrej Sekera gives the Oilers much-needed defensive options
- Lowetide: Is Joe Gambardella destined to become the Oilers’ next Fernando Pisani?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Protector, supporter, confidant: Connor McDavid’s mom, Kelly, is his off-ice rock through good times and bad
- Lowetide: An offseason plan for Ken Holland to remodel the Oilers roster.
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ken Holland steadfast that buck stops with him as new Oilers GM.
- Lowetide: How will Ken Holland proceed in Year 1 as Oilers general manager?
- Jonathan Willis: What does the arrival of Ken Holland mean for the Oilers coaching search?
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Prioritizing the roster issues that await Ken Holland in Edmonton.
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s procurement list for his rumored move to Edmonton will include front-office personnel
- Jonathan Willis: A Milan Lucic trade is at the top of the to-do list for the Oilers’ next GM.
Dave Tippett was introduced by Ken Holland as Edmonton’s 16th head coach. I would like to mention Ray Kinasewich, Bill Hunter, Brian Shaw, Clare Drake and Bep Guidolin, who coached the WHA Oilers. History is important, and that means all of it, not just the convenient stuff.
My Top 100 goes Saturday here at Lowetide, the combine is leaking some interesting information.
Mike Morreale reports via NHL.com that Spencer Knight will talk to 27 teams this week. Math suggests Edmonton would be one of them, wonder if they see him as the second round pick.
The Oilers value the NHL combine, four of their five selections (including sixth rounder Michael Kesselring) were at last year’s edition.
The “Matt Benning for Connor Brown” trade makes more sense to me after the Tippett avail.
Peter Chiarelli mostly kept the LH side of the blue (Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse), adding Andrej Sekera via free agency. He completely turned over the RH side, bringing in Adam Larsson, Kris Russell and Matt Benning. Will Ken Holland re-do RH side, too? He has Evan Bouchard, Joel Persson, Ethan Bear and others percolating.
Looking for bargoon’s on the UFA list that have a connection to Holland or Tippett is fun. Goalie Mike Smith has been mentioned by many, and used as a horror movie trailer on twitter for about 10 days now. Richard Panik or Thomas Vanek might be the tonic, Sam Gagner is already here.
Milan Lucic for Loui Eriksson has been discussed by Canucks management, according to Jason Gregor (here). That’s twice recently where Lucic to Van has made headlines (ML talked about returning to the docks earlier in the spring). Edmonton would be getting a better 5-on-5 scorer (10 even-strength goals a year ago) and someone who can help on the PK.
Tippett mentioned speed a few times yesterday, I wonder if that impacts Adam Larsson, Jujhar Khaira, Sam Gagner, Milan Lucic, Kyle Brodziak, Colby Cave and Ty Rattie?
The Oilers have signed winger Joe Gambardella to a two-year extension. I’m pleased to see it, he fits the Tippett ‘aggressive’ game plan perfectly.
50-MAN ROSTER (SANS RFA’S) (39)
Holland and Tippett have plenty of room and lots of work to do. RFA’s Tobias Rieder, Jujhar Khaira, Tyler Vesel, Colin Larkin, Jesse Puljujarvi, Ty Rattie, Robin Norell and Shane Starrett have to be signed or not signed, plus Ryan Mantha’s situation has to be addressed (I imagine this summer).
UFA’s Alex Chiasson, Kevin Gravel, Alex Petrovic, Anthony Stolarz, Brad Malone, Patrick Russell and Mitch Callahan are also in the conversation (or not) as it pertains to new contracts.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey kicks things off with his take on yesterday’s press conference. Kris Abbott from OddsShark will be by to talk about the NHL and NBA finals, and Jeff Paulus, FC Edmonton Director of Soccer, Head Coach, about the season so far and what’s ahead. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!