A Trip to Reasonable

One year ago at this time, I projected the Oilers to score 215 goals in 2018-19. They scored 229. I projected the top two lines to score 131 goals, the top two lines scored 162 goals. I projected the top four defensemen to score 16 goals, they delivered 23 goals. What’s the problem? Every other damned thing.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group. INSANE OFFER IS HERE!

• New Jonathan Willis: Differing needs of Oilers, Jets could create a trade fit
  • New Lowetide: How will Ken Holland build around Connor McDavid?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The top five players the Oilers could lose in the expansion draft
  • Jonathan Willis: What a trade involving Edmonton’s No. 8 pick might look like given Ken Holland’s history
  • LowetideHard Target Search: Finding the Oilers a centre who can penalty kill, help shape a useful third line, and serve in a mentor role
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How a third-line grinder launched the star-filled Oilers to their first Stanley Cup and a hockey dynasty.
  • Lowetide: Is Zack Kassian the answer for the McDavid-Draisaitl line?
  • Lowetide: NHL Combine brings Oilers dual problems into focus for Ken Holland
  • Lowetide: Analyzing the Oilers roster to see which players fit Dave Tippett’s ‘aggressive, fast team’ approach
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Dave Tippett’s coaching philosophy, how he relays information to his players and why information is king
  • Lowetide: What will Ken Holland see in Evan Bouchard?
  • Lowetide: Does Oilers’ signing of Joakim Nygard signal a measured approach to summer 2019?
  • Lowetide: Dave Tippett’s roster deployment in Arizona and what it might mean for the Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: Why Ken Holland’s worst years in Detroit tell us the most about how he’ll fare in Edmonton
  • Jonathan Willis: Three offseason scenarios and how each one would affect the Oilers salary cap
  • Lowetide: Examining the Oilers’ goaltending options in free agency.
  • Jonathan Willis: Every Oilers AHL prospect, rated by how close they are to the NHL
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Protector, supporter, confidant: Connor McDavid’s mom, Kelly, is his off-ice rock through good times and bad
  • Lowetide: An offseason plan for Ken Holland to remodel the Oilers roster.

RE 2018-19

I wrote a final RE at The Athletic last summer, but even before the draft I was projecting the 2018-19 team and how the lines and pairings might look. Here’s how I projected things last June, compared to how things worked out, line by line:

Line 1 Lowetide Proj 2018-19: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins [25]—Connor McDavid [40]—Ty Rattie [12]; Line 1 Actual: Leon Draisaitl [50] —Connor McDavid [41]—Zack Kassian [15]. The No. 1 line outscored my projections 106 goals to 77. No matter what, the Leon-McDavid duo is an offensive monster. They need to outscore though, this trio posted just 23-19 in 284 minutes in 2018-19. I like Kassian, believe he can play there, but Holland should be looking for an upgrade.

Line 2 Lowetide Proj 2018-19: Milan Lucic [15]—Leon Draisaitl [27]—Drake Caggiula [12]; Line 2 Actual: Milan Lucic [6] —Ryan Nugent-Hopkins [28]—Alex Chiasson [22]. I projected 54 goals, the second line delivered 56. Of course these men played with other players but as a trio (just 95 minutes) they were outscored 2-4. Chiasson did reasonably well with Leon-McDavid, scoring 14-10 as a line in 247 minutes. Nuge had very little consistency in terms of linemates through the year.

Line 3 Lowetide Projection 2018-19: Jujhar Khaira [8]—Ryan Strome [15]—Jesse Puljujarvi [16]; Line 3 Actual: Jujhar Khaira [3]—Kyle Brodziak [6]—Sam Gagner [5]. I’m cobbling together leftovers now, it’s like a Sunday morning trip to the fridge for food when the car won’t get me to town. I projected 39 goals, this group provided 14. Gack! I do like Khaira and Gagner as bottom six options but my goodness trading Strome was a bad idea. They need a two-way center badly for this line. I think that’s a key area this summer.

Line 4 Lowetide Projection 2018-19: Pontus Aberg [7]— Brad Malone [3]— Zack Kassian [8]; Line 4 Actual: Ty Rattie [4]— Colby Cave [2]— Jesse Puljujarvi [4]. I projected 18 goals, the fourth line delivered 10. That isn’t awful, but the real story here is the extreme lack of depth on this roster.

No. 1 Pairing, Lowetide Projection for 2018-19: Oscar Klefbom [8] — Adam Larsson [2] ; Top Pairing Actual: Oscar Klefbom [5]—Adam Larsson [3]. I think there’s a chance one of these players gets sent out this summer, I’d hold back the water and retain the talented Swedes and their contracts. Perhaps the time will come to deal one of them, it isn’t now.

No. 2 Pairing, Lowetide Projection for 2018-19: Andrej Sekera [4]—Kris Russell [2]; Second Pairing Actual: Darnell Nurse [10] Kris Russell [3]. I projected six, the pairing delivered 13. Nurse went 9-22-31 at even strength and his 10 goals we better than all but five roster forwards.

No. 3 Pairing, Lowetide Projection for 2018-19: Darnell Nurse [5] — Matt Benning [6]; Third Pairing Actual: Andrej Sekera [0] Matt Benning [5]. I projected 11, third pairing delivered five but that’s because Sekera was hurt. I’m a fan of Benning, don’t know if he’ll return. He has some quiet offense, Oilers will miss it.

Holland needs wingers and he needs a No. 3 center, plus the goalie. We haven’t looked yet, not fully, so here are the free agents and then the trade pieces.

FREE AGENTS

1 Goalie Robin Lehner. What a season! He’ll cost way too much, and who the hell knows if he could recreate the magic, but for just money he could be the best buy on the market.

2 Brian Elliott. He makes a lot of sense and I think he’ll be affordable. I could list other goalies but these two make sense.

3 R Brett Connolly. I’m not sure what the asking price will be, but Connolly would make a fine winger for the Nuge line and could move up as required.

4 R Joonas Donskoi. Speedy and skilled, he can play either wing and shouldn’t cost the moon. I expect SJS will sign him but Donskoi would be a fine addition.

5 L Patrick Maroon. He’ll cost too much and he’s not fast enough, but he’s proven with 97 and I think that may have value for Holland.

6 L Michael Ferland. He’s a Chiarelli type but Holland likes aggressive, rugged wingers who can score, too. I think he might be a target.

7 L Brandon Tanev. I like his two-way play and he might be a bargain (should be available later day one or day two).

8 L Tyler Ennis. He’s going to be sought after and maybe Toronto signs him before July 1, but he’s an ideal option for Edmonton.

9 R Alex Chiasson. He’s an attractive player for the Oilers, depending on price. I’m fine with him as an addition but would like a more certain scorer.

10 LC Oscar Linbderg. He can play center or wing, has enough skill to project onto the third line, maybe higher in a pinch. Not famous, which is good.

11 L Brandon Pirri. Similar to Ennis, I don’t think he makes it to free agency while also believing he’s a terrific fit for the Oilers.

TRADE TARGETS

1 RD Jacob Trouba. The ultimate this summer, Edmonton can’t get it done and he isn’t going to sign with them long term.

2 L Jason Zucker. He must feel like yesterday’s papers by now, but Zucker has real value. He would be a solid acquisition.

3 RC Jack Roslovic. Yes! What a fantastic turn of events for some team. Roslovic would be a Godsend.

4 R Connor Brown. I think there’s a good chance he’s an Oiler by September.

5 RD Colin Miller. Puck moving defender fits a need, although he’s coming off a mediocre season.

6 RC Jean-Gabriel Pageau. An ideal fit for the No. 3 center slot, hopefully he’s a major target.

7 L Andreas Johnsson. Push comes to shove, I think Toronto chooses this player to trade (if necessary). Johnsson is a splendid option.

8 L Aleksi Saarela. If the Oilers are trading Jesse Puljujarvi to Carolina, it behooves Holland to acquire a promising offensive player. Saarela is such a player.

125 Responses to "A Trip to Reasonable"

1. leadfarmer says:

All Holland has to do is add
    Zucker Roslovic Miller Barakovsky and Elliott and id be very happy

2. Ben says:

Love the Roslovic idea. I’d offer Lagesson/Bear and a mid-round pick (yes OP, we know you really like Lagesson). Not sure if I’d do JP straight-up, but it would be close.

This team so badly needs a Marchant-Moreau-Grier line.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

What’s the problem? Everything else? Yup – in particular socring depth and goals against.

How much of the goals against issue, which was massive, was a function of bad goaltending and how much was a function of bad defence?

How much did bad defence figure in to the bad goaltending?

How much of the bad defence was the culpability of the forwards?

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Can we talk a bit about McDavid and Drai together vs. apart?

Leon scored 50 last year and they are indeed dynamic together but, as posted by others (was it Jaxon? JP? Armchair?) over three years, JP/McDavid scored at similar rates to Drai/McDavid and gives up materially less goals per 60 for a higher goal share. The sample is small but its there. Also, when Lucic is excluded, JP/McDavid score at almost identical rate as Drai/McDavid.

My point isn’t necessarily that Jesse should start in the spot (nor am I 100% against that) but simply that there are other options out there.

The issue in the past with Drai away from McDavid has not been GF – he’s shown to produce at top line rates away from Connor and often with middling linemates. The issue has been leaking goals and losing the battle.

Now that Hitch has “fixed” Drai and his 200 foot game, and consistency of such game, too a massive step forward in the last third of the season, do we not have confidence that Drai can lead an out-scoring second line?

5. Andy Dufresne says:

Robin Lehner was crap in Buffalo. Islanders were one of the worst teams for goals against in the league.

Potentially lethally bad scenario to have such a terrible goalie playing on such a defensively poor team.

What happened? Hmm lets see. What changed. Hmmm, can’t put my finger on it….Hmmm….OH YEAH! Barry “f#cking” Trotz, Thats what happened!!!

Cant wait to see what effect Dave Tippet has on team defense, overall goal suppression and hence better goalering.

Prediciton: Koskinen looks amazing by Christmas. He’ll somehow “magically” find his game.

If goalies are voodoo, Head Coaches are the Voodoo Priests.

#youdothatvoodoothatyoudosowell
    #dembones

Dem Bones Dem Bones Dem Chicken Bones…..

And the Goals Against connected to the Team D
    And the Team D connected to the Shot Suppression
    And the Shot Suppression connected to the Ricki D
    And the Ricki D connected to the Trophy…..
    (….Vezina that is……)
    And the One trophy connected to that Other Trophy
    (…Stanley that is….)

6. Ben says:

OriginalPouzar: How much did bad defence figure in to the bad goaltending?

Start with Trotz zooming goalies, look at Brodeur’s career, maybe follow some of the best vs. elite defenders and see how they interact with goalie results.

An interesting case study closer to home would be Talbot. Great 1B results in NY, one stunning year in Edmonton, fell off of a cliff. Wonder how much was fatigue, how much was Klefbom/Sekera injury, how much was PK incompetence.

I think we underestimate just how important Letestu was to the team in the playoff year on both special teams. They never adequately replaced that player.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Brian Elliot seems like the ideal 1B acquisition presumably at 1 X $2.5M. Lehner would require more AAV and term I would think. Mrazek, R. Miller, Curtis M. seem like other solid options.

I’ve been on the Pirri train for a while and Ennis is in the same category (would rather try Pirri) – one of those two would be a great low risk bet to provide a value contract if they can find some chemistry with one of the skill forwards.

I think I’d like to move on from Chiasson – I feel he’s going to want term, 3 years and, even if its under $2M, I’m not sure I want to commit – there will be regression and his P/60 was barely 4th line rates. There are better ways to spend $1.5M – $2M I think.

Ben: I’d love to read a Willis deep-dive on the effect of defensive tactics on save percentage.

Talbot’s story includes being overused badly in Edmonton.

9. dustrock says:

Remember the conundrum of the home/away PK differential? Never seen anything like it and no adequate explanation.

I’ll go to my early grave blaming the Hunter orange jerseys.

Oilers won’t be elite until they return to the blue/white combo.

10. dustrock says:

Lowetide: Talbot’s story includes being overused badly in Edmonton.

Given such amazing performances by players such as Rask and Leonard, who were given more rest than usual, I think you’re going to start to see this more often, at least for the teams who could afford to rest their stars for a few games.

The goal of the Oilers should be to field a team who has a shot at beating half the teams in the league without McDavid.

11. geowal says:

LT did you ever do your “pennants” post this year after the conference finals, or so you do that after the cup? I always look forward to that one.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Would Maroon be expensive? He had a really tough year, even being healthy scratched, ending up with 10 goals and under 30 points. He scored a big goal in the playoffs but has 7 points in 24 games.

Not saying he should be a target but not sure he would be expensive – likely wants term though at his age.

geowal:

OriginalPouzar:
    Would Maroon be expensive?He had a really tough year, even being healthy scratched, ending up with 10 goals and under 30 points. He scored a big goal in the playoffs but has 7 points in 24 games.

Estimates have him at $3.6 million, that’s dear.

15. flyfish1168 says:

LT ” L Aleksi Saarela. If the Oilers are trading Jesse Puljujarvi to Carolina, it behooves Holland to acquire a promising offensive player. Saarela is such a player.”

I would rather Holland trades for him and be able to keep Jesse. I would rather see them be friends and build chemistry together. Start them as the 3rd line or have them with Nuge.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Trouba will be as tough to sign as Nurse is going to be – not to mention the acquisition cost.

Pageau would be great – given money issues, would Puljujarvi come close to getting it done? Not that I’m on board with trading Jesse but IF the GM decides it will be done.

Buyer beware on Collin Miller – he’d play 2RD in Edmonton but has been a 3RD over the last few years. A bit over-rated in my opinion.

Benning/Johnson makes more sense to me than Benning/Brown.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Jaxon: I included him because he has a different value. And the left side has some depth
    Nurse
    Klefbom
    Sekera/Russell
    Jones
    Samorukov
    Lagesson
    The top LD are set. 3LD has a solid, if overpaid, veteran who can play 2LD. So you can be patient with Jones and Samorukov and they only have to eventually be as good as 3LD to be useful.
    Is that enough depth to let one of the the youngsters go to get you Tomasino?

Lagesson had a great season but don’t Jones and Samorukov still have a higher ceiling?

On the right side
    Larsson
    Benning
    Bear
    Bouchard
    Persson
    Berglund

That’s a lot of unproven players still fighting for 2nd and 3rd pair. Benning might be able to handle 2RD, but it is not certain. We really don’t know who will come out on top so I’d be more reluctant to give any of them up. Bouchard appears to be an eventual sure thing to at least fill 2RD, but that isn’t guaranteed and might not happen for another couple of years. Can Bear handle 3RD? Can Persson? Berglund? To many unknowns to get rid of one I think.

Sekera and Russell are both there but, as we know, within 2 years max, they will both be gone.

Yes, Samorukov has a higher ceiling that Lagesson (and Jones) – I think he has a higher ceiling that Bouchard and has 1LD potential. Of course, the chances of him meeting that high ceiling are fairly low. I do think he will be an NHL player but, as of now, he is a prospect coming out of junior with great arrows. We really have no idea when (and if) he’ll arrive. Higher potential, yes, but, at this point, I would almost say that Lagesson is more of a “lock” for an NHL career because, personally, I think he’s as NHL ready as Jones.

I don’t know if I agree that Jones has a higher ceiling than Lagesson. I likely over-rate Willie but I think most undervalue his potential. He is a vastly different player than Jones but, at the same time, potentially just as valuable. He isn’t the Jason Smith or even Adam Larsson defensive defender. He is the “new age” defensive defender – in addition to his great defence with aggression and tenacity, he is also a good skater and good puck mover with offensive instincts.

I think he has potential to be a plus 2LD for years – not necessarily putting up 40 points but he’s not a black hole offensively and, in time, I think he can eat 22 minutes a game (like Larsson but with better skating, offensive IQ and transition).

18. Psyche says:

It doesn’t feel like a great off-season to be a buyer. Plenty of teams ahead of the Oilers in terms of cap space. Combine this with a limited UFA pool and there’s bound to be some gaudy contracts.

Let’s hope Mr. Holland can avoid the 30+ crowd. I have no idea why GM’s overvalue their experience and old legs in this day and age.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Krebs has torn his Achilles.

20. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Krebs has torn his Achilles.

if he is still available in the 2nd round he would be a good gamble

21. geowal says:

Lowetide: I didn’t do it, thought it might be getting old. I’ll probably post it now that you’ve mentioned it, I’ve always enjoyed it myself.

Nice. Makes sense with the cup upcoming.
    If I’m being honest my favourite part of it is seeing Toronto ‘ last’ and watching that margin spread. Not many left waiting for their first appearance. (Columbus, Phoenix)

22. Ice Sage says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Krebs has torn his Achilles.

Wow, poor kid just dropped into Benson draft range = longer term project. Oil gotta pass.

23. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Krebs has torn his Achilles.

Poor kid, that’s bad timing and then some.

24. Ice Sage says:

geowal: Nice. Makes sense with the cup upcoming.

Winnipeg, too. Seattle will probably beat those teams to a pennant, it’s Gary’s way

25. Rondo says:

OriginalPouzar,

Well then if Dach and Cozens aren’t available Boldy looks like the choice.

26. v4ance says:

Corey Pronman @coreypronman

Hearing that projected first round pick Peyton Krebs tore his Achilles during offseason training. He could miss training camp but should be back early in the season.

Krebs shouldn’t drop much…

27. Reja says:

v4ance:
    Corey Pronman @coreypronman

Krebs shouldn’t drop much…

10 spots at least unless a GM wants to roll his top 20 pick on damaged goods.

28. v4ance says:

Reja: 10 spots at least unless a GM wants to roll his top 20 pick on damaged goods.

Short sighted thinking at it’s best. You’re not drafting him for this one injured off season, you’re picking him as a top 6 forward who should give you at least 6 years of quality production.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Estimates have him at $3.6 million, that’s dear.

Seems outlandish, doesn’t it?

30. Rondo says:

Scott Cruickshank

@ByCruickshank
    18m

Mishap happened Tuesday on the ice … another player’s skate blade cut through Krebs’s cut-proof sock and into his Achilles tendon. Underwent surgery for partial tear Friday in Calgary. Full recovery expected, according to agent Kevin Korol. No timeline yet.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

The Krebs injury is not great news for the Oilers as, given he is likely to drop, it makes it less likely a higher ranked player will drop to 8 as the tier just lost 1.

32. jp says:

LT, why don’t you think Mrazek’s an option for G? Shouldn’t be overly expensive, only 27 and ties to Holland.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Scott Cruickshank

Verified account

@ByCruickshank
    24m24 minutes ago
    More Scott Cruickshank Retweeted Corey Pronman

34. tileguy says:

OriginalPouzar,

Lots of outlandish on that list. Is ebs really going to get 6×7 and alex 3×3?

35. DBO says:

I think we have to temper our expectations for Holland to make a major move. Acquisition cost and our albatross contracts limit what we can do.

I would be ecstatic on these moves being our summer.

1. Russell moved with an asset, for a prospect, no money retained
    2. Trade Benning for Connor Brown
    3. Trade picks or prospect for Miller from Vegas (they have cap issues and will not want an nhl player back)
    4. Trade Khaira and a prospect for Pageau. Save’s them money, stocks prospect cupboard and they get a cheap cost controlled player in Khaira.

Yes we still have Lucic, cause I think it will be too painful to send him away this summer in salary retained and an extra asset. But those moves solidify our middle six, PK, adds speed and gives us a reasonable 2nd or 3rd pairing RH d to balance our d pairings and add a solid 2 PP qb.

36. Turtlebomber says:

OriginalPouzar:
    What’s the problem?Everything else? Yup – in particular socring depth and goals against.

How much did bad defence figure in to the bad goaltending?

How much of the bad defence was the culpability of the forwards?

37. silasbengtsson says:

Andy Dufresne,

A couple of Lehner’s underlying numbers over the past few years actually have him ranked pretty consistently in the top-10 (almost top-5 iirc) among goalies. Buffalo was just so bad that even the best goalie wouldn’t have saved them.

I’m sure coaching has something to do with it but we’d be unwise to pretend Lehner was just some shit goalie with no ability through his time with Buffalo.

38. Ben says:

Awesome share by Kournianos showing what teams have had the most success with 3rd-7th round picks from 14-17.

TB leading in total games, no surprise, but with only 3 players playing more than 10 NHL games. A couple of teams had 4.

Oilers 23rd with 35 games from these players, two who’ve played more than 10 games (Jones and Bear, I think?).

DAL and CBJ with just 1 game played from these picks.

The normal complement of picks on the chart would be 20.

39. geowal says:

Rondo:
    Scott Cruickshank

@ByCruickshank
    18m

Cut through his “cut-proof” sock huh? Bad PR to say the least.

Ben:

DAL and CBJ with just 1 game played from these picks.

The normal complement of picks on the chart would be 20.

41. Bobcaygeon says:

LT what about Semyon Varlamov or Jake Allen?

Varlamov has always played well for bad Colorado teams and he’s a UFA (IIRC) & you might get Jake Allen on the cheap from St.Louis

42. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar:

Lowetide: Estimates have him at $3.6 million, that’s dear.

Would not be outside of normal for teams to pay extra for playoff performance.
    Too rich for the Oilers, I hope for Pat’s sake he gets dat money.
    In the words of the famous silver screen philosopher Henry Hill:
    “Fuck you, pay me!”

Bobcaygeon:
    LT what about Semyon Varlamov or Jake Allen?

I know Hitchcock believed in Allen, but my goodness he has been inconsistent. Varlamov, I assume, will be a pretty penny.

44. HT Joe says:

Lowetide: Oilers drafting has improved, that 2015 draft through was like no other this decade. It had 1.5 first rounds, 1.5 second rounds and 1.5 third rounds.

(I guess at least he picked McDavid)

45. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Andy Dufresne:

If goalies are voodoo, Head Coaches are the Voodoo Priests.

#youdothatvoodoothatyoudosowell
    #dembones

Dem Bones Dem Bones Dem Chicken Bones…..

And the Goals Against connected to the Team D
    And the Team Dconnected to the Shot Suppression
    And the Shot Suppression connected to the Ricki D
    And the Ricki D connected to the Trophy…..
    (….Vezina that is……)
    And the One trophy connected to that Other Trophy
    (…Stanley that is….)

Lehner has also got his bi-polar disorder under control as well as his addictions:

46. Munny says:

Doesn’t Varlamov have a wonky groin?

47. Reja says:

v4ance: Short sighted thinking at it’s best.You’re not drafting him for this one injured off season, you’re picking him as a top 6 forward who should give you at least 6 years of quality production.

48. JimmyV1965 says:

Ben:

DAL and CBJ with just 1 game played from these picks.

The normal complement of picks on the chart would be 20.

Interesting list, but I’m not sure how informative it is. The four year sample size is tiny and the reporting period is weird. Brayden Point has a massive impact on Tampa’s numbers. And it’s probably not realistic to expect players drafted in rounds 3-7 to make the NHL until draft +5 so we really shouldn’t have expectations for anyone drafted in 2016 and 2017.

49. McNuge93 says:

Reja: If your the GM picking at say no 11 do you take him. Remember u have one of the best jobs in the world u can only gamble so much. Benson could very well have gone top 12 if he had not encountered his injuries.

50. Ben says:

JimmyV1965,

Fair point.

Though you need *some* games out of these rounds, it also illustrates what a crapshoot they are.

Holland gets a lot of credit for finding D+Z at the very end of the draft, but of course if Detroit had really believed they’d be impact, they’d have drafted them earlier.

But it does show the value of “upside” later in the draft. Don’t bother picking likely-career AHLers 3-7 (decent to middling skill/skating types), swing for the the fences on imbalanced players with a couple of high-end qualities (eg: Gaudreau).

51. Reja says:

Lowetide: Talbot’s story includes being overused badly in Edmonton.

If you watch footage of Talbot in NY and kosh overseas even Brossoit in Winnipeg they are not on their knees all the time it’s being coached it has to be. I wish there was a stat for percentage of goals scored top shelf where Grandma keeps her cookies. l believe by eye they would definitely be top 5 in the league for allowing high shot goals.

52. Alpine says:

Since were probably getting Elliott or Smith next year here’s their last four years through a quick statistical perspective:

GP & GSAA 2015-2019

Elliott:
    STL 15/16 – 42 GP, 16.76
    CGY 16/17 – 49 GP, -5.21
    PHI 17/18 – 43 GP, -4.22
    PHI 18/19 – 26 GP, -2.21

Smith:
    ARZ 15/16 – 32 GP, 1.42
    ARZ 16/17 – 55 GP, 1.42
    CGY 17/18 – 55 GP, 6.98
    CGY 17/18 – 43 GP, -12.95

Elliot has one very great and three bad years. Smith has two good years, one great, one terrible year. I’m not sure how trustworthy hockey ref’s GSAA is but if we can trust it just enough we can see Smith has been quite good before last year and Elliott was better last year but worse in previous years. Elliot’s best year is further in the past than Smith’s.

Let’s look at quality start % and even strength SV %.

Elliott (QS%, EV SV%)
    15/16: .684, .935
    16/17: .578, .919
    17/18: .476, .926
    18/19: .522, .918

Smith:
    15/16: .500, .933
    16/17: .491, .924
    17/18: .582, .923
    18/19: .500, .908

Smith was great and then fell off hard last year. Elliott didn’t see any drop off in SV% but he’s giving his team less quality starts as he ages. Again, Elliott’s clear best season of the last four was the least recent.

Elliott appears to be the slightly better option but I think Smith is fine if you’re getting pre-2018 Smith.

I’ve seen quite a few people laugh off Smith as an option but he seems pretty close to Elliott, the more popular option.

53. Rube Foster says:

LT,

I do prefer targeting FA Oscar Lindberg over a trade for someone like Luke Glendening. If the price is right he might be an ideal “fix” at 3rd C.

If we go $1.49 days shopping in the Bargain Basement, might we land Lindberg $3M, MPS $1M, Burakovsky $2M? Assuming we could clear some room by moving Russell along for picks or prospects.

Line Combos and LT’s 2018\19 Goal targets per line.

Leon – Connor – Burakovsky LT Goals – 77
    Gagner – Nuge – Jesse LT Goals – 52
    Nygard – Lindberg – MPS LT Goals – 39
    Lucic – Khaira – Kassian LT Goals – 18
    Gambardella/Cave

The LT Goal Targets all appear to be achievable. This is a young, but not too young, FAST line-up. Only Lucic and Gagner don’t wear the “New NHL” boots.

You provide Burakovsky with an opportunity to go all Willie Karlsson.

Samwise is likely slotted too high, but he, Burakovsky and Kassian provide flexibility and can be slotted up and down the line-up based on performance and opponents. I like Gagner as PP 2 option.

If McDavid is onboard with bringing in his old Erie teammate, would a call from Connor and an opportunity to play with Leon and McDavid be enough to get Burakovsky to sign a 2 year $2M per year offer? He would hypothetically be a well positioned 27 year old when he goes to sign his next contract.

The Tre Kronor third line would be lightning fast and responsible and could have enough offence to hit LT’s third line target of 39 goals. This line looks and smells like a Detroit Redwings line. They could all kill penalties as well.

Staple Jesse to Nuge and a winger not named Lucic and give him a chance to show some offensive chops.

The 4th line has enough speed in Khaira and Kassian to be a responsible, truculent, hard to play against line, that can match up with most anyone’s bottom six. JJ and Zach can also kill penalties. Looch is Looch and is likely too difficult to move this year, but he is MOAR Big.

This would also permit Marody and Benson to start the year and marinate with the Condors and be the first option of recall.

ArmChair, what say you? Cheap enough? Too many Swedes??

54. smellyglove says:

No one talking the Jeff Skinner contract?

Just signed $9 mill/year over 8 years. $72 million deal for the 40-goal scorer.

55. flyfish1168 says:

HT Joe: Man, Chiarelli really put his “Charlie Brownesque “ stamp on the team that day. The more I consider his tenure as GM of the Oilers, I am becoming more certain that he was a mole from the outside, flubbing all of the moves on purpose. There’s just no way he messed up his moves so thoroughly and consistently, is there??!
    (I guess at least he picked McDavid)

He comes in arrogant after winning a cup even though he was fired for CAP issues. Makes the same miss takes handling the CAP. But worst he shows he doesn’t know what makes a good team win or build a team. So many random trades made with very little rhyme or reason. It shows you can win the cup with some blind luck versus being good. If PC was any good he would have had some sustainability.

56. smellyglove says:

flyfish1168,

I always wonder this: We see the same merry go round of executives and coaches. They gain success, fail, are fired, and then either succeed or fail again. It seems like there is a lot of random noise, or other contributing factors, to NHL club’s “making it”. Still, there are perpetually good and bad organizations, and thus lessons to be learned.

Remember the McDavid lottery? It felt like heaven and a solution to all our problems. Then Chiarelli and Tmac brought in; it was guaranteed to succeed right? Free agents would come, etc. etc. Look how that turned out. That’s part of the reason I look at these new changes and go, “Meh”. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

This club has 1-2 years to turn around, or I’m on the Seattle bandwagon.

57. norm_klassen says:

Up high glove hand from going down to early was the book on koski and Talbot. They were nearly unbeatable down low but the league always adjusts

58. Pouzar says:

If Krebs drops 10 or more spots you move heaven and earth to trade into that spot and grab the kid and call it a day. Could be our Getzlaf/Perry *spits* draft.

59. Rube Foster says:

Pouzar:

Agreed.

Or, do you Trade down with the 8th and perhaps some magic beans and see if you can walk away with an asset, Krebs and a Kaliyev/Lavoie?

60. Pouzar says:

Rube Foster: Agreed.

That is valid as well but a little more risky. Take the bird in hand at 8 and go all in if Krebs drops is how I would go.

61. Reja says:

smellyglove:
    flyfish1168,

This club has 1-2 years to turn around, or I’m on the Seattle bandwagon.

Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out fair weather follower.

62. Munny says:

Pouzar:

I don’t see the injury affecting his slot much, if at all.

63. jp says:

Alpine,

Smith is also 3 yrs older than Elliott (37 vs 34). So his most recent, very poor, season should be cause for more concern IMO. You may well be right that he’s being dismissed too quickly though.

OriginalPouzar:
    Krebs has torn his Achilles.

Bummer. Guess I am really stuck hoping Cozens slides now. Teams with multiple picks like Colorado and New York at 16OV and 20OV are probably the worst case scenarios for Krebs now.

One would think, Krebs doctor’s would/should provide an update to interested teams before the draft.

DBO:

I would be ecstatic on these moves being our summer.

1. Russell moved with an asset, for a prospect, no money retained
    2. Trade Benning for Connor Brown

Colin Miller is Matt Benning at twice the cost and twice the duration. That is not an upgrade. Miller in and Benning out is a downgrade.

66. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Reja: If you watch footage of Talbot in NY and kosh overseas even Brossoit in Winnipegthey are not on their knees all the time it’s being coached it has to be. I wish there was a stat for percentage ofgoals scored top shelf where Grandma keeps her cookies. l believe by eye they would definitely be top 5 in the league for allowing high shot goals.

67. Reja says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: I can’t comment on their play elsewhere but the early to knees and stay on knees bullshit with the oilers is very poor guidance. I hope holland can see it and if it is being coached by Schwartz or whoever is coaching it is relieved of their duties.

I’ve been beating this drum for years it’s obvious to me and the rest of league shoot high blocker shoot high glove just shoot high because the Oiler Goalies are always on their knees.watch the footage it’s being coached that style of play. It has to be Kurri that sold management that Kosh was the goods I have faith in Jari decision making and I believe kosh will play 50 games and be at 918 save percentage he’s the most nimble big man I’ve ever seen if he doesn’t go down early and squares himself up to the shooter and with his personality I think he will be a fan favourite.

68. Woogie63 says:

6. Lots of help when injuries come
    7. On the conveyor belt – Benson, Marody, Gambardella, Jones
    8. On the farm- Bear, Bouchard, Samarukov, Yamamoto, McLeod, Scarlett, Skinner
    9. Team speed up
    10. Lucic, Kassian , Khaira, Ferland, Nurse makes us more than tough enough

69. v4ance says:

McNuge93: I would say no. The other factor is it delays his development by a year (like Benson) and thus delays his timeline to impact your NHL team by a year. That’s got to cost something. He’s likely to drop 15 to 20 spots.

Again faulty logic typical of Oilers management.

You’re not drafting a player making an assumption that he helps you next season. Even for a top 10 pick, you should assume that they will go back to Juniors for at least one more year unless they are elite or they have developed far ahead of the normal curve. IF they do make your NHL roster, it’s all gravy but that should never be the expectation.

The injury will delay his return to hockey by about 6 months. If you feel he’s one of the top 10 best talents, you draft him in the top 10. If you feel he’s top 10 and you drop him down your list, then a smarter team will take advantage.

As for Benson, his drop was due to multiple maladies over multiple seasons. There was or is valid concern that he may be injury prone.

70. Ben says:

godot10: Bummer.Guess I am really stuck hoping Cozens slides now.Teams with multiple picks like Colorado and New York at 16OV and 20OV are probably the worst case scenarios for Krebs now.

He’s 16 months from pro hockey and first indications are he’ll be ready to start next season.

Maybe the injury knocks him down a point if a team has him ranked evenly with another player, but I can’t see this having a big impact on his draft position.

71. Reja says:

5. 1A/1B goalie
    6. Lots of help when injuries come
    7. On the conveyor belt – Benson, Marody, Gambardella, Jones
    8. On the farm- Bear, Bouchard, Samarukov, Yamamoto, McLeod, Scarlett, Skinner
    9. Team speed up
    10. Lucic, Kassian , Khaira, Ferland, Nurse makes us more than tough enough

Would love Wood he can flat out fly and if he ever gets the scoring touch look out. Would also love Ferland maybe he takes a bit of a fuck you flames discount somebody needs to lay out the Norris trophy winner with a clean hit.

72. Reja says:

v4ance: Again faulty logic typical of Oilers management.

You’re not drafting a player making an assumption that he helps you next season.Even for a top 10 pick, you should assume that they will go back to Juniors for at least one more year unless they are elite or they have developed far ahead of the normal curve.IF they do make your NHL roster, it’s all gravy but that should never bethe expectation.

The injury will delay his return to hockey by about 6 months.If you feel he’s one of the top 10 best talents, you draft him in the top 10.If you feel he’s top 10 and you drop him down your list, then a smarter team will take advantage.

As for Benson, his drop was due to multiple maladies over multiple seasons.There was or is valid concern that he may be injury prone.

GM’s get really nervous of drafting someone in the top 20 that can’t even walk up to the podium.

73. Professor Q says:

smellyglove:
    No one talking the Jeff Skinner contract?

Just signed $9 mill/year over 8 years. $72 million deal for the 40-goal scorer.

74. SkatinginSand says:

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Andy Dufresne,

Was Lehner that bad in Buffalo? In 2 of his 3 seaons, he had a save percentage over .920 – once as a backup and once as a starter with almost 60 games.

Combine those numbers with the tire-fire defence with Risto play 25 minutes….. and dealing with his mental health issues…….

76. Reja says:

SkatinginSand: A goalie going to his knees too early and staying on them too long is very often a sign of a loss of confidence.

I believe it’s more a style of play watch footage of Kosh Talbot and even Brossoit with Oilers and then KHL Jets and NY all three are not on their knees early and often it is a style of play being coached.

77. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: That is the depth chart, yes – although we don’t know if the org has plans for Jones on the left side or the right side – he has played almost exclusively the right side at the pro level for two years.

Yes, Samorukov has a higher ceiling that Lagesson (and Jones) – I think he has a higher ceiling that Bouchard and has 1LD potential.Of course, the chances of him meeting that high ceiling are fairly low.I do think he will be an NHL player but, as of now, he is a prospect coming out of junior with great arrows.We really have no idea when (and if) he’ll arrive.Higher potential, yes, but, at this point, I would almost say that Lagesson is more of a “lock” for an NHL career because, personally, I think he’s as NHL ready as Jones.

I don’t know if I agree that Jones has a higher ceiling than Lagesson.I likely over-rate Willie but I think most undervalue his potential. He is a vastly different player than Jones but, at the same time, potentially just as valuable. He isn’t the Jason Smith or even Adam Larsson defensive defender.He is the “new age” defensive defender – in addition to his great defence with aggression and tenacity, he is also a good skater and good puck mover with offensive instincts.

I am a Lagesson fan. Unlike Jones he has size and can actually play defence. Jones in my opinion sill has a way to go on his one on one defence. Too often he is merely a turnstile.

78. tileguy says:

Pouzar:

I wonder if JP could get you that 20th pick?

79. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

dustrock,

I absolutely totally completely and in all other ways agree with this! Those orange jerseys are as bad as the old weird stripey Canuck jerseys of yore!

Dump that crap now, go back to the darker blue, silver and orange accents. This team not only needs to play more aggressively (no I don’t mean fights!) but they need to look the part. Those orange jerseys are a visual offense! I wonder if they don’t actually feel stupid wearing them.

Plus, you know a functioning goalie, better defense, secondary scoring and will someone for the love of all things hockey take the line blender away from the coaches.

Also please fire Kevin Lowe, yesterday and make I’m go to Russia with MacT.

80. Andy Dufresne says:

silasbengtsson:
    Andy Dufresne,

I get what you are syaing.

The part about Lehner being shit/terrible was an attempt to use sarcasm to make a point.

What I meant was the opposite of what I actually stated. Lehner is a good to very good goalie. Playing on Buffalo made him look like shit (relatively speaking) He then moved to a team who had THE WORST goals against in the league.

But under Barry Trotz, SHIZAAM, he’s suddenly a Vezina candidate. It happens on occasion. Are there other mitigating circumstances ( mental health, etc )? Yes there are.

Just pointing out that we can be pretty quick to shit on goalies who under-perform for a variety of reasons. IMO team defense and Coaching are two of the primary reasons why goalies are what they are, or arent as the case goes.

Mike Smith was shit in Tampa with a save percentage at or below .900 for 3 of his 4 years there. He gets dumped/traded to Pheonix where he immediately posts a .930 save percentage playing in 67 games that season.playing for …..guess who……….Dave Tippett.

I too advocate getting a solid backup /1B type goalie in the offseason. The position is just too important to ignore. But Im also fairly optimistic that under Tippett, the team will play better defensively, and Koskinen with his first year under his belt, acclimatized to North America, hopefully starting 55 games or less (with an compentent / above average backup) will play better / more consistent than last year.

A healthy defense and an aquisition or two that adds balance to the forward roster and the PK would also be contributing factors.

Hence, Im peredicting a very good year for Koskinen in 2019-20. Doubling down so to speak.

People will be raving about his play and how good that contract looks, and the voodoo that is goalering. 🙂

81. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

Andy Dufresne:

If goalies are voodoo, Head Coaches are the Voodoo Priests.

#youdothatvoodoothatyoudosowell
    #dembones

Dem Bones Dem Bones Dem Chicken Bones…..

And the Goals Against connected to the Team D
    And the Team Dconnected to the Shot Suppression
    And the Shot Suppression connected to the Ricki D
    And the Ricki D connected to the Trophy…..
    (….Vezina that is……)
    And the One trophy connected to that Other Trophy
    (…Stanley that is….)

What a fantastic comment – thank you for that sir!

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Psyche:

I worry about a Nyquist contract with term – I like the player, i don’t like his age.

83. pts2pndr says:

84. Reja says:

The Orange Crush jerseys have never jived with the city of Edmonton please go back to the original colours and Stanley will come out of hiding.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

I think you are catastrophizing this a bit.

This is a freak injury (as opposed to something that would recur or be chronic, like Benson) for which NHL players generally make full recoveries from and he should be back fairly early in the year.

He doesn’t really lose a year of development but a summer of training (and, lets be honest, the junior kids don’t really train properly anyways – not until the NHL teams get their hands on them).

tileguy: I wonder if JP could get you that 20th pick?

That sets his trade value.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Rube Foster,

Fairly confident the Caps won’t qualify Burakovsky or work out a deal with him for less than his QO prior to late June?

88. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: I think you are catastrophizing this a bit.

Did the young lad go under the knife you just never know when that happens.

89. Ben says:

Some more savoury scuttlebutt around Lucic for Eriksson out there today.

If it’s straight across, no-brainer for the Oilers, based on the year-shorter contract alone.

Beside that, Eriksson did score 30 points last year to Looch’s 20, and while they don’t show their work, this writer suggests that: “In fact, his penalty kill advanced stats suggest he’s one of the best penalty killers in the entire NHL.”

Also, he doesn’t have Lucic’s movement restrictions.

I do wonder about possibly doing Lucic and JP for Sutter instead, particularly if nothing is retained.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m already pissed enough at Dorion for giving the Avs their pick (thank goodness they dropped 3 spots) but, if they scoop a top 8 player at 16 in addition to who they get at 4……

91. Andy Dufresne says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour: This made me actually seriously laugh right out loud. And that was awkward because I’m in Tokyo right now and it was a bit early for a sudden laughter outburst in the dark!

What a fantastic comment – thank you for that sir!

Arigatou Neighbour! You’ve lifted my spirits!

When you post something that attempts to, in some small way, “entertain” all it takes is one person to get it, to make it worthwhile. And when they are half way around the world (in the middle of the night) well….thats just freakin awesome.

92. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

5. 1A/1B goalie
    6. Lots of help when injuries come
    7. On the conveyor belt – Benson, Marody, Gambardella, Jones
    8. On the farm- Bear, Bouchard, Samarukov, Yamamoto, McLeod, Scarlett, Skinner
    9. Team speed up
    10. Lucic, Kassian , Khaira, Ferland, Nurse makes us more than tough enough

I like it … only change I would make is swapping Joe G for Milan. I know that makes 4 rookies but we aren’t going to make the playoffs with the current team and deployments this year anyway.

93. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

godot10: One can offer sheet Puljujarvi between $1.4 and $2.9 million for a 2020 third round draft pick,

That sets his trade value.

94. Reja says:

Ben:
    Some more savoury scuttlebutt around Lucic for Eriksson out there today.

Also, he doesn’t have Lucic’s movement restrictions.

I think this trade has legs with what Lucic said earlier they definitely need muscle and a revived Milan in his hometown could cover the bet for the next 4 years.

95. Scungilli Slushy says:

For those projecting line ups, the chances of seeing 2 inexperienced players on the same line are probably around 0.00%

96. v4ance says:

pts2pndr: Right and you would buy a three legged race horse when there are plenty of sound horses for the same price. The difference between stud and dud is very small. Late second round is where he is likely to go.

Right,

partial achilles tear= three legged horse

It’s not like 1960 where an achilles tear was career threatening. Your analogy makes it seem like Krebs had his foot ripped off.

Funny thing is I have no skin in this game. I couldn’t pick out Krebs from Bouldy, Kakko or Hughes in a lineup. I don’t post much here because I’m too busy to fight the stupid. I have more than enough stupid to deal with at work.

97. Andy Dufresne says:

Lowetide: Estimates have him at $3.6 million, that’s dear.

I really appreciate the work this guy does to compile the spreadsheet each year. Its a great reference point for spitballing future roster construction.

Having said that , If Eberle gets 7 x $6m , Maroon 3 x $3.6m , and Chaisson 3 x $3.2m then we’ve got a lot more value contracts on our roster than I realized.

Its really pretty incredible how much salaries rise with each passing year.

98. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

Andy Dufresne: Arigatou Neighbour!You’ve lifted my spirits!

When you post something that attempts to, in some small way,“entertain” all it takes is one person to get it, to make it worthwhile. And when they are half way around the world (in the middle of the night) well….thats just freakin awesome.

You are more than welcome! I don’t post much and during the past couple seasons, for reasons of mental health I tend to not visit the site during the season but when I do visit I really appreciate when you or others take the time to write something interesting, fun and humorous.

Without humor surviving the Oilers would be a monumental task! So Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita and Dōitashimashite!

99. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Colin Miller is Matt Benning at twice the cost and twice the duration.That is not an upgrade.Miller in and Benning out is a downgrade.

I think he’s got a bit more offence than Benning has but, yes, I agree generally – he has shown to be a third pairing guy at even on Vegas – playing behind Derek Engelland.

He has some name cache for some reason and I was on board due to such cache until I dug in to him a bit (after someone here, and it may have been you Godot, provided that actual info on his deployment and abilities).

100. Andy Dufresne says:

T Minus 13 and counting to 2019 NHL Entry Draft .

We are entering the “Peak of Inflated Expectations” part of the Hype Cycle

The Gartner Group Hype Cycle* has 5 Levels grahpically respresented as

Trigger
    Peak of Inflated Expectations
    Trough of Disillusionment
    Slope of Enlightenment
    Plateau of Productivity

With McDavid we went straight from Trigger to Plateau of Productivity.
    With JP we went straight from Peak of Inflated Expectations to Trough of Disallusionment
    With recent good drafting, we’ve now got at least 4 or 5 prospects on The Slope of Enlightenment.

Where will this years first rounder take us?

*The hype cycle is a branded graphical presentation developed and used by the American research, advisory and information technology firm Gartner to represent the maturity, adoption, and social application of specific technologies. The hype cycle provides a graphical and conceptual presentation of the maturity of emerging technologies through five phases

101. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– I have no clue but what if we got rid of Benning and russel for a brown and whatever russell fetches and you give that plus say Persson for 1 year of Faulk?

So:

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Faulk
    Sek-Jones

– we’d certainly score more goals. But ricki box? Carolina isn’t going to resign Faulk

– Or maybe even at trade deadline you do something to get him and then your breaking 1 D this year and 1 next year?

– I wonder how much Holland does this year to improve and shed vs next off-season as Lucic Russell gagner and buyouts fall off and are much easier to deal with and you have $20mm + for 2020

102. OriginalPouzar says:

5. 1A/1B goalie
    6. Lots of help when injuries come
    7. On the conveyor belt – Benson, Marody, Gambardella, Jones
    8. On the farm- Bear, Bouchard, Samarukov, Yamamoto, McLeod, Scarlett, Skinner
    9. Team speed up
    10. Lucic, Kassian , Khaira, Ferland, Nurse makes us more than tough enough

I generally like the moves and, as much as I like Lagesson, yes, that is a move that I would have to say yes to – I would try and get them to take Bear though.

I personally don’t want Ferland (and think he may be looking for more than $5M) – just don’t like his game.

Mrazek would be great – I think he will get a higher AAV though.

Its tough to say “three good lines” as we just don’t know – all three have massive question marks:

– McDavid is flanked by two wingers that are both unproven in the top 6 – niether have scored 20 goals or more than 35 points (the right winger never close to either).

– The second line has a raw rookie that, while very talented, may be best suited to a middle six role, at least to start. The right winger is wildly inconsistent.

– I really like the third line but massive risk with Nygard really being a complete unknown and Jesse potentially spinning his tires again.

I do like it as I’m on board with some “bets” this year in order to allow for some term to run off contracts (as opposed to bigger moves with risk and commitment to term for older players).

103. OriginalPouzar says:

What a fantastic comment – thank you for that sir!

Visiting? Living? Business?

I was there (pleasure) in April – while Kyoto was my preference over Tokyo, that entire country is just off the charts amazing. The beauty, the culture, the food, logistics, the everything.

Jealous!

104. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Reja,

– Eriksson is for a spent force and out of hockey as a 35 year old (so in one year), if he isn’t already done. He does have 1 less year but he’s almost 4 years older

– I get why we might do the trade but Lucic has some chance of some recover IMO and is a more valuable tradeable name.

– this trade does not make the team better next year and you really risk 3 years of 6mm for a guy who is done vs Lucic who is paid the same but is younger has more cache

– Anyway make the trade to get rid of Lucic change of scenery etc but the team isn’t better.

105. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour,

– did you or OP reach out to nyc oil aka gentlemen backpacker while in japan?

– I miss him here.

106. Munny says:

That sets his trade value.

It doesn’t set his trade value to cap-strung teams.

107. Rondo says:

Possible players I would pick at # 8.

Dach
    Krebs
    Podkolzin
    Boldy

108. Glovjuice says:

Professor Q: A lot of people are talking about it, but mostly how it makes Panarin look like he should get $11.5-12 million per season (which I don’t agree with).

And they just traded Ryan Oreilly. Crazy stuff.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

Ben:
    Some more savoury scuttlebutt around Lucic for Eriksson out there today.

I didn’t click the link but i did look in to some of his PK metrics last week and his GA/60 was sparkling. At the same time, he only killed just over a minute per game so, if he was that proficient, presumably the coach would have him on the top pairing.

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Sad but true. You may get lucky and coax a mid to late 2nd out of someone, but I would not count on it.

and, if that’s the case, keep the player, find a spot for him in the top 9 with some skill, give him consistent minutes, no less than 12 5 on 5 per night, with consistent linemates and run him out there night in and night out and shift after shift – allow him to get comfortable, to make plays and to make mistakes. Let him “play”. Let him have fun. Watch him flourish.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Walter Gretzkys Neighbour,

– did you or OP reach out to nyc oil aka gentlemen backpacker while in japan?

– I miss him here.

I did not.

112. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    For those projecting line ups, the chances of seeing 2 inexperienced players on the same line are probably around0.00%

113. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OriginalPouzar: and, if that’s the case, keep the player, find a spot for him in the top 9 with some skill, give him consistent minutes, no less than 12 5 on 5 per night, with consistent linemates and run him out there night in and night out and shift after shift – allow him to get comfortable, to make plays and to make mistakes.Let him “play”.Let him have fun. Watch him flourish.

114. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Agreed. I would staple him on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit and try to get him 15 minutes a night. As I mentioned earlier, I doubt this team makes the playoffs so you might as well find out if you have a player there or not. No better time than now.

– I agree. I hope they make the playoffs next year but I want them to win the war. Hallamd needs some time to figure out what he’s got not trade them away based on feedback from the remaining losers who are still in day to day operations. By the way hollly has removed some of the deadweight in management but Keith alone is not enough. – when does Holland bring in people who have different perspective and are gets to compete with Keith as the GM in waiting?

Jar-Nuge-Pool

– untill the trade deadline: make it so.

115. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

OriginalPouzar: Visiting? Living?Business?

I was there (pleasure) in April – while Kyoto was my preference over Tokyo, that entire country is just off the charts amazing.The beauty, the culture, the food, logistics, the everything.

Jealous!

I agree Kyoto as a city to explore is super fun and interesting at my adult age. We walked over 20k steps per day and using a combination of subway, bus and good old legs managed to see the major highlights in 4 days. We were 2 days in Tokyo on arrival then 2 days back at the end of the trip and are heading home today/tomorrow. The time zones do mess with your head!

On a hunt for a nice kimono for my wife we ran into a Milwaukee Bucks fan and managed to grind his gears a bit – also amazingly fun! Turns out he’s now cheering for the Raptors.

We had watched an episode of Parts Unknown with Anthony Bourdain on Tokyo a couple months ago and we were able to get a reservation at Yasuda Sushi Bar. An unbelievable experience at which I believe I did poor old Anthony justice by going full Bourdain on whatever chef Yasuda suggested. I would most strongly recommend this if you ever get a chance. Such amazing sushi served by the chef himself at a tiny little counter with ongoing commentary through every piece. I am now utterly and completely spoiled for sushi in Canada! Watching his knife skills, deft preparation and then having astronomically good sushi was fantastic!

But you are so right – everything about this place is amazing! The civility, cleanliness, kindness of people is astounding. This logistics of travel around the country via Shinkansen and in cities via subway is otherworldly! The food and sheer number of places to eat is incredible. I love this place and am hoping I get another reason to visit again. (Our youngest daughter is dating an Olympic hopeful cyclist – so if he makes the Canadian team we are all in on a return visit next August. You’d better believe we are pushing him hard in his training!!)

Also I would like to thank you for your thoughtful and interesting comments here – I thoroughly enjoy them. And LT, your indulgence in this non-hockey aside is most appreciated.

116. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

OriginalPouzar: I did not.

Nor did I, alas. I should have but I wasn’t sure he was still here.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour: OP – here with wife and adult son, me for a meeting in Kyoto, them for sightseeing. Though to be clear, my meeting was shall I say, “poorly attended”! Certainly by me at least.

Also I would like to thank you for your thoughtful and interesting comments here – I thoroughly enjoy them. And LT,your indulgence in this non-hockey aside is most appreciated.

That is fantastic and thank you for your post.

While he had more time than you (2 full weeks), many of your experiences line up exactly with our – I could have written much of your post.

With respect to the sushi, i had essentially the exact same experience as Sushi Mastuda – 6 person bar and the sushi master was memorizing.

I will never get over the logistics of their transportation, both local and between municipalities – I’ve never seen such precision in my life – a logistical marvel. Don’t get me started on the train stations – marvels – just wild places to walk through.

Tokyo is the cleanest city i could possibly imagine – no garbage cans and, in 5 days there, I saw one piece of garbage – unreal.

The rules, my goodness the rules, I’ve never witnessed a culture that follows every single rule without exception – I saw one local cross against a light in 2 full weeks.

I love that country!

118. russ99 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Faulk’s NMC kicked in last summer.

Doubt he waives to come here.

119. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

OriginalPouzar,

Absolute truth! As an aside – not sure if you are a dog lover – but my now favorite move is Isle of Dogs. It captures the Japanese ambiance perfectly and is so entertaining. Won’t even mention “Lost in Translation”!

My first trip to Tokyo years ago included a stay at the Tokyo Park Hyatt – just because of that movie and it was amazing. Sadly too expensive this time around as I needed to have two rooms!

Respecto!

120. Scungilli Slushy says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: You’re right … I almost forgot we are talking Oilers hockey. Better pencil a few more Brodziaks and a Jokinen or two into the projected lineup.

Oilers hockey has a very different face now.

We won`t know what that looks like until player things start happening.

We do know the coach is actually liked by players. That MacT and Sutter are out after years of failing, and that people that have done well like Kretzy and Woodcroft (who actually stayed) are there.

121. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Scungilli Slushy: Oilers hockey has a very different face now.

We won`t know what that looks like until player things start happening.

The last thing to die is hope.

122. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

OriginalPouzar,

OP just out of interest did you fly into Narita, Haneda or other?

I’ve done Narita twice and Haneda this time and man Haneda it was awesome! It was also a direct flight from Toronto, long but Haneda is also much closer to central Tokyo.

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour:
    OriginalPouzar,

OP just out of interest did you fly into Narita, Haneda or other?

We flew in to Narita.

Yup, a bit of a trek from central Tokyo but the Airport Express, with our JR pass, led to an easy journey.

We were direct to Narita from Calgary – yes Air Canada has a direct flight from Calgary. Flight was long but we’ve done longer (a few 13 hour journeys in our time) and, not to be too pretencious, business class makes all the difference in the world (in particular on our way home when, after 7 hours of extended delays, our flight home was cancelled – they took good care of us).

124. OriginalPouzar says:

Olivier Rodrigue has been traded to the Moncton Wildcats!

He’s also been attending Team Canada’s summer goaltending camp – that was a no-brainer, he’ll be at all of the camps as he’s a legit candidate for the World Junior team.

125. Dee Dee says:

First time I went to Japan I knew I was in the right place when the beverage cart lady came to our seat 5 minutes after leaving the Narita airport, and the tall cans of Sapporo were cheaper than buying a coffee!

The local Businessmen sitting across from us packed away 4 of them during the hour and 20 minutes, it was impressive. This was at 8AM mind you and they had to work all day.