Buyouts, and You

Ken Holland is a famous general manager, so it’s easy to believe we know everything about him. Do you know his buyout history? Me either.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group, here’s an incredible Father’s Day Offer!

• New Lowetide: Falling talent and other fun facts that could benefit the Oilers in the NHL Draft
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Evaluating the pros and cons of potential Oilers buyout candidates
  • New Lowetide: Oilers GM Ken Holland is shopping for 20-goal scorers on a budget. What will he find?
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Jay Woodcroft returning to coach AHL Condors and be reunited with Ken Holland
  • Lowetide: Looking at the Oilers’ options for the No. 8 pick at the 2019 NHL Draft.
  • Jonathan Willis: How many of Sam Gagner, Zack Kassian and Jujhar Khaira can play top-nine minutes for the Oilers?
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanQ&A with Ken Holland: On the draft, buyouts, free agency and how to have a successful offseason
  • Lowetide: Trading for Loui Eriksson: What makes sense for the Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Differing needs of Oilers, Jets could create a trade fit
  • Lowetide: How will Ken Holland build around Connor McDavid?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The top five players the Oilers could lose in the expansion draft
  • Jonathan Willis: What a trade involving Edmonton’s No. 8 pick might look like given Ken Holland’s history
  • LowetideHard Target Search: Finding the Oilers a centre who can penalty kill, help shape a useful third line, and serve in a mentor role
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How a third-line grinder launched the star-filled Oilers to their first Stanley Cup and a hockey dynasty.
  • Lowetide: Is Zack Kassian the answer for the McDavid-Draisaitl line?

HOLLAND’S BUYOUT HISTORY

According to CapFriendly, Ken Holland bought out four contracts between 2013 and 2018. The big one (three years) was Stephen Weiss, the rest involved buying out just the final year.

Daniel Nugent-Bowman wrote on the subject of buyouts and this Oilers team for The Athletic this week, and there are no easy outs. The cleanest (in my opinion) is probably Andrej Sekera, but he has value and that’s a fact. Sam Gagner? It saves over $2 million this season and costs a little more than one next year. Window opens today.

NIK EHLERS

Pierre Lebrun set the woods on fire with his Friday article for The Athletic. Pierre discussed the Winnipeg Jets listening to offers on Nikolaj Ehlers and that’s a fine player. Lebrun suggested the return might be a defenceman, and that’s something I wrote about in January (when discussing Ehlers as a target):

Darnell Nurse might have the most appeal for a team like the Jets, who are going to have to make some decisions on the blueline this summer (Trouba, but also UFA Tyler Myers). (Source)

I don’t think the Oilers will trade Nurse, but there’s a new sheriff in town. Is a LH defense of Oscar Klefbom, Andrej Sekera and Caleb Jones or Kris Russell good enough? Both Ehlers and Nurse are going to play a long time in this league, it’s an intriguing idea. One more thing: Drafting Philip Broberg makes more sense if there’s a Nurse for Ehlers trade this week. Note: I am not recommending a trade of Darnell Nurse. The wise team waits for an internal replacement to be ready before dealing away Nurse.

KEN HOLLAND ON THE WEEK AHEAD

Holland: “We have to get deeper up front. Certainly we need a goaltender and certainly those are the most important things for the next 10 days.” Source

I said it yesterday, and will say it today: Brett Connolly, Loui Eriksson, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Brian Elliott. Take your picks, wait for good trade offers and we’re on to September.

OILERS ROSTER JUNE 30, 2015

OILERS ROSTER, JUNE 14, 2019

KEN HOLLAND ON JP

This could all get blown up in the next five minutes, but wildly encouraging verbal from Ken Holland about Jesse Puljujarvi hit the Al Gore yesterday. The most encouraging part? Ken Holland: ” I spent about an hour with him talking.” Listening too, I’ll bet. That goes a long way, at 20 or 50. I’ve said this before (and am not the only one) but Puljujarvi’s potential makes him the kind of talent the Oilers should be looking to acquire, not fade away. I hope he makes it here, just a wonderful story if he does.

Let’s have a look at Varlamov versus Brian Elliott over the last three seasons, using even strength save percentage.

2016-17: Varlamov (.904, No. 52); Elliott (.918, No. 36)

2017-18: Varlamov (.923, No. 22); Elliott (.926, No. 18)

2018-19: Varlamov (.916, No. 33); Elliott (.918, No. 27)

It makes people mad, not sure why, but Elliott shows well in these three year looks. He’s an NHL goalie. Need one.

OILERS MOCK!

No. 8 overall—RC-RW Dylan Cozens, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL). This draft turned weird late and the USHL forwards have invaded the top 10 like the Beatles in 1964. Cozens brings quality in most areas, but the keys are skating, shooting and skill. I don’t know that he’s spend his career at center.

No. 38 overall—LW Nils Hoglander, Rogle (SHL). Ridiculous skill and advanced level (SHL) have Hoglander as an attractive pick early in the second round. Elite Prospects says there isn’t a more elusive player in this year’s class. Edmonton needs skilled men who can think and survive with McDavid. Nils might be one.

No. 85 overall—LC Karl Henrikson, Frolunda (SuperElite). A revelation at the U18’s, he’s very skilled and plays a strong game all over the ice. Undersized, I picked him because he’s a perfect Red Wing.

No. 100 overall—RD Cole Moberg, Prince George Cougars (WHL). Fascinating young player shoots the puck at an insane rate, has a nice size/skill component and appears to be astute defensively.

No. 162 overall—RW Eric Uba, Flint Firebirds (OHL) . He didn’t get himself traded from Flint, so that’s a sign of character. He’s a worker and has some skill, will need some luck.

No. 193 overall—L Ethan Phillips, Sioux Falls (USHL). He’s just 5.09, 155 but is another fantastic skill prospect. Added to Hoglander, Cozens and Uba, I think the Oilers would have improved their skill at forward tremendously.

163 Responses to "Buyouts, and You"

1. Rondo says:

Sounds like the top 5 are in some order

#1. NY-Jack Hughes
    #2. NYR-Kaapo Kakko
    #3. CHI-Bowen Byram
    #4. COL-Alex Turcotte
    #5. LA-Kirby Dach

Then

#6. DET-r Zegras,Cozens, Podkolzin
    #7. BUF- Cozens,Podkolzin,Zegras
    #8 EDM-Cozens,Zegras,Podkolzin,Krebs, Boldy, and Broberg

2. Concur says:

I was mostly encouraged by Holland saying that he is not looking hard at the defense. 3 good lefties, only an upgrade on Russel needed for right. Maybe that upgrade is just him being traded for a goalie or forward and having Benning or Sekera moving up.

3. speeds says:

LT wrote:

****

I understand the general sentiment, but I think it depends on the trade. Who is the internal replacement for Nurse if you trade him for Ehlers? Who is the internal replacement for Ehlers if you keep Nurse? Which position projects to be better covered in the future? Which is easier to address via another trade? a UFA? an RFA? Also, maybe more simply, which of Ehlers and Nurse do you think is just flat out better?

4. Todd Macallan says:

8 – Dylan Cozens
    38 – Jamieson Rees
    85 – Blake Murray
    100 – Leevi Aaltonen
    162 – Kalle Lopenen
    193 – Martin Lang

Dare to dream. Would be equally happy with Dach or Zegras at 8 but had to put Cozens because my Yukon roots are showing.

5. Glass says:

Who I hope is available | Who is likely available
    8: Zegras | Boldy
    38: Afanasyev | Korczak
    85: Beecher/Murray | Firstov

6. Ari says:

Holland spent an hour talking to Puljujarvi. Do GM’s usually take the time to do that type of thing?

Wow!

7. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ari:
    Holland spent an hour talking to Puljujarvi.Do GM’s usually take the time to do that type of thing?

Wow!

A huge change from the previous guys. And they are actively helping him rehab, not just calling him in Finland twice in the summer or something, then throwing him under the bus about his training later.

8. jtblack says:

BYRAM has been in Lethbridge skating the last few days …. Just turned 18 … My guess is AVS grab him @ #4.

Love the mock draft LT. All forwards. All skill.

I will scream from the mountain tops. If Edmonton drafts Broberg, I will be dissapointed ..

I think the 1st 3 selections should be on F’s …

9. jtblack says:

Glass:
    Who I hope is available | Who is likely available
    8: Zegras | Boldy
    38: Afanasyev | Korczak
    85: Beecher/Murray | Firstov

Korczak will deliver zero Offense at the NHL level …. So if you draft him and you hoping for a shut down and that’s it … I would rather go for some skill …

Beecher or Murray at 85 would be excellent

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Subject to needing immediate cap space to consummate a trade that is a must-make, I just don’t see it making sense to buy out any current contract:

– Lucic – we all know how egregious that buyout structure is. Its a non-starter

– Sekera – Some OK cap savings here but do not buy out legit NHL players, in particular quite good NHL players. At the very worst he is an overpaid but elite 3rd pairing d-man who provides nice cover for a top 4 injury. He is also, very reasonably, a legit 2nd pairing guy and, potentially a very high end 2nd pairing guy (which is what he was before injury). Is there a scenario where a couple of million of dollars in cap savings can be used to improve the team more than Sekera does?

– Russell – there is a chance this player can be traded clean, for $4M in cap space. At the worst, the team could retain the amount of cap hit a buyout would leave and trade him – surely he’s tradeable at that amount, for some value – subject, of course, to that damn trade protection

– Manning – burying him costs about $200K more and doesn’t have a future cap penalty. Also, again, this player is tradeable with retaining the amount of cap a buyout would leave

– Gagner – overpaid, yes, however he provides skill in the bottom six as well as optionallity as he can be moved all over the lineup and even play center in a pinch.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

“I said it yesterday, and will say it today: Brett Connolly, Loui Eriksson, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Brian Elliott.”

———————

Brandon Pirri, Burakovsky, Lindberg, Reimer

12. speeds says:

what are peoples thoughts on some trade centered around Manning for Reimer?

13. Jaxon says:

jtblack: Glass:
    Who I hope is available | Who is likely available
    8: Zegras | Boldy
    38: Afanasyev | Korczak
    85: Beecher/Murray | Firstov

Beecher or Murray at 85 would be excellent

I really doubt Beecher will be there that late. I think there’s even an outside chance he goes in the first. More likely right around #38. If so, I hope the Oilers grab him.

14. dustrock says:

On April 2nd Cozens led the CHL for draft eligibles with 59 even strength points.

Tomasino and Pelletier at 58. Legare and Kaliyev at 57.

15. dustrock says:

I think Dach has a higher ceiling than Cozens but I think Cozens could be Bill Guerin to McDavid’s Weight.

He’ll be on PP and PK is fast and likes to hit.

Also Cozens is not popular on HFB so even more bonus points.

16. Woogie63 says:

1. Watch out on those American Kids – lots of zooming against weak competition. The ONLY players from this pack are Hughes, Turcotte (will be gone by #8) and Zegras

2. Count me as not completely sold on Ehlers. I have always thought me was a perimeter player with great regular season stats and faded, badly in a prolonged play-off.

17. leadfarmer says:

If I’m trading Nurse I want Huberdeau back not Ehlers

Also Chevaldayoff doesn’t do trades unless he absolutely has to

18. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar:

———————

Brandon Pirri, Burakovsky, Lindberg, Reimer

Burakovsky Samsonov Doonskoi
    And Zucker
    I’d be very happy

19. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

I wonder if we could see Vancouver trying to trade up to #1. They’re hosting the draft, and would like to make a splash for their fans. Not sure they have the pieces to pull it off, but they’d have both Hughes boys then. Reminds me of the Sedin moves Burke pulled off. Their owners definitely want to do something impactful this offseason.

20. J-Bo says:

speeds:
    LT wrote:

****

I understand the general sentiment, but I think it depends on the trade. Who is the internal replacement for Nurse if you trade him for Ehlers? Who is the internal replacement for Ehlers if you keep Nurse? Which position projects to be better covered in the future? Which is easier to address via another trade? a UFA? an RFA?Also, maybe more simply, which of Ehlers and Nurse do you think is just flat out better?

I agree with Speeds here you have to look at this one a bit. I dont want to trade Nurse, but Ehlers might be worth it if you really look at. Then again maybe he won’t. Really tough call. What about Russel, Samorkurov, and next years first? Too much? Not enough? Silly idea?

Getting Ehlers would be a game changer for us if we could keep Nurse and Klefbom.

21. Rondo says:

Guy Flaming

@TPS_Guy

TPS Question of the Week ahead of the 2019 NHL Draft:

If there is a player that you think will be drafted way higher than you think he should be, who is it and why do you think he’s overrated?

J Baraldi

@jbaraldi11
    Follow Follow @jbaraldi11
    Replying to @TPS_Guy
    Broberg … don’t think he has the puck skills or the hockey sense to be drafted 7-12.

More on Broberg

22. digger50 says:

Winnipeg must shed cap. They have a few up and comers on defence but need a top 4 d-man. Eherls for Nurse doesn’t help them much cap wise, it would have to be a bigger package such as Perreault / Lowry or something for our second rounder and prospect.

I would not trade Nurse as he will provide more value long term than Ehlers. Now if we brought in a top line winger and a third line center it may be hard to resist.

23. McNuge93 says:

Not on board with a. Nurse trade. I see Klef, Larsson and Nurse as the core of our top 4 for the next few years. Nurse still has upside especially with a better partner. If he played with Giordano he,d be hailed as a legit top pairing D. What we need to do is find another top 4 D and we may have it already in our prospect pool.

24. Cape Breton Oilers 4EVR says:

McNuge93:

Trouba would be a beautiful fit for that top 4.

25. Louis Levasseur says:

Everybody, short of McDavid is tradeable, obviously. Unless we hit the home run for Nurse, I wouldn’t trade him. I think he is valued more by other people than in Edmonton. He had a prominent role in the Worlds, where he was the team’s shut down defenceman. His tangible skills aside, which are huge, I better be getting value for all of the intangible things he brings to the table. He is big, tough and willing. He seems to be a great teammate. He is a young defenceman, who is just hitting his prime and he’s built for the playoffs. No way I give that up for Ehlers.

26. Washingtron says:

I guess I don’t see the logic in WPG wanting to make a trade because of the expiring contracts of Myers and Trouba and going after an expiring contract in Nurse? Am I missing something?

27. defmn says:

There isn’t one player listed as a winger between the 2015 list and the 2019 list. Nuge, McDavid, Draisatl, Khaira, Nurse, Klefbom the only names on both lineups. That’s a tell, right there.

28. Munny says:

Winnipeg’s issued are with two RHD. Nurse, being a LHD does not fit their needs. And will be expensive shortly.

Their ask is likely a 1st and a cheap RHD.

Benning plus 2020 1st as the core of the deal might get it done with a good prospect thrown in. Larsson instead of Benning definitely gets it done, although the rest of the deal would have to be adjusted.

But trading Benning/Larsson leaves a big hole on the Oilers and means we will likely be forced into playing two lefties on the right side.

This hole forces Holland into trading mode, which he knows is typically a losing game without the perfect match of needs and desperation with a dance partner. He won’t do it.

29. greenshifter says:

Tanev Kadri Donskoi Varlamov/Elliot/Kinkaid

Can Varlamov ever bounce back? If he signs for under 3mil, then maybe take a chance. Roll of the dice with any of those 3 goalies. Can one of them stay healthy all season? I think it’s going to be another tough year in the Oiler crease.

30. Munny says:

speeds:
    what are peoples thoughts on some trade centered around Manning for Reimer?

Well, it would be the equivalent of signing a UFA goalie in the 2.5M range. so kind of depends on whether you think Reimer is better than the UFA options.

31. Munny says:

Varly didn’t have a good year. His groin is a known issue. I worry greatly about vets who don’t perform to expectations in a contract year. That usually means something’s wrong. I wouldn’t target Semyon if I was GM.

32. leadfarmer says:

Philly terminating McDonald’s contract
    Can we do this with Lucic please
    He wants to go elsewhere let him sign a new contract

33. JimmyV1965 says:

Wonder if we could package Larsson for Ehlers. I would rather not trade Nurse. I really can’t see the Jets trading Ehlers either. They could trade Trouba and get a good dman. Benning for Roslovic might work as well.

34. Melman says:

leadfarmer: Burakovsky Samsonov Doonskoi
    And Zucker
    I’d be very happy

It’d be great to have Sergei back!!

leadfarmer:
    Philly terminating McDonald’s contract
    Can we do this with Lucic please
    He wants to go elsewhere let him sign a new contract

They are buying out the final year, not terminating it.

The Oilers gain very little in cap saving in buying out Lucic. The best option, apart from a trade for another hopefully slightly less bad contract, is pressboxing him and hoping for compliance buyouts with the next CBA.

36. texmex says:

31 thoughts

11. Puljujarvi, by the way, still prefers a fresh start.

37. ArmchairGM says:

Munny:
    Winnipeg’s issued are with two RHD.Nurse, being a LHD does not fit their needs.And will be expensive shortly.

Their ask is likely a 1st and a cheap RHD.

Benning plus 2020 1st as the core of the deal might get it done with a good prospect thrown in.Larsson instead of Benning definitely gets it done, although the rest of the deal would have to be adjusted.

This hole forces Holland into trading mode, which he knows is typically a losing game without the perfect match of needs and desperation with a dance partner.He won’t do it.

So the answer, then, is to substitute Russell for Benning. 😋

38. Reja says:

godot10: They are buying out the final year, not terminating it.

The Oilers gain very little in cap saving in buying out Lucic.The best option, apart from a trade for another hopefully slightly less bad contract, is pressboxing him and hoping for compliance buyouts with the next CBA.

Can’t see Holland PB Lucic

39. Mr DeBakey says:

Reja: Can’t see Holland PB Lucic

Can you see Tippet parking him?

40. v4ance says:

Have to give Chiarelli props. The worst Oilers GM is the gift that keeps giving.

After the Hall for Larson trade, the trade market for top 4 defencemen chilled to a near standstill for about 8 months as every seller also looked for an all star offensive player in return for their defencemen. Since every no other GM blew out their brains like Chia, it took a few months for the trade values to go back to more realistic expectations.

Since signing Draisaitl to his $8.5 million RFA pact, Chiarelli single handedly reset the price point for all other high end RFAs a good 15% higher than historical norms. It bit Toronto last year and it’ll hit Toronto (again) and Calgary this year as they try to extend Marner, Kapanen and Tkachuk.

Now word out on the twitterverse is that Koskinen’s bloated contract is causing heartburn around the league as other goalies look at his contract and on ice performance as comparables and are asking for similar dollars or more…

Chiarelli was a trailblazer and now everyone else feels the pain! The OBC got nothin on Pete for bringing the stoopid!

***
    I’m happy for Eberle re-signing in NY because I think he deserves it. A little sad because in the back of my mind, I hoped he’d choose to come back to Edmonton while still in his prime years. I think he and his agent did well… Not as well as Skinner but good.

I have a feeling that teams will re-sign a lot of their RFAs and leave a few UFAs without chairs after the music stops. I hope the Oilers read the market correctly and patiently wait for the big tickets to sign and then go shopping for nice bargains amongst the remaining free agents. There’s definitely going to be some disappointed and desperate players after July 5th…

41. Pescador says:

Melman: It’d be great to have Sergei back!!

That’s who I was hoping Yakupov would turn into,
    Samsonov had a motor
    Sadly Nail had the hockey IQ of a turnip

42. Reja says:

Mr DeBakey: Can you see Tippet parking him?

No. Maybe due to a undisclosed injury then again Lucic has been almost Cogliano like the last 1/2 dozen years. Now that Uncle Pete is gone it’ll be interesting to see how Holland handles this situation.

43. Pouzar says:

Rondo: Follow Follow @jbaraldi11
    Replying to @TPS_Guy
    Broberg … don’t think he has the puck skills …

hmmmm…I’ve read that here somewhere 😛

44. Pouzar says:

Elephant in the room.
    When do we trade Nuge? And for what?

No…he isn’t re-signing here /IsmellAbet

45. Pescador says:

leadfarmer:
    Philly terminating McDonald’s contract
    Can we do this with Lucic please
    He wants to go elsewhere let him sign a new contract

Interesting question;
    What sort of contract would a UFA Lucic fetch on the open market?
    I’m going to guess 2 years at $2M per

46. Eh Team says:

speeds: what are peoples thoughts on some trade centered around Manning for Reimer?

Russell for Reimer would be better. Clears up some cap space and Russell is easily replaced. Manning can just be buried in the minors or hopefully someone will claim him when he is sent to the minors before the season starts. Given it’s his last year on his contract perhaps that’s possible.

47. jeetz says:

If Byram drops out of the top 4, would Puljujarvi plus a small add for LA’s 5th overall make sense for both teams? LA needs to get younger and needs immediate help. We get that potential elusive #1 def but may not be ready for a year or 2. Then we can lock on to the best FWD available at #8. I still believe Puljujarvi has an amazing upside, though not a sure thing anymore.

48. Reja says:

v4ance:
    Have to give Chiarelli props.The worst Oilers GM is the gift that keeps giving.

After the Hall for Larson trade, the trade market for top 4 defencemen chilled to a near standstill for about 8 months as every seller also looked for an all star offensive player in return for their defencemen.Since every no other GM blew out their brains like Chia, it took a few months for the trade values to go back to more realistic expectations.

Chiarelli was a trailblazer and now everyone else feels the pain!The OBC got nothin on Pete for bringing the stoopid!

***
    I’m happy for Eberle re-signing in NY because I think he deserves it. A little sad because in the back of my mind, I hoped he’d choose to come back to Edmonton while still in his prime years.I think he and his agent did well… Not as well as Skinner but good.

I have a feeling that teams will re-sign a lot of their RFAs and leave a few UFAs without chairs after the music stops.I hope the Oilers read the market correctly and patiently wait for the big tickets to sign and then go shopping for nice bargains amongst the remaining free agents.There’s definitely going to be some disappointed and desperate players after July 5th…

Pete has thrown the market into a tizzy. Still comes down to there’s only so much money to be had and who gets it.

49. digger50 says:

Mr DeBakey: Can you see Tippet parking him?

I actually can’t see Lucic playing here next season. He has wanted out for three summers now. They must find a solution.

If they can’t it is because Milan accepted a contract he is unable to fulfill. Good person and all,in regards to meeting that contract he is just not able. If someone accepts terms but can’t meet them, I find it acceptable to sit them out.

Milan stands in his own way, he has to help out here.

50. leadfarmer says:

Pescador: Interesting question;
    What sort of contract would a UFA Lucic fetch on the open market?
    I’m going to guess 2 years at $2M per

I think 2 years 2.5 to 3 per is probable
    Teams are slow to adjust and someone will think he will protect the youngens
    Which after the 1st of July isn’t a crazy pay cut for a guy who really wants out
    But I am a guy who thinks teams go too far out of their way to honor these contracts with players that don’t honor their end
    You don’t want to play for me fine but I shouldn’t have to add assets to make you happy

51. leadfarmer says:

I guess McDonald’s contract is a buyout they just worded it wrong

52. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

———————

leadfarmer: Burakovsky Samsonov Doonskoi
    And Zucker
    I’d be very happy

Brandon Pirri, Burakovsky, Lindberg, Reimer

53. YKOil says:

speeds:
    what are peoples thoughts on some trade centered around Manning for Reimer?

I would consider that very seriously.

54. jp says:

v4ance,

Whether or not the Draisaitl deal precipitated a change, his deal is looking pretty damn solid now, is it not?

55. JimmyV1965 says:

jeetz:

The Kings wouldn’t trade 4OV for JP and 8OV so I’m thinking the sweetener would have to be substantial. I would peg JPs trade value at a third rounder. That’s why trading him makes no sense, unless the situation is so toxic that you have virtually no choice.

56. Oilman99 says:

Woogie63:
    1. Watch out on those American Kids – lots of zooming against weak competition.The ONLY players from this pack are Hughes, Turcotte (will be gone by #8) and Zegras

2. Count me as not completely sold on Ehlers.I have always thought me was a perimeter player with great regular season stats and faded, badly in a prolonged play-off.

57. v4ance says:

Dennis Bernstein @DennisTFP
    29s29 seconds ago

To no one’s surprise, Kings announce Dion Phaneuf buyout

58. Oilman99 says:

YKOil: I would consider that very seriously.

Manning for anything other than a bag of pucks will never fly.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Kings have bought out Phaneuf. Some of the buyout cost will hit the team retaining on him – Sens right?

60. Reja says:

leadfarmer: I think 2 years 2.5 to 3 per is probable
    Teams are slow to adjust and someone will think he will protect the youngens

I really think his value went up a bit with the Blues winning heavy maybe the Bruins should bring him back holy smokes they were beat to rat shit with injuries on their Stanley Cup journey. Friedman keeps bringing up Lucic for eriksson wonder if that deal is half done already and they’re waiting for July 2nd.

61. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Kings have bought out Phaneuf.Some of the buyout cost will hit the team retaining on him – Sens right?

Yup, Ottawa. On the hook for 729k, 1.35M, 354k, 354k.

That’s my concern with a retained salary transaction involving Lucic. Pay a premium to dispose of him, then it could still bite you in the ass at a later point.

62. v4ance says:

lisa dillman @reallisa

Checked with the Kings just now and have been told this is it for buyouts. Just one.

63. Death By Misadventure says:

dustrock: I think Dach has a higher ceiling than Cozens

I feel the exact opposite.

I don’t know who said it but I recall reading one of the scouting reports which said Dach played on an offensively superior team and his counting numbers in theory should have been far better.

Yet Cozens showed the better at bats.

This stuck with me.

I think Dach might be shy offensively at the NHL level.

I think of Dustin Penner when thinking of Dach. Good player and stats, but left you wanting more. And I say this as a DP fan.

I would take Couzins as I think his offensive celling is higher..

Then again I’m just a guy, in a basement.

64. speeds says:

Oilman99: Manning for anything other than a bag of pucks will never fly.

I had read that FLA is looking at a buy-out re: Reimer, so they might well prefer Manning. If nothing else, it would be a cheaper buy-out for them.

65. Pescador says:

jp: Yup, Ottawa. On the hook for 729k, 1.35M, 354k, 354k.

Doesn’t that extra money help Ott in their drive for the salary cap floor?
    Agreed, retaining salary on Lucic is begging for ass pain.
    Such a shitty contract to trade
    #fuckpete

66. Death By Misadventure says:

Rondo:
    Guy Flaming

@TPS_Guy

TPS Question of the Week ahead of the 2019 NHL Draft:

J Baraldi

@jbaraldi11
    Follow Follow @jbaraldi11
    Replying to @TPS_Guy

Broberg seems like the obvious answer.

Dark horse candidate: Alex Newhook.

67. Death By Misadventure says:

leadfarmer:
    If I’m trading Nurse I want Huberdeau back

leadfarmer: If I’m trading Nurse I want Huberdeau back not Ehlers

Sold!!

How much do you think Oilers would have to add to make this happen?

68. speeds says:

I had thought Reimer only had one year left on his deal, not two, so you can probably scratch that idea.

69. jp says:

Pescador: Doesn’t that extra money help Ott in their drive for the salary cap floor?

True, though it’s also real money.

In any case, my concern is not how this trade affects Ottawa, but the implications of the oft proposed salary retained trade of Lucic.

And yes, a very very ugly contract. I have trouble finding any sympathy for the player given the structure of that deal. His agent did everything absolutely everything possible to get Lucic that money even no matter how badly his play eroded. Noxious.

70. speeds says:

Random thought: What are the chances EDM signs Kronwall if he doesn’t re-sign with DET?

Particularly if they can/choose to move 1 or 2 of Nurse/Russell/Sekera?

speeds:
    LT wrote:

****

72. Gerta Rauss says:

speeds:

Particularly if they can/choose to move 1 or 2 of Nurse/Russell/Sekera?

If they decide to run Klef/Nurse/Larsson/Sekera as their top 4, they need an established 3LD to settle that 3rd pair down and rotate thru the Bennings/Jones/Bears etc

I can’t say if that someone would/should be Kronwall or not

Gerta Rauss: If they do move on from Russell, I would hope they replace that 3LD “mentor” role with someone

I can’t say if that someone would/should be Kronwall or not

Russell is not and will never be a 3rd pairing mentor because he plays unconventionally. He is pretty much the last defensemen one would want to break in a young defensemen with.

74. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10: Russell is not and will never be a 3rd pairing mentor because he plays unconventionally.He is pretty much the last defensemen one would want to break in a young defensemen with.

No argument here

Moving Russell for (anything) and replacing him with a $2M LD “mentor” saves cap and makes the team better

75. silasbengtsson says:

jp: Yup, Ottawa. On the hook for 729k, 1.35M, 354k, 354k.

76. speeds says:

I see what you are saying. In this particular case it is possible the deal isn’t there in a year though (the 2.8M saved against the cap for WIN in the short term is probably part of why they make that deal, if they do), so if you prefer Ehlers to Nurse, maybe now is the time even if you aren’t as covered on LD as you might like in an ideal situation?

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Concur:
    I was mostly encouraged by Holland saying that he is not looking hard at the defense.3 good lefties, only an upgrade on Russel needed for right.Maybe that upgrade is just him being traded for a goalie or forward and having Benning or Sekera moving up.

He stated outright that he’s “not looking to upgrade the defence” – I’ve come off my 2RD stop-gap as the primary need. There is still a massive question mark there but there are alot of horses to try (Benning again, Sekera, Nurse on his off-side, shit maybe Jones “pops” (on his off side) or Persson.

One more year of “hopeful bets”.

speeds:

Particularly if they can/choose to move 1 or 2 of Nurse/Russell/Sekera?

It’s a possibility for sure.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

speeds:
    what are peoples thoughts on some trade centered around Manning for Reimer?

I suggested Reimer yesterday – either as cheap sign (under $2M) if bought out or with FLA retaining a solid chunk (up to half).

I consider Manning a dead cap hit of $1M so, of course, I’d be quite happy with some sort of deal centered around those two.

I’m all aboard the Reimer as 1B acquisition.

speeds:

81. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    If I’m trading Nurse I want Huberdeau back not Ehlers

Also Chevaldayoff doesn’t do trades unless he absolutely has to

The 26 year old (well 27 shortly) 90 point player (with size) with the near perfect contract – 4 years left at under $6M – runs through the rest of his prime?

I love Darnell Nurse but he’s not getting that player (at least in my opinion).

Not that Nurse would be “giving him away”, far from it, but I do read lots of suggestions of trades that are essentially 50 cents on the dollar for this player.

Ya, they want to be big players in free agency, Huburdeau is NOT the player they divest to accommodate.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Washingtron:
    I guess I don’t see the logic in WPG wanting to make a trade because of the expiring contracts of Myers and Trouba and going after an expiring contract in Nurse?Am I missing something?

Yup – Trouba is going to get paid this off-season. Nurse is going to get paid next off-season.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    Philly terminating McDonald’s contract
    Can we do this with Lucic please
    He wants to go elsewhere let him sign a new contract

Its for a buyout not a “mutual termination”.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Melman: It’d be great to have Sergei back!!

Kevin Lowe did yeoman’s work in the spring of 2006, acquiring Spachek, Tarnstrom, Samsanov and Roloson for the playoff run.

Samamsov did exactly what he was brought in to – added skill and scoring depth.

It was a clear rental at a reasonable cost of a 2nd rounder and Marty Reasoner (poor Marty) – with the 2nd round pick in the 2006 draft, the Boston Bruins select, Milan Lucic.

Oilers spend years drafted the Cameron Abny’s of the world trying to find the next Milan Lucic.

Oilers sign the original Milan Lucic on July 1, 2016.

Milan Lucic falls off the cliff, October 2016 (yes, he was terrible in year 1 – 1.3 P/60 – he only produced on the PP doubling his career highs in all PP metrics).

85. Pescador says:

Lowetide: You could add a LHD to replace Nurse at the same time, that’s a reasonable scenario. Value wise, I’m there with Ehlers, and his contract should be quality for years.

You could replace Nurse, well actually you have too
    Trouble is it would cost you Ehlers

86. OriginalPouzar says:

texmex:
    31 thoughts

11. Puljujarvi, by the way, still prefers a fresh start.

While likely true, this “advice” pre-dates the Holland/Puljujuarvi hour long meeting which Holland came out of speaking about signing the kid and creating an environment to help him succeed!

Just sign for 1 X $1.4M Jesse and lets do this!

87. flyfish1168 says:

After watching this spring’s NHL playoffs and how St Louis played, I can’t help but feel this would be in Darnell’s wheelhouse. NO way would I trade him straight up. Playoff requires toughness and a mean streak. Darnell is the only Oiler Dman that would be able to to bring up the A$$hole mean streak against the other team. I mean this as a compliment. We would be looking for some else like Darnell if we traded him. Did we not learn this lesson yet. Big Buff is getting old. I can see them wanting to replace him.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Can’t see Holland PB Lucic

That would be the call of the coach.

Barring as surprise divestment, Lucic will be on the 23 man roster and Tippett needs to deploy that 23 man roster on each game night in a way he believes gives the team the best chance of winning that night. If he determines that is with Lucic scratched, he’ll scratch him. If he determines that’s with Lucic as 3LW, he’ll start him at 3LW that night.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Brandon Pirri, Burakovsky, Lindberg, Reimer

Pedigree, year younger, more skilled. A feeling he may mesh with McDavid or Drai.

Nothing to “real”.

90. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: Its for a buyout not a “mutual termination”.

Berglund self terminated can’t think of anyone else off hand maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his movies.

91. ArmchairGM says:

jp: Brandon Pirri, Burakovsky, Lindberg, Reimer

I’m sure you’ll get better responses than mine, but my feeling is that Burakovsky has top-6 skills but struggles with consistency, similar to Puljujarvi actually. Brown does not have top-6 skills but makes up for it by playing hard. When Brown got a lot of time next to Matthews and also 1PP time he scored 20 goals, but as his top-6 time dwindled so too did his scoring, down to just 8 this past season.

Burakovsky, on the other hand, has had nothing but 3rd line opportunities (even some 4th line this year) yet has consistently scored 12 goals per year. But it’s his skating/ puck handling/ shooting that makes me think he could be a top-6 guy, he isn’t very good defensively and probably isn’t a good PK option though, unlike Brown. IMO Brown would help the Oilers, but in the same way Kassian does – a semi-skilled bottom-6 player who can move up in a pinch.

Others likely have more insight though.

92. Gerta Rauss says:

Reja: Berglund self terminated can’t think of anyone else off handmaybeArnold Schwarzenegger in one of his movies.

And it was Linda Hamilton that terminated that fucker

93. ArmchairGM says:

Oilman99: Totally agree, the playoff grind is a totally different ball game, tough hard hockey night after night. Proof is the the performance of the small skilled teams this spring, all gone in the first round.

That’s why I like big, fast, skilled players like Cozens and Beecher. They might not be able to do all the tricks guys like Krebs and Zegras can with a puck, but come playoff time and those guys are worth their weight in gold.

94. jp says:

silasbengtsson: Why is that a concern? If you’ve retained say 1.5mil off the contract already, then you only need to cover 1/4 of the buyout cost which- by definition- is cheaper than the contract itself. Since you already committed to retaining the 1.5mil for the 4 years, then the only thing you stand to lose is 1/4 of the 625k buyout penalty that runs 4 years beyond the contract. So 156k x 4

Yeah it’s not such a big deal I guess. But if you retain half and add a 2nd to send him away getting stuck with 4 X 312k after he should be off the books isn’t nothing either.

95. ArmchairGM says:

jp: Yup, Ottawa. On the hook for 729k, 1.35M, 354k, 354k.

Yeah, but they retained buyout cost is always going to be lower than the retention alone, and the final 4 years are a negligible cap hit. I think if you can get Lucic gone at $3M retained for future considerations, you do that all day.

96. ArmchairGM says:

Death By Misadventure: I feel the exact opposite.

Yet Cozens showed the better at bats.

This stuck with me.

I think Dach might be shy offensively at the NHL level.

I would take Couzins as I think his offensive celling is higher..

Then again I’m just a guy, in a basement.

Of course, some will say that Dach didn’t get the opportunities (ice time, PP time, 1st line, etc) Cozens did due to his being on a better team, but I say Dach also didn’t earn those opportunities either.

97. jp says:

OriginalPouzar,

ArmchairGM,

Thanks for the replies.

I was mistaken on a couple of things re: Brown/Burakovsky. I thought Brown was a 2nd round pick for some reason rather than a 6th. I also thought Burakovsky was a year older rather than visa versa. I’m still not sure how big the gap is based on recent NHL results, but Burakovsky clearly has an edge in terms of pedigree, size, skill and age.

98. slopitch says:

Can the oilers and lucic mutually terminate after July 1 bonus?

Nurse for ehlers makes some sense. Id prefer to add without subtracting. Nurse is 23, his next 6 years will be his best. Its fairly lateral imo…

I think Subban goes for cheap this summer. Will be interesting to follow

99. Oil2Oilers says:

Everything coming up LOWETIDE! The Bobfathers draft list going live on the TSN website a full hour before his radio show starts Monday.

100. Gerta Rauss says:

slopitch: Can the oilers and lucic mutually terminate after July 1 bonus?

Sure, they could, but I think there’s a better chance of the Oilers signing ME as a backup goalie than having that happen

101. Oil2Oilers says:

That Holland had a one hour conversation with Puljujarvi is the most positive change in the way the Oilers have been managed since the Printer acquisition. Even if it all does not work out I can’t think of a mature rational move made by Oilers management in that time period.

102. Pescador says:

ArmchairGM: Can either of you (or someone else) elaborate on why you think Burakovsky is a better target than Connor Brown? I can’t see anything in the NHL numbers (or OHL ones for that matter) that clearly separates the two. Yet the consensus seems to be that Brown is an overrated 3rd liner while Burakovsky has significant upside. I don’t have strong feelings either way, just trying to understand what seems to me to be a disconnect.

I’m sure you’ll get better responses than mine, but my feeling is that Burakovsky has top-6 skills but struggles with consistency,similar to Puljujarvi actually.Brown does not have top-6 skills but makes up for it by playing hard. When Brown got a lot of time next to Matthews and also 1PP time he scored 20 goals, but as his top-6 time dwindled so too did his scoring, down to just 8 this past season.

Others likely have more insight though.

I floated a straight up Puljujarvi for Burakovsky trade a few weeks ago.
    Something I didn’t consider but want to know your thoughts on;
    I believe some of us attribute Puljujarvi’s struggles to shitty linemates on a less then stellar Oilers team.
    What then do we make of Burakovsky’s struggles playing 3rd line minutes on a championship roster.
    I forget who his most common line mates were but I suspect they were far better than Strome Lucic

103. pts2pndr says:

jp: Brandon Pirri, Burakovsky, Lindberg, Reimer

For me it’s not the player it’s the team. Passing someone a bat that has shown an inclination to wanting your gonads for batting practice doesn’t make sense. If this trade works out badly we would never hear the end of it. You only make a trade with Toronto that is a guaranteed win! A bad trade with Toronto would make Hockey night in Canada insufferable until long after many of us are dead.

104. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar: Can either of you (or someone else) elaborate on why you think Burakovsky is a better target than Connor Brown? I can’t see anything in the NHL numbers (or OHL ones for that matter) that clearly separates the two. Yet the consensus seems to be that Brown is an overrated 3rd liner while Burakovsky has significant upside. I don’t have strong feelings either way, just trying to understand what seems to me to be a disconnect.

Nothing to “real”.

Plug burakovsky in for last 3 years.
    I think he will break out in another team sort of like Domi and Lindholm this year

Also Ehlers looks good but cost will be steep

105. Glovjuice says:

McNuge93:

I trade Klef before Nurse. Klef has been injured enough for me to choose him to trade over Nurse. Plus. Nurse has a hot sister with legs forever to wrap around Drai.

106. Reja says:

Gerta Rauss: Kovalchuk walked away from millions in Jersey, granted, it was to make millions in Russia

And it was Linda Hamilton that terminated that fucker

107. Reja says:

Oil2Oilers:

Did they use hand signals or maybe Holland knows how to speak Tikkanenese.

ArmchairGM: At least it isn’t your mom’s basement! FWIW I agree, Dach was on a powerhouse team and was mid-pack, Cozens was clearly pushing the river.

Dach got much more PP time then Cozens. Basically first unit vs 2ND unit.

109. Gerta Rauss says:

Reja: I don’t really count Kovi that was a one time scam by Jersey and him. There must be others that just up and quit while under contract

I’m sure there is other examples but they’d mostly be minor league(ish) players in the same boat as Rajala ie: another contract waiting for them elsewhere

Lucic is owed $19M- I don’t think he’s walking away from that

110. Glovjuice says:

jeetz:

Ok, no Ghandi here…….you must be joking right ? Read through what you posted. Puli and a SMALL add for 5 overall. Your post was a typo or I’m misinterpreting correct ?

111. who says:

Munny:

Their ask is likely a 1st and a cheap RHD.

Trading Larsson leaves a hole.
    Benning is replaceable.

112. Glovjuice says:

Lowetide: If I’m making a trade, it needs to address weakness and borrow from strength. I think a Nurse trade is more palatable next season, so that would take precedent in the consideration.

113. leadfarmer says:

Gerta Rauss: Toni Rajala walked away from the last year of his Oilers contract in 2013 after he decided he’d rather play in Sweden than OKC

Lucic is owed $19M- I don’t think he’s walking away from that

Berglund walked away from 12 mil

114. OriginalPouzar says:

slopitch:
    Can the oilers and lucic mutually terminate after July 1 bonus?

115. Gerta Rauss says:

leadfarmer: Berglund walked away from 12 mil

Yes, I know, I posted the Berglund story on here last week

And I think it was $13M

116. who says:

speeds:

This is why I think a Klefbom/Nurse for Ehlers deal makes some sense.
    We have veteran cover for 2 years and 3 promising youngsters coming. Weakens the defense for this year but strengthens the forward group.
    The closest impact forward the Oilers have coming is probably the guy they draft at 8OV. They have a lot more options on the backend.
    Ehlers is probably at his lowest value right now. I prefer him to Huberdeau because he is younger, and signed for 6 more years. That kind of cost certainty, through Mcdavids contract, is huge.
    I think if the Oilers draft a forward they should maintain the status quo. But if they draft Broberg, a Klefbom for Ehlers plus makes a lot of sense.

117. rickithebear says:

Goaltenders are dependent on the expected Save% the Dpairs established by the shot density of shots that have a greater than 0% chance of going in.
    The Open shot density that excludes shots that hit the goalie in the pads, body, arms, glove & blocker requiring no movement cause of table hockey goalie positioning relative to the puck.

Every analyst fails to exclude non scorable shots because of the desire to hold to a binary approach.
    Making all shot density heat chart an embarrassment to real sports analysts ( multivariable).

You want to establish the highest expected save% from your defensive pairs by reducing the high danger density and open shot%.

In 16-17 Nurse was not a contract chasing rover. We were one of the better expected HD open sh save% defences.

Last 2 years Klefbom & Nurse have been a failure in maintaining the 2-1 ga structure best suited for championship play.
    Dragging down
    1. a historical top 5 1st comp HD dman Larsson
    2. League #1 open shot reducing Dman Russell
    3. Historical top 5 2 Nd comp HD dman Sekera
    4. Top 60 HD man Benning

Chiarelli failed by over reducing our Goal production from the forward group.
    Eberle should have never been traded.
    Reinhart was a waste of Pit #16 MacT acquired.
    20 min of top 5 HD dman for 15 min of injury prone #1 forward who misses 17 games a season is a no brainer in multi variable analytics. The 17 missed games causes top 60 (#2) forward offensive production.

I have said this for 2 years now I would sacrifice one of Klefbom or Nurse for forward goal production ( not pt production).
    Klefbom first if Nurse becomes a team player.
    Nurse could be an elite HD dman if he played like he does with National teams and like he did in 16-17 in Edmonton.
    Otherwise he is a bottom 10 in league open shot dman. Resulting in his history of bottom 10 evga/60.

LT: How much would ehlers cost? 7+M?
    It replaces Eberle,s 23g per season.

Anyhow fix away fans!

Trading Nurse would be as catastrophic as trading Petry was.

Ricki: Ehlers is signed through 2025 summer.

120. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Has your dog passed the multivariable analysis charts that he ate yet?

121. pts2pndr says:

Glovjuice: But, the consensus here is that the Oil will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this coming season anyway. So, why not trade Nurse now when his value is higher as a pre-RFA? In the end we extract more value for the run in 20-21.

By next year you have a far better read on what you actually have in both your young D and wether JP or Benson can be substantial adds on the wing. It s like betting on your draw poker hand before you see what you have got on the draw. One year can make a substantial difference in your team needs.

122. rickithebear says:

Concur:

Yes 3 good lefties when it comes 2 championship standard.
    1 good – Sekera
    2 god for nothing – Nurse, Klefbom

Last 6 years when I talked to Math Academics I allways ask about Bolean math (multivariable)
    Their are no lead mathematicians that direct them to it.
    Often causing Math students interested in Bolean to seek multivariable Analysis.

Two I know have become doctors cause they get to do health identification based on multivariable symptom analysis.
    Many become dynamic system engineers.

Binary is really grade 8 level of math thinking applied to university level of discussion.
    Multi variable is higher than grade 24 ( post docarate) thinking.

Multivariable is migrating into academia as leading binary experts in math & sciences reject their own work for multi variable aproach.

Love who it is looking @ transition passing from Dmen.
    which is one of the critical factors in off zone entry rates
    based on my SOE multi variable affects results.
    That they identified Russel was #2 transition passing Dman was real awesome.

Might have been Pescador.

123. rickithebear says:

Ricki: Ehlers is signed through 2025 summer.

Looked at cap friendly?
    I will look again.
    6M that is Eberle 13-14 contract for ebelws consistent 23g 59p production.

124. Gerta Rauss says:

Olli Maatta to the Hawks for a prospect

Gerta Rauss:
    Olli Maatta to the Hawks for a prospect

Increases the odds of Byram going #5OV

126. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    rickithebear,

Has your dog passed the multivariable analysis charts that he ate yet?

Why would you care about higher than grade 24 analytics.
    Oh wait.
    Unless you are into stealing cars.

Had one of my cars stolen while I left it running outside a confectionary store.
    He pulled out in front of a cop.
    While I was on the phone to police.
    I said , “ pulled out in front of one of your cars near the comuniplex.”
    “ just a minute sir”
    They get back on line
    “ sir your car is in a high speed chase”
    He crashed it near three reserves.
    The dogs lost trail of him.
    Turns out rubbing yourself with dog shit is a common practice for some car thieves off reserves.

You after the dog shit?
    So your not really a farmer?

127. leadfarmer says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Olli Maatta to the Hawks for a prospect

Maata is awful
    Nice trade for pens to shed cap

128. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer: Maata is awful
    Nice trade for pens to shed cap

Matta is a top 30 open sh HD dman.
    A young Hjarlmasson replaced!
    +44 in 2 cup seasons
    +9 last year.
    Not rover adjusted numbers.

F……………..

129. Gerta Rauss says:

leadfarmer: Maata is awful
    Nice trade for pens to shed cap

Looks like he has an injury history as well- 1 season in the last 5 with a full season played

130. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

What on earth are you babbling about

The matter is you talk about all these analysis techniques and when someone called you out on showing some data a couple of years ago it vanished
    And somehow you continue liking these terrible defensemen
    We thought you may have learned your lesson after being the only one in favor of the Manning trade

131. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear: Why would you care about higher than grade 24 analytics.
    Oh wait.
    Unless you are into stealing cars.

He pulled out in front of a cop.
    While I was on the phone to police.
    I said , “ pulled out in front of one of your cars near the comuniplex.”
    “ just a minute sir”
    They get back on line
    “ sir your car is in a high speed chase”
    He crashed it near three reserves.
    The dogs lost trail of him.

You after the dog shit?
    So your not really a farmer?

Let me guess
    Your stolen car had your data sets in it
    And they are gone again

132. Gerta Rauss says:

rickithebear,

Was it a ’64 Malibu that got stolen..?

133. Scungilli Slushy says:

I love Holland’s pressers. He says exactly what I want to hear. I hope he does it.

When he said you can’t have too many small players, however they can contribute, and that personal drive is important, it was manna for me.

Coming from his background and teams, he gets ‘balance’. The Oilers haven’t got balance in donkey’s years.

The Oilers can compete for a playoff spot easily with the core they have. It’s the easy parts missing.

It may take a bit to trust competence. But competence makes the team formidable in the short term IMO.

Not just because St Louis won. Because they have really good players that have been comprised by wrong headed thinking.

134. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

leadfarmer:
    rickithebear,

What on earth are you babbling about

And somehow you continue liking these terrible defensemen

leadfarmer: Let me guess
    Your stolen car had your data sets in it
    And they are gone again

Everyone not trolling is entitled to their opinion and should be welcomed in the discussion, please show respect to one another. Thx.

135. rickithebear says:

Gerta Rauss:
    rickithebear,

Was it a ’64 Malibu that got stolen..?

No Toyota Carroll!

Mopar man I was in my youth.
    69 convertible Cuda
    72 Dart
    73 fast back duster owner

Should of
    Could of

136. Rondo says:

“BURKE: Weighing the Risk and Reward of NHL Draft Prospect Philip Broberg”

137. OriginalPouzar says:

who: This is why I think a Klefbom/Nurse for Ehlers deal makes some sense.
    I think if the Oilers draft a forward they should maintain the status quo. But if they draft Broberg,a Klefbomfor Ehlers plus makes a lot of sense.

Whoa – Ehlers over Huburdeau? Two more years of term is nice but Huburdeau, over 90 points and under $6M for the next four years, his 27-31 age years – that size and skill along with McDavid and Drai would be unreal.

We could then trade Nuge for Subban and, boom, cup!

138. Jaxon says:

This is my Oilers age cluster table. I made this in an attempt to surmise when the Oilers will be at their peak, with the best chance to win the Cup. I think it’s a valuable tool to have when making roster decisions.

My premise is that forwards, defencemen, and goalies typically peak at different times. I’ve color coded the peaks in order visualize it better. When nearly the entire team, and especially the core players, are in the yellow, orange and red range, the Oilers will have their best chance at winning.

Right now, it looks like 2022-23 will be their best opportunity with a major improvement following the upcoming 2019-20 season as some’green’ players migrate into their NHL pro era. The Oilers should continue to be highly competitive right through McDavid’s contract, which finishes after the 2025-26 season.

I think they should keep Nurse, maybe sign a forward or two (I like Duchene depending on cap hit), and draft two fast forward snipers (I’ve already optimistically included Cozens and Beecher in this table). Forwards from next week’s draft should migrate into valuable pro status alongside the older Bouchard.

Have a look and let me know your thoughts. The age ranges for forwards, defencemen, and goalies are mostly by guy without a lot of rigorous scientific data used other than looking up when a bunch of players become NHL regulars, when they peak, and when they fall of cliffs.

Legend : F , D , G
    Draft : 17-18 , 17-18 , 17-18
    Green : 19-20 , 19-22 , 19-22
    Pro : 21-23 , 23-25 , 23-27
    Prime : 24-26 , 26-28 , 28-30
    Young Vet : 27-29 , 29-30 , 31-31
    Vet : 30-32 , 31-32 , 32-34
    Downhill : 33-35 , 33-35 , 35-37
    Retiree : 36-38 , 36-38 , 38-40
    Jagr/Chara/Luongo : 39+ , 39+ , 41+

139. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Trading Nurse would be as catastrophic as trading Petry was.

I am not on board trading Nurse unless there was a return that can’t be turned down but I can’t get on side that statement. What were we left with after Petry was traded? Shultz, Fayne, Nikitin?

We already have Klefbom playing above Nurse and Sekera to cover for Nurse.

Not proven yet but I posit that one of Jones or Lagesson will be able to cover 3LD, maybe even both. No sure bet but Samorukov may come to help in a year or two.

The left D depth right now draws the right D depth when Petry was traded.

Yes, I get trading players entering their primes but this is not the same situation.

140. Jaxon says:

If you were keeping an eye out for the fastest players in the league to add to your roster, who would you add to this list? Is there anyone that shouldn’t be on this list. If I’m building a team around McDavid I think I’d want it to be the dates team on the planet.

Player POS AGE
    Jack Hughes

141. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    rickithebear,

What on earth are you babbling about

And somehow you continue liking these terrible defensemen

How can you know any truth when you do not even understand the difference between a shot that has 0% chance of going in closed ( hit goalie) and open shot hitting open space in net elevation requiring a save.

You need to concentrate on Open shot chart.

No one does that.

The ask for data was from VOR.
    The only one who mattered on here to me when it came to understanding multi variable analysis.
    Analysis he got it.

That was around the time of cancer diagnosis
    Then 4 months of cancer cocktail,
    Prep for Stem cell transplant 1 month
    Stem cell transplant involving 45 days of body rejecting food.
    1 week of dementia (playing dragon soccer in game of thrones) partnered with 14 days of tube feeding.
    2 weeks of being helped to the shower by 4 staff daily sitting in my own shit, piss & puke then rincing off repeat.
    Kidney failure with dialysis in around the
    Getting out of hospital after 90 days.
    1 month without drugs.
    Put on Revlammid for duration.
    Lots of days with no energy and sleeping for 20 hrs a day during this whole time.
    Last 2 weeks have been up for 1 HR to be with kids before going to school.
    Waking up again once they are back from school.
    Staying up with them till they go to bed if I can.

Did some preliminary work on multivariable analysis of NFL win mechanism, schemes, roster structures.

When it comes to my data.
    I was going to try to approach Tippett thru Ronnie Gunville (PA raiders director of player personel) when Tippett was with Seattle.
    Tippet briefly went to same school in PA. ( played on same school hockey team for couple games)
    He might be aware of who I am.

But my wife had asked me to save it for my own web site.
    For all my theories
    and
    the cup roster deficiencies for each team.
    She has individuals willing to help with site construction.

All of this is zero priority until I can get any standard of life.
    Or
    If Cancer proteins return and financial viable self running web site becomes part of the priority.

No data for you!

142. Bobcaygeon says:

A couple threads back, I asked Lowetide what he thought about Semyon Varlamov, the concern or discussion was about his cost.
    If the Oilers could get Varlamov on the cheap that would be a win.
    It would be interested to know what kind of quality of shots Varlamov took compared to Elliot given the team in front of them.
    I’m not a huge advance states guy but I’m guessing Varlamov seen lot of high quality chances.

On the record, I believe ether Elliot or Varlamov should be a must acquisition.

143. Woogie63 says:

Jaxon,

Miles Wood

144. jp says:

Pescador: I floated a straight up Puljujarvi for Burakovsky trade a few weeks ago.
    Something I didn’t consider but want to know your thoughts on;

Puljujarvi’s career most common linemates (everyone over 200 min):
    Lucic 670
    McDavid 408
    Nuge 399
    Strome 307
    Khaira 292
    Draisaitl 283

Burakovsky’s most common linemates over the past 3 seasons (also >200 min):
    Eller 1147
    Connolly 898
    Backstrom 499
    Oshie 392
    Kuznetzov 252

Neither player can complain too much about shitty linemates IMO. And I think overall that JP could claim better linemates rather than worse.

Surprisingly Burakovsky scored 1.91/60 at 5on5 over the past 3 yrs (despite 35, 25 and 25 total points), so I guess it’s hard to say he actually did struggle. Puljujarvi’s only managed 1.14/60, though he’s much younger so we shouldn’t expect him to be on par yet.

The more I look the more I am convinced that Burakovsky is a worthwhile target though. I’m struggling with Puljujarvi’s valuation (as everyone is I guess). I’d prefer to keep JP and add Burakovsky for a pick.

145. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

I believe you meant no data for anyone
    Well Maybe data for just the dog

146. jp says:

leadfarmer: Maata is awful
    Nice trade for pens to shed cap

Good Lord. You know Maatta is just 24?

It’s a fine trade because the pens cleared some cap space and got a guy who scored 37 points in his rookie year (though at age 23). But Maatta is not awful.

This past season was the worst of his career. In each of the previous 3 years he played, and won 2nd pairing minutes. The trade works for both teams.

147. leadfarmer says:

jp: Good Lord. You know Maatta is just 24?

It’s not his age that’s the issue.
    He got cancer and then he’s been injured
    His once bright future has been taken away from him
    Now he just gets beat wide a lot

148. JimmyV1965 says:

If we could get someone like Ehlers, and I doubt we could, I would do much rather trade the 8OV then Nurse or Klefbom.

149. Jaxon says:

Woogie63:
    Miles Wood

Ah, yes. Thanks.
    I should add Magnus Paajarvi, and Brandon Tanev too.

150. hags9k says:

Nurse for Ehlers is as bad of an idea as I’ve heard here in a while. Awful…I was going to insult Ehlers by calling him a word associated with cats, but instead I will just remind everybody that Darnell is 24, 279GP, just scored 26 and then 41pts yr over yr and is a stone cold killer.

Trade him for a buttersoft LW? Get serious.

151. jp says:

leadfarmer: It’s not his age that’s the issue.
    He got cancer and then he’s been injured
    His once bright future has been taken away from him
    Now he just gets beat wide a lot

The cancer was in 2014.

He should recover fully from the shoulder thing and be fine going forward.

152. slopitch says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t imagine Lucic would be interested in walking about from 16 million dollars.

Me neither. Its possible that there are a few teams that would take him but there isnt a good fit tradewise. Could Lucic get 3 million over the next 4 years? I dunno

Anyways doubtful like u said. If theres a team thats interested its more on Holland to make it work than for Lucic to risk 16 mill

153. Jaxon says:

Interesting thing I noticed doing the Oilers age clusters is that Samorukov and Bouchard are only 4 months apart in age. Same with Maksimov and McLeod, who are only 3 months and 3 weeks apart. It puts the great seasons of the two Russians in a pretty good light. Similarly, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi are only 4 months and 3 weeks apart. Benson and Puljujarvi are Only 2 months and three weeks apart. Maybe we should calm down on calling Puljujarvi a failure at this point. Copper Marody is the closest to McDavid in age (3 weeks). Nuge and Rattie are only 2 months, 1 week apart and Nygard is older than both of them.

154. leadfarmer says:

jp: The cancer was in 2014.

He should recover fully from the shoulder thing and be fine going forward.

Maata without Crosby had a 37% goal share 5v5 last year. Crosby without Maataa had a 60% goal share
    He’s going to have to get healthy and stay that way for a while to get his career back on track

Jaxon:
    Interesting thing I noticed doing the Oilers age clusters is that Samorukov and Byram are only 4 months apart in age. Same with Maksimov and McLeod, who are only 3 months and 3 weeks apart. It puts the great seasons of the two Russians in a pretty good light. Similarly, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi are only 4 months and 3 weeks apart. Benson and Puljujarvi are Only 2 months and three weeks apart. Maybe we should calm down on calling Puljujarvi a failure at this point. Copper Marody is the closest to McDavid in age (3 weeks). Nuge and Rattie are only 2 months, 1 week apart and Nygard is older than both of them.

Bowen Byram Birthday: Jun 13 2001
    Dmitri Samourukov Birthday: Jun 16 1999

4 months?

I think you mean Bouchard.

156. YKOil says:

On the front-end of it, very nice trade by Pittsburgh. That said, Pittsburgh now needs a d-man (Maata >>> Johnson). Will be interesting to see who they pick-up.

157. jp says:

leadfarmer: Maata without Crosby had a 37% goal share 5v5 last year.Crosby without Maataa had a 60% goal share

Maatta and Crosby had an 87% goal share together.

Maatta was 58% without Malkin. Malkin was 49% without Maatta.

This is not helping.

158. Jaxon says:

godot10: Bowen Byram Birthday: Jun 13 2001
    Dmitri Samourukov Birthday:Jun 16 1999

4 months?

I think you mean Bouchard.

Damn! Yes, Bouchard. I’ve got draft on the brain.

159. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Whoa – Ehlers over Huburdeau?Two more years of term is nice but Huburdeau, over 90 points and under $6M for the next four years, his 27-31 age years – that size and skill along with McDavid and Drai would be unreal.

We could then trade Nuge for Subban and, boom, cup!

And Subban at 9 million is a bad idea.

160. OriginalPouzar says:

Jaxon:

In my opinion, Maksimov’s season is being materially under-rated. He started off the season with a goal scoring bump over last year, on pace for 50 goals. Once Niagara loaded up, he was asked, and agreed to, take on more of a “2-way” “all purpose” role and took less offensive opportunities. He still produced well and excelled in the role he was asked to play. We should remember, Maksi is more than an offensive guy and a shooter, he is a plus defensive player and a great penalty killer at the CHL level.

Yup, it boggles my mind a bit when Benson is though of as a top prospect in the org and Puljujarvi is all but a bust that should be given away. They are essentially the same age. Yup, diverging arrows right now but does anyone think that Jesse wouldn’t have been right at a PPG if given 60 AHL games? His 4 games stint provided 17 shots on net, 4 points, a fight, and the best player on the ice in 2 of the 4 games.

161. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Yes. Ehlers over Huberdeau. Huberdeau is good, but Barkov and Trocheck are the guys driving the bus in Florida.
    And Subban at 9 million is a bad idea.

Klefbom/Subban
    Nurse/Larsson
    Sekera/Benning

That wins you Stanley Cups!

The three year term on Subban is perfect.

162. russ99 says:

Maatta is a good defensive defenseman and only 24. His only deficiency is skating, There’s also the health concerns.

He’s good at zone exit passes, has an on-ice Sv% of 92.48 (these are three year avg, due to time missed), and rel high danger goals against/60 of -0.11 and rel shots against/60 of 0.67. PDO is 1.005. Good numbers on blocks and hits too.

Natural stat trick has defensive stats, yay!

Good trade for the Hawks, they needed help on defense, and have a lot of good young forwards, plus they’re probably gonna add another good one at the draft.

OriginalPouzar: Klefbom/Subban
    Nurse/Larsson
    Sekera/Benning

That wins you Stanley Cups!

The three year term on Subban is perfect.

Salary Cap is a thing. You have to get rid of Lucic and Russell and take on no cap doing so.

And then actually trade for Subban using assets.