Draft Week Post No. 1: 10 Items or Less

In past summers, the Oilers have telegraphed exits. We knew in 2016 Hall was in play, certainly by the time the name Milan Lucic leaked. In 2017, this blog ran Strome’s numbers against Eberle’s 10 days before the deal was done. This year? Ken Holland has been dropping some hints but we’ve yet to discover his delivery, his cadence, and we don’t know if he’s going counter trey with the verbal.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group, here’s an incredible Father’s Day Offer!

• New Jonathan Willis: How are the Oilers affected by early offseason trades and buyouts to Dion Phaneuf, Andrew MacDonald?
  • New Lowetide: Falling talent and other fun facts that could benefit the Oilers in the NHL Draft
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Evaluating the pros and cons of potential Oilers buyout candidates
  • New Lowetide: Oilers GM Ken Holland is shopping for 20-goal scorers on a budget. What will he find?
  • New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Jay Woodcroft returning to coach AHL Condors and be reunited with Ken Holland
  • Lowetide: Looking at the Oilers’ options for the No. 8 pick at the 2019 NHL Draft.
  • Jonathan Willis: How many of Sam Gagner, Zack Kassian and Jujhar Khaira can play top-nine minutes for the Oilers?
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanQ&A with Ken Holland: On the draft, buyouts, free agency and how to have a successful offseason
  • Lowetide: Trading for Loui Eriksson: What makes sense for the Oilers?
  • Jonathan Willis: Differing needs of Oilers, Jets could create a trade fit
  • Lowetide: How will Ken Holland build around Connor McDavid?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The top five players the Oilers could lose in the expansion draft
  • Jonathan Willis: What a trade involving Edmonton’s No. 8 pick might look like given Ken Holland’s history
  • LowetideHard Target Search: Finding the Oilers a centre who can penalty kill, help shape a useful third line, and serve in a mentor role
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: How a third-line grinder launched the star-filled Oilers to their first Stanley Cup and a hockey dynasty.
  • Lowetide: Is Zack Kassian the answer for the McDavid-Draisaitl line?

QUESTIONS

Who is a lock to be traded? It depends on how much Holland wants to get done in one summer. What deals that can be made? How many conversations can Edmonton get themselves involved in? Holland’s career as a trader is a lot about a pick for a player and vice versa.

Who do you think is in play? I’ll say Milan Lucic, Jujhar Khaira, Jesse Puljujarvi and Matt Benning, plus maybe the second rounder are in play. But that’s a guess. Lucic is the only name on Frank Seravalli’s latest trade board.

What are the Oilers looking for? We have to take Holland at his word. He wants a goalie, in free agency, he is not of a mind to chase a defenseman, but has said he wants to change the bottom six forwards. Maybe Nik Ehlers enters the conversation but it’s likely to be small moves.

When will these trades go down? It could be any time, but the deals discussed (Benning for Brown, Lucic for Eriksson) can be done later on. These aren’t blockbusters.

What about Nurse for Ehlers? A new general manager means a new set of eyes on the roster. I don’t know that Nurse has the same status as he did under MacT and Chiarelli. If you look at things logically, a LHD being dealt is drawing from a roster strength. I don’t know that it’s Nurse, maybe it’s Klefbom or Larsson. I wouldn’t trade any of them until one of Jones, Bouchard, Samorukov or other has proven they can play inside the top-4 successfully.

And the draft pick? I think the Oilers will use No. 8 overall, not as certain about No. 38. This remains a building organization, imagine Holland recognizes it.

What about trading Kris Russell or Andrej Sekera? Ideal scenario has Russell being dealt for little or no money, or a scoring forward. Jonathan Willis wrote on this subject and others this morning (here). Sekera’s injury history reduces potential return, but Russell should have value.

I’m impatient for this party to get started. If you look at Holland’s previous summers, he makes moves when it arrives. Last June, he made one small move (June 24, traded Robbie Russo for a pick). The previous offseason, they re-acquired goalie Thomas McCollum. The last major summer deal was the Datsyuk trade on the draft floor (offloading money).

Last major June acquisition? June 30, 2001. Holland traded Slava Kozlov and a first-round pick to Buffalo for Dominik Hasek. Helluva trade. Hasek won all 16 games in the 2002 Stanley run.

What are your expectations of this team in 2019-20? If the Oilers want to make the playoffs, the team should buy out Sekera and Gagner, trade the No. 8 overall pick and bring in names like Gustav Nyquist. That’s sort of what Peter Chiarelli attempted in 2015, and it’s possible or even likely Holland would do a better job of it. I don’t believe that’s the route the organization should or will take.

Can they make the playoffs? Yes, I think they can but it won’t be pretty. Choosing wisely on the second goalie, finding a second scoring line from Nuge and remnants/roll ends, and reworking the bottom six forwards to add some penalty killers and secondary scoring. There are two jobs, next year and then every year after. Holland can’t rob Peter to pay Paul.

Who is the biggest name they’ll pursue? Jacob Trouba. They won’t land him (Trouba won’t sign here) but he’s a Holland-type player.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY

Father’s Day began with my walking downstairs and being greeted by my son sitting in the rocking chair. A house with young people should have a flashing ‘open all hours’ sign, it’s a living thing. NO idea when these people sleep. My son is going to NAIT in the fall or next year, taking the Radio and Televsion program. I’ve seen hundreds of kids benefit from their experience, thrilled he’s going to give the industry a try. He’s very creative (writes his own songs for the video games he and his friends create) so maybe there’s a job out there for a producer who can wield a keyboard.

My daughter is looking for work and upgrading with an eye to teaching. She’ll be great at it, very caring person with a mountain of empathy. She doesn’t like me telling you about her, so I’ll just say the funniest lines in this house come from her. She’s a hoot.

We’re all fine, the family is progressing as it should. Mom and I are painting the deck this week, getting the cars in for checkups, maybe doing a dump run, following trades and the draft. I’m a lucky father and husband, we’re all so fortunate to work for Ziggy.

Enjoy your day, men. And if you’re lucky enough to have a living, breathing Father (even if he isn’t your biological Dad, you know who your Father is) then you hug the stuffing out of him today and I mean it

108 Responses to "Draft Week Post No. 1: 10 Items or Less"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think there are any locks to get traded.

We all want a Lucic disposition. Some feel its all but done. I, personally, don’t see how its done without too much pain.

Most want a Russell disposition for cap space. If it wasn’t for the trade protection, this would be much easier.

I could see a Manning deal with retained salary. Yes, if the Oilers retain $1M on Manning, there will be trade value there.

Benning is in play, I’m sure.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I really like Holland’s stated plans:

– a solid 1B type goalie is a priority – he mentioned free agency and after July 1 so he’s not looking at Varlamov or Bob, makes sense – hopefully he can get Riemer for a <$1.8M cap hit

– he's not looking to upgrade the defence – 2 months ago, I wanted a stop gap 2RD – Now, I'm fine with another year of "internal bets and development" and see where we get to and how quickly Bouchard develops

– he's looking for wingers but speaks more to finding depth and skill for the bottom 6. Again, OP is happy as OP is not looking for commitment with term to "older established wingers" – good bets for the top 6 – maybe one Connolly level type guy.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I really don’t see Holland trading Nurse. When Nugent Bowman asked Holland about signing him long term a year early, Holland was resistant because he didn’t “know the player” and then listed a bunch of attributes that he favors – he essentially was describing Nurse with those attributes – commitment to working out, heart, skating, etc.

There may be a time when we need to move up from an incumbent material left D – I think we are at least a year away as we will know much more about the youngsters in a year.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Holland all but said he’s making that pick at 8 – “can’t foresee a scenario where he trades it”.

Of course, 38 is in play, as are all assets but at some point this organization needs to stop trading away 2nd rounders.

Our 2nd round picks in recent years: Benson and McLeod – that’s it – both legit solid prospects/assets.

OP: Sometimes general managers lie. They say things because they don’t want anyone to know what they’re thinking. I do agree Holland “appears” to be committed to working around the edges but we don’t know for sure. Yet.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

As far as what the Oilers should do if they really wanted to push for playoffs (which is clearly NOT what Holland is going to do) – I don’t see how buying out Sekera helps. It opens up some cap space but not enough to make the team better than what Sekera brings. Sekera is a real NHL d-man and reasonably likely a solid 2nd pairing d-man. Does a couple million dollars of cap space buy that (or the equivalent forward)? I say no.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

The more I think about it, the more I think Jame Reimer would be a nice fit – no, not at his current cap hit but there is much speculation about him being bought out which means he should be available to sign fairly cheaply or could be acquired pre-buyout with FLA retaining.

Not a great year this past year but he was hurt. Previous three years have really good traditional numbers – without digging in to it, I wouldn’t think he was zoomed by a high end defensive team.

8. wheatnoil says:

Happy Father’s Day LT. Glad your family is doing well.

wheatnoil:
    Happy Father’s Day LT. Glad your family is doing well.

Thanks, Wheat! Best to you and yours.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Happy Fathers Day Al – I’m sure I’m not over-stepping when i say we ALL have gratitude for the platform you provide.

Have a great day!

OriginalPouzar: Very true – fool me once….. then again, until I see otherwise, I’ll take him at face value – maybe that’s because his verbal lines up generally with how I would like to see things proceed.

Have a great day!

Thanks, OP. I have no expectations of Holland so far, so if he trades for Brent Seabrook or trades for Nik Ehlers I’ll react to the deal and not to the plan. General managers have plans in May, and sometimes they do the opposite in June.

12. Jethro Tull says:

Pancakes and smoothies for breakfast. Taking my new Clipper canoe on her maiden voyage with the kids at the lake. Then a BBQ with some sour beer in the sun. Perfect Father’s day.

My own Dad is back in the UK. We’ll probably talk later, my brother and sister have taken him out for a hike and then the pub. He’s had his battles with mental health issues. He was in the army in Northern Ireland during the early ’70s. Only pictures of him there are with long hair and civilian clothing. He won’t talk about it. Then he was a police officer for 15yrs before being invalided out due to back issues stemming from the army. I guess running around with over 80lb strapped to you at a time when there wasn’t them there fancy backpack systems does that to a guy.

He’s a lot better now. I always remember him as being very harsh with me but loving to my brother and sister, which I can love him for. Maybe I wasn’t the easiest child.

Be kind to one another. Hockey can go pound sand today.

13. dustrock says:

Extra bonus LT, Ziggy Stardust was released today back in 72. One of the greatest albums of all time.

My daughter is turning 8 very soon and we spent all day yesterday at a U9 soccer tournament which we won. Let me tell you a 1-0 win in the final game was just as epic as watching Game 7 of the SCF, at least for this dad.

My own father will never retire and continues to putter around. He will be 50 years at the bar next year, which is hard for me to imagine.

Happy Father’s Day to all.

14. Rube Foster says:

LT,
    Happy Fathers Day!
    Thrilled to hear that your family is thriving and that life is good working on Ziggy’s Farm!

I’m hopping one of Dach or Cozens is there for us in the 8th hole and that Holland lands us a swack of fast and affordable Swedes – Red Wings North!

15. npanciroli says:

Happy Father’s Day everyone! Today will be my first with my 8 month old. Still feels surreal after years of trying.

I do wonder if Russell is more likely to go and Benning more likely to stay with Tippett and Holland at the helm.

16. leeinvan says:

I think this is the year you make the trades you need to.
    Next year there will be much more competition as far as trading goes because of Seattle.
    Everyone will be trying to get something for a decent player they can’t protect.

If you can’t get the Nuge decent wingers then maybe look to making the hard decision, and that would be trading the Nuge and Nurse for two top end wingers. This allows you to move Dria to center and the team finally has two scoring lines. These wingers would have to be young and under control for a while.
    I think the Oiler’s could get Drouin from the Habb’s + a 2nd round pick for either Nurse or Nuge.
    If you can’t end up with 2 top wingers then you stay the coarse. I think that the Nuge has been through so much that unless the Oiler’s are a kick ass team by the time he is a free agent, I think he tests the waters, who would blame him.

I also think that Nurse will price himself out of the team, clearly he wants the huge contract and the Oiler’s would be fools to give it to him.

17. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar:

Not a great year this past year but he was hurt.Previous three years have really good traditional numbers – without digging in to it, I wouldn’t think he was zoomed by a high end defensive team.

I’ve always liked Reimer he’s a gamer I hope Holland picks him up if he’s healthy he gives you quality starts and outright steals a few along the way. I would roll the dice 50-50 with Kosh and see what happens.

18. Woogie63 says:

Buy out Sekera, trade Benning for a winger, seems crazy to me – We need 8 good dman, 6 of which have played +3300 NHL games to have a chance of winning the SC.

Lots of Lucic awful contract – get him out of town – This is part of what is in the water in Edmonton. The ROT (Run out of Town) Club. Is brutal and a thing in Edmonton (and other cities). We have two bad contracts and some overpays on three others (19, 4, 89). We want perfection but, every team has this ratio. Katz freely spending to the cap and a cap that seem to consistently move up is a huge advantage for the Oilers, .

Keep drafting great, and the coach has to find roles for the players so they contribute.

19. 36 percent body fat says:

sorry guys, even if the sneak in it will be because Connor and Dra carried the team in. Not sure they will have the gas to do the same in the playoffs. We have to admit another year of retooling thanks to Chia.

We can not afford trading future assets for quick fixes with expansion looming. Only contracts like Russel Gagner Sekera Lucic and Manning should be traded for plug and plays. Trading prospects or picks that wont need to be protected for a short term solution is not ideal considering the situation. If this team didnt trade hall, or the picks for reinhart it would be a different situation. Make the best of the year by opening up cap space, seeing where Benson, Jones, Bouchard, Persson, Bear and Gamber fit in.

Even if you slightly lost a few trades for talent but set the team up for expansion and a drastic improvement the following year is that win?

Hypotheticals,
    Russell for prospect or pick
    Benning for Brown
    Lucic maneuvering to get him out,
    Sekera out the following year
    Gagner, Manning, Brodziak, Gryba off the books the following year.
    Draft best forwards avaialbe with all picks except a third or fourth for a left D

2020-21 Now has the following
    Lots more cap space
    Plug and play decent bottom six forwards on decent contracts
    No huge over pays on contracts

Right D pushing for spot – bouchard, perssons, day, bear, with Berglund and Kemp restocking Bakersfield
    Left D pushing for a spot- Jones, Lagesson Samourakov, need to restock
    Wingers – Benson, Maksimov, yamo. with maybe mcphee to restock, (sorry heavy hockey fans Safin is done)
    Centers – Marody and McLeod, (dach/cozens). Rasanen to restock
    Goalies – lots of prospects stop wasting pick on them, if you need to draft a late euro goalie, why the heck would they trade for hawkey if they had no intention of signing him, Starret is proving that there is no reason to draft goalies, and Binnington is also proof not to give up on them out of the entry level deal. We spent 2 good draft picks on goalies, and now we have three that will be competing. That is good but unfortunately the quality of games and a lot of sitting may not be the best interest, than the oilers will give up on all of them at 23.

This year should be about patience, sorry guys, Unless he can win some big trades and not expose the future this should be the game plan.

Try to come out of the draft with Dach/Cozens, Tracy and Fagemo from the first three rounds.

Try to recover assets for Marino, Brindamour, Cairns, Neimelanen, and Safin if possible even if its just sevenths. Than draft the highest NHL player or high ranked player that is left, project third rounders are there every year.

20. slopitch says:

Happy fathers day Al! Thanks for the continual content and being a big part of my hockey fandom the last decade or so. I can only image what youd write if the oilers ever won a cup.

The oilers cap situation should be fine if they can move one of Lucic, Sekera and Russell in each of summer 2019, 2020 and 2021. Its only really a problem this summer. But making space seems important.

The q is, how important do they think it is to add an impact winger THIS summer. And if so, how do they add said player. The oilers don’t have enough valuable moveable pieces to make it happen. When u look at the RoR trade St louis made, it worked out great but almost backfired. Would u move the 2020 1st? I think i would roll the dice and include it in a package on the right player. Its more likely that draft and develop + make a few short term ufa adds is Hollands play for 2019-20. But playoff hockey would sure be nice 🙂 this team has 97. Making the playoffs shouldnt be that hard

21. Glovjuice says:

dustrock:

Happy Father’s Day to all.

It certainly is. Bowie; everything before everything.

22. Bag of Pucks says:

My Dad has passed, so today is all about golf with the Father-in-law. We’ll play a round, probably watch a bit of the Open, and maybe even play some Tiger Woods on the X-Box. The man is positively obsessed. 🙃

For this Dad, I’ll get a bbq steak, likely some sort of tool/chore masquerading as a gift, and a jam session with my two rocker sons in the music room.

Gonna be a good day tater. That line is for Ziggy (and Ron White fans).

Happy Fathers Day!

23. Bag of Pucks says:

For some reason, found myself revisiting the Taylor vs Tyler debate this morning.

Now that we have a few miles on the odometer, I wonder who Oiler fans see as the clear choice?

For me, it’s interesting how closely their actual careers have tracked to the pre draft chatter.

When he’s on, Taylor has the higher ceiling but durability has been an issue. Seguin is the more consistent producer but he’s a bit of a flake.

I still like the credo of building down the middle so the RHC seems in hindsight the better pick, especially as it would’ve setup the Oil to draft Larsson or Landeskog instead of RNH. But then Taylor goes and becomes one of my all time favourite Oilers.

Still difficult to choose between the two.

24. Mr DeBakey says:

Fun Fact
    Milan Lucic has dressed for more games than any other Oiler over the past three years.

25. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks,

Tyler for me.

26. JimmyV1965 says:

Maybe we could trade Russel for Reiner if he waives. Very similar contracts.

slopitch:

Take the forward (not Callahan) that Tampa is going to have to dump. JT Miller has no trade protection till July 1. He is the logical one. Benning is a affordable asset in an area of need for Tampa.

dustrock:

It has been longer than Five Years for the Oilers

29. Reja says:

JimmyV1965:
    Maybe we could trade Russel for Reiner if he waives. Very similar contracts.

30. jtblack says:

HAPPY FATHERS DAY ALL !!

I am blessed to have my Father still around.
    My Father in Law as well.

I am a Father to 2 healthy pre teens.

Our Fathers Day Tradition is we all meet my Dad at the Horse Races.
    We soak up some Sun, sip on a cold brew and lay down some Big Bets ($2 per race). The kids pick a horse and I bet $2 for them also. This is year 4 of our Tradition!!

Whatever you Lowetiders are up to, Have a Great Day!

31. jtblack says:

LT:

Have you ever thought of doing a Lowetide Convention?

You set a date in the Summer and we all get together and meet each other and talk hockey and ……… whatever else.

32. Jethro Tull says:

jtblack:
    LT:

Have you ever thought of doing a Lowetide Convention?

Never meet your heroes.

33. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jethro Tull: Never meet your heroes.

That’s what I was thinking, ha!

34. Bag of Pucks says:

jtblack:
    LT:

Have you ever thought of doing a Lowetide Convention?

Setup an Octagon. Charge admission…

35. Scungilli Slushy says:

Happy Father’s Day all!

I think playoffs are possible for any team. We’ve seen big turnarounds, those guys often become darlings here.

If we look at the latest champs, a long history of being a good team that couldn’t get over. This season was bizarre for them. I think the lesson to take is the importance of a disciplined coach that the players ‘will’ follow.

They won because of good decision making on players, their prospects developing to take on the tough assignments, such as Parayko freeing up Pietrangelo. They have depth, a balance of players which LT tells us out team needs.

I don’t think the Blues have any elite players, but they have a range of second tier players that are suited to playoffs. And they have O’ Reilly, long a fav of mine, the type like Bergeron that makes teams win without blowing the lights out offensively. I suppose Ryan is elite in an overall way.

After Parayko and Piet, the D is big and rangy but not stacked. It was their buy in, humility as they said, and everyone doing their job that won it for them. Seeing the Bruins stuck on the perimeter when it counted was a feat, it also made Binnington’s job easier, he might not be as good as he looked, contract alert.

To me the playoffs for the Oilers comes down to Tippet getting the OIlers to consistently play a disciplined, more patient game. One thing about having elite players is they will often try to force things because they can make things happen, but it doesn’t always work. Patience to play a safer more boring game when needed is the next step.

If Tippet can get everyone on board and Holland brings in better players I think they can play with anyone, I’m not saying Cup, yet.

36. jp says:

leeinvan:
    I think this is the year you make the trades you need to.

That should be an opportunity for the Oilers though. It sure doesn’t look like they’ll have 7 forwards they’ll be desperate to protect.

37. Pescador says:

Bag of Pucks:

Still difficult to choose between the two.

Still haven’t figured out which one is worse in the dressing room
    Both traded by PC, I hope he chokes on his pretentious scrambled eggs

38. Chris says:

Happy Fathers Day to all, especially Al. Woke up this morning with a killer back, played paintball with my sons and their friends yesterday. My youngest turns 14 this week. Great kids, great time, but feeling old this morning.

Thinking this morning about the hockey. Would the Oilers be better off doing nothing and letting the chips fall where they may, rather than trading or signing bloated contracts? There is a part of me that is pleased with Holland saying the defence is fine. Goalie? Is our guys in the A not worth a shot? Bottom 6 could be filled with those that excelled in the A last season.

Give the kids a chance, wait out contracts, replace as expired. Can’t be worse than Chia.

39. leadfarmer says:

Happy Father’s Day to LT and all the dads out there.
    Today is your day!!
    I will have a beer for you and then I’ll have another

40. Victoria Oil says:

Happy Father’s Day to LT and all the other dads.

As I’ve been traveling in Europe and commuting between the Island and NY, I saw my two teenage daughters this weekend for the first time in 5 weeks – the longest I’ve ever gone without seeing them. And in a couple months, my oldest is off to school at McGill.

Cherish every day you have with your piglets.

P.S. #GoCanadaWomen’sSoccer
    #GoBrookeHenderson

41. digger50 says:

Yesterday Dad is out fixing my sons Jeep.

Cross institute past few weeks. Chemo this week. Hair falling out. But he’s dam well going to get into the garage and get that Jeep fixed. Unbelievable, no quit, make the best of it attitude that came out of hard times.

It’s a sad but happy day.

42. flyfish1168 says:

digger50:
    Yesterday Dad is out fixing my sons Jeep.

It’s a sad but happy day.

Good story. Best of luck to you and your family

43. Pouzar says:

Frank Seravalli

Verified account

@frank_seravalli
    2m2 minutes ago
    Candidates who interviewed for #NHLDucks head coaching job have been informed they’re out. They believe Dallas Eakins is the last man standing. Formal announcement expected sometime this week. #TSN

44. Reja says:

Pouzar:
    Frank Seravalli

Verified account

@frank_seravalli2m2 minutes ago

Eakins sure must be Dynamite on the casting couch.

45. defmn says:

Reja: Eakins sure must be Dynamite on the casting couch.

I remember when it was common knowledge that Tortorella was finished as a coach in the NHL. 😉

I don’t question for one minute that Eakins made mistakes as HC in Edmonton but I won’t be surprised if it turns out differently in Anaheim.

Oh, and Happy Daddy Day to all Fathers.

Reja: Eakins sure must be Dynamite on the casting couch.

He and his wife “wooed” the owner and his wife for the last four years, allegedly. Murray was caught between chopping wood and carrying water.

But as long as Dave McNab keeps the talent pipeline full as he has since the genesis of the Ducks, whoever is running the team can’t screw up too badly.

I feel sorry for Nelson, but his is sort of good news for the Oilers.

The #dementor in Anaheim. #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach in LA.
    The OIlers will be able to enjoy the new Stars Wars pavilion at Disneyland on road trips.

godot10: He and his wife “wooed” the owner and his wife for the last four years, allegedly.Murray was caught between chopping wood and carrying water.

I feel sorry for Nelson, but his is sort of good news for the Oilers.

The #dementor in Anaheim.#ThoroughlyMediocreCoach in LA.

It was the short con with MacT.

And the long con with the Samueli’s

48. HT Joe says:

godot10: It was the short con with MacT.

And the long con with the Samueli’s

I can’t remember where, but I read an excellent interview with Eakins, and he owned up to his mistakes in Edmonton, and it sounded like the Ducks are going to get an Eakins 2.0. I bet he knocks it out of the park. (I also bet he doesn’t take away media donuts)

49. HT Joe says:

Happy Father’s Day everyone! Thank you Lowetide for everything you give us year-round!!

50. Henry says:

Happy Fathers Day everyone. Among my favourite days the past 10 years.

“When will these trades go down? It could be any time, but the deals discussed (Benning for Brown, Lucic for Eriksson) can be done later on. These aren’t blockbusters.”

I really, really hope Benning isn’t traded at all, and certainly not for Connor Brown. The Oilers have 2 right shot NHL defensemen and they need 3 or 4. As much as I like Russel (he’s a heck of a gamer) having him on the right side means he can’t be out there when McDavid is out there or even the Nuge as Russell stifles offense on the breakout. Russell is the one to trade. Plenty of coaches probably love the shot blocks and he is at an age where players start to lose a step.

Benning is still getting better, the Oilers may as well try to enjoy peak Benning then trade him during this season or next when some GM has injuries and blows up his offense for help on the right side. The offseason is the wrong time. The Oilers must do this when they are sure about Persson/Bouchard/Bear/Jones/whoever. Ehlers for Benning is a win, Brown for Benning is not under the current circumstances.

Trading Nurse is similar. He may have flaws, but he has a tough job and is getting much better each year. I can’t predict where he will top out. He is durable too, trading would be a mistake except for a clear win on the trade at the level of Hall for Larsson.

I wonder if Tippett wants Richard Panik in the fold. I don’t know much about his numbers, but skates and plays well and is a pain in the rear each of the 5-6 times I see him in a year.

51. Pescador says:

Reja: Eakins sure must be Dynamite on the casting couch.

Haha, the Ducks CEO is actually a beautiful woman
    Here’s how the interview went:

52. Jaxon says:

Matt Cane’s table has Duchene at just under $7M for 6 years. He would be a great add. I think that’s a decent price for his speed and skill and a nice compliment to McDavid and would instantly give us a great top 4 forwards of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, and Duchene. 1) Is Cane’s estimate realistic? 2) Would that be a good purchase? 3) Can the Oilers move out enough cap to fit him? 4) Will his contract be good towards the end of 6 years (I think so, with his speed)?

53. HT Joe says:

Pescador: Haha, the Ducks CEO is actually a beautiful woman
    Here’s how the interview went:

Wait, what? Michael is a lady’s name too?!

I do think fondly back to Police Academy… thanks for that!

EDIT: https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/anaheim-ducks-ceo-michael-schulman-at-his-corona-del-mar-news-photo/1032518174

Thanks… I now can’t shake the image of a reshoot of the youtube cliip you posted, replacing the actors with Michael Schulman and Dallas Eakins. Horrific.

54. OilSafety says:

Happy Father Day Al, and all the rest of you father’s out there.

Have my parents and sisters and their families coming over this afternoon for some burgers and socializing.

Going to let my dad know we’re making him a grandfather again with our 4th little one due on new years.

Got my first dad coffee cup today. Been waiting for that for 4 years 😉

My two oldest (2 &4) are napping, charging the batteries so they can run wild in the back yard when family arrives.

The little one, 7 months old and off the growth charts in every category is locked in a pitched battle with my left foot trying to get my sock off while I type this.

Mom’s napping, hitting that tired phase of the first trimester.

Wouldn’t mind some positive oiler news today but I will probably miss it, don’t plan on using this phone much today.

Enjoy the sunshine all.

55. Reja says:

I feel sorry for Nelson, but his is sort of good news for the Oilers.

The #dementor in Anaheim.#ThoroughlyMediocreCoach in LA.

Remember when McKinnon their leader and star player threw a hissy fit on the bench and how the coach had his back immediately. I have no doubt Hall would still be a Oiler if not for the terrible looking optics of the water bottle incident it should have been diffused in the presser as simple frustration on both parties. That’s where Hall is not a leader and he’s this and he’s that. Screw Eakins especially for making your just off the boat 4-6 D undeserving captain a MOLE.

56. russ99 says:

These are the kinds of creative deals we need to clear cap and add.

57. pts2pndr says:

HT Joe: I can’t remember where, but I read an excellent interview with Eakins, and he owned up to his mistakes in Edmonton, and it sounded like the Ducks are going to get an Eakins 2.0.I bet he knocks it out of the park.(I also bet he doesn’t take away media donuts)

He might make it in baseball. If his leadership and people skills had been as good as his B.S. skills he would have done Okay.

Jaxon:

59. Buddy says:

What he didn’t say was anything specific, like, I don’t know, “Boy, I sure screwed up Yakupov and Schultz, didn’t I?”

60. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Happy Fathers Day Allan. And to all the Fathers and sons in this community

– It’s a special Fathers Day at the Kinger household. Wife expecting any day (going to Dr on Monday to see). Worked on Baby room today. Future older Brother and Sister excited. Going for a monster steak dinner at best steak place in Toronto. Sitting on Deck smoking a Monte # 4 with single malt

– I see good things happening for the blog and the Oil this season.

61. Eh Team says:

russ99: If Holland retains $1-2M on Gagner’s contract and asks for a high 2nd or low 3rd from a high cap team, do thy say no?
    These are the kinds of creative deals we need to clear cap and add.

Wow are you ever the optimist. Gagner spent most of last year in the AHL and now we are getting a decent draft pick for him? Sign me up for that.

62. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10: Duchense has multiple suitors…so he is like to get a minimum of $8 million with term.

The players after the dynamic duo have to be able to support defensively or the Oilers will become a reg season force with no finish imo.

63. YKOil says:

Henry: I wonder if Tippett wants Richard Panik in the fold.I don’t know much about his numbers, but skates and plays well and is a pain in the rear each of the 5-6 times I see him in a year.

That said, I think Panik is a great Day 2 or later UFA play. Good chance, imo, he gets less than expected.

Duchene will get $8m+; will let someone else take that hit for sure. Nice early work by Pittsburgh and Washington but it is Florida that I am looking at, I have a feeling that they will generate the most churn this off-season and there will be a LOT of opportunity there.

Speaking of Florida, starting to like the idea of picking up Reimer as a post-buy-out opportunity or as a trade opportunity (Manning for Reimer makes a lot of sense).

Also, regarding Ryan O’Reilly, I liked that move by St. Louis. Solid performer year-to-year, not at all at fault for the teams performance when you dug into the numbers, tough player, hard on the puck, good defensively and signed for a long, long time.

— have said it before and will say it again, I would consider the 1st in a package for Huberdeau, that’s the O’Reilly move for the Oilers this off-season.

Still, hoping for Dach/Cozens.

Interesting idea re: Kapanen; what if part of the trade is for Benning with 50% salary retained?

Man… any big moves depend on moving Russell w/ either little to no salary coming back or the ‘wing’ problem being addressed.

64. YKOil says:

Scungilli Slushy: I’d rather have Nuge than Duchene, and that would be the choice. Duchene has more bat but no glove.

I may be wrong, as my thoughts are based solely on a ‘to-my-eye’ basis, but I see Duchene as a risky play. I don’t see him as someone who can drive play, saw-off at evens or carry a line – and I’m not paying $8m+ for that.

The key to St. Louis’s victory, which I have not really seen mentioned, is the freeing of PIeterangelo from the toughest matchups because Parayko was able to take on the shutdown role (with Bouwmeester).

Armstrong waiting too long to bail on Shattenkirk, which meant Hitchcock never had the option to free Pieterangelo from the shutdown rule to the knockout punch role.

66. Reja says:

Buddy: I’m not sure he did own up to his mistakes. He did put all the blame on himself, said he tried to change the culture too fast. Which is of course meaningless nonsense—who could have won with that roster?

Dubnyk Perron Petry Hall etc he derailed a lot of Careers. Worst coach in our history period. Poor Burnett was just in over his head like Eakins both took their hair quite seriously but George was not a sleaze ball.

67. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Happy Father’s Day all!

Happy Father’s Day Al and All!
    Watching game 7 again with our 5 yr old son also while he does his ministick thing here in “the cave”.
    I agree with much of this. However I think Binnington is the goods. Technically he Reminds me of Vasilevsky. Time will tell. D structure and commitment from the whole team helps all goalies. 👍

I hope Holly ain’t lying with his plans. I think his plan sounds reasonable to me.

68. Reja says:

YKOil: Not sure if Tippett wants Richard Panik here – they actually have no history together whatsoever as Tippet was fired June 2017 and Panik was traded for January 2018.

That said, I think Panik is a great Day 2 or later UFA play.Good chance, imo, he gets less than expected.

Duchene will get $8m+; will let someone else take that hit for sure.Nice early work by Pittsburgh and Washington but it is Florida that I am looking at, I have a feeling that they will generate the most churn this off-season and there will be a LOT of opportunity there.

Also, regarding Ryan O’Reilly, I liked that move by St. Louis.Solid performer year-to-year, not at all at fault for the teams performance when you dug into the numbers, tough player, hard on the puck, good defensively and signed for a long, long time.

Still, hoping for Dach/Cozens.

If we get to many Oiler fans that want Reimer you just know the Flames will swoop in and grab him. Huberdeau all day everyday he figured it out and turned on the beast mode just like Leon Draisaitl did last year.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

npanciroli:

Congrats, that’s awesome, hope you are having a great day.

When Tippett spoke about how he likes teams to play, as five man units, responded to the analytics question with a story about a d-man that spends 25% of the time defending vs. 75%, well, that didn’t sound like an endorsement for Kris Russell.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63:
    Buy out Sekera, trade Benning for a winger, seems crazy to me –We need 8 good dman, 6 of which have played +3300 NHL games to have a chance of winning the SC.

Lots of Lucic awful contract – get him out of town – This is part of what is in the water in Edmonton.The ROT (Run out of Town) Club.Is brutal and a thing in Edmonton (and other cities).We have two bad contracts and some overpays on three others (19, 4, 89).We want perfection but, every team has this ratio.Katz freely spending to the cap and a cap that seem to consistently move up is a huge advantage for the Oilers, .

Secondly, definitely don’t buy out good NHL players.

How can a couple of million of cap savings be used to acquire a player that is an upgrade over Sekera?

As far as finding roles for the players, the coach did profess that one of his skills is creating an environment that allows players to maximize their skills – here is hoping he can walk the walk.

71. YKOil says:

Capitals are putting on a clinic this off-season (well, starting with the Jensen trade/signing actually).

YKOil:

Tampa liked other guys better than Connolly. Boston liked other guys better than Connolly. And now Washington likes other guys better than Connolly. I sense a pattern here.

#TheNewBenoitPouliot

73. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: I just don’t see how a buyout of Sekera makes the team better. Firstly, don’t buy out NHL players that can contribute.

Secondly, definitely don’t buy out good NHL players.

Buyouts are the hockey equivalent of reverse mortgages. The winners are the player and the team that picks up a useful player on a cheap contract.

74. jake70 says:

Lucic, Russell, Koskinen, Manning and whoever else. Cap and roster gummed up like the carburator on my generator out in garage. Unless someone really wants any of them, I don’t see any shortcuts to unloading them and improving roster to any great degree. No one feels sorry for Edmonton. Time and patience, with no playoffs this season will most likely be the pain. No unforced errors Ken!

75. Alpine says:

Not sure why people think Huberdeau is attainable. How many guys get traded after a career year with multiple years left on a good contract? I know Tallon is supposed to be not very bright, but if there’s a time when veteran GMs overvalue their own players it’s definitely after they’ve had a 90 point season.

Now someone like Trocheck, who’s coming off an injury? That’s someone who might be undervalued and attainable.

76. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

Thanks OP!

Very intrigued to see what Holland does with Russell and if he is traded what his value ends up being.

77. Professor Q says:

I wonder how Koskinen feels after that Season Ticket Holder Q&A? Holland was frequently stressing that he needs to attain another goalie to share the starting job.

78. Reja says:

Professor Q:

He’s probably still doing the jiggy dance.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

Reja: Would be nice. What sober person not only gives a juicy contract but also a selected NMC to a PTO. Pete sure made some Bizarre decisions. Question just to piss me off on Fathers Day where would this team be if we had gotten Holland instead of Pete? Whatever anyone thinks of MacT he did set up Pete for a decade in my opinion.

To be factually correct, Russell wasn’t a PTO – just a late summer signing.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    LT:

Have you ever thought of doing a Lowetide Convention?

I believe The Athletic did some sort of meet and greet a while back in most of their Canadian cities.

81. Reja says:

OriginalPouzar: To be factually correct, Russell wasn’t a PTO – just a late summer signing.

82. defmn says:

Bob Stauffer
    ‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer
    11m11 minutes ago

The Dallas Eakins “experience” in Edmonton has long since passed.
    Eakins has continued to work on his craft and has coached many of Anaheim’s prospects who will be a big part of the Ducks future.
    IMO he will make the most of his 2nd NHL Head Coaching opportunity

Rob Tychkowski
    ‏Verified account @Rob_Tychkowski
    3h3 hours ago

Rob Tychkowski Retweeted The Athletic

He’s a good guy who I’m sure has learned from his experiences the first time around. I look forward to seeing what he does with a second chance.

83. leadfarmer says:

Reja: After what Dallas payed for him and looking terrible in his short stint they couldn’t get rid of him fast enough don’t think there were to many clubs interested. I should have said Gentlemen’s PTO

?????
    He played 24 min a night for them in regular season and was 4th in playoffs for TOI on the whole team ahead of Demers
    He left that team with the exodus of defensemen in the offseason to come back to Alberta
    Picking him up that offseason was a good safe bet for one season
    The problem was signing him to that contract afterwards when the NHL was moving away from these player types and giving a NTC when were negotiating with ourselves (don’t think Calgary was that interested and he really wanted to come back to Alberta)

84. Reja says:

leadfarmer: ?????
    Picking him up that offseason was a good safe bet for one season

What I remember he had a real rough playoff and the Stars wished him the best somewhere else.

85. Glovjuice says:

jtblack:
    HAPPY FATHERS DAY ALL !!

I am blessed to have my Father still around.
    My Father in Law as well.

I am a Father to 2 healthy pre teens.

Our Fathers Day Tradition is we all meet my Dad at the Horse Races.
    We soak up some Sun, sip on a cold brew and lay down some Big Bets ($2 per race). The kids pick a horse and I bet $2 for them also.This is year 4 of our Tradition!!

Whatever you Lowetiders are up to, Have a Great Day!

We have been doing this for decades. One of the best afternoon outs in Edmonton. Although, The Northlands track is a much grander space.

86. pts2pndr says:

npanciroli:
    OriginalPouzar,

Thanks OP!

The value to Edmonton is the cap space. He will be eminently valuable at the trade deadline when teams are looking for insurance D with experience. A draft choice 2nd or 3rd round should be attainable. This will also be the time that Lucic’s value will be greatest. Because of contract should be shopped to a contender for late round draft choice. Doing things this way allows the incoming coach and GM some time to better asses their team and needs moving forward.

87. Buddy says:

Professor Q:

If you have to ask the question…

Hopefully his wife isn’t due in September, the League doesn’t shorten paddle length, and Tippett doesn’t use the swarm.

88. pts2pndr says:

defmn:
    Bob Stauffer
    ‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer
    11m11 minutes ago

The Dallas Eakins “experience” in Edmonton has long since passed.
    IMO he will make the most of his 2nd NHL Head Coaching opportunity

Rob Tychkowski
    ‏Verified account @Rob_Tychkowski
    3h3 hours ago

Rob Tychkowski Retweeted The Athletic

A good man doesn’t sit a first round draft choice to make a point of whose in charge. What he did is classic first world bullying. When things go bad a good man doesn’t throw his assistants under the bus “ I didn’t know they didn’t know how to play defence.” We obviously have a a very different definition of a good man.

89. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

defmn,

– yeah I agree with your posts on this.

– head coach that failed. Did an awesome job with ahl team he deserves the opportunity

– by far that was my biggest beef with the OBC – they could fire renney Kruger Nelson coach no probs but they had no business still in hockey ops themselves.

– good for Dallas for earning an opportunity. He has way more skills than Lowe or MacT in the coaching.

90. Reja says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    defmn,

– yeah I agree with your posts on this.

Didn’t think Dallas chop water carry wood had any Groupies in this part of the world must be the hair. Fuck the Ducks and double fuck pretty boy.

91. Psyche says:

pts2pndr,

“A good man doesn’t sit a first round draft choice to make a point of whose in charge. What he did is classic first world bullying.”

I’m not sure which NHL coach you’re referring to here. Many have sat a 1st round draft choice.

Without knowing the full story, and both sides of it, I think we should hold off on the slander.

I was bullied when I was growing up. What you describe isn’t in the ballpark.

92. defmn says:

pts2pndr: A good man doesn’t sit a first round draft choice to make a point of whose in charge. What he did is classic first world bullying. When things go bad a good man doesn’t throw his assistants under the bus “ I didn’t know they didn’t know how to play defence.” We obviously have a a very different definitionofa good man.

With all due respect I haven’t noticed Tychkowski to be the kind of kind who offers personal endorsements gratuitously.

It didn’t work for Eakins or the Oilers here and he owns a lot of that. I’m not sure that requires him to be a bad person.

jmo

Yvan Cournoyer was filling the net and Toe Blake didn’t like playing him. Coaches are conservative with young unreliable players. Why? They like their jobs.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads on here, and Kinger that’s an exciting time ahead!

New for The Athletic: Ken Holland’s work week: Fixing the third and fourth lines while saving money and overhauling the penalty kill

95. Dee Dee says:

Pescador,

Pescador: PESCADOR says:
    June 16, 2019 at 11:16 am
    Bag of Pucks:

Still difficult to choose between the two.

Still haven’t figured out which one is worse in the dressing room
    Both traded by PC, I hope he chokes on his pretentious scrambled eggs

So (Hypothetically) the owner/upper management goes to the GM and declares Player X as being Cancer and to dump them immediately for whatever they can get, and the GM is now forced to wear that forever and the owner/upper management gets off scot free.

Or …. The GM is an idiot lets just blame him. Even though the entire committee signed off on the deal, and not one of them said “DON’T DO IT!!!!!”

Owner pulls rank and forces the team to draft his own personal #1 pick of say, Yakupov, let’s hang that one on the GM too.

96. Bag of Pucks says:

Dee Dee:
    Pescador,

It’s possible that Hall was dealt over lockerroom issues, but I always leaned to Occam’s Razor on that. They were desperate to get a top pairing D in Larsson and thought Lucic would suffice as partial Hall replacement. They never got the offensive upside they were projecting from Larsson and we all know how Looch crashed and burned. Year 1 it didn’t look like the worst idea ever. But it certainly hasn’t aged well particularly when Taylor’s winning the Hart while Milan was hitting the ditch.

97. YKOil says:

godot10: Tampa liked other guys better than Connolly.Boston liked other guys better than Connolly.And now Washington likes other guys better than Connolly.I sense a pattern here.

#TheNewBenoitPouliot

Not really my viewpoint. I think Connolly won’t be signed there because they only have $10m in space left and:

– Vrana to sign ($4m+)
    – four $850,000 guys (so $3.0m to $3.8m)
    – a Burakovsky QO deal (and then pay the guy they trade him for imo)
    – Backstrom and Gudas to sign next year

They won’t let Connolly move on because he sucks, they will let him go because they can’t commit both cash AND term. Washington has done a great job of getting value in talent for value in cash but they are running out of runway now; the only question now is what they do with Burakovsky.

Edit to add: myself, if the fancy stats lined up, would try to lock Vrana in for 6+ years at $5.25m a year or so; would make for a nice value contract going forward.

Professor Q:

Binnington played half a season. Rask had a reduced workload because of Halak. Last year Holtby was 1A 1B with Grubauer. Prior to that Murray and Fleury split time in PIttsburgh. In Chicago’s last Cup Darling had a lot of games during the regular season.

No goalie who has not split time in the regular season has won a cup in five years now.

Even Quick’s last Cup, I think he had a reduced regular season workload because of injury.

McLellan was about the last dinosaur running his goaltender out every game.

Eakins had no clue that Petry was his best defensemen. The game when he sat him in LA was a priceless humiliation.

He thought Will Acton was an NHL hockey player. (Which is why he had no centres).

And of course Belov’s “Not for that coach”.

Wasting away in Dementorville. Searching for my last tube of hair gel.

100. Professor Q says:

godot10,

I didn’t say otherwise. Just wondered how Koskinen felt, is all.

101. jp says:

Alpine:

102. Reja says:

Toronto is pretty hungry for a winner glad it wasn’t the Leafs. TSN propaganda machine would be running 7-24 how great the city and the people of Ontario are.

103. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) · Twitter

Further to @TSNBobMcKenzie’s report on Erik Karlsson, I’m told the deal is indeed done: 8 years max deal, north of $11 million per season… the Sharks with a huge move in keeping the superstar D from hitting the market.
    3 mins ago

104. Jaxon says:

Pouzar:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) · Twitter

3 mins ago

Yikes. 11 x 8. Elite talent, but the aging curve on an oft-injured 29 year old has to be a little concerning. This contract takes him to 37. Wow.

105. jp says:

Pouzar,

Holy crap!

106. Pouzar says:

jp,

Simon Boisvert (@simonsnake70) · Twitter

In 2024-25, the Sharks will be paying $41M to five players, all aged between 34 and 39: Kane, Couture, Karlsson, Vlasic, Burns. Even if the cap reaches $100M, that’s a big chunk for an aging core.
    23 mins ago

107. jp says:

Pouzar:
    jp,

Simon Boisvert (@simonsnake70) · Twitter

23 mins ago

Yeah, the Sharks have had great contributions from 30 something’s, but that’s not going to be pretty.

108. rickithebear says:

Russell sucks?
    A look:

Zone entry:

Binary analytics.
    X zone entries occurred when he was on the ice
    Conclusion: he is bad.

Multi variable analytics:
    1. Did the forwards run a NZ trap?
    A. Yes!
    i. He pressed the blue w/ d partner in a 2-1
    Wow Russel has real low zone entry rates.
    ii. He is stuck in a 1-1 Def structure cause of his stupid rover.
    Has to collapse to edge of HD area. The true def zone!
    Nice def move by Russell. Shitty Rover

B. No
    i. Forwards failed a NZ trap with 2-1 structure. Bad fwds.
    ii. A rover occupying fwd space causing Fwd NZ trap failure. Bad rover
    Wow Russell’s entry rates are high cause of the 4-1-1 structure.
    At least he collapsed to edge of HD area.

Corsi:
    Binary Anslytics:
    He has a high Corsi yield rate.
    He is bad.

Multi variable analytics
    1. Must exclude all corsi from Inside our blue as a result of no fwd NZ trap. Look at it separately.
    Then look at his Corsi yield per league Avg.
    A. 2-1 structure
    B. 1-1 structure – bad def disgrace rover

2. all corsi yeilded after Fwd NZ trap
    A. 2-1 structure:
    Wow partnered with a top HD d partner he establishes top 5 in the league expected Save% for the two comps he plays the most. 1st & 2nd.
    He has the lowest open shot per corsi rate for dmen in the league. Sure makes the goalies job easy!

1-1 structure:
    What a shit show!
    An uncovered side with opposition overlap allowing deep HD area penetration and high open shot%.
    Poor Russell and goalie screwed by his rover partner again.

3. GA:
    Binary analytics:
    A. The goalie had a save% above or below league average.

Multivariable:
    A. 2-1 structure
    1. Expected save% from open HD sh chart/ per corsi with no Fwd NZ trap.
    Wow he is elite with top HD dmen
    2. Expected save% from open HD sh chart per corsi with NZ trap.
    Wow he is elite with HD dmen

B. 1-1 structure
    1. Expected save % from open HD sh chart per corsi.
    His elite ability to generate open shot reduction is limited. – shitty rover.

4. Transition passing:
    Binary analytics:
    He #2 transition passing dmen

Multi variable analytics:
    A. Have def set up fwd NZ trap……………………………..

There is a very specific multi result success map once you start to ask levels of questions for each event.

This kind of questioning got us to the moon!