Planes are landing and hockey players are arriving in the land of the ice and snow. Someone will tell them about the beautiful fall we’ve enjoyed, doubt most will believe it. There’s news today on roster players and roster spots, with one player still unsigned. In the year of Covid-19, we’ll eventually receive a training camp roster but it’s all coming into view.
I’m proud to be writing for The Athletic, and pleased to be part of a great team with Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Here is our recent work.
- New Lowetide: What if Ryan Nugent-Hopkins doesn’t sign with the Oilers?
- Jonathan Willis: Left-side logjam will force the Oilers to make a choice, and perhaps a sacrifice
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s 2020 Oilers offseason report card
- Lowetide: Theodor Lennstrom is the Oilers’ latest European bet on defence
- Lowetide: Why Anton Forsberg could win the Oilers’ backup job in 2020-21
- Lowetide: The 2020-21 Oilers finally deploying elite talent in the right places
- Jonathan Willis: Team Draft vs. Team Trade: Which collection of all-time Oilers is better?
- Lowetide: Seattle Kraken expansion mock draft 5.0: Who could the Oilers lose?
- Lowetide: Oilers prospects off to impressive starts worldwide
- Lowetide: Why McDavid and Nuge together could be key to Oilers’ playoff success
- Lowetide: Projected training camp roster for the 2020-21 Oilers.
- Jonathan Willis: Will the Oilers repeat their power play magic in 2021?
- Lowetide: How many ‘peak seasons’ can Oilers fans expect from Connor McDavid?
- Lowetide: Oilers’ increased focus on drafting skill is key to future success
- Lowetide: Why Dave Tippett’s training camp with Oilers will be so compelling
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2020-21: The results
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2020-21: Goals against
- Lowetide: Oilers’ reasonable expectations for 2020-21: The Goals
- Lowetide: Oilers Top 20 prospects, post-draft edition.
The confirmations are coming in, as Bob Stauffer and Jim Matheson told Beethoven to roll over and tell Tchaikovsky the news. I’ve also moved Ethan Bear to ‘uncertain’ as we’re within a month of the season and there’s no signed contract. It doesn’t mean anything, I full expect him to sign, but things are happening and one of them isn’t budging.
CERTAIN OILERS (17)
Barring injuries or opt-outs, I expect these names to make the team. Three scoring lines is something you can ponder with this group. Defensively, signing Bear gets them set for three pairings and we’ll see who wins the No. 7 defense job.
UNCERTAIN OILERS (13)
From this group, Ethan Bear is a signature away from being a sure thing. Chiasson, Nygard, Khaira and Haas all have excellent chances, and one of Lagesson, Lennstrom or Bouchard probably wins the No. 7 defense job. Two players who may have a larger impact than expected from this list: Anton Forsberg and Alan Quine.
DISTANT BELLS (9)
Ryan McLeod is the name I pick out of this crowd, with Patrick Russell, Joe Gambardella and Adam Cracknell also in photo.
I have 39 men listed, and last I heard the NHL was thinking about 26 roster spots and four men for the taxi squad. I don’t think the Oilers will have cap room for 26 men, but if the taxi squad doesn’t count toward the cap, Ken Holland might be able to run 20 roster players and four extras. If the roster total is 24 (20+4), expect Forsberg, Bear, Nygard, Khaira, Haas and Archibald to land on the final roster. Plus one of Lagesson, Bouchard and Lennstrom as the extra defenseman. You can run with seven blue if the AHL is going to start a month after the NHL season starts, but if there is no AHL and the recalls must come from Wichita, expect Edmonton to keep eight or nine blue.
27-MAN ROSTER (PROJECTED)
- Goalies (3): Mikko Koskinen, Mike Smith, Anton Forsberg
- Left Defense (5): Darnell Nurse, Caleb Jones, Kris Russell, William Lagesson, Theodore Lennstrom
- Right Defense (4): Ethan Bear*, Adam Larsson, Tyson Barrie, Evan Bouchard
- Center (5): Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Kyle Turris, Gaetan Haas, Jujhar Khaira
- Left Wing (5): Dominik Kahun, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Ennis, James Neal, Joakim Nygard
- Right Wing (5): Zack Kassian, Kailer Yamamoto, Jesse Puljujarvi, Josh Archibald, Alex Chiasson
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A great show today, because of the guests! We begin at 10 this morning, TSN1260. Jon Abbott from TSN 1040 in Vancouver joins us to talk World Juniors at 10:20. Later in the hour, Chas Wheatley, who is a local pitcher who has committed to Div. 1 baseball Iowa Hawkeyes, will tell us about how he got recruited by a Div. 1 baseball program. At 11, Frank Seravalli will give us the latest on NHL return to play and she some light on what must be a crazy free-agency situation. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!