Ken Holland pulled the trigger on another free agent acquisition Saturday, bringing in Slater Koekkoek to add more depth and balance to the blue. Holland’s aggressive procurement (Tyson Barrie, Dominik Kahun, Kyle Turris, Tyler Ennis, Koekkoek and the re-signing of Jesse Puljujarvi) gives the roster that new car feel. Oilers fans can’t wait for the first test drive, now just two weeks away.
I’m proud to be writing for The Athletic, and pleased to be part of a great team with Daniel Nugent-Bowman and Jonathan Willis. Here is our recent work.
- New Lowetide: Oilers’ signing of Slater Koekkoek could be about more than depth
- Lowetide: Why fans should expect an Oilers playoff berth in Canadian division
- Jonathan Willis: Dave Tippett has more options now thanks to versatile Oilers forwards
- Lowetide: 7 big questions facing the Oilers heading into next season
- Lowetide: Danger, heartbreak ahead for Oilers, Ethan Bear in contract situation
- Lowetide: Tyler Tullio is the latest Oilers draft pick to make an impression
- Lowetide: What if Ryan Nugent-Hopkins doesn’t sign with the Oilers?
- Jonathan Willis: Left-side logjam will force the Oilers to make a choice, and perhaps a sacrifice
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s 2020 Oilers offseason report card
- Lowetide: Theodor Lennstrom is the Oilers’ latest European bet on defence
- Lowetide: Why Anton Forsberg could win the Oilers’ backup job in 2020-21
- Lowetide: The 2020-21 Oilers finally deploying elite talent in the right places
- Jonathan Willis: Team Draft vs. Team Trade: Which collection of all-time Oilers is better?
- Lowetide: Seattle Kraken expansion mock draft 5.0: Who could the Oilers lose?
- Lowetide: Why McDavid and Nuge together could be key to Oilers’ playoff success
- Lowetide: Projected training camp roster for the 2020-21 Oilers.
- Jonathan Willis: Will the Oilers repeat their power play magic in 2021?
- Lowetide: How many ‘peak seasons’ can Oilers fans expect from Connor McDavid?
- Lowetide: Oilers Top 20 prospects, post-draft edition.
OILERS 50-MAN ROSTER (48)
Oilers are at 46, but Ethan Bear has to be signed and Philip Broberg will slide (or not) in the fall. I would not be at all surprised to see a forward dealt in the coming days, be it Alex Chiasson, Jujhar Khaira or other.
I’d say the Oilers are a solid backup goalie away from that balance photo.
Philip Broberg had a huge game, 0-3-3 and looked dominant against the Czechs. Over seven minutes in each of the first two periods and then they backed him off for the third (17:57). He had three shots on goal and was dangerous all afternoon. Fantastic skater.
Dylan Holloway picked up an assist in the Canadian blowout of the Germans. Won three of six on the dot, two shots, a couple of good looks. Played 15:55 which led Canadian forwards in time on ice.
A moment to talk about overreacting to a single game. Broberg looked so good there’s a part of every Oilers fan wondering if Ken Holland changed his mind yesterday and will bring Broberg to camp. No. As we talked about yesterday, Broberg is establishing himself as a feature player (top-4 defense) in the world’s third best league (SHL). That’s a mountain for a teenager. Broberg is not NHL ready. What yesterday showcased is what he could be when he’s established in the NHL. It’s a very compelling future.