Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! I hope your home is warm and filled with family and good cheer today. As I write this, it’s just past 6am, Dad is up before anyone because he was coughing (just a tickle but it won’t go away) and didn’t want to wake everyone up. I’ll catch up on my sleep today. Believe me.

We had a different Christmas eve, my daughter is working retail (and loving it!) so didn’t get home until a little later. Mrs. Lowetide has strict rules about when we can start Christmas Eve and she’s a stickler for 100 percent attendance. Bottom line: I didn’t get a chance to crack my first beer until after 7pm. I mean, the world has bigger problems but OH the humanity!

Let’s see. Ziggy is fine, she’s my pal but Mrs. Lowetide’s dog. Yesterday morning I was making a fuss over her (“you are such a good dog!”) and scratching behind her ears (she loves that) when Mom opened the bathroom door and the dog bolted to her double time. Man. You do and you do and you do for these doggos and this is the thanks you get! I kid of course, Ziggy is a wonderful companion. If you are looking for a sparky dog who will warn you about rabbits and leaves and give hell to your neighbour John for absolutely no reason, get a Shih Tzu Pom. Not a great listener, but a steady talker. Definitely belongs in this family.

Mrs. Lowetide is fine, she yells at the television a lot these days. Maybe next Christmas the world will be a better one. She used to run but broke her foot five years ago, and has taken up walking. This year she bought one of those step counter dealies and is driving me crazy. Apparently I’m motionless and my step counts are a tragedy. Hey, I used to walk to get the paper every morning! Not my fault Al Gore invented the internet. Anyway, she’s great, definitely could have married better but I’m glad she didn’t.

The kids are great, this year has seen both of them get a sense of direction about where they are going. Not sure they’ll land in the spot they’re aiming for but they are both on a journey and have found their passion. I always knew what I wanted to do, so it was difficult for me to watch both sample and then move on. I pushed a little, not much but some. Mrs. Lowetide says it’s not my life to live, but the dog says she agrees with me. I think.

Be well, be happy, visit, hug, eat too much and stay up too late. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Merry Christmas!

78 Responses to "Merry Christmas!"

1. HT Joe says:

Merry Christmas Lowetide. Thanks for everything you do for this community.

Santa was good to the kids last night, and they excitedly woke my wife and me just before 6am. I hope to catch up on my sleep later today as well. 😉

Warm wishes to you and yours!

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Merry Christmas LT.

Glad the family is well.

Merry Christmas everyone.

3. Brantford Boy says:

Merry Christmas LT and to all the great Oiler fans that frequent this awesome place on the Al Gore…

I walked from the bed to the couch today, might need to get up to put a splash of Bailey’s in this coffee.

Cheers all!

4. meanashell11 says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

5. Harpers Hair says:

Merry Christmas to all from Vancouver Island.

The weather is warm, coffee is hot, the Baileys is delicious and Vivaldi as a sound track is a tradition.

Wising you all happiness and peace.

6. hungoverman says:

Merry Christmas LT to you and your family. And best wishes to everyone who stops in here.

7. flyfish1168 says:

All the best to you LT and your family and everyone on this site. Cheers Everyone

8. jp says:

Merry Christmas LT. Sincere thanks for this place.

All the best to you and the rest of this community in the coming year!

9. Jethro Tull says:

Happy Holidays, all!

10. Clarkenstein says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Alan.

11. SkatinginSand says:

Merry Christmas , LT, thank you for all that you do. Treasure these times with your children, it is all too soon that they are off on their own life adventures. Won’t get to see grandkids until tomorrow, when son-in-law gets off shift (firefighter) and they drive up.

12. Dicky94 says:

Merry Christmas everyone! Except for the person who invented LOL DOLLS! You ruined two hours of my morning.

13. geowal says:

Merry Christmas LT and all the others here!

Munny: I’ll keep an eye out. I’ve seen a couple Oiler jerseys downtown Prague but no Flames yet, maybe they will show themselves, lol.

14. greenshifter says:

Merry Christmas LT and family!

Safe and happy holidays everyone!

15. Darryl8843 says:

Always a privilege to read your thoughts. You sum it up all do eloquently. Merry Christmas to you and your family and especially the ruler of the house Ziggy.

16. Jordan says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

17. barry.moore23 says:

Happy Xmas guys and gals. Always love Ziggy’s special day. He makes a great cover pic !

18. Scungilli Slushy says:

Merry Christmas one and all.

May Joy and Peace be yours.

19. Gerta Rauss says:

Merry Christmas LT to you and your family

Early start today as I had to work, hope to be outta here by 1pm. Such is life when you work in the ski industry

Merry Christmas all

20. Professor Q says:

Merry Christmas!

21. Genjutsu says:

Merry Christmas everyone

22. G Money says:

Merry Christmas, all!

(unless your bag, like mine, is more about the holidays, in which case Happy Holidays to ya!)

23. Full Clapper Top Cheddar says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family LT! Thanks for all that you do! Visiting this site is seriously one of the best parts of my day every day. And Merry Christmas to everybody else who visits! Hope you all have a great day with your family and friends!

24. unca miltie says:

Merry Christmas to all posters and a thank you to LT for keeping this site relatively sane during the year. Just the dogs and my wife till afternoon when the 11 grandkids and their parents arrive. Enjoying the quiet but love the craziness of the afternoon. We are blessed that most of our family lives close by and the one that lives in China came home for Christmas.

25. slopitch says:

Merry Christmas all! Thanks Lowetide for 12(+?) years of oilers daily content. Cheers to a prosperous 2020 and solid decision making from oilers management. Some support for 97 too!

26. Professor Q says:

Have you ever referred to Ziggy as Ziggy Pawdust?

Has it ever satisfyingly annoyed or elated Mrs. Lowetide, if so?

27. blainer says:

Merry Christmas LT and to all of the wonderful posters here and this even includes HH/DSF !!

28. Silver Streak says:

Merry Christmas everyone…peace to all. LT you make my mornings…first with this excellent blog, then with the radio thing….I am seriously addicted to both..even on vacations near and far I seek out what time that show would be on…much to the chagrin of my wife who would rather be in the surf.
    Be safe and stay well to all especially those travelling our roads and biways…..Go Oilers !

29. ripper the stripper says:

Merry Christmas LT. Fantastic year of reading. Peace and Best Wishes to all the readers on this site. Fantastic community.

30. tileguy says:

Blind Boys of Alabama is my Xmas music today, Go tell it to the Mountain.

31. tcho says:

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays to you too LT, and to all the Lowetidians!

32. Ryan says:

Happy Yuletide Lowetide!

Happy Holidays everyone.

33. norm_klassen says:

Merry xmas hopefully the Oilers got a well deserved break

34. Todd Macallan says:

Merry Xmas to LT and this great community, or in the words of Todd 2.0:

Site is abject competence.
    Never fire LT.

35. Admiral Ackbar says:

My wife could have married better as well LT! Bless these women with questionable vision!

I hope you’re all with those who mean the world to you. I’m enjoying our first Christmas with our daughter (6 months a week ago). We just returned home to Victoria after a few months of studying in Nice, France.

I’m grateful for my family, my country, my friends, and this bloody blog. I don’t know how I could be an Oiler fan without this community. Merry Christmas to you all, even HH.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner was called back up to the Condors – not a great sign for Starrett. Really too bad – terrible timing for Starrett to have injury issues – there was a path for him.

37. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Professor Q:
    Have you ever referred to Ziggy as Ziggy Pawdust?

Has it ever satisfyingly annoyed or elated Mrs. Lowetide, if so?

You mean Woodguy’s dog?

38. frjohnk says:

Merry Christmas and/ or Happy Holidays to all here.

A very Merry Christmas
    And a happy new year
    Let’s hope it’s a good one
    Without any fear

John Lennon knew not Oilers fans.

40. jtblack says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS fellow Lowetiders!

May 2020 come with Good Health and an Oilers playoff race!!

LT, your sincerety shines through in your annual Christmas Post. A humble Family man. Blessings to you and your family.

41. Twinkle Mo' Fo' Toes says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS LT & fellow Lowetiders from London.

Me and the wife (we got hitched a few weeks ago) are spending our honeymoon exploring London, Edinburgh and Paris over the next 2 weeks. Not bar/pub people, but if anyone has any food (non-spicy) or attraction suggestions, I am all ears.

Cheers!

42. teddyturnbuckle says:

Merry Christmas to Ziggy and everyone! Thanks Al for all the hard work you put into the site. God bless Oiler fans we need it!

43. teddyturnbuckle says:

I started reading this site a wandering single man and now have 3 kids.

44. dolenator says:

Merry christmas lowtide and fellow followers

45. Bag of Pucks says:

Merry Christmas all.

I hope everyone has a great holiday with family and friends.

46. Munny says:

Merry Christmas you bastards.

And Hannukah Sameach to Sheps and all the rest of the Red Sea Pedestrians lurking hereabouts.

I was really worried this year. I thought the blog was going to split in half… and like a cracked Christmas walnut, it would be impossible to be make it whole again.

LT made the right call by banning political talk… and saved us all.

Not that such things shouldn’t be discussed somewhere sometimes. But if things can grow to division and hate, even here where there’s a culture of respect and rational discourse, imagine how Effed we are in the real world.

We as humans need to be better… not in our politics or our policy choices… but in how we discuss such things in the forums where such discussion is appropriate. Polite discourse.

That’s my Xmas Wish this year. (I’ll save Lord Stan for next year).

Have a Happy and Healthy Holidays one and all. Love you guys.

47. Victoria Oil says:

Mariusz Czerkawski to all Lowetidians.

I am grateful for LT for creating this great community. I’m also grateful to be back in the Great White North even though there is no snow on the Island.

#Go Oilers

48. Munny says:

And Happy Festivus for the rest of ya!

May your poles be well-polished this season.

49. Craig Zonit says:

Merry Christmas to all, and godspeed you Oilers.

50. Victoria Oil says:

Munny:
    And Happy Festivus for the rest of ya!

May your poles be well-polished this season.

Be kind to one another during the airing of grievances.

51. theboyfromsouthdetroit says:

The better half gifted me with a bottle of Shelter Point, for which I think she owes a stick tap to either Sheps or HH or both. Just one more reason to love this place. Merry Christmas (/etc) to all on my favourite blog, especially our host!

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

Best wishes to Lowetide and to all who hang out here.

I still think it was kicked in.

53. Harpers Hair says:

theboyfromsouthdetroit:

Enjoy!
    Looking forward to your review.

54. Harpers Hair says:

Victoria Oil:
    Mariusz Czerkawski to all Lowetidians.

I am grateful for LT for creating this great community.I’m also grateful to be back in the Great White North even though there is no snow on the Island.

#Go Oilers

55. Andy Dufresne says:

Merry Christmas to all Lowetidians.

Those enjoying Christmas at home with Family and those in far away lands.

My best wishes to all those afflicted with ailments, whether of the spirit or of the body. May God deliver to you health, love, happiness, and a metaphoric rock hammer (that you might escape what ever is afflicting you)

Little known fact:

The visual joke of Andy’s rock hammer being tucked into the Bible right after the first page of the Book of Exodus came from the film’s prop master Tom Shaw.

The Book of Exodus…..get it 🙂

Best Wishes from my Family to Yours.

56. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Merry Christmas to Lowetide and everyone here. This place truly is the best neighbourhood pub going, sláinte!

57. Pescador says:

Harpers Hair: I can see snow on Mount Arrowsmith from my backyard…and am happy if it stays there.

I always wondered what the view was like from Mt. Crumpet
    Haha,
    Merry Christmas Harpers!

58. Little Johnny Frostbite says:

Merry Christmas all! Hope everyone is stuffed, a little drunk, and happy with family!

59. Reja says:

Merry Christmas to all except Flames fans. Thanks Mr. Lowetide for having the best uncover therapeutic site on the net.

60. BONE207 says:

Lowetide Bar & Grille…
    A favorite hangout since April 26th, 2015. Sure there are some who piss on the rug & others who yell: fire Holland. An eclectic group who could probably save the world with LT at the helm. The talk of liquor & food, math & hockey keep me interested but the stories & our interactions keep me amused. Hopefully the hockey team aspect catches up to unite us all except for maybe…

Merry Christmas all & especially you Allan.

61. Harpers Hair says:

“All I’ve ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya”

Is there a better lyric in any song ever?

Harpers Hair:
    “All I’ve ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya”

Is there a better lyric in any song ever?

Well I’ve heard there was a secret chord
    That David played and it pleased the Lord
    But you don’t really care for music, do you?
    Well it goes like this:
    The fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah

63. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: The beginning of that song is perfect. It’s somber but the melody delights, and the lyrics call out amazing images:

Well I’ve heard there was a secret chord
    That David played and it pleased the Lord
    But you don’t really care for music, do you?
    Well it goes like this:
    The fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Have been listening to numerous versions over the past couple of hours.

An absolute classic.

Harpers Hair: Have been listening to numerous versions over the past couple of hours.

An absolute classic.

I am partial to the Jeff Buckley version but they are all fabulous.

65. Harpers Hair says:

Lowetide: I am partial to the Jeff Buckley version but they are all fabulous.

I’d go with Rufus Wainwright…but it’s close.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

11am tomorrow – excited!

First time in 5 years I’m in the hemisphere for the beginning of the tournament.

Sweden game is at the same time which is unfortunate – I assume TSN will be showing that game on one of their channels mind you.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, Sweden/Finland to be shown on TSN3.

68. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: I am partial to the Jeff Buckley version but they are all fabulous.

The story of it is very intriguing (you spurred me to research it). Cohen wrote it, was told by Sony that it and Various Positions would not sell, was fine with that I think?

Didn’t garner much attention except from Bob Dylan, who loved it and covered it live. I’m not sure if he has a recorded version somewhere? That’d have been interesting to have heard.

Then, John Cale’s version, 7 years after release. Attention started forming.

Then, Jeff Buckley, the son of Cohen’s friend, Tim Buckley, had his version in 1994. I hadn’t heard of it before, nor have I heard any Buckley song before, but I instantly got why it was iconic and sprouted the popularity. Almost Super Saiyan Platinum?!

Cohen himself seemed to be really touched by the versions of Buckley and k. d. lang, and seemed to have really enjoyed when lang had sung it with Tim Buckley and himself present (was it at the Hall of Fame induction of Jeff?). I might have misunderstood what Cohen said in the interview though because Tim had died in 1975…

I have absolutely no idea who was present with him, then. He was talking about being good friends with Jeff’s dad then went to the k. d. lang version, so I’ll have to rewatch.

EDIT: Ha! It was an odd and quick pinwheel transition so it made it confusing. He was saying that HE (he said “I”) was in the room for k. d. lang’s performance at the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, and was touched. But it transitioned so quickly from him talking about Tim Buckley, and “I” was cut off in a way that made it sound like “he”.

Thank you for the Christmas research project, and thank you for the wonderful community here. Cheers for a great time of joy and celebration, and Oilers success.

69. Jaxon says:

Merry Christmas LT and all of the posters on here.

70. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Professor Q: I don’t really know much about the song, as a young one, though yes it was sad when Cohen passed.

Then, John Cale’s version, 7 years after release. Attention started forming.

Cohen didn’t know it at the time, but that song was written for Jeff to sing and Jeff was born to sing that song. Two incredible talents, combining to create a masterpiece.

71. Harpers Hair says:

Ryan:
    Professor Q,

There’s this: https://youtu.be/cuLmf7DMPPo

Nice find!

72. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Love the Christmas font. You chose a stunning font for Remembrance Day as well. Makes it special

– 10 years ago I was celebrating my first Christmas with with my first son. Now he doesn’t believe in Santa but his baby brother who is 6 months old he’s helping him learn the traditions he loves so much. Such a nice thing to see.

– Keep doing what you are doing LT: I appreciate this place a lot.

73. Gerta Rauss says:

I like the Rufus version but I think this one is my favorite

74. Harpers Hair says:

Gerta Rauss:
    I like the Rufus version but I think this oneis my favorite

Wow!!!

That is absolutely fabulous.

Thanks so much.

75. London Jon says:

Twinkle Mo’ Fo’ Toes:
    MERRY CHRISTMAS LT & fellow Lowetiders from London.

Me and the wife (we got hitched a few weeks ago) are spending our honeymoon exploring London, Edinburgh and Paris over the next 2 weeks.Not bar/pub people, but if anyone has any food (non-spicy) or attraction suggestions, I am all ears.

Cheers!

I have plenty – what kind of food to you like and where in London are you staying?

New for The Athletic: Oilers’ fleet centre prospect Ryan McLeod finding the range with the Bakersfield Condors

77. Twinkle Mo' Fo' Toes says:

London Jon,

Thanks London Jon!

In Edinburgh for a few days and then onto Paris for a few & then back to London from 3-6 Jan. We are staying in St. James/Westminster.

Unfortunately we can’t handle spicy, but we are open to everything else…