Reasonable Doubt

Growing up Jehovah’s Witness had some downbeat but there are positives from being raised on the outskirts of society. I’m probably more open to ideas that are unpopular or less traveled, while also being prone to wild goose chases (thus my many disagreements over the years with posters Logic and Reason).

For instance, I’m not sure trading Jesse Puljujarvi next summer is a good idea. If a team offers 100 cents on the dollar, fine. However, chances are the return will be disappointing and there’s every chance JP will have success in his new city. If I’m Holland, I at least think about letting the summer pass, go through the draft with the situation unsettled.

Maybe some of JP’s Oilers teammates can spend some time with him, convince him he’s needed. Puljujarvi isn’t evil, in fact he appears to be a good citizen. So, whatever the problem, I’d spend 2020 trying to solve it. There’s no good ending to trading JP for a second round pick or a mid-level prospect. No to Julien Gauthier, no to Lias Andersson.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here.

• New Lowetide: Oilers’ fleet centre prospect Ryan McLeod finding the range with the Bakersfield Condors
  • Jonathan Willis: Leon Draisaitl is struggling badly, even as the Oilers’ depth forwards seem to be coming around
  • Lowetide: Should the Oilers pursue Lias Andersson in trade?
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanBroken toes, holiday-time hospital visits and memories of home: A week in the life of Oscar Klefbom, the Oilers’ do-everything defenceman
  • Daniel Nugent-BowmanGrasping Mike Smith, Leon Draisaitl and the Oilers’ recent plight by reading between the lines
  • Lowetide: As Oilers’ auditions of fringe forwards nears conclusion, it’s time for Condors’ top prospects to force the issue
  • Lowetide: The key missing element to the Oilers’ brilliant top line
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘We called him ‘The Crane”: Teammates and coaches reveal their best Connor McDavid stories
  • Jonathan Willis: Should the Oilers have outbid the Coyotes for Taylor Hall?
  • Lowetide: Connor McDavid’s frustration and the impact it could have on the Edmonton Oilers
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers need to figure out five-on-five woes quickly, starting with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl
  • Lowetide: Who should be the next man up from the Bakersfield Condors?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: 10 subscriber questions for Oilers rookie defenceman Ethan Bear
  • Lowetide: Five loud noises Ken Holland could make to help the Oilers immediately
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects list, winter 2019
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 5 prospect, Winter 2019 — Raphael Lavoie
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 4 prospect winter 2019: Tyler Benson
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 prospect winter 2019: Ethan Bear
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 2 prospect winter 2019: Philip Broberg
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 1 prospect winter 2019: Evan Bouchard

CURRENT NHLE’S

Older players are [] and I have ranked each position with the highest to lowest NHLE. So, although Tomas Jurco ranks ahead of Tyler Benson NHLE, we can assume based on age (Jurco will be 27 on Saturday, Benson is 21) that Benson will have the better career.

I believe the most talented forwards are Benson, Lavoie, Yamamoto, McLeod, Marody, Maksimov. I like Rasanen, but his scouting report suggested a two-way center and at 21 these impressive college numbers can’t be trusted as true north.

I think Puljujarvi might be better than all of them. That’s why I don’t trade him.

BAKERSFIELD RE

Back in August, I made some predictions about Condors players and what a reasonable season might look like. Here’s the August verbal and an update:

Shane Starrett. He was a major part of the Condors success last season, it’s reasonable to expect him to build on that and (at some point) make his NHL debut. Update: Injuries have derailed his season. Absolutely terrible timing, and the Condors are having a terrible season partly because Starrett’s backups haven’t been close to good enough.

Evan Bouchard scored eight points in eight AHL playoff games, but didn’t play big minutes. Reasonable should be top 4D minutes in Bakersfield, a feature role on the power play and a point-per-game during the regular season. I also think NHL time is a reasonable expectation. Update: The first half of this season (27, 3-12-15) has been disappointing, although he is among the leading scorers among rookie blue in the AHL. Bouchard’s overall game looks to be shy of NHL-ready but a player with his pedigree could figure it out in a hurry.

Dmitri Samorukov had a breakout season in the OHL, so finding reasonable is difficult. I’m going to say that establishing himself as a solid AHL regular, with a positive even-strength goal differential, is reasonable. Update: Samorukov has covered the bet already, showing himself to be a capable regular in the minors. He is plus-minus zero, that’s a fabulous number on a team that is minus 19 on the year.

William Lagesson had an outstanding AHL debut season, so I’ll suggest an even better goal differential at even strength than he delivered a year ago. Plus NHL time. Update: He got an NHL recall but no games, and has been a strong player for the Condors when he’s in the lineup. Just waiting for the call, he’s bona fide.

Cooper Marody rocked the casbah in year one, I think reasonable expectations should include 25+ NHL games and over a point-per-game in the AHL. Update: It has been a miserable season so far, with Marody’s numbers (23, 5-9-14) a mere shadow of his rookie campaign. He is 2-5-7 in his last eight games, so that’s progress.

Tyler Benson should increase his point total and demonstrably improve his goal total in Bakersfield. I’ll say 25 AHL goals over an entire season, and 25 NHL games, too. Update: He’s on pace for 18 goals and leads the Condors with 21 points in 27 games. Most encouraging, Benson’s points have come with multiple linemates, meaning his reliance on Marody to create offense a year ago no longer applies. Quality first half.

Kailer Yamamoto might be the most interesting player in this group. He scored 10 goals in 27 games a year ago, I think 25 goals based on a 68-game season in reasonable. No NHL games expected, if he earns them that’s a positive arrow. Update: Yamamoto’s scouting reports are fire, he’s been a buzzsaw and draws penalties on the regular (sources Wilde and Original Pouzar). His seven goals in 22 games projects to 21.6 goals over 68 games. He’s close, in my opinion Yamamoto and Benson are both NHL-ready.

Ryan McLeod has terrific speed and two-way acumen, so his emerging as an AHL regular is reasonable. Offensively, 25+ points over 68 games seems reasonable (assuming he gets a regular shift). Update: McLeod has 3-8-11 in 27 games, that’s a little ahead of the pace I suggested would be reasonable. Solid start. Wrote about him here.

Kirill Maksimov is a terrific goal-scorer and Jay Woodcroft’s ability to unlock rookies was a key to Benson, Marody and their seasons. He’s a scorer, but overestimating goal scorers is the easiest mistake in reasonable expectations. I’ll say 20 goals in 68 games for Maksimov. Update: He has scored 2-6-8 in 24 games, that projects to six goals over a 68-game schedule. He is 1-2-3 in his last two games. Playing time in feature roles has been an issue but I think he’s going to have a big second half.

110 Responses to "Reasonable Doubt"

1. HugThePost says:

Seems like a reasonable thought to let it ride for 2020, but what evidence do we have that any of the Oiler players were actually close to JP? By all accounts he was kind of an outsider.

2. dustrock says:

Ice to see Blumel scoring for Czech in game 1.

3. Bling says:

Look at Joel Armia for how long it can take for big men to establish themselves. JP is a better scorer. He will be an NHLer. Maybe not a game breaker, but you need 20-20 guys on your roster as well.

I’m less optimistic that Benson and Yamamoto are ready now.

Their scoring totals are good but not great for second year professional players. I could see them pushing the needle with a bonafide 2nd line C, but are they going to thrive with an injured and struggling Nuge, or a tired Drai? I’m not so sure.

Both guys may need a full year in the A.

4. Woodguy v2.0 says:

If we use xGF% as our guide for optimal Oiler lines with the current roster we see this:

Note: Sorry to put the Centers on the left. I’m not pandering to LT’s proclivity to do this, it just happened.

Center – Left Wing – Right Wing
    McDavid-Draisaitl-Kassian -47.6%
    Nuge – Neal – Chiasson – 61.3%
    Sheahan – Nygaard – Archibald – 52.7%
    Haas – Khaira – Gagner – 81.5%

McDavid’s line still has 54.9% GF

Their shitty xGF% is due to Draisaitl’s amazingly shitty December. Before December that line was 51.8% xGF and 61.0% GF and I expect them back up close to that level now with a rested and (hopefully) refocused Drai, as well as a less compressed schedule coming up until the end of January.

TOI together:
    McDavid-Draisaitl-Kassian -429min
    Nuge – Neal – Chiasson – 121min
    Sheahan – Nygaard – Archibald – 49min
    Haas – Khaira – Gagner – 9min

Nuge’s line is starting to get some history buttressing their results

Their CF% is 57.5% and GF% is 55.6% so they are full value for their results. Doesn’t match the eye test but there are no pictures on the scorecard.

Nygaard with Sheahan is new but its looking like the coach will stick with it.

Haas’s line has one game together where they killed it. Haas and Khaira have another game together are above 50% results.

I’d bring up Benson and work him into the Haas line. Once I was comfortable with his play vs those NHLers’ I’d move him up as needed.

For those who say “Benson needs a top 6 role, don’t bring him up to play the 4th line” I submit to you that most NHLers who aren’t “sure fire stars” or in bad orgs (like EDM) start their NHL career in the bottom six. Its always been the right thing to do.

The AHL prepares players for bottom 6 NHL roles.

Bottom 6 NHL roles prepares players for top 6 NHL roles.

I wrote about Benson recently here: http://becauseoilers.blogspot.com/2019/09/projecting-tyler-bensons-1920-season.html

If you dig into the body of the piece you’ll see that I found that players’ with 20 year old seasons comparable to Benson’s start in the NHL in the bottom 6.

This includes such players as:

Tyfolli
    JT Miller
    Anisimov
    Zucker
    M.Grandlund
    Kadri
    Krejci

Don’t let your experience being an Oiler fan colour this issue.

Most NHL top 6 forwards who come from outside the first round graduate to the NHL as bottom 6ers and work their way up.

Its been that way for as long as I’ve been watching hockey and good teams break kids in slowly.

Sure there are outliers, there always are, but they’re called outliers for a reason.

There are also bad teams who put young players in positions to get their heads kicked in by the best hockey players in the world. They are bad teams for a reason, this one being among them.

5. Woodguy v2.0 says:

dustrock:
    Ice to see Blumel scoring for Czech in game 1.

He’s built like a tank.

I like that quality in a player.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

Bling: are they going to thrive with an injured and struggling Nuge

I ran Nuge’s numbers pre-injury versus what’s been goin’ on since he returned against Buffalo.
    All scoring is down, down, down.
    Fenwicks & Scoring Chances too, though not as sharply.

HugThePost:
    Seems like a reasonable thought to let it ride for 2020, but what evidence do we have that any of the Oiler players were actually close to JP?By all accounts he was kind of an outsider.

8. SwedishPoster says:

Woodguy v2.0: He’s built like a tank.

I like that quality in a player.

First real viewing for me. I like him. You can tell he’s been playing in a men’s league, tactically well-versed and protects the puck well. Not high end skill but can handle the puck and I liked his shot against the grain on the goal. Longshot prospect obviously but there’s certainly things to like.

Must say I really like Jan Mysak, oozing quality, sailing up as one of my favourite prospects for 2020.

9. leadfarmer says:

Dont trade JP. If he absolutely refuses to come back use him just give him to Seattle at the expansion draft.
    If Lias Andersson intrigues you use a draft pick. Looks more of a suspect than a prospect at this point

10. Woodguy v2.0 says:

SwedishPoster,

Thanks for the tip SP.

11. dessert1111 says:

Now that it’s after Christmas, Holland can bring up any of the young guys while remaining true to his verbal at the start of the year.

I’d argue that none of them are blowing the doors off though and if we are trying to make a push this season a trade is a better bet.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing if Currie or Gambardella, as tweener types, can move the needle more than Russell, who I think has been a solid role player but appears unlikely to be more than a placeholder on the current roster or more than an injury fill in on a good team.

12. dessert1111 says:

Woodguy v2.0:

Note: Sorry to put the Centers on the left.I’m not pandering to LT’s proclivity to do this, it just happened.

Center – Left Wing – Right Wing
    McDavid-Draisaitl-Kassian -47.6%
    Nuge – Neal – Chiasson – 61.3%
    Sheahan – Nygaard – Archibald – 52.7%
    Haas – Khaira – Gagner – 81.5%

This is about what I would have advocated for without seeing the numbers – a good sign that my eyes and these numbers are aligned.

That said, maybe it’s partly just due to these players’ reputations, but even our ideal lineup looks mighty weak – 2 fourth lines and a line with a historically good 2C and two guys I would describe as streaky EV scorers if I’m being kind.

I’m undecided if it’s better to bring up Benson or any of his peers is the best short term solution, but I think there’s merit to bringing them up one at a time for long term development at this point.

13. HugThePost says:

Lowetide: Maybe there’s been growth from both sides. Oilers need wingers, every man on this team knows that for sure.

Possible. Maybe the Oilers should send in Jari Kurri with the olive branch?

14. Reja says:

Bling:

I’m less optimistic that Benson and Yamamoto are ready now.

Both guys may need a full year in the A.

15. tileguy says:

dessert1111,

One up, so who goes down?

16. dessert1111 says:

tileguy:
    dessert1111,

One up, so who goes down?

The sad thing is there is no shortage of candidates.

If it’s a winger (ie not Marody), any of Granlund, Russell, Archibald, Gagner, or Nygard, roughly in that order of preference for me.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

I know many are disapointed with the performance of the Condors as a whole and many individuals.

As far as the team as a whole, Shane Starrett’s injury plagued season is the main reason the team hasn’t performed well. Its unfortunate that neither Skinner nor Wells have been able to help them tread water.

As far as individuals, while, yes, Marody’s season has been disappointing given last year and Benson a bit as well (although he started off a little slow last year as well).

As the same time, with the other higher end prospects, lets not forget that the jump from CHL to the AHL is massive and expectations for non first round drafted CHL rookies, even talented one’s should be someone low.

Yamamoto, while his production is a bit disapointing, his overall game really isn’t – he is playing with lesser talented players generally – yes, Malone and Joe G. are plus AHL players but don’t play a skill game and, frankly, don’t convert or create chances off the rush and with skill that fits with Kailer.

I’ve come to the opinion that Kailer may not be full time top 6 NHL guy due to a lack of finishing ability or one dynamic offensive skill – with that said, he is becoming the “swiss knife” player and I can see him being a heck of third line PK guy – a tenacious forechecking energy player that has some skill – causes turnovers, draws penalties, great on the PK, etc.

McLeod shows flashes of high end abillit – his speed is noticeable – he’s learning the pro game – playing both wing and center with tons of PK time.

Makismov is also learning the pro game and has had some plus offensive games – also big PK minutes.

Maksi and McLeod are two forwards that will need a few years and, next year, are going to be huge AHL players.

Sammy has progressed a TON in the first 3 months of the year – he was very raw and “junior” to start the year but is now playing solid at evens and I look for him to move in to the top 4 by the end of the year.

These three guys are rookie pros and are progressing at reasonable development rates.

I’m happy with them.

18. Woodguy v2.0 says:

dessert1111,

I’m bringing up Benson today and getting him acclimated to the NHL as Neal or Chiasson are not long term solutions to the 2nd line and he might be.

19. Sierra says:

Woodguy v2.0:

Center – Left Wing – Right Wing
    McDavid-Draisaitl-Kassian -47.6%
    Nuge – Neal – Chiasson – 61.3%
    Sheahan – Nygaard – Archibald – 52.7%
    Haas – Khaira – Gagner – 81.5%

McDavid’s line still has 54.9% GF

Their shitty xGF% is due to Draisaitl’s amazingly shitty December.Before December that line was 51.8% xGF and 61.0% GF and I expect them back up close to that level now with a rested and (hopefully) refocused Drai, as well as a less compressed schedule coming up until the end of January.

Nuge’s line is starting to get some history buttressing their results

Their CF% is 57.5% and GF% is 55.6% so they are full value for their results.Doesn’t match the eye test but there are no pictures on the scorecard.

Given this post, do the Oilers need to trade for a 2nd line winger?

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Reja: Armia goes to the net always has. Jesse not so much big reason why he’s playing in the North Pole.

This post is hilarious.

When Armia was JP’s age he still hadn’t played a NHL game.

You have no idea what he was at JP’s age what he did at JP’s age in the NHL because he wasn’t there.

Armia hit the AHL at age 20 and put up 0.50pts/gm, with his goals per game being 0.13/gm
    JP hit the AHL at age 18 and put up 0.72pts/gm, with his goals per game being 0.31/gm

Armia’s next year, his 21 year old year Armia matched JP’s 18 year old year out put in the AHL with 0.76pts/gm and 0.30 goals per game.

In his 21 year old year JP split for Finland.

21. v4ance says:

OriginalPouzar,

I’m starting to think Yamamoto might be a Cogliano type player….

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Sierra: Given this post, do the Oilers need to trade for a 2nd line winger?

They need them long term for sure.

If I was in Holland’s shoes I don’t spend any quality assets on a rental unless I’m sure I have good chance of re-signing them.

18-93-39 isn’t guaranteed to keep on keeping on, but for now it floats.

23. HugThePost says:

v4ance:
    OriginalPouzar,

I’m starting to think Yamamoto might be a Cogliano type player….

If Yamo turns out to be a modern version of Marchant/ Cogliano, I would be pretty happy with that; he would be quite useful.

24. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0:

Center – Left Wing – Right Wing
    McDavid-Draisaitl-Kassian -47.6%
    Nuge – Neal – Chiasson – 61.3%
    Sheahan – Nygaard – Archibald – 52.7%
    Haas – Khaira – Gagner – 81.5%

McDavid’s line still has 54.9% GF

TOI together:
    McDavid-Draisaitl-Kassian -429min
    Nuge – Neal – Chiasson – 121min
    Sheahan – Nygaard – Archibald – 49min
    Haas – Khaira – Gagner – 9min

Nuge’s line is starting to get some history buttressing their results

Nygaard with Sheahan is new but its looking like the coach will stick with it.

Haas’s line has one game together where they killed it.Haas and Khaira have another game together are above 50% results.

I’d bring up Benson and work him into the Haas line.Once I was comfortable with his play vs those NHLers’ I’d move him up as needed.

For those who say “Benson needs a top 6 role, don’t bring him up to play the 4th line” I submit to you that most NHLers who aren’t “sure fire stars” or in bad orgs (like EDM) start their NHL career in the bottom six.Its always been the right thing to do.

The AHL prepares players for bottom 6 NHL roles.

Bottom 6 NHL roles prepares players for top 6 NHL roles.

This includes such players as:

Tyfolli
    JT Miller
    Anisimov
    Zucker
    M.Grandlund
    Kadri
    Krejci

Don’t let your experience being an Oiler fan colour this issue.

There are also bad teams who put young players in positions to get their heads kicked in by the best hockey players in the world.They are bad teams for a reason, this one being among them.

If we’re liking Haas at 3 C (easier minutes speed), then it’s top 6 wingers and a 4th line C (the coach’s D oriented line) if we don’t like Shearan enough there.

And another NHL quality goalie.

EDit: Wrong Irishman. SheaHan.

25. Scungilli Slushy says:

I agree with LT about JP. At the same time i don’t think he’ll cover his draft position. But as he matures there is a lot of hockey player there, and if he wants to use it for NHL purposes he would be IMO one of those strong backbone players that contending and Champ teams have as a foundation.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Canada and US on the TV and streaming Sweden on TSN 3.

Lets do this!

27. who says:

Couldn’t agree more with your assessment of JP. If we really want a winger to help drive the 2nd line this player is still the best bet in the Oilers system.
    Now maybe that doesn’t say much about our organization, but looks like most of the high end prospects are defenseman. JP is still the best forward prospect in the system and my hope is he comes back to Edmonton next year. I am fine with Holland sitting on his hands rather than trading JP for a 2nd rounder or B level prospect.
    However, if that bridge has been burned, do you think it is possible to package him with Neal for a complete riddance of Neals contract?
    I think that trade has more value to the Oilers than Gauthier or Anderson.

28. Oilman99 says:

v4ance,

His injury record suggests there is no way Yamamoto is anywhere near as tough and resilient as Cogs, unless he can put on another 20lb.of muscle.

29. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Anyone have a good source to stream the WJC game today?

My feed at onhockey. tv is kinda flaky.

30. tileguy says:

dessert1111: The sad thing is there is no shortage of candidates.

So now that it is after Xmas, when we send somebody down are we giving up on them for all time?

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Broberg out killing a 5 on 3.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Lavoie on PP2

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Thanks for the analysis. This means that finding more bottom 6 forwards isn’t a good plan, two are coming next season likely.

And another NHL quality goalie.

EDit: Wrong Irishman. SheaHan.

44 is ok at 2.5MM or less.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Some solid play from Lavoie in his couple first period shifts – a nice little back hand on net earlier and some good battle and puck retrieval behind the US net. He was on PP2 they didn’t get set up.

35. Bulging Twine says:

Lavoie is a quick thinker with quick hands.
    Also looks calm under pressure with the puck

36. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

So that Zegras kid has some sick mitts and that Kaliyev fellow can shoot the pill.

Who knew?

37. Reja says:

Woodguy v2.0: This post is hilarious.

When Armia was JP’s age he still hadn’t played a NHL game.

In his 21 year old year JP split for Finland.

It’ll be interesting for me anyhow who ends up with more games, goals and points at the NHL level for their careers.

38. Munny says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Pretty much everyone?

39. Sierra says:

Woodguy v2.0: Outsde of 97, 29 and 93 there isn’t a slot on the forward roster that doesn’t need upgrading imo.

44 is ok at 2.5MM or less.

After all these years we are still saying the same thing. Same as it ever was.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert: The sad thing is there is no shortage of candidates.

Josh Archibald should not be in that group, in my opinion.

He is a legit every day NHL player.

41. Reja says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

Who knew?

That’s who I wanted first Zegras out of all the forwards was surprised when Holland picked Broberg. I hope he proves me wrong in a big way.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

vance:
    OriginalPouzar,

I’m starting to think Yamamoto might be a Cogliano type player….

Not a bad comparison – he doesn’t have Cogs’ straight speed but has a bit more skill.

If Kailer has a Cogs type career – then we hit it out of the park with that pick!

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Lavoie with a nice little play on the wall and he picks up an assist on the Canada’s first goal.

A lacrosse style goal was just scored by Sweden.

44. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar:

A lacrosse style goal was just scored by Sweden.

Canucks prospect Hoglander.
    Also scored a lacrosse goal recently in league play

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Don’t give Lafreniere time and space on the PP and don’t let Canada shoot on the PP from the top of the right circles.

Canada has dominated that last 20 minutes of this game.

46. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Munny,

(That was the joke.)

47. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

How comparable are Lavoie and Whalstrom?

48. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Reja,

I wasn’t a fan of Zegras, wanted Krebs or Cozens. But the Broberg pick has me intrigued, he’s been trending well IMO. High potential. Nabbing Lavoie in the 2nd was a nice get and fills a need in the pipeline.

49. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Jamie Drysdale the only one not puck watching on that play. Kid is a gamer. And my word, can he skate.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

HugThePost: If Yamo turns out to be a modern version of Marchant/ Cogliano, I would be pretty happy with that, he would be quite useful.

Marchant with almost 1200 NHL games and Cogs approaching 1000 – yup, I’ll take that type of career from a bottom third first round pick.

51. LadiesloveSmid says:

I’d call up Benson & Yamamoto. Maybe Marody too.

The team sucks. Could do without Khaira, Sheahan, Neal, Archibald. They’re dropping like a bag of bricks right now, not like they’re risking much. Playing the worst hockey of their season.

52. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Broberg out killing a 5 on 3.

How did it turn out?

53. Ben says:

Anyone got eyes on Broberg?

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Canada’s fourth line with McMichael, Thomas, Lavoie have had o-zone pressure almost ever shift and, of course the big goal.

Great depth on this team.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

My goodness, what a play by Lafreniere – three PP assists setting up shots from the top of the circles.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

The two best skaters on each team, Nick Robertson and Lafreniere with massive plays seconds apart.

Robertson with a great PP assist to tie the game – Lafrieniere gives Canada the lead back 7 seconds later, knocking down a pass and going in alone.

Robertson: I remember some Oiler fans wanting him chosen with the Lavoie pick this back June.

If his size isn’t an issue at the pro level, the Leafs have a solid prospect.

57. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

This has been a thoroughly enjoyable game.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Lavoie line out there with a one-goal lead with under 3 min to go.

Good trust from Hunter.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Broberg out there for 3 on 3 OT.

60. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Nice save by the coach!

61. Derek says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Nice save by the coach!

That catch by the coach could’ve just saved the game if Gord and Ray are interpreting it correctly.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Not many undrafted Canadians make this type of impact on Team Canada – speaking of Lafreniere.

I don’t recall even McDavid making this type of impact in his draft year.

63. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Derek,

Saved a crucial PK at the very least.

64. ArmchairGM says:

If Holland wants to convince Puljujarvi to come back he’ll have to bring in a guy like Koivu or Mikael Granlund to partner with him, both for mentorship off the ice and a skilled linemate on the ice. I don’t see it working otherwise.

Koivu is nearly done but still has what it takes to be a successful 3C for another year or two, I think Holland could pick him up in the summer on a cheap 1-year deal. Granlund’s production has been poor ever since he went to NSH, I think he’d take a pay cut on a short term contract to prove himself again.

65. who says:

OriginalPouzar:

I don’t recall even McDavid making this type of impact in his draft year.

18 yr old vs 17 yr old.
    Apples and oranges.

66. Wilde says:

who: 18 yr old vs 17 yr old.
    Apples and oranges.

They’re three months apart

67. who says:

Wilde: They’re three months apart

Doesn’t matter.
    I’ve argued this before but I’ll try again.
    These kids play against their own birth year all the way through minor hockey, junior hockey, and these international tournaments. And yet some people want to compare them by draft year. Makes no sense.

68. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

who,

Except Connor played with the age group one year older since he was like 11 years old.

69. Wilde says:

who: Doesn’t matter.
    I’ve argued this before but I’ll try again.

Yes it does, the difference between a year and a quarter of a year does matter.

You’re just doing the same arbitrary cutoff without an argument for doing so, imo it should just be imperfect, pure age adjustment with the knowledge that it is imperfect

Making a binary distinction based on whether or not they’re 18 or 17 is the same as making the binary based on which draft year they are

There would MAYBE be something to an argument about the competition they play against, if that wasn’t fluid, but it is.

No idea how it’s even arguable that kids “play against their own birth year all the way through minor hockey, junior hockey, and these international tournaments”. That’s just… not reality? It’s fluid. There are pools of different age groups and there are exceptions to who’s in which pool.

70. Silver Streak says:

I watched the Canadian game but flicked over to see Broberg quite often with no luck.
    Couldn`t find a stat on his ice time and other stats….WTF was he injured or benched ?

Lavoie played very well….even saw ice with 1 goal lead and 2 to play….he does need to develop a better first two strides….

71. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Sierra: After all these years we are still saying the same thing. Same as it ever was.

*pours 5 fingers of methylhydrate*

72. SwedishPoster says:

While the WJCs are nice and all Oiler prospects showed well. The Oiler prospect of the night was Filip Berglund who scored a hattrick and added an assist for good measure in a 7-0 win for his SHL team tonight. That’s a solid night for a defensively strong D don’t you think?

73. Wilde says:

I’ve now finished all 78 (68 regular, 10 playoff) 2018-19 season Condors games, now I just have to crunch the numbers.

I’m interested to see how much difference there was in each players numbers from my initial sample (~66% of the season) but also now that I have everything in the updated system I can do WOWYs and score adjustment much quicker. Also been picking up the penalties taken and penalties drawn in each of the games, which weren’t there initially but are a pretty weighty portion of the Game Score metric.

Particularly of note will be how much Yamamoto was drawing penalties last year. Since I saved a bunch of the prospect-stats (RIP) stuff from Bakersfield last year, the estimated time-on-ice totals will fill in a ton of detail on how much players like him (and Hebig) changed when they were up and down the lineup.

Another player that I want to look at is Jakob Stukel, whose 5-on-5 numbers in the ECHL would be nice to have. He’s generally stood out this year by eye (scored a nutty goal last game) and actually didn’t produce poorly at all in the 10 games he played last year. I tend to think that there’s a ton of ECHL players that should really just be full-time AHLers, but fall into familiar circumstances with regards to attempted roster alchemy.

74. SwedishPoster says:

Silver Streak:

Lavoie played very well….even saw ice with1 goal lead and 2 to play….he does need to develop a better first two strides….

Broberg played about 18 minutes, no PP, sweden’s main PK D, started out pretty quiet 5on5 but imo he defended well all along. Came on from the third when he started making more plays and finished real strong. Got a minus on whatvwas essentially a PP goal, could probably have done a better job cutting off the passing lane but it was Björnfot who lost position who was the main issue.
    Was fourth in ice time among D, the three ahead of him were all on the PP(Finland had 12 mins in the sin bin). 5v5 I think he was probably 2nd-3rd in toi. Not dominant but overall a solid start.

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

I don’t recall even McDavid making this type of impact in his draft year.

He’s probably most like Lindros who scored 17pts in 7gp as a 17 year old at this tourney.

Lemiuex scored 10 in 7gp as a 17 year old he was big at that age too.

He’s probably between those two for his career, but closer to Lemiuex barring injury.

He’s not quite as large as Lindros but he’s more skilled.

He’s like a Lemiuex-lite which might make him a top 5 NHL player by the time he’s 20.

76. SwedishPoster says:

Highlights from Berglund’s hattrick game on the link, might need a swedish VPN to watch it. His shot is pretty damn good! As I’ve mentioned before he had a pro ready shot already in juniors but since arriving in the SHL it’s seemed like he hasn’t really focused on improving it but this season he’s added an edge to it and in this game it really shows. His goals are the first, second and fourth plus his shot caused the rebound that leads to the sixth goal.

77. tileguy says:

SwedishPoster,

Tack, also for pointing out which goals to watch for.

78. who says:

Wilde: Yes it does, the difference between a year and a quarter of a year does matter.

No idea how it’s even arguable that kids “play against their own birth year all the way through minor hockey, junior hockey, and these international tournaments”. That’s just.. not reality? It’s fluid. There are pools of different age groups and there are exceptions to who’s in which pool.

I agree. Birth year is an imperfect model for comparables. But it’s better than draft year.
    I don’t have the energy to argue this but let’s use Lavoie as an example. Is he a better comparable for Barret Haydon? Or Dylan Cozens?

79. Oilpower says:

Woodguy v2.0: The thing Lafreniere has that McDavid didn’t is “man size/strength” compared to his peers.

Lemiuex scored 10 in 7gp as a 17 year old he was big at that age too.

He’s not quite as large as Lindros but he’s more skilled.

So when the Oilers miss the playoffs by one point but win the draft lottery he will be a nice consolation prize. Really help balance the top 6. In this scenario we might as well add that hall comes back on a 3 by 7 million dollar deal, and jp comes over and wins a top six job on merit. And Holland uses the 2021 first round pick to drop the Neal deal.

80. Wilde says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I remember when McDavid hit the level physically where he became as quick-processing/layered during board play as he’s always been when carrying the puck in open ice; where he essentially has a play to protect himself and the puck for every single approach the checker takes, and a plan to salvage it if he messes up, that was basically when I knew that the Oilers, to an extent, couldn’t fuck this up in terms of his individual results. He made it impossible.

People tend to talk about augmenting McDavid’s offensive game, and I think they’re correct in this, that there’d be much more offensive production from him if there was better (and more) smooth transitions; people talk about good passing D hitting him with speed (or, if they’re more precise, hitting the winger who bumps it to him with speed) but I think, in total, he’ll get more Actual Points if there’s more talent to take advantage of how good he is at retaining possession for the team in the OZ.

Part of that is the ceiling placed on his rush offense by the officiating, but I remember in the preseason/early reg. season of 2017-18 getting over my skis about the Yamamoto-McDavid pairing because of what they were generating out of the cycle. Don’t think I actually posted anything too embarrassing to read now, with hindsight, but I know I was thinking stuff that didn’t end up being real.

I still believe in Yamamoto, but if he was about cashing those types of goals he’d be avoiding the team-wide CF-GF drought on the Condors to a greater degree than he currently is.

Regardless of the supply, the demand is there. If he ever gets those 150-point seasons I’m confident he has in him, it’ll be a live-wire powerplay that’s reminiscent of the one we’re seeing now, and a ton of extra points from the cycle play of a three-player line with a late-20’s-Hornqvist-type player alongside Draisaitl or Nuge or whoever.

(and some empty-net points from a more successful campaign than this, etc)

81. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: Canucks prospect Hoglander.
    Also scored a lacrosse goal recently in league play

More importantly did Bow’s girlfriend use mayo or miracle whip on his leftover turkey sandwich at lunch.

82. geowal says:

Just back from Sweden-Finland, opted to see this game as the best one in Trinec before seeing Canada games in Ostrava later.
    Watched Broberg a lot, my thoughts:
    -clearly the #1pk dman, including 2 of 3 shifts on the 5 on 3, lots of calls in this game
    -quite short shifts much of the game especially in 2nd
    -played most of the night on his offside, I’m not sure if he started there, seemed to be an injury at one point. While he was fine there, when he was on the left side was like unbottling his skating, those were the times he rushed, like he wasn’t sure about trying from the right side.
    -reminds me of Nurse in a lot of ways, for better or worse
    -good battle, uses size and reach fairly effectively. Didn’t win them all, but most.
    -defensively was a lot more sound than I expected based on how some people have talked about bu
    -one time on the left side blew into the zone and set up an amazing chance that pretty much sealed the player of game nod for Finland’s goalie
    -his stature really stands out in this group, I was in row 6 behind the goalie and he has a noticeably bigger frame
    -helped with a momentum change shift that ultimately ontributed to Sweden’s tie goal late in the 3rd by the next line up.
    -Not really a wow game, but then I’d say that for all of Sweden D. Sandin didn’t seem that noticeable till a few minutes left, but you can see his tools too. But ports bit biased to Broberg

83. teddyturnbuckle says:

What a Strange season for Draisaitl. First 20 games he was the heart trophy 🏆 leader and now he drags down any line he is on. Splitting up the top line wasn’t about spreading out the offence, it was about trying to get Leon into a center position so maybe he might play better defensively. Who knows what Tippet will do next. If he is that tired then scratch him. Maybe the Oilers win against Vancouver if he was scratched. He was -3 that game including en. He is the worst +- player in the league over the last 20 games and it isn’t close. I noticed when he was interviewed between periods the other night he sounded completely void of confidence.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

who:
    Now maybe that doesn’t say much about ourorganization, but looks like most of the high end prospects are defenseman. JPis still the best forward prospect in the system and my hope is he comes back to Edmonton next year. I am fine with Holland sitting on his hands rather than trading JP for a 2nd rounder or B level prospect.
    I think that trade has more value to the Oilers than Gauthier or Anderson.

Oubviously not quite the same scenario as Bear wasn’t refusing to play in the organization but Jesse is younger than Bear and higher pedigree than Bear.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy: Outsde of 97, 29 and 93 there isn’t a slot on the forward roster that doesn’t need upgrading imo.

44 is ok at 2.5MM or less.

The spot with Stauffer was interesting as one person was talking about what the player should get and the other was talking about what the player is going to get.

Neither were wrong.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

Who knew?

and that Broberg kid can skate and defend and is super young. Who knew?

We knew those kids were good but we also know the Broberg kid is good.

It will be years before we know if Holland made the “right pick”.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

HarpersHair: Canucks prospect Hoglander.
    Also scored a lacrosse goal recently in league play

That was a beauty.

Not sure why the comment is made on this platform or why my post was responded to mind you.

Doesn’t seem like the right platform to post out of nowhere about something that has nothing to do with the Oilers and nothing to do with Team Canada.

88. Professor Q says:

I think Holland may have been thinking of taking Seider before Detroit took him, and maybe Dach before that. He didn’t seem too intrigued with the USNTD players. But it’s neither here nor there.

89. Rube Foster says:

LT,

You have the patience of a father.

I am on board the DO NOT trade Jesse P Train – unless Holland can get full value back, which appears doubtful. A full year of development in the mother land might just be what young Mr. Puljujarvi needs to fulfil his massive potential.

Bling and Woodguy’s Armia comp have me hopeful as the new decade dawns. A confidant and comfortable, fast, gigantic Fin, with a nice offensive touch would sure look nice riding shotgun with the Nuge.

Brother Reja, C’mon man, give the Finnish man child one more chance. Don’t you remeber what life was like when you were 20? A new decade, a new chapter.

90. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: That was a beauty.

Not sure why you are so insular and defensive.

Both Team Canada and the Oilers will have to deal with Hoglander in the near future.

Is it now verboten to discuss players on other teams because it offends you?

91. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I’d call up Benson & Yamamoto. Maybe Marody too.

Archibald and Sheahan are trending up right now, not dropping, aren’t they?

In particular Archie who has settled in and is a very effective player at evens – a fourth line player but an effective one.

If anyone is to go down for two call-ups, it has to be P. Russell and Granlund over Sheahan and Archie, in my opinion.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: How did it turn out?

It was a lengthy 5 on 3 and Finland didn’t score.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

who: 18 yr old vs 17 yr old.
    Apples and oranges.

McDavid turned 18 during the month of the tournament where he had 4 points in 7 games.

Lafriniere turned 18 like 3 months before the tournament where he had 4 points in 1 game.

I’m not sure that 3 month age difference changes the fruit, does it?

Or is my math wrong?

94. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar,

Umm because this is a Canucks blog.

95. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

OriginalPouzar:

If his size isn’t an issue at the pro level, the Leafs have a solid prospect.

I’ll go on record (and have elsewhere) saying that he’s who I wanted with that pick. The pace he plays with and the effort he gives in combination with his sick hands and his shot are precisely what our Cs need on their flanks. Solid trash-talker from what I’ve read, too 😛

96. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster:

Great stuff – is there a reason for the offensive explostion?

97. OriginalPouzar says:

HarpersHair: Not sure why you are so insular and defensive.

Is it now verboten to discuss players on other teams because it offends you?

I was neither defensive nor was I, or am I, offended.

Just a bit mystified by a random comment that had zero to do with the content of the blog or any ancillary conversation that was going on.

The only possible connection I can make is a wild attempt to show that a rival organization also has prospects that can make plays – quite certain we all knew that.

Do what you will.

98. nelson88 says:

IiIHF has yet to give Lavoie credit for his assist. Fairly obvious one (Ferraro was duly impressed) so assume they will get it fixed

99. OriginalPouzar says:

nelson:

It was a solid play by Lavoie (and he definitely should have an assist) but Ferarro was pretty over-the-top with his praise. Don’t get me wrong, I love(d) the attention Lavoie was getting but I didn’t think it was that spectacular a play.

Solid first game for Lavoie. That line made a positive impact on most shifts.

100. Genjutsu says:

OriginalPouzar: It was a solid play by Lavoie (and he definitely should have an assist) but Ferarro was pretty over-the-top with his praise.Don’t get me wrong, I love(d) the attention Lavoie was getting but I didn’t think it was that spectacular a play.

Solid first game for Lavoie.That line made a positive impact on most shifts.

Agreed. Lavoie looks like the player we need big, can skate, good hands, volume shooter.

Glad Holland kept his powder dry. If they can pick up a skill C with the first and another skill W with the second I’ll be much more comfortable about the future.

101. innercitysmytty says:

OriginalPouzar,

The WJC where Connor turned 18 right after the tournament he had 11 points in 7 games and was 3 months younger than AL is now. Connor was 16 going on 17 when he had 4 points.

102. who says:

OriginalPouzar: To the proposition at the end, 6 months ago there was the though of attaching Ethan Bear to the Milan Lucic to try and get a semi-clean riddance of that contract.

Yeah, my first choice is JP playing for the Oilers next season.
    But if he refuses to sign with Edmonton, I wonder if a disposition of the entire Neal contract would be a better return than anyone we can get in trade for him.
    For instance, would a rebuilding team like Ottawa be willing to take on Neals contract in return for another young, talented player.

103. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: Not sure why you are so insular and defensive.

Is it now verboten to discuss players on other teams because it offends you?

I heard somewhere that the entire Pacific division all equally have the best prospects in their systems but especially the Canucks, and are all trending up with better season odds than the lowly Oilers.

It’s been covered ad nauseum. Followed by the clear fluid. So covered.

104. OriginalPouzar says:

innercitysmytty:
    OriginalPouzar,

Right – my math was off by a year – thank you.

Still, premise is the same – even in that 11 points in 7 games, I don’t recall McDavid being the centerpiece and as dominant as AL was today. Just saying. Of course, it was only one game as well.

105. jtblack says:

AGE. Lafrienierre turned 18 in OCT. He will play the whole season as an 18 yr old.

Byfield is still 17 and wont turn 18 until August. these 2 players are 10 months apart; yet will be picked #1 & #2.

No point except to say some.kids are almost 1 year younger than some of their draft peers

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Konovalov will be playing in the KHL all-star game.

107. Wilde says:

Also, LT, I didn’t say this at the time (or I’ve forgotten) but I think the point-per-game mark for Bouchard was above reasonable. We have so very few comparables in terms of production, but in Ellis’s case he scored 34 points in his opening 68 games (20, 21) in Milwaukee.

Wilde: